Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 14, 6:57 PM

Jan 2013
Don't get me wrong , we still get decent number of very cool and interesting anime. My question is more about general anime. It's like everything just repeats. Every story is the same. Some are better some are way worse. I find myself skipping a lot of anime these days, dropping them or just never finishing them. Animation is really down. Kinda feels like there is no more adult themed anime or at least with that adult spice. Feels like anime/manga these days are made for braindead people ( tiktok brain ). I saw a lot of youtubers talk about this topic. Just wanted to see what everybody else thinks. This got on my mind recently when i watched some isekai anime. I was like this is not just the case with isekai anime, even in other genres everything just feels stale. I remember watching Death Note for the first time , I was like how the hell could someone write this, when I watched FMAB for the first time, Baccano, and many more. Anime these days just dont make me feel excited to watch them. Sometimes even feels like a job.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
May 14, 7:10 PM

Feb 2017
I don't think so I'd rather watch newer anime then older anime, also newer anime look alot better then older anime in my opinion 🤷
May 14, 7:26 PM

Oct 2018
The mainstream anime is getting worse, but the average is still the same.
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Perhaps, this is hell.
May 14, 7:36 PM

Apr 2015
When there's tons of copy-paste Isekai per season that somehow get 3-4 seasons despite being the same stuff, I think the answer is obvious.
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
May 14, 7:45 PM
Aug 2018
I don't watch random seasonals, but it seems to me that anime isn't getting worse and worse. It seems to be the same, just with different trends and catching up to modern tastes.

Maybe if I watched every single garbage seasonal show every single season, then I might share the same opinion.
May 14, 7:55 PM

Aug 2010
I don't think so, it's just that there are waaay more anime releasing every season now so there are way more bad anime as well even though there are still a lot of good anime. With that amount of anime, not everyone can watch every single thing so it's easy to miss the good ones, sometimes in favor of watching a worse one. I still get blown away by new anime, the most recent one is Dungeon Meshi that's still airing right now. There were also Fumetsu no Anata e, Ousama Ranking, Oshi no Ko, and Tengoku Daimakyou.
May 14, 7:56 PM

Jul 2013
Implying that anime wasnt shitty to begin with...it has always sucked. And it will suck even more into the future.
May 14, 7:58 PM

May 2019
No, they're not. They're the same they've ever been.
May 14, 8:29 PM

Feb 2020
True. Nowadays I mostly keep watching older shows.
May 14, 8:30 PM

May 2018
I'd say yes but only because of this isekai fad.... that needs to die and quick
can't yuck my yum

May 14, 10:28 PM
ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Aug 2014
I think that anime is getting moved in a direction.
May 15, 12:01 AM

May 2018
In a society where AOT, DS and JJK are considered absolute masterpieces can you even tell what is good and what is bad?

Personally I have watched some good titles lately (autumn 2023 - spring 2024) so I think the things are fine and projects like Kuramerukagari and Kurayukaba give me hope for the future.
May 15, 12:20 AM

Mar 2008
It's an issue of overproduction and globalization.
May 15, 12:49 AM
Apr 2021
It's just a recency bias : no one remembers the shitty shows of the 90's, so when we talk about shows from the 70's to 2000's, we only talk about the good ones. In a decade or so, once nowaday's shitty isekai are forgotten, and only the good shows from the 2010-2020's are remembered, we will be saying how good these decades actually were for anime as well.
May 15, 1:05 AM

Mar 2021
Shomix said:
Don't get me wrong , we still get decent number of very cool and interesting anime. My question is more about general anime. It's like everything just repeats. Every story is the same. Some are better some are way worse. I find myself skipping a lot of anime these days, dropping them or just never finishing them. Animation is really down. Kinda feels like there is no more adult themed anime or at least with that adult spice. Feels like anime/manga these days are made for braindead people ( tiktok brain ). I saw a lot of youtubers talk about this topic. Just wanted to see what everybody else thinks. This got on my mind recently when i watched some isekai anime. I was like this is not just the case with isekai anime, even in other genres everything just feels stale. I remember watching Death Note for the first time , I was like how the hell could someone write this, when I watched FMAB for the first time, Baccano, and many more. Anime these days just dont make me feel excited to watch them. Sometimes even feels like a job.

I remember watching "Akira" for the 1st time in the late 80s and I was like "how the hell could someone write this?" etc... etc...

It's like having sex for the 1st time, after you have done it once before the less exciting it becomes the more and more you have sex throughout your life. The same thing can apply to anything else too.

Take Death Note for example, which was released in 2006. Back in 2006 there was quite a few Anime titles released that year that were pretty good but still that's really only a hand full titles when you see only 156 Seasonal Anime were actually released that year when excluding actual kids shows and Hentai. Then looking at a year like 2023, one can see over 233 Seasonal Anime titles released that year when excluding both kids shows and Hentai.

You should really count how many Seasonal Anime titles you enjoyed released in 2006 and compare that to the Seasonal Anime you enjoyed released in 2023 and see if you still have the same opinion about Anime getting worse and worse.

I have always been under the impression too many Users expect too much from a medium that was never really suppose to be all that serious to begin with. As long as Anime is still entertaining to watch and I enjoy it, I don't expect as much as I see others expect.
ColourWheelMay 15, 1:17 AM
May 15, 1:13 AM

Sep 2016
Shomix said:
It's like everything just repeats. Every story is the same. Some are better some are way worse.
That's a common realization when watching lots of Anime, most Anime are altered reiterations of previous Anime.

Shomix said:
Anime these days just dont make me feel excited to watch them. Sometimes even feels like a job.
That's also common when watching lots of Anime, it's called growing out of it.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
May 15, 1:28 AM

Sep 2018
I always find my fair share of good anime every season, after digging deep enough and carefully selecting what to drop and what to keep. I guess I just like modern anime.
May 15, 1:34 AM
Jan 2024
Nope. When people look back, they tend to think of iconic anime as the representation of what are "Old animes". If you try picking random old anime most of them are not good. People do this with music too. I would argue the average old anime is pretty boring, but people only remember the good ones.
May 15, 1:52 AM

Apr 2020
Sounds more like a burnout issue to me more than anything else. When you reach to the point where you can't watch a single episode, or it feels like a job, it means that it's time to take a break.Also, I don't like isekai either but the whole condition of the genre is more an overproduction issue and its, not something new there was always a genre wich became popular and after some point the majority of the new titles from the said genre were ripoffs of older shows (just take a look at the mecha shows that came out during late 90s and early 00s).Also, you won't be able to enjoy anime in the same way you did years ago that's normal after you watch a lot of shows just search more for shows you will like instead of watching anime at random.
pk8listMay 15, 2:27 AM
May 15, 2:28 AM

Mar 2023
Anime nowadays is both thriving and dying at the same time.
May 15, 2:37 AM

Apr 2011
Nope. You're just watching too many anime.
May 15, 2:53 AM

Dec 2014
The good ones get better with modern budgets and production quality. However the bad ones remain bad, and given the contrast with the good ones appear worse. Also the pile of cookie cutter low budget/B-rate trash seems to be growing each season. I suppose the industry needs to survive off the meagre sales from the mid tier stuff too since not every title is guaranteed to be a banger.

obscureanimefan said:
I think little girls are sexy.
May 15, 3:07 AM

Nov 2023
The artstyle in improving but story wise its turning into safe 7/10 material that Npcs would watch
May 15, 4:00 AM

May 2014
Yes and no. There's way more crappy anime than ever before, but that's only because there's so much anime being made these days. We also have more amazing anime every season now imo. Just ignore the bad anime. I keep finding new favourites to enjoy every year personally.
May 15, 4:57 AM
Jul 2018
Not necessarily, trends are just changing.
May 15, 5:21 AM

Sep 2020
No, I think you are the one who keep watching trash watch better anime like Vinland Saga, Sousou no Frieren, Attack on Titan and Mob Psycho.

I recently watched Dorohedoro it was really good too.
May 15, 5:23 AM

Nov 2019
May 15, 5:32 AM
Apr 2023
Reply to Sphealz
I don't think so I'd rather watch newer anime then older anime, also newer anime look alot better then older anime in my opinion 🤷
@Sphealz is older anime before 2016
May 15, 5:38 AM

Nov 2015
There was a lot of trash anime back in the day, so no.
HACKs! 🤢🤮
May 15, 5:41 AM

Aug 2020
Anime peaked during the Evangelion - end of Fmab period. It's been falling since and is right now at its lowest point since the pandemic.
May 15, 5:44 AM
Propmaker/Etsy

Jun 2014
Yes I have to agree with you, a lot of shows are copy and paste stuff and there isn't that many "good" animes out of the seasonal bunch.
May 15, 6:27 AM

Feb 2017
Reply to WhitebeardP-2
@Sphealz is older anime before 2016
@WhitebeardP-2 I would say older Is before 2010 🤔
May 15, 6:59 AM

Sep 2008
Every era of anime has had its popular trends and genres that studios will milk to the umpteenth degree with the titles they put out. Still will get some worthwhile stuff to come out of each season. Just have to look more carefully for them, though everyone's gonna be subjective with their interests.
May 15, 7:26 AM

Oct 2018
I think that anime has stayed largely the same. I feel like those issues have always existed, but have become more pronounced due to the sheer number of anime being released every season.

Shomix said:
Anime these days just dont make me feel excited to watch them. Sometimes even feels like a job.

This sounds more like burnout due to overconsumption. Take a break and explore other hobbies in the meantime.
May 15, 7:43 AM
Mar 2021
Are anime getting worse and worse ?

In my opinion no but there are many people who are overhyping everything and overvaluing every anime.I am enjoying and some people are stuck in 1990.
May 15, 8:42 AM
Feb 2014
Of course when you are new to anime everything you watch feels fresh and it's normal that when you are younger, you are more easily impressed and amazed with what you see, it's hard to get that excitment back once you've lost it, trust me, it happened to me too, but i think it's more of a ME problem and not actually the fault of anime.

And no, i don't think so at all, i still found new(er) anime which i really enjoyed/loved such as Spy x Family, Paripi Koumei, Vanitas no Karte, Yuukoku no Moriarty, Deca-Dence, Oda Cinnamon Nobunaga and Uchi Tama?! Uchi no Tama Shirimasen ka? for example.

In fact, as far as variety goes, it has gotten much, much better over the years, now it has something for almost every taste as opposed to the past when it was much harder to find something that appealed to me.

You also should be more selective in what you choose to watch as opposed to just watching most/all of the anime in a season.

There's obviously many cookie-cutter/copy-paste carbon copy anime such as most isekai and romcoms, but they are pretty easy to spot and avoid if you wanted.

My Shoujo, Josei and Female targeted anime adaptations starting from 2017+ stacks:

Part 1: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9181
Part 2: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9195
Part 3: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9225
Part 4: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9280
May 15, 8:44 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Just the same I think.

There are always good and bad anime each year or even decade after all

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
May 15, 8:54 AM

Jan 2008
I say this as someone who likes isekai. I would not be surprised if modern isekai as a whole has brought the overall score of anime down.

Regardless though, I'm always still finding something enjoyable to watch and new experiences on a regular basis.
May 15, 9:00 AM

Oct 2019
Shomix said:
Every story is the same. Some are better some are way worse.

When you look at the average seasonal anime, I think the average of now is a lot less interesting than the average anime of early 2000s or 1990s.

BUT

When I look at some of my favourite shows from the past 10 years instead.... shows like death parade, the promised neverland, pluto, akudama drive, made in abyss, sonny boy, mars red, heavenly delusions ,mob psycho 100, and so many more, you see how anime getting worse sounds extremely stupid.

Anytime someone says this, I just have to tell them "anime isn't getting worse, you're just not watching of the good one"

Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
May 15, 9:24 AM

Jan 2013
Reply to ZXEAN
No, I think you are the one who keep watching trash watch better anime like Vinland Saga, Sousou no Frieren, Attack on Titan and Mob Psycho.

I recently watched Dorohedoro it was really good too.
@ZXEAN Brother I watched over 500 anime. And I'm the type of a guy who will always at least give anime a 6 because even if its bad, I respect the effort from animators. And i will even push myself to finish watching something I dont like so I can at least have an opinion on it.Maybe im tired of anime after watching so many, so every anime is the same to me. Nothing really stands out. There are always few gems in a year. Maybe its just me and nostalgia. Its just my view anime are getting somehow worse.
May 15, 9:29 AM

Jan 2013
Reply to APolygons2
Shomix said:
Every story is the same. Some are better some are way worse.

When you look at the average seasonal anime, I think the average of now is a lot less interesting than the average anime of early 2000s or 1990s.

BUT

When I look at some of my favourite shows from the past 10 years instead.... shows like death parade, the promised neverland, pluto, akudama drive, made in abyss, sonny boy, mars red, heavenly delusions ,mob psycho 100, and so many more, you see how anime getting worse sounds extremely stupid.

Anytime someone says this, I just have to tell them "anime isn't getting worse, you're just not watching of the good one"

@APolygons2 I watched every anime you mentioned. I watched more the 500 anime. Im saying that anime these days kinda lack something. Im not talking about huge hits. Im talking about anime that are really badly executed and they still air it. Kinda felt back in the day you had shit anime, but you could still find some appeal to them. Look at all seasonal isekai or fantasy anime getting released. Thats kinda my point. Ofcourse there will always be godtier anime every once in a while.
May 15, 9:31 AM

Jan 2013
Reply to Leer
I think that anime has stayed largely the same. I feel like those issues have always existed, but have become more pronounced due to the sheer number of anime being released every season.

Shomix said:

This sounds more like burnout due to overconsumption. Take a break and explore other hobbies in the meantime.
@Leer i think you are right. Its a burnout. I have my hobbies but i never watched tv shows for example, i always watched anime growing up. It was way more fum then tv shows for me. I guess im kinda sad that i just dont wanna watch anime anymore. Kinda sad that happened to me.
May 15, 9:35 AM

Oct 2019
Reply to Shomix
@APolygons2 I watched every anime you mentioned. I watched more the 500 anime. Im saying that anime these days kinda lack something. Im not talking about huge hits. Im talking about anime that are really badly executed and they still air it. Kinda felt back in the day you had shit anime, but you could still find some appeal to them. Look at all seasonal isekai or fantasy anime getting released. Thats kinda my point. Ofcourse there will always be godtier anime every once in a while.
Shomix said:
Im talking about anime that are really badly executed and they still air it. Kinda felt back in the day you had shit anime, but you could still find some appeal to them. Look at all seasonal isekai or fantasy anime getting released. Thats kinda my point. Ofcourse there will always be godtier anime every once in a while.

Ohhh... that's what you meant.

Then yeah I completely agree with you.

The bad-average anime of older anime feel like they are bad and average due to a lack of competence. But a lot of shit now feels like barely anyone is even trying. It's just generic shlob that I doubt even their creators care about.

There are some ambitious mid-garbage out there, Housing complex C was a solid example of that, but you're right that most of the mid-low tier seasonals are left over dried bread. They are terrible in the most boring possible way.

I need something like evangelion to pop off again. That show single handily made for a boom in experimental cool shit. Tatsuki fujimotot has a chance of kinda doing something similar if his adaptations all get big. so let's hope for it!

Goodbye eri would make a banger satoshi kon style film.

Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
May 15, 9:52 AM

Mar 2021
I mean isn't it the same since always? Every season, 2 (or 3 at best) anime will be worth it while the rest are either mostly just there or just bad.
May 15, 11:38 AM

Jan 2021
you are right, I mostly watch anime that came out in the previous decade

there is a whole lot of anime without any substance nowadays, maybe that was always the case, but never have more anime come out than in recent years

at least fights got better
May 15, 11:49 AM

Jun 2010
I think it's about the same. There will always be a couple of good ones popping out regardless which generation.
May 15, 11:56 AM

Oct 2022
Yep pretty much it's made for gamers and 17 year olds. Mostly of the braindead variety.
MC-kun gets reincarnated as OP.
Villainess gets reincarnated.
MC-kun gets kicked out of the hero's party etc.
Battle Shonen.
Not all of them are bad but they feel very repetitive. I don't watch as much anime these days as 2010-19 I feel like I've seen everything there is to see. Hardly anything I've watched since The Virus has tread new ground. Even stuff like Yuru Camp,, which I'd normally like- I have to admit it's definitely braindead.

The only one that probably has a brain is Spice & Wolf, and after giving up on the original S1, I just don't feel inclined. I'm too dumb to wrap my head around the convoluted medieval economics stuff.... guess I've fallen victim to the brain deadening affects of modern anime too......
May 15, 11:57 AM

Oct 2013
Reply to Za_Panda
I mean isn't it the same since always? Every season, 2 (or 3 at best) anime will be worth it while the rest are either mostly just there or just bad.
@Za_Panda Nostalgia is a bitch. When people look back fondly on older anime, they mostly just think about the shows that were held in high regard. No one remembers all the mediocre stuff that came out back then.
May 15, 12:04 PM
Mar 2024
In my opinion the "isekai reincarnation" genre is getting so much worse, they are just straight copy paste, at one point the future we are going to have a title called "I reincarnated as a condom with level 69 cheat abilities and became a demon lord"
May 15, 12:05 PM

Aug 2018
Probably just recency bias talking. While there are more anime that tends to follow the same formula (looking at you isekai) there are still a similar amount of good anime coming out compared to older seasons.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Do you see value in someone having a "different/unique" favorites list/3x3?

thewiru - Today

36 by thewiru »»
6 seconds ago

» Why there are no Egyptian anime

JoeChip - 6 hours ago

10 by JustMaya »»
19 seconds ago

Poll: » How many times do you give to a seasonal anime?

Zakatsuki_ - Today

28 by DesuMaiden »»
1 minute ago

» Name 2 anime, and tell me a specific lewd thing that would have improved the anime

IpreferEcchi - 11 hours ago

9 by 8oomer »»
19 minutes ago

» 📝 AD Best Seiyuu Contest ( 1 2 3 4 )

Shizuna - Jul 14

178 by Vaturna »»
26 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.