Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Chihayafuru
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Oct 22, 2019 10:57 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This was an emotional start. We got the main characters back again and the familiar tune of the Chihayafuru tune I remember. Those characters look like how I remember from the previous seasons. There's also some fundamentals about the karuta gameplay (a bit refreshing since it's been years since season 2 aired)

We also got Chihaya and Taichi who wants to be part of a training camp. It's wonderful just seeing this show back again. Can't wait to see more of this season.
Oct 22, 2019 11:11 AM

Nov 2007
Starting the season w. the three of them when young Arata left.

Junior high when Chihaya was invited to join Rikujou-bu (her start of running was like doing Karuta), and in return she invited that girl to Karuta. Taichi, in different junior high, remembering the time with Arata. Arata, after leaving, also remembering time w. Chihaya.

Then previous seasons in recap w. OP.

Chihaya and Taichi to opponent school to train. The training was strict. It seems like there are other schools, too. lol @ there's love story. Girls talk, too.

Someone warning that Taichi is stronger than Chihaya.

Practice matches and opponent is that short hair girl, using only left hand. Chihaya losing, but the opponent is getting scary of her for being persistent.

Getting tired in 3rd match, but the female coach corrected posture. She said needs to maintain good posture regardless of being tired.

Her next opponent is Taichi. She lost.

Airing 2 eps. non-stop next.
https://twitter.com/chihaya_anime/status/1186706030387875840
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Oct 22, 2019 12:42 PM

Oct 2017
Not gonna lie I teared up a little bit when the "Team Chihayafuru" motif started the episode
Oct 22, 2019 1:17 PM

Dec 2007
I am so hyped about this show starting. How incredibly lucky we are! First episode and it seems like the show has not missed a beat. How many shows can take a multi year break and come back with an intact cast, director, studio, even opening theme artist?!? The show has every bit of charm that I remember and I am very much looking forward to the rest of the season.
Oct 22, 2019 1:23 PM

Feb 2011
LET'S GOOO IT'S FINALLY BACK ! I'm glad to see that there's no quality drop in the production so far, I really feared that. So good to have them back <3

Oct 22, 2019 1:28 PM

Mar 2008
I've waited so long for this. We pick up right where season 2 left off. The training was intense. I loved the match between Chihaya and Rion. I wish they would have shown just a little of her match with Taichi though. Hurry up next week!
Oct 22, 2019 1:28 PM

Oct 2012
Cried through the whole episode because of course I would. I have no words to express how happy I am for being alive to see this season getting animated. Can't wait for what's to come. I will try to prepare my heart once more.
Oct 22, 2019 1:57 PM

Mar 2018
I never tend to rewatch a episode but with Chihayafuru I did. My GOAT is back
Oct 22, 2019 2:10 PM

Nov 2016
The whole atmosphere of this series is as beautiful as ever and I fell in love all over again, fantastic start. Already listened to the new opening song before, but it was even better with visuals from the previous seasons.

And lol, Chihaya still too adorable

So much looking forward to the upcoming highlights of this season

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 22, 2019 2:16 PM

May 2015
So glad it's back! Started off with a nice little refresher and flashback, and then went straight back into the story. It's gonna be a good season getting to watch this every week.

♡ artist
サコ
Oct 22, 2019 2:22 PM

Oct 2010
Amazing that Madhouse decided to make a Season 3 of anything lol. Beautiful OST comes back, beautiful Chihaya. So nice to be back. Also glad that it wasn't a full recap. Really just threw us right back...almost felt like the last 5 years of nothing didn't exist! - almost lol.

God it feel so good to have this show back!
Oct 22, 2019 2:23 PM

Apr 2014
Great first episode with a little bit of flashback and jumping right into the training camp.

Chihaya's eating face is hilarious

Oct 22, 2019 2:25 PM
Aug 2010
Show is still on point with the great facial arts at times as well as the overall art. The music and sound work is still top notch. I am so glad this is back.

Btw, Team Arata forever :)
Oct 22, 2019 2:36 PM
Oct 2012
How many chpaters did this episode cover, for manga readers out there?
Oct 22, 2019 2:37 PM

May 2015
Not gonna lie, teared up the minute I heard the main theme start playing. That was everything I could have asked for and then some. The animation is on point, the ost is as beautiful as ever, and the voice acting doesn't seem to have missed beat in the 6 year wait. Next Tuesday cant get here soon enough.
Oct 22, 2019 3:20 PM

Nov 2007
The love that is Chihayafuru is finally back!

Interestingly, the first part of this episode was taken from Chihayafuru: Chuugakusei-hen. I am glad that it worked as a bit of a promotional for Tokiumi Yui-sensei and at the same time gave a quick "the story so far" before jumping right back at where it ended.

I am not gonna lie. I have soft spots for Rion and I am excited to see her development as a character. Chihayafuru will let even the side characters to shine! And of course Sakurazawa-sensei. God, I swear if we go to the Midori chapters, I am gonna cry a bucket.

As for the romance, we are continuing where it was at alright.

Fujisaki Girl A: Ayase-san, do you have a boyfriend?
Fujisaki Girl B: You must have one! I bet guys are all over you!
Fujisaki Girl A: Does he play karuta?
Karuta Baka: I... I don't have a boyfriend.
Fujisaki Girl A: Oh, come on! What about the Mizusawa club president?
Karuta Baka: But if I don't get better at karuta, I won't even get to sit across him, so I have to work hard.

And she says that while completely ignoring the question that precedes it. Gonna hurt some fans but that's how it is.
I am gonna advise people to just enjoy the fun episodes for the time being. It's gonna start hurting for real down the line this season.
Also, next two weeks will have 2 episodes each. So, next week we will get episodes 2 and 3 and episodes 4 and 5 in the following one. :)
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Oct 22, 2019 3:40 PM

May 2008
it feels so good to see this anime back! the whole episode was pure bliss to watch, too good!
Oct 22, 2019 3:41 PM
Jul 2015
Omg. I was crying. The opening made a stream of salty water down my check. I’m miss them sooo much. <3
Oct 22, 2019 3:44 PM

Feb 2018
Chihaya was really panicking when the "love talk" started lol. That's not at all where her mind is.
*Mourning the disappointment of The Promised Neverland season 2.*
Oct 22, 2019 3:44 PM

Jun 2010
shanimebib said:

Karuta Baka: But if I don't get better at karuta, I won't even get to sit across him, so I have to work hard.

And she says that while completely ignoring the question that precedes it.

Maybe I read that scene in a different way? I think she's actually answering. "I don't have a boyfriend but if I don't get better at karuta, I won't even get to sit across him (the boy I like) so I have to work hard)"

Maybe it's just me and my Team Arata glasses.

Loved the episode, though it felt a little rushed at first.
Oct 22, 2019 3:52 PM
Mar 2017
Finally...she is back, the beautiful and adorable Chihaya is back, you do not know the joy I feel to see the cute Chihaya again.
The episode had a very moving beginning, to be able to see again how the Chihayafuru team formed with the little Taichi, Arata and Chihaya left me with a feeling of nostalgia.
Chihaya and Taichi attend the Fujisaki school training camp where they participate in the hard and exhausting training with which they prepare for Karuta tournaments.
Chihaya is still the same cute karuta maniac as I remembered, poor Yama looked so terrified to see that she would have to play three times against Chihaya, but in the end Yama beat Chihaya.
In the second round after lunch, Chihaya recovers and gradually win points from Yama, although she ends up losing anyway, but the point is that now Chihaya is faster using her left hand.
In the last game Chihaya suffers from exhaustion and loses concentration, but Sakurazawa sensei takes the time to advise Chihaya in view of the rest of the very surprised students.
In the end Chihaya loses, but Yama gives her advice that lights her way and the fourth game was against Taichi, but Chihaya also loses against her friend.
Chihaya sulking because she lost against Taichi is too adorable, I would like to see a game between them, it would surely be a tense encounter especially if Chihaya used her right hand, she must be anxious.

If I am completely sincere, I feel that nothing has changed, everything is as I remember it, there is a slight improvement, but I like the idea that they respected the quality of art and animation that already existed.
The OP reminded me a lot of the first season and I loved it and obviously my joy to see the fun and charismatic Chihaya makes my day, the same with little Kana who did not have much time on screen, but I was happy to see her to.
Oct 22, 2019 4:06 PM

Jul 2012
oh my god i'm gonna cry one day a week again thanks to this anime

anime of the year is here
Oct 22, 2019 4:13 PM

Sep 2014
If you haven’t watched it with headphones on, do yourself a favor and go back for another listen. When I was suddenly hit near the end by poetry swirling around in surround sound, it was... a little awe-inspiring.
Oct 22, 2019 4:20 PM

Nov 2007
Laurine_Andersen said:
shanimebib said:

And she says that while completely ignoring the question that precedes it.

Maybe I read that scene in a different way? I think she's actually answering. "I don't have a boyfriend but if I don't get better at karuta, I won't even get to sit across him (the boy I like) so I have to work hard)"

It's the continuation of the poem she wrote in the hospital of course.
Coronavirus.
Oct 22, 2019 5:11 PM

Jun 2012
It's finally here!
Damn ngl the first few minutes really made me want to rewatch the 2 seasons!

Can't wait for the double ep broadcast next week!
Oct 22, 2019 5:19 PM

May 2019
Man, the art is super pretty.

Ugh, as a Taichi stan, Chihaya once again managed to frustrate me lol and it's only the first episode! Girl, take some hints!
If you read Eleceed you're automatically my friend.
Oct 22, 2019 5:45 PM

Dec 2014
Damn, feels amazing to have this back. It's been like what? 6 years or so since I've seen this.

Atmosphere is great as always, glad to have all the characters back. Seeing Karuta played again was great, so what can I say? Fantastic way to restart the series and I'm excited to see what's next.
I should probably do a quick read through of the first two seasons since my memory is rusty.
Oct 22, 2019 5:53 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Solid start! Right here’s my AOTS, so glad to see this back honestly ~

It’s amazing how casual and natural this episode felt in relation to the previous seasons despite the long gap. Mad props to MadHouse for this, and the improvement in the animation while retaining the original artstyle is a real treat! Here’s to hoping they’ll manage to retain it through the whole season.

Chihaya is back and is as obsessed as ever but it was pleasing to see some more of her cute side (love talk, that kawaii onigiri eating and pouts in response to Tachi’s victory scenes in particular ), good to see lol. Meanwhile, the other characters have their special charms and quirks in check too so that’s another great feature to see! What really makes this series standout for me is the Character Progressions and we’re already off to a wonderful start in that Department, hyped for what’s to come next!

Also, really glad to see some real focus on Taichi too! I can’t wait for an official match between the two now! Damn, that was some intensive training though I’ve to say. I had a feeling the Fujisaki Coach was a great player in her time but jeez five times runners up is pretty mind blowing. Looks like she’s got the right advices up her sleeves too, Rion will most certainly become one of the most fearsome rival over time. Lol, I find it hilarious how dense she is when it comes to Romance as well though.

No Arata this episode but I’ve a feeling last episode’s final moments assures that he’ll have a bigger role this season. While I’m rooting for Taichi’s ship to sail, I want the three of them to reunite and spend more time together so here’s to hoping we get some more of that.

Can’t wait for more! Next couple of weeks with a couple episodes each is seriously a blessing.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Oct 22, 2019 5:57 PM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
Chihayafuru is back bois. Wataya Arata ftw!

5/5
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
Oct 22, 2019 6:24 PM
Oct 2017
wow. i just rewatched the previous 2 seasons few days ago, now the first episode continues right after it. there's even a refresher on how to play karuta. i can't believe i have to wait for another week. i'm so happy chihayafuru is back. i'm ready for more thrilling games
Oct 22, 2019 6:26 PM
Mar 2015
Good start They gloss over the reason Chihaya ran track in JH No one but Michiru would associate with her because she was a karuta baka and she needed human contract Not sure why they added the scene with Michiru coming to the club As far I can tell Michiru has never played karuta with Chihaya
They did a good job of showing the training camp The love talk was good because it revealed what Chihaya's idea of romance with Arata was The ability to play karuta on his level
We see Chihaya happy with losing to Rion left handed
On he other hand Taichi beating her makes her mad because she did not think he could beat her
Retro said 2 telling things 1 Taichi can beat you 2. Tacihi plays better when Chihaya is not around On the other hand Sakurazawa told Rion that it was Chihaya that gave confidence t to Taichi
Taichi is trying to get Chihaya to notice him by beating her This will get her eyes on him and not Arata
Oct 22, 2019 7:55 PM

Nov 2007
_MushiRock11_ said:
No Arata this episode but I’ve a feeling last episode’s final moments assures that he’ll have a bigger role this season. While I’m rooting for Taichi’s ship to sail, I want the three of them to reunite and spend more time together so here’s to hoping we get some more of that.

Since you are a Taichi fan, you are in for some real treat. Nothing much to say about the thoroughbred that is Arata.

And yes. Rion only gets better. I am glad that you already picked it up just from this episode.

But we will really miss Fujisaki and Hokuou third years during the school tournaments! Sudou-dou-S-senpai in particular. The school tournaments will never be the same without him and the other third years!

landofthekwt said:
As far I can tell Michiru has never played karuta with Chihaya

She did in Chuugakusei-hen but it was not in the circle where they played. She had a crushing defeat and gave up straightaway. I am glad that the story revisited Michiru because we tend to forget that she was Chihaya's mental support when Chihaya was all alone in middle school.
Coronavirus.
Oct 22, 2019 8:20 PM
Aug 2011
Ah Chihayafuru! <3
It has a very special place in my heart because not only is it a good show but also one of the very first anime I watched while it was airing. I didn't even really know what seasonal anime was at the time.
Oct 22, 2019 8:37 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
shanimebib said:
Since you are a Taichi fan, you are in for some real treat. Nothing much to say about the thoroughbred that is Arata.

And yes. Rion only gets better. I am glad that you already picked it up just from this episode.

But we will really miss Fujisaki and Hokuou third years during the school tournaments! Sudou-dou-S-senpai in particular. The school tournaments will never be the same without him and the other third years!

Yeah, I can tell already tell. Taichi’s got incredible talent, nowhere in comparison to the other two but they’re of an exceptional case to begin with, and perseverance for one thing I reckon so I can’t wait to see what achievements he’ll manage to rack up!

Also just to clarify, I’m a fan of both actually but if I had to choose one, it’d be Taichi. I’m completely a-okay with Arata though but Taichi better get some form of happiness in that case and vice-versa but maybe, just maybe, to a micromoleculer-less scale (I don’t even know what I’m on at the moment).

Oh, really? That was just a gut feeling so a fluke from my side lol. I’m looking forward to seeing the rivalry unfold deeper then!

Oh yeah, totally. I really liked Sudo-senpai and his contagious sadism xD. No one else in Hokuou really piqued my interest and similarly no one else from Fujisaki, other than Rion, the Coach, that boob-loving senpai and that senpai suffering from Rion’s oblivious to romance. Got to say, some of those match-ups however were top-notch!

Does the story somehow diverge more into the individual competitions or are there just not enough interesting team battles like in the previous seasons anymore?
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Oct 22, 2019 8:38 PM

Oct 2008
i'm so happy chihayafuru is BACK i've waited like 6 years for this !!!!

also this episode had a greater focus on love which was really nice!! i loved how it made chihaya really think about her love for karuta rather than shift into a real romantic thing bc it's chihaya for god's sake
Oct 22, 2019 8:47 PM

Nov 2007
_MushiRock11_ said:
shanimebib said:

Yeah, I can tell already tell. Taichi’s got incredible talent, nowhere in comparison to the other two but they’re of an exceptional case to begin with, and perseverance for one thing I reckon so I can’t wait to see what achievements he’ll manage to rack up!

Also just to clarify, I’m a fan of both actually but if I had to choose one, it’d be Taichi. I’m completely a-okay with Arata though but Taichi better get some form of happiness in that case and vice-versa but maybe, just maybe, to a micromoleculer-less scale (I don’t even know what I’m on at the moment).

Oh, really? That was just a gut feeling so a fluke from my side lol. I’m looking forward to seeing the rivalry unfold deeper then!

Oh yeah, totally. I really liked Sudo-senpai and his contagious sadism xD. No one else in Hokuou really piqued my interest and similarly no one else from Fujisaki, other than Rion, the Coach, that boob-loving senpai and that senpai suffering from Rion’s oblivious to romance. Got to say, some of those match-ups however were top-notch!

Does the story somehow diverge more into the individual competitions or are there just not enough interesting team battles like in the previous seasons anymore?

Yes. It does. Not spoiling or anything but I guess most of those will take place in season 4 (if season 4 happens that is. As I have said in another thread, there are enough chapters for more than 5 cours of anime. That translates to roughly 63-65 episodes).

Also stay away from the manga discussion threads that are not marked with chapters. They are full of spoilers.

This season will be amazing in many ways because a lot of dynamics will change around the end. So keep your eyes peeled. :)
Coronavirus.
Oct 22, 2019 10:05 PM

Dec 2012
I'M SO INCREDIBLY HAPPY TO HAVE MY BELOVED CHIHAYAFURU BACK I MISSED THIS ANIME SO MUCH!!!

The animation is beautiful as always, the OP pretty nice, I wasn't able to see the ED though idk if it was my video only... Oh there's going to be so much QUALITY to come in this undoubtedly amazing season ~aaaaaaahhhh I'm so excited!
Anime List

↳ click profile for recommendations

✨☆✨

Oct 22, 2019 10:06 PM

Oct 2012
Well that was a nice kick off.... heartwarming! Hey, where is the ending?
Oct 22, 2019 10:23 PM

Jun 2013
oh yes it's finally back
Oct 22, 2019 11:20 PM

Apr 2015
I didn't expect myself to be tHiS hyped for this since I have been waiting for a little over a year (haha) but as soon as I saw Taichi on screen, my heart just- <3 full blown fell for him again! I am not caught up with the manga, but from the author I believe that the manga is supposed to be ending at the end of this year or early next year I believe? Ooof, IDK if 25 episodes will suffice (my memory of the manga is fuzzy, but I'm p sure they held of the animation bc of the fact the manga was ending soon)

TLDR; my memory sucks.

Anyways, I'm so happy to see my faves on screen :) I can't wait to see Taichi's match w/Chihaya!! At this point IDC who Chihaya ends up with (I have theories oc, but-) I just am happy to see the animation return in full force!! The animation has improved so much (those crisp leaves uwu)!! This is a great start to the series, I hope the rating doesn't drop so much haha,,,it's so hard to get ppl to be excited over a "card game" "sports" anime c:

#TEAMTAICHI

Although we part as I leave for Inaba,
where pines grow on the moutain peaks
If I am to hear that you pine for me
I shall come back to you again
Hyakunin Isshu (小倉百人一首):
Poem #16 "Tachiwakare"
©
Oct 22, 2019 11:44 PM

Dec 2018
I'm glad it started with a recap for dolts like me that didn't rewatch the old seasons (although once the flashback party ended I winded glancing back at s2e24-25 on high speed to remember some context)

it was so cool to see these characters back onscreen again! So glad I found this anime through ProZD's anime recommendations video way back!!
Oct 22, 2019 11:50 PM

Jun 2009
I'm so happy this show back.
Can't believe it's been 6 years since 2nd season!
I re-watched previous seasons, and I was glad that this season continued where they left off. I kinda feared it would be more of a re-cap in the first episode. There was some, with addition of a flashback of Chihaya's childhood, but it wasn't as much as I feared.

The graphics and animation are better, but still have the same style as two previous seasons.
Chihaya is as cute as ever.
Oh how I wish I could binge the whole season right now!
I like pancakes.
Oct 23, 2019 2:32 AM

Feb 2011
shanimebib said:
Laurine_Andersen said:

It's the continuation of the poem she wrote in the hospital of course.

OH YES: CHIHAYAFURU IS FINALLY HERE: MY HEART COULDN'T STOP FROM RACING FROM ALL THE EXCITEMENT; I'M SO SO HAPPY TO SEE A THIRD SEASON COME TO LIFE: THANK YOU FOR MAKING THIS HAPPEN IT'S THE BEST ANIME FROM 2019 IN MY BOOK!!!! xD

The girl -love chat was AWESOME: after Chihaya heard those girls talking about the guy they like she thought about Arata,( SO CUTE!!!), I EVEN SHOUTED OUT LOUD HOW SWEET CHIHAYA SAW IN ARATA, IT'S HIM WHO SHE THINKS ABOUT WHEN THE TOPIC OF LOVE APPEARS: this isn't the first time, it also happened in the second season when Sumire told Chihaya is there someone she likes: she thought about Arata, and she even called him right after: those moments aren't coincidences, it carries meaning to our main heroine. I can't wait to see Arata in the next episode ( OH YES I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE HIM AGAIN ON FULL SCREEN, LOL!!!!!!!)

I can't believe I watched it at very late at night ( my job got in the way from watching it earlier), but I'm here.
sweetangieOct 23, 2019 2:37 AM
Oct 23, 2019 2:38 AM

Feb 2019
I like how chihaya remembered arata when asked about boyfriend. Chihaya x Arata ftw.
Oct 23, 2019 4:35 AM
Dec 2018
I want to ask, is this a romance anime?
Oct 23, 2019 4:45 AM

Jan 2016
Ugh I'm more nervous than anything knowing what's coming up this season, but it was washed away as soon as the music hit. I've missed this show so much

shanimebib said:
_MushiRock11_ said:

Since when does suffering = in for a real treat? (:
FireFistYKOct 23, 2019 4:52 AM
Oct 23, 2019 4:47 AM

Nov 2007
Muhammad_Alam01 said:
I want to ask, is this a romance anime?

Romance is a subplot but very important to the story.
Coronavirus.
Oct 23, 2019 6:08 AM
May 2017
Yayy! Chihayafuru is back. I'm glad this episode wasn't a full recap & the story actually continued.
Oct 23, 2019 6:39 AM

May 2018
Finally it's back. Miss this show a lot.
Oct 23, 2019 7:03 AM
May 2019
Fun and a emotional episode, Chihaya is adorable as always.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» If you want to continue with the manga after watching

NiQ1 - Feb 21, 2023

19 by NiQ1 »»
Mar 21, 2:01 AM

» Chihayafuru 4

Kaguyachinchin - Nov 21, 2020

5 by Knighthammer619 »»
Mar 17, 9:43 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru 3 Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 24, 2020

148 by tozeos »»
Jan 9, 6:03 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru 3 Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

shanimebib - Jan 14, 2020

126 by realfifi »»
Dec 18, 2023 2:21 PM

Poll: » Chihayafuru 3 Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 17, 2020

185 by chiakimagoto »»
Aug 11, 2023 11:00 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.