3It was OK
9.2%
2Disliked it
2.9%
1Hated it
0.6%
Average 4.4
173 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 28, 2008 1:31 AM

Feb 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
i like that they broke out of the rut they've been in, especially the way they did it. i don't think the bad guy ever expected to encounter that particular problem ;)

i don't know what wakaba sees in that guy, has she already forgotten the way he publicly embarrassed her? does she not mind being slapped around? (they haven't shown it but if he hasn't done it yet then its only a matter of time)
Apr 25, 2009 7:22 AM

Mar 2009
This episode really shocked me I thought Wakaba would live happily ever after with her onion prince. I'm really thrown off whats Saionji doing back.

Aug 29, 2009 1:16 PM

Aug 2008
Awesome. Just awesome. Wakaba is definitely my third favorite after Shiori and Kozue.
Sep 26, 2009 8:51 PM

Mar 2009
WOAH. This one totally threw me for a loop. Saionji, really? I was not expecting that. Kudos to the series for throwing a total curve ball there. I'm sad she didn't go with her Onion Prince, though...
Sep 27, 2009 12:46 PM

Feb 2009
One of the best episodes so far. This series is really picking up the pace now after its slow start!
Jul 1, 2010 1:12 PM

Feb 2009
KonekoAnni said:
WOAH. This one totally threw me for a loop. Saionji, really? I was not expecting that. Kudos to the series for throwing a total curve ball there. I'm sad she didn't go with her Onion Prince, though...

Totally threw me off too.. I was like O_o!? WHAT!?
I also like how the black rose people turned him down
Nov 12, 2010 9:19 AM

Aug 2009
Wow, that threw me off! Great episode!
頭脳は子供、見た目は大人! ƪ(˘⌣˘)ʃ
Dec 11, 2010 11:08 AM

Nov 2010
I laughed when I saw Saionji - of all people, she just had to pick him.
Mar 16, 2011 2:39 PM

Jan 2009
What a twist.

I also like how the Black Rose dude told the onion prince to leave. Series is really starting to get interesting.
Mar 23, 2011 4:29 PM
Jul 2010
Utena's a pimp.
Jul 6, 2011 10:35 PM

Jun 2009
I was kind of expecting Wakaba to not be in love with her onion prince, because this IS Revolutionary Girl Utena we are talking about. I totally wasn't expecting her to go to Saionji though..

It's also interesting that the Black Rose guy turned him down and Utena's good intentions hurt yet another person.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Aug 7, 2011 9:56 AM

Jan 2011
this series, i always not able to guess it right... but i did not believe Wakaba can find happiness so easily

judging from the preview, i think Saonji appears due to Wakaba needs to pull a sword from someone's chest to duel Utena...
Aug 16, 2011 11:50 AM

Nov 2010
insan3soldiern said:
I was kind of expecting Wakaba to not be in love with her onion prince, because this IS Revolutionary Girl Utena we are talking about. I totally wasn't expecting her to go to Saionji though..

It's also interesting that the Black Rose guy turned him down and Utena's good intentions hurt yet another person.

This.

Was a nice episode all in all, though, I like that it didn't end with another duel.
Sep 13, 2011 6:21 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
SO the Black Rose don't just take anyone. I guess he was to pure of heart to be accepted. He he. Nice twist.

Saonji back. What's that about?! I guess Touga will inevitably return too.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jan 1, 2012 12:26 AM

Jul 2011
Wait, so Wakaba doesn't like her "onion prince"? It seemed like she really liked him throughout the episode until the end where she chooses some dick who completely embarrassed her. Also, I wonder what was meant by, "you are truly a good person".
May 30, 2012 9:41 AM

Dec 2009
This episode definitely felt different. I didn't like the Onion prince heh, but this episode was good.
Jul 8, 2012 2:44 PM

Jan 2010
Lmao I thought that the point of the Black Rose was to corrupt people, but apparently you still have to have a seed of corruption for that to occur haha. I was getting really nervous when I didn't hear "Deeper, go deeper"
Sep 6, 2012 11:15 AM

Apr 2012
That was a nice little twist there. The moment in which the Onion Prince guy realizes that he isn't who Wakaba is talking about and the romantic music cuts off was well done.

Also, when I realized in the interview scene that the room was starting to go up instead of down I figured that it had to turn out differently. This show is especially fun to watch when it plays with your expectations by breaking away from its formula.
Sep 14, 2012 9:40 PM

Mar 2012
I had a hunch that Wakaba's prince was Saionji, though I was still genuinely surprised when he popped up. Poor Onion Prince. :(

I love that the Black Rose turned him down. It's a nice twist to realize that they can't take just anyone.
Dec 1, 2012 5:43 PM
Aug 2007
Ahh, man.... halfway through that little segment with Onion Prince and Wakaba I could tell that she was thinking of someone else. I didn't expect that someone else to be Saionji, and I was shocked. But then I remembered that she sent him a love letter in the beginning of the series so it sort of made sense, even though I didn't expect it at all...
Feb 7, 2013 8:44 AM

Oct 2011
Much better episode than the last three, or five, whatever. Looking forward to what they do next.
Feb 15, 2013 11:44 PM

Aug 2007
Saionji? Really?
I'm pretty good at predicting things that are about to happen in most movies/books/series, but I honestly did not foresee that o.o

Feb 17, 2013 5:43 PM

Jan 2012
Well. Epic Fail.

Yea-yea... This is goddamn unconventional development, but I'm still not impressed at all. I expected much more from the Glorious Win of 90th™. And If I don't find something interesting till the end of series, I'll be disappointed.
Dixi.
TsundoraFeb 17, 2013 6:06 PM
Mar 30, 2013 1:55 PM
Jan 2012
I thought Wakaba really liked Tatsuya, then I realized that she is always around Utena and so I thought Utena was her prince... Saionji never crossed my mind, I completely forgot he even existed.

I liked the twist in the end, Tatsuya is a good person and is not suited to wear that black rose, but this also means that Kozue and the others aren't good people.
May 27, 2013 5:06 AM

Jun 2010
Surprisingly good performance by Tatsuya in the confession elevator, especially since we'll probably never see that character again. Good job, voice actor.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 23, 2013 12:42 PM

Nov 2010
Hahahah XD that ending was so rosy... TOO rosy. She hadn't even 'rejected' him yet and I was already wondering who her real prince would be. xD First I thought Utena.. or maybe still Saionji? The prince in her fantasy seemed tall.. Maybe a new flame- Oh god no AKIO??? I was relieved to see Saionji. XD Although he's a b!tch with all the slapping going on, compared to Akio he's innocent with his cute little exchange diary. XDD Ofcourse Wakaba deserves better.

And.. Whatthehell, Mikage? Being in love and wanting to monopolize someone (I believe that's almost always the case in relationships) is too PURE hearted but wanting to become an adult but not knowing how isn't (Tsuwabuki)? XD
Aug 23, 2014 7:21 AM

Aug 2008
Raitei said:
Ahh, man.... halfway through that little segment with Onion Prince and Wakaba I could tell that she was thinking of someone else.

Plus, knowing this is Ikuhara's stuff, I could really see the troll. I wished so badly that Wakaba and Onion Prince to be together though, he's way better than Saionji,

And I also knew Saionji is bound to reappear simply because only the past duelist's sword can be used in the fight.
Oct 10, 2014 9:46 PM
▬▬ι═══════ﺤ

Feb 2012
Poor Onion Prince. Not even the Black Rose group wanted him.

As for Saionji at the end. This.. won't bode well.
"Be the change you wish to see in the world." ⛩️

Dec 15, 2014 12:38 PM

Sep 2014
Nice twist there. I was wondering whose sword Tatsuya would have to pull to duel. I was really surprised pink haired guy told him to leave because he was too good of a person. Poor Tatsuya...and when Wakaba said she was going to see her prince, I thought it was going to be Utena. But Saionji? Shit's about to go down!
Jan 10, 2015 3:18 PM

Jul 2014
WTF... that ending. I didn't expect that at all lol. Seriously Wakaba.
Sep 19, 2015 8:25 PM

Jul 2014
Looks like Tatsuya has just crossed over into: The Friend Zone.

4/5
Nov 23, 2015 3:44 AM

Aug 2013
Kept laughing my ass off every time Utena taunted Wakaba, by sipping her tea.

Disappointed in Wakaba, she cuckolded him so quick.
Feb 16, 2016 2:11 PM

Aug 2014
Saionji?

Well Wakaba certainly trolled the fuck out of me xD
KashKetchumFeb 16, 2016 2:14 PM
Apr 4, 2016 11:29 AM
Aug 2015
That sure was a twist, good way to get out of the repetitive plot that was used for the past, what, five or so episodes?

Wakaba really does not have good taste in men, just sayin'.
Jul 31, 2016 6:23 PM

Sep 2012
When they were talking under the tree, I thought to myself "I'm sure the show won't go down that way. There'll be a twist soon enough". And BAM! ...But Saionji, really? Now that I didn't expect at all.

Now we're sure why people go to that room, they're seeking counsel. But the Onion Prince was too pure and selfless to receive the black rose, lol.
Sep 28, 2016 9:46 AM
Dec 2015
I was so certain that Wakaba was going to turn Onion down for Utena, but her prince is the show's douche? What even?
Also I already knew something was up with the Black Rose segment when the butterfly on the wall did not become a caterpillar, cocoon, or leaf. I just wasn't expecting this guy made out of salt and jealousy to be called pure of heart.
This episode was great, it subverted so many expectations.
Oct 2, 2016 6:03 PM

Jul 2015
My jaw DROPPED harder than an atomic bomb when they said the onion prince was too pure for the black rose
Kind of comforting but also kind of disturbing
Also I spit out my water when I saw seionji the snake resurface ew
Nov 30, 2016 3:14 PM

Sep 2016
It was surprising that they don't just take everyone who shows up. Apparently you can't be a totally good person and use the black rose.

Also, Saionji? What the fuck?
May 26, 2017 1:23 AM
Ceasefire NOW

Aug 2009
xD Oh gosh 2 plot twists in one episode. That's why it's worth watching repetitive scenes cuz you really get a kick at how one scene changes.

Btw, anyone know if there's a place where the shadow puppet's dialogues are analyzed for each episode?
Jun 1, 2017 11:24 PM

Nov 2011
Wow. I liked the last episode, but this was a really good one and definitely better than the last one.

I spent most of the episode thinking how it was the first non-dueling episode that is actually good, but then we find out this is the first part of a two-parter and even more of a return to the format in the first arc. I'm really glad to see that. This show is at its best when its developing its cast.

The ending was deliciously twisty. For most of the episode I was thinking that Wakaba and Tatsuya really liked each other and that their relationship was cute, but then when the confession scene came and Tatsuya wasn't blunt I started suspecting the show was trolling us-- and it was. I wasn't for sure who Wakaba's "prince" was at the time of Tatsuya's indirect rejection though.

Tatsuya going to the Mikage Group floored me though because, again, I thought it was a more standalone episode (like the humor ones) and there wasn't enough time left for a duel anyway. That made me think it would be a two-part episode, but then it turns out the elevator started going back up and Tatsuya was too pure for the Black Rose, to my amusement.

Going back to Wakaba, I completely forgot about her love letter to Saionji in the first episode and how she dreamed of dancing with him. I definitely didn't expect him to be the "prince" she was going to. Then the preview shows that it actually is a two-part episode, but it was setting up someone other than Tatsuya to be the duelist.

Great stuff.

Definitely looking forward to the next episode.
Aug 11, 2017 2:46 PM

Apr 2015
Aww...I feel bad for the onion prince. He and Wakaba deserve each other. And then to even have the magic seminar reject you? That's gotta be rough.

Saionji is not your prince, Wakaba! No one with green hair should be trusted!
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Aug 14, 2017 1:04 PM
Aug 2014
Think they should have gone with the Wakaba and Tatsuya just so I know there is a chance for a "happy" ending, because I didn't even think for a second that they'd end up together especially after Utena started meddling again.

First time I noticed Souji Mikage has a ring too and not a black one, him not accepting Tatsuya was surprising.
Sep 8, 2017 8:04 AM

Jun 2013
The episode was fun because of the twists but I don't really see the point of it was, at the end of the day. Wakaba seeking out her crush who humiliated her in the very first episode doesn't seem all that interesting to me.

Well, the fact that Tatsuya was rejected is kind of curious, but I don't really see what makes him an especially nice person. The others applied for selfish reasons, but so did Tatsuya, even if he technically wanted to "save" Wakaba from the mysterious Other Guy. I mean, he had no way to know that it would be Saionji; he simply assumed that Wakaba couldn't take care of herself, which isn't all that nice, is it. And Tsuwabuki was just a misguided but innocent kid before his transformation, is he really worse than Tatsuya? Well, it wouldn't be surprising if Mikage had a different definition of "nice" than I do.
LeeTailorSep 8, 2017 9:32 AM
Oct 26, 2017 11:52 PM

Jun 2017
I believe that the elevator rejection, that they need people with a powerful hatred underlying their regular negative feelings. Presumably the implication is that Tatsuya didn't have a desire for revenge. Remember that even Tsuwabuki's childish desire to grow up quicker had him ranting about wanting to destroy the world at one point.
Jan 7, 2018 2:09 PM

Jan 2017
MAN I FEEL SO SAD FOR THE ONION PRINCE.

AND THAT ENDING!?!?!?!?

Saionji my man, what are you plotting this time? lol
SEIZON SENRYAKU: Hungry 100% of the time.
Vzla-IT

Mar 9, 2018 3:37 AM

Jul 2016
Wait, what?! Saionji is back apparently.

And that preview, Wakaba is going to duel Utena.

HYPE
Around the gif~
"It's a big mistake to think you're the only one who can turn into a car"
- Shiori Takatsuki
Jan 6, 2019 12:29 PM

May 2010
Tatsuya's too pure for this series apparently, lol. Did not see that ending coming!
May 19, 2019 4:19 AM

Aug 2017
Wakaba "returning home"? Is she meeting with Saionji outside of the academy in his apartment or something? o.O
Apr 10, 2020 10:47 AM

Sep 2014
I thought this was too cheesy to be true and guess what I was right. Onion Prince got blueballed hard.

Poor guy isnt even "good" enough to be corrupted lmao

judging by the PV Wakaba will finally duel Utena as well, expected this to happen this episode
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Jul 23, 2020 1:40 AM

Jul 2009
Lol, so basically Wakaba cucked that guy. He wasn't the Onion Prince, but just a childhood friend.

Still, he was acting like a jerk towards Wakaba, though at the end he actually likes her?

He didn't even get to become one of the Dark Roses. Talk about getting denied from all sides XD

WTF, Saionji is bacl :O

Should expect Touga to be back as well??
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Alicia3000 - Apr 25, 2009

53 by LLG »»
Apr 17, 1:18 AM

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Alicia3000 - Apr 25, 2009

59 by Barrou2a »»
Mar 30, 2:09 PM

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 34 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Alicia3000 - May 2, 2009

63 by zaverix »»
Mar 21, 10:36 AM

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Alicia3000 - Apr 8, 2009

77 by Superkitty21 »»
Mar 19, 9:15 PM

» Looking for a good explanation video

LoveYourEyes - Mar 19

3 by 1coolgirl2b »»
Mar 19, 9:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.