Forum Settings
Forums

Online Survey Reveals Half of Japanese Watch TV Anime

New
Mar 26, 2010 10:02 PM

Feb 2008
Research company DoHouse conducted an online survey about the rating of TV anime series. 23,388 respondents answered the number of TV anime programs they watch in March 2010. (The respondents were selected from 2.6 million registered users in order to avoid bias and maneuvering.)

Bar Graph of the result (y axis: age, x axis: percentage)

About half of the respondents watch one or more TV anime programs regardless of sex. There is a clear boundary in the age between 40's and 50's. The following titles were frequently mentioned in the comments of the respondents in wide range of generations:
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Durarara!!
Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu
Pokemon Diamond & Pearl
Gintama

Long running titles such as Sazae-san and Chibi Maruko-chan were less frequently mentioned.

Along with the survey above, they also surveyed the rate of the name recognition of 28 popular seiyu. Here is the result:

The name recognition of female seiyu was significantly higher than male seiyu. The highest recognition of Mizuki Nana can be attributed to her appearance in the popular music show Kohaku Uta Gassen last year.

Source: My Enquete

Note: This is for the first time that this company conducted an anime (otaku-culture) related survey. Being an online research is the only possible bias. example of the topics in the past: eating habits, traditional events, hay fever etc.
dtshykMar 27, 2010 12:46 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 26, 2010 10:05 PM
Apr 2009
and the sky is blue.

but seriously this is nice to know that anime is not a small niche in japan and the whole country is as crazy as i imagine.
Mar 26, 2010 10:06 PM

Apr 2008
online surveys are pointless.

Mar 26, 2010 11:01 PM

Aug 2007
MisterSaito said:
NO THEY'RE NOT.
Mar 26, 2010 11:14 PM

Jan 2008
It's important to keep in mind they're not entirely accurate, but I'm sure this is a useful point of few.. well.. if we had a use for it.
------------------

Mar 26, 2010 11:17 PM

May 2008
doeman said:
MisterSaito said:
NO THEY'RE NOT.
I agree with doeman.

Most online surveys help in one way or another.
Mar 26, 2010 11:43 PM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
I want to know all of these stats for people in the US.
p r o f i l e đź‘€
Mar 26, 2010 11:43 PM

Aug 2008
woah~..O.O

ive always knew that anime/manga/otaku-culture was this big (even bigger)
"..Hibari Kyoya is L.O.V.E..."

.. Wanna ask me something? Clicky HERE~!
Mar 26, 2010 11:56 PM

Nov 2009
It's pretty obvious that half the population would watch anime (if not more).

I wish to know the percentage of hard core fans.
Earth gets angry after a kick in the face.
Mar 27, 2010 12:05 AM

Jul 2009
50% of Japanese people read at least one manga a week. Or so I read.

Mar 27, 2010 12:20 AM

Aug 2009
teanut said:
I wish to know the percentage of hard core fans.
Those who are watching 10 animes are pretty much hardcore, and it is about 2% in that graph. It is actually an incredible amount.

dtshyk said:
The following titles were frequently mentioned in the comments of the respondents in wide range of generations:
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Durarara!!
Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu
These three make me feel so happy.
Mar 27, 2010 12:29 AM

Nov 2009
Interesting statistics. I'm sure socialogists can now have something to research on. XD
Mar 27, 2010 2:11 AM

Oct 2007
doeman said:
MisterSaito said:
NO THEY'RE NOT.
Anyone can fake the results. It's not hard.
Mar 27, 2010 2:12 AM

Mar 2009
Online surveys aren't very reliable. In fact, in general, surveys whether online or not, are not very reliable. Why? Because they can be tampered with or modified etc.
Mar 27, 2010 2:24 AM
Sep 2008
Weirdly, I've thought about this before and I guessed as much.
I mean, if it's on TV anyway and it's not as looked down upon for being 'kid stuff' as it is over here it makes sense that normal people would follow some of the more popular non-obviously-otaku-pandering anime.
Mar 27, 2010 3:41 AM

Mar 2008
TechDragon said:
doeman said:
MisterSaito said:
NO THEY'RE NOT.
I agree with doeman.

what about those that don't use the internet too much? thus results incomplete
Mar 27, 2010 3:50 AM

May 2009
Vin-nii said:
TechDragon said:
doeman said:
MisterSaito said:
NO THEY'RE NOT.
I agree with doeman.

what about those that don't use the internet too much? thus results incomplete

Indeed
"Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis" Which means "It's not for me, It's not for you. It's for everyone"
Mar 27, 2010 4:13 AM

Nov 2007
this is great news XD id like to know the world wide figure though

I signed my screen and now its all smeary "When you meet your God tell him to leave me alone."

check out my bloghttp://corpse69.wordpress.com/

fix MAL already
Mar 27, 2010 4:43 AM

May 2009
That more than 10% of female and 16% of male over seventy year olds watch more than one series seems pretty weird to me. Reasons I can see are only it being an internet survey and grandchildren, to be honest. But you never know.

And on the edge of sanity I stumble and fall.
Mar 27, 2010 4:48 AM

May 2008
It's an online survey so I really doubt if it's trustworthy.
Mar 27, 2010 5:01 AM

Jul 2007
I wouldn't be surprised, although I think even more than that read manga. One time I sat on the train next to some really old man who was reading DBZ manga...
Mar 27, 2010 5:05 AM
Apr 2009
Naruleach said:
I want to know all of these stats for people in the US.

Probably less since a lot of n00bs in the Western Hemisphere STILL confuse anime with "children's material/cartoons" w/o giving it a try.
Mar 27, 2010 5:05 AM

May 2009
I love it that there are 70 year old people watching! Really sweet.
Mar 27, 2010 5:43 AM

Aug 2008
This is kind of scary.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Mar 27, 2010 6:05 AM

Aug 2007
Well... Anime is so popular in Japan so this is a little obivous
Mar 27, 2010 6:08 AM

May 2008
It's good to know... not that trustworthy but at least give a little info about whether they like animes in Japan or not...
Mar 27, 2010 7:07 AM

Nov 2009
KitsuneTail said:
Weirdly, I've thought about this before and I guessed as much.
I mean, if it's on TV anyway and it's not as looked down upon for being 'kid stuff' as it is over here it makes sense that normal people would follow some of the more popular non-obviously-otaku-pandering anime.

I totally agree; if anime is normal stuff that's on TV ALL the time then its not strange to see half the people watching it. If you take the cartoons in the US for instance; almost all people at you ages watch cartoons. Teens and young adults also watch cartoons (Simpson's, Family Guy, South park). And if adults continue to watch cartoons as well as adults watching cartoons with their children then it's not that strange at all. And plus anime is watched here by a lot of people over here as well. That has to make up at least 30% watch cartoons at least; but I could be totally wrong. Plus Japan's anime is known to not be aimed at just children but for all ages.

And with the others; an online server is a bit difficult to be accurate; But maybe people in Japan have a survey obsession where everyone does surveys... no probably not... LMAO.
Mar 27, 2010 7:31 AM

Jul 2009
Being in the purple makes me feel like a boss.
Mar 27, 2010 8:31 AM

Jul 2007
An online poll put the founder of 4chan as the most influential person of the year last year according to Time Magazine.

Any kind of surveying or polling done online is fundamentally invalid as substantial proof of anything.
My first novel, Kardia has been published! Click here to read!
Mar 27, 2010 8:41 AM

Nov 2008
BlackWings said:
doeman said:
MisterSaito said:
NO THEY'RE NOT.

how pointless
Mar 27, 2010 9:28 AM

Jan 2008
Am I the only one finding it somehow funny that there are more female watchers than male watchers or am I looking totally wrong now?

But meh, as some pointed it out already online surveys are mostly not accurate, unless at least 80% of people did voted there of course which I bet that isn't the case. Plus they can indeed fake the results. Nobody knows and will ever know.
Pffh.
ZonakMar 27, 2010 9:32 AM
Mar 27, 2010 9:42 AM

Jan 2009

Sounds like another gintama episode title =)
Sorry for grammar mistakes(if any), english is not my native language. Feel free to correct me if you see some.
Mar 27, 2010 10:07 AM

Apr 2008
Also. the shows they mentioned are all popular shows (looking at the Novels & DVD sales/rankings)
Mar 27, 2010 10:10 AM

Mar 2009
I bet a survey on this site would show roughly the same thing.
Mar 27, 2010 10:17 AM

Oct 2007
The real question is whether or not these shows are during primetime or not.

A lot of anime airs late night, and a lot of families won't stay up that late, and will watch dorama, news, or variety shows before/during/after dinner.

I know my host sibling loved anime so she would watch it, but still she would watch pokemon, sazae, conan, and chibi maruko chan. none of the late-night shows.

I'm a little surprised by these results, but at the same time not so much.
Mar 27, 2010 10:29 AM

Jan 2009
BlackWings said:
doeman said:
MisterSaito said:
NO THEY'RE NOT.
Saito is right. Online surveys are the worst kind, and they cannot be applied to anything really. They have just as much legitimacy as If I arbitrarily made up some statistics on the spot.

Mar 27, 2010 12:45 PM

Aug 2008
* SUMUZURA KENICHI FIRST?? yeahh my fav male voice actor! <3<3

*oh, there are actually more females watching anime than males?

* what? 20% of old people watch anime? (70 years old +)
Mar 27, 2010 12:59 PM

Apr 2009
the way the poller conducted the survey, along with the large sample size from which they drew from, makes me believe that this survey has more credibility than some here are giving it.
Mar 27, 2010 1:18 PM

Sep 2009
The only bias in the survey would be that it's a percentage of people who are signed up for the site, which would mean they frequently use the internet, which *could* be related to the amount of anime they watch. But regardless, it has as much credibility as any other statistic- door-to-door surveys have a slight bias towards people who are at home more often (So people who frequently leave their house for extended periods, such as traveling or are involved in activities during the normal times the surveyors come by, would be left out. Depending on the type of survey, this could skew things one way or another). Unless it's a survey with a lie detector across 100% of a population, there will always be room for bias (And even then it'll still have some)- it doesn't make them inaccurate though. It simply means the statistic will have to have a qualifier about it- in this case, that it's referring to a section of the population that use the internet often, which may or may not have an affect on the outcome of the poll.
Mar 27, 2010 1:26 PM

Sep 2008
Online surveys are about as useful as salt in your eye.
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Mar 27, 2010 2:11 PM

Feb 2008
considering anime is a big market in japan it is of no surprise.
Mar 27, 2010 2:38 PM

Jan 2009
Blayze said:
The only bias in the survey would be that it's a percentage of people who are signed up for the site, which would mean they frequently use the internet, which *could* be related to the amount of anime they watch. But regardless, it has as much credibility as any other statistic- door-to-door surveys have a slight bias towards people who are at home more often (So people who frequently leave their house for extended periods, such as traveling or are involved in activities during the normal times the surveyors come by, would be left out. Depending on the type of survey, this could skew things one way or another). Unless it's a survey with a lie detector across 100% of a population, there will always be room for bias (And even then it'll still have some)- it doesn't make them inaccurate though. It simply means the statistic will have to have a qualifier about it- in this case, that it's referring to a section of the population that use the internet often, which may or may not have an affect on the outcome of the poll.

Simple Random Surveys aren't biased, unless it's a loaded question, of course.

Mar 27, 2010 3:42 PM

Feb 2009
*1, 34% Mizuki Nana
*2, 23% Hirano Aya

Regardless of accuracy, I still die of joy at the ever overrated Hirano Aya being pushed off of her throne.

d('-'d)
Mar 27, 2010 3:44 PM

Sep 2009
Gunther_ said:
Blayze said:

Simple Random Surveys aren't biased, unless it's a loaded question, of course.

They are the most fair usually, but there are still factors that could cause bias- such as if it's over the phone, the people who don't answer calls from people they don't know would be left out, or if they feel uncomfortable answering certain questions (Such as a sex survey), they wouldn't want to participate in it. Again, this doesn't make them invalid, it simply has to be taken into account when dealing with statistics derived from surveys and such.
Mar 27, 2010 6:11 PM

Feb 2008
darkdragon53191 said:
and the sky is blue.

but seriously this is nice to know that anime is not a small niche in japan and the whole country is as crazy as i imagine.

my thoughts exactly
Mar 27, 2010 6:14 PM

Jun 2008
Them Japs are weaboos.
Mar 27, 2010 7:12 PM

Jan 2009
not surprising for me though, even 70+ watch animu
/surprise on bakatesu guess i should try watching it.

doeman said:
MisterSaito said:
NO THEY'RE NOT.

+this
Mar 27, 2010 9:41 PM

Mar 2008
I hate to bring this up again, but WHY WOULD THEY CANCEL GINTAMA?!?! if it ranked among the most popular anime, I see no reason to end it!
Mar 28, 2010 12:37 PM

Feb 2010
YAY!!! BAKA TO TEST is really famouS!!!

season 2 is really possible!!!
"Your taste is shit cause you like what I hate. Believe me I have 1000 cartoons that I rated with less than 5."

Mar 28, 2010 12:48 PM

Mar 2010
I'm actually surprised to see viewers in their 70's watching anime. But the 15-19 seems pretty high. Unless I'm reading the chart wrong. But the female demographics in their 30-40 range seems higher than the male demographic.

I hope that I'll still be watching shows when I'm that old. There's always something interesting to watch. Not necessarily on TV but feature-wise.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Manga 'Senpai ga Uzai Kouhai no Hanashi' Ends with 13th Volume

Hyperion_PS - 4 hours ago

6 by DrHizzle »»
42 minutes ago

» GoHands Produces Original TV Anime 'Momentary Lily' for Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - 7 hours ago

9 by Maumuu »»
2 hours ago

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - Apr 24

5 by Kushna »»
7 hours ago

» 'Code Geass: Dakkan no RozĂ©' Announces Additional Cast

DatRandomDude - Apr 10

17 by animegamer245 »»
8 hours ago

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Apr 23

31 by animegamer245 »»
11 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.