Forum Settings
Forums

Anime that used to have massive popularity but for some reason died down hardly

New
Apr 12, 2019 2:28 AM
Jul 2018
One thing I have noticed for a while is that we are currently getting newer seasons/reboots of several anime that have not been aired for a long time. However, despite many old fans praising its revival, not a lot of people watch the newer season/reboot. Particularly, because we live in an age where heaps of seasonal anime come out one by one and fans need to see quite a lot of them letting them have no time to return to re-watch anime from 10+ years ago or even watch the revivals of lone gone shows.
While some revivals like Fruits Basket and FLCL as least gain a few more attention than expected, many do not.
Two perfect examples of anime with massive popularity but somehow died down hardly are D Gray Man and Full Metal Panic. D Gray Man was quite popular when it first came out (what can you expect from a freaking battle shonen). Nowadays, we consider the show as a battle shonen that "existed" at one point. Not even the 2016 sequel can save its popularity. The reason for this is probably the author's hiatuses making the manga series quite slow in release dates.
As for Full Metal Panic, its popularity is quite similar to that of above. However, because it had a freaking 13-year hiatus, people have easily forgotten about it. This is also the reason why - spoiler alert!

Finally, I also think shows like Haruhi Suzumiya, Lucky Star, Gurren Lagann and even Code Geass has lost the massive popularity it once had because, well, anime is changing and evolving and people nowadays with rather watch shit like more battle shonen and more harem isekais.

So what anime do you think had lost the massive popularity it once had and why is that?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 12, 2019 3:15 AM

Jan 2014
Trigun is a good example. The reason is very simple, it slips under the radar of younger anime fans.

Apr 12, 2019 3:24 AM

Jul 2007
Well D.Gray-man died off because of the manga's indefinite hiatus. HxH is still popular now because the 2011 anime is still fresh in memory but will probably be in a similar state 5 years from now.
☆☆☆
"There's a huge difference between one and infinity.
However, compared to the difference between
existence and non-existence, one and infinite are
nearly the same. I am the child destined to become
the best witch... no... The greatest Creator in the world...!"
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Apr 12, 2019 3:28 AM

Apr 2019
They die down because they get surpassed by far better recent anime's with the same genre.

D.Gray Man gets surpassed by FMA:B and HxH by popularity
Full metal panic gets surpassed by Code Geass and Gurenn Lagann by popularity

Some of the anime's you mentioned didn't really die down, it's just more than 10years since they were released, so there's no point talking about them other than for the great memories. In other words, they just became a classic.

Then there's anime's that are popular because the manga is still ongoing, once the manga finishes, the popularity goes down.
Nisekoi
Tokyo ghoul
Kuroko no Basuke
The world god only knows
Claymore

As for the topic, recent anime's that come to my mind are
Darling in the Franxx
Goblin Slayer
Slime

Apr 12, 2019 3:30 AM

Mar 2015
Yuri on Ice. It was the hottest anime if the season by a large margin when it aired, but nowadays I don't see anyone even mention it anywhere.
Apr 12, 2019 3:39 AM

Jul 2016
The only thing supporting MHA's popularity are the ongoing seasons. For me, the hype died down the last couple of months.
Apr 12, 2019 4:01 AM

May 2018
Not sure what the OP is trying to say but there are many objective reasons why popular stuff has suddenly declined.

Let's take Haruhi and Full Metal Panic: KyoAni just stopped producing new seasons (maybe the rights holders took the better part of the money?).
Other studios tried to revive them with titles like Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu and Full Metal Panic! Invisible Victory but they invested way less effort with predictable results.

Similar case with Index - the studio stopped producing new seasons and spinoffs waited until the hype diedout and then tried to revive the franchise with the abysmal Index III and the promises about more spinoffs...not gonna happen.

Dororo was making a great job but I think this mid season drop of visual quality wouldn't good for it's popularity.

On the other hand Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199 is the best anime remake ever made.

So for me it depends on the effort and the advertisement. New fans could be recruited from the younger generations but you should know how to appeal to them.
Apr 12, 2019 4:13 AM

Jan 2013
Well Index got a 3rd season after 7 years and pretty much nobody's seen it (1/10th of S2s viewers) so there's another example for you I guess.
Apr 12, 2019 4:18 AM

Nov 2016
Most anime won't be mentioned frequently on the forums, aside from hyped seasonals, some classics or super popular stuff like SAO and long running battle shounen.

Mediocrity dies down fast, that's just how it is.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 12, 2019 4:22 AM

Aug 2017
I'd say Durarara. Probably because it ended and most of the time that is the reason for an animes public downfall.
Apr 12, 2019 5:21 AM

Nov 2011
Hiatuses are indeed a problem for popularity, there is a reason why One Piece and Naruto the most popular series in the world.. Before 2011, no one read Hunter X Hunter, even many fans itself said that Chimera Ant arc is boring and too long, but look now after 2011 series was booming ...
Hiatuses are bad for your series, except you are Miura...

I don't think Code Geass and TTGL are dying though, they are like a classic, people won't easily forget them ...
Jim_HeartApr 12, 2019 5:25 AM
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Apr 12, 2019 5:24 AM

Feb 2010
Everything somewhat old. Not that many people stay anime for longer periods of time (like 10+ years). Many people 'grow out of it' or get tired of it and mvoe on to a new hobby after a few years. So any show that aired at any given time will bleed viewers the moment it stops airing and that bleeding of viewers never stops. The more time passes, the more extreme the discrepancy in popularity. That shouldn't be a surprise.
I probably regret this post by now.
Apr 12, 2019 5:30 AM
Sep 2018
Mirai said:
Yuri on Ice. It was the hottest anime if the season by a large margin when it aired, but nowadays I don't see anyone even mention it anywhere.
wait, until the movie's announced for next year
Apr 12, 2019 5:32 AM
Sep 2018
alshu said:
Not sure what the OP is trying to say but there are many objective reasons why popular stuff has suddenly declined.

Let's take Haruhi and Full Metal Panic: KyoAni just stopped producing new seasons (maybe the rights holders took the better part of the money?).
Other studios tried to revive them with titles like Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu and Full Metal Panic! Invisible Victory but they invested way less effort with predictable results.

Similar case with Index - the studio stopped producing new seasons and spinoffs waited until the hype diedout and then tried to revive the franchise with the abysmal Index III and the promises about more spinoffs...not gonna happen.

Dororo was making a great job but I think this mid season drop of visual quality wouldn't good for it's popularity.

On the other hand Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199 is the best anime remake ever made.

So for me it depends on the effort and the advertisement. New fans could be recruited from the younger generations but you should know how to appeal to them.

why would a studio change the visual quality for the anime that they are creating??? nothing has changed with dororo.
Apr 12, 2019 5:35 AM
Apr 2017
Noragami, alas :( It seemed like a very popular anime, but there was some controversy with the soundtrack of season 2, I think, the manga stopped for a while and I don't know if they will make s3 after it late restart last year.
Apr 12, 2019 7:36 AM

May 2018
prophet_dan said:

why would a studio change the visual quality for the anime that they are creating???

Is that a rhetorical question?
I only can guess they putted more work toward the beginning of the show which left them behind schedule and forced them to halfassed the later episodes.
Some marginal writing too.

prophet_dan said:
nothing has changed with dororo

This is my opinion tho.
Everything was perfectly fine till episode 7 where there was some off model scenes and almost lacking animation.
Similar problems with episodes 8-10 tho my only problem with the later is the oddly choreographed fight with the crab monster.
Nice improvement and return to the initial quality with 11-12 which were important to the plot.
Fast decline with off models and lacking animation in episode 13.

If this was a drama show I wouldn't even notice but it's supposed to an action too.

Also I have seen MAPPA doing something similar with Punch Line. In the earlier episodes the action scenes were superb but toward the end the battles became more informative than spectacular.
Apr 12, 2019 7:41 AM

Feb 2018
Pretty much all sequels lose popularity.
Apr 12, 2019 8:02 AM

Dec 2015
Optigisa said:
The only thing supporting MHA's popularity are the ongoing seasons. For me, the hype died down the last couple of months.

i think the third season definitely killed off most of the hype towards the end, but attack on titan definitely lost more during the second season.

Only thing that is mentioned is maybe the few scenes that were “shocking”? Other than that, not much unlike when season one came out
no
Apr 12, 2019 8:08 AM

Aug 2012
DrunkenHearted said:
Trigun is a good example. The reason is very simple, it slips under the radar of younger anime fans.

It had a movie a few years back
Digital_Shiroi said:
They die down because they get surpassed by far better recent anime's with the same genre.

D.Gray Man gets surpassed by FMA:B and HxH by popularity
Full metal panic gets surpassed by Code Geass and Gurenn Lagann by popularity

Some of the anime's you mentioned didn't really die down, it's just more than 10years since they were released, so there's no point talking about them other than for the great memories. In other words, they just became a classic.

Then there's anime's that are popular because the manga is still ongoing, once the manga finishes, the popularity goes down.
Nisekoi
Tokyo ghoul
Kuroko no Basuke
The world god only knows
Claymore

As for the topic, recent anime's that come to my mind are
Darling in the Franxx
Goblin Slayer
Slime
Claymore suffered from the animators decission to have an original ending instead of waiting for the manga and many fans hated it. Also they could not bring closure as they wrote themselves into a corner.

And to add to the list: Inuyasha Slayers Gokudou Urusei Yatsura
Apr 12, 2019 8:18 AM

Aug 2018
DrunkenHearted said:

I'm currently watching Trigun, and even if I am enjoying it, I must say it has aged pretty bad, it is difficult to see to modern viewers, made to better drawing and animation.

Rurouni Kenshin anyone? It is really well known, and now it is getting a manga sequel, but I think the anime is not as popular as it was in the past. Also, the anime wasn't nearly as interesting as the manga.
Apr 12, 2019 8:25 AM

Jan 2016
Not sure if saying they "died down hardly" is the right word, when I see the word ''hardly' I think 'not much' even though I know OP means 'that they died down hard'. My brain hurts...

Ngl, pretty much every popular anime is in this category imo; it's always about what's airing nowadays and not about what was in the past. Death Note, NGNL etc.

But I think Attack on Titan had a fairly notable drop. Most in the anime community tended to continue watching the series when S2 and S3 came out, but the mainstream popularity AoT had basically dissapeared by the time the continuation came out; most people who aren't into anime but have seen AoT I know haven't watched past the first season.
Apr 12, 2019 8:43 AM
Jul 2018
An anime popularity has about the same life span of a popular meme.
If something is unheard of for a somewhat big period of time it will die off and not have nearly as much popularity as to when it started because that is how the internet works. Giving teasers to a future instalment/spin-off/games, a cameo or any other type of marketing strategy is necessary to keep the fans invested if you want to keep the franchise going but sometimes that is too much of a big financial investment.
Ofc you can always try bank on nostalgia to sell your product, but there is always the big possibility that even a big portion of the old fans moved on.
You mention FLCL gaining a few more attention than expected but honeslty i think it was a big flop, even in the first week that the trailer was shown by Adult Swim it didnt go over 1M views and in terms of MAL stats is pretty apparent that not many people bother watching it despite not being directly tied up to the original.
Unless is a big shonnen title popular in the west like Dragon Ball i doubt it will gain that much popularity. But this doesnt have to be a bad thing, for example Promare (a new trigger movie) used Gurren Lagann as a selling point to gather fans and elDlive used the fact that it was an series made by the same author that did Katekyo Hitman Reborn as promotional material for the anime.
Apr 12, 2019 8:50 AM

Nov 2007
Because we live in a time when battle shounen and isekai harem are dominating the scene. I expect the number of timeless anime to phase out from the west.

But don't mix it with Japan though. Code Geass, Lucky Star, TTGL, Haruhi, ARIA Series, Bebop, CLANNAD, Gintama, CardCaptor Sakura, Sailor Moon, NGE, InuYasha, Fushigi Yuugi, Escaflowne, Original E7, Gundam 079, Gundam SEED, GITS, Utena, Versailles, FMA Original, Natsume, Toradora etc. have rode the passage of time without losing their appeal over there. Their cult status will likely never change. I am excluding OP and DC here because they are still ongoing without any hiatus even though they remain two of the biggest household names in Japan.

The modern day anime that are extremely likely to enjoy their cult status in the future: K-ON, Love Live, SAO, Fate Series, Girls und Panzer, YoI, Monogatari, Madoka, SnK, S;G, T&B, AnoHana, Angel Beats, Granblue, UtaPuri etc.

Maybe I am missing some titles but that's how it is. Most of the ongoing anime we are pouring with praises will eventually fail to maintain their popularity because they are simply not timeless anime.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Apr 12, 2019 9:14 AM

May 2008
there are alot of anime that are currently dead. one of them is soul eater.
Apr 12, 2019 9:21 AM

Jul 2014
Attack on Titan has its fair share of die hard fans, but it's not on top of the world like it was back in 2013/14. I reckon that can be attributed to the four year gap in between seasons 1 and 2.
Take care of yourself

Apr 12, 2019 9:44 AM

Oct 2014
Well you know what they say
"Strike the iron while it is hot"

alshu said:
prophet_dan said:

why would a studio change the visual quality for the anime that they are creating???

Is that a rhetorical question?
I only can guess they putted more work toward the beginning of the show which left them behind schedule and forced them to halfassed the later episodes.
Some marginal writing too.

prophet_dan said:
nothing has changed with dororo

This is my opinion tho.
Everything was perfectly fine till episode 7 where there was some off model scenes and almost lacking animation.
Similar problems with episodes 8-10 tho my only problem with the later is the oddly choreographed fight with the crab monster.
Nice improvement and return to the initial quality with 11-12 which were important to the plot.
Fast decline with off models and lacking animation in episode 13.

If this was a drama show I wouldn't even notice but it's supposed to an action too.

Also I have seen MAPPA doing something similar with Punch Line. In the earlier episodes the action scenes were superb but toward the end the battles became more informative than spectacular.

Not just with Punch line though.
From what I've heard, Yuri on Ice had the same issue in the later episodes
Apr 12, 2019 9:53 AM

Mar 2012
You won't see much non airing anime talked except on recommendation thread. The reason is simply because there are nothing to talk about since most of the topic discussion already talked to death by the time it is airing.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Apr 12, 2019 9:56 AM
Jul 2018
Attack On Titan: the only thing it had going for it, was dramatic music, and characters dying and screaming, so once those elements were disposed of in favor of more focus on the story, people stopped caring.
Apr 12, 2019 9:57 AM

Jul 2013
Someones who come to my mind right now:

Akame ga Kill!: While not nearly as popular as others, here in MAL it was one of the most discussed animes during its airing time, but once it ended, everyone forgot about the series and move on. This was most likely related to the typical seasonal cycle, when an airing anime gets forgotten as soon as it ends, since, again, it wasn't as famous as other animes from this list.

D. Gray Man: It was once as mainstream as other mildly famous Shounen Jump titles, but once the anime ended and the manga became the third member of the hiatus trinity (along with Berserk and HxH) the popularity of the series died down quickly. They tried to revive it with Hallow, but that failed hard, without even the DVD version being released. The manga will probably have a disappointing ending or will directly not end.

Durarara: Was VERY popular around the time the first season aired (2010-2011), the show attracted lots of fans (fangirls especially) and the net started to get filled with Shizaya related shit fanarts, fics, memes and so on. But the popularity didn't seemed to last long, since by the time the sequels were made, many of the old fans lost interest in it and then it ended without much fanfare.

Hetalia: Probably one of the most extremes cases. Just like with Durarara (since it was another fangirl bait show), there was a time (around 2010-2013) were you couldn't go through the internet without finding something related to Hetalia. Fanarts, fics, cosplays, videos etc. Hetalia was everywhere. But there was a point where all the hype with the series misteriously stopped, as sudden as how it started. Nowadays the fandom is completely dead.

Nisekoi: The anime ended, the manga dragged off a lot and lost fans, and the ending of the series left a sour taste in the mouths of the non-Chitoge fans, so the franchise its practically done. We have Gotoubun to fill the void it left, and keep the salt wars alive, however.

Soul Eater: Another battle shounen who was popular during the time where its anime was airing and was soon forgotten a few years after its end. At least we will have the Fire Squad anime.

Also, while I agree that AoT has definitely lost the fame it once had in the community, is it not nearly as bad as the examples I posted.
Apr 12, 2019 10:08 AM

Apr 2018
I think Bleach is a really good example.
It used to be one of the shounen Big Three at the time it was airing, but the constant fillers post-Soul Society Arc really killed the hype for most people.

By the time the Arrancar Saga finally finished (after many filler arc interruptions throughout), viewership dropped off so hard they cancelled it without ever getting to adapt the manga's final arc.

As of today, Bleach has been dead in the water for a while now, with no brand-related new stuff coming out and no signs of the anime ever making a come-back.
Apr 12, 2019 10:20 AM

Jan 2018
Stygian_Prisoner said:
I think Bleach is a really good example.
It used to be one of the shounen Big Three at the time it was airing, but the constant fillers post-Soul Society Arc really killed the hype for most people.

By the time the Arrancar Saga finally finished (after many filler arc interruptions throughout), viewership dropped off so hard they cancelled it without ever getting to adapt the manga's final arc.

As of today, Bleach has been dead in the water for a while now, with no brand-related new stuff coming out and no signs of the anime ever making a come-back.

Bleach's popularity is still really high for a dead series m8. They just released a new mobile game, manga volumes are still selling more than lots of ongoing series, and the fact that Bleach is the 10th best selling manga of all time is no joke.

And about getting the anime continued, there are a lot of rumors tho, so at least a lot of people are still talking about it.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Apr 12, 2019 10:28 AM

Jul 2013
I feel like most of the post-2015 anime died down once the season ended. The only ones that could stay relevant are those that reach the mainstream audience outside of the fandom.
Apr 12, 2019 11:32 AM

Jul 2016
Roronoa said:
Optigisa said:

i think the third season definitely killed off most of the hype towards the end, but attack on titan definitely lost more during the second season.

Only thing that is mentioned is maybe the few scenes that were “shocking”? Other than that, not much unlike when season one came out

I have not watched AOT ever since I watched season 1, did not care much for it or the basement subplot.
Apr 12, 2019 12:14 PM

Jul 2017
Most recent ones are probably Violet Evergarden, Goblin Slayer and DiTF. Don't see too many discussions regarding those lately (especially DiTF after ep14 that was a massive shitshow)
Apr 12, 2019 12:21 PM

Jan 2014
PentagramShogoki said:

I'm currently watching Trigun, and even if I am enjoying it, I must say it has aged pretty bad, it is difficult to see to modern viewers, made to better drawing and animation.

Rurouni Kenshin anyone? It is really well known, and now it is getting a manga sequel, but I think the anime is not as popular as it was in the past. Also, the anime wasn't nearly as interesting as the manga.

90's anime in general aged worse then 80's anime in terms of art due to the low budget of anime studios caused by the financial crisis in Japan. Mainstream audience will barely watch anything that is even <10 years old, so it's interesting to think about which percentage of the anime community explore anime to the point of getting interested in older, but still critically acclaimed titles with a genuinely good story like Trigun or Rurouni Kenshin you mentioned (only till the end of Kyoto arc but that's for another discussion).
Apr 12, 2019 12:27 PM

Sep 2015
I think we should differentiate between anime that naturally falling into obscurity as it gets older and anime gets forgtten a couple of seasons after it ended. Most series listed here are the former.

What immensely popular while being aired and then soon gets forgotten are generally the waifu shows, like recently Darling in the Franxx and Re:Zero. Almost no one'd give a shit about Re:Zero if the sequel wouldn't have been announced and I expect it to under-perform the average sequel in therms of viewership. I'd assume even the LN is lost it's popularity if they had to order an unplanned sequel to boost sales.

Other that I think are fit are Bunny Girl Senpai, Goblin Slayer (it was a meme show and those die fast), Tsuki ga Kirei, Kuzu no Honkai, Erased, Grimgar, Owari no Seraph from the past few years.

It's much more rare for a series to start out as adored and turn into almost universally hated.
Apr 12, 2019 12:29 PM
Oct 2018
pingu in the city?
Not sure if it counts
Reason: All memes eventually die
--
Apr 12, 2019 12:30 PM

Sep 2015
DrunkenHearted said:
90's anime in general aged worse then 80's anime in terms of art
I wouldn't say that in general. There was a huge spread in therms of art quality in the 90s, especially in the second half, but there are still plenty that holds up well.

Ubermensch_ said:
pingu in the city?
Not sure if it counts
Reason: All memes eventually die
It was never popular. The viewer count was low and excluding the troll ratings (both high and low) it's mean score is around 6.3.
Apr 12, 2019 12:31 PM

Sep 2011
I feel like k-on was the go to series eletists would bitch about and point to for the downfall of anime to moe, and something loads of people latched onto, now I dont see virtually anyone mention.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Apr 12, 2019 12:44 PM

Sep 2015
@JizzyHitler
If anything it's status improved over the years. It's not hated, even acknowledged as a cute girls show, it's just not as relevant as it was 10 years ago.
Apr 12, 2019 12:49 PM

Aug 2018
DrunkenHearted said:
PentagramShogoki said:

90's anime in general aged worse then 80's anime in terms of art due to the low budget of anime studios caused by the financial crisis in Japan. Mainstream audience will barely watch anything that is even <10 years old, so it's interesting to think about which percentage of the anime community explore anime to the point of getting interested in older, but still critically acclaimed titles with a genuinely good story like Trigun or Rurouni Kenshin you mentioned (only till the end of Kyoto arc but that's for another discussion).

Sure, some 90s animes look really outdated (is strange how Bebop still looks great even today), and that makes them..., unaccesible for mainstream audience, but I must say it is a shame that animes like Trigun are being forgotten, because I think that if they were remade (or released today), they would receive high audience targets. For example, Fruits Basket has a new adaptation and that's great because I didn't see the 2001 version but I am enjoying this one, and it might recover some popularity (that definately lost time ago).
Apr 12, 2019 12:55 PM

Jan 2014
Heldengeist said:
I wouldn't say that in general. There was a huge spread in therms of art quality in the 90s, especially in the second half, but there are still plenty that holds up well.

Well, I guess we have a different opinions. While I agree with you that there is a lot of gems in 90's, I think that 80's are far more consistent.
Apr 12, 2019 12:55 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
I feel like everything that's been in the past 10 years or so that I'm seeing mentioned here has been stuff I've generally continued hearing about to some degree xP I mean, I still see fucking Rem everywhere from Re:Zero, AoT, Nisekoi, Owari no Seraph, DitF, so on, I've still at least been seeing in things like pic sharing, in some form of discussion, or even just memes. Even Trigun, so Iunno. I kind of feel like people are vastly underestimating staying power.

Goblin Slayer certainly feels this way to me, though. I remember after the first episode and the following two weeks or so, it was everywhere. The forums were melting themselves down, Twitter was a shitshow, dank chat in the H&E server was overflowing with GS memes, and after that initial outburst, it feels completely and utterly forgotten. I don't see characters still being posted about or the show being referenced whatsoever. I feel like I see that to at least some degree with almost every series I've seen mentioned here, sans that single one. I'd already sort of associated it with a completely forgotten show before this thread was made, and I feel like the initial reaction it garnered was ridiculously short-lived.

Like, fuck, even Shield Hero, which has a lot of dumb fucking controversy from this season, at least has been lively with it. I can go into that series' subforum and totally have my day ruined by how awful and petty it feels like people are acting, even now. I don't recall anybody really giving a fuck about Goblin Slayer beyond hyperbolic reactions and hyperbolic counter-reactions to one scene in the first episode, and after that went on for a week or two, it felt like it pretty much went "poof." Completely vanished. Never heard from again.

So yeah, I guess Goblin Slayer will be my pick for a recent-yet-already-forgotten anime. It feels like it had its 5 minutes in the spotlight and then immediately burned out after that, even early on, while it was still airing.
ManabanApr 12, 2019 1:07 PM

Apr 12, 2019 1:17 PM

Sep 2015
DrunkenHearted said:
Well, I guess we have a different opinions. While I agree with you that there is a lot of gems in 90's, I think that 80's are far more consistent.
The 80s have shown some insane improvement in visual quality. We are talking about an entire decade. If we compare things of the same kind (movies to movies, OVAs to OVAs, etc), I think the most biggest difference that the 90s had some really weird trends with character designs.
Apr 12, 2019 1:57 PM

Oct 2012
Well, D.Gray Man was a long-running shounen fight series that never ended, so it stands to reason that as new shows come out with better animation, there's nothing to pull audiences back to D.Gray Man. It wasn't unique enough to stand the test of time.

Full Metal Panic, likewise, hasn't aged well in the art and low resolution, as indicative of anime of that time in general. But more than that, it was a parody anime with a lot of old references that people would have a hard time getting today.

I don't think Haruhi Suzumiya, Lucky Star, Gurren Lagann and Code Geass are unpopular. Maybe they lost the hype from the casuals who moved on. If you ask around, Code Geass and Death Note are still 2 of the animes that many casual anime fans have seen or even started with. For just that, they have a status next to One Piece and DBZ.

Manaban said:
So yeah, I guess Goblin Slayer will be my pick for a recent-yet-already-forgotten anime. It feels like it had its 5 minutes in the spotlight and then immediately burned out after that, even early on, while it was still airing.
Yeah, a lot of people including myself were hoping Goblin Slayer would be the brutal show it was in the first episode. But that quickly subsided into a very generic RPG fantasy/harem. Sometime in the 3-4 episode, for absolutely no reason at all, the girl suggested that all the cool strategies that made the show stand out should not be used, and MC -- in a seemingly complete character break IMO -- agreed. I finished the season, but the show was dead to me from that point.
katsucatsApr 12, 2019 2:02 PM
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Apr 12, 2019 2:16 PM

Apr 2018
More or less any popular anime that hasn't got a new season/reboot/movie in the span of like 5/6 years.
Apr 12, 2019 10:56 PM
Jul 2018
One other reason is that streaming sites are inferior in promoting and advertising series as opposed to mainstream television with a wider audience.
Eg you would have the fansub of a series generating hype for 1-2 years and then you'd have the dubbed version on TV and video, guaranteeing another 1-2 years.
Now you have an immediate release with few months delay for dubs, so hype fades faster.
Apr 13, 2019 2:54 AM

Jan 2009
i think because of too many anime shows coming out each season then popularity is also short term now

recency bias is a thing too so people are more interested on newer shows
May 14, 2019 3:17 PM

Jul 2016
Slam Dunk? Would also add Trigun...
May 14, 2019 4:57 PM

Mar 2018
Every season we have that one anime that everyone watches/love. The next season, oof they're forgotten (or a few seasons past by)
Anime that are already finished with the storyline will die down unless its extremely popular.
I can't think of examples in my head but ik if I look into it, I can find many shows but a example is Ao no Exorcist. It's really popular and few years ago everyone used to talk about it, it had a sequel in 2017 and it didn't amount to huge success compared to the previous show. Anywhere I go, I never hear its name. Only reason I remembered it existed is because scrolling down MAL's most popular list.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Are anime getting worse and worse ?

Shomix - 5 hours ago

12 by traed »»
5 minutes ago

» When did anime become mainstream? Or do you think it's still not mainstream???

LenRea - May 13

35 by Zarutaku »»
13 minutes ago

» Don't you find the obsession with fictional characters in the anime community alarming? ( 1 2 3 )

removed-user - May 10

116 by district_marvel »»
13 minutes ago

» Characters born on the same day/month as you ?

Yonahim_Zz - May 13

34 by MeguSae38 »»
13 minutes ago

» Who is the most overrated villain in anime?

The-Wombat - 4 hours ago

8 by Blackfire2340 »»
22 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.