Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 22, 2021 2:12 AM
Oct 2020
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This was was alright, it left a lot to your imagination about the elder, which is good, and the music was also quite good for me. The English VAs don’t seem to be professional voice actors in this one, or maybe they were given bad direction, this seems to be a problem with some of the other episodes too. Other than that I really liked it.
Sep 22, 2021 2:26 AM
Community Mod
Peacemaker

Jan 2017
This was a lot more down to earth than the studio's last Star Wars episode. It felt almost like an episode plucked out of an already established episodic series. The episode had time to set a tone and characters, and gave us a cool fight as well. It could have been better, but it made good use of its time to let us get settled in.
Sep 22, 2021 3:56 AM

Apr 2014
Damn, was that really Trigger? Very different from their usual work. Something about the character art seems off somehow.

Anyway, that was one hell of a lightsaber duel. Using lightsabers in a way that actually takes advantage of their unique characteristics, you dont see that every day.
Sep 22, 2021 9:19 AM

Jan 2009
average animation not bad but not great either from Trigger guess all their talented animators work on episode 3 instead

but this Elder is a new generation of Sith for sure
Sep 22, 2021 9:24 AM
Jul 2018
Yuichi Nakamura! 😍

Indeed a very lowkey-themed project coming from Trigger but still a banger nonetheless.

This interesting master-student interactions has shades of Jinn/Kenobi and Kenobi/Skywalker, though more of the latter as the student's eagerness reminds me of the beginning of Episode 2: Attack of the Clones.
Sep 22, 2021 9:51 AM

Jul 2011
This one was more about Lore which was great, but the animation looks like western anime-style. But was better than 3.
At least this one didn't dropped the ball like episode 3.
Sep 22, 2021 12:03 PM

Oct 2019
Honestly, i liked the elder stuff. Animation was really different for a Trigger work. however, i loved the fight itself. It was slow and precise. The master was truly experienced and i liked how the sith cut the padawan but he was still alive.
Also, music was so good when it was silenced when the master turned on the lightsaber to kill elder.
"Perfection is perception. For me, humanity's imperfections is what makes it perfect"

Sep 22, 2021 4:46 PM

Jul 2012
All i can say about this one - weird. The dialogues, the sith sabers, also not a fan of animation.
Sep 22, 2021 6:16 PM

Feb 2010
The fight really felt like an original trilogy lightsaber duel.
Sep 22, 2021 7:32 PM
Jul 2019
So, I guess this was set before the Clone wars...It was very obvious since the Sith's were once thought to be extinct, but they weren't.
Sep 22, 2021 7:50 PM

Jun 2014
Similar to the first episode with the samurai-era backdrop. That alone made it pretty good for me.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Sep 22, 2021 9:24 PM

Apr 2014
Horn_dawg_2019 said:
So, I guess this was set before the Clone wars...It was very obvious since the Sith's were once thought to be extinct, but they weren't.

Yeah its probably set somewhere around the High Republic era IMO. Well and truly before The Phantom Menace. But the padawan's robe looked really similar to designs used in High Republic stuff and I assume that's not an accident
Sep 23, 2021 4:17 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Well we're back in star wars land for sure, but this one still doesn't quite look like an actual anime, more like something out of adult swim or something. Again, it's fine, but dammit I don't want fine, I want something great. Pretty forgettable, 2.5/10, two more episodes to go. Come on disney at least make one of these last two something good

NYANPASU
5700XT

Sep 23, 2021 7:37 AM
Aug 2019
Another good episode! Lots of Sith vs Jedi huh. This one makes up for the twins episode from Trigger. Master's finishing move reminded me of Char. I really thought the padawan was dead, got Qui Gon and Anakin vibes from them somehow, would like to see their story continue.
Sep 23, 2021 6:51 PM

Jul 2019
It's really cool to see different takes! While it's not a single linear story telling, it has been pretty cool so far.

-[ ~♫~ ll Credit ]-
Sep 23, 2021 9:45 PM

Nov 2020
an old man with dual-wielding lightsabers, okay not bad

Sep 23, 2021 10:04 PM

Oct 2016
It sure doesn't feel like something made by Trigger at all
Sep 24, 2021 1:27 PM

Aug 2016
The Elder by Trigger

Much better by Trigger this time, decent animation, story, character design and action.
“I just spent the last two years thinking that you guys knew more than me about life and I just found out that you guys are just as dumb as me.” “Duh-doy.” “Yeah, duh-doy.”
Sep 24, 2021 11:38 PM

Oct 2016
Pretty good episode. Another one from Trigger, and they did a great job. I really liked the character design of the elder. It was very creepy. And the message about power at the end was pretty cool too.
Sep 25, 2021 5:26 AM
Oct 2017
I liked the relationship between the master and apprentice. Both looked and sounded really nice. Built up was slow and left a lot of unanswered questions. Duel was also slow and not a lot of attacks were traded. But I liked it. Felt more old school. Also rain droplets disintegrating on lightsabers blade was great callback to the old Clone wars.
Sep 26, 2021 3:05 AM

Jan 2013
I have a feeling that this sets in the High Republic Era which sets YEARS before the Prequel Trilogy. I really love the short battles. The Jedi seem to have explored the galaxy and encountering this elder might be one of the clues that The Sith is coming back? I like it more than the same studio's The Twins.
Sep 26, 2021 9:13 PM

Jan 2021
Another one from Trigger it was really good and the Jedi taking away the lightsaber then destroying it was cool
Sep 27, 2021 1:26 PM

Nov 2013
I'm intrigued about the plot. Would gladly watch more about the master Jedi. Personality-vise reminded me of Qui-Gon Jinn.

Also, are we not going to talk about the ex-sith elder not killing the padawan?
I don't think he missed with the blow and only wounded the padawan. He did that on purpose, though if you think about reasons, maybe he simply wanted a final duel with a worthy opponent? Otherwise why would he not kill the padawan? The master would've come for him regardless so I believe the ex-sith wasn't too bad.
Sep 28, 2021 5:53 AM

May 2009
Sigmar-Unberogen said:
Also, are we not going to talk about the ex-sith elder not killing the padawan?

That was so stupid that makes this episode mediocre at best.
Sep 28, 2021 7:05 AM

Jan 2018
2nd episode from Trigger. Storywise I'd say it's an improvement over episode 3. But animationwise I much prefer episode 3 over this.

The dub voice acting was pretty bad.
Sep 28, 2021 12:59 PM
Aug 2017
I was rather underwhelmed by the animation at first, the scenes felt very static and the characters mostly just moved their mouths and little else. But in the action scenes the animation quality seemed to get a big bump. Something about this short felt very late-90's or early 00's.
Sep 28, 2021 1:18 PM
Feb 2021
I think this was a very good episode.
Sep 28, 2021 6:01 PM
Jul 2020
Really good episode and I was happy that Studio Trigger got another one, but..I was so surprised because it didn't feel like Trigger, the animation and art style didn't look like anything trigger had made but I was pleasantly surprised.

I really liked the master and apprentice dynamic reminded my of The phantom menace. Also but seriously XD did Trigger make a whole kind of new art and animation style just for this episode? This looks like nothing they've made..
Sep 28, 2021 7:05 PM

Feb 2012
This is the one episode so far that actually feels like classic Star Wars. It's crazy to see that Studio Trigger made this because it doesn't feel like a Trigger anime like their previous episode did. However, I liked that they changed their style because it fits the setting and story better than their tradition modus operandi.

What really sets this episode apart from the others is that it is the first one to actually have a point. It showed three men different stages in their life to show the effects of time both positive and negative.
Sep 29, 2021 9:52 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Their 1st one was better than this but it was still pretty good
Oct 6, 2021 11:05 PM

Aug 2017
Better than the disastrous sixth episode but its still bad.

I mean, how the padawan survived after that fatal wound? Why didn't the old man make sure he was really dead? Look, I don't give a fuck about the padawan in the first place but that was extremely stupid.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Oct 7, 2021 11:15 AM

Apr 2012
Serious Trigger, nani.

Good episode but Hashi Takaya's voice was a bit too old for the master, should have had a few gray hair, maybe it would have worked better.

Interesting episode nonetheless. I remember hoping so hard there would be something like the One Sith in the Rey trilogy, so good to see some alternate Sith here.
Oct 9, 2021 7:51 PM
Nov 2019
It was quite to see a Star Wars story set in Pre-Phantom Menace times. Liked the banter between the Master and Padawan, felt like classic Star Wars dialogue and you got everything you needed to know about the characters from it, the Padawan being eager to get into a fight and the master having to clean up after him. The lightsaber fight fight as well felt old-school, like any move could finish the fight.
Oct 10, 2021 11:05 PM

Sep 2019
It’s more “Gainax” than modern Trigger, it was solid.
Oct 11, 2021 3:06 AM

Oct 2009
The Master and Padawan was very much like Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan.
Another cool episode, has a lot of potential. I loved the swift battle.
Oct 26, 2021 3:07 AM

Jul 2015
Didn't expected this from Trigger especially after their last episode, still solid episode. I especially liked the way the jedi master just turned his saber off and on to kill the old man.

Nov 24, 2021 11:21 PM

May 2015
I felt asleep midway. This is one of the reasons I haven't watched the main series. Characters just stare at each other without saying a word. So goddamn boring.
The ugly art style didn't help either. It felt like I was watching an American cartoon.
Awful.
Dec 1, 2021 8:02 PM

Dec 2016
This episode felt like it was written by a 6 year old.

Master senses a disturbance in the force. Aprentice: is it a Sith? I'm ready to rock & roll. Master: "No they ceased to exists hundreds of years ago." If the Sith are already considered extinct, why would the aprentice jump to such ilogical conclusion? If someone breaks into my house, I'm not expecting it to be the tribunal from the Spanish Inquisition.

If the aprentice comes out with the brilliant idea to climb up a mountain on an ecosystem he's completely ignorant, why would he take children as a guide, specially if there's a high chance of finding what they suspect is a Sith hidding his prescence. Like for real, what kind of parents would allow their kids to go on such dangerous endeavor.

And how the heck did the aprentice survive the Sith's lightsaber slash? Not a single movie from the original trilogy nor the prequels have showed any evidence of anyone surviving a direct attack like that.
Jan 8, 2022 1:15 AM
Oct 2019
Nakamura Yuichi... and it's Trigger again.
But it doesn't feel like Trigger at all.

and how Dan survive that Old Man Lightsaber slash? lol

Trigger takes this L.
Jan 13, 2022 9:45 PM

Aug 2018
7th episode: "The Elder" by Trigger
Another episode by Trigger, it was very good.
Feb 7, 2022 2:28 AM

Sep 2016
A MUCH better Trigger episode, not my favorite, but it feel like I was watching a good Clone Wars episode. The Twin felt like a fanfic written by someone who never watched Star Wars but instead just read some Wiki entries.
May 24, 2022 12:24 AM
Oct 2019
Good story. Good animation

7/10
May 31, 2022 10:09 AM

Oct 2013
Brilliant episode. You could feel Star Wars atmosphere coming from it.

I loved the choreography used during lightsaber duels.
Mar 13, 2023 2:39 PM

Nov 2012
One of the best ones too, I guess to be expected from trigger, glad some of these are actually worthwhile
I have a third testicle that gives me psychic powers
Apr 15, 2023 9:02 PM
Jan 2023
only cool thing was the elder sith himself
Sep 29, 2023 3:54 PM
Dec 2017
Now THIS, is what I expected from Trigger studios. Not whatever the hell the 3rd episode was in this Anthology. Great music, great animation, great action, and great characters. I love how they also tried staying lore-accurate instead of an interpretative perspective that the other episodes kind of take. However, I feel like if Dan actually died it would have left more of an impression (Qui-gon Jin and other one-slashed characters tossing in their grave right now).
Mar 7, 7:36 PM

Dec 2022
low key badassery, old school samurai film type stuff

More topics from this board

Poll: » Star Wars: Visions Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

EmmyMoomin - Sep 22, 2021

63 by _-_Sally_-_ »»
Apr 4, 5:16 PM

Poll: » Star Wars: Visions Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

73 by _-_Sally_-_ »»
Apr 4, 4:47 PM

Poll: » Star Wars: Visions Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

52 by gannoncannon55 »»
Mar 15, 1:11 PM

Poll: » Star Wars: Visions Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

54 by gannoncannon55 »»
Mar 15, 12:37 AM

Poll: » Star Wars: Visions Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

63 by gannoncannon55 »»
Feb 27, 6:42 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.