Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Aug 28, 2019 5:56 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Yup, this episode has its revelation and details regarding what the characters had suspected. Hell, I think it's rather clever how the pieces of the mystery came together up to this point.

DNA really places an important role especially in science.
Aug 28, 2019 6:38 AM
Jan 2017
I have been waiting for this episode for a while, and they did it perfectly.

All that is left is the last few loose ends and I have a high hope they will finish it up strong.
Aug 28, 2019 6:51 AM

Aug 2013
So they were all clones to begin with.

That ending surprised me. They were from another planet that isn't Earth, called Astra.

Aug 28, 2019 7:12 AM

Nov 2016
Well, this was one hell of an interesting episode. Atmosphere was pretty good too. The truth is more messed up than expected and it shines new light on all the flashbacks with the "parents". Especially the one with Kanata and his dad is mean imo.

And more twists at the end, even tho it wasn't that surprising.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Aug 28, 2019 7:12 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Okay the clone part was not that difficult to see coming by now but... the ending reveal was really out of left field

Did they really never specifically say the word Earth before? It's not really something I've tried to pay attention to but if not that's actually a pretty cool and subtle twist. Though I'm not sure what kind of overall relevance it'll actually have other than Polina being screwed over in the process
Aug 28, 2019 7:14 AM
Apr 2019
I actually can't believe how insane this story has gotten with all of them being clones for their parents and then the ending that they aren't from Earth. Loving this series so far.
Aug 28, 2019 7:15 AM
Sep 2015
Polina you're wrong, Earth is wherever Kanata lives. You wouldn't find a single guy like him in origianl Earth.

Also the Aries/Charce/Seira background is not fully revealed yet, so prepare for another twist.

But my version of twist would be, due to time dilation, when Polina go back to her original Earth it's already year 5740, human civilization revert back to stone age, and she meet Dr. Stone.
Aug 28, 2019 7:23 AM

Oct 2017
Can't believe they r from another planet and also the clone part was mind blowing too. The fact that they r not from earth really was a great twist.
MegamiRemAug 28, 2019 7:46 AM
Aug 28, 2019 7:28 AM

Oct 2009
WHAT EVEN IS THIS ANIME!?

...ahem. Sorry. With certain others in this same season, I think it's rather difficult to stand out and get noticed, but this one is seriously the underdog of the season. The fact that they can twist the plot several times with such revelations, and having details - well, not really hidden, just never really specified, only to be used in a totally unexpected way... Eh. Absolutely great. Characterisation is also awesome, especially with Kanata being the team mom. The wedding bit feels a little silly, but fits the overall environment so I guess it's ok too. And still we don't know everything!

And you know, in all this, with the insane and interesting plot twists, amidst some trivial scenes and regular doses of silliness, with all the adventure and suspense - they even manage to create and upkeep the school camp atmosphere. Personally, at least, it really hit home not just once or twice, this time with Aries's camp log: I was quite literally transported back to actual camps I've been to, kids from the entire school, some I didn't even know, all so different personalities and not always getting along0, but everyone sharing the same experiences, and in the end being one communiy. It really is astoundingly accurate, if a little rose-tinted.
Aug 28, 2019 7:32 AM

Aug 2018
HaXXspetten said:
Did they really never specifically say the word Earth before? It's not really something I've tried to pay attention to but if not that's actually a pretty cool and subtle twist.

Agreed. During the establishing shot of "Earth" before the parents' scene I remember thinking "The continents don't look right" but I just chalked it up to anime laziness about geography. Looks like there was more to it than that!

The clone reveal has been obvious for some time, but it was handled very well. And Zack's poker face steals the episode again...

Hell of a cliffhanger.

8/10 this week.
Set SCE to AUX
Aug 28, 2019 7:37 AM

Dec 2014
Great episode this week.

I guess the reveal of all of them being clones was easy to see coming after the previous episode.
However, I love that the kids were able to overcome their shock and continue on with their positive mood. Very uplifting. :)

Zack being a real man. XD

I had a thought that maybe all of the kids were from a different planet cause of Paulina's reaction last week about no one having known what's coming but I later dismissed it. It's interesting that the kids are not actually from Earth but from a different planet called Astra. I'm also curious if they never actually mentioned Earth all through the series, never payed too much attention to it.

Looking forward to next week, one more planet to go before Astra.
Aug 28, 2019 7:45 AM

Sep 2017
Didn't see that twist coming. I'm looking forward to the next episode.
Aug 28, 2019 7:45 AM
Jul 2018
The only thing that isn't making sense to me is any possibility that Aries and Seira are one in the same, because that would mean Seira is probably a clone as well and her and Aries were made at the same time, that's the only explanation I can see for how she and Charce are around the same age.

I hope that's like the last real big thing to be explained. Great episode.
Aug 28, 2019 8:04 AM

Apr 2016
OMG What is with this anime? Is getting better and better every single episode. Is slowly turning into a masterpiece

my score just went to 9/10

Aug 28, 2019 8:17 AM

Aug 2018
joshua10red said:

Yep; after languishing around a 5-6/10 a few weeks ago, it's jumped to an 8 for me.

The plot is coming together and the episodes are being handled with a surprising amount of nuance and deftness. They're turning from what I thought were throwaways to episodes I want to rewatch, a real sign things are turning around.
Set SCE to AUX
Aug 28, 2019 8:27 AM
Apr 2014
Can someone explain this to me.

Given that Quitterie and Funicia have identical DNA. I'd assume that the natural conclusion would be that Funicia is Quitterie's clone. But how did they jump to the idea that they are all clones of their parents? Unless I'm missing something, that is quite a wild guess too far for them to believe that easily.
Aug 28, 2019 8:29 AM

Jul 2012
Okay, what the actual fuck. From the first episode I knew that they were clones, but I was sure that was the biggest and last twist of the series. The end of this episode has blown my mind so hard I actually started skipping around my room.

Simply amazing.
Awesome signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 28, 2019 8:34 AM
Aug 2018
Bazalia said:

Given that Quitterie and Funicia have identical DNA. I'd assume that the natural conclusion would be that Funicia is Quitterie's clone. But how did they jump to the idea that they are all clones of their parents? Unless I'm missing something, that is quite a wild guess too far for them to believe that easily.

I think they left out the actual DNA checking in the anime. I remember them at least doing check on Yunhua and Zack after the Quitterie and Funi results came in.
Aug 28, 2019 8:40 AM
Apr 2014
bineet11 said:
Bazalia said:

I think they left out the actual DNA checking in the anime. I remember them at least doing check on Yunhua and Zack after the Quitterie and Funi results came in.

Their DNAs should be compared to their parents not among themselves. So even knowing Yunhua and Zack's DNAs I don't see how that helps support their theory.
Aug 28, 2019 8:47 AM
Aug 2018
Bazalia said:
bineet11 said:

Their DNAs should be compared to their parents not among themselves. So even knowing Yunhua and Zack's DNAs I don't see how that helps support their theory.

I forgot to mention this before but it's shown in the manga that Yunhua had her mother's toothbrush and Zack had his father's ashtray and that's how they were able to get their parent's DNA samples
Aug 28, 2019 8:48 AM

Aug 2018
Bazalia said:

It could be there are genetic markers in cloned DNA strands that reveal its cloned nature, even without comparing it between individuals.

Beyond that, it's entirely possible the crew followed the same thought process as the audience; it's not like it was a super shocking reveal. Most of us had guessed it by this point.
Set SCE to AUX
Aug 28, 2019 8:48 AM

Dec 2017
OH BOY all those happenings!
Aug 28, 2019 8:56 AM

Dec 2015
"Report to the police and get those originals into prison"

Yeah, it sure would be easy...

And I knew it! Something must be wrong with their home planet (since last episode), especially when Polina mentioned her team mission of "finding new habitable planet" and her reaction when she found out the current year.

Really good episode nonetheless.
Aug 28, 2019 8:58 AM

Jul 2012
I need someone who is familiar with source material on this one (some not yet known info, don't open if you don't want to spoil yourself):

Awesome signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 28, 2019 9:05 AM

Feb 2011
Aries' reaction to the engagement announcement was hilarious.
Aug 28, 2019 9:13 AM
Jan 2018
holY FRICKING SHIT !1111
Aug 28, 2019 9:15 AM
Apr 2019
I was not expecting the ending though I found it odd they never spoke the name earth only home, I thought it was because of sentimentality for their home but it was something else entirely. Also they never showed the name of the characters' home planet on the route decided to get home when all other planets names were shown and spoken. Episode 9 was pretty intriguing, how this show doesn't get a higher rating is beyond me.
Aug 28, 2019 9:19 AM

Aug 2018
A really mindblowing episode. I had time to prepare for the revelation about the fact they're all clones but this ending... truly blowing up the "floor" we were standing on.

What's crazy is that Polina came from Earth and was lost 12 years ago. Which would mean this Astra planet that is a reproduction of Earth was either built or terraformed. But then it leaves me with a lot of theories in mind... this anime sure has some very strong plot twist.
Aug 28, 2019 9:22 AM

Jul 2017
Damn what an episode so much stuff went on and that marriage announcement at the end was adorable, Zack's poker face too strong

But their plan of trying to get the parent's arrested seems quite a far stretch for it to be as simple as they think it's gonna be

And that plot twist about the earth, wow that was honestly not expected
Aug 28, 2019 9:23 AM

Mar 2018
I knew it! They were all clones! Also nice to see how everyone is actually trying to deal with it. I so love this anime, it's so refreshing and the story is coming together, the sound, the seriousness and funny stuff... Really enjoying this.

The last part was a surprise though... Polina came from Earth and sure, the planet now is called Astra... Never thought about it even though I knew it was Planet Astra... Missed that one completely, lol.

☆  PlayStation: KoitoTV
☆  Discord: Koito
☆  Twitch Koito
☆  @Koito91
Aug 28, 2019 9:24 AM
Anime Cat

Aug 2017
The fact that they are except Paulina is not from Earth is the most unexpected plot twist I've seen . I love this . I love anti-mainstream plot. Earthling plot is too generic already
Aug 28, 2019 9:32 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Damn, this was some twist and turn episode!

I'd a feeling it'd be something along the lines of 'Cloning' after seeing the short backstory of Kanata and his father, and yikes it really was! I'm really curious as to how exactly they're 'Clones' though, hoping for an explanation on this. But, that aside, it was cool to see how Kanata rose up to put the thought aside and come up with a definite goal to arrest the hosts (and that seems quite .. hmm yeah - difficult). God, seeing those heartless parents though. Curious to know the truth about Aries though, is her mother all along really a step-mother?

Moving on, seeing Kanata checking up on the others was really nice of him, what a reliable and strong leader. But that little segment of the unexpected 'engagement' was mad hilarious through and through and totally stole the spotlight of the episode for me. God, Aries's reactions in particular were gold. You really can't tell Zack at all, how can one say such romantic lines with a straight face is beyond me xD.

Apparently there's more, however. Planet Astra and no recollection regarding the mysterious 'Earth', what on Earth is all that about? Did Earth get wiped out and civilization changed places in advance. Shouldn't history books include them then?

Who's that traitor from earlier though? It wasn't a mistake, was it?
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Aug 28, 2019 9:47 AM
May 2010
So… Kanata no Astra (Kanata's Astra) is headed to Kanata no Astra (the Astra far beyond)…
This title is almost poetic.
Aug 28, 2019 9:56 AM

Apr 2019
HDVision said:
I need someone who is familiar with source material on this one (some not yet known info, don't open if you don't want to spoil yourself):

thats because
You son of a .. turtle

Aug 28, 2019 10:01 AM

Dec 2014
one big reveal after the other...seems like they weren't from planet earth after all.... hmmm this gave me goosebumps
Aug 28, 2019 10:01 AM

Dec 2014
one big reveal after the other...seems like they weren't from planet earth after all.... hmmm this gave me goosebumps
Aug 28, 2019 10:09 AM

Jan 2012
I thought it was implied from the beginning they weren't from Earth, the clone thing surprised me though and the originals are total PoS.
Aug 28, 2019 10:15 AM

Mar 2018
Damn, it's impressive how much the story changed within the span of a single episode without feeling rushed. Amazing episode
Aug 28, 2019 10:26 AM

Aug 2014
how can one anime end up in a greater plot twist every episode? also if ulgar is a clone, then his brother was most likely a clone as well, I hope they address this issue
On a side note, does anyone know which chapter to start reading from?
RPWPAAug 28, 2019 10:30 AM
"Even if it has good reviews, if I don't like it then it is shit"

-Some random anime character
Aug 28, 2019 10:40 AM

Jul 2012
Nim0174 said:
HDVision said:

thats because

This is like the 3rd time you answer my questions, thank you! Also:

HDVisionAug 28, 2019 10:43 AM
Aug 28, 2019 11:06 AM

Sep 2016
Spaceship said:
joshua10red said:

Yep; after languishing around a 5-6/10 a few weeks ago, it's jumped to an 8 for me.

The plot is coming together and the episodes are being handled with a surprising amount of nuance and deftness. They're turning from what I thought were throwaways to episodes I want to rewatch, a real sign things are turning around.

Same! We almost dropped Astra since there were so many good series this season, but now I'm glad we didn't. This episode was amazing and the foreshadowing is on point. Really didn't expect two major twists in the same episode like this, but they played it out really well. Excited to see how everything wraps up in the last 3 episodes.
Aug 28, 2019 11:06 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Damm that DNA test result sure was a surprise. Still the idea of the team being clones sure was intriguing. As was the idea that they are mere hosts that will be filled by the originals. To think that the trip itself was a trap to begin with. Still the reveal of the conspiracy sure was interesting. The effects that the revelation had on the team though sure was devastating both mentally and physically. Though it was a harsh revelation its nice that each member of the team is so determined to prove their worth to their originals. In this gloomy atmo revealing the relationship between Zack and Quitterie sure was an excellent move. Overall a solid ep that did well to reveal the core reason why the team was lost in space though the reason was actually darker than expected. The question about Earth also created another interesting mystery as well.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 28, 2019 11:08 AM
May 2019
Wow it turns out they were all clones and aliens to boot.
I can't wait for the next episode.
Aug 28, 2019 11:09 AM

Oct 2009
I did indeed note that they never mentionned Earth. Since the beginning I did not assume their planet was Earth (you know, Sci-Fi and such).

However, when Polina first mentionned Earth (I think she did last episode, to herself maybe ?), I was like "Ok nevermind it's Earth then", how dumb was I, even going so far as to hypothesize on possible time shift like "no no, it's earth 2000 years later" when the twist was building itself.

However glad the clone theory we pointed out in previous threads was true indeed However we still don't know how Aries and Charce stand in this situation - both of their "possible" originals were shadowed when they explained.

I would be a bit mad if Charce is indeed the traitor (Seira possibly being Aries original, etc.), there is so much hints that points to him (his explanation on how he handles the reaveal is way too convenient), but I would find it too cheap.

I mean, he could possibly be a suicide traitor ; wanting to end his life along with Aries, poor possible clone of Seira and in that scenario, he probably did have a change of mind.

Now, we know for sure the parents have control of the space-orb thingy. But how, then, could they have tracked the children to the 2nd planet (because the space-orb thingy appeared in the second planet also).

Probably that the traitor had a change of mind since the second planet. I would bet that we are very likely to see again the space-orb thingy on the last planet, the traitor realising that if they come back home, he is in deep troubles.
Aug 28, 2019 11:17 AM

May 2017
RPWPA said:
how can one anime end up in a greater plot twist every episode? also if ulgar is a clone, then his brother was most likely a clone as well, I hope they address this issue
On a side note, does anyone know which chapter to start reading from?

I thought so too at first, but Ulgar's brother was loved by their parents. I think he is an actual child. This is also why in the flashback his "father" said he should have died instead of his brother. An actual child, you are emotionally attached to, is worth more than a clone of yourself for that dumb rejuvenation plan.
The_Smoking_ManAug 28, 2019 11:22 AM
Aug 28, 2019 11:21 AM

Oct 2018
Bazalia said:

It was easy to guess according to what the other users have said already, Yuhua and Zack had their DNA tested as well. Considering 4 out of the 9 members have identical DNA to someone else, Kanata then considered the strained relationships almost every member has with their parents and the fact that their camping trip was obstructed, specifically why they were abandoned in goddamn space on purpose. Not to mention, he and Zack got to this conclusion due to the fact that everyone plays a certain "role" in the group due to them having a famous/relevant parent.

Zack is the son of a scientist who figured out memory replacement, Quitterie and Funicia are the daughters of a doctor who owns a hospital, Ulgar is the son of the Head of their school, Kanata is the son of a once-famous athlete, Yunhua is the daughter of a famous singer, Charce is the son of royalty and Luca is the son (since he prefers to identify as a male) of an important senator (who was already suspected to be a part of illegal cloning in the middle of the show) but is actually the son of an artist. Aries is where I get confused, but if 8 out of the 9 members are now pretty much recognized as clones, she has to be one too. The Genome Project and Control Act, as well as a scandal involving Luca's senator father, was also brought up among the group, so the talk of clones wasn't random.

It was easy for us watchers to figure it out, I love how most of the fandom had already figured it out (though that's because we saw the parents on Earth EHEMMM I mean Astra now) so we knew they looked similar to their parents and assumed they were clones. I'm assuming Kanata thought the same, maybe off-screen conversations lead to him finding out that nearly everyone looks just like their parents, consider the way he went to each member individually and spoke to them in today's episode, he could've easily done the same thing before. Add in all the factors I mentioned before and you've got yourself a diabolical plan easy to figure out.
sammyk124Aug 28, 2019 9:50 PM
~ These boys must be protected at all costs ~
Aug 28, 2019 11:32 AM

Jul 2009
Wow and I thought I was rambling mindlessly several episode discussions ago about them being clones. Looks like I hit the jackpot! Not only that, but the wormhole seems to be artificial too.

Great episode overall, though the comedic moments this time was a bit off. That ending was one hell of a cliffhanger, though I kinda assumed the kids were never from Earth in the first place.

Looking forward to the gang dishing sweet justice to their "parents."

Aug 28, 2019 11:41 AM

Feb 2016
Lol, this anime can't stop getting worse.

That Astra reveal at the end just made all the situation in Icriss far way more convenient and opens a very big plot hole. For Polina team, to crash on Icriss with the same ship just makes this way more unlikely to happen and extremely convenient. They better have a good explanation for this.

The clone reveal was also very underwhelming, it won't change the fact of how convenient and cakewalk of a journey they've been through. The only thing I got from this is that the adults on this anime are really stupid and couldn't think of a better way to kill their clones.
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Aug 28, 2019 11:52 AM

Feb 2015
I didn't think they were all clones, just the two sisters.

I actually think Aries is a clone on Sierra but was treated differently as Sierra died so she was like a replacement rather than a clone to transfer memories.

That drop at the end came out of nowhere, this series continues to suprise, it's been great
Aug 28, 2019 12:20 PM

Jan 2017
phantomfandom said:
Polina you're wrong, Earth is wherever Kanata lives. You wouldn't find a single guy like him in origianl Earth.

Also the Aries/Charce/Seira background is not fully revealed yet, so prepare for another twist.

But my version of twist would be, due to time dilation, when Polina go back to her original Earth it's already year 5740, human civilization revert back to stone age, and she meet Dr. Stone.

I want an upvote feature
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kanata no Astra Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2019

347 by naturalbrawler »»
Mar 20, 8:24 AM

Poll: » Kanata no Astra Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 10, 2019

304 by Sakagami_Tomoyo »»
Mar 3, 5:10 PM

» how this is not more popular.

Sayms - Jan 15, 2022

21 by asalkur »»
Jan 2, 10:45 AM

Poll: » Kanata no Astra Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 17, 2019

168 by asalkur »»
Jan 2, 5:40 AM

Poll: » Kanata no Astra Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Aug 7, 2019

236 by naturalbrawler »»
Dec 30, 2023 9:53 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.