Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 14, 2019 8:21 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The bars are setting pretty high for Hakuto High School to overcome.

Episode itself felt like more of a mind thriller playing on the emotional psych of the characters. Only 2 more episodes left so they're setting the stages for the stage for the rest of the series. The koto played this episode was on another level.
Dec 14, 2019 8:29 AM

Nov 2007
Miyu-Miyu's character was assigned to be koto club's teacher 10 years ago. He felt that koto is like math that he's into it and even made songs. Aoi-san's character is the first one who performed his song. He's interested in him because of his attitude. He can see "color" of koto, but he doesn't like how he can play it according to what he can see. Teacher promising to make something he wants to play. Though teacher is quitting soon for his family...

It seems like Aoi-san's character saw the free play from main school, and can play a koto he likes before the teacher leaves.

The main school's turn next.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Dec 14, 2019 9:11 AM

Apr 2010
This episode went deep, Mio's past was interesting and the teacher working hard was nice as well.
But now the big moment for the others will they do well or will they do bad.

Hopefully it works out for them.
Dec 14, 2019 10:05 AM

Apr 2016
Oh shit, sasuke snapped .. but it seems it was all according to the calculations.
Dec 14, 2019 10:08 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
From a maths teacher that knew nothing about Koto to one that discovered that while old koto can still be a potent art when played correctly huh. Its nice that he managed to develop an genuine interest into it rather than just a cursory knowledge of it. Mio's ability though is pretty interesting though also potentially annoying as well. Still the true sound that Mio worked so hard to find certainly was beautiful. As expected their performance was a strong one that only got better as it progressed. Can't wait to see how the team will fare next ep.
ShingsterDec 14, 2019 10:11 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 14, 2019 10:18 AM
Sep 2015
People always walk out before Hokuto's performance, this time it's Houzuki's mom and Akira's grandmom. I'd love to have them heard Hokuto's performance.
Though I think the final song will be much better, they save the best song for the last anyway, we heard only a little bit while they're practicing, and an evil version by younger Houzuki, but even when it's incompleted it still blows me away.
Dec 14, 2019 10:19 AM

Dec 2014
The backstory for Mio and Hakuto adviser was great. I like how despite being a Math teacher he was able to take genuine interest in the Koto.

Sounds like Mio was finally able to make the sound he always wanted to, seeing him smile at the end after the performance was great.

It's finally time for Tokise to play, Kurata gave everyone a nice motivational speech at the end, next episode is gonna be so glorious.
Dec 14, 2019 10:26 AM

Jul 2007
This episode was definitely the most well written thus far and stands out for several reasons.

The concept surrounding the "right answer" is very relatable to me as a classical musician. We are trained to read and interpret music according to established conventions. Learning to craft our own sound that feels true to us is a lifelong journey that cannot be taught by someone else, though we can receive helpful guidance, like Yamamoto does in writing a piece with Mio specifically in mind.

Mio's earnestness in wanting to become the musician he wants to be has given more authenticity to his series for me, finally. I was worried the "importance of friendship" theme was going to be played out until I rolled my eyeballs back into orbit, honestly.

Regarding Yamamoto and his fascination with music as someone with a mathematics background: this is a real world concept dating from before the times of Pythagoras that was handled well in this episode. Many musicians have STEM background--I'm one of them--because of the link between the mathematical concepts of rhythm and meter and creative expression.

Excited for the next episode.

5/5
Dec 14, 2019 10:28 AM

Aug 2013
Nice seeing Mio's backstory. He's an interesting character. His smile at end...

Next week is Tokise's turn to play. Looking forward to it.

Dec 14, 2019 11:45 AM
May 2017
Just wow. Hakuto's perfomance was mindblowing. How can Tokise top that? I hope that we'll get a 3rd season.
Dec 14, 2019 12:01 PM

Dec 2015
Amazing episode. I'm sad that there's only 2 more episodes. I hope they announce another season soon.
Dec 14, 2019 12:39 PM

Feb 2014
janiwolf said:
Just wow. Hakuto's perfomance was mindblowing. How can Tokise top that? I hope that we'll get a 3rd season.
there's not enough material for that

"For the sake of humankind, I forsake my humanity." - Cherry
Dec 14, 2019 12:45 PM
May 2017
Genocyber said:
janiwolf said:

I see. So it's probably not coming anytime soon. I guess I'll catch up on the manga once this season ends.
Dec 14, 2019 12:55 PM

Sep 2014
Ahh, that was a great episode, and very relatable for me personally on several points. It was cathartic to see Mio finally get to play with the kind of sound he always wanted.
Dec 14, 2019 3:58 PM

Mar 2019
Great episode! I don't want it to end! damn last 2 episodes ..
Dec 14, 2019 4:32 PM

Oct 2017
Loved this ep.
The comparison between the flower, Mio and his sensei was greatest thing!
I am really hyped to see the presentation of our team and of course the last results!
-¡Give yourself to me!
Dec 14, 2019 5:14 PM

Oct 2009
Mizu said:
This episode was definitely the most well written thus far and stands out for several reasons.

The concept surrounding the "right answer" is very relatable to me as a classical musician. We are trained to read and interpret music according to established conventions. Learning to craft our own sound that feels true to us is a lifelong journey that cannot be taught by someone else, though we can receive helpful guidance, like Yamamoto does in writing a piece with Mio specifically in mind.

Mio's earnestness in wanting to become the musician he wants to be has given more authenticity to his series for me, finally. I was worried the "importance of friendship" theme was going to be played out until I rolled my eyeballs back into orbit, honestly.

Regarding Yamamoto and his fascination with music as someone with a mathematics background: this is a real world concept dating from before the times of Pythagoras that was handled well in this episode. Many musicians have STEM background--I'm one of them--because of the link between the mathematical concepts of rhythm and meter and creative expression.

Excited for the next episode.

5/5

All this, and let's not forget Yamamoto's genuine earnestness as a teacher, wanting to actually help his student and see him "bloom". I'm not sure it's more commonly the case these days, sad as that is...

Plus, those few moments Mio and Chika have shared in the past. Basically barely-there glances, but they each recognise, perhaps even come to understand what's going on with the other. Very subtle, but beautifully done.

And on a sidenote: it's really not fair that the story gives us so many schools AND introduces and depicts them all so very well, in a lot more detail than other such usually do. It's not fair that we're given several groups, each with their own very legitimate reasons to want to go nationals, while knowing that it'll be a heartbreak for all but one of them. Certainly more realistic than one would expect, and this is more the overarching writing over several episodes (chapters I suppose?), but it really came together now with going into Hakuto's backgrounds and details too.

Just... holy shit. Yeah, a 3rd season would be my xmas wish this year.
Dec 14, 2019 5:22 PM
Mar 2019
I honestly didn't like the music it seemed really bland compared to the manga, since we don't have sound it feels more intense than what happens in the anime. Also they removed alot of things that give more weight to there performance, one of my favorites is when chika gives hope ta another performer.
Dec 14, 2019 6:18 PM
Nov 2010
Chazea said:
I honestly didn't like the music it seemed really bland compared to the manga, since we don't have sound it feels more intense than what happens in the anime. Also they removed alot of things that give more weight to there performance, one of my favorites is when chika gives hope ta another performer.

I'm okay with how they handled the performance, but I agree that it had more impact in the manga.

As far as the scene with the other performers, I figured they were going to cut that part out - it's just a pacing thing. I am about 95% certain they are going to end it where I hoped they would, which is the last part of chapter 54. It will be damn glorious and a tremendous final shot.

There is a great deal of internal dialogue, which the anime cuts out, that helps make this one of my favorite mangas. This anime is extremely true to the source, but if you get a chance, check out the manga because it's even better.
Dec 14, 2019 6:36 PM

Jul 2017
Great episode. Is the "Tenkyu" piece a pun for "thank you"? I just noticed it and I'm pretty dumb if it is that obvious. It seems like they will show gratitude to something next time.

Once we realize it, everything will fall into place
Our hearts calling to the future with all their might
We'll move forward, holding each other's shaking hands
Dec 14, 2019 8:16 PM

Aug 2018
Can't wait to hear Tenkyu!
This ep was deep af
B O C C H I  S W E E P
Dec 14, 2019 8:23 PM

Feb 2011
That was actually so deep and amazing I got sucked in as well and was STARTLED when the ed. theme started playing

Oh my god.

If i could listen to that piece without the characters interjecting, i'd be so thrilled

Dec 14, 2019 9:12 PM
Mar 2015
The episode was full of emotions and after seeing the title of the next omg! I got even more excited! Finally we are going to hear 天泣 (Tenkyu)
Dec 15, 2019 6:49 AM

Sep 2011
I'm so glad that Yamamoto-sensei isn't dying or anything, but it's still sad. His dream was to become a math teacher, and he did it. Then he got to know the koto and fell in love with it and its mathematical side. He loved it so much that he started to create his own pieces, and he even met Mio, the first one who gave life to his creations. But he is about to give it all up for his family. Then there's Mio, who wasn't satisfied with his own sound, no matter how much praise he got. All he saw was a set path he had to follow, without being able to move himself. Until he met Yamamoto-sensei. It took 10 long years, but what came from their meeting finally bloomed on that stage. It was beautiful, and I love how everyone could tell that something special was happening there. Mio could finally go beyond the right answer.
Dec 15, 2019 6:56 AM
Jul 2018
-It was a good episode in general.

We will finally see the performance of our group! Can't wait to hear Tenkyu! *.*
Dec 15, 2019 12:35 PM

May 2018
oh shit Mio just lost it, he is playing as if he doing solo............

Being the only guy in his Koto Club,Mio was basically half crazy / half cocky.
Dec 15, 2019 2:56 PM

Nov 2019
Seeing Mio's sound he was looking for and how he finally found it was very beautifully illustrated.
This was a really great episode 8.5/10
Dec 15, 2019 2:58 PM

Nov 2019
waterfairy_ said:
-It was a good episode in general.

We will finally see the performance of our group! Can't wait to hear Tenkyu! *.*

saaaame :) I can't wait!
Dec 15, 2019 3:13 PM

Jul 2014
Fayrin said:
I'm so glad that Yamamoto-sensei isn't dying or anything, but it's still sad. His dream was to become a math teacher, and he did it. Then he got to know the koto and fell in love with it and its mathematical side. He loved it so much that he started to create his own pieces, and he even met Mio, the first one who gave life to his creations. But he is about to give it all up for his family. Then there's Mio, who wasn't satisfied with his own sound, no matter how much praise he got. All he saw was a set path he had to follow, without being able to move himself. Until he met Yamamoto-sensei. It took 10 long years, but what came from their meeting finally bloomed on that stage. It was beautiful, and I love how everyone could tell that something special was happening there. Mio could finally go beyond the right answer.

lmao I also thought the teacher was dying or something overdramatic like that. Glad it wasnt or else I woulda rolled my eyes hard. The backstory for these 2 characters is great, but as is the case for Kazusa, I felt that it wasnt as impactful as it could have been. There just wasnt enough screentime for these rival characters throughout the show, so I find it to hard care about them when they hit you with their entire backstory right before their performance.
Dec 15, 2019 6:09 PM
Mar 2015
He was able to follow his own path to a place no one had been before They had use the win it for senpai sports cliche
Dec 15, 2019 8:14 PM

May 2017
Damn, why is this show so good? I feel like a series about a koto club is so random, but it's just getting better and better. All of the characters are amazing and I love them.
Dec 15, 2019 11:38 PM
Jan 2019
janiwolf said:
Genocyber said:

I see. So it's probably not coming anytime soon. I guess I'll catch up on the manga once this season ends.
actually first season adapted first 26 chapters and second season will end at chapter 52 with end of qualifiers.So far 80+ chapters are out so there's enough material for 3rd season.
Dec 15, 2019 11:48 PM
May 2017
Subhankar said:
janiwolf said:

actually first season adapted first 26 chapters and second season will end at chapter 52 with end of qualifiers.So far 80+ chapters are out so there's enough material for 3rd season.

thats good to hear. Maybe I'll wait for an annoucement for a bit and then read the manga if it doesn't come
Dec 16, 2019 7:38 AM

Jul 2017
For Hakuto High School, advisor Yamamoto-sensei doesn't know much about koto, but when he does, he gives it his best. Knowing about Kanzaki, the music feeler, searching "beyond the right answer" isn't just enough, finding his own voice in the music he plays is key. Even after questioning his cousin Suzumori, Yamamoto-sensei still can't quite grasp what Kanzaki was aiming for.

And for Tokise, Akira and the others are ready, but not for long, as Kanzaki sets the mood going for their original musical repertoire. With how much Yamamoto-sensei has prepared the piece JUST SPECIALLY for him for 10 years, calculating math and music for a freedom of harmony that's as astounding. With their pride not just for themselves, but for the quitting Yamamoto-sensei, this job is his last...with Kanzaki Mio having found his voice at the end of it all. Impressive performance.

The pangs of feels and such just keep coming. 2 episodes left, with Tokise's the next to go after this.
Dec 16, 2019 7:43 AM

Sep 2011
UglyBarnacle said:
lmao I also thought the teacher was dying or something overdramatic like that. Glad it wasnt or else I woulda rolled my eyes hard. The backstory for these 2 characters is great, but as is the case for Kazusa, I felt that it wasnt as impactful as it could have been. There just wasnt enough screentime for these rival characters throughout the show, so I find it to hard care about them when they hit you with their entire backstory right before their performance.
You are right, this episode, and the previous one, would have had more emotional weight if we had spent more time with these characters. I still think it was well-handled and moving though. xD
Dec 16, 2019 1:43 PM

Mar 2012
Elinnea said:
Ahh, that was a great episode, and very relatable for me personally on several points. It was cathartic to see Mio finally get to play with the kind of sound he always wanted.
Which is why I think Tokise will win and not Hakuto. Mio got what he always wanted from this competition and Yamamoto fulfilled his wish for him. So them not going to Nationals will be fine for them even if Yamamoto is being forced to retire his dream job. Chika and Satowa are going to show everyone how to express their emotions through koto playing.
Dec 16, 2019 2:37 PM

May 2016
That was mind blowing, I love that math teacher...
Dec 16, 2019 5:48 PM

Aug 2018
I think season 2 gonna end either after or before announcing who will go to the nationals.

Theres a strong possibility of Season 3 of this
so im excited about it
B O C C H I  S W E E P
Dec 16, 2019 6:40 PM

Oct 2008
WOW! Kanzaki is on a whole different level! He is way beyond any threat anymore! He is an omega level competition annihilator! lolz!
5/5.

Dec 16, 2019 10:01 PM

Jul 2016
Hakuto's club advisor is so soft. I actually found quite interesting the story of how he ended up loving Koto music so much.

Overall, it was an average episode for me. I wasn't really that invested neither in Mio's backstory nor in his reasons for being so depressed. Perhaps, it's the fact that I'm not a musician but for me, he was just thinking things way too much. Still glad he found his "answer" in the end tho.

Regarding Hakuto's performance, I think it was quite simple and even boring during the first part before Mio did his solo.
Honestly, Himesaka's presentation was way more impressive considering how demanding and intense their piece actually was. There were also a lot more members in their club if I remember correctly so the difficulty of said piece was even higher.

Anyways, leaving that aside, next episode will finally be Tokise's turn. Absolutely looking forward to that new version of "Tenkyu"!
Dec 20, 2019 6:53 PM

Sep 2018
Another drama with Sensei or Senpai leaves / last performance lol
I don't understand Mio's drama, I'm not musician so I can't relate. Next episode is Team Chika's performance! I doubt they will win but.. maybe?!
Dec 20, 2019 10:54 PM

Dec 2014
hmmm the sound was not thaat great honestly
Feb 5, 2020 6:08 PM

Aug 2017
If I get very strict, I can find a bit unrealistic a math teacher created such a piece of music (and its worse if he knew nothing about Koto) but Hakuto's part was so good that it could cover that mistake. If anyone asks me, I hope they win, they deserve it.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Feb 7, 2020 11:06 AM

Jul 2015
Hakuto has gotten stronger, the bar has been set pretty high

I'm hyped to see how Tokise is going to perform next episode after all the training

Aug 23, 2020 5:16 PM
Oct 2019
I enjoyed this backstory more than the all girls school's backstory. MiO is an oddball and I tend to like the oddballs.

Time for Tokise's performance.
Nov 2, 2020 12:08 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Now this is entirely a nitpick and doesn’t really detract quality from the show, but I find it slightly annoying how they give us the touching backstory for each of these, bands....? I forget the correct terminology but I think it’s kind of cheap how they try to make you feel for these different bands even though our main band is competing against them.

Basically, “we want the competition to have more weight and feel more meaningful, here have a nice backstory for a rival team to make you feel for them all of a sudden!” Is this bad? Of course not, making you feel for both sides is a good thing. It’s just they kind of do it in a lazy way. If they wanted us to care for other teams I would’ve like to see some of their development alongside our main team, building up to the finale, instead of having them dump all this “make you feel for a rival team” stuff all at once and so suddenly.

Again, an extreme nitpick, but just something I thought I’d share

NYANPASU
5700XT

Jan 15, 2021 2:02 AM

Apr 2009
Eh? I couldn't feel anything for Hakuto at this point, even if Himesaka had also their own drama in their backstory. Move over, Tokise is performing next.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Feb 22, 2021 4:43 AM

Jun 2020
I’ve only just realised it was Aoi Shouta who sang both OPs. Wow I’m slow.

This episode was much more compelling than the previous. Really liked Mio & Yamamoto’s story. Dogtooth violet allegory, beautiful! Grows bit by bit, year by year. I really like Yamamoto, seeing him work hard on his own & being so passionate really inspires me.

but i’ll probably remember over and over again
you were there and everyone else was there
— the day we all searched for just one thing

Nov 6, 2021 4:50 AM

May 2020
Hakuto is definitely a step ahead with their "calculative" performance, them beating Himesaka wasn't a fluke at all.

Now time for the real thing.
Mar 19, 4:34 PM

Mar 2019
Nice backstory, I liked this episode more than Himesaka's, but I also like Mio so that makes sense, although I didn't expect that to be his struggle.

Now it finally is time for Tenkyu. I can't wait to hear the song and see what happens. Next episode won't be the last so surely this time we get the answer, lol.
Come on man,where is that Noragami season 3 masterpiece.We want it, Bones!

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kono Oto Tomare! 2nd Season Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 28, 2019

117 by Alex_TheForest »»
Mar 19, 6:04 PM

Poll: » Kono Oto Tomare! 2nd Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 21, 2019

142 by Alex_TheForest »»
Mar 19, 5:31 PM

Poll: » Kono Oto Tomare! 2nd Season Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 7, 2019

49 by Alex_TheForest »»
Mar 18, 4:13 PM

Poll: » Kono Oto Tomare! 2nd Season Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 30, 2019

43 by Alex_TheForest »»
Mar 16, 5:14 PM

Poll: » Kono Oto Tomare! 2nd Season Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 23, 2019

61 by Alex_TheForest »»
Mar 16, 4:24 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.