Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Oct 2, 2018 4:30 PM

May 2015
Really nice first episode! As stated by a lot of other people, the character designs are very similar to Haikyuu and that's definitely not a complaint. I'm liking the characters personalities too, they all seem to be pretty interesting. It's been a while since I watched a sports anime with this kind of atmosphere that has really nice visuals and a good OST to match so I'm really looking forward to more. Also, I'm so glad it's 23 episodes.

♡ artist
サコ
Oct 2, 2018 4:45 PM

Apr 2009
The first half was really a dud, dumping all characters one after another like you are going through a checklist is never a good idea.

ArtG1 said:
Kageyama Tobio, is that you?

It seems like there has to be a Kageyama/Haru look-alike in every sport anime (Yowapeda, prince of stride, DnA, Knb, prince of tennis) lol

Oct 2, 2018 4:58 PM

Dec 2014
Fantastic start, very very promising.

I was totally hooked the moment Haiji cycled beside Kakeru and asked if he like running. Strange how a simple moment enough is like that is enough to convey what the show would be like.

They wasted no time introducing us to everyone, it's gonna take me a while to remember them all but the guys seem quirky and fun so I'm sure they'll all grow on me.

The party was great, Haiji wasted no time in dropping the bomb om everyone. I couldn't stop laughing when he showed everyone how he played them all by making them actually join the club while applying for a place to stay. XD

Loved the way they showed the opening moments later on and then fast forwarded through the entire episode as the sounds of wind blows. Great direction there.

Production looks fantastic, IG bringing their game here. So much promise, so much potential here, I hope IG outdo themselves. With this level of production and Yuki Hayashi behind the music, I hope this is the second coming of Haikyuu. XD

OP and ED are great as well, the ED especially is fantastic. Oh wow, just looked it up and it looks like the full version of the ED is already out. Awesome. xD

Anyone who's more familiar with Japanese, doesn't 'Kaze ga Tsuyoku Fuiteiru' technically mean 'The Wind's blowing strongly'? I guess, anime titles are never really translated literally but here it seems like they changed the meaning.
Oct 2, 2018 5:52 PM

Dec 2016
Definitely an intriguing first episode and judging off of the manga's length and this show's length it's looking like the entire story will be told in one go which is always nice, especially when even great anime never get sequels, let alone the entire story adapted

Also I like the cast already, Nico-senpai best boi
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Oct 2, 2018 6:24 PM

Jan 2011
was looking forward to checking this out since at first i was like this looks a lot like Haikyuu but that's because it's a sports anime by IG lol

no complaints so far seems like a solid start quality is there because *I.G* and the music is jaming.

quickest introduction i've seen in a while lol just banged out all ten of them within the first half
Oct 2, 2018 6:54 PM

Oct 2015
I'm telling you this will be an anime to watch and a great anime of the season. The animation is great and the story is really promising.

I enjoyed this first episode and I think I will love it. It has that Haikyuu aura.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Oct 2, 2018 7:13 PM

Mar 2018
Woah. That was pretty cool for the first episode. So it turns out they know each other but Kakeru doesn't remember. The song at the end before the ending was nice.
"Those that break the rules and regulations are scum. But those who abandon their friends are even worse than scum." -Obito Uchiha
Oct 2, 2018 7:15 PM

May 2010
Weird, I'm losing focus around 1/3...tried to pay attention again when ED start but still. Will put this on hold first.
Oct 2, 2018 7:33 PM

Jun 2015
Very good start, Kageyama is back
Oct 2, 2018 7:38 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
It was an enjoyable first episode, nothing amazing, but definitely a good intro. I do like a college cast instead of high schoolers. Dorm life is always as fun as well. Hayashi Yuuki's music score fits well, as usual. The only slight complaint I have is the style of the character designs, it's not bad at all, I do like the style, but it doesn't give the series it's own identity upon first look. I keep getting reminded of Haikyuu and Ballroom, just like when I watched the new LotGH and thinking about KnB, lol. I get that if a style works, then it's safe to use it, but I'd prefer seeing something different. The character designs look better than the manga adaptation's though :>

Anyways, looking forward to the story unfold. It's not always that we can get a full adaptation of a story.
Oct 2, 2018 7:53 PM

Aug 2018
The Op and ED were amazing and really gave you a clear view of the characters and where this anime could be headed. I loved the way they showed all of the characters because it was fast and really got the point across of their attitude. I'm a big runner myself and seeing a running anime come out this season is a breath of fresh air from the harem, slice of life, and other stuff coming out. I hope this anime goes somewhere!

Oct 2, 2018 7:54 PM

Jul 2016
Not bad, it was an ok episode. Mostly all the cast was presented and it was indeed a bit chaotic but since all of them live in the same place, it was predictable. That's quite a lively residence, to be honest.

Not much to say. I liked the way this show started but it's just the first episode. Let see what it has to offer us. Personally I want to know more about Haiji, his motivation and what happened to his knee. That sure is a serious injury.
Oct 2, 2018 9:25 PM

Nov 2007
stardew said:
Well is this a team running thing or competitive between each other?
Team running. Check this.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Oct 2, 2018 10:01 PM

Apr 2009
Why is this giving me such strong "Welcome to the Ballroom" vibes? Is it the character designs? The occasional giraffe necking? It's Production I.G., sure, but I'm not seeing any connections beyond that.
Oct 2, 2018 10:55 PM

Aug 2014
i was hoping for a new sport show to watch but first ep is kinda meh.. hopefully it gets better
Oct 2, 2018 11:45 PM
Jan 2016
I enjoyed the relaxing feel of this anime, as expected. Though I am still worried about writing quality overall. Especially with how the first episode's handled the storytelling order, it's weird that they decided to tell it a bit out of order when there's nothing to be had there. There's no interesting revelation because of it, there's nothing evocative. It would've been the same if they told it in chronological order. & could any one who read the source material tell me whether this style of storytelling comes from the source or the anime staff's idea?

jlutholtz said:
Why is this giving me such strong "Welcome to the Ballroom" vibes? Is it the character designs? The occasional giraffe necking? It's Production I.G., sure, but I'm not seeing any connections beyond that.

The character design is definitely similar to Welcome to the Ballroom, & both anime have the same band for the OP song.

K4STOR said:
I loved the way they showed all of the characters because it was fast and really got the point across of their attitude.

It's good that you liked it, but from a narrative standpoint, it's quite lazy to introduce all of the characters at once & in your face(full name, the quirk, etc.) like that. They could've done it more fluidly by make the protagonist stumbled upon them when he's searching his room by himself, or even that dinner scene was enough to introduce all of them.
Oct 3, 2018 12:25 AM

Mar 2009
This was great. Best first episode of the season so far. A lot of quality people working on this one. And it's an adaptation of an actual novel, so that means it's automatically good.
Oct 3, 2018 12:27 AM

Feb 2017
Production IG + sports, so I have high hopes for this. And so far so good!
Good introductory episode, I already like the cast and their chemistry.

Good animation is to be expected from IG. Sound is great so far too.
I'll definitely be following this, it's really promising so far.
TsarkoOct 3, 2018 12:34 AM
Oct 3, 2018 4:18 AM

Dec 2017
Just finished the first episode and I've got to admit this was one the best looking shows I've watched in this year's seasonal shows. The art style is crisp and the colours are very vibrant. The character designs are similar to Haikyuu! but the difference this show will have is that most of Hailyuu!'s scenes took place inside the volleyball court. This one is a running show so it has a lot of great animation of the natural scenery. The OST pumped up the anticipation of what's in store in the upcoming episodes and include it with that banger ending song and the sound is definitely something that's A grade.
But the best part of the show was the cast. All the members have their own quirks. The MCs include one guy who resembles Kageyama from Haikyuu! but the other guy, Haiji, was definitely the star of the show. Looking forward to him the most.
neilOct 3, 2018 4:42 AM
Oct 3, 2018 4:59 AM
May 2015
I like that is college theme not high school theme
Oct 3, 2018 5:24 AM

May 2015
Great, it's not about school. I liked the way Haiji tricked everyone to join the club.

Very promising start, and considering it's 23 episodes for 50 manga chapters, I hope we'll see a full story. Oh, and it's from the same author as Fune wo Amu, yeah, definitely high hopes.
Oct 3, 2018 5:52 AM
⚧ | 愛と平和

Oct 2010
Inugirlz said:
ArtG1 said:
Kageyama Tobio, is that you?

It seems like there has to be a Kageyama/Haru look-alike in every sport anime (Yowapeda, prince of stride, DnA, Knb, prince of tennis) lol

Honestly they didn't have to make him look (and act) so similar. Hell, even the MC from Battery is similar

At least he has a different VA besides Ishikawa Kaito (Kageyama) or Shimazaki Nobunaga (Furuya and Haru).

Am I the only one wondering why Kakeru went to a girls high school? That seems like a rather intriguing piece of character development to drop in the final few seconds of the episode. Does ep 2 begin with Kakeru's shocking "I used to be a she" confession?? I'm not counting on it, but I'm still curious.
✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣
“The right to think is the beginning of freedom, and speech must be protected
from the government because speech is the beginning of thought.”
  — Ashcroft v.Free Speech Coalition,
✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣
Oct 3, 2018 6:02 AM

Oct 2013
I'm loving the first episode! I think this is going to one of my favourites for this season! + Mukai Taichi singing the ED OMG DID NOT EXPECT THIS... ONE MY FAVOURITE SINGERS LDSKFJLSKDFJLSDKJFSDFSDKL dying
Oct 3, 2018 6:32 AM

Apr 2015
Didn't know I would open the season with this but anyhow, good opener. Wasn't stunningly gripping, but did a good job introducing the characters- despite the large cast, it didn't feel cluttered at all! Some scenes very impressive, like the first and last scenes and the fast forward flashback. Visually flawless too, I'm sold so far
Oct 3, 2018 7:10 AM
Aug 2012
I'm confused. When did Kageyama leave the volleyball team?
Oct 3, 2018 8:13 AM

Feb 2018
it is a good first episode. they executed the premise very well. This series will remind you to Haikkyu and Ballroom e Youkoso (all by Production I.G.). Because this series has same character designer as Haikkyu (Takahiro Chiba), same sound director as Haikkyu and Ballroom (Hiromi Kikuta) and same composer as My Hero Academia and Haikkyu (Yuuki Hayashi). So i think this series has potential especially production value.

Now how great this series will be depend on story from source material. Personally i like how this series take place in college, not in High School as Haikkyu, KnB or Eyeshield. i wonder how college theme will combine with sport anime
Oct 3, 2018 8:27 AM
Apr 2018
It felt like a fairly rushed episode. It would have been much better if they didn't time skip like they did. Hope this show is well paced and that is likely since it's going 2 cours. I hope it doesn't have the issues Harukana Recieve had but since this is about running I dont think that will be the case.
Oct 3, 2018 8:58 AM

Oct 2008
UNISON SQUARE GARDEN always provides us such quality OPs!
This show's art style reminds me of Ballroom e Youkoso...then i checked...of course its from Production I.G.!
1st episode starts a calm and slow but i'm up for it!
4/5.

Oct 3, 2018 9:06 AM

May 2017
This looks promising and that's what you would expect from Production I.G when it comes to sports. Hopefully they'll live up to the hype.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 3, 2018 9:07 AM

Aug 2017
So far, this is the most decent start from this season. Basically, we were introduced to the characters and the main plot. Also, there is some questions that the anime would reply in the future like Haiji's knee, Kakeru stealing and the Hakone Ekiden.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Oct 3, 2018 9:34 AM

Oct 2013
Yeah that was COMPLETELY a scam
It's rare to see a 23 episodes show

I needed a good track & field anime... the only show about "running" I saw is Prince of Stride, maybe beautiful but kinda lame

+ the otaku alias "Prince" lmao
Oct 3, 2018 9:59 AM
Nov 2016
I actually didn't know about this anime until today, actually.
To my surprise, I enjoyed this a lot. I'm mixed when it comes to sports anime, but I'll definitely keep my eye on this one.
Oct 3, 2018 9:59 AM

Mar 2016
That was very overwhelming. I had to watch the episode twice to understand what was going on. Still, it was interesting. I think I will watch this one.

This already looks like it would be better than the sports animes I've seen till now. Something about the way the story was told really made me want to know more.

Though, I feel like this episode itself wasn't very good. That doesn't even make sense.

Also, Kageyama look alike!! Their personalities were quite different, though.
Oct 3, 2018 10:32 AM

Nov 2007
The way they paced this episode felt very interesting to me. Also the fact that this is a sports anime with the drama tag listed makes it all the more promising to me most sport anime I've seen all were comedy after all.
I hope it delivers, then again it's Production I.G. ... they always try their hardest to deliver <3
Oct 3, 2018 1:01 PM

May 2017
This looks quite promising! The music and animation were both beautiful and I'm interested where they're taking this plot. My only complaint is the fact the episode seemed pretty fast-paced, but other than that it was pretty good.
KryltenOct 4, 2018 5:00 AM
Oct 3, 2018 3:15 PM

Dec 2017
Where can i watch it?
Oct 3, 2018 3:26 PM

Oct 2013
Anime of the season right here.

Oct 3, 2018 5:27 PM

Jul 2009
kyoudai said:

Am I the only one wondering why Kakeru went to a girls high school? That seems like a rather intriguing piece of character development to drop in the final few seconds of the episode. Does ep 2 begin with Kakeru's shocking "I used to be a she" confession?? I'm not counting on it, but I'm still curious.

Oh I didn't realize that at all. Lemme re-check that last scene.

But yeah, as super interesting as a development like that would be, i doubt it. It's probably just one of those schools that used to be all girls and is slowly transitioning into co-ed.

Then again.... maybe that would explain why he was so shook every time Haiji walked in on him in the washroom. He might be trans...would also explain why he was so surprised at the end that he knew.
Oct 3, 2018 6:27 PM
⚧ | 愛と平和

Oct 2010
Inugirlz said:
kyoudai said:

But yeah, as super interesting as a development like that would be, i doubt it. It's probably just one of those schools that used to be all girls and is slowly transitioning into co-ed.

Then again.... maybe that would explain why he was so shook every time Haiji walked in on him in the washroom. He might be trans...would also explain why he was so surprised at the end that he knew.

Right, could be, since it's not likely that Kakeru is trans. Heck, I might even be missing the intonation and it could be "brewer's high school" (醸成高校) if such a thing exists (idea for groundbreaking new anime here! cute high school girls learning to make sake! /slaps self) instead of "girl's high school" (女性高校). The translator left it as "josei".

Glad to know that you've already seen this ep so we can debate best boy later. ^_~
Oct 3, 2018 7:50 PM

Oct 2012
Solid first episode. That Haiji sure is a go-getter! This is going to be quite the adventure forming this rag-tag group into a team.
Oct 3, 2018 8:30 PM
May 2007
kyoudai said:
Inugirlz said:

Right, could be, since it's not likely that Kakeru is trans. Heck, I might even be missing the intonation and it could be "brewer's high school" (醸成高校) if such a thing exists (idea for groundbreaking new anime here! cute high school girls learning to make sake! /slaps self) instead of "girl's high school" (女性高校). The translator left it as "josei".

Glad to know that you've already seen this ep so we can debate best boy later. ^_~

That's a translation error. It's actually "josai" (仙台城西高校).
Oct 3, 2018 8:51 PM
⚧ | 愛と平和

Oct 2010
Shadow-Chan said:
That's a translation error. It's actually "josai" (仙台城西高校).
Ah, gotcha, thanks. I wasn't even paying attention to what was said, only the text. I knew better than that, but I was multitasking at the time. :-/
Oct 3, 2018 10:14 PM

May 2013
I found some of the running scene animations looked extremely gimpy. Almost like whoever was animating it had no idea how someone that supposedly has good running for would look when running. Don't get me wrong, in other scenes it looked pretty good, and the bike scene animation was obviously great, but sometimes the running animation looks like an incredibly awkward half jog.

All the being said, it seemed like a pretty straightforward introductory episode, and we'll just see how it turn out. I actually kinda like the run down inn vibes that their dorm has going for it. Feels very cozy (hole in the floor aside).
Oct 4, 2018 1:03 AM

Jan 2012
It was a an okayish first episode in my opinion. I didn't mind the straight way used to introduce all the characters considering the huge cast, even though I would have preferred a more natural introduction of their personal characteristics, for example during the party or even in later episodes.
This episode has also raised my scepticism about the story telling, because of the same reason mentioned by @TheServant:

TheServant said:
Though I am still worried about writing quality overall. Especially with how the first episode's handled the storytelling order, it's weird that they decided to tell it a bit out of order when there's nothing to be had there. There's no interesting revelation because of it, there's nothing evocative. It would've been the same if they told it in chronological order.

The not chronological order didn't add anything to the atmosphere.Initially, it confused me due to the time lap and when I thought that it was done to save time, the scenes were shown anyway.
Oct 4, 2018 1:27 AM
Jan 2016
basilhater said:
The not chronological order didn't add anything to the atmosphere.Initially, it confused me due to the time lap and when I thought that it was done to save time, the scenes were shown anyway.

Exactly. & I am afraid that style of storytelling was not from the original source & just the screenwriter trying to be clever. I am not saying that the original source is better, but he's not exactly the kind of screenwriter that I want to be experimental. I mean, have you seen his screenwriting track record?

Raines said:
Anime of the season right here.

Easy there. Do not get too excited just from the premiere.

LocalTrashcan said:
My only complaint is the fact the episode seemed pretty faced-paced, but other than that it was pretty good.

What's "faced-paced?"
Oct 4, 2018 4:59 AM

May 2017
LocalTrashcan said:
My only complaint is the fact the episode seemed pretty faced-paced, but other than that it was pretty good.

What's "faced-paced?"[/quote]

Sorry. I meant to say fast-paced.
Oct 4, 2018 6:08 AM

Jan 2016
Just passing by to tell that the ED is really good. that is all.
Oct 4, 2018 7:44 AM

Sep 2011
I really liked this first episode!

I knew that I could expect something good since the source is a novel, and the setting wasn't the saturated high school one; but this start was even better than what I expected, and it's looking gorgeous too!

I really liked the main characters, and I can't wait to know more about their circumstances. The rest of the cast is nice too, and I love stories with twins so this is also a plus for me. Oh, and I really liked the OP, and the ED too!
Oct 4, 2018 8:37 AM
Jul 2018
The way that minimalistic music kicked in towards the end was soooo good. Reminded me of Frank Ocean's Endless a bit. Gotta say, best first episode of the season I've seen yet.
Oct 4, 2018 8:50 AM

Feb 2013
At first I am huge fan of the Haikyuu! Series so I am very excited about this anime.

I really enjoyed the first episode but I am scared it just will be a cash grab to all haikyuu! fans that will watch the show because of some hot boys.
It could turn in to something good but also very boring or mediocre.

At least I must say: "THE SOUNDTRACK IS FUCKING AMAZING! JUST LISTEN TO THE LAST OST AT THE FIRST EPISODE THAT PLAYS AROUND 19:05 ITS SO CHILL."
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kaze ga Tsuyoku Fuiteiru Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 26, 2019

210 by Mirorin »»
Apr 14, 4:30 PM

Poll: » Kaze ga Tsuyoku Fuiteiru Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 5, 2019

84 by Mirorin »»
Apr 14, 2:52 PM

Poll: » Kaze ga Tsuyoku Fuiteiru Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 29, 2019

66 by Mirorin »»
Apr 14, 2:38 PM

Poll: » Kaze ga Tsuyoku Fuiteiru Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 22, 2019

93 by Mirorin »»
Apr 14, 2:24 PM

Poll: » Kaze ga Tsuyoku Fuiteiru Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 8, 2019

68 by Mirorin »»
Apr 14, 1:53 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.