Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
KATANAGATARI
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 »
Jun 7, 2016 2:46 AM

Mar 2014
Well... this was a real slap in the face.

Despite the great shit with Nanami, them not showing that sword fight is quite honestly, an insult to our intelligence. Worst episode so far.
Jul 5, 2016 8:03 AM

Jan 2016
I actually felt really really bad for the Insect Squad... ):

But what the fuck, this episode was the biggest tease in the history of anime

Such an epic fight in the preview and we only get a "yeah, that fight with the strongest swordsman in the whole country was awesome, remember all those moves he used? Man he almost got me there"

sigh...
Aug 6, 2016 6:45 PM

Aug 2014
This episode did an unexpected troll lol, showing those scenes in the preview i was sure it will be going an epic battle xD good one, even though its annoying as well.

Good episode as always, but I didn't like how Overpowered his sister was portrayed, like those strong lolis in anime are annoying and i dont find them good.
Sep 3, 2016 9:56 PM

Mar 2014
Nanami is ridiculously OP, which doesn't make for interesting fights, I liked the Insect Squad more, especially with their attempts to make them seem like real people. Nanami is just boring. Trolled on the fight. The fights have been kind of meh so far, but I was hoping this one would be good. The biggest problem is the fights are completely one sided, with little back and forth and no interesting solutions. Togame and Shichika were great as always.

Weakest episode so far, but still okay because of the MCs. I like the show a lot so far, but I hope this isn't an indication of the direction this is going.
Sep 4, 2016 3:18 PM

Mar 2015
Talk about a trolling here! Too bad we didn't get to see that fight to see who would be the strongest swordsman in Japan but Nanami's display of power was fun to watch just as well.
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Sep 10, 2016 4:58 AM

Jan 2012
what's with his sister seems like i guessed she is stronger than him

Oct 16, 2016 12:41 PM
Jul 2009
tingy said:
People need to stop calling her sadistic, she showed no sadistic tendency in this episode. Sure she said she needed to punish Shichika, but it seemed to me that she punishes him out of good will, making him a stronger person befitting of being the head of the Koutouryuu style.

I think in order to be sadistic, you would have to know right from wrong. I think being on the island for so long and being away from civilization and people, she and Shichika basically have no sense of moral (ie Meisai from ep 3).

Nanami is courteous because that's how she should act in front of people. However, she does mention that she's jealous of people feeling pain and having the struggle to be stronger as she is strong from the beginning. Her father even mentions that the reason she can't be head of the Kyoutouru is, not because of her gender nor her weak body, but because he is not worthy of making her stronger since she's already strong - so I guess it's a pride thing. The camera did focus on her having a silhouetted expression as Mitsue said that which lead me to think that she was disappointed thus making me think that she scorns her way life and her abilities. This is even more evidenced when she observed Shichika train and was able to master techniques upon a second glance. Additionally, she said that Kamakiri (Praying mantis guy?) had the same expression (as he was dying) as Mitsue when he said she wont be the head. I guess from then on, Mitsue was dead to her lol

Overall, Nanami is one scary bitch lol A demon in disguise.
Nov 6, 2016 2:04 AM

Mar 2012
Welp, I gave it a shot.
Dec 7, 2016 4:17 PM

Dec 2011
This was an exotic episode, I can really feel the mark of Nisio Isin there. Funny, strange, unique.
Jan 16, 2017 7:45 PM
Jun 2015
The sister is without a doubt one of the coolest characters I've ever seen portrayed in anime.
Jan 31, 2017 7:47 PM

Feb 2016
Two personal issues I have at this juncture:

1) The fight with the sister was epic, but then why tease the audience by describing an amazing fight we never get to see. There were three instances where Japan's greatest swordsman was shown, building up to the confrontation that never happened. It's not even funny, just seems like bad directing.

2) What is the sword technique.

3) I have a feeling, I know the answer why the above two were purposely engineered. Nope, not gonna buy their manga or what not, sorry.
Nothing can happen until you swing the bat.
Feb 14, 2017 11:09 AM

May 2015
Holy shit. Nanami is real monster. I LOVE HER! :D
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Feb 19, 2017 5:05 PM

Apr 2016
The amount of people here who didn't see the amazing humor behind not showing the vaunted battle is... depressing to me. Frankly the stuff on the island with the sister was so awesome I didn't even care about what was going on simultaneously.
willingscapegoatFeb 19, 2017 8:14 PM
Mar 14, 2017 10:36 AM

Aug 2014
Jesus christ Nanami freaked me out way more than she should have <.<

And goddamn not showing that fight was such a huge troll lol.
SnappynatorMar 14, 2017 1:52 PM
Apr 11, 2017 9:54 AM

Dec 2010
A truly unique episode
Apr 16, 2017 9:12 AM
Apr 2017
Its is just me or its happen to you guys also?
I didnt find any fight scene betwen Shichika Yasuri and Hakuhei Sabi,..
Did I miss something?
I am prety sure I found an after credit from eps.03 its surely an Epic battle,..
But I didnt seen any on eps.04?
Did I got something wrong?
kund4tbApr 16, 2017 9:16 AM
Apr 16, 2017 10:04 AM

Jul 2013
kund4tb said:
Did I miss something?
I am prety sure I found an after credit from eps.03 its surely an Epic battle,..
You just got trolled by the show. That epic preview of this episode in the previous one was a fake to make people hyped just to have Shichika and Togame rubbing in the face of the audience how awesome the battle was.

The battle itself is never shown.
Apr 17, 2017 2:14 AM
Apr 2017
Illyricus said:
kund4tb said:
Did I miss something?
You just got trolled by the show. That epic preview of this episode in the previous one was a fake to make people hyped just to have Shichika and Togame rubbing in the face of the audience how awesome the battle was.

The battle itself is never shown.

LOL Maaaaan Wkwkwkwkwk, these is the only one Anime that I found like that Ahahaha
Jun 4, 2017 10:01 AM

Feb 2015
I ain't even mad they skipped the battle against "the strongest swordsman of Japan", because Nanami has been kicking more butt in this single episode than Shichika has done up to this point. Really, she should be the main character of this anime. She's awesome.
Jul 3, 2017 8:41 PM

May 2012
this show is certainly something lmao, one of the best ive seen in a few months id say, hopefully it can keep up the steam
Jul 16, 2017 5:35 PM

Jun 2013
I guess now we know the real reason why Nanami had to stay on the island: she's so powerful she'd break the story. I expected there to be more to her because of the odd instincts she showed in episode 1, but she's an absolute beast. Hilarious, terrifying and also sort of sad.

A horror episode instead of a big showdown. I'm not even mad. It's true that Nanami only killed them because they threatened her first, but I can't help but feel bad for the bug ninjas.

"Hari, the Slender Sword" actually describes Nanami pretty well. Looks fragile, still deadly.
LeeTailorJul 16, 2017 6:11 PM
Aug 4, 2017 10:10 AM
Apr 2017
WTF!!!! Why Why?

I'm upset. It's like my friends are talking about how delicious the food they ate in front of me, provoking me because they did not invite me.

That story about the MC's epic fight has greater impact on met than knowing his sister god-like power. Damn
Aug 8, 2017 10:43 AM

Sep 2015
What a troll episode. I loved it though. One of my favorites so far. I was honestly so entranced by Nanami vs the Maniwa. I didn't even notice it had taken over the episode. And completely the replaced the fated and continually hyped showdown between Shuchika and the wandering ronin dude. Didn't mind though. I think the decision was definitely done to frustrate and annoy viewers. But I found the episode entertaining enough as it was. And Togame and Shuchika trying to one up each other describing the fight at the very end was really funny.

I'm not sure how I feel about Nanami being like a Hunter x Hunter level powerful character. But I think it definitely makes her more interesting. And her fucking with the Maniwa idiots was really funny. I always like that kind of character in comics and manga. Who can just copy anyone's power. Except in her case I guess she learns it. Which seems even more formidable. I'm curious now if this was an aside. A decision to suddenly do a story focused on Nanami before leaving her behind. Or setting up that she'll factor back into the main plot soon. On a final note though holy crap Togame is precious. Her ticklish shoulders were so adorable.
Sep 15, 2017 12:54 AM

Oct 2012
Nanami is way too OP

What the.. This is not what we watched on episode 3 preview
Did they just lie to us? xD
I mean.. they skipped the entire fight of our main character
I guess that's how you explained how "point of view" works
"Signature removed"
Sep 22, 2017 4:44 PM
Apr 2014
Beyond mad. I dont care about the stupid monster girl i wanted to see the fight that made history not her fend off some bugs completly let down this episode
Nov 4, 2017 5:21 PM

Jan 2014
??? what just happened?

????

Nanami is scary af tho
TapuTapuuNov 4, 2017 5:26 PM
Nov 17, 2017 12:00 AM

Dec 2015
The brother is extremely skilled, but the sister is just on a whole new level, a real monster.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Dec 13, 2017 5:29 PM

Apr 2016
What about the duel?!
God, I'm so disappointed
Dec 16, 2017 12:37 PM

Nov 2016
I feel like this is definitely the best episode so far out of the four I've seen yet. I really am enjoying how Nanami is built as being scary yet quite the interesting character. As much as I enjoyed Nanami, I do have mixed feelings about how it ended the epsidoe. Don't get me wrong I was content with her fights but I felt that Shichika/Sabi fight was one that we should've actually seen. It did sound like to be far more appealing than his previous fights. So I can't help but feel a little disappointed. Otherwise I felt it was a really solid episode.
Dec 29, 2017 12:34 AM
May 2015
I actually didn't see the episode 4 preview to be as mad as some of you guys, I usually avoid previews.

Anyhow, also loved the sweet Nee-san action though I'd like to give some respect to the bug guys. I never really cared for their other clan members until the bug guys came around. They lost because the girl was WAYYYY OP. I thought they fought bravely, never begged for mercy, they were true warriors to the bitter end, with honor to themselves and respect to their fellow comrades, though yes, they did try to do an underhand and kidnap a little girl.

If they knew how powerful she really was, they'd probably do the kidnapping in the opposite order, kidnap the brother to get to the sister though of course they only started it to get to the swords.
Jan 9, 2018 12:15 PM

Jun 2015
Nanami is a real monster.
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Jan 25, 2018 6:14 PM

Feb 2012
This is one of the best executed trolls I've ever seen in anime. We miss out on the fight the previous three episodes have been building up towards, but we instead get a surprise fight that changes the entire anime. Now that Nanami is joining the katana hunt, it looks like she will be the main antagonist of the anime.
Jan 25, 2018 10:02 PM

Jul 2015
Phaetons_Folly said:
This is one of the best executed trolls I've ever seen in anime.

I’m eight years late to the party lol, the first three episodes were meh imo but this one ruled

I should have known from episode one bc Nanami was the first person to sense that one of the ninja guys was on the island. And I though Shichika was overpowered wowowow
Apr 19, 2018 5:27 PM

Aug 2007
This episode is great.
After the first three episodes I've got more used to the dialogue flow. I liked the Insect Squad a lot, so watching Nanami obliterate them and explain some of her backstory worked well with the type of anime this is turning out to be.
LycanMay 1, 2018 4:59 PM

May 3, 2018 4:58 AM

May 2016
This episode was basically a meta Top 10 Anime Betrayals lmao

Nanami being the older sister surprised me but her abilities, apparent immortality and sadistic personality was shocking. The Kyoutouryuu siblings are already devoid of human empathy because of the isolation but she took it on another level... She was so brutal that I actually pitied the Maniwani for a moment there. At least she acknowledged their last wishes. I wonder if she'll actually join in with them to quicken the pace lol

Togame was trying to get laid but looks like she got enough fun with her collarbone being nibbled on ♥ Looking at the preview, the fight with Hakuhei definitely would've been the most intense one yet but considering what actually happened in the novel after reading it here makes me thankful for the awesome preview. How they rubbed it in felt like salt in the kokoro though...

May 12, 2018 12:51 AM
Dec 2016
Speaking of expectations, can we talk about HOW HEAVILY TROLLED I FELT? Shichika and Togame's blow-by-blow description of the much-anticipated fight we'd seen in the preview made a part of me amused and a part of me want to punch the computer screen.
May 12, 2018 4:07 PM

Nov 2016
I loved the shit ouf this episode and my eyes were glued to the screen. Felt sry for the insect group,Nanami is too fucking scary.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 13, 2018 10:43 AM

Aug 2015
Hahahaha wow I fcking just got jebaited by that preview LMAO and I kinda was expecting that fight with Sabi though

Also press F for the Maniwani Insect Squad man for once I felt bad for them for having that camaraderie even in times of failure.

Anyway I'm starting to get interested in Nanami now that she's more than just a sick girl but a creepy fuck bad ass ditto with all the backstory about her and the fact that she can't even die with all the suffering she had experienced.

Damn overall I rate this ep 8/8 gr8 b8 m8 for a show to have the balls to do that shit.

Cheerio!
Aug 31, 2018 11:20 AM

Dec 2016
Nanami is a goddamn badass!
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Feb 5, 2019 6:19 AM

Dec 2016
omegalul, feels trolled man. im not particularly fan of this kind of crap, but since it's just isin intentionally playing with my feelings what can i do.
Aug 30, 2019 4:49 AM

May 2018
Didn't expect the sister to be a sadistic, but her technique was completely amazing. Being able to copy the enemy moves just by observing them, truly a copy samurai. I wish we could have seen the fight of Shichika between the 4th sword holder.

Sep 15, 2019 7:19 PM

Jun 2017
Totally just dumping away that expected fight with the main crew is something I actually quite like. It's not an "insult to our intelligence", it's respecting it by not wasting out time and showing us something that we don't need to see.

Some cool moves happen, they win, the end.
Now, watch this part that's actually important, new, and interesting.

I haven't finished this yet, but I have a feeling this anime won't drag on the process of collecting these 12 swords for no good reason

Oct 27, 2019 3:09 PM
May 2018
tbh nanami just straight up pisses me off, i can't stand her from now on.
Dec 7, 2019 2:40 PM

Aug 2017
Wow, Nanami killed everyone. I liked the Insect Squad.

I feel that i was trolled by not seeing the main characters fight lol.
NurguburuDec 7, 2019 2:47 PM
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Apr 1, 2020 6:34 PM

Jun 2016
Ooh shit the sister is broken.
May 13, 2020 4:16 PM
πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯

Jan 2020
I'll be honest, I was pretty shocked by this episode really. Nanami being kinda a cold kinda psychotic sadist was totally out of the blue for me. I think she's going to be a total wild card in this anime. Who knows what the fuck she's going to do...especially if she goes and meets up with her brother.

This is a seriously unpopular opinion after reading this thread but I honestly thought it was kinda funny that they just hyped up the battle but didn't show it. It was a bit of a troll to the audience and I liked it. Lol. I'm not really ever bothered about fight sequences or battles in anime. It's just not my thing so I'd rather have some good dialogue and this show has that in spades.

I'm loving this show so far. If it keeps this standard up then it's going in my faves for sure. I'm between a 9 and a 10 at the moment. The art is slightly holding it back in my opinion. I'm not sure that the cartoony style is really suited to this tale but maybe I'll come to like that juxtaposition, it's already growing on me.

πŸ”₯ πŸ”₯ πŸ”₯ . ι˜Ώθ‰―γ€…ζœ¨ 暦, ε‚· 物 θͺž . πŸ”₯ πŸ”₯ πŸ”₯
Build a man a fire and you'll warm him for a night
but set a man on fire and you'll warm him
for the rest of his life...
- H E N D Y -
Jun 3, 2020 12:01 PM

Mar 2018
Who cares about the fight against the strongest swordsman when you can see Nanami in action instead. What a monster she is.
Jun 5, 2020 8:21 PM
Mar 2019
This episode was the worst so far.

I don't understand how you cannot dislike a char such as this one... We'll I'm better of not, since my brain would rot. Of course everyone likes different things and it's ok to be different, but i'd rather not because this one sure is nothing more than crap to the plot.
Jun 11, 2020 3:56 AM
Jan 2020
Nanami too OP but really loved her character
Pages (9) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

stevewiess01 - Jul 9, 2010

225 by valennienana »»
Apr 25, 7:04 AM

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

removed-user - Feb 8, 2010

180 by ariharan_ars »»
Feb 3, 10:31 AM

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Dec 10, 2010

631 by I_LIKE_ANIME_SO »»
Jan 3, 9:06 AM

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

removed-user - Jan 25, 2010

333 by Dumb »»
Jul 30, 2023 5:55 AM

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

bautrey37 - May 23, 2010

163 by Aldones »»
Feb 18, 2023 7:00 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.