Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 1, 2018 6:52 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Very intense and emotional episode! Not just with Masaru covered in blood but also that Shirogane and Narumi ends up being captured.

It gave time to show what Masaru has to accomplish on his own. While I can't say he's a great fighter, he's definitely very determined. Interesting to see more of Shirogan's past again. I think these flashbacks are important to her character as it allows the audience to understand Shirogane more.

Glad to see them reuniting though and as a trio, they're really tough together as a team. Narumi also really earned my respect this episode with the way he protected Masaru.
Nov 1, 2018 8:16 AM

Oct 2017
Can't find any sub version :(

Anyway, after this episode, I expect some major cut in terms of story afterward because there's only 36 episodes , but there're too many way more important things to cover than the next few chapters. I probably would do an analysis of what is cut/ what characters vanishes or something.
Ventus_SNov 1, 2018 8:23 AM
Nov 1, 2018 8:40 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
HOLY FUCK, WHAT JUST HAPPENED?
Nov 1, 2018 8:55 AM

Oct 2017
Ok just finished this episode.

Gonna mention quite a few detail about what part is skipped in this episodes.

First of all, Masaru is actually a genius who can remember anything after seeing it once, so by just looking at Shirogene control the puppet once , he remembers all the necessary steps to control it despite usually it takes years of training to do so. But all he can do at that point is mimicking the position by hard-coded all the positions into his brain. He also learns the key position of Norumi's combat position when he hit his uncle.

Also the anime skip the part where Masaru forgave his uncle despite Norumi tries to punch him hard for all the bad things he did, and Norumi told Masaru that he has become a good man.

Btw, Masaru survives the fall by trying to grab the tree branches during his fall

Also they skip another scene where Masaru was entangled by the tight ropes and got more wounds, and this is when Norumi is really pissed up

Another big oversight that leaves people with so much question mark in last scene is there's actually an underground pipeline in the bottom of the house, and Narumi broke the wall so the water can get in. That's why Masaru can survive in the fire.

I seriously don't know why the hell the studio skip this part which takes 20 seconds to add in to make the plot makes more sense. Also why not spend like 10 seconds mentioning Masaru has hyper memory?

I strongly recommend people to go check vol 3 of manga to see every details skipped in this episode. I can only say, yeah, 36 episodes is too harsh for this adaptation... Skip too much and make the intense sequence very weird...
Ventus_SNov 1, 2018 5:02 PM
Nov 1, 2018 9:18 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Wait, what on Earth just happened?
What a legitimately frightening cliffhanger that was!

Damn, things sure got hectic in this episode. Narumi and Shirogane getting caught early made it really difficult for Masaru to capatalise but phew he did a great job! Secretly a Genius, too! It was awesome to see him fight back against his uncle with a Narumi special, that was one quick turn of events though. Shirogane got a bit of the spotlight too and that was nice to see! Her past, especially the locked up part, sure was creepy and the music accompanying the scene made it one heck of a moment. Plenty of fights too in this episode and they were great! Narumi showed his true potential in this episode and they were glorious! Breaking through steel cages and standing the burning debris felt kind of over the line but it didn’t bother me too much, to be frankly honest. Also, I wonder if the antagonists managed to survive.
About the ending though, ... what the actual fudge was that? Narumi’s short farewell to Shirogane sort of set up a flag, now that I think of it, but the final scene was just extreme. Even after death(?), he was still protecting Masaru, now that’s something! I’m eagerly looking forward to seeing the next episode now!!

It was a masterful ride of emotions kind-of-episode overall, besides the little convenience factor which was undoubtedly essential but it felt forced at times.
_MushiRock11_Nov 1, 2018 9:26 AM
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Nov 1, 2018 9:23 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Ventus_S said:

First of all, Masaru is actually a genius who can remember anything after seeing it once, so by just looking at Shirogene control the puppet once , he remembers all the necessary steps to control it despite usually it takes years of training to do so. But all he can do at that point is mimicking the position by hard-coded all the positions into his brain. He also learns the key position of Norumi's combat position when he hit his uncle.

Also the anime skip the part where Masaru forgave his uncle despite Norumi tries to punch him hard for all the bad things he did, and Norumi told Masaru that he has become a good man.

Btw, Masaru survives the fall by trying to grab the tree branches during his fall

Also they skip another scene where Masaru was entangled by the tight ropes and got more wounds, and this is when Norumi is really pissed up

I strongly recommend people to go check vol 3 of manga to see every details skipped in this episode. I can only say, yeah, 36 episodes is too harsh for this adaptation... Skip too much.

Oh, thanks for the breakdown! I just knew Masaru’d be a Genius after seeing all that.
Guess I’ll have to check the manga side by side with this weekly then. A lot of the things you’ve mentioned kind of makes the whole turn of events more coherent.
I’m sad that this adaption will only receive 36 Episodes because I see a lot of potential for this story. Let’s just hope we get a Season 2 somehow with a cour or two.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Nov 1, 2018 9:45 AM

Jun 2014
I'm still trying to process what the fuck I just watched...........

Also, is there a reason why Narumi's left arm managed to survive the fire?
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Nov 1, 2018 9:57 AM
Mar 2016
more awesome in the manga, but still fun, now to see the abomination that the next chapters have prepared to us...
Nov 1, 2018 10:04 AM
Mar 2016
by the way, have you noted that the opening of the series "gekkou" has the same name of another fujita series "gekko joureei" .Could this be a signal that they eventually will adapt gecko joureei?
Nov 1, 2018 10:13 AM

Oct 2016
Ventus_S said:

I strongly recommend people to go check vol 3 of manga to see every details skipped in this episode. I can only say, yeah, 36 episodes is too harsh for this adaptation... Skip too much and make the intense sequence very weird...

dude. real thx for the input. i for sure was gonna enter "anime logic" mode. glad i came to this forum first. i'm kinda lazy to check the manga. maybe someday.

this show/adaptation really has the potentials and quite good currently, for me. but if the studio is gonna do more lazy skips, viewers wont turn a blind eye anymore.
Nov 1, 2018 10:53 AM

Nov 2007
I just slapped a hand in front of my mouth and I'm surpassing my tears because I had no idea that this would happen...
LyfaNov 1, 2018 11:39 AM
Nov 1, 2018 11:21 AM

Jun 2009
wow such an ep full of emotions and action loved it that ashihana joined the group i think he fits in well ... and the end really hurt my hard too see the boy holding onto the arm like this made me teary
Nov 1, 2018 11:29 AM

Dec 2016
Masaru really might be one of the most badass little kids in anime fr fr
TheFreycookNov 1, 2018 11:37 AM
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Nov 1, 2018 11:32 AM

Feb 2016
Ventus_S said:

Another big oversight that leaves people with so much question mark in last scene is there's actually an underground pipeline in the bottom of the house, and Norumi broke the wall so the water can get in. That's why Masaru can survive in the fire.

I seriously don't know why the hell the studio skip this part which takes 20 seconds to add in to make the plot makes more sense. Also why not spend like 10 seconds mentioning Masaru has hyper memory?

Thank you kind sir, things make more sense now. Maybe the next episode will explain things that they skipped here, they probably did that to add more tension and mistery to the episode rather than focusing on exposition.
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Nov 1, 2018 11:33 AM

Feb 2016
Narumi ;_; you are the MVP of this episode ;_;
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Nov 1, 2018 11:34 AM

Feb 2014
Four episodes in and we already lost the guardian? Damn its all suspense now.
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Nov 1, 2018 11:41 AM

Sep 2017
HOLY FUCK THEY PULLED A KAMINA.

In all seriousness though, by what I can see in these comments they did skip a lot of details that would make the series a bit better, like explaining Masaru's genius brain or adding how he survived the fall, as well as Narumi putting out the fire. As they say, quality is in the details, and by not showing this things Masaru surviving the fall and the fire seem like asspulls and dumb luck. I don't know why they left them out. However, I'm still enjoying this series and I want to see where Masaru's character goes next.
Nov 1, 2018 12:08 PM

Jan 2017
Can't believe they killed off a character that had given Masaru a hand like that only four episodes in. :"{

Nov 1, 2018 12:33 PM

Aug 2011
This was a really intense episode. So much happened that it really should have been split across 2 episodes. I must admit after I watched the first episode (and watched the rest today) the anime wasn't so big on my list to watch but it just got a major jump.

Anyway, 36 weeks of anime for a 400+ chapter manga series... This series is one of those from the late 1900s (which I believe to a time period of excellent shounen series) that should not disappoint if they go according to the original series.

The ending of this episode... I refuse to accept it!!
Narumi will return I believe. right?
Nov 1, 2018 12:52 PM

Dec 2014
wait what ...Narumi...did he just... I can't even hmmm
Nov 1, 2018 1:29 PM

Aug 2016
Damn, can't believe they might have actually killed off Narumi.

I gotta call bullshit on the kid replicating the fight moves and puppet moves. He might have a perfect memory, but that doesn't mean you body can replicate movements you've seen and remembered.
“I just spent the last two years thinking that you guys knew more than me about life and I just found out that you guys are just as dumb as me.” “Duh-doy.” “Yeah, duh-doy.”
Nov 1, 2018 1:34 PM
Jul 2018
props to Ventus_S's comment for mentioning the missing details. Wish they could add those but still I don't see any room for adding those within this limited duration since there is barely any fillerish moments that way some of the executions could been more interesting but still I think some parts hopefully will get address in later episodes or perhaps come to make sense as the show gradually progress.

That cliffhanger was one heck of scary with Masaru waking up seeing his arm holding which thickens the plot (and mystery) that marks the actual main plot will develop from here very slowly.
removed-userNov 1, 2018 1:37 PM
Nov 1, 2018 1:35 PM

Jun 2015
What the actual arm happened there.
Nov 1, 2018 1:41 PM
Nov 2018
JokerVentura said:
Damn, can't believe they might have actually killed off Narumi.

I gotta call bullshit on the kid replicating the fight moves and puppet moves. He might have a perfect memory, but that doesn't mean you body can replicate movements you've seen and remembered.

It also stated that he has extremely high concentration that he always push his body over his limit. Your statement about the body cannot cope out the movement that he remembered will be a plot point in the later series where he met much stronger enemies.

Some missing details is the comedic moment between Narumi and Shirogane's moment where Narumi tried to defuse the bomb with brute force and Shirogane tried to stop him.

Cowboy puppet enemy that guard the elevator door after Masaru and Ashihana got up to the pagoda.

4 puppeteers enemies (including the one that punched by Narumi) on the top of the pagoda have cut into 2 in anime adaptation. One of the puppet even is the instrument to create rope way escape.

Shirogane/Eleonor's battle on the top of the pagoda. She destroyed one of them easily and got hit because she blocked the attack from Masaru.
HUNK1984Nov 1, 2018 1:52 PM
Nov 1, 2018 1:57 PM

Nov 2016
Great episodd again, but wtf did happen ?

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Nov 1, 2018 2:07 PM

Sep 2011
I can't believe how emotionally charged every single episode has been so far, just like I can't believe the ending of this one.

First, Shirogane's trauma, and pain are even bigger than what I thought. It's no wonder she really wants to protect Masaru, after all his grandfather treated her as a human, or at least, like he wanted her to "become" one, and she's trying to learn to smile through Masaru. And she was getting closer to Narumi too, I was really shipping them, their scenes were great, like how she felt his warmth.

He was the one that shone the most in this episode too, after Shirogane did most of the cool work in the previous ones, but now he's seems to be truly gone, this can't be, did he really die a horrible death, just burning away like that?

Masaru seems to be gifted too, and I loved how he hired Ashihana, and was doing his best to save Shirogane, and Narumi even though they were the ones trying to save him in the first place, but I'm shocked to say the least.
Nov 1, 2018 2:15 PM

Mar 2016
Oh, this end... Narumi was a really nice person, I feel so sad for him...
Nov 1, 2018 2:36 PM

Mar 2013
miguitronik said:
Here you go

They did cut a lot of things in this episode, hopefully that will allow them to adapt more faithfully what follows, since that part was just an introduction. There's no way they could adapt the entirety of the manga in 36 episodes anyway, but probably just the first half.
Nov 1, 2018 3:09 PM

Oct 2017
Gwallamzer said:
miguitronik said:
Here you go

They did cut a lot of things in this episode, hopefully that will allow them to adapt more faithfully what follows, since that part was just an introduction. There's no way they could adapt the entirety of the manga in 36 episodes anyway, but probably just the first half.

I sincerely hope they end this right after the end of Desert arc...
That seem to be the most appropriate place to end with 36 episodes..

Seriously trying to adapt everything is suicide mission. half of the minor casts that actually have a very good side story are gonna vanish. (And some of those are quite important for the later part too cuz they have contributions to the final few battles)
Ventus_SNov 1, 2018 3:17 PM
Nov 1, 2018 4:01 PM

Mar 2016
My heart just SANK like a stone when it showed Masaru turning around to see if Narumi is still there.........and there's nothing but his arm that was still holding him...

UGH, I got flashbacks of Kamina's death from Gurren Lagann, even though in retrospect, I don't think Narumi actually died.

Either way, that was one WTF intense episode.
Nov 1, 2018 4:03 PM
Apr 2015
Gwallamzer said:
miguitronik said:
Here you go

Nah
They take the important things
Good job studio voln
Nov 1, 2018 4:40 PM

Jun 2012
Jesus. Fucking. Christ.

When they started dropping death flags about Narumi, I just...I couldn't believe it, why would they kill a great character off in Episode 4?
And then. That arm.
I guess it's too much to hope for that Narumi might be alive with one less arm, lol.
Nov 1, 2018 5:29 PM

Jul 2013
Well, I was about to mourn Narumi 's sacrifice, but then I realized
Nov 1, 2018 5:48 PM
Jan 2016
Another tears come out for this episode 😢 i'm still waiting for the eps. 5 preview.
Nov 1, 2018 6:19 PM
Mar 2017
It was a good episode today, Shirogane and Narumi manage to meet with Masaru.
The development of Masaru is incredible, this kid has an incredible ability to analyze and learn, he was able to control Arlequin without any problem.

The end was unexpected and very sad, I never expected this result, Masaru's face moved me to see him embrace what is left of Narumi, I think that today a hero is gone, but I hope he comes back.
I do not know what to expect next episode.
Nov 1, 2018 6:28 PM

Jun 2009
PLS TO ALL MANGA READERS

CAN SOMEONE UST TELL ME OUT OF CURIOUSITY IF ASHIHANA STAYS OR SHOWS UP LATER AGAIN IN THE SHOW PLS ?

been awhile soo i dnt remember much
Nov 1, 2018 6:36 PM

Apr 2016
Excuse me what the fuck? That came outta left field....
Nov 1, 2018 6:44 PM
May 2016
What just happen ? This is not real god damn it !!!
Nov 1, 2018 8:28 PM

Aug 2016
Because it will be that this reminded me of Kamina from TTGL
Please, I do not want to suffer again with that.
Nov 1, 2018 8:39 PM

Jul 2017
It's been a long ass time since an anime has legitimately shocked me. That episode was one of my favorites of this year. Fucking brilliant episode all the way around.

That cliffhanger :(
Nov 1, 2018 9:08 PM

Aug 2013
MY FUCKING HEART RIGHT NOW
Don't believe the hype.
Nov 1, 2018 10:46 PM

Aug 2012
Illyricus said:
Well, I was about to mourn Narumi 's sacrifice, but then I realized

I was shocked at the end of the episode but then I came here and saw that too
Nov 2, 2018 12:40 AM

Mar 2009
holy shit that ending. WELP. Certainly wasn't expecting that. I thought he was one of the main characters?

Nov 2, 2018 3:00 AM

Jun 2009
PLS TO ALL MANGA READERS

CAN SOMEONE UST TELL ME OUT OF CURIOUSITY IF ASHIHANA STAYS OR SHOWS UP LATER AGAIN IN THE SHOW PLS ?

Nov 2, 2018 3:45 AM
Nov 2018
Kannei said:
PLS TO ALL MANGA READERS

Mod edit: added spoiler tag
BrandonNov 10, 2018 9:37 AM
Nov 2, 2018 6:17 AM
Nov 2014
miguitronik said:

Thought the same, can't imagine the anime being fun/interesting anymore. It was a trio and now it's not.
Nov 2, 2018 6:25 AM

Jul 2017
There’s so much poor writing and inconsistent moments in this show, that my suspension of disbelief is broken.

Masaru’s development from a crybaby to a boy with the eyes of a beast would have been good, if it didn’t happen in the span of three episodes... I’m not saying take as long as Deku, but his development is too unrealistic given the timespan.

How is Masaru so smart all of a sudden e.g. He’s able to figure out the distance the puppet needs to go to get across the castle. No explanation

Why did Masaru give in to his uncle and actually believe him, after everything he’s been through?!

Narumi’s so strong that he’s able to break cage bars... well why didn’t he do that in the first place? If he’s so strong why couldn’t he break the strings?

How did Masaru survive jumping out of a building and landing on tree branches with no broken bones?

How is this same Masaru who’s covered in blood now able to fight while Shirogane’s injured in her legs? Neither should be able to move.

Of course Masaru can use puppets, which takes years of experience to master in his first try (coughs bullshit protagonist plot power)

Masaru surviving the burning building was bullshit. He should have died from lack of oxygen due to inhaling too much smoke or from the building collapsing on them. In fact how wasn’t Narumi’s arm not burnt to ash?

I weren’t expecting Narumi to die like that. Well, there goes my reason to watching this show any further

Kid Masaru isn’t enough to carry this show. Hopefully, a timeskip happens.
Nov 2, 2018 8:38 AM

Oct 2017
OG_Gattsu said:
There’s so much poor writing and inconsistent moments in this show, that my suspension of disbelief is broken.

Masaru’s development from a crybaby to a boy with the eyes of a beast would have been good, if it didn’t happen in the span of three episodes... I’m not saying take as long as Deku, but his development is too unrealistic given the timespan.

How is Masaru so smart all of a sudden e.g. He’s able to figure out the distance the puppet needs to go to get across the castle. No explanation

Why did Masaru give in to his uncle and actually believe him, after everything he’s been through?!

Narumi’s so strong that he’s able to break cage bars... well why didn’t he do that in the first place? If he’s so strong why couldn’t he break the strings?

How did Masaru survive jumping out of a building and landing on tree branches with no broken bones?

How is this same Masaru who’s covered in blood now able to fight while Shirogane’s injured in her legs? Neither should be able to move.

Of course Masaru can use puppets, which takes years of experience to master in his first try (coughs bullshit protagonist plot power)

Masaru surviving the burning building was bullshit. He should have died from lack of oxygen due to inhaling too much smoke or from the building collapsing on them. In fact how wasn’t Narumi’s arm not burnt to ash?

I weren’t expecting Narumi to die like that. Well, there goes my reason to watching this show any further

Kid Masaru isn’t enough to carry this show. Hopefully, a timeskip happens.

Go read the manga up to vol 3 to address 90% of your questions.

I already addressed some missing details in this ep in particular, but there're still alot more they missed out. Even Ep1~3 too...

Seriously, just go read manga cuz anime is not gonna address your problems cuz they're trying to rush plot so it can fit in 36 episodes.

This series is too old to be marketable anymore, so no big studio are going to support the production of this one in fear of big revenue lost, nor are they going to give them 100 episodes like they do to any other good long-running shonen to smoothly go through the story in a coherent / faithful way.

They already squish 3 volumes of manga into 4 episodes, this should tell you why you find so many plot-hole cuz yes, 60% of the stuffs are cut/ details are gone.
Usually 3 volumes take 6~8 episodes.

Also just a tip of what's going to happen later.
This arc is actually the weaker arc in comparison to what'd happen later.
Ventus_SNov 2, 2018 8:46 AM
Nov 2, 2018 8:44 AM

Aug 2013
Another great episode. Loved it.

The arm bit was kinda weird.

Nov 2, 2018 11:06 AM

May 2018
Wtf they killed off narumi jaz like that, and all was left was his arm, ok so it might be artificial, or it might be his real arm , it doesn't bleed cu'z the fire has cauterize it.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Karakuri Circus Episode 36 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 27, 2019

51 by ohnaur »»
Dec 5, 2023 2:19 AM

Poll: » Karakuri Circus Episode 18 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 21, 2019

26 by ohnaur »»
Dec 3, 2023 2:34 AM

» Was it well received in japan?

SinDrake - Nov 15, 2023

3 by SinDrake »»
Nov 17, 2023 11:45 AM

Poll: » Karakuri Circus Episode 34 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 13, 2019

20 by DANIELLL224 »»
Oct 16, 2023 9:49 AM

Poll: » Karakuri Circus Episode 31 Discussion

Stark700 - May 23, 2019

22 by Dawizz »»
Aug 17, 2023 12:01 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.