Forum Settings
Forums

Is modern anime so bad now that even mediocre movies/tv series are superior?

New
Oct 29, 2023 1:13 AM

Apr 2022
There’s a very famous Greek anime review that’s known for bashing numerous popular anime/manga and is worshipped as the best reviewer out there for anime given his “critical thinking” and the fact that he’s seen over 2000 anime. A week ago he released a video with a very interesting take: movies are better than modern anime.

Some of the choices he claimed are superior to all anime this year are pretty weird such as live action one piece and the third Guardians of the Galaxy film. Some of the films he cited are even mediocre. For instance he cited Last of Us as being superior to Heavenly Delusion and Zom 100. So I’m curious as to what you guys think? Is anime so bad now that even something like live action one piece is better than everything? Are capeshit like The Flash superior to the likes of Vinland Saga, Frieren and Pluto? Granted I don’t really wanna mention indie flicks or international flicks, but curious as to how mainstream blockbusters fare up again the cream of the crop of anime this year?

What are your thoughts? Personally, I like quite a few movies this year more than the anime I’ve seen, but anime such as Vinland, Frieren, Nier and even undead girl murder farce I’ve rated higher than most western movies that have come out recently.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Oct 29, 2023 1:21 AM

Feb 2020
Not for me. Anime is always superior. :)
Oct 29, 2023 1:27 AM

Jul 2021
Hollywood has become basically unwatchable in recent years, so that's why I started watching anime.
Oct 29, 2023 1:59 AM

Mar 2023
Most modern culture nowadays sucks. Anime and non-anime alike.
Oct 29, 2023 2:22 AM

Oct 2013
It actually true. I'd rather watch the boys than mha.
Oct 29, 2023 2:23 AM

Oct 2020
This is all from my personal opinion but I believe the only movie this year that's better than all anime of this year would be Oppenheimer. However shows like Pluto and Vinland Saga are only slightly behind. You can see how low the bar is for what people consider "quality movies" with movies like the Barbie movie and Mario bros movie getting all the buzz even though thee are by no means any higher than a 5/10. Also take a look at the poor state of superhero movies these days, hollywood's cash cow is now a shell of it's former self. I can also go on about how many minority pandering shows there are these days (literally anything made by disney). But on the other hand, anime also has a bunch of trashy isekai power fantasies pumped out every season. Therefore, I'd say that movies and anime are roughly equal in the amount of quality and trash they produce.
Oct 29, 2023 5:12 AM

Apr 2022
Reply to blizar
This is all from my personal opinion but I believe the only movie this year that's better than all anime of this year would be Oppenheimer. However shows like Pluto and Vinland Saga are only slightly behind. You can see how low the bar is for what people consider "quality movies" with movies like the Barbie movie and Mario bros movie getting all the buzz even though thee are by no means any higher than a 5/10. Also take a look at the poor state of superhero movies these days, hollywood's cash cow is now a shell of it's former self. I can also go on about how many minority pandering shows there are these days (literally anything made by disney). But on the other hand, anime also has a bunch of trashy isekai power fantasies pumped out every season. Therefore, I'd say that movies and anime are roughly equal in the amount of quality and trash they produce.
@blizar I wouldn’t classify Oppenheimer as “mediocre” even though I’m not a huge fan of it.
Oct 29, 2023 5:14 AM

Oct 2020
Runasius said:
@blizar I wouldn’t classify Oppenheimer as “mediocre” even though I’m not a huge fan of it.

in the first sentence I said Oppenheimer is better than all anime of this year. said nothing about it being mediocre
Oct 29, 2023 5:16 AM
Jul 2018
No, modern TV and film have dropped through the floor in quality while anime is getting better and better.
Oct 29, 2023 5:19 AM

Jun 2016
The natural order of things has been restored.
90% of anime suck
90% of movies suck
90% of entertainment media suck
Just like God intended
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Oct 29, 2023 5:59 AM

May 2018
Y'all remember Mars of Destruction, the so-called worst anime in history? The current situation in anime industry is so sad that at least half of titles each season are on the same level as Mars of Destruction. The worst anime just stopped being the worst and has become one of many. That's the reason why I raised its score from 1/10 to 2/10, because it's not unique anymore.
Anyway, the situation with western movies and series is kinda the same: It has been getting worse exponentionally.
Nemo_NiemandOct 29, 2023 6:02 AM

Oct 29, 2023 6:03 AM
Sep 2018
?? Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou, Heike Monogatari. Here and now, in recent years, a bunch of masterpiece anime have been released that in 12 episodes do everything better than, say, some Oda with its One Piece and 25+ years of mediocre writing. It’s just that in the modern world the most important thing is hype, just need to learn to ignore the hype and start thinking for yourself. One Piece is a great example in this regard, over the last 15 years it has been written a little better than Fairy Tail, but you can hardly find any critics of it, why? because he's on hype!
Oct 29, 2023 6:27 AM
Jul 2018
I find anime as better. Yes, lots of anime is not for me, but I still enjoy anime more than movies, serials. I re-watch some old movies, but modern ones...ugh. Yes, modern movies has better special effects, but I don't care for them, since my favorite genre is comedy.
Oct 29, 2023 6:30 AM
Sep 2021
I disagree with the sentiment that mediocre movies and TV series are superior to modern anime as a whole. However, if I were to compare both mediums in their entirety, I would say that movies and TV are superior. Why?

Movies and TV invest more money (because they have more to invest).

The film industry has been around longer, giving ample time to develop and "perfect" systems for pre-production, production, and post-production.

There is a lot that goes into green-lighting a project in the film/TV industry. There are a lot more people/interests involved. There is also a lot more money on the line.

Audience targeting works differently. Films/TV focus on a more general audience (including foreign markets). More people = more money. Although anime is growing in popularity, I still notice generational divisions in interest on the western front. I'm not entirely sure what this looks like in Japan.

Granted, western movies today - more specifically the modern blockbusters - are "whatever" to me. They are designed to be commercially successful, but after so many iterations they fail to capture my interest. Take a risk. Make something new. Make something different.

Oct 29, 2023 6:42 AM

Sep 2009
Hahaha. I hope you're joking, OP.

Because it's the opposite.

Oct 29, 2023 6:44 AM

Jun 2012
Seems like these bait threads are using ChatGPT now?
Oct 29, 2023 6:50 AM

Aug 2021
No anime is still good ^_^ people can still watch it
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 29, 2023 7:02 AM

Feb 2023
Pretty sure it's the other way around, dude.
Oct 29, 2023 7:02 AM

Feb 2023
No. Unlike many mediums of entertainment, anime has generally tended to get better over time. While it fell down HARD from 2016-2022, it has started recovering in 2023, and is better than other TV again.
Oct 29, 2023 7:04 AM

Jan 2021
Well given this year has given me several new anime to enjoy such as Fate/Strange Fake, Goblin Slayer II and Pluto I'd say I have actually been preferring anime over modern western media.
Sometimes it takes a real man to be best girl. Gilgamesh is also chad.

[/center]
Oct 29, 2023 7:41 AM

Dec 2021
Unfortunately, yes. Anime is almost exclusively half-assed fanservice these days, and it ain't hard for Hollywood to beat that.
Oct 29, 2023 7:44 AM

Jan 2023
Might be the other way around, where anime is improving while western media is going down in a blaze of hell.
Oct 29, 2023 8:03 AM

Oct 2016
Stagfire, this is a new level of petty, man.

He is infamous more than famous and is worshipped by a very little following, and you know it.

I've seen you saying that GOTG 3 and The Last Of Us are good, and here you use them as examples in a negative way, come on now.

I wish I could answer your questions but I don't watch much live action to begin with to compare the two mediums. If you asked this last year I would have said, yes, western media was better than anime last year.

This year? I watched very few movies and shows, but so far I have to go with anime.

Videogames was the best medium for entertainment this year anyways.
Oct 29, 2023 8:16 AM
Dec 2021
I reckon MindHunter is better than any Psychological anime.
I reckon Queen's Gambit is better than any sports/board-game anime bar Chihayafuru.

He is not too wrong.
Oct 29, 2023 11:03 AM

Aug 2010
LOL, the only people saying that are the ones who have seen like five mainstream anime in the last ten years.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Oct 29, 2023 11:27 AM

Jul 2021
i don't remember seeing any masterpiece movies/tv shows being released recently whereas we are constantly getting high grade animes every year.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Oct 29, 2023 11:41 AM

Feb 2016
Runasius said:
Are capeshit like The Flash superior

You just had to name a movie that is hated even by fans of the genre. 😂
その目だれの目?
Oct 29, 2023 11:44 AM

Feb 2016
hlepme said:
Zom 100 is an incredibly mediocre show that if aired 10 years ago would be nothing special but now is worshipped as the saving grace of all anime even though it's a paint-by-number zombie show

I believe a paint-by-number zombie show would have been even more popular 10 years ago.

hlepme said:
I'd say there are still good anime being produced, but that is carried HARD by adapting good things.

Makes me wonder why Hollywood doesn't spend more of their money adapting good things.
その目だれの目?
Oct 29, 2023 11:49 AM

Nov 2021
Video games are superior to both anime and tv shows.
Oct 29, 2023 12:03 PM

Jul 2022
It makes sense because I think it's hard for me to find an anime that I can consider a masterpiece or even just good. I come across movies and series on that level more often. However, animation has a lot more creative freedom, and anime, being the best in this medium, has enormous potential, so I never rule it out because there's always the chance of finding that peak that can surpass the best films and series.

But at the end of the day, everything is subjective. Pure objectivity in criticism is bs.

And anyway, I don't think it's fair to compare oranges to apples for starters.
SmawaruOct 29, 2023 12:20 PM
Oct 29, 2023 12:34 PM

Oct 2017
Neither is really better really. There's just been so much media created now than ever before so there's a lot more content to look through to find the things that you would enjoy.
This post is brought to you by your local transfem gamer goblin. Will not tolerate bigotry and will fight against "anti-woke" sentiment to make the anime community a safer place.
Oct 29, 2023 12:50 PM

Oct 2013
Had to go back a read this whole thing. The person compared The Last Of Us to newer anime? Really? A comparison like that is enough to not take them seriously. I could say the new Spider-man game is better than 90% of anime I've watched, and while I do believe that statement, it's also an unbalanced comparison. You might as well be comparing the newest best selling novel to a new sitcom series. They aren't even in the same realm. This is where the phrase "apples to oranges" come from. The only common ground is they're both fruit just like the only common ground between games and anime is they're both entertainment media.
Oct 29, 2023 12:51 PM
Jun 2021
IMHO fiction in general has become low-level garbage as a whole. There just isn't the innovation that used to grace our imagination anymore.
Hot Blood saves lives.
Oct 29, 2023 1:03 PM

Feb 2016
@FanofAction
He's talking about the live-action Last of Us adaptation.
その目だれの目?
Oct 29, 2023 1:12 PM

May 2020
Everything and every modern media suck. That's the honest truth.

MAL is the perfect place to shit talk about people's opinions.
Oct 29, 2023 1:12 PM

Aug 2016
Runasius said:
There’s a very famous Greek anime review that’s known for bashing numerous popular anime/manga and is worshipped as the best reviewer out there for anime given his “critical thinking” and the fact that he’s seen over 2000 anime.

I know who you are referring to and I can assure you that he is barely even capable of thinking, let alone anything approaching the critical sort.
People who put MAL stats in their sigs are losers lol
Oct 29, 2023 1:14 PM
Jan 2021
Nostalgia is certainly not what is used to be.
William Hughes

Complex systems exhibit unexpected behaviour
Oct 29, 2023 1:23 PM

Oct 2013
Reply to Lucifrost
@FanofAction
He's talking about the live-action Last of Us adaptation.
@Lucifrost I honestly forgot that was even a thing.
Oct 29, 2023 1:24 PM

Oct 2010
anything is better than vinland saga s2 and huntrash x garbage
Oct 29, 2023 1:31 PM

Mar 2008
There is different ways American versus Japanese media tell stories. Obviously an American engrossed in American media will be more for it from exposure bias and peer influence.

Smitten4Kittens said:
Unfortunately, yes. Anime is almost exclusively half-assed fanservice these days, and it ain't hard for Hollywood to beat that.

Watch Kawaisugi Crisis (en: Too Cute Crisis) for some nyanservice.

Oct 29, 2023 1:51 PM

Dec 2021
Reply to traed
There is different ways American versus Japanese media tell stories. Obviously an American engrossed in American media will be more for it from exposure bias and peer influence.

Smitten4Kittens said:

Watch Kawaisugi Crisis (en: Too Cute Crisis) for some nyanservice.

@traed That looks amazing!!! i can't believe it only has a 6.83 score. i should know better than to trust MAL scores at this point. i'll have to give this one a whirl!

Oct 29, 2023 1:59 PM
Sep 2023
Yes it indeed is. For me Tv shows are much better than movies or anime in general. I would pick The Fall of the House of Usher which came just some weeks ago over any anime released this year and as per that greek reviewer, he was right about the last of us hbo being better than heavenly delusion and zom 100 although i dont really agree with his stance on opla and gotg3, those are pretty mid and nothing special. Also the flash isnt even better than its competitor capeshit movies so its ridiculous to compare it with quality shows like pluto or vinland. But there were lots of movies, tv shows and even many upcoming ones that are better than any anime you mentioned, i could name all of em if you wanted to know. Lastly could you share the link of that greek guy's review, I might check his opinions on these myself
Oct 29, 2023 3:43 PM

Jul 2019
I like both, tbh. Anime and live-action stuff. I think both of them have their own merits and faults and to me, comparing them is futile. I don't see the point.

-[ ~♫~ ll Credit ]-
Oct 29, 2023 3:47 PM

Jul 2019
Reply to KittenCuddler
@traed That looks amazing!!! i can't believe it only has a 6.83 score. i should know better than to trust MAL scores at this point. i'll have to give this one a whirl!

@Smitten4Kittens, yes! It's one of the warmest shows I've watched this year.

-[ ~♫~ ll Credit ]-
Oct 29, 2023 3:53 PM

Sep 2018
Western media is woke trash that makes generic anime look like absolute gold.

The last good western movie I seen was The Minions Movie. Mario movie was ok 5/10.
rohan121Oct 29, 2023 4:03 PM
Oct 29, 2023 4:02 PM

Apr 2015
Reply to KittenCuddler
@Smitten4Kittens It's really not, but whatever makes you feel better I guess.
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
Oct 29, 2023 4:23 PM

Mar 2019
I think completely the opposite hehe, This year there were a lot of cool and beautiful animes. ^u^

Ps: Sweet Tooth is much better than The Last of Us.
Oct 29, 2023 4:38 PM

Jan 2023
Modern TV and movies are the trashiest it's ever been in the history of its existence. He must be trolling.
Oct 29, 2023 4:53 PM

Mar 2021
Anime is much better now. Hollywood has run out of ideas. The only thing saving Hollywood is just Star Wars and a few other things. We don't need anymore war movies. Superhero movies have gone down the drain. I would know because I watched every superhero movie released this year (Black Adam, Ant Man, GOTG 3, Shazam, The Flash). Reality is hollywood just isn't that creative of a medium
Oct 29, 2023 5:40 PM

Apr 2012
I do think there are a lot less viable anime now because of the saturation of isekai and RPG-like anime. I love RPGs, they're my favourite genre, but I'm sick of every adventure/fantasy anime being treated like it's a video game. There are so many animes, like Mushoku Tensei/Jobless Reincarnation, which I dropped at the second season because I was fed up with the isekai/RPG elements. It would have been so much better if it was just a straightforward fantasy anime without any of that crap. It's so unimaginative and overdone.

I feel the reason behind this is because a lot of authors now simply don't have any life experience beyond being shut-in NEETs who play video games all day. They're gonna write what they know, and that's why the stories are so unappealing because it's always just some fat ugly dude's fanfiction of himself. There is no wonder or imagination to their worlds, few interesting characters, and it's all so generic and same-y.

As for other stuff, I also feel like a lot of anime has suffered from waifu-ization, which is where they create one or several marketable female characters and center the entire anime around them to the point that it detracts from the story, and it's become excessive recently. Best girls used to be organic, not manufactured to sell some more merch.

I don't think modern anime is so bad now that it's worse than modern movies, but that's because modern movies suck too lol, they have their own share of problems. The dominance of capeshit and agenda films. We're lucky we have easy access to past anime and movies cuz otherwise we'd have a really poor selection lol.

I spent most of 2019 watching older anime because 'there are no good movies anymore.'
I spent most of 2023 watching older movies because 'there are no good animes anymore.'

So both mediums have gotten worse.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» What's a period of anime you miss and have lots of nostalgia for?

TheBlockernator - 3 hours ago

4 by Nurguburu »»
3 minutes ago

» If ONE Piece is this long, imagine if this was 100 piece

jhzs0029 - Jun 15

25 by 8oomer »»
10 minutes ago

» Would you watch gender swapped Mushoku Tensei?

rohan121 - 3 hours ago

14 by rohan121 »»
12 minutes ago

» Would you quit Anime if Anime caters to the West?

Dragevard - Jun 15

44 by SwordBreaker36 »»
49 minutes ago

» Anilist Or MyAnimeList ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Attackergoal - Jan 19, 2021

380 by Ezeeql »»
53 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.