Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Kanata no Astra Episode 12 Discussion

Oct 6, 3:44 PM

mobile suits would have made this series a lot more bearable or in the very least watchable. yet they didn't even attempt to utilize any. but that is to be expected from a low budget cashgrab. i'd have given it a pass with 5/10 if there were more mechs present but on 2nd thought it deserves merely one point after all is said and done.

Oct 7, 8:06 AM

@TheDeedsOfMen
A) I couldn't be further from dishonest. Just because i have different answers than you doesn't make me wrong. Everything i say is either completely true, or at the very least is completely internally consistent logic.

B) Everything you described them to saying is denotatively false. If they were more accurate to the meaning of the term than what you describe, then it is YOU who is wrong rather than them.

C) Modern philosophers are obviously using it bad if they are breaking definitions and building paradoxical frameworks. I'm essentially trying to correct a No True Scotsman fallacy. You dismiss what i say in favour of your heralded philosophers with Argumentum ad Verecundiam, reinforcing specific writings and specific things said on the topic as you've read them, instead of discussing the subjects with an indepth understanding of them conceptually.

D) I never said i learned empiricism from the first sentence of wikipedia, i was giving an example (all the dictionaries say the same shit mah dude) to show you that the sources indeed agree with my definition and i am using it correctly. Making assumptions like that of people is a very dangerous habit. Empiricism is empiricism, not what Russel thinks empiricism is (as that would be merely what he thinks of it). And no, it's not trying to summarize many theories in a concise form, it's literally saying what empiricism means regardless of specific theories. You're assuming i have to read every last detail on a subject to understand it, which is completely false. This implies that every principle is merely the sum of it's parts, which is like saying you can't know the sky is blue without knowing about the mathematics and nuances of Rayleigh Scattering. Details are irrelevant if you do not have the big picture. Empiricism is empiricism and has one definition, It would be impossible to talk about anything if definitions were not constant (as should be relatively apparent from our conversation). Various theories are interpretations or investigations of the concept; the meaning is NOT a culmination of those theories.
Modified by GenesisAria, Oct 7, 8:20 AM
❀桜舞う空~                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.

Oct 7, 10:55 AM

GenesisAria said:
It would be impossible to talk about anything if definitions were not constant (as should be relatively apparent from our conversation).
People can swap definitions even mid-conversation and still understand each other. Piece of cake. They simply keep track of which is which. If you can't do it, the problem must be on your end.

GenesisAria said:
A) I couldn't be further from dishonest. Just because i have different answers than you doesn't make me wrong. Everything i say is either completely true, or at the very least is completely internally consistent logic.
For a few laughs, let's recall a few things you wrote in the other thread:

On the topic of reading philosophical texts:
GenesisAria said:
Read some ancient texts, like Pythagoras, neoplatonic thought, ancient writings of india, study the metaphysics of taoism... Your brain will explode as all this jumbled mess of arbitrary empiricism and metaphysical abstraction will burst into clarity and all make sense as the true state of unified existence. It's truly sad how little understanding gets through anymore, as everyone digs too deep down their self-affirming rabbit holes, building an unrounded narrow-sighted limited comprehension of the nature of things.

Now you suddenly went with:
GenesisAria said:
Knowing the individuals and their particular terms is not philosophy, it's a study of history with a "philosophy" subject filter. Epistemology (empirical knowledge) has nothing on wisdom or understanding. It's like trying to compare arbitrary trivia factoid accumulation with intelligent reasoning.

GenesisAria said:
What i talk about is ACTUAL philosophy, philo-sophia, being a philosopher, a truth seeker, not the study of philosophical texts and converse.

So your idea of doing proper philosophy is reading philosophical texts because that is how brains explode into true wisdom or whatever. But when somebody asks you whether you have read particular philosophical texts, it suddenly does not matter at all, even though you have already called the authors of those texts ignorant (not by name, of course, because you've never heard of them). How convenient.

On the topic of dictionary definitions:
GenesisAria said:
I should note that theos doesn't technically mean god necessarily, it's a reference to the absolute nature of the metaphysical. Rejection or denial of the metaphysical using physical terms as "proof" is materialism. The only true wisdom is in understanding the larger picture - neither theism, nor atheism, nor agnosticism; understanding physical and metaphysical as 2 sides of the same coin.

TheDeedsOfMen said:
In “understanding physical and metaphysical as 2 sides of the same coin,” a less confusing word would be “non-physical” or “immaterial.” Metaphysics studies existence, so physical substance falls under metaphysical study too.

GenesisAria said:
Not exactly. Physics and metaphysics are 2 branches of natural philosophy. Natural philosophy is the holistic study of every aspect of reality, existence, etc, the ontological mecca of thought. Metaphysics is useless without physics, as physics is useless without metaphysics. Physics uses metaphysical concepts to define the phenomenal (though this is almost never understood), and metaphysics uses physical terms to convey the noumenal.

"definition check"
Physics - study of empirical material phenomenon
Metaphysics - study of logical immaterial noumenon
Noumenon - the metaphysical parallel to phenomenon, a non-physical pattern or form which reflects a phenomenon that can be known through retroductive logic
Phenomenon - physical manifestation of a noumenon which can be empirically identified

TheDeedsOfMen said:
The presence of different definitions of words doesn't necessarily mean that the definitions have been distorted. It is just language being rich in definitions.

GenesisAria said:
That only applies to connotation,. not denotation. What the etymology or the Oxford dictionary says the word means, is what it means, period, end of story. There is no other definitions that are denotatively correct.

TheDeedsOfMen said:
Taking the Oxford dictionary so seriously? Really? That is the biggest, most obvious dogmatism in the whole thread! It is only a book written by a bunch of people. Why assume that it holds some profound truth on “correct” or “incorrect” definitions? Yeah, I guess we have a philosophical difference there.

Besides, what edition are you using? For instance, a simple search yields the following:

https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/english/metaphysical
metaphysical: "connected with the branch of philosophy that deals with the nature of existence, truth and knowledge"

Hey, it's the definition I was using earlier. Go, me.

GenesisAria said:
The etymology is more relevant than the Oxford, and Oxford didn't refute what i said, it was far less specific.

TheDeedsOfMen said:
Hey, I am not the person who claimed that the Oxford dictionary holds profound truths.

And now:
GenesisAria said:
D) I never said i learned empiricism from the first sentence of wikipedia, i was giving an example (all the dictionaries say the same shit mah dude) to show you that the sources indeed agree with my definition and i am using it correctly. Making assumptions like that of people is a very dangerous habit. ... Details are irrelevant if you do not have the big picture. Empiricism is empiricism and has one definition,

If I cite a dictionary definition, you say "Oh no, the dictionary isn't specific enough!"
If I call your dictionary definition vague, you suddenly say that it is perfectly accurate simply because it is in the dictionary.

It is as though you appeal to any principle that you can come up with on the spot regardless of consistency.

Again, what a joke. That is how intellectually dishonest people operate.
Modified by TheDeedsOfMen, Oct 7, 11:25 AM

Oct 7, 2:16 PM

@TheDeedsOfMen
Wellp, you didn't understand a word of what i said, and strawmanned it to hell and back. Whatever, enjoy your life of distorting every argument to your internalized views.

Nothing i said contradicts anything else i said if you actually tried to understand what i was saying instead of slapping your impressions and implications onto it. I even gave you multiple avenues of approach; as well as caveats of caution you should have not to take dictionary and encyclopedia definitions as prescriptive but descriptive.
❀桜舞う空~                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.

Oct 7, 4:35 PM

sammyk124 said:
Zack and Quitterie get married, so do Aries and Kanata, Ulgar becomes a journalist, Yunhua becomes a famous singer, Charce becomes king, Kanata and Zack get to pilot the ship Kanata bought back from a museum through the selling of his hit novel, and everyone just lives happily ever after. As cliche and cheesy as it sounds, I love that we got an ending like this. Having the show end on bad terms would've ruined the whole show. But this finale made it seem like we truly embarked on a 12-week journey with these kids, witnessing them grow closer and overcome the hardships they !

Judging by the their attitude for “where are they now?”, Luca’s whole goal was to turn into a stereotypical otokonoko and join the “female” comedy with the rest of the female part of the cast. I understand that the authors needed to emphasize his acceptance of his androgyny, but it looked too poorly written. Especially when the less deep Ulgar received his real reward.

AyumiVk said:
I'm just sad they hinted at Funi having a crush on Ulgar, i mean, him and Luca are the best ship, why do you do this to me,,,,

She really has a crush on him, like Luca. I think the authors intentionally left this ambiguous so as not to cross the border of shonen with LGBTQ romance.

@TheDeedsOfMen Don’t even try, man. Believe me, I know what I'm talking about. If a person doesn't consider it shameful to refer to his own "victory" and the rightness of the dispute, then this is hopeless.
Modified by RobertBobert, Oct 7, 4:42 PM
Level of my english is still too poor, so ask not particularly angry because of my terrible grammar.

Oct 7, 9:11 PM

RobertBobert said:
@TheDeedsOfMen Don’t even try, man. Believe me, I know what I'm talking about. If a person doesn't consider it shameful to refer to his own "victory" and the rightness of the dispute, then this is hopeless.
You are not wrong, but it is not like I thought convincing him was possible in the first place. I felt like having some laughs at the inconsistencies and the opinionated "facts." That's all.

Oct 8, 5:34 PM

TheDeedsOfMen said:
RobertBobert said:
You are not wrong, but it is not like I thought convincing him was possible in the first place. I felt like having some laughs at the inconsistencies and the opinionated "facts." That's all.

I won’t lie, I don’t understand your discussion. At the same time, I can (I think that) understand you, since my personal experience in discussions with this person was pretty bad. I just don't understand people who make personal any disagreement with them.
Level of my english is still too poor, so ask not particularly angry because of my terrible grammar.

Oct 10, 9:26 AM

Over 12 episodes, this show went from The Weeb Breakfast Club in Space to Made in Abyss in Space to Danganronpa in Space to Weeb 1984 in Space... throw some Cast Away in Space in there too for good measure.

The conveniences are contrived and nonsensical to the very end... we're supposed to believe the government responsible for mass public manipulation, 1984 style, responsible for 100 years of mock history just cave into a bunch of highschoolers' demands when real governments today assassinate people for being at risk of leaking government info, meanwhile folks like Edward Snowden and Julian Assange exist, and even I can understand the deaths of a few people at risk of destroying world peace is likely the preferable option. The entire narrative is blanketed in unrealistically thick optimism, and if the world isn't like that today, it sure as fuck ain't going to be like that in the sci-fi future.

Nonetheless, as long as I don't overthink things and just take it for what it is, this was a hell of a show and I was straight up giddy during the epilogue.

Hensuki is still my favorite anime of the season though.

Oct 10, 12:06 PM

What an amazing ending! Everything thankfully went great for the Astra's crew, and we even got to see them after they got a bit older. Now, Kanata actually got to go back into space, and he has a fancy prosthetic arm.

Oct 10, 1:57 PM

First half of this anime was medicore and boring but second...... was amazing. Plot twists were really strong and ending was good.

5/5
8/10

Animation and art were imo medicore but music WAS VERY GOOD.

Oct 10, 2:58 PM
After 12 episodes, Astra Lost in Space comes to an end. This episode was amazing, and I had fun watching it. There's a lot of payoff, character arcs come to a close and overall, the outcome is pretty positive. I was surprised that the show found a way to bring the many storylines it had started to a close, especially with the mysterious histories of Earth and Astra and the conspiracy plot surrounding the team's creators. I admit I found some of the moments a bit too saccharine and the epilogue brought back memories of the epilogue from Harry Potter, but on the whole, the ending was pretty satisfying. Astra Lost in Space was one of the finest anime I've ever watched and a serious contender for anime of the year. I really hope we get more series like this in future.

Yesterday, 10:08 AM

I'm surprised that they got the perfect happy ending. Most anime doesn't get that.

Overall I loved watching the show and it's going on my Blu-ray shelf.

8/10

Yesterday, 11:48 AM

Nice last episode, I'm glad they were able to tie up all the loose ends.

I actually didn't check how long the episode was before watching it, so I didn't know it was fifty minutes long. About halfway through I started panicking, thinking the episode was going to end any second on a cliffhanger and there'd have to be second season just about them coming home. I also kept thinking the episode was over when it wasn't. Seriously, the finale had about as many endings as Return of the King :)

Yesterday, 7:19 PM

Aye.. Yeah
What a wonderful rollercoaster of great journey..

Finally they deserved what they really deserved as human being, good grief around those bad adults in Astra, there are still good people exists. It was very happy and soothing moments when they take photo group and joined hands together.

I liked the timeskip + conclusion, the "ship" sailed perfectly, KanataxAries & Zack&Quetierre ( that funny thing when Kanata propose to Aries and asks Charce for is hands and blessings in their marriage because charce supposed to be Aries "origin" Dad's Clone's XD). Every member of the team also finally achieved what they really want and dreaming of. too bad there no marriage moments for those "ships" XD.

Usually i didn't really into space genre animanga, but i really curious about this one since the author was the same as infamous Sket Dance, Shinohara-Sensei. I already sense something different and unusual yet a "hidden gem", and yeah as i suspected i getting hooked to it just after watching 1st episode.

The OP was good, but the ED was my fav, one of the best ED this season. I loved how beautiful the world building was, the secenery of every planet was really beautiful from their living things to non-living things. the proportion of quite diverse genre in this was also astoishingly great i thought. The "Sket Dance" vibe of light comedy wrapped around great Mystery, Adventure, and great character development with great friendship elements is just perfectly fitted my tastes. the portion of each elements were combined perfectly.

Before talking about how great, lot of twists it gave. one of great points of this that really blown me up is the strong bond and friendship that it elaborated between every member of the class, from a strangely unknown person into unseparatable family and "Kanata" had a great role unifying their difference.

The mystery was hooked me up, made me keep expecting and predicting something that end up got twisted by the story itself, althought most of my expectation and prediction turn out to be wrong and got twisted by it wonderful plot twists, that made me even more hooked to this. I loved how they added another mystery on top of unifinished mystery that end out revealed altogether but their wonderful twists XD. I thought, I understand that there are some plothole or flaws in this one, well it quite hard to maintain good pace and story from around 49 chapters Manga to 12 episodes adaptation (even with 1-hour special on 1st and final episodes). Still the greatness that gave cover up the flaws in it i thought (well, i personally didn't think any flaws in it tho, i'm just a simple person when i liked something i won't thinking about their/it flaws too much).

I loved the Strong Friendship and Bonds, Beautiful scenery and world building, Great plot twists that almost bamboozled my head LOL,Beautiful Storytelling, and wonderful story that it gave (and as romance genre person, thank to let KanataxAries and ZackxQuiterrie "ships" sailed perfectly at the end XD).

Thanks Shinohara-Sensei for another masterpiece that he created( i only knew Sket Dance tho XD), seems i gonna read the manga later. Absolute 10/10 for me :D.

Today, 5:15 AM

A nice ending.. I am really glad the pink haired girl is not the culprit this time lol, she is just a normal nice girl ...

Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]