Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jan 7, 2019 3:57 PM

Dec 2016
Seems like the bullshit that started when "Goblin Slayer" aired continues to live with "Rise of the Shield Hero". I just wonder why people suddenly have started to complain about rape and violence in anime when it was always present. Where are these people coming from?

DrSexyJan 7, 2019 4:03 PM
한 번만 살지만 제대로 하면 한 번이면 충분해요
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 7, 2019 4:03 PM
Jul 2018
I mean, it's obvious that if it's a fantasy / Isekai, at some point it will contain an attempted rape or even a rape. People should already know it. Moreover, this is nothing compared to berserk. They had never experienced the nightmare as berserk readers did.
removed-userJan 9, 2019 1:03 PM
Jan 7, 2019 4:18 PM

Apr 2012
My God I hate boring progs so much.

A couple of things. First, your personal sensibilities don't determine what is and what is not acceptable territory for a story to step into. They also don't determine if a story is well written or not.

Secondly, Crunchyroll's first and only priority is to make money. They will, just as they should, continue to license shows that are going to bring in viewership. They aren't a political advocacy group, and pretending otherwise is actually dumb.

I have no idea if Shield Hero is going to be a good show. I haven't watched the pilot, and I haven't read the LN. But the series should be judged on the actual quality of the LN and the adaptation of that LN. Not the ridiculous notion that certain topics are too sensitive to exist in a piece of entertainment.
Jan 7, 2019 5:12 PM

Mar 2018
Tbh your forum avatar is more interesting than this topic
poop
Jan 7, 2019 5:21 PM

Oct 2014
^ It's nothing compared to his profile picture.

I don't believe in the Devil.
You should. He believes in you.
Jan 7, 2019 5:27 PM

Jul 2016
Okay some people don't like a certain anime. What's your point
Jan 7, 2019 5:30 PM

Oct 2012
All the sudden lol, yes people criticizing violence and rapes use in media is a super super new thing.

But really its just what happens when you make violent media. It's happening more with anime now cause its getting more mainstream, but come on, Columbine anyone? People have been blaming public shootings on violent video games for decades. Natural Born Killers was blamed for similar reasons around that time as well. I could go on.

I mean I like a lot of violent media myself personally but the plot as described by that Twitter guy sounds like it might be kind of gross and hateful? I think the way he talks about it is obnoxious too but do you have a point to make other than people who critisize things offend you?
Jan 7, 2019 5:32 PM

Oct 2010
There are 39 threads at the moment in the Shield Hero subforums after a single episode aired but somehow none of them fits your specific niche and you had to create a separate thread in AD?
Jan 7, 2019 5:34 PM

Jul 2015
Those scumbags are literally like a virus, that just kills all fun.

Jan 7, 2019 5:36 PM

Mar 2018
Wtf is this bullshit. This shit really makes me pissed off.

I read the manga and webnovel a few months ago and when I heard that this series was gonna get an adaptation, I thought that there was gonna be a controversy about the woman because she made a false rape accusation, but there is a fucking controversy because the MC wants revenge on the girl that made a false rape accusation against him for no reason and because he has slaves.

What??????

Whats wrong with the MC wanting revenge on the girl that reunited his life? That slut reunited his life for no reason and she does a lot more dusgusting shit later on in the series.

He has slave girls because he needs companions to help him because he can't attack. He chooses to buy a slave because he can't trust other people because op that slut.

I don't understand the contreversy. I did't find Goblin Slayer offensive, but i could understand other people finding it offensive. I just can't understand why people find this offensive.
Evangelion is shit
Jan 7, 2019 5:40 PM

Jan 2018
I think what we're forgetting is that anime in general is problematic. It's not made for the outside world, even if it is shared.
Jan 7, 2019 5:52 PM

Jul 2013
If you read the manga you would understand.

Jan 7, 2019 10:14 PM

Oct 2014
GalacticMagna said:
If you read the manga you would understand.

Understand what exactly? Thd context of the situation in the series? How "problematic" it is?
Jan 7, 2019 10:29 PM

May 2013
The logic is beyond me.

Putting aside the fact that it is fiction, how is false rape a tone deaf choice? Since when did a "tiny-statistical aberration" stand for defining what should and should not be an appropriate story choice?

I didn't know the author's feelings/views about women, that too which are outright assumed based on fiction, were a huge indicator on how good the anime will turn out to be.

This smells very similar to a past feud between a guitar manufacturer (Vik Guitars perhaps) and a band named Cynic, wherein the manufacturer's homophobic comments against the band's frontman automatically became a measure of the "quality" and "choice" of guitars Vik produced.

Apparently being a patron somehow turns you into a person who reinforces or embraces the visions/views of the creator. 10/10 logic.

"weighty choice that relies on context" Rich words. It seems like the human race has a very odd fascination with just about anything that revolves around sex, regardless of whether it is fiction or not.
KreatorXJan 7, 2019 10:34 PM
Truly a Divine Comedy
Jan 7, 2019 10:42 PM

Nov 2013
Those people must learn that the world is not 24/7 operating against them, and that not everyone does something because there is some deep reasoning behind.

The author did this because the idea was interesting, innovative, or maybe because he really hates women, but who cares? This is just an anime, this will change absolutely nothing in the world.

If their feelings are so fragile, maybe they are the ones that should check if the source material is "safe", or just stick with their inclusive shows. Or they should spend this energy that they waste on the internet trying to help the REAL people around the world that are suffering.
Jan 7, 2019 10:49 PM

Nov 2011
Good thing japanese doesn't give a shit about western world SJW. Cry some more, the world doesn't revolve around you.

Jan 7, 2019 10:49 PM

Dec 2016
Tapertrain said:

My point is that people shouldn't try to censore a show just because they didn't like one aspect of it. If they didn't like the show that's fine but they are asking companies to not distribute shows because "muh feelings"
한 번만 살지만 제대로 하면 한 번이면 충분해요
Jan 7, 2019 10:55 PM

May 2015
Zircon_Lotus said:

The author did this because the idea was interesting, innovative, or maybe because he really hates women, but who cares?

*She.

Gee, I wonder where all these complainers were when Jigoku Shoujo came out...
Jan 7, 2019 11:15 PM

Jul 2016
DrSexy said:
Tapertrain said:

My point is that people shouldn't try to censore a show just because they didn't like one aspect of it. If they didn't like the show that's fine but they are asking companies to not distribute shows because "muh feelings"

He's not calling for censorship. Also, he does not have the power to censor

We still have our Goblin Slayer. We still have Senran Kagura .
Jan 7, 2019 11:21 PM

Jan 2017
Oh god. Not again with this fucking debate. You guys got baited hard by that tweet, a tweet which has zero influence in the studio's decision.
Jan 7, 2019 11:25 PM

Jan 2016
I find it disturbing that people are getting up-in-arms about an anime when there’s actual child sex traffickingーthat happens every day...
▾ Check Out My Original Series ▾

▾ Check Out My Blog ▾
Jan 7, 2019 11:27 PM

May 2013
LunaPrecure said:
I find it disturbing that people are getting up-in-arms about an anime when there’s actual child sex traffickingーthat happens every day...

At this point, twitter is all about attention-whoring.
Truly a Divine Comedy
Jan 7, 2019 11:49 PM

Nov 2013
Like Tarotist already pointed out, the author is a woman. I wonder what these people would make out of that.

They have always been there. But the Internet gives them more opportunity to spread their drivel.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Jan 7, 2019 11:55 PM

Nov 2013
LunaPrecure said:

I agree. It's just that dealing with that topic requires effort. Complaining about something, that has ultimately no impact on real life, is so much easier.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Jan 8, 2019 12:03 AM
Apr 2018
Tsunshine-Chris said:
I think what we're forgetting is that anime in general is problematic. It's not made for the outside world, even if it is shared.

Only the female side of anime is “problematic”
Jan 8, 2019 12:06 AM

May 2018
In episode one the MC doesn't seeks actively for revenge tho.
He just wants to survive and eventually return to his world.

Owning a slave girl is bigger issue even he eventually doesn't treat her like one.
Jan 8, 2019 12:12 AM

Oct 2013
I wanna let you guys know that... Things will be great from there. Its exciting! Trust me I'm a manga reader.
Jan 8, 2019 12:16 AM

Jan 2017
xchyssa said:
I wanna let you guys know that... Things will be great from there. Its exciting! Trust me I'm a manga reader.

Amen to that. If there is any series out there which soothes your throbbing justice boner, it is Shield Bro.
Jan 8, 2019 1:30 AM
Jul 2018
Shield Hero is shit so I don't really give a damn.
Jan 8, 2019 2:21 AM

Jun 2008
Sorry, but I’m OFF the “SJW Histeria” train...

This is ONE random motherfucker online giving a retarded opinion.

Who cares?

Does Japan care? Does the studio care?

I can guarantee you 100% they absolutely DO NOT!

So why should I care what he says?

BTW, as an ecchi fan that LOVES seeing 2D girls get sexualized and overtly “objectified” I think I’m an expert in this field.

If you don’t like seeing fictional cartoons doing fictional things, then simply go away.

And conversely, if you hear people making a big fuss about “oh noes, how dare they do such things to cartoon characters” I sincerely advise you to just ignore them.
Jan 8, 2019 2:59 AM

Oct 2010
TheBigGuy said:
Like Tarotist already pointed out, the author is a woman. I wonder what these people would make out of that.

This shouldn't really change anything of the discourse both for those who liked it and for those who hated it, but last time I checked this was just a speculation based on the name of the author, which could very well be a pseudonym. As usual the actual identity of the author remains hidden.
jal90Jan 8, 2019 3:03 AM
Jan 8, 2019 3:03 AM

Mar 2016
God I fucking hate Social Justice Warriors. Fuck them and their PC culture. It's all virtue signaling. When you look deeper into their profiles you'll find contradictions, double standards and hypocrisy.
NANACHO FOR PRESIDENT
Jan 8, 2019 3:05 AM

Jan 2016
People have been doing terrible things since the beginning of time. Shield Hero is echoing what has been repeatedly addressed in media; billions of times, for hundreds of years. False rape accusations happen. Human (child) sex trafficking happens.

Condemning an anime is not going to make a difference with social issues.

People have combatted my argument by saying that “media is a reflection of society’s values,” but if that’s the case, people should fight the beast itself... instead of thinking that a cartoon will somehow create more rapists and pedophiles and rape sympathizers.

I actually think that fiction helps to bring these issues to light.

I think the biggest issue that @ActionZacku has in this post is that he thinks that a pro LGBTQ+ series is more helpful than a series that might adversely be empowering for those who have had to go through the humiliation of false rape accusations or the objectification of human trafficking.

Often dark series have helped me deal with my own personal demons; to list a few: Berserk, Oyasumi Punpun, Aku no Hana, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Warau Kyuuketsuki, and Texhnolyze helped me accept the reality of my past trauma(s).

The above post assumes that things that are not relatable to them are “regressive,” while a genre and topic that suits their fancy is “progressive.” That’s absurd. I’ve known people, in the past, who use guro art to keep from self-harmingーwhile others think that it’s degenerative. It doesn’t matter if something offends you personally, as long as other people enjoy it. End of story.
EggheadLunaJan 8, 2019 3:08 AM

▾ Check Out My Blog ▾
Jan 8, 2019 3:22 AM
Jan 2019
It's such a cheap tool for bad writers and a terrible excuse for backstory. It's up there with "her husband died" and "she's literally just trying to prove she's strong" as the most cliche, overdone and stupid character motivations. If you wanna write a story, learn to actually write and don't rely on literally the most cliche backstory in the history of writing.
Jan 8, 2019 3:37 AM

Nov 2011
Having slaves is more a question of writing laziness than writing ethics. Slaves are about the least interesting, most practical way to have characters who do not need to be developed but will stay with the protag until the author brings along some plot event that necessitates otherwise.

Them all being women is just an unfortunate side effect of this being produced by animanga culture. Of course they’re all women. I’m not sure implying that it’s intentionally sexist is fair, though. I think it’s more an unintended consequence.

It could have a better setup for sure. Can’t say whether the show will be fun to watch or not, though. I don’t have any current plans to watch it, myself.
Jan 8, 2019 4:06 AM

Jan 2016
Well, I'm sitting on here, waiting for Domestic na Kanojo.
Jan 8, 2019 4:59 AM

Feb 2012
Anyone still taking ANN seriously ought to get a reality check. It is a political activist site.

As for the anime, it sounds more along the lines what people would call "edgelord". That is, the authors, mangaka, studios etc. are putting dramatic spins on average anime tropes to make them potentially more interesting. I doubt they care or even know about the internal politics of a small part of United States, much like the rest of the world doesn't.
Jan 8, 2019 5:06 AM

Feb 2018
Ok so who cares ?
I mean this is one dude stating his opinion, that's it.
Disliking certain types of media is totally legitimate, ofc you don't have to ageee with him.
All I see here is a bunch of people getting offended by someone's tweets.
Jan 8, 2019 5:07 AM

Feb 2010
Good job OP at generating a shitstorm for no reason and giving exposure to some random twitter account that nobody would have given a shit about otherwise. Once again, it might be some random SJW having questionable opinions, but it's always someone else who actually spreads the word for them and generates the shitstorm for no reason, trying to make it into a bigger issue than it actually is because it probably serves their right-wing agenda if everything thinks leftists are extremist nutcases so whenever they find an example they make sure it goes around the world and everyone thinks 'everyone on the left must be like that, what a bunch of pricks'.

That being said those posts are obviously retarded. It reads like he's saying anyone mentioning or including the topic of false rape accusations is inherently misogynistic because...?

This constant, forced politicization of fiction needs to stop, and on both sides. The alt-right is just as bad at projecting their political biases into fiction as these SJWs are, they just choose different targets and worry about different topics, but it's not a one-sided phenomenon like many people who enjoy complaining about anything progressive often make it out to be. It's cancer on both sides but almost everybody is a slave to their political biases and only complains about it when the 'other' side is doing it, like a true hypocrite.
AlcoholicideJan 8, 2019 5:14 AM
I probably regret this post by now.
Jan 8, 2019 5:10 AM
Jul 2018
Vecko said:
God I fucking hate Social Justice Warriors. Fuck them and their PC culture. It's all virtue signaling. When you look deeper into their profiles you'll find contradictions, double standards and hypocrisy.

Preach! Preach! Preach!
This show will be become a hit from bad publicity just like Goblin Slayer and I'll be here giggling like the troll I am.
Jan 8, 2019 6:29 AM

Jan 2016
Pullman said:
Good job OP at generating a shitstorm for no reason and giving exposure to some random twitter account that nobody would have given a shit about otherwise. Once again, it might be some random SJW having questionable opinions, but it's always someone else who actually spreads the word for them and generates the shitstorm for no reason, trying to make it into a bigger issue than it actually is because it probably serves their right-wing agenda if everything thinks leftists are extremist nutcases so whenever they find an example they make sure it goes around the world and everyone thinks 'everyone on the left must be like that, what a bunch of pricks'.

That being said those posts are obviously retarded. It reads like he's saying anyone mentioning or including the topic of false rape accusations is inherently misogynistic because...?

This constant, forced politicization of fiction needs to stop, and on both sides. The alt-right is just as bad at projecting their political biases into fiction as these SJWs are, they just choose different targets and worry about different topics, but it's not a one-sided phenomenon like many people who enjoy complaining about anything progressive often make it out to be. It's cancer on both sides but almost everybody is a slave to their political biases and only complains about it when the 'other' side is doing it, like a true hypocrite.

Hopefully, one day, people will realize that political alliances are trivialーat best. Good post.
EggheadLunaJan 8, 2019 6:50 AM

▾ Check Out My Blog ▾
Jan 8, 2019 6:38 AM

Nov 2011
Pullman said:

Maybe you were talking generally, but do you happen to have any examples of this off-hand? I’d be interested in looking at them if you do.
Jan 8, 2019 6:46 AM

Apr 2018
TheBigGuy said:

Ahahhahahaha lmao

Anyway, I agree with more or less everything that has already been said, the guy is braindead and SJW should keep their stigma away from the anime community.
Jan 8, 2019 8:18 AM

Feb 2010
TripleSRank said:
Pullman said:

Maybe you were talking generally, but do you happen to have any examples of this off-hand? I’d be interested in looking at them if you do.

how about every time someone calls a show 'sjw' because it has elements like, idk, strong females, homosexuality or anything else that isn't white, male and heterosexual? Or the whole High Guardian Spice discourse based on a 1:30 trailer?

There's plenty of people who call anything 'sjw propaganda' that has ANY elements in it that can be considered 'progressive' by the right-wing (strong females, homosexuality of any sort, non-white characters or actors in important roles etc ('blackwashing')...), be it Steven Universe, the Saga comics, the movie Get Out, the Ghostbusters remake or just Netflix or modern comics as a whole, or any gaming executive making any decisions towards more diversity or less fanservice in their games. It's always SJW conspiracies and propaganda, and never individual decisions by individual creators who simply want to do something. The only way to not have complaints like that, is to only make stories about white males and their subservient female counterparts because everything is else is apparently forcing your progressive SJW values on poor audiences against their will for manipulative reasons. And if you do that then ofc the other side will attack you and accuse you of all kinds of stuff. It's like you can't write fiction anymore without one side or the other (or even both in some cases like SU) ranting about it being political propaganda. It disgusts me to constantly see fiction abused like that by people who probably couldn't care less about fiction and just see it as another platform to fight their political battles.

I'm surprised you seem surprised by this and couldn't think of any examples yourself tbh. Once you go outside the 'anime bubble' you see it everywhere. I could list dozens of more movies, books, comics, series, franchises, games where I've seen people accuse them of being nothing bu SJW propaganda just like this guy accuses Shield Hero of spreading misogyny.
Jan 8, 2019 8:27 AM

Oct 2010
The only problem is that we don't have enough controversial anime. I love to be "offended" by fiction, that means that they did their job perfectly. In Hellsing they should have included in Alucard's flashback some Turks raping Romanians, that would be awesome and grotesque. This shield hero is nothing. Move on.
Jan 8, 2019 8:29 AM

May 2015
people are just extremely over sensitive nowadays compaired to before. If theres a reason to complain even if its the littlest thing people will complain. thats just how it is.
My Candies:
Jan 8, 2019 8:30 AM

Feb 2010
Catalano said:
The only problem is that we don't have enough controversial anime. I love to be "offended" by fiction, that means that they did their job perfectly. In Hellsing they should have included in Alucard's flashback some Turks raping Romanians, that would be awesome and grotesque. This shield hero is nothing. Move on.

The thing about loving to be offended is that it can lead to people choosing to get offended by literally anything since taking offense is something subjective that happens in the mind of the viewer, it's never inherent to a show. So if you're determined enough, you can get offended by pretty much everything and that's just pointless and obnoxious.
Jan 8, 2019 8:36 AM

Apr 2015
I've never understood all of this fuss over fictional stories when we've got real problems to deal with all around us. If an anime's subject matter puts you off, don't watch it.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Jan 8, 2019 8:37 AM

Nov 2016
CatSoul said:
I've never understood all of this fuss over fictional stories when we've got real problems to deal with al around us.

Some people love to ignore their actual problems, tho.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 8, 2019 8:38 AM

Oct 2010
@Pullman well, you're not wrong, you can be offended by anything if you have some inner demons. People should just accept media as it is and stop with the conspiracies.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 15, 2019

219 by SanessyAdversary »»
Yesterday, 9:01 AM

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 8, 2019

236 by SanessyAdversary »»
Apr 24, 7:06 AM

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 1, 2019

292 by SanessyAdversary »»
Apr 23, 8:46 PM

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 24, 2019

270 by SanessyAdversary »»
Apr 23, 6:36 AM

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 17, 2019

355 by SanessyAdversary »»
Apr 22, 9:49 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.