Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Oct 13, 2018 1:51 PM
Feb 2018
This is the most excited i've been about SAO since the first arc long ago. It was actually one of the first shows that got me into anime, if you can believe it (of course you can).

I love the character interactions, the narrations by kirito and the visuals as well as the world building.

I'm really excited for the rest of the season.
Can't wait for next week's episode.
Oct 13, 2018 2:24 PM
Sep 2018
The music for the naked girl in the tower was beautiful, made me shed tears.
Oct 13, 2018 2:28 PM

Mar 2016
Pretty good episode. Enjoyed it.
Best combi LiSA and Aoi for OP & ED.
Oct 13, 2018 2:58 PM
Mar 2018
Second episode and we already saw a naked girl in the bed. Sasuga SAO
Oct 13, 2018 2:59 PM

May 2016
Alright, I admit it. I'm invested in this show even though I still don't like Kirito. Maybe in this season he'll finally grow up. That being said, why the hell couldn't the first two seasons have this kind of adaptation?! At least A-1 learned from their mistakes and are actually taking their time with this.
"You talk too much. Think too much."
"I don't care how justified you think your reasons are. I won't tolerate liars or thieves."
"If you're not going to be nice to me, don't expect me to be nice to you."
"I'm a soldier, not a superhero. Don't ever think of me as one."
"The world doesn't revolve around you. Get that through your thick skull."
"People who live by their emotions go nowhere in their lives. They only find misery.
"If you don't like the way your life is than do something about it instead of sitting there feeling sorry for yourself."
"You want something go get it. Period."
Oct 13, 2018 3:07 PM

Jan 2017
I can never say what I expect from this anime as it is an anime so lauded and panned at the same time. But hey, SAO being SAO I find myself being part of those with praise, even whilst it remains an anime plagued with the overriding sense of being all "part of a dream;" season one we had this theme of it being a death game, and season two attempted maintain this theme... But where does this season head for us?
Yet, with all of this, I still wanna know!

The only thing that annoyed me about this episode is the fact that Kirito still managed to be a swordsman; applying previous knowledge, I put it down as an assumption to his actual sword skills -but maybe, but maybe, couldn't the game make it a little harder for him to become.
That's probably me just nitpicking though... Can't wait for next week; I just want to get into it and into the fights that I love so much.
Oct 13, 2018 3:14 PM

Apr 2015
Production values are still high, which is very good to see. I like how mysterious this Underworld Arc is. Especially the part of what happened to Kirito in real life.

So Alice did get taken away, however it has been many years ago in this world. Kirito seems to recall both Eugeo and Alice by hearing their names, but cant really place it.

World building is strong in this episode and I bet there's a lot more to come. Hype!

That girl at the end though... she's fine!
Oct 13, 2018 3:16 PM

Apr 2015
DirectorK said:
Alright, I admit it. I'm invested in this show even though I still don't like Kirito. Maybe in this season he'll finally grow up. That being said, why the hell couldn't the first two seasons have this kind of adaptation?! At least A-1 learned from their mistakes and are actually taking their time with this.

First off, the director changed.
Secondly it's the first arc with a proper length to even make a pacing of that kind happen. All other arcs had like 2 Volumes at max whereas this is clocking in with like 10. It simply invites a far more slower and detailed approach because the source material allows it.

neonie said:
So, I might be getting my series of events mixed up, but did they cut the RATH sequence all together, or is that later down the line? I was kind of looking forward to that this week, but we went straight back into Underworld instead.

If you mean with "RATH sequence"
Oct 13, 2018 3:21 PM

May 2017
Wow!! im actually impressed at how much i enjoyed this episode..

The Art, the animation, the colors, the soundtrack, the world building. Everything is so well made. I love it.

Loving the characters so far Eugeo and now Selka.

So far this seems like a very good adaption by A-1 Pictures. I really really really hope that this level of production continues.

One little issue would be the action sound effects.. They sometimes are a little bit distorted just like what they did in Ordinal Scale and Apocrypha.. It was ridiculously bad in Apocrypha, but so far its manageable in Alicization, the beautiful Art and Soundtrack make up for it.

Very much looking forward to next episode.. I would love to binge this right now not gonna lie.
Oct 13, 2018 3:36 PM
Jun 2014
I wasn't expecting too much from this season, to be honest, seeing how the previous two went and I have to say I'm actually delighted! Alicization is my favourite arc by far so I was surprised by the great start the anime had. I'm having my hopes up for things being done right.

The animation and visuals are incredible and I hope they can keep them up. I love how best boy Eugeo got and ending for himself and it seems that they will take their time exploring the characters and the world, which couldn't please me more.

Also, my major highlight, as many people already commented is:
Kirito's
f**cking
inner
monologues

FINALLY. The fact that they didn't show Kirito's thoughts and feelings were the biggest draw back for me the previous seasons. I hope they can do the same with Eugeo, as both characters have so much to offer in this arc, especially the relationship they have with each other.

Oct 13, 2018 3:37 PM
Mar 2018
I was very critical of the first episode of this, and I stand by my criticisms of that episode. But I feel that this episode was much more enjoyable--although not perfect. The visuals are still very good, and this world looks very beautiful and the lighting effects are certainly great. I also liked the more experimental style of Alice's animation about 10:50 into the episode, being a fan of more experimental art.

My main questions so far are these:

1. Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that it was only a very short amount of time that it took to kill someone using the drug that Death Gun used and was used against Kirito at the end of the first episode, like with the characters shown getting killed in GGO seemingly seconds after. Since the show suggests he is in a virtual world, and it seems using the STL, how is he still alive in the first place to be in this virtual world? Should he not be dead? And what happened with the LC guy at the end of the last episode?

2. Why does Kirito have sword skills right off the bat in this world? This seems to me like an easy way to keep Kirito OP like he was in all past iterations of the show. This virtual world doesn't seem to be at all connected to SAO like ALO and GGO were, which I still thought was a dumb and that he shouldn't have been still OP in those.

I have other concerns, like the seeming lack of side character whom I did like (Asuna, Klein, Silica, and Sinon were fun characters for me and I don't want to see them relegated to smaller parts than I would like), but those two are really the biggest that I hope the show is able to address satisfyingly as it goes on.

If the show continues to be enjoyable, it could be much better than I believe the first two seasons were. While I'm not yet convinced it will be, this episode gives me some hope that it may turn out to be a pleasant surprise after my extreme dislike for the first episode of the season.
Oct 13, 2018 3:39 PM
Oct 2012
tambi33 said:
I can never say what I expect from this anime as it is an anime so lauded and panned at the same time. But hey, SAO being SAO I find myself being part of those with praise, even whilst it remains an anime plagued with the overriding sense of being all "part of a dream;" season one we had this theme of it being a death game, and season two attempted maintain this theme... But where does this season head for us?

The only thing that annoyed me about this episode is the fact that Kirito still managed to be a swordsman; applying previous knowledge, I put it down as an assumption to his actual sword skills -but maybe, but maybe, couldn't the game make it a little harder for him to become.
That's probably me just nitpicking though... Can't wait for next week; I just want to get into it and into the fights that I love so much.

don't worry about Kirito, he is not OP now, he got his Sword Techniques but it's simply like a Sword Man in Real life, knowing a technique.

like if you were a Sword Man in RL, then transfer into someone else's body, u still have your sword technique knowledge, but even tho u got the knowledge, that does not mean you can beat the people u could before in your old body !
coz your body does not have the strength and practice required for it !

so kirito is like a Sword master knowledge-wise but need to practice and try hard to make himself strong.
Oct 13, 2018 3:45 PM

Jul 2015
I'll be damned. It really looks like SAO has a chance to be very good for once.

Oct 13, 2018 3:48 PM
Oct 2012
NietzscheBoi said:
I was very critical of the first episode of this, and I stand by my criticisms of that episode. But I feel that this episode was much more enjoyable--although not perfect. The visuals are still very good, and this world looks very beautiful and the lighting effects are certainly great. I also liked the more experimental style of Alice's animation about 10:50 into the episode, being a fan of more experimental art.

My main questions so far are these:

1. Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that it was only a very short amount of time that it took to kill someone using the drug that Death Gun used and was used against Kirito at the end of the first episode, like with the characters shown getting killed in GGO seemingly seconds after. Since the show suggests he is in a virtual world, and it seems using the STL, how is he still alive in the first place to be in this virtual world? Should he not be dead? And what happened with the LC guy at the end of the last episode?

2. Why does Kirito have sword skills right off the bat in this world? This seems to me like an easy way to keep Kirito OP like he was in all past iterations of the show. This virtual world doesn't seem to be at all connected to SAO like ALO and GGO were, which I still thought was a dumb and that he shouldn't have been still OP in those.

I have other concerns, like the seeming lack of side character whom I did like (Asuna, Klein, Silica, and Sinon were fun characters for me and I don't want to see them relegated to smaller parts than I would like), but those two are really the biggest that I hope the show is able to address satisfyingly as it goes on.

If the show continues to be enjoyable, it could be much better than I believe the first two seasons were. While I'm not yet convinced it will be, this episode gives me some hope that it may turn out to be a pleasant surprise after my extreme dislike for the first episode of the season.

about ur 2nd question, I reply in my above comment.

about ur 1st Question, well i put a small spoiler if u wanna read :
PedramOct 13, 2018 3:51 PM
Oct 13, 2018 3:53 PM

Jul 2016
Well, no matter if I loved Sao originally or not, this arc is doing one thing better. It's not focusing so heavily on the original group members. It's developing the world really nicely and it's exciting even without the epic fights being present at the moment. Once everything starts coming together with Alice, Kirito, and Eugeo, it should get even better. It does seem strange that Kirito that the drug part at the end of episode 1 wasn't addressed, though.

Maybe they'll start thinking of a way to get to the capital city next episode.

Oct 13, 2018 3:56 PM
Jan 2016
I honestly like the author doing the callbacks from season 1/2 how Kirito is super OP when he tries to attack the tree he hardly did anything he failed and other time he put a small dent. This episode itself could easily be 6-8min but good its not, the show really taking it time for the better like how an RPG game would be like. JRPG/RPG in general are long and the beginning takes its time to slowly build up itself.

Eugeo probably going to be my favourite character, well Kirito isn't edgy anymore ( atleast not as edgy) he still kinda bland but his dynamic work with Eugeo really well because he's supposed to be a blank slate.

The anime has some great dynamic lightning going on, that its reflection looks really good you can just tell A1 hired alot of great freelancers to do this show.

Animation was standard the biggest highlight is the fantastic particle effects that makes the animation look even better.

This season just makes S1/S2 look so cheap in comparison with this presentation. If this can consist throughout the entire 52 episodes that be awesome.

Anyways i usually hate SAO for vaild reasons, but honestly quiet excited for the future. However second half of 1st episode was still super boring.
Oct 13, 2018 4:43 PM

Aug 2013
Even though I always have my criticisms of SAO and what not, seeing Alicization brought to life further proves my personal opinion: This is how SAO should have been. And A-1, this is how your anime should be. Because man this is really gorgeous. But anyways....I see they showcased THAT girl at the end scene. I feel like there's gonna be quite a bit of fanservice with her in the future.
Don't believe the hype.
Oct 13, 2018 4:48 PM

Nov 2008
They should've opened with this episode. It was way better than that hour long block of panning shots at a café with endless exposition dumps.
Oct 13, 2018 5:10 PM
Feb 2018
I need help!I need to find the name of the song that starts around the 21st minute of the episode(21:42)!Please tell me the name of the song if you know it!
Oct 13, 2018 5:23 PM

Feb 2014
Well, those last few seconds before the ending hits were certainly amazing.
Oct 13, 2018 5:27 PM

Mar 2015
So far so good, it really differentiate itself from the others seasons, seems like the author wanted to create something new(thank god).

Just hope we continue to have these type of episodes, that calmly build the plot and the characters into something great, other than throwing everything together and praying for a solution.
Oct 13, 2018 5:45 PM
Dec 2016
vikato246 said:
The music for the naked girl in the tower was beautiful, made me shed tears.

I know right. Yuki Kajiura has once again blessed us with her amazing composing skills. It's only episode 2, and I'm already in love this animes OST. God, we're going to be spoiled rotten with her music in this anime!!!
Oct 13, 2018 5:46 PM

Sep 2013
Episode looking crisp and polished! A bit slow, but excited to see what happens next. I almost thought that Sister was Asuna at first.

good episode, 7/10

Oct 13, 2018 6:04 PM

Nov 2016
The opening is pretty lit.

Good episode again, it mainly focussed on Kirito coming in terms with the virtual world, so there wasn't much story progress. Still enjoyed the character interaction and pacing, it will be fun to see how the plot is going to unfold.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 13, 2018 6:17 PM
Jan 2018
explodi o botao de like nesse episodio ahaha
Oct 13, 2018 6:35 PM

Nov 2008
Nerd_Zone1 said:

Eugeo probably going to be my favourite character, well Kirito isn't edgy anymore ( atleast not as edgy) he still kinda bland but his dynamic work with Eugeo really well because he's supposed to be a blank slate.

Kirito was never supposed to be a "blank slate"; he is a representation of Kawahara's admiration for skilled game players he has met in past RPGs. (Kawahara says so himself in the novel afterword.)

It really bugs me when people call him a blank slate or a self-insertion; because, no, he's not. He's a person just like the rest of the cast. It's not like you can replace him with just any MC and you'd have the same story.

Leads from otome games are blank slates.

Oct 13, 2018 6:48 PM

Jan 2017
Pedram said:
tambi33 said:

don't worry about Kirito, he is not OP now, he got his Sword Techniques but it's simply like a Sword Man in Real life, knowing a technique.

like if you were a Sword Man in RL, then transfer into someone else's body, u still have your sword technique knowledge, but even tho u got the knowledge, that does not mean you can beat the people u could before in your old body !
coz your body does not have the strength and practice required for it !

so kirito is like a Sword master knowledge-wise but need to practice and try hard to make himself strong.

Yeah that's what I meant when I referred to his real life sword skills; but even he said to imagine his SAO avatar and not his real self (when he used the axe) hes still applying his virtual behaviour -and I've always felt that that was a bit of killjoy 'cause usually I'd like to see that struggle to become better. It's not too much of a difference though, so... I don't really mind.
Oct 13, 2018 6:57 PM

Jul 2014
Hey, that wasn't bad! In fact, this episode is automatically better by virtue of not having a cafe scene like the first one! Honestly, without any of the fanservice or harem aspects, SAO is a watchable show. If it just sticks with showing us bromance, cool action scenes, nice looking backgrounds, and high quality animation, then I can see this season being a genuinely fun time. And thats a lot more than I can say about a certain other edgy wish-fulfillment power fantasy show from this season.
Oct 13, 2018 7:14 PM

May 2011
DirectorK said:

Nah, kawahara became a much more competent writer than when he started
Oct 13, 2018 7:16 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
-Riptide- said:
Underworld feels more like an actual living world than a setting made for the purpose of games. The people feel more alive since they're not NPCs unlike before. The worldbuilding feels natural and the viewers are as confused as Kirito since we're now in an unfamiliar world with no knowledge of what's happening. So far the adaptation has been on point. It's good that they include a lot of Kirito's monologues unlike in the first 2 seasons. It gives him more of a character.

Surprised that they showed the tall tower and the woman sleeping this early on.

I still can't get enough of the visuals. They look so fucking good. I hope they can be consistent with this. And best boi Eugeo getting his own ED and seeing how lonely he looks is pretty sad to see.

Good to see they are not compromising on values on her, think many people will get nosebleeds later on...
Oct 13, 2018 7:17 PM

Dec 2015
hmm so i did remember eugeo wont be having memories about kirito but how i forgot. did the code violation erased his memories or rath staff reset memories every dive? then this would be awkward since everytime he dive for test then he would start anew?

and is i forgot why didnt rath staff goes into the underworld and inform kirito about his situation? i forgot almost everything since its been like 5 years maybe since i read this part

sorry with these stupid question since i've forgotten most things
Oct 13, 2018 7:32 PM

Jan 2013
Great episode! Finally, the tree is back <3 hahaha
No, but for real, i really want to see them cutting that tree xD

I wonder why Eugeo and Kirito lost their memories.
Can't wait for another episode!
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Oct 13, 2018 7:45 PM

May 2015
The world is called Terraria?

Hehehe, looks like Kirito is going to have to start from scratch. Do his sword skills still carry over though?

Slow start, but I can see where this is going...Go to the central city and save Alice, correct? And then they'll cut down that demon tree in the end right?
Oct 13, 2018 8:07 PM

Apr 2015
Yes, YES, YES !!!

They finally got the pacing right with the almighty inner monologues from Kirito (Ok ... maybe not as in-depth as in the LN, but important still).

They'll definitely be using their time to let people sink in carefully into Underworld lore's which is just what I wanted.

As always, production values are high but conservative and the camera work makes such a difference now from how the director from S1/S2 was doing things (Like the coffee shop scene).

Now, I guess we still have 3 episodes left (hopefully) until we get to book #10
Oct 13, 2018 8:16 PM

Apr 2015
Tarotist said:
The world is called Terraria?

Hehehe, looks like Kirito is going to have to start from scratch. Do his sword skills still carry over though?

Slow start, but I can see where this is going...Go to the central city and save Alice, correct? And then they'll cut down that demon tree in the end right?

I don't think this is really what I would call a spoiler but for as far as I can tell you. Kirito probably used the skill "Horizontal slash" which is the most basic Sword skill you could have in SAO.

As for the rest, explanations will come up in the next few episodes (2-3 at most).
Oct 13, 2018 8:17 PM

Nov 2011
Tarotist said:

The only thing he carry over are his knowledge and experience. None of his previous stats are here.

Oct 13, 2018 9:05 PM

Jan 2011
color me surprised this was a decent episode a lot of questions flowing through my head about what the hell is going on,started to lose it's steam near the end when Kirito was trying to explain shit
Oct 13, 2018 9:30 PM

Dec 2012
Ok.. Getting good!

Oct 13, 2018 10:16 PM
Mar 2017
Kirito returns to Underworld.
Well apparently we will not know what is the state of health of Kirito until later. But we do know that Kirito keeps the memories of the real world and that the memories of his previous visit to Underworld want to return.
Kirito is reunited with Eugeo, but both do not know who is on both sides, Kirito thinks he is an NPC and Eugeo thinks he is a lost villager.
After finishing Eugeo's work they go to the village, but they are stopped by one of the guards, who starts to annoy Eugeo and Kirito stops him by shows him his skill with the sword, leaving him humiliated in front of Eugeo.
Kirito is housed in the church, where they introduce us to Selka, who looks a lot like Alice, but with orange hair (is she sister or relative of Alice?)
And who is the naked lady they show at the end? and what is that tower where she is ?
This episode was quite calm, they introduced us to Underworld again and I feel there are many things that have not been answered, but at least Kirito is still alive after that attack. I really liked the Ending, it feels nostalgic, but it is a very sad memory and it is centered in Eugeo, that in this episode we saw that he feels responsible for what happened with Alice (poor boy, how must it be the guilt he must feel).

why they say that Eugeo is best boy?
I'm sorry but I have not been able to find SAO Alicization LN in my language (and reading it in English is a bit exhausting), so I have no idea about anything.
salbery755Oct 13, 2018 10:20 PM
Oct 13, 2018 10:31 PM

Oct 2016
a good episode but could have been better if they did not cut out a scene that was important. the scene that was cut out,

over all it was a good episode ether way
Oct 13, 2018 10:46 PM
Mar 2018
salbery755 said:

And who is the naked lady they show at the end?

Mod Edit: Added spoiler tags; please hide plot details.
ArdanazOct 14, 2018 11:41 AM
Oct 13, 2018 10:50 PM

Nov 2017
Chiibi said:

AND KIRITO WAS LIKE, "I'LL SHOW YOU, TREE!!!"

AND THEN THE TREE WAS LIKE "F*CK YOU, BITCH!!" AND THEN EUGEO WAS LIKE
"DAMN, I SHOULDA BROUGHT POPCORN."

hahahha... you got me in there.

Do they ever think to get a better axe?
Now Loading.....
Oct 13, 2018 10:53 PM

Feb 2014
So its all to restart in a new world eh? Damn this virtual world showing years in human reality seems rather suspicious. Im kinda getting a reincarnation vibe here.
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Oct 13, 2018 11:08 PM
Mar 2017
salbery755 said:

And who is the naked lady they show at the end?

Thank you very much, now I understand why they show her that way, she is the sensual and cruel villain (joke), I hope to see her again and see what kind of Ruler she is.
ArdanazOct 14, 2018 11:42 AM
Oct 13, 2018 11:21 PM

Apr 2018
I liked this ep way more than the first one which i really liked too

I like the ending and the art
Oct 14, 2018 12:00 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Good episode, I must Aliciazation has done a really good job so far!

It almost feels like a video game now where we’re trying to figure out what and how Kirito has end up there. Slow but many vital things got explanations, I just wonder how Kirito is doing in real life. On another note, I’m guessing the naked female in the end is a villain because of that typical villainous smile. Yuki Kajiura with some brilliant ost though, and both the Op and ED are nice! Art/Animation has been great too!

I’m looking forward to seeing how the next coming weeks do.
_MushiRock11_Oct 14, 2018 12:03 AM
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Oct 14, 2018 12:12 AM
Jan 2016
Chiibi said:
Nerd_Zone1 said:

Kirito was never supposed to be a "blank slate"; he is a representation of Kawahara's admiration for skilled game players he has met in past RPGs. (Kawahara says so himself in the novel afterword.)

It really bugs me when people call him a blank slate or a self-insertion; because, no, he's not. He's a person just like the rest of the cast. It's not like you can replace him with just any MC and you'd have the same story.

Leads from otome games are blank slates.

I'm purely judging his character based on the anime maybe in the novel it's different.
Oct 14, 2018 12:23 AM
Aug 2018
FMmatron said:
The opening is pretty lit.

Good episode again, it mainly focussed on Kirito coming in terms with the virtual world, so there wasn't much story progress. Still enjoyed the character interaction and pacing, it will be fun to see how the plot is going to unfold.

Good!! Right ....kek
Oct 14, 2018 12:25 AM
Aug 2018
As far I am liking the pacing of this anime
And how they are making both us and kirito clueless about the new world they are in.
I liked how there are so many questions remained to be answered, I like the suspense. Like why eugeo can't remember kirito, how kirito was able to use his sword skills and who that naked beautifully looking girl is.
Damn can't wait for more epsidoes
Oct 14, 2018 12:29 AM

Feb 2017
I wanted Asuna and Kirito to go on this journey but it looks like it's just going to be him. I'm eager for the rest!
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» My enjoyment of Alice is kinda ruined because of Darkness from Konosuba

BigBoyAdvance - Mar 24

11 by Superninjaboy2 »»
Mar 24, 10:33 PM

» Anyone else lowkey prefer Alice to Asuna?

Marinate1016 - Jun 25, 2019

47 by Marinate1016 »»
Mar 24, 11:38 AM

» Kirito needs medical help cause this man’s been through it all

Superninjaboy2 - Mar 11

32 by Superninjaboy2 »»
Mar 14, 9:57 AM

» I just finished this and ""O MY GOD ""

Yeshaiah2015yesh - Mar 2

43 by Fenyy »»
Mar 5, 11:12 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online: Alicization Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 3, 2018

190 by fssf1606 »»
Feb 12, 2:59 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.