Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 16, 2019 6:46 PM

Mar 2015
Hello, I'm 20 and went for my first braces consultation. Apparently, next Tuesday i am going to do teeth impressions and then getting my braces on by the first week of December. I am very excited. If you have braces, how was your braces journey? Any tips for me? I heard it will hurt on the first week you get them and every month when they tighten it, it will hurt too. Is the pain unbearable? What sort of painkillers should I take? What can I eat for 2 years and what should I absolutely avoid eating during this journey? Do I really need the metal retainers lifetime after I get my braces off?

Those who never wore braces, what are your thoughts?
silvers0ulNov 16, 2019 7:14 PM
Gin-chan said:
Anime - it's not something that can be thought of in a hall for conferences. It is made out of strange juices current from the brain of animators.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 16, 2019 7:04 PM

Jan 2009
better ask this on reddit lol i doubt a lot of people here knows this stuff
Nov 16, 2019 7:11 PM

Mar 2015
deg said:
Sorry I can't believe no one on MAL ever wore braces in their life :(
Gin-chan said:
Anime - it's not something that can be thought of in a hall for conferences. It is made out of strange juices current from the brain of animators.
Nov 16, 2019 7:17 PM

Jan 2009
silvers0ul said:
deg said:
Sorry I can't believe no one on MAL ever wore braces in their life :(

there are users here that got braces im sure but the MAL forums is dying lol only few of us even browse this casual discussion parts of the forum
Nov 16, 2019 9:09 PM

Mar 2016
I had braces on for a little over a year. Not a very exciting journey, had them on, adjusted every few weeks then had them off. I think my teeth would have been fine without them but at least now I've got some neat teeth. Apart from food, it didn't really impact my life at all.

For me, I didn't have to use any painkillers but usually normal over the counter pain medications will work, it's better to check with your orthodontist though. Your teeth will hurt when you get them on/tightened but it's more of a pressure thing rather than pain. It might depend on how much it's been adjusted but since my teeth were mostly in place already, it might've lessened the pain.

Pretty much just avoid hard foods like pork crackling, biting into whole apples and chewy stuff like caramel or gum (although since your profile says you're in singapore, I doubt that'll be a problem). You can generally eat things (provided they aren't too hard) normally after the pain goes away. I usually had foods like yogurt and milk drinks after getting them tightened. Soft bread + soups/soft noodles/rice porridge, scrambled eggs are nice too. Watch out if they get stuck too much though, especially rice... Big tip is to chop everything up so you don't have to bite them apart and eat foods you can easily "chew" by smushing them on your mouth roof when your teeth hurt.
I didn't run into any problems with my brackets breaking which might happen if you eat the wrong things/get hit (during sports etc) or the back of the wire rubbing against my gums (they'll give you wax for that)
Another thing that might happen later on during the process are elastics to fix the alignment.

I don't have a permanent metal retainer - I have plastic ones you can take out. The metal ones are probably more convenient. If you don't have permanent retainers then you have to make sure you wear your retainers when your orthodontist tells you, or the two years you've had with braces on will be for naught since your teeth will move around.

Also... another pain with braces is cleaning them. You kinda have to relearn how to brush your teeth again and clean between each bracket, I used an interdental floss stick.

Feel free to ask if I've missed anything, although it's been a while since I've had them on so I'm a bit fuzzy on the details. the ortho will most likely go through this stuff as well, once you get them as well. Hope this might have helped a bit and good luck with your braces.

Nov 16, 2019 11:30 PM

Oct 2019
I had braces for a year and 10 months and honestly, it wasn't even that bad.
I got them on in the morning and still had to go to school that day and they didn't even hurt. The pain hit me that night but it wasn't too bad, kind of like a dull ache. The weirdest part was probably the feeling of having them there in your mouth.

I think the second day is the worst, I was crying because my mouth hurt so bad and I couldn't eat anything that was even slightly crispy but that feeling went away over time. I recommend soups and soft things for the first couple days :)
Getting your braces tightened can hurt but don't let it scare you since it's nowhere near as bad as the pain when you first get them on.
The only other painful experience that I had was elastics because when I first put them in they gave me a headache and me feel nauseous but I got used to them pretty quickly.

I was pretty lucky since my braces never once gave me ulcers or cuts but if you find that yours do, I think putting wax on the brackets or any part that you feel poking you fixes that. (I was given wax by my orthodontist when I first got mine on but I don't know if that happens everywhere. You might have to buy it yourself)

As for what to eat or be careful about, when I had my braces I ate in the exact same way I did without my braces. Excluding when I first got them on and the first few days after each tightening (since I ate soft foods and avoided stuff that would hurt) I ate completely normally. Hard, crunchy things like carrots and ice cubes were fine and so were sticky things like candy and chocolate. I don't like gum so I can't tell you whether that's okay to have since I never tried it.
I think just eat whatever you would eat normally as long as it's not painful.

Moulds are the worst and made me almost throw up several times but at least they're only in your mouth for like a minute.

I got my braces off in July of last year and I have a metal wire along the back of my teeth which I'll have till I'm like 20something (I can't remember the name for that kind of retainer). It felt a bit weird at first since I could feel it there when I had my tongue resting in my mouth but I got used to it quickly and it didn't hurt. I also need to sleep with a clear retainer on my top and bottom jaw which is kinda gross to take out in the mornings because of saliva and stuff but if you wash or at least rinse it every morning it stays clean and doesn't get all cloudy and gross.

Definitely the best of part of braces is having nice straight teeth afterwards
Nov 17, 2019 12:52 AM
Aug 2016
I never had braces, but I always wanted them, just to make my teeth perfect, but then my sister got braces and I was so envious of her, but she told me that it's so fucking painful and uncomfortable, and since I despite pain, I thought that it was actually a good thing that I don't have braces. The braces couldn't really do much for me anyway, since my teeth weren't bad in the first place, I just wanted them to make my teeth PERFECT.
Nov 17, 2019 2:03 AM

Mar 2015
Kaito said:
I had braces on for a little over a year. Not a very exciting journey, had them on, adjusted every few weeks then had them off. I think my teeth would have been fine without them but at least now I've got some neat teeth. Apart from food, it didn't really impact my life at all.

For me, I didn't have to use any painkillers but usually normal over the counter pain medications will work, it's better to check with your orthodontist though. Your teeth will hurt when you get them on/tightened but it's more of a pressure thing rather than pain. It might depend on how much it's been adjusted but since my teeth were mostly in place already, it might've lessened the pain.

Pretty much just avoid hard foods like pork crackling, biting into whole apples and chewy stuff like caramel or gum (although since your profile says you're in singapore, I doubt that'll be a problem). You can generally eat things (provided they aren't too hard) normally after the pain goes away. I usually had foods like yogurt and milk drinks after getting them tightened. Soft bread + soups/soft noodles/rice porridge, scrambled eggs are nice too. Watch out if they get stuck too much though, especially rice... Big tip is to chop everything up so you don't have to bite them apart and eat foods you can easily "chew" by smushing them on your mouth roof when your teeth hurt.
I didn't run into any problems with my brackets breaking which might happen if you eat the wrong things/get hit (during sports etc) or the back of the wire rubbing against my gums (they'll give you wax for that)
Another thing that might happen later on during the process are elastics to fix the alignment.

I don't have a permanent metal retainer - I have plastic ones you can take out. The metal ones are probably more convenient. If you don't have permanent retainers then you have to make sure you wear your retainers when your orthodontist tells you, or the two years you've had with braces on will be for naught since your teeth will move around.

Also... another pain with braces is cleaning them. You kinda have to relearn how to brush your teeth again and clean between each bracket, I used an interdental floss stick.

Feel free to ask if I've missed anything, although it's been a while since I've had them on so I'm a bit fuzzy on the details. the ortho will most likely go through this stuff as well, once you get them as well. Hope this might have helped a bit and good luck with your braces.

Will my jaw move from the first time I wear it or after a few months? (I have a deepbite)

Will I not be able to eat chicken or beef too?

Thanks I was actually just really excited >.<
Gin-chan said:
Nov 17, 2019 3:08 AM

Mar 2019
My thoughts are that my teeth are pretty crooked, but that it hardly matters because they show not when I talk — mumbler 4 lyfe.

It is obvious that "obscenity" is not a term capable of exact legal definition; in the practice of the courts, it means "anything that shocks the magistrate".

— Bertrand Russell
Nov 17, 2019 4:41 AM

Jul 2016
I had braces through (I think) about 2 years of high school. They're really annoying for the first few days and can really hurt. I remember I had trouble sleeping for the first few days. But as long as you take care of them and mind what you eat, then it shouldn't be too bad. You can still eat most things you used to, as long as it's small bites, so no biting wholesale into apples, and stuff like chewing gum, anything that might stick and be hard to remove.

Also, make sure the orthodontist has installed them properly. One time, he forgot to clip the wires at one end and it stabbed a hole through the inside of my cheek. That was fun. Sorry it's not all that hopeful a response, because, yeah, I hated having them, but good look to you.
Nov 17, 2019 5:09 AM

May 2014
I've had braces for 3-4 years now i'd say. I've been preparing for open bite surgery and my teeth need to be perfectly aligned so they'll fit together after the surgery. I think the first time they were put on it hurt for a few weeks and felt weird. Now whenever i go to get them tightened it hurts for 2 days tops and i can't really feel my braces anymore. I'm not super aware that i'm wearing them.

Take painkillers before you get them put on, as there's going to be a lot of aching. Every time you go to get them tightened too. I take ibuprofen. I think pain varies from person to person depending on how tight or thick the wire they're using is. For me, i have to be honest a few times it was agony for me when they were getting tightened. Just for a few seconds, but still >>

If you have an electric toothbrush, you probably won't need to bother flossing or anything. For me my toothbrush gets the job done fine. If you eat anything sugary, it might be worth giving your teeth a clean a bit afterwards. If you can't just drinking some water should be fine. And of course avoid acidic fruits and fizzy drinks. They'll tell you all this stuff though. After they've just been tightened you'll have to eat fairly soft things, but when that pain goes away you can eat what you want for the most part, just avoid really hard food. My wire got in a mess when i ate some pistachios lol. Thankfully steak is no problem at all!

And yes, i'm pretty sure most people need to wear retainers for the rest of their life. You can get one to wear all the time, or just one to put in before bed. That's usually how it goes.

A_Sad_Dust_Cloud said:

Also, make sure the orthodontist has installed them properly. One time, he forgot to clip the wires at one end and it stabbed a hole through the inside of my cheek. That was fun. Sorry it's not all that hopeful a response, because, yeah, I hated having them, but good look to you.

Oh wow, i'd be so mad at my orthodontist if that happened to me. Thankfully i'm so paranoid about stuff like that i'd take notice if they forgot to do that part :p
Nov 17, 2019 6:54 AM

Nov 2013
That's an interesting thing to be excited about.
My teeth were pretty crooked when I was younger and was told I should get braces, but as I got older and got my wisdom teeth removed, they ended up mostly fixing themselves.
They are not perfect, but they are good enough to the point I would not go through the procedure.

I can see you

Nov 17, 2019 7:43 AM

Nov 2017
I've had braces for a year and some change when I was in middle school. Everyone has a different pain tolerance, but for me, they didn't hurt whatsoever (that includes the times they tightened 'em). No aching, no soreness, nothing.

The dentist told me I couldn't bite into things. So if I wanted to eat an apple, I had to slice it up first. Or if I wanted to eat pizza I had to use a fork and knife, and couldn't eat the crust 😢 lol. Couldn't have any hard and sticky food either.

Honestly, the only annoying things when it came to braces were the flossing part and when I had to get rubber bands. Threading the floss around the brackets and wire was more time consuming. And sometimes, the rubber bands would just pop on their own.

I still have/wear my retainers, it went from wearing them unless I was eating to just wearing them when I sleep. Apparently, I'm supposed to wear them for the rest of my life, but that's fine with me. It's also thanks to to my braces that I'm able to keep my wisdom teeth (hallelujah)!

So yeah, have fun with the braces. They're worth it, and choosing the colour was always fun! *George Zimmer voice* You're gonna like the way you look, I guarantee it
Nov 17, 2019 9:06 AM

Jul 2016
Starchaser said:
Honestly, the only annoying things when it came to braces were the flossing part and when I had to get rubber bands. Threading the floss around the brackets and wire was more time consuming. And sometimes, the rubber bands would just pop on their own.

I still have/wear my retainers, it went from wearing them unless I was eating to just wearing them when I sleep. Apparently, I'm supposed to wear them for the rest of my life, but that's fine with me. It's also thanks to to my braces that I'm able to keep my wisdom teeth (hallelujah)!

Oh, I forgot about the rubber bands, that was fuckin' annoying for so long. Like, you think they'd have invented a better system by now than literally just sticking rubber bands in your mouth.

As for retainers, I had mine for a year, then it broke on its own and I just threw it away. Never got it replaced. That was maybe 3 or 4 years ago and my teeth are still straight.
Nov 17, 2019 9:28 AM

Dec 2015
When I was 13 I had braces on my bottom teeth for about a month before having them removed.
I'm British, everyone here has crooked teeth. Why draw attention towards it with a bunch of metal in my mouth.
Nov 17, 2019 9:35 AM

Oct 2012
I have crooked teeth too, but never wore braces. There was simply no medical reason for it. Also, my teeth look cute the way they are, so I don't complain =D
If life ain't just a joke
Then why are we laughing?

If life ain't just a joke
Then why am I dead?
Nov 17, 2019 10:02 AM

Oct 2015
My teeth aren't perfect but not to the point I would have to be forced to wear braces, which is fine by me.

Also, I heard you shouldn't drink mineral water and that's a no from me.
Nov 17, 2019 11:01 AM
Jul 2018
I wore braces for one year or so, it was enough because my teeth weren't thaaat crooked. I do use retainers while sleeping to this day and I'm gonna have to use them for as long as I care lol. I wish you luck, I used to take an ibuprofen before going to adjust it and one (hours after) more afterwards, it was enough to handle the worst of the pain. The worst part is when they place those elastic spacers between the back teeth to make space for the brackets. I bet not even opioids could lessen that nightmare, it hurts so so bad.
removed-userNov 17, 2019 11:05 AM
Nov 17, 2019 12:44 PM

May 2019
Had braces for around 3 years (can't remember exactly), it may not hurt right away but prepare for some occassional pain on the teeth. It's no sharp or unbearable pain, I never needed any painkillers but the pain may make eating a chore - speaking about eating, I was told I can eat everything as long as I brush the teeth afterwards, would recommend to do that. Good luck!~
Nov 17, 2019 4:40 PM

Feb 2019
Sphinxter said:
My thoughts are that my teeth are pretty crooked, but that it hardly matters because they show not when I talk — mumbler 4 lyfe.
I was under the impression you would be very facially expressive and outspoken, what a let down, Sphinxtertje.
Nov 17, 2019 5:04 PM

Mar 2019
Kosmonaut said:
Sphinxter said:
I was under the impression you would be very facially expressive and outspoken, what a let down, Sphinxtertje.
A superior man such as myself of course has no such random assumptions and expectations about things he has no way to verify.

Why would you assume as much? My hard to understand, mumbling voice is of legend and song, as well as my unemotive face.

https://www.speakpipe.com/voice-recorder/msg/sm8skjd7cdzumtlv

It is obvious that "obscenity" is not a term capable of exact legal definition; in the practice of the courts, it means "anything that shocks the magistrate".

— Bertrand Russell
Nov 17, 2019 5:04 PM

Mar 2008
I had braces as a kid for a couple years. You can't have anything hit your face or it can cut your lip up. You probably should get a water pick since theyaare hard to clean. Those clear straightener things are better than braces I think really because they do not stain your teeth with squares but might not have that available where you live. I actually have a smal amount of dental cement still stuck to one of my teeth but thankfully on the inside and it's not too noticable.
Nov 17, 2019 5:16 PM

Feb 2019
Sphinxter said:
Kosmonaut said:
A superior man such as myself of course has no such random assumptions and expectations about things he has no way to verify.

Why would you assume as much? My hard to understand, mumbling voice is of legend and song, as well as my unemotive face.

Well, Sphinxtertje, given your online dominating personality one would think that somehow translates into your irl mannerisms.

My, my, that was also not the voice I expect you to have. I'm surely a lesser man - I must download this audio and crop the last part to keep me company during the cold, lonely nights of winter.

OT: I never had braces, because my teeth are somewhat decent. My youngest sister has them for a few months now, what stands out to me most is that she can't bite into fruit because of them, she has to cut them first. Also, that she hates it. I guess you're the first one I have ever seen that's excited for it.
KosmonautNov 17, 2019 5:23 PM
Nov 17, 2019 5:22 PM

Mar 2019
Kosmonaut said:
Sphinxter said:

Well, Sphinxtertje, given your online dominating personality one would think that somehow translates into your irl mannerisms.
My online personality isn't different; I say the same things I say in real life — I say them with a mumbly voice and unemotive face. How would the words I choose to say things, which is all you get to see, have any bearing on the intonation or expressions I use to convey them?

My, my, that was also not the voice I expect you to have. I'm surely a lesser man - I must download this audio and crop the last part to keep me company during the cold, lonely nights of winter.
So what did you expect?

I would assume that the first time you saw my face it also looked not as you expected it to?

— Bertrand Russell
Nov 17, 2019 5:28 PM

Feb 2019
Sphinxter said:
Kosmonaut said:
My online personality isn't different; I say the same things I say in real life — I say them with a mumbly voice and unemotive face. How would the words I choose to say things, which is all you get to see, have any bearing on the intonation or expressions I use to convey them?
Sphinxtertje no baka. Dominating personalities, from my anecdotal evidence, tend to be more expressive, with good diction and clear mouth movements. More passive ones tend to be more 'inner' spoken, mumbling more, less facial expressions. These are, of course, but the observations of a lesser man.

I would assume that the first time you saw my face it also looked not as you expected it to?
Nope, your face looked like exactly what I had pictured.
Nov 17, 2019 5:37 PM

Mar 2016
silvers0ul said:

Will my jaw move from the first time I wear it or after a few months? (I have a deepbite)

Will I not be able to eat chicken or beef too?

Thanks I was actually just really excited >.<

The change is gradual so it'll take a couple months (or even years) to fix it, depending on the circumstances. I had my braces on for the shortest period of time out of the people I know that have them so yeah, it does depend. I'm not sure what method they'll use to fix it or exactly when they'll introduce them, but for elastics, I started a few months after getting braces and wore them until the end.

Chicken and beef will be fine! My diet was pretty much the same before and after, it's up to how sore your teeth are at the time, to be honest.

Nov 17, 2019 5:43 PM

Mar 2019
Kosmonaut said:
Sphinxter said:
Sphinxtertje no baka. Dominating personalities, from my anecdotal evidence, tend to be more expressive, with good diction and clear mouth movements. More passive ones tend to be more 'inner' spoken, mumbling more, less facial expressions. These are, of course, but the observations of a lesser man.
Well, I don't have a very dominant personality; I have a very condescending personality; there is a difference.

I have no desire to control whatever other men do; that most do so is one of the very reasons I consider them lesser beings; I merely have the desire to inform them of their inferiority.

Nope, your face looked like exactly what I had pictured.
So how would you describe my face and what made you think that? In my experience, many are surprised by that my face A) looks about a decade younger than I am; and B) is not European-looking.

— Bertrand Russell
Nov 17, 2019 5:45 PM

Mar 2008
OP did your wisdom teeth come in yet? If not it would screw up any changes from braces if they come in after.
Nov 17, 2019 10:19 PM

Mar 2011
I remember sodas, apples, taffy related candies were all on the not to eat list. Hichews also
"In the end the World really doesn't need a Superman. Just a Brave one"
Nov 18, 2019 3:57 AM

Oct 2008
I had a braces when I was in a grade school. I don't remember too much about it, but I don't think it was that bad, asides from kids making fun of me for having a braces.
Nov 18, 2019 7:21 AM

Dec 2010
I did braces twice. Once was for my lower teeth because one of the tooth was hindering with my speech. After that, I noticed that I had a really bad overbite and went to fix my upper teeth.

The pain is tolerable. It just feels like you don't have the strength to chew on food. I didn't avoid any food.

For my bottom teeth, I have a permanent retainer. For my top teeth, I have retainer where I put them on at night and remove it during the day.

Overall, having braces didn't have much impact on my lifestyle. I was told to quit smoking during the time I had braces because it would stain my teeth but I still continued smoking. There wasn't a stain though when I removed the braces.
0-chibiNov 18, 2019 7:25 AM
Nov 18, 2019 9:18 PM

Mar 2015
Orhunaa said:
My teeth aren't perfect but not to the point I would have to be forced to wear braces, which is fine by me.

Also, I heard you shouldn't drink mineral water and that's a no from me.
WHATwhy can’t I drink mineral water... :(

traed said:
OP did your wisdom teeth come in yet? If not it would screw up any changes from braces if they come in after.
I have 4 wisdom tooth but they did not come out and my dentist said it’d be fine

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
FancyjasperNov 20, 2019 3:54 AM
Gin-chan said:
Nov 19, 2019 7:22 PM

Jul 2011
I had braces when I was in grade school for a couple of years. Sometimes they really did hurt. I also got removable braces afterwards. I had some bad experiences with them but nevertheless I actually liked them.

Nov 20, 2019 3:50 AM
YouTuber / VA

Aug 2017
I don't know I ended up getting those invisible plastic molds and I only ended up needing to wear them for like a year in college and it wasn't even noticeable. Now I just wear a retainer at night. My teeth were pretty straight to begin with anyway.
Nov 20, 2019 6:09 AM

Jan 2018
this thread sounds scary. if anyone could please compare the level of pain of wearing it for the first week?

I don't have a perfect teeth but it's just average as the next asian dude, probably lol
Nov 20, 2019 7:06 AM

Mar 2015
KaRMuH said:
the pain was massive when they got tightened. thank god im over with them. u also do need to wear the retainers your entire life. i cant remember when i got my braces off but ive been wearing the retainer for close to 10 years by now. my sister didnt wear hers and her teeth shifted.
KaRMuH said:
the pain was massive when they got tightened. thank god im over with them. u also do need to wear the retainers your entire life. i cant remember when i got my braces off but ive been wearing the retainer for close to 10 years by now. my sister didnt wear hers and her teeth shifted.
that's what im literally worried about, i was thinking of getting the retainers off by 35 and then just using the clear ones every night
Gin-chan said:
Nov 20, 2019 8:25 AM

Apr 2014
I always wanted braces growing up, I thought they looked cool especially when people would get them in different colours.
Nov 20, 2019 9:03 AM

May 2019
KaRMuH said:

Aww, sorry to hear that you've had so much pain due to braces ( ._.)

About that retainer, I think it depends. My dentist for example didn't made me wear a retainer, I didn't even know that they are a thing until years after having gotten my braces off. My teeth didn't shift back though, lucky I guess?
Nov 20, 2019 9:24 AM

Nov 2016
I know you can go for braces online. Apparently they send you molds to take and you ship them back. It's a lot cheaper than a Doctor's visit. I've heard mixed things about them tho.

Never got braces myself, but my teeth grew in pretty straight. Still, if I could go back I'd elect to get them.

There's a video of a girl straightening her teeth herself using tiny hair tie rubber bands.
Nov 20, 2019 10:08 AM

May 2018
I used to have braces from ages of 11-13. with bands and everything. here are my tips:

- when the dentist asks for what colour you want, do not get green, yellow, brown or white.

- do not use teeth whiting toothpaste white you have the braces on. the areas covered in the brace will be yellow compared to the rest of the tooth when its removed

- getting your braced tightened does really hurt, you can feel all of your tooth even in the gum just constantly aching. its worse when you chew food so avoid solid foods- soup is your friend.

- if you get bands, make sure you wear them or else you'll be forced to wear permeant metal bands that you cant take off.

- make sure you wash your retainer daily or else it will start to smell really bad.
Nov 20, 2019 10:50 AM

Nov 2008
That sucks....but like anything, time heals. You should be well-used to them after a month or so. The first week will probably hurt but it's not intolerable and painkillers will really help. (Just Advil will be fine; you shouldn't need anything that strong)

Ugh...it's been so long since mine were taken off...but everyone in the thread is accurate.

It'll take a little time to get used to them but you'll be fine, really. :)

- make sure you wash your retainer daily or else it will start to smell really bad.

Yes. AND NEVER WRAP IT IN A NAPKIN.

Unless you want to pick through garbage. Oh lord, the stories I could tell you. xD So nasty.
ChiibiNov 20, 2019 10:53 AM

Nov 20, 2019 8:40 PM
Nov 2018
I never needed to wear them. And for some reason, I don't approach the girls who has full of wires in their mouth you know. (◑_◑)
Yasuhiro-Nov 21, 2019 7:22 AM

"Self respect is the greatest gift we can give to our self"

Nov 22, 2019 1:39 PM

Jan 2009
It was annoying to wear them at first, but I eventually got used to them and it's been so long ago that it doesn't even feel like it's been that much of an inconvenience. Had to wear one on my upper teeth for some years. Well, the first time I had to wear it was painful, but far from unbearable pain. I recall my mother having cut sandwhiches in little pieces for me to eat. Later on, I only had to wear something that could be taken out and later, only a little piece of wire on the inside. During a vacation, I had to have emergency treatment because it didn't hold properly, but everything went alright
Nov 23, 2019 12:49 PM

Mar 2015
Hi got my braces yesterday morning, until now I didn't feel any pain at all...except for a little soreness and tender feeling on my front teeth. Is that normal? Also kind of have a hard time eating not because it's painful but it feels weird like I forgot how to chew >.<
SudzyLoser said:
I'm currently 18 and this is my second time having braces (yeah I know, my orthodontist didn't give me a retainer and my horrid teeth shifted.) So I've been through it all.

The first time getting them on is pretty painful (not used to the pressure), I suggest buying Advil and some soft foods for the first days. After that, the tightening is painful but easily bearable! I HIGHLY suggest having a good meal before your appointments cause eating is not preferable. The only annoying thing would be elastics, though again you get used to it. (my elastics give me a tiny lisp)

Anyway, don't be scared you'll get used to the feeling after the first week- and you'll barely notice them after that. And after you get your braces off it'll feel completely wack, BUT make sure you wear your retainer especially if you had janked teeth- even if you get a metal one installed they still may shift so be careful!

EDIT - YOU ALSO WRECK TOOTHBRUSHES EASILY
Gin-chan said:
Nov 23, 2019 12:51 PM

Mar 2015
I just got my braces on and it's been 2 days I don't feel any pain except my front teeth feeling tender >.<
Chiibi said:
That sucks....but like anything, time heals. You should be well-used to them after a month or so. The first week will probably hurt but it's not intolerable and painkillers will really help. (Just Advil will be fine; you shouldn't need anything that strong)

Ugh...it's been so long since mine were taken off...but everyone in the thread is accurate.

It'll take a little time to get used to them but you'll be fine, really. :)

Yes. AND NEVER WRAP IT IN A NAPKIN.

Unless you want to pick through garbage. Oh lord, the stories I could tell you. xD So nasty.
Gin-chan said:
Nov 23, 2019 12:53 PM

Mar 2015
Just got my braces on and It's been two days I don't feel any pain...
hazecloud said:
this thread sounds scary. if anyone could please compare the level of pain of wearing it for the first week?

I don't have a perfect teeth but it's just average as the next asian dude, probably lol
Gin-chan said:
Nov 23, 2019 11:13 PM

Jan 2018
silvers0ul said:
Just got my braces on and It's been two days I don't feel any pain...
hazecloud said:
this thread probably

Oh nice, I guess it depends on the severity or tightness of it somehow. I had an injection to reduce the pain in an accident (body injury not teeth) and it wore off in two days. So hope you would stay comfy :)
Nov 24, 2019 6:33 AM

Jan 2017
i dislike braces. it takes away the imperfection of natural human aesthetic. some people look like dolls with straight teeth, which is sort of off putting. where is the character in this person’s face?
Nov 24, 2019 4:32 PM

Nov 2017
braces are shit cause you can't eat delicious foods;(

Nov 25, 2019 4:08 PM
Nov 2019
I had braces for two and a half years. Honestly...I absolutely loved them and I miss them now. The pain wasn't too bad for me. It was there, but more than tolerable and even kind of satisfying. Sort of like when you do a face mask and it tingles or burns and you have a feeling that it's doing something. The only pain that was annoying was the cuts to the inside of your lips/mouth. Just be aware when you feel something rubbing you the wrong way and put wax on that bracket. If you put wax on before you get a cut, it'll save you some pain. I ate everything that I would normally eat when I had them and only got a broken bracket twice. Once with pizza crust, and once for no apparent reason (I think the cement was just worn down on that bracket). I was able to get in and get them repaired within a day or two, and that only took about 10-15 minutes. If the pain is bad for you, ibuprofen should help!

As for the retainers, definitely wear them for life. Depending on how 'stubborn' your teeth are, they may start trying to go back to the way they were. You can also push them into being crooked with the way you eat, talk, move your tongue, etc. I have a few friends who had them and stopped wearing retainers and their teeth eventually became crooked again after about 10 years. I have a permanent retainer on the top and bottom and I wear my plastic retainer to sleep at night. If I don't wear my plastic retainer for a few days, it feels tight when I pop it back on. My fixed metal retainer recently broke and my front teeth started moving within a day. I only noticed it was broken because I accidentally bit myself because my canine tooth had shifted slightly. Not worth paying all that money/going through the pain and not maintaining it!
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» do you eat to live or live to eat?

707supremacist - 3 hours ago

8 by Meusnier »»
2 minutes ago

» Have you ever been falsely accused of anything?

Ejrodiew - May 1

26 by Noboru »»
3 minutes ago

» What is the strongest animal you could take in a fight?

Syukore - 1 hour ago

5 by Meusnier »»
4 minutes ago

» Do you use old technology? ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

RobertBobert - Aug 23, 2022

242 by D_D_DJ »»
15 minutes ago

Poll: » do you engage or ignore what you hate?

deg - Yesterday

12 by DesuMaiden »»
38 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.