Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 23, 2022 7:14 AM

Apr 2012
Do you use any outdated technology and how does it suit you? Have you faced obsessive attempts to convince you to start using the latest gadgets?
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Aug 23, 2022 7:20 AM

May 2021
I still use wired peripherals such as headphones/mouse/keyboards as opposed to wireless ones due to the cost to quality ratio being better on wired as well as the reliability of wired gadgets (Less latency, performs better). Just a habit from PC master race
Aug 23, 2022 7:25 AM

Sep 2017
I live in a sailing boat that is around 50 yo.

Every piece of tech inside is at least 20 yo.

So yeah.

I can manage ;)

(actually love old tech)
Aug 23, 2022 7:28 AM
Jul 2018
I don't use really old technology, but I also don't throw stuff away as long as it works. I don't have the money and I'm not willing to buy new stuff every year or every other year.

Also I hope in-ear-earphones with cables won't disappear soon. Knowing myself I will lose the wireless little shit in a second lol
Aug 23, 2022 7:28 AM

Jun 2016
I like tinkering with old power tools if that counts.

Also been looking all over for one of these old school flashlights, I know I could order like a brand new copycat but the real thing would mean a lot to me for some personal reasons.
Aug 23, 2022 7:32 AM

Jul 2022
I love CDs, even own a few, and am planning on buying more in the future.

Edit- Also prefer regular cameras over phones anytime of the day.
Aug 23, 2022 7:35 AM

Jul 2022
_Maneki-Neko_ said:
I don't use really old technology, but I also don't throw stuff away as long as it works. I don't have the money and I'm not willing to buy new stuff every year or every other year.

Also I hope in-ear-earphones with cables won't disappear soon. Knowing myself I will lose the wireless little shit in a second lol

The wireless ones also need to be charged once a day/two days, so you can't just use them whenever and wherever.
Aug 23, 2022 7:37 AM

Jul 2022
VampireSylphy said:
I still use wired peripherals such as headphones/mouse/keyboards as opposed to wireless ones due to the cost to quality ratio being better on wired as well as the reliability of wired gadgets (Less latency, performs better). Just a habit from PC master race

I highly recommend wireless keyboards and wireless mouses. Especially the latter. Words cannnot express the convinience that comes with holding my mouse like a can of soda, to my side, as I left click the thing while playing visual novels.
Say-My-NameAug 23, 2022 8:11 AM
Aug 23, 2022 7:48 AM
Jul 2018
theassholeofmal said:
_Maneki-Neko_ said:

The wireless ones also need to be charged once a day/two days, so you can't just use them whenever and wherever.

I mean, that won't be a problem. I'm positive I won't have them longer than for two days maybe. xD
Aug 23, 2022 7:52 AM

May 2021
theassholeofmal said:
VampireSylphy said:

I highly recommend wireless keyboards and worseless mouses. Especially the latter. Words cannnot express the convinience that comes with holding my house like a can of soda, to my side, as I left click the thing while playing visual novels.

It wouldn't work for me as I only play action games like first/3rd person shooters & Diablo style hack & slash games with real time combat so wireless is out for me as I don't want to risk latency
Aug 23, 2022 7:58 AM
Cat Hater

Feb 2017
Yeah, I never use wireless stuff. Especially earphones - never trust those. Like, there's always this guy on the train who always thinks they are on but in reality, we can all hear the YouTube/TikTok videos playing, and I'm pretty sure there are far more embarrassing scenarios out there!
Aug 23, 2022 8:15 AM

Nov 2011
A calculator, as in an actual physical calculator.

You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Aug 23, 2022 8:17 AM

Mar 2008
Sadly I have very little vintage and retro tech still in possession. Old weather radio from the 70s and a volt meter from I think same time period which I plan testing if it works once I find the probes for it. Years ago had a typewriter but I think my mom ditched it I think. I miss it.

Erg_Orgy said:

Also been looking all over for one of these old school flashlights, I know I could order like a brand new copycat but the real thing would mean a lot to me for some personal reasons.

Not sure why you can’t find that style flashlight. Took me seconds looking up “vintage flashlights”.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/1197911843/vintage-metallum-flashlight-with-domed
https://www.etsy.com/listing/1214169645/vintage-flashlight-1-colors-flashlight
https://www.ebay.com/itm/133569202091?hash=item1f195847ab:g:EzwAAOSwK1xfptq0
Or you looking for that exact model?
Aug 23, 2022 8:23 AM

Feb 2018
Hmm no. I think all my old gadgets have been phased out. The oldest gadget i have is an ipod touch 3rd gen which my late grandma had gifted me, i don't use it anymore. It's sentimental so i just keep it

If you are a friend. Visit my profile to recommend me something to watch ( ^▽^)ψ__
Aug 23, 2022 8:42 AM

Jun 2016
traed said:
Sadly I have very little vintage and retro tech still in possession. Old weather radio from the 70s and a volt meter from I think same time period which I plan testing if it works once I find the probes for it. Years ago had a typewriter but I think my mom ditched it I think. I miss it.

Erg_Orgy said:

Not sure why you can’t find that style flashlight. Took me seconds looking up “vintage flashlights”.

I gave up on the exact model but I am looking for something from my country at least.
Aug 23, 2022 10:31 AM

Dec 2015
I don't know if it still works but I still have the walkman or a device to listen only CD's and still have the disc with playlist having stuff like Chihuaha or mambo nr 5 etc. Aswell as I still have the original cassetes of Star Wars and Thibaud ou les Croisades [Desert Crusader] series. Except these I don't know if I use any of the "old" stuff, surely I have some but they just gather dust in the basement, instead of being used.
Aug 23, 2022 10:34 AM

Jan 2021
I wouldnt exactly call them outdated but I still use a decade old ipad and almost a decade old nokia asha 210.
If you enjoyed the time you wasted, then its not a waste of time.

Aug 23, 2022 10:40 AM

Aug 2022
I love vinyl and record players though I haven't owned one in a while still looking to find the perfect used record player at a second-hand store. Also, I own an old rotary phone though I currently don't have a landline.
Aug 23, 2022 10:46 AM

Apr 2022
I have a collection of old Nokia phones, from back when all phones didn't look the same. Many of them still work (those things were built like pocket-sized tanks), but alas you can't really use them on modern networks. They are just too cool to get rid of though... ☎️😎

Aug 23, 2022 11:01 AM

Jun 2022
i dont like old tech, im just stuck in my ways

i dont use wireless stuff because bluetooth or charging or whatever is kind of annoying.

got lots of stuff thats from my parents which is extremely old, like i got a drill from the 50s and a bunch of 70s audio equipment.

the oldest is a lamp from the 1930s that i use when im building gundam. but it shorted and blew the bulb recently and ive been afraid to touch it since, lol. id been using a fancy smart LED with it too. smart led bulb in a hundred year old lamp.
i love lain
i love lain
i love lain
i love lain
i love lain
i love lain
i love lain
i love lain
Aug 23, 2022 11:07 AM

May 2022
oh boy this topic hurts me so badly but at the same time i still read it...
KINIRO MOSAIC FOREVER
Aug 23, 2022 11:20 AM

Aug 2014
VampireSylphy said:

_Maneki-Neko_ said:

Wired headphones (particularly ones that cost thousands) can have far superior sound quality to wireless, so it's not inferior tech anyway.

theassholeofmal said:
I love CDs, even own a few, and am planning on buying more in the future.

Although CDs are considered old tech, they are theoretically capable of reproducing all the audio human ears can hear.

Typical lossless downloads (with a bit depth of 16 bits, sample rate of 44.1 kHz, and bit rate of 1,411 kbps) have audio identical to CDs. There is "hi-res" audio that is "technically" better than CD quality...but no reliable evidence that it has any added benefits for human ears. (It does have benefits for working with audio in studios, however.) Sometimes you can be listening to two different masters of a recording. Whenever I isolated the variables and converted a hi-res file (such as 24 bit 192 kHz 4,608 kbps) to CD quality myself, the two files sounded identical. (And I have owned lots of nice audio gear.)

Edit- Also prefer regular cameras over phones anytime of the day.

I have a vintage Japanese Pentax K1000 manual film SLR camera. It doesn't even use batteries, so you have to do everything yourself. When I was a teenager (I'm 35 now), I would go out into the wilderness and take calendar-quality nature photos with it. I still need to digitally scan my old slides and negatives.

theassholeofmal said:
I highly recommend wireless keyboards and wireless mouses. Especially the latter. Words cannnot express the convinience that comes with holding my mouse like a can of soda, to my side, as I left click the thing while playing visual novels

My wireless keyboard died on me, so I went back to the wired version. I do like wireless mice, though.

VampireSylphy said:
It wouldn't work for me as I only play action games like first/3rd person shooters & Diablo style hack & slash games with real time combat so wireless is out for me as I don't want to risk latency

Some wireless mice have even better latency than wired.

I also play FPS games and so on. I got thousands of dollars worth of gaming mice to determine which ones I would prefer. (And returned most afterwards.) The winner was the wireless Finalmouse Starlight-12 Phantom S, which I had to buy new on eBay for $260 because it sold out within hours. (The original price was $190.) It's the top-ranking mouse on this comparison too:

https://www.rocketjumpninja.com/top-mice

Here's a photo I took of it next to a Razer Viper Mini. I prefer the Razer's effortless optical clicks, but everything else on the Finalmouse is a lot better.
SmugSatokoAug 23, 2022 12:04 PM
Aug 23, 2022 11:47 AM

Aug 2022
I always keep a flint knife with me.

No Metal Detector Problems.
Aug 23, 2022 12:42 PM

Oct 2016
I have a record player and old consoles for the 80s and 90s. My phone is a few years old but it still works. My computer tho. It's around 12ish years old. Still has a 670 gpu can't run any games so I have to use my fiances computer. It still runs what I need so I'll update it eventually.
Aug 23, 2022 12:47 PM

Mar 2008
Erg_Orgy said:
traed said:

I gave up on the exact model but I am looking for something from my country at least.

Hmm i see *scratches head*

Anyway just look at the kind of words they use to describe these things and it may help you wind what you’re looking for exactly. Check places like Ebay, Etsy, and Mercari and could go to local antique shops and garage sales.
Aug 23, 2022 12:57 PM
Jul 2018
(except for my basic cheap smartphone) I only own a 2-year-old laptop and used basic iPad 8th gen (that I got from someone for free because they are spoiled and didn't care about having it in the first place).

...oh, and also the Wacom Small (2018 ver) drawing tablet that I haven't used since 2019.

Other than that, I don't have any old tech devices or electronics.
Aug 24, 2022 2:05 AM

May 2022
D_D_DJ said:
oh boy this topic hurts me so badly but at the same time i still read it...

oh god this shit is worse than i expected it to be...
like that bjuice above for example... damn bro "2 yo laptop" is a very old technology.
KINIRO MOSAIC FOREVER
Aug 24, 2022 3:31 AM

Mar 2021
Too many of the things I use are being listed here as old technology. I use what works and I’m not paying for Spotify premium or any other scam that I already get for free with “old tech”. I still go jogging with wired earphones. I still play the radio on my phone. I still have wired keyboards alongside my wireless ones. I still have some old gaming consoles at my mothers house. I still have old CDs, cassettes, video tapes and vinyl records at my mother’s place.
Aug 24, 2022 5:06 AM

Oct 2012
_Maneki-Neko_ said:

Saaame. Everytime I see someone with these things in their ears I get nervous on their behalf.

I still use an mp3 player, because I don't want to use precious phone battery just for music.
If life ain't just a joke
Then why are we laughing?

If life ain't just a joke
Then why am I dead?
Aug 24, 2022 7:49 AM

Jun 2016
traed said:
Erg_Orgy said:

Hmm i see *scratches head*

Anyway just look at the kind of words they use to describe these things and it may help you wind what you’re looking for exactly. Check places like Ebay, Etsy, and Mercari and could go to local antique shops and garage sales.

Oh lol my b I meant Hungarian made stuff. We have our own ebay copycat sites but for some reason these flashlights don't pop up often.
Aug 24, 2022 8:50 AM

May 2022
Illuminatli said:
_Maneki-Neko_ said:

Saaame. Everytime I see someone with these things in their ears I get nervous on their behalf.

I still use an mp3 player, because I don't want to use precious phone battery just for music.

would be cool if you at least knew its real name which is DAP
KINIRO MOSAIC FOREVER
Aug 24, 2022 9:06 AM

Jun 2014
All the time. My computer speakers run into an Akai AM-2450 amplifier, which has a pair of Pioneer 70 watt bookshelf speakers hooked up to it. The Akai is over 40 years old, and the Pioneer speakers are around 30 years old. I bought the Pioneer speakers for $2 at a yard sale a couple of years ago, and I bought the Akai amp for $20 at a yard sale earlier this year, and I got a broken Sony PS-22 turntable with it for free. I couldn't fix the turntable, but I was able to make use of the cartridge and needle on it, by sticking it on another turntable that worked, but had a broken needle.

I've also been using my Sony TC-RX55 cassette deck recently, which I got in a yard sale last year for $5, and it works great.

I have an old computer hooked up to my Sony HD Trinitron CRT TV in my living room for watching anime, and older anime looks incredible on it. I'm currently watching "Lady Georgie" on the Trinitron.

Hell, my current computer is 12 years ago, so pretty much everything that I use is somewhat old now.

Aug 24, 2022 11:55 AM
ああああああああ

Apr 2013
Not super old but I regularly use the PS3 and PSP.

This ground is soiled by those before me and their lies. I dare not look up for on me I feel their eyes
Aug 24, 2022 12:25 PM
Jul 2018
Shouldn't this be in the tech section of the forums?
Aug 24, 2022 12:30 PM

Jan 2020
i like me a good ol' fashion cup.

yup.
Aug 24, 2022 3:56 PM

Jan 2020
RobertBobert said:
Do you use any outdated technology and how does it suit you?

My computer monitor is from 2008 I think lol.
And I never listen to music or watch anime on it because it has just one speaker which I'm pretty sure come from the 2000s, since it fricking destroys your eardrums everytime you dare use it. Also, my webcam was given to me by my cousing for online lessons during the pandemic, and it looks like something a teen would have around the first years of this century too.
I like listening to music on my MP3 (and sometimes on a disk player), I like old consoles and games (they had the charm modern games don't, in particoular portable consoles and visual novels).
I also use old style headphones because I don't like bluethooth at all, and I would love to own a flip-phone again, because they were the best. Also, I don't like social.

So yeah, I'm really attracted to "old" technology, in particoular from the late 90s-first 2000s.
Aug 24, 2022 4:55 PM

Jul 2021
I made some new friends the other day and they asked to add me to IG or Twitter. I don't have social media so I sent them my info SMS text. I think they thought I'm much younger & wayy more hip than I actually am =D. I'll take it.
Aug 24, 2022 5:15 PM
Jul 2022
You do post some fun topics..

It depends what you mean by outdated though. If there is a clearly superior option that comes out over time, then Im upgrading. But its absolutely true that newer isnt always better, and I dont follow trends in much of anything.

I have quite a few tools that are 50+ years old and their quality is second to none. There may be newer options available that are just as good, but none that are better. There are also some that have newer options that appear better on paper, but in practice they are not.

Personally, Im really big on melding the traditional with cutting edge technology. A paradigm where technology isnt a front and center thing, but more hidden while also being significantly more advanced. And definitely dont like the current approach of perceiving all of daily life through a digital filter.

@RobertBobert maybe give some personal examples?
Aug 24, 2022 5:17 PM

Apr 2012
NyarlatAnime said:
You do post some fun topics..

It depends what you mean by outdated though. If there is a clearly superior option that comes out over time, then Im upgrading. But its absolutely true that newer isnt always better, and I dont follow trends in much of anything.

I have quite a few tools that are 50+ years old and their quality is second to none. There may be newer options available that are just as good, but none that are better. There are also some that have newer options that appear better on paper, but in practice they are not.

Personally, Im really big on melding the traditional with cutting edge technology. A paradigm where technology isnt a front and center thing, but more hidden while also being significantly more advanced. And definitely dont like the current approach of perceiving all of daily life through a digital filter.

@RobertBobert maybe give some personal examples?

Personal examples of what exactly?
Aug 24, 2022 5:23 PM
Jul 2022
RobertBobert said:

Your topic ya dork :P

Examples that are personally relevant to you where you might have held out on moving on from something "outdated," or just general examples you have encountered.
Aug 25, 2022 12:38 AM

Jun 2016
I drive my mom's old FIAT but I expect to get a new car next year. It's amazing though how a FIAT of all things has managed to last 20 years.

A pump action shotgun is old technology but is not obsolete.

Mandolin. Also old technology, also not obsolete.

My fridge is as old as me. Still works though.

I'm very slow at updating the Ubuntu laptop I have to the tatest version because new releases are broken initially. Does that count?

My computer monitor only has VGA so I have to use a DVI to VGA adaptor. Even though it hasn't created any problems I use this PC to run modern video games and VGA is a dead standard so I should replace it. OK I lied there is one issue. The refresh rate is 60hz and I always get screen tearing unless I turn vsync on. Probably not VGA's fault but the fact that it's a 2000s LCD.

EDIT: And I also use an xbox 360 controller for PC. Still works and I don't think about replacing it. Sucks for tekken though so I use a PS4 controller for that.
Theo1899Aug 25, 2022 12:42 AM
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Aug 25, 2022 1:34 AM

May 2022
Theo1899 said:
I drive my mom's old FIAT but I expect to get a new car next year. It's amazing though how a FIAT of all things has managed to last 20 years.

I'm very slow at updating the Ubuntu laptop I have to the tatest version because new releases are broken initially. Does that count?

My computer monitor only has VGA so I have to use a DVI to VGA adaptor. Even though it hasn't created any problems I use this PC to run modern video games and VGA is a dead standard so I should replace it. OK I lied there is one issue. The refresh rate is 60hz and I always get screen tearing unless I turn vsync on. Probably not VGA's fault but the fact that it's a 2000s LCD.

EDIT: And I also use an xbox 360 controller for PC. Still works and I don't think about replacing it. Sucks for tekken though so I use a PS4 controller for that.

damn bro i did not know that vehicles are outdated technology bruh
KINIRO MOSAIC FOREVER
Aug 25, 2022 1:51 AM

Jun 2016
D_D_DJ said:
Theo1899 said:

Vehicles are technology and 20 years is a long time ago so 20 year old vehicles are old technology. Yeah I think it counts. Especially passenger cars which come out all the time. For other types of vehicles like airplanes, maybe not. Those get outdated slower.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Aug 25, 2022 1:56 AM

Apr 2012
NyarlatAnime said:
RobertBobert said:

Your topic ya dork :P

Examples that are personally relevant to you where you might have held out on moving on from something "outdated," or just general examples you have encountered.

I have two old LG TVs at home and my computer as a whole went out of date somewhere in the late 00s.
Aug 25, 2022 2:36 AM

Mar 2018
RobertBobert said:
Do you use any outdated technology and how does it suit you? Have you faced obsessive attempts to convince you to start using the latest gadgets?
i don't have the money to use new tech so still using old pc like 10 years old and 5+ year old mobile phone 😵💀💀
Aug 25, 2022 5:38 AM

May 2022
Theo1899 said:
D_D_DJ said:

Vehicles are technology and 20 years is a long time ago so 20 year old vehicles are old technology. Yeah I think it counts. Especially passenger cars which come out all the time. For other types of vehicles like airplanes, maybe not. Those get outdated slower.

following the logic of this tread nothing and everything at the same time is old technology.
for example 2016 betamax cassettes are old technology but they were produced till march of that year... so is it new or old technology if you bought a new one in 2016?
going to the point... this threat in its current way makes no sense. old doesnt have a definition so everyone will say something else... if the thread had the name as in the first post "do you use an outdated technology" shit would make sense since this is already defined: outdated technology is the technology that is no longer casual use. if you use a car that is steam powered then it is an outaded technology but 20 yo petrol car is something as common as brand new cars on the road so your shit aint correct. as with xbox360 i can agree because "everyone" uses now xbox series x makes 360 an obsolete console thus it is outdated enough to put it in that thread but when i fucking see "i got a 2 yo phone" here i want to die
KINIRO MOSAIC FOREVER
Aug 25, 2022 5:40 AM

Jan 2009
i recently got a smartphone but still heavily use my dumbphone
Aug 25, 2022 9:06 AM
Yare Yare Daze

May 2022
I still play PS3 sometimes the 360. Yup I use old tech
Aug 25, 2022 9:34 AM

Mar 2008
Erg_Orgy said:
Oh lol my b I meant Hungarian made stuff. We have our own ebay copycat sites but for some reason these flashlights don't pop up often.

Because they were at one time normal there they maybe aren’t valued enough that someone would think of selling it online maybe. Also tried checking the Facebook marketplace if anyone there uses it? It’s where people sell and give away stuff locally. Though some scams occur there so be mindful of that.
Aug 25, 2022 9:40 AM
Émilia Hoarfrost

Dec 2015
Moonspeak said:
I live in a sailing boat that is around 50 yo.

Every piece of tech inside is at least 20 yo.

So yeah.

I can manage ;)

(actually love old tech)

What do you mean you live in a boat owo?

Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Have you ever really sit down and really think about the short term and long term effects of AI in your industry?

tsukareru - May 5

16 by RyuRabbit »»
2 minutes ago

» Have you tried the WacDonalds sauce?

tsukareru - May 2

12 by RyuRabbit »»
3 minutes ago

» What is the point of forums?

cosmosreceiver - Yesterday

24 by RyuRabbit »»
4 minutes ago

» Have you ever been falsely accused of anything? ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - May 1

53 by UnstableBrat »»
9 minutes ago

» Do you celebrate your Birthday

ST63LTH - 4 hours ago

9 by UnstableBrat »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.