Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Oct 2, 2018 9:59 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Not bad, I actually enjoyed this for what's worth regarding the premise and its storytelling style.

The artwork reminds me a bit of Haikyu though regarding its character designs. Regarding Kakeru...I really want to see how they plan to develop his character and there's plenty of room for improvement.

The episode had fan service too which I don't think is a surprise. Solid start so far, has potential.
Oct 2, 2018 10:06 AM

Nov 2007
lol~ I thought Miyu-Miyu's character is a simply a dark otaku, but it turns out he's "itai" otaku (w. that waving the hair with sparkle).

To gather 10 people and the main guy is the 10th.

Wow, the guy from Tanzania speaks fluent Japanese.

It seems like the guy who found main guy to the dorm is like a leader.

Travel -> Hakone -> no transportation, but just foot = Hakone Ekiden (marathon between stations around Hakone).

Back to that guy who called on main guy's point of view. Showing why he called on him. Seeing spark on the main guy who ran? Using the reason he has no money (he didn't pay for the bread at combini and ran very fast) that he was called to the group.

What?! The dorm was to train the marathon?! He's been tricking them to live so that numbers can be gathered?! He wants to join but couldn't because of his injury.

Both OP and ED were nice.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Oct 2, 2018 11:45 AM

Jun 2013
The way they introduced all the characters was crazy, I didn't have an idea what was going on.

To my relief, I liked this first episode a lot, Chiba Takahiro's designs are amazing, so much fluidity and simplicity to them, yet they still have a splendid artwork when staying still.
Also, the soundtrack... Hayashi Yuki's work is great, and the relaxing themes are working perfectly with the show so far.

I have some interest in the protagonist's personality since we didn't see much of that.

The show has promise.
MrMushinOct 2, 2018 11:54 AM
Oct 2, 2018 12:19 PM

Nov 2017
The OP and Ed alike were both pretty damn solid imo, I like the cast already, they kind of gave me this Haikyu! vibe with them being mostly/all male and their quirkiness is already coming through. The show looks promising so far with some great visuals in the first episode already. Story will be what it is so, fun but not crazy deep. OST sounds really nice so far, its upbeat and really captures the running vibe. The scenery stood out imo.
"When you've got a problem you can't fix by yourself, like today, theres a good chance that if you work together with someone else, you can overcome it" - Hayashida to Rei Kiriyama (3 Gatsu no Lion)
Oct 2, 2018 12:30 PM

Mar 2018
I have never really seen any sport anime (except if you count Megalo Box as a sports anime), so this is my first into the genre.

Anyway, this was a really, really solid first episode. Nice Op and Ed, the characters are likable and the structure is really nice. I am pleasantly surprised and I am looking forward to the next episode!
Oct 2, 2018 12:32 PM
Jul 2018
That OST at the end was amazing.
Oct 2, 2018 12:46 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Immediately sold after the first minute of the show. This is looking to be an AOTS candidate for me.

Animation looks fantastic, Production IG has their big guns on this project.

The characters are diverse, what i think will happen is their character development on display (how they will find the way to run in the marathon and why).

OST is great, Yuki Hayashi, nuff' said.
Oct 2, 2018 12:47 PM
Apr 2017
I love the design and visuals, solid first episode, i dislike the littles unnecessary fanservices but is a fun show and a Fall in love with the OP
Artur_MoreiraOct 2, 2018 7:01 PM
Oct 2, 2018 1:04 PM

Jan 2018
Really liked this first episode. The animation/artwork is really good and I like the diverse cast of characters. They all seem pretty unique. I'm glad this is a two cour as well so hopefully they'll all get some proper development throughout the show.
Oct 2, 2018 1:06 PM

Apr 2016
Great animation, the plot looks promising. So far a good impression.

"Le vent se lève!... Il faut tenter de vivre!"
- Paul Valéry, Le Cimetière Marin -

Oct 2, 2018 1:31 PM
Nov 2015
damn this was so good, looking forward to see more next week!
Oct 2, 2018 1:35 PM

May 2015
Kageyama Tobio, is that you?

It seems like there has to be a Kageyama/Haru look-alike in every sport anime (Yowapeda, prince of stride, DnA, Knb, prince of tennis) lol
Oct 2, 2018 1:46 PM

Nov 2016
Yeah, the art indeed reminded at Haikyuu, Ballroom, something in that direction.

Anyway, very good start. First episode already managed to make me feel familiar with the cast. Animation and sound are great as well, as expected of Prodiction I.G.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 2, 2018 1:53 PM

Jan 2013
I don't really like the character designs except Haiji, Kakeru and that bookworm guy, but well I didn't like designs in Haikyuu either so it doesn't surpsise me, they're so similar. The story seemed weird at first but I was hooked by the end of the episode, and the comedy moments were great. Can't wait to find out more about the characters (especially main ones). 4/5 episode imo.
fuyukiOct 2, 2018 2:03 PM
Oct 2, 2018 2:42 PM

May 2015
Nothing amazing so far, besides the production values. But I've liked every sports show I've watched till now, so I doubt this will be any different.

Oct 2, 2018 2:47 PM

Apr 2018
It was quite interesting, but it's too soon to have a complete opinion about this anime; I really liked both opening and ending, a bit less the character's design, though it's very similar to Haikyuu's.
We'll see more in the next episodes, but it's really promising by now.
Oct 2, 2018 3:25 PM

Jul 2017
Pretty good episode. I like the OP and ED, and the chemistry that was showcased in this episode was great.

I'm kinda intrigued to see the potential of this show in the next few episodes.
Oct 2, 2018 3:28 PM
May 2015
I reeaallly liked the first episode, can't wait until next week. Loving the soundtracks so far as well!
Oct 2, 2018 3:49 PM

Mar 2010
well I'm curious on why the main character quit running. Haji seemed like he hurt in the leg...

Well is this a team running thing or competitive between each other?

Ending is nice
Oct 2, 2018 4:11 PM

Jul 2009
ArtG1 said:

It seems like there has to be a Kageyama/Haru look-alike in every sport anime (Yowapeda, prince of stride, DnA, Knb, prince of tennis) lol

Honestly they didn't have to make him look (and act) so similar. Hell, even the MC from Battery is similar
Oct 2, 2018 4:30 PM

May 2015
Really nice first episode! As stated by a lot of other people, the character designs are very similar to Haikyuu and that's definitely not a complaint. I'm liking the characters personalities too, they all seem to be pretty interesting. It's been a while since I watched a sports anime with this kind of atmosphere that has really nice visuals and a good OST to match so I'm really looking forward to more. Also, I'm so glad it's 23 episodes.

♡ artist
サコ
Oct 2, 2018 4:45 PM

Apr 2009
The first half was really a dud, dumping all characters one after another like you are going through a checklist is never a good idea.

ArtG1 said:

Oct 2, 2018 4:58 PM

Dec 2014
Fantastic start, very very promising.

I was totally hooked the moment Haiji cycled beside Kakeru and asked if he like running. Strange how a simple moment enough is like that is enough to convey what the show would be like.

They wasted no time introducing us to everyone, it's gonna take me a while to remember them all but the guys seem quirky and fun so I'm sure they'll all grow on me.

The party was great, Haiji wasted no time in dropping the bomb om everyone. I couldn't stop laughing when he showed everyone how he played them all by making them actually join the club while applying for a place to stay. XD

Loved the way they showed the opening moments later on and then fast forwarded through the entire episode as the sounds of wind blows. Great direction there.

Production looks fantastic, IG bringing their game here. So much promise, so much potential here, I hope IG outdo themselves. With this level of production and Yuki Hayashi behind the music, I hope this is the second coming of Haikyuu. XD

OP and ED are great as well, the ED especially is fantastic. Oh wow, just looked it up and it looks like the full version of the ED is already out. Awesome. xD

Anyone who's more familiar with Japanese, doesn't 'Kaze ga Tsuyoku Fuiteiru' technically mean 'The Wind's blowing strongly'? I guess, anime titles are never really translated literally but here it seems like they changed the meaning.
Oct 2, 2018 5:52 PM

Dec 2016
Definitely an intriguing first episode and judging off of the manga's length and this show's length it's looking like the entire story will be told in one go which is always nice, especially when even great anime never get sequels, let alone the entire story adapted

Also I like the cast already, Nico-senpai best boi
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Oct 2, 2018 6:24 PM

Jan 2011
was looking forward to checking this out since at first i was like this looks a lot like Haikyuu but that's because it's a sports anime by IG lol

no complaints so far seems like a solid start quality is there because *I.G* and the music is jaming.

quickest introduction i've seen in a while lol just banged out all ten of them within the first half
Oct 2, 2018 6:54 PM

Oct 2015
I'm telling you this will be an anime to watch and a great anime of the season. The animation is great and the story is really promising.

I enjoyed this first episode and I think I will love it. It has that Haikyuu aura.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Oct 2, 2018 7:13 PM

Mar 2018
Woah. That was pretty cool for the first episode. So it turns out they know each other but Kakeru doesn't remember. The song at the end before the ending was nice.
"Those that break the rules and regulations are scum. But those who abandon their friends are even worse than scum." -Obito Uchiha
Oct 2, 2018 7:15 PM

May 2010
Weird, I'm losing focus around 1/3...tried to pay attention again when ED start but still. Will put this on hold first.
Oct 2, 2018 7:33 PM

Jun 2015
Very good start, Kageyama is back
Oct 2, 2018 7:38 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
It was an enjoyable first episode, nothing amazing, but definitely a good intro. I do like a college cast instead of high schoolers. Dorm life is always as fun as well. Hayashi Yuuki's music score fits well, as usual. The only slight complaint I have is the style of the character designs, it's not bad at all, I do like the style, but it doesn't give the series it's own identity upon first look. I keep getting reminded of Haikyuu and Ballroom, just like when I watched the new LotGH and thinking about KnB, lol. I get that if a style works, then it's safe to use it, but I'd prefer seeing something different. The character designs look better than the manga adaptation's though :>

Anyways, looking forward to the story unfold. It's not always that we can get a full adaptation of a story.
Oct 2, 2018 7:53 PM

Aug 2018
The Op and ED were amazing and really gave you a clear view of the characters and where this anime could be headed. I loved the way they showed all of the characters because it was fast and really got the point across of their attitude. I'm a big runner myself and seeing a running anime come out this season is a breath of fresh air from the harem, slice of life, and other stuff coming out. I hope this anime goes somewhere!

Oct 2, 2018 7:54 PM

Jul 2016
Not bad, it was an ok episode. Mostly all the cast was presented and it was indeed a bit chaotic but since all of them live in the same place, it was predictable. That's quite a lively residence, to be honest.

Not much to say. I liked the way this show started but it's just the first episode. Let see what it has to offer us. Personally I want to know more about Haiji, his motivation and what happened to his knee. That sure is a serious injury.
Oct 2, 2018 9:25 PM

Nov 2007
stardew said:
Well is this a team running thing or competitive between each other?
Team running. Check this.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Oct 2, 2018 10:01 PM

Apr 2009
Why is this giving me such strong "Welcome to the Ballroom" vibes? Is it the character designs? The occasional giraffe necking? It's Production I.G., sure, but I'm not seeing any connections beyond that.
Oct 2, 2018 10:55 PM

Aug 2014
i was hoping for a new sport show to watch but first ep is kinda meh.. hopefully it gets better
Oct 2, 2018 11:45 PM
Jan 2016
I enjoyed the relaxing feel of this anime, as expected. Though I am still worried about writing quality overall. Especially with how the first episode's handled the storytelling order, it's weird that they decided to tell it a bit out of order when there's nothing to be had there. There's no interesting revelation because of it, there's nothing evocative. It would've been the same if they told it in chronological order. & could any one who read the source material tell me whether this style of storytelling comes from the source or the anime staff's idea?

jlutholtz said:
Why is this giving me such strong "Welcome to the Ballroom" vibes? Is it the character designs? The occasional giraffe necking? It's Production I.G., sure, but I'm not seeing any connections beyond that.

The character design is definitely similar to Welcome to the Ballroom, & both anime have the same band for the OP song.

K4STOR said:
I loved the way they showed all of the characters because it was fast and really got the point across of their attitude.

It's good that you liked it, but from a narrative standpoint, it's quite lazy to introduce all of the characters at once & in your face(full name, the quirk, etc.) like that. They could've done it more fluidly by make the protagonist stumbled upon them when he's searching his room by himself, or even that dinner scene was enough to introduce all of them.
Oct 3, 2018 12:25 AM

Mar 2009
This was great. Best first episode of the season so far. A lot of quality people working on this one. And it's an adaptation of an actual novel, so that means it's automatically good.
Oct 3, 2018 12:27 AM

Feb 2017
Production IG + sports, so I have high hopes for this. And so far so good!
Good introductory episode, I already like the cast and their chemistry.

Good animation is to be expected from IG. Sound is great so far too.
I'll definitely be following this, it's really promising so far.
TsarkoOct 3, 2018 12:34 AM
Oct 3, 2018 4:18 AM

Dec 2017
Just finished the first episode and I've got to admit this was one the best looking shows I've watched in this year's seasonal shows. The art style is crisp and the colours are very vibrant. The character designs are similar to Haikyuu! but the difference this show will have is that most of Hailyuu!'s scenes took place inside the volleyball court. This one is a running show so it has a lot of great animation of the natural scenery. The OST pumped up the anticipation of what's in store in the upcoming episodes and include it with that banger ending song and the sound is definitely something that's A grade.
But the best part of the show was the cast. All the members have their own quirks. The MCs include one guy who resembles Kageyama from Haikyuu! but the other guy, Haiji, was definitely the star of the show. Looking forward to him the most.
neilOct 3, 2018 4:42 AM
Oct 3, 2018 4:59 AM
May 2015
I like that is college theme not high school theme
Oct 3, 2018 5:24 AM

May 2015
Great, it's not about school. I liked the way Haiji tricked everyone to join the club.

Very promising start, and considering it's 23 episodes for 50 manga chapters, I hope we'll see a full story. Oh, and it's from the same author as Fune wo Amu, yeah, definitely high hopes.
Oct 3, 2018 5:52 AM
⚧ | 愛と平和

Oct 2010
Inugirlz said:
ArtG1 said:

Honestly they didn't have to make him look (and act) so similar. Hell, even the MC from Battery is similar

At least he has a different VA besides Ishikawa Kaito (Kageyama) or Shimazaki Nobunaga (Furuya and Haru).

Am I the only one wondering why Kakeru went to a girls high school? That seems like a rather intriguing piece of character development to drop in the final few seconds of the episode. Does ep 2 begin with Kakeru's shocking "I used to be a she" confession?? I'm not counting on it, but I'm still curious.
✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣
“The right to think is the beginning of freedom, and speech must be protected
from the government because speech is the beginning of thought.”
  — Ashcroft v.Free Speech Coalition,
✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣
Oct 3, 2018 6:02 AM

Oct 2013
I'm loving the first episode! I think this is going to one of my favourites for this season! + Mukai Taichi singing the ED OMG DID NOT EXPECT THIS... ONE MY FAVOURITE SINGERS LDSKFJLSKDFJLSDKJFSDFSDKL dying
Oct 3, 2018 6:32 AM

Apr 2015
Didn't know I would open the season with this but anyhow, good opener. Wasn't stunningly gripping, but did a good job introducing the characters- despite the large cast, it didn't feel cluttered at all! Some scenes very impressive, like the first and last scenes and the fast forward flashback. Visually flawless too, I'm sold so far
Oct 3, 2018 7:10 AM
Aug 2012
I'm confused. When did Kageyama leave the volleyball team?
Oct 3, 2018 8:13 AM

Feb 2018
it is a good first episode. they executed the premise very well. This series will remind you to Haikkyu and Ballroom e Youkoso (all by Production I.G.). Because this series has same character designer as Haikkyu (Takahiro Chiba), same sound director as Haikkyu and Ballroom (Hiromi Kikuta) and same composer as My Hero Academia and Haikkyu (Yuuki Hayashi). So i think this series has potential especially production value.

Now how great this series will be depend on story from source material. Personally i like how this series take place in college, not in High School as Haikkyu, KnB or Eyeshield. i wonder how college theme will combine with sport anime
Oct 3, 2018 8:27 AM
Apr 2018
It felt like a fairly rushed episode. It would have been much better if they didn't time skip like they did. Hope this show is well paced and that is likely since it's going 2 cours. I hope it doesn't have the issues Harukana Recieve had but since this is about running I dont think that will be the case.
Oct 3, 2018 8:58 AM

Oct 2008
UNISON SQUARE GARDEN always provides us such quality OPs!
This show's art style reminds me of Ballroom e Youkoso...then i checked...of course its from Production I.G.!
1st episode starts a calm and slow but i'm up for it!
4/5.

Oct 3, 2018 9:06 AM

May 2017
This looks promising and that's what you would expect from Production I.G when it comes to sports. Hopefully they'll live up to the hype.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 3, 2018 9:07 AM

Aug 2017
So far, this is the most decent start from this season. Basically, we were introduced to the characters and the main plot. Also, there is some questions that the anime would reply in the future like Haiji's knee, Kakeru stealing and the Hakone Ekiden.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kaze ga Tsuyoku Fuiteiru Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 26, 2019

210 by Mirorin »»
Apr 14, 4:30 PM

Poll: » Kaze ga Tsuyoku Fuiteiru Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 5, 2019

84 by Mirorin »»
Apr 14, 2:52 PM

Poll: » Kaze ga Tsuyoku Fuiteiru Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 29, 2019

66 by Mirorin »»
Apr 14, 2:38 PM

Poll: » Kaze ga Tsuyoku Fuiteiru Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 22, 2019

93 by Mirorin »»
Apr 14, 2:24 PM

Poll: » Kaze ga Tsuyoku Fuiteiru Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 8, 2019

68 by Mirorin »»
Apr 14, 1:53 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.