3It was OK
6.0%
2Disliked it
1.5%
1Hated it
1.7%
Average 4.6
1,674 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Aug 17, 2019 7:50 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The amount of psychology this episode is pretty interesting from the demon's perspective. Fantastic music as usual.

It's really interesting to also see more of Rui's story and it's even more important to realize what kind of personality a demon can have. Shinobu is also such a badass for a demon slayer. I just how she takes every situation with a smile on her face.

Aug 17, 2019 7:57 AM

Jul 2014
What an episode, we got a backstory from Rui and his sister, Giyu and Shinobu are op af, so there was an 11th water breathe!? And Tanjiro most likely doesnt know it as he was pretty surprised by it too.
Shinobu is one creepy yandere like girl with how she was playing the demon while being smiley and shit. Creepy but cute at the same time, conflicting but hell, Hayami playing her made what she says 100x cuter.
Great ep as always, wonder what arc we get next.
Aug 17, 2019 8:00 AM

Jan 2015
Ugh, Shinobu’s so damn creepy. Those eyes. Totally love her.
I appreciate that Ufotable tried to make Shinobu’s form more interesting in the anime with all those butterflies.
Another powerful episode

Anyway, Rui’s a tough one huh? Of course Tanjirou had zero chances of killing him. Thank god Giyuu came in.
I’ve got to say that, the 11th form was pretty. It took him something like 5 seconds to kill Rui. Shouldn’t have blinked lmao.
This shows just how much Tanjirou has yet to learn to be as strong as an Hashira

That flashback was sooo messed up tho

XenocrisiAug 17, 2019 8:39 AM
Aug 17, 2019 8:24 AM

Apr 2018
I was prepared to cry but nah nevermind. There's no "Go to hell" scene yet, have to wait for another week i guess ;-;
Aug 17, 2019 9:28 AM

Aug 2019
Another solid episode. OST was fantastic this episode, really suited the setting.

I knew after reading the manga that Shinobu would be one of my favourite characters this year. Wasn't disappointed.
Aug 17, 2019 9:32 AM

Aug 2013
We finally got to see Shinobu in action. She's pretty and OP as hell. You gotta feel bad for the demons that face her.

Looks like Tanjro wasn't able to fully defeat the demon Rui. Good thing Giyuu was there.

Aug 2019
Im pretty happy that Rui didnt go out with a random power up, it would have left an unsatisfied taste in my mouth if thats how the author was going to go about dealing with one of the 12 Kizuki. I'm also glad that, even with a random power up, tanjiro was still gonna get killed if Giyuu didn't come along. Goes to show people here that when a main character gets a power boost in the middle of a fight, it isnt always gonna be a negative for the show.

Sep 2018
Damn Shinobu is such a badass(also a real beauty)...

Its nice to see that 12 kizuki are not just some stupid OP guys,he cut his own head before katana reached him s he could regenerate-smart mowe,but Tomioka got there in time and used his 11th form and killed him with ease...

Great animation,music and voice acting as always,cant wait for next week...
well that's just my opinion.....
Aug 17, 2019 9:35 AM

Dec 2014
Fantastic episode again.

In the beginning when Tanjiro was crawling towards Nezuko with Rui preparing to kill, I was praying for Giyuu to show up and end it all. Glad my prayers were answered, though it was obvious he was gonna show up.

I do kinda feel bad for all the demons that were forced into Rui's 'family', maybe if things were different they could've ended up like Tamayo.

Shinobu is awesome, I love her. Best girl already?
-Stray said:
Hayami playing her made what she says 100x cuter.

^This

The presentation for Giyuu's and Shinobu's attacks were stunning. Elegant, beautiful yet sharp. I genuinely love how all the attacks in this series are animated. Props to Ufotable.
Can't wait to see where we head next. I assume 6 episodes isn't gonna be enough to cover the next arc? Will we stop mid-way into the next arc then?
Aug 17, 2019 9:39 AM

Feb 2018
Well, Tomioka is even more OP than I imagined, and Shinobu is pretty terrifying. Not a bad pair to (presumably) have on your side. I wonder if/when Tanjirou will ever get to their level? The gap seems to be pretty significant atm.
*Mourning the disappointment of The Promised Neverland season 2.*
Aug 17, 2019 9:40 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Damm Demon bro really has impressive endurance and cunning. Still Tanjirou did well in lasting until his seniors arrived. The insight into the messed up demon family though was quite interesting. Rui really is one messed up being. Shinobu's interruption of the sister sure was fun. Despite her friendly nature Shinobu sure is quite the sadist. Though against demons thats certainly justified. Her attack animation though was just beautiful. An excellent ep that did well in showing the decimation of the demon pretend family via the arrival of Shinobu and Giyu while also doing well in showing their past. While Tanjirou and Nezuko's combo attack last ep was impressive this ep did well in showing that high ranking demons can negate sudden strikes by using their own cunning as well.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 17, 2019 9:41 AM

Dec 2018
Shinobu's short appearances with her blank eyes gave me a feeling she's a yandere type, even before this episode. True to my gut, the way she ended Rui's "sister" was pretty brutal. Aaaah... where's Zenitsu? I can't wait to see him again, I wonder if he still believes everything was just a dream (please don't spoil me).
Aug 17, 2019 9:41 AM

Sep 2010
Even though Tanjiro really shouldn't be killing one of 12 just yet, after the last hype episode it's really a shame that he didn't get that win. Because of this, the next time I will watch ep 19, it won't be as enjoyable as multiple the re-watches I did this week, much less watching for the first time.

Oh well, it's definitely better for the story overall in a long run.

Still, it feels like there will be at least one more episode that will take place on the mountain and at least one episode of recovery maybe more. Leaving us with just 4 episodes at best for a potential extra arc.

... I better see that next season announcement at the end, although even with it, I doubt I will wait before jumping for manga.
Aug 17, 2019 9:47 AM

Feb 2019
Not as many people here as episode 20, not enough celebs tweeting about it i guess lol. Shinobu's voice does something to me man. It's so gentle, yet powerful, best girl.

Last few episodes have been amazing, can't wait to see the later manga shit get adapted.
Aug 17, 2019 9:47 AM
Sep 2015
I love how shounen genre always find a way to make a woman fight with a woman naturally even without using 'I don't fight with woman' (that would be common 20 years ago).
But the manservice in this episode is overwhelmingly welcomed by me!!!! We rarely saw fanservice from this, let alone manservice.
Aug 17, 2019 9:48 AM

Sep 2014
Lol Shinobu was creepy throughout the episode. Her cheerful expression didn't change not even once throughout the episode despite saying some sadistic stuff. Giyuu easily finished off Rui as well despite being one of the twelve Junikizuki. Cannot say I cared much about Rui's flashback with his artificial dysfunctional family though.
MonkeyDHunterAug 17, 2019 9:51 AM
Aug 17, 2019 9:49 AM
Jul 2018
Pretty Ok episode. Last one was better for sure. Kind of dissapointed it wasn't Tanjiro's win. That spider girl deserved to die, she basically saved herself and let that other girl take the blame for them running away. Pretty messed up.

Shinobu is cool but god are most of the girls and boys in this anime ugly looking. I can't tell if if it the eyes or the noses.... I like her power with the butterflies but her mannerisms are annoying.
Aug 17, 2019 9:51 AM

Oct 2018
Was expecting this episode to be dragged out but that detailed backstory came out of nowhere. This isn't even in the manga. Well-played.

Aug 17, 2019 9:55 AM

Apr 2018
This episode really got me going, if anything i think the the emotional weight of this show carries it just as much as the beautifully animated fight scenes, which is a big win, and this episode is a perfect example of that.

Not only did I begin to feel sorry for the demons inducted into Rui's 'family', but this episode really does an epic job of setting perspective in the seemingly endless struggle of humanity versus demons. While the flashback scenes did make me feel sad for what the demons in his family have been put through, it contrasts with the the dark way Shinobu killed Rui's sister, displaying the undeniable fact that they need to die in this dog eat dog world for humanity to survive.

All in all, great episode. Love how this show continues to question morality in the face of survival.
Aug 17, 2019 10:01 AM

Jan 2017
Ah finally, I was waiting for a proper introduction of Shinobu (aka best girl), sadly we are almost at the end :(

And naturally Ufotable can keep up with the animation quality even after a jaw dropping episode from last week!
Aug 17, 2019 10:01 AM

Jun 2014
Looks like I chose a damn good time to finally catch up to this show.

I thought Tanjiro got that win, but I guess it makes sense to not have him defeat one of the 12 kizuki just yet. It was pretty obvious Giyuu was gonna appear to save him, and what an impressive appearance it was.

Shinobu's ability is also pretty cool, and it was satisfying yet also kinda messed up seeing the way she killed Rui's "sister."
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Aug 17, 2019 10:09 AM

May 2010
Another fire episode. Shinobu is awesome indeed ;)
Decided to read the manga next. after i finish the last 60 chapters of Souten no Ken
Aug 17, 2019 10:09 AM

May 2017
Well I already love Shinobu, her character design looks beautiful and she's creepy as hell. It's rather interesting how she kills with poison instead of the usual decapitation method.
Aug 17, 2019 10:11 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Yikes, that’s some messed up backstory from Rui there, and the whole mystery and psychology clouding the whole scene was exemplary. I wonder if those final moments of the episode means that he’s finally remembered a thing from the past though. Is he going to use up all of his final courage and strength to take down Tanjirou? More importantly, do all these 12 Kizuki members have like amnesia problems due to concentration of Muzan’s blood?

Anyway, it’s a little sad that Tanjirou at his very prime still wouldn’t be able to take down a Kizuki member. Oddly enough, I’m a little glad however that this is a bit more dire than most other similar instances in the genre but I feel like this will weigh on my mind when I rewatch the previous episode again. But hey, at least we got to see that majestic 11th Form though. Giyu is certainly on another level and defeating a Kizuki member in a matter of 5 seconds or so is just crazy.

Meanwhile, we got a lot of Shinobu here. Mad props to Hayami Saori, god her melodious voice just made the whole thing even more creepy. Insect breathing technique, jeez anything goes I see lol. An awesome entry scene there cutting the Nee-chan off there. Looks like the poison made up for the penalty. Saying 5 when in reality it’s around 80, I’m sure that’d piss off most people but Shinobu took the trouble to clear that for us lol. Anyway, she looked like she was completely on with the ‘play’ and thanks to that, that older girl was fried, and due to this I can’t help but feel justice is served (and it most definitely is, right?).

We’re just under 2.5 hours of screen time now (unless the final episode(s) happens to have a double length, that is) before the Season finale and I can’t wait to see what’s next in store for us! Hopefully, we’ll be getting an announcement for a 2nd Season during these 6 odd weeks too!

Edit: How could I forget, silly me.

Looks like Nezuko is a really crafty master of this Blood Demon Art by the way judging from Rui’s monologue there. Why did she collapse and feign though, could it be it’s very stressful on the body or is it just her usual sleeping. If it happens to be the latter, we will surely see her in the remaining episodes right?
_MushiRock11_Aug 17, 2019 12:07 PM
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Aug 17, 2019 10:12 AM

Jan 2018
Shinobou, ahh her character overall still impresses me. I love that her voice actor is soft and gentle hanazawa-chan, she's just so goddamn perfect

also, since my man Inosuke is best boy, I should also declare that Shinobou, although she is introduced very late in the series as one of the best girls out there (you know why manga readers)

This back story is also fucking brutal, absolute betrayal
Aug 17, 2019 10:12 AM
Jun 2019
Ok Shinobu is scary as fuck, I thought she was a really nice girl but omg she's a sadist and tortures demons for fun
Aug 17, 2019 10:13 AM

Feb 2013
I feel bad about all the demons in that family.
Aug 17, 2019 10:14 AM

Jan 2015
_MushiRock11_ said:
More importantly, do all these 12 Kizuki members have like amnesia problems due to concentration of Muzan’s blood?

Yes, every and each demon suffers from amnesia, so that they don’t hesitate from killing people
Aug 17, 2019 10:17 AM

Oct 2009
The fact that we feel sorry for demons and then question our own feelings is proof that this anime is doing an incredible job of setting emotional and moral weights in different perspectives. It's been doing this since the first demon Tanjirou faced, and the more significant they get, the more backstory we're shown. Just mindblown how they can keep up such high quality week after week, and this is just one aspect.

And with all the twistedness, it somehow manages to keep everything at bay, so that I still don't feel like fleeing from it. Despite having fled from several others for much less. It's kinda fascinating.
Aug 17, 2019 10:18 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Xenocrisi said:
_MushiRock11_ said:
More importantly, do all these 12 Kizuki members have like amnesia problems due to concentration of Muzan’s blood?

Yes, every and each demon suffers from amnesia, so that they don’t hesitate from killing people

Ah, knew it. Looks like Muzan is a dirty fellow through and through.
Thanks for the confirmation by the way!

Aug 17, 2019 10:27 AM

Oct 2018
Didn’t like the episode, all those emotional and beautiful part from the last episode ended up as nothing.
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
Aug 17, 2019 10:42 AM
Jul 2018
KlinyKlinn said:
I love that her voice actor is soft and gentle hanazawa-chanl

It's Hayami Saori.
Aug 17, 2019 10:51 AM

Dec 2016
_MushiRock11_ said:
Yikes, that’s some messed up backstory from Rui there, and the whole mystery and psychology clouding the whole scene was exemplary. I wonder if those final moments of the episode means that he’s finally remembered a thing from the past though. Is he going to use up all of his final courage and strength to take down Tanjirou? More importantly, do all these 12 Kizuki members have like amnesia problems due to concentration of Muzan’s blood?

Some still retain their human live memories. interestingly, those that retain those memories are also already fuck up even before turned into demon. It seem like the process of erase human empathy also erase the memories, so those that lack empathy still retain their memories.
Aug 17, 2019 10:52 AM

Sep 2018
People jumping the Nezuko ship onto the Shinobu waifu wagon lol
Blanks.
Aug 17, 2019 10:53 AM

Mar 2017
Woooow, Shinobu is so fucking cool! I love that she's overcome being physically weak by using her strength of intellect to become super awesome!

I think it's also really amazing how yet again they've created a demon that sparks sympathy whilst also making him villainous. It found it really sad that Rui was so desperate to have a family but didn't really know what a family is or how to have one
Aug 17, 2019 10:57 AM

Jun 2017
This was a very good episode, but certainly overshadowed by Episode 19. Although, let's be honest, that is a very high standard. I enjoyed the new characters and getting to see the demons' backstory.
Aug 17, 2019 10:59 AM

Nov 2016
Another great episode. Rui being able to outsmart Tanjirou is reletevating the emotional power up while keeping the impact of the scene. We were also able to see how truly op Gyuu is. Rui might only been the lower 5, which makes him the 2nd weakest, but still impressive.

The flashback was messed up and his sister honestly doesn't mercy after being such a snitch. Shinobu is hilarious in a creepy way and I can't imagine a seiyuu giving her character as much justice as Saori Hayami does. She's the perfect fit.

After some weaker episodes during the start of the second cour, I'm hooked all over again now.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Aug 17, 2019 11:01 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
ExaltedChampion said:
_MushiRock11_ said:

Some still retain their human live memories. interestingly, those that retain those memories are also already fuck up even before turned into demon. It seem like the process of erase human empathy also erase the memories, so those that lack empathy still retain their memories.

Ah, I see, thanks for the brief rundown!

Aug 17, 2019 11:04 AM

Oct 2017
Damn the butterfly girl is crazy.
Aug 17, 2019 11:10 AM

Feb 2016
Of course Rui didn't die, he just cut his own head with his strings lmfao. What a way to ruin almost all that emotional display from last episode. It could have been more convincing if Rui actually received some damage, being that the reason as to why Giyuu effortlessly one shot him. Either way, this conclusion to that fight was rather disappointing.

Butterfly girl is creepy, but I can't say I dislike her character.

Weak episode 3/5
CrimsonWandererAug 18, 2019 6:12 AM
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Aug 17, 2019 11:12 AM

Feb 2016
Lululand said:
Didn’t like the episode, all those emotional and beautiful part from the last episode ended up as nothing.

Exactly as I felt, this episode almost TOTALLY ruined last episode by showing us how that spider boy didn't die because some bullshit reason, only to get the show stolen by some random dude I forgot about because this anime's characters are so forgettable.
CrimsonWandererAug 17, 2019 1:16 PM
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Aug 17, 2019 11:16 AM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
Kind of meh episode. Not liking this poison girl at all, she seems like a generic overpowered character. But liked how the sister demon tattled on the other girl.

3/5
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
Aug 17, 2019 11:16 AM

Jun 2011
HereticHunter said:
Lululand said:

Exactly as I felt, this episode almost TOTALLY ruined last episode by showing us how that spider boy didn't die because some bullshit reason, only to get the show stolen by some random dude who hasn't even been introduced yet

Lol, he got introduced in episode 1. Did you forget that he was the one who tried to kill Nezuko at the beginning of the series.
Aug 17, 2019 11:18 AM

Jun 2015
HereticHunter said:
Lululand said:

Exactly as I felt, this episode almost TOTALLY ruined last episode by showing us how that spider boy didn't die because some bullshit reason, only to get the show stolen by some random dude who hasn't even been introduced yet

Giyuu already got introduced in early episodes and c'mon, you would prefer that Tanjiro have killed Rui that it's like WAY strong than him at this point just like that? I can understand what you are feeling but this development it's better for the story progression.
Aug 17, 2019 11:22 AM

Jan 2009
they added fillers welp they never gonna end this first season with the demon train arc then
Aug 17, 2019 11:23 AM

Apr 2018
Shinobu is such a great character. Those sadistic eyes are beautiful.
Also the flashback was interesting.
Apr 2016
Well, goddamn, he cut his own head off before Tanjirou could do it, that was unexpected and awesome. Tomioka killed Rui off just like I expected the last episode, instead of Tanjirou killing him off with his dancing-powerboost. Some people seem to be upset, but honestly, this way it makes way more sense.

Jan 2015
HereticHunter said:
Lululand said:

Wait what. Kimetsu no Yaiba, unlike all the other shounens, keeps the power levels grounded from start to finish without exceptions. I kinda see where you’re coming from, but it was already stated last episode that Tanjrou couldn’t beat him no matter what.

Kimetsu no Yaiba is not that kind of series. It follows its rules and logic.
You should praise the fact that it makes more sense this way instead of complaining IMO

What you want =/ logic
Aug 17, 2019 11:33 AM

Mar 2018
The hashira are on a whole other level whatthehell. Epic how.. Easy they dealt with them actually.. Almost scary lol

The demon's backstories were pretty interesting and got some amazing feels there.

“I don’t like expending more effort than I have to.” – Ayanokouji Kiyotaka
Aug 17, 2019 11:35 AM

May 2017
that awesome episode 19 was really useless lol
    CARP 9/12/18 Eterno
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kimetsu no Yaiba Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 18, 2019

312 by CicadaRex »»
Yesterday, 12:21 PM

» I don't get it

n0tSamir - Jul 7, 2023

34 by guts4ever »»
Apr 22, 12:44 PM

» Gurenge becomes top selling digital single song in Reiwa era

FZREMAKE - Apr 15

19 by Naveen6662246 »»
Apr 22, 11:46 AM

Poll: » Kimetsu no Yaiba Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 27, 2019

272 by CicadaRex »»
Apr 20, 4:20 AM

Poll: » Kimetsu no Yaiba Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 20, 2019

282 by CicadaRex »»
Apr 19, 11:49 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.