Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 18, 2019 6:14 PM

Sep 2018
better at what? better at being wildly accessible for both genders to enjoy. It seems like girls can enjoy shounen series but guys find shoujo hard to get into. The best shoujo series I've seen is cardcaptor sakura, and I find the rest of the genre, sometimes a bit too "pure"? I dunno, can't say..

what are your thoughts on the matter?
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jul 18, 2019 6:24 PM

Aug 2014
Yeah, shounen has considerably more mass appeal. Not sure what else to add.
Jul 18, 2019 6:59 PM

Aug 2014
terminated-soul said:
(Seinen) Action-Adventure-Harem-(Dark)Fantasy (∞)>>> Shounen / Shoujo, and all other LGBT crap.

Do you just mean that all of the genres you listed are ones you enjoy more than shounen and shoujo? Or that you know anime/manga that fall under all those at once? (If so, please list them, because I'm intrigued.)

Nick-Knight said:
So my vote goes for "Both".

Since the OP said...
jesteri said:
better at what? better at being wildly accessible for both genders to enjoy.

...perhaps they should change the thread title to "more accessible" rather than simply better, to avoid misunderstandings.
Jul 18, 2019 8:07 PM

Jul 2017
Do a lot of guys really find it that hard to get into shoujo? idk maybe because romance is my favorite genre, but for me at least most shounen can get into frustrating levels at times with its cliches whereas shoujo kinda floats around annoying

But I think worldwide appeal yea shounen is more popular than shoujo. Especially looking at the most common mainstream shows they're more often than not battle shounen's
Jul 18, 2019 8:23 PM

Mar 2019
It's simple to me: syouzyo has better rape scenes in general than syounen and that is all I care about.

A work of fiction live or die by the quality of its rape scenes.

It is obvious that "obscenity" is not a term capable of exact legal definition; in the practice of the courts, it means "anything that shocks the magistrate".

— Bertrand Russell
Jul 18, 2019 10:00 PM

Oct 2014
In terms of market value, yes. shounen manga makes a considerable about more in sales than shoujo does. As for acclaim, well, that's subjective. I've never read a shoujo manga, and quite a few shounen, so my answer is obvious on that part.
Jul 18, 2019 11:17 PM

Jul 2019
No Shounen manga stories are mediocre and they promote negative things like toxic masculinity unlike shojo where the stories are usually better and they also have more character development, beside isn't the who point of shounen fights and fights in manga usually suck when compared to anime.

Never explain,
Never retract,
Never apologize
Just get the thing done
And let them howl
Jul 19, 2019 2:20 AM
May 2019
Your comparing apple and oranges here. They are targeting different audiences and have a different appeal. Although shounen manga are more popular.
Jul 19, 2019 2:57 AM

Feb 2016
shounen fucking sucks compared to shoujo
shounen is only popular for one reason
LOSERS
“The world is full of nice people. If you can't find one, be one.”
― Nishan Panwar
8=D ~ O:
Jul 19, 2019 4:55 AM

Jun 2009
I find some shounen ok. but its rare. shoujo to me at lest has more of story with more emotion. But there hasn't been to much good shows I seen, maybe in manga, but eh. too much effort to hunt them down.
Jul 19, 2019 9:42 AM

Sep 2018
Xstasy said:
Your comparing apple and oranges here. They are targeting different audiences and have a different appeal. Although shounen manga are more popular.

they aren't that far apart to be calling them apples and oranges. If a shoujo manga targets a ton of girls but they equally get a ton of boys, its arguable that it is "better", in the sense of connecting with more readers.

Short_Circut said:
Do a lot of guys really find it that hard to get into shoujo? idk maybe because romance is my favorite genre

Romance does not equal shoujo. That being said I haven't read too many shoujo series so I'm going to stereotype based off the 5 or so I've tried. For me, the characters aren't quirky enough, and it feels there aren't enough stakes.
Jul 19, 2019 9:47 AM

Jul 2017
jesteri said:
Xstasy said:

they aren't that far apart to be calling them apples and oranges. If a shoujo manga targets a ton of girls but they equally get a ton of boys, its arguable that it is "better", in the sense of connecting with more readers.

Short_Circut said:
Do a lot of guys really find it that hard to get into shoujo? idk maybe because romance is my favorite genre

Romance does not equal shoujo. That being said I haven't read too many shoujo series so I'm going to stereotype based off the 5 or so I've tried. For me, the characters aren't quirky enough, and it feels there aren't enough stakes.

I know, I never said it did, I'm just saying that since most shoujo tends to be romances. But yeah I can see your point a lot of shoujo tend to have some lame protag's. As for the stakes, it kinda isn't as intense for me anymore because it gets to a point where you already know what the outcome is going to be, plus most shounen's never bother to actually kill off a character that has any importance so it kinda lowers the intensity
Jul 19, 2019 9:57 AM

May 2013
I like both. Shonens are usually more legendary, though. I mean, Shonen Jump is like the #1 source of all manga.

Even a lot of Shoujo is still published by Shonen Jump ...

I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
Jul 19, 2019 10:19 AM

Oct 2012
Shoujo is cheesy and slow-paced - perfect for a girl.
Shounen crazy and full of action - perfect for a little boy.
There is no "what is better" in this. it's your own opinion that counts.
If life ain't just a joke
Then why are we laughing?

If life ain't just a joke
Then why am I dead?
Jul 19, 2019 10:26 AM

Jan 2016
yes, definitely, absolutely. Well for me atleast. Shoujo manga are sooooooo cheesy it's insane, I try reading shoujo romance and it's just so uninteresting. Also the art is bad for most of them, which is another minus.
Jul 19, 2019 11:24 AM

Jul 2012
There are masterpieces, a lot of very good stories, but also, a bunch of overdone trash, in both demographics.

I'm not sure why would someone even try to compare them in terms of overall quality of each demographics' series, but if you want a consensus, much like all of the other demographics, I think there is about the same amount of both good and bad stuff.

Except maybe Josei, Josei may have more quality titles than bad titles, at least from my own experience reading (but that may mean that I just didn't read enough of those either).

I say that as someone who reads a lot of things of literally any kind, my manga list is far too incomplete if you want to take some examples from my own perspective, as I still need to add about 3000 titles in a bookmark folder on my Chrome, but feel free to do so and also compare to your own results at that.

AnimeFeminist said:
No Shounen manga stories are mediocre and they promote negative things like toxic masculinity unlike shojo where the stories are usually better and they also have more character development, beside isn't the who point of shounen fights and fights in manga usually suck when compared to anime.

About that, I think you are generalizing a lot a whole demographic in here. There are actually very few and far in between shounen titles that actually get the edge of dated sexism in their content, almost all of them early 90s or older.

Lately the worst you can get is underdeveloped female characters compared to the male cast counterpart (and vice-versa), and most of those ironically are written by women (all bishounen sports manga written by female mangaka I've read thus far, Kuroshitsuji until 16 volumes in, Katekyo Hitman Reborn with extremely rare exceptions that don't "stay in the kitchen and doing house work while the badass bishounen characters do the battle work", and the list goes on and on and on).

In most of those cases, it's a matter of appealing to a broader audience that would like to see both female-directed elements (cool looking gentle/badass and well developed bishounens and their friends doing stuff) and male-directed elements (the whole shounen genre is packed with adrenaline, enthusiasm and positive vibes towards facing one's life of challenges and after dealing with their struggles, succeeding and having their deserved ending and dreams accomplished through raw effort, elements that even depressed 40 years old may still appreciate and see value in for themselves). Of course, there can be boys, girls, man and women who are completely in line with exactly the opposite appeal of each for themselves (or a mix of both), and that's it only benefits the title regardless.

That goes to shoujo (Akatsuki no Youna), seinen (Oyasumi Punpun), josei (Hachimitsu to Clover) as well, there may be elements of their opposite target demographic all around in them, and mostly, those only enriches and attract a vaster following overall. Horray for general appeal.

So don't go labeling a whole demographic unfairly like you just did, please.
Jul 19, 2019 12:51 PM

May 2017
And here I thought Seinen manga was better than both of those combined.

Guess I was wrong.
Jul 19, 2019 1:03 PM
May 2019
@jesteri

That is a non sequitur it doesn't logically follow. The quality of something isn't determined based on the gender composition of the audience that engages in it.
Jul 19, 2019 1:08 PM

Apr 2015
I read/watch both so I appreciate them equally. I don't want to restrict my options based on demographics. Art style and visual style-wise I have no preferences and I find those works that mix both "genre" visuals interesting.

jesteri said:
The best shoujo series I've seen is cardcaptor sakura, and I find the rest of the genre, sometimes a bit too "pure"?

Exactly what way too pure? Let me just copy paste MAL summary of one of my favorite manga series of all time, Zankoku na Kami ga Shihai suru in english A Cruel God reigns
The story follows Jeremy, who is sexually abused by his stepfather. Mentally disturbed by this, Jeremy goes down a path of murder; however, he accidentally finds himself the murderer not only of his stepfather, but also his own mother.

Soon his stepbrother Ian begins to suspect him as well as discover the twisted truth about his own father.

That in case if you meant by "pure" fluffy-feel-good and innocent in themes.
Jul 19, 2019 1:56 PM

Apr 2015
Flevalt said:
How many iconic shojo characters can you think of?

How many do you want? Sapphire (from Princess Knight), Oscar François de Jarjayes, Sally Yumeno, Atsuko Kagami, Lunlun, Candy (from Candy Candy), Creamy Mami/Yu Morisawa, Usagi Tsukino/Sailor Moon, Sakura Kinomoto, Daisuke Niwa/Dark, Ichigo Momomiya, Takeo Gouda. I limited myself just to main characters and anime.
Jul 19, 2019 5:37 PM

Sep 2018
konkelo said:
I read/watch both so I appreciate them equally. I don't want to restrict my options based on demographics. Art style and visual style-wise I have no preferences and I find those works that mix both "genre" visuals interesting.

jesteri said:
The best shoujo series I've seen is cardcaptor sakura, and I find the rest of the genre, sometimes a bit too "pure"?

Exactly what way too pure? Let me just copy paste MAL summary of one of my favorite manga series of all time, Zankoku na Kami ga Shihai suru in english A Cruel God reigns
The story follows Jeremy, who is sexually abused by his stepfather. Mentally disturbed by this, Jeremy goes down a path of murder; however, he accidentally finds himself the murderer not only of his stepfather, but also his own mother.

Soon his stepbrother Ian begins to suspect him as well as discover the twisted truth about his own father.

"Pure" not in the sense of brutality but being inflexible, rigid, lack of fluctuation, and 1 dimensional. I guess what I mean is, "too perfect" that it becomes overbearing. The manwha "Disrespectful Bitch" is a really tragic gritty series that really had me on the edge because it made you feeel sooo bad for the main character but to me, up to a certain point it got stale because the tragedy hit the limit of where it turns into a comedy.

Take crying for example:

Mouths closed, no snot, its too bloody beautiful and gorgeous, it's too PERFECT that it takes away from the emotion its trying to convey.

compared to:

to be drawn at their most ugliest and loudest, with snot coming out, with emotions just over running is more impactful to me.

Xstasy said:
@jesteri

That is a non sequitur it doesn't logically follow. The quality of something isn't determined based on the gender composition of the audience that engages in it.

It depends on what you think the purpose of entertainment is. To me, a measure of quality is utilization, and this is very relative.

I'd argue it does play some part in quality. In analogy, a toilet is better than a urinal because it has the capacity to support both genders in both their states of deification, therefore it can be argued that the toilet is better quality. It's not about gender composition but more so, how well it fulfills its intended purpose. If the purpose of my smartphone is to last 2-3 years, but it lasts for 7 years, I can call that quality.

What do you define, composes the definition of quality?
Jul 20, 2019 12:06 AM

Dec 2011
Hard to get into? More like those types already go into it biased and unwilling. It’s very annoying to see backhanded compliments to shoujo titles when they equate “girly” to “childish” and then go “woah surprised this is actually good,” often with the exact same or similar phrasing. Just the same shamelessly basic mindsets.

jesteri said:
...Mouths closed, no snot,
to be drawn at their most ugliest and loudest, with snot coming out,...

you sure you don’t just have a booger fetish there bud
Jul 20, 2019 2:30 AM

Jun 2008
CMYK said:
Hard to get into? More like those types already go into it biased and unwilling. It’s very annoying to see backhanded compliments to shoujo titles when they equate “girly” to “childish” and then go “woah surprised this is actually good,” often with the exact same or similar phrasing. Just the same shamelessly basic mindsets.

jesteri said:

Oh! please few shoujos aren't cringy. Even the good ones are kind of cringe at many times. That is why people avoid most of them.
The art is just so cringe most of the times with their silly boy band girly boys and beautification of everything and silly poses.
Most of the times they really are all girly that seem to only be made for teenage girls.
Jul 20, 2019 4:24 AM

Apr 2015
jesteri said:
konkelo said:

"Pure" not in the sense of brutality but being inflexible, rigid, lack of fluctuation, and 1 dimensional. I guess what I mean is, "too perfect" that it becomes overbearing. The manwha "Disrespectful Bitch" is a really tragic gritty series that really had me on the edge because it made you feeel sooo bad for the main character but to me, up to a certain point it got stale because the tragedy hit the limit of where it turns into a comedy.

Take crying for example:

Mouths closed, no snot, its too bloody beautiful and gorgeous, it's too PERFECT that it takes away from the emotion its trying to convey.

compared to:

to be drawn at their most ugliest and loudest, with snot coming out, with emotions just over running is more impactful to me.

While I can see that "too perfect" aspect, but question. Is there any media that doesn't aim for that perfect world to be portrayed? What I see is majority of movies hire attractive actors. Many books for younger teenagers have main characters with little flaws in personality and so on. You can even find cases where portray of ugliness has caused disapprove by people and even offended. I'm not saying this is wrong or should be changed that people gather to beauty, that's just how it is and shoujo isn't expectation.

Another question is, how commonly you actually see even in shounen important characters portrayed in unappealing way? Also do tell if that character is a female, because I feel that's even more rare. Only that comes to my mind is Kakegurui and Soul Eater when it comes to female characters. I know little of One piece but apparently that picture's character is a child during that scene. Crying uncontrollably usually is used for comedic scenes and to show how immature that character is both in shoujo and shounen. But since you wanted snot while crying here you go

This one is josei, but I think this really fits your tastes ;)
Jul 20, 2019 5:12 AM

Mar 2015
Shoujo does romance better. Shounen for everything else.
Jul 20, 2019 10:39 AM

May 2016
For me the main difference between them is that shounen is more focused on action and shoujo on feelings and emotions (not necessarily romance). Sure, I can understand that some random manga focused on feels doesn't sound as engaging as action or adventure, but I felt more invested in manga like Zankoku na Kami ga Shihai suru, Versailles no Bara, Orpheus no Mado and Nana than in most shounen.
Jul 20, 2019 12:56 PM

Sep 2018
CMYK said:

jesteri said:

because thats a more realistic deipction of crying

and it kind of throws me off.

CMYK said:

While I can see that "too perfect" aspect, but question. Is there any media that doesn't aim for that perfect world to be portrayed? What I see is majority of movies hire attractive actors. Many books for younger teenagers have main characters with little flaws in personality and so on. You can even find cases where portray of ugliness has caused disapprove by people and even offended. I'm not saying this is wrong or should be changed that people gather to beauty, that's just how it is and shoujo isn't expectation.

^video above sums up my gripe with "too perfect". Yeah, there's nothing wrong with people gathering around beauty, just for me personally, it sometimes takes away from the immersion if I notice. Even just being "able" to be portrayed as ugly takes a lot of vulnerability that seems more surreal.

Another question is, how commonly you actually see even in shounen important characters portrayed in unappealing way? Also do tell if that character is a female, because I feel that's even more rare. Only that comes to my mind is Kakegurui and Soul Eater when it comes to female characters. I know little of One piece but apparently that picture's character is a child during that scene. Crying uncontrollably usually is used for comedic scenes and to show how immature that character is both in shoujo and shounen. But since you wanted snot while crying here you go

yeah, female characters crying in an ugly way is more rare, and I get that some character types will just naturally cover their mouth and try really hard to hold it in, so I can't complain about it too much. Crying is just 1 emotion. The word emotion has the word "motion" in it, and I guess most shoujo I've read restricts the motion and controls it in a way that makes me lose sync.
Jul 20, 2019 3:12 PM
Jul 2018
jesteri said:

Take crying for example:

compared to:

You are aware of the fact that every manga has its unique art style and One Piece is in the eyes of many people not the prettiest out there?
And yes, actually Shoujos are overly "prettyfied" and therefore they are often unnatural too. If you are crying FOR REAL, not only some tears running over your cheeks, you will definitely look uglier that this pretty boy.

Back to topic: I rarely can get into Shoujo manga or anime. They are often overly cheesy and saccharine. Of course not all, but these typical Shoujo romances are pretty nice inbetween (at least some, a few are outstanding, I guess), although they are often too sweet. Also real shy girls are very different from your typical shoujo heroine and if you aren't 15 anymore, it might get harder and harder to see any character in her at all.
Most seem like they are self inserts, while I have seen A LOT more Shounen that don't have power fantasy / self insert-characters.

Also for romances I prefer Shounen and Seinen a lot of times over Shoujo and Josei. Some romances I loved are Shounen and Seinen, in comparison to that I dropped many Shoujo romances and some I finished... I liked them, but most of them aren't my favorites.

Still, I loved Natsume Yuujinchou, No. 6, Banana Fish and Children of the Whales tho. Also I mostly will like Nana, because I really liked Paradise Kiss too.
removed-userJul 20, 2019 3:19 PM
Jul 20, 2019 7:32 PM

Sep 2018
Maneki-Mew said:

You are aware of the fact that every manga has its unique art style and One Piece is in the eyes of many people not the prettiest out there?
And yes, actually Shoujos are overly "prettyfied" and therefore they are often unnatural too. If you are crying FOR REAL, not only some tears running over your cheeks, you will definitely look uglier that this pretty boy.

GOOD! OP doesn't need to be the prettiest out there because it needs to be ugly when it can be, otherwise it won't work. To be honest I find it hard to distinguish art styles of stereotypical shoujo series.

google image search of "shoujo anime"

Either way, art is just half the game, if not 25%. I don't even mind things being cheesy as long as its well paced and flows well. The Promised Neverland didn't have the most horrifying art compared to Uzumaki, but the sudden pacing of Isabella staring Emma right in the face surprised me and made me drop my phone.

I agree, if shoujo romances were as well done something like Ao No Flag, which I'm surprised its even classified as a shounen series, I would have no problem with cheesiness.
Jul 20, 2019 10:16 PM

Dec 2011
Monad said:
CMYK said:

Oh! please few shoujos aren't cringy. Even the good ones are kind of cringe at many times. That is why people avoid most of them.
The art is just so cringe most of the times with their silly boy band girly boys and beautification of everything and silly poses.
Most of the times they really are all girly that seem to only be made for teenage girls.

You… have just described the point of a demographic? If it seems like it’s made for girls, it’s because it is made for girls. That’s the target audience. Also, most of the time, girly is used as an insult. Why? Why is it ‘silly’ to like girlish things? Using cringe in the context of just because it’s girly isn’t valid. You never hear shounen being described as too boyish. Battle shounen, action-themed shounen, sports, I can pull a list of “silly poses” used in any of those, if not more. If it’s a matter of style, that’s okay. Everyone has a preference. But you can’t dismiss or generalize an entire demographic when you can find the exact same criticisms in another, especially in design, and you accept those.

And I’m not saying this as if to mean shoujo is somehow better or above shounen. My own preference is actually seinen. Just tired of the hypocrisy.

jesteri said:

As @Maneki-Mew mentioned, boogers or not, it depends on the art style and context. Wailing like that in shoujo does have context; you will not see that unless for comedic effect or something really bad is going on - unlike your example One Piece, which is known for its exaggeration and uses ugly crying all the time, whenever it can, just stuffs it in there. Btw, which can also be seen as cheesy.

Applying realism to one specific character trait (realism, in anime?) like crying is very, very odd. None of these styles are realistic. There’s different types of crying as well. Like you mentioned, some shoujo characters will go ahead and hide their face when they cry. You can definitely find shoujo characters who cry with boogers since that’s what you’re hyper-focusing on though.

Also, at least in shoujo, they don’t always rely on the physical tears to show emotion. You mentioned surrealism in some other post. Like @konkelo and @Kotoneko-chan brought up, A Cruel God Reigns is a perfect example. Despair and extreme sadness are illustrated through symbolic, beautiful imagery. That's not something that could be easily pulled off in shounen when things are given to you at face value. They're different atmospheres is all. If I wanted realistic crying I'd just throw on any show with irl actors.

…But in the end, neither shoujo or shounen will ever compete with the true beast of anime crying: Ghibli glob tears.
Jul 21, 2019 12:37 AM
Jul 2018
jesteri said:
Maneki-Mew said:

GOOD! OP doesn't need to be the prettiest out there because it needs to be ugly when it can be, otherwise it won't work. To be honest I find it hard to distinguish art styles of stereotypical shoujo series.

google image search of "shoujo anime"

Either way, art is just half the game, if not 25%. I don't even mind things being cheesy as long as its well paced and flows well. The Promised Neverland didn't have the most horrifying art compared to Uzumaki, but the sudden pacing of Isabella staring Emma right in the face surprised me and made me drop my phone.

I agree, if shoujo romances were as well done something like Ao No Flag, which I'm surprised its even classified as a shounen series, I would have no problem with cheesiness.

The art is incredibly important to me as well and I always would prefer gorgeous over "ugly" like One Piece.

But not too gorgeous in the Shoujo-way, if that makes sense. Many (Battle) Shounen manga have absolutely lovely art as well. From Noragami for example, the art looks so beautiful there and developed even more over 20 volumes: https://www.picclickimg.com/d/l400/pict/172269648804_/Loot-Crate-Anime-Exclusive-Noragami-Manga-Vol-1.jpg

Either way, I like both art styles sometimes and I appreciate or at least respect every artist, as long as... they are not on Junjou Romantica-niveau lol. But there, not only the art style was wrong.

Yes, I liked some Shoujo romances too, but there were other romances that resonated much better with me, I think and most of them were Shounen or Seinen and yes, Ao no Flag is indeed a Shounen, looked it up. ^^
removed-userJul 21, 2019 2:12 AM
Jul 21, 2019 12:43 AM

Jan 2009
im an action junkie so i prefer shonen there are shonen that is full of female characters too like Claymore manga but ye need more of those
Jul 21, 2019 1:44 AM
May 2019
deg said:
im an action junkie so i prefer shonen there are shonen that is full of female characters too like Claymore manga but ye need more of those

Yup Claymore is a really good manga. We need Claymore Siterhood to happen.
Jul 21, 2019 3:22 AM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
I love both.
Shounen mostly for battle shounens and fanservice.
Shoujo mostly for romance. Shoujo defining style usually has more glittery and sweet looking romance.

But overall. I love them both. As romance is my favorite genre of all times. And so are the battle shounens.
Aug 1, 2019 3:25 AM
Jul 2018
I’m definitely a shoujo watcher/reader gal through and through ^_^ <3 <3 <3
Aug 1, 2019 4:41 AM

Aug 2018
Illuminatli said:
Shoujo is cheesy and slow-paced - perfect for a girl.
Shounen crazy and full of action - perfect for a little boy.
There is no "what is better" in this. it's your own opinion that counts.

This is the best answer I've seen so far.

You can name classics from both sides of the fence, it just really depends on what you're in the mood for and what your taste has been accustomed too.
Aug 1, 2019 5:12 AM
Jul 2018
hell no

yuki midorikawa's work >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> any shonen on this planet
Aug 1, 2019 5:13 AM

Dec 2012
Honestly, I prefer Shoujo. Even if the demographic isn't aimed at me, I prefer Shoujos due to the romantical (sp?) development that they (mostly) get.
Aug 1, 2019 5:21 AM

Aug 2018
Shoujo manga (and female mangakas in general) completely SHITS on shounen and male writers. That's a FACT.
Aug 1, 2019 6:33 AM

Aug 2009
Cygames said:
Shoujo manga (and female mangakas in general) completely SHITS on shounen and male writers. That's a FACT.

Bro that wasn't even the original question. It was about what has more appeal and its clear that shonen are more popular and more easily appeal to both genders; while shoujo is much more likely to appeal to only girls/women.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aug 1, 2019 7:09 AM

Jun 2019
I prefer shounen. I'd say it's because I'm male, but some girls I know also watch shounen over shoujo so I don't know.

Aug 4, 2019 12:38 PM
Jul 2019
I read and watch both. Popularity wise shounen wins, but it's not better than shoujo, just different. They both have their own merits and cliches
Aug 4, 2019 2:55 PM
Aug 2016
To be honest when it comes to anime, I would choose shounen over shoujo, but when it comes to manga, shoujo will always rule for me, and also BL.
You said a guy finds it hard to get into a shoujo manga, but as I mentioned above, when it comes to manga, shoujo is the best for me, oh and I'm a guy btw.
Now, it depends on every person and what they like, not everybody is the same, and not all of us have the same tastes.
Some people might not like neither shounen nor shoujo at all, they might be into some other genres.
Aug 5, 2019 5:43 PM

Sep 2013
shoujo is one of my favourite manga genres i find most shounen boring
Aug 5, 2019 6:00 PM
Jul 2018
Shounen all the way...
What makes me want to get a shounen manga anyday over any shoujo is mostly the how the characters are drawn in nthem.
In shoujo manga, all the characters appear waaay too sparkly to my taste, while in shounen it's straight normal, there are lighter tones. The guys also act in a very abnormal way.
Aug 5, 2019 6:08 PM

Oct 2017
Shoujo can give off vibes from gag manga, but if done well, I actually end up liking romance manga. Romance anime, however, is meh and pretty predictable and cliche with the protagonist girl or whatever falling in love carelessly and ends up with unrealistic attitudes of love that really end up annoying me, with some of what I've seen.
@cygames girls can write shounen, what's the problem with that?
Aug 5, 2019 6:21 PM

Dec 2015
Shounen just does everything that Shoujo tries to do better than Shoujo can. Romance in shoujo is a whole lot less appealing than romance in Shounen because shounen manga usually realize that other things happen in the lives of their characters outside of the romantic. This is such a common flaw in Shoujo manga and anime that I'm honestly surprised that it's still defended. It makes everything flat and lifeless.
Dropping your favorite show
Aug 5, 2019 6:25 PM

Aug 2018
Bunille said:
@cygames girls can write shounen, what's the problem with that?
I agree with that! My favorite shounen manga is actually written by a girl, Pandora Hearts!
Aug 5, 2019 6:36 PM

Nov 2008
Shoujo/ josei is BETTER, no doubt about it.

And WHAT is up with shounen loving "snot crying" anyway!? When I cry hard, that doesn't happen to me. it's so gross and a major turn-off

Cygames said:

Quoted for truth. :D

some seinen manga are also really good but most of my collection is shoujo/josei

GrandEgotist said:
because shounen manga usually realize that other things happen in the lives of their characters outside of the romantic. This is such a common flaw in Shoujo manga and anime that I'm honestly surprised that it's still defended. It makes everything flat and lifeless.

I REALLY have no clue what series you're even talking about; even terrible shoujo like Fushigi Yuugi have TONS of subplots going on without romance?

Akatsuki No Yona's main plot is a princess trying to figure out what to do when her father is killed and her kingdom is stolen from her.

Full Moon Wo Sagashite is about a young girl who has terminal cancer, trying to make it into the music industry.

Gakuen Alice is about a corrupt system trying to take advantage of children's magical abilities.

Magic Knights Rayearth is about three school girls trying to save a crumbling fantasy world.

Fruits Basket is about an orphan trying to help cursed beings see the beauty in their lives...(and also undo their curses)

Kodomo No Omocha is about a child actress befriending a delinquent, finding her birth mother after she was abandoned, and dealing with friends who all go through some life-changing event, be it the death of a parent, bankruptcy, suicidal attempts, child abuse, being homeless, and a whole lot more shit on top of that.

Don't f*cking tell me "nothing happens in shoujo besides romance" because you're dead WRONG, bruh.
ChiibiAug 5, 2019 6:52 PM

Aug 5, 2019 7:24 PM

Dec 2015
Chiibi said:
Shoujo/ josei is BETTER, no doubt about it.

And WHAT is up with shounen loving "snot crying" anyway!? When I cry hard, that doesn't happen to me. it's so gross and a major turn-off

Cygames said:

Quoted for truth. :D

some seinen manga are also really good but most of my collection is shoujo/josei

GrandEgotist said:
because shounen manga usually realize that other things happen in the lives of their characters outside of the romantic. This is such a common flaw in Shoujo manga and anime that I'm honestly surprised that it's still defended. It makes everything flat and lifeless.

I REALLY have no clue what series you're even talking about; even terrible shoujo like Fushigi Yuugi have TONS of subplots going on without romance?

Akatsuki No Yona's main plot is a princess trying to figure out what to do when her father is killed and her kingdom is stolen from her.

Full Moon Wo Sagashite is about a young girl who has terminal cancer, trying to make it into the music industry.

Gakuen Alice is about a corrupt system trying to take advantage of children's magical abilities.

Magic Knights Rayearth is about three school girls trying to save a crumbling fantasy world.

Fruits Basket is about an orphan trying to help cursed beings see the beauty in their lives...(and also undo their curses)

Kodomo No Omocha is about a child actress befriending a delinquent, finding her birth mother after she was abandoned, and dealing with friends who all go through some life-changing event, be it the death of a parent, bankruptcy, suicidal attempts, child abuse, being homeless, and a whole lot more shit on top of that.

Don't f*cking tell me "nothing happens in shoujo besides romance" because you're dead WRONG, bruh.

I mean, I might be generalizing a bit, but your examples are questionable. I'll admit I have no experience with Gakuen Alice or Full Moon wo Sagashite, but Akatsuki no Yona and Magic Knights Rayearth are borderline shoujo at best, Fruits Basket is exactly the type of show I'm talking about, and Kodomo No Omocha is such an exception to the rule that I'm surprised you even thought bringing it up would somehow counter my point. I'm well aware that shoujo exists that are much more well rounded in their presentation, but it's nothing compared to the diversity presented in even generic shounen storytelling.
Dropping your favorite show
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Plushies

_Nette_ - Yesterday

15 by 707supremacist »»
2 minutes ago

» What jobs do you all have? ( 1 2 )

AnxiousMike - Feb 11, 2023

80 by zoeanime13 »»
3 minutes ago

» What anime character would make a good villian in Courage The Cowardly Dog and why?

vasipi4946 - Yesterday

3 by SaiteiDaOrette »»
16 minutes ago

» What are some of your favorite animals?

DoisacChopper - Feb 10

45 by 707supremacist »»
18 minutes ago

Poll: » do you hide or deny your dark side to others or society?

deg - 5 hours ago

11 by Zarutaku »»
19 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.