Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 11, 2018 5:25 PM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This was actually a pretty thrilling episode.

An ordinary construction guy like that dealing with the supernatural is something he's not ready for. Then, there's Mana dealing with her own problems in the forest. A bit of a sad moment at the end..
Aug 11, 2018 10:58 PM

Jan 2017
This was the best episode of the entire series so far, without a doubt in my mind. It takes on some real and emotional issues of the past revolving around the aftermath of war, and pulls on the heart strings.

5/5 - if you watch any Gegege no Kitaro episode, make it this one.

Aug 11, 2018 11:04 PM

Jan 2017
Stark700 said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This was actually a pretty thrilling episode.

An ordinary construction guy like that dealing with the supernatural is something he's not ready for. Then, there's Mana dealing with her own problems in the forest. A bit of a sad moment at the end..

I tried to DM you this, but couldn't. So:

You retired man? Before the website outage you were still an active mod / on the news team weren't you?

Sad to see you retired, but happy you're still doing a lot of the episode discussion threads.

Aug 11, 2018 11:56 PM

May 2010
I feel that there's a hidden message in this episode.
Aug 12, 2018 1:53 AM

Mar 2014
Gnowmickly said:
I feel that there's a hidden message in this episode.

this week was the week when Japan lost the war in 1945
August 6 was the day they dropped the bomb on Hiroshima, the 9th they dropped another one one Nagasaki and Russia declared it war on Japan (wich was long overdue but an important factor aswell), starting negotiations of surrender, wich ended on the 15th of August

it is not a coincidence this episode was aired this week, and its an important reminder to the youth of today to never forget the horrors of war, and to not make the same mistakes again.
i think they don't seem to teach 2nd world war history that well in Japan ether, which is a problem in itself. that explains Mana knowing nothing about what actually happened during the war.
M.P.D.S./F.O.A.D.
Aug 12, 2018 4:22 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
That was so heavy, the standout episodes of this show are actually incredible.

Fuck me.
Aug 12, 2018 6:42 AM

Oct 2008
At this point, Mana's affinity with youkai is so high its gonna be an everyday routine for her to detect any youkai presence!
Sensou spirits huh...
4/5.

Aug 12, 2018 7:03 AM

May 2012
Many episodes like the last one have included "subversive" messages, but this episode is truly remarkable. Mana's belief that the US were the instigators in World War II shows how the Japanese educational system still cannot come to grips with Japan's aggressive imperialism. Apparently she had never heard of Pearl Harbor.

Anything touching on the War is a minefield for anime producers. The episode of Senkou no Night Raid that concerned the "Mukden incident" was only carried on the web for similar reasons.

What a remarkable show this is given that it is allegedly targeted at children. Episodes seven and nine which satirize the Japanese workplace are also worth a watch by those not committed to watching the entire series.

Me, I'm glad to see the show is scheduled for at least fifty episodes.
SeijiSenseiAug 12, 2018 7:06 AM
Aug 12, 2018 7:59 AM

Jan 2015
This was such a powerful, beautifully done episode... The iconography of the flowers, the sentiments they possessed, and their having been birthed out of the travesty of war, and all of those sadly unkept promises; it was all incredibly meaningful. It really reminded me of the standoff between Naked Snake and the Boss, at the end of MGS3, too.
~ sXeblues - Reviews on Youtube ~
Aug 12, 2018 9:04 AM

Sep 2011
I'm not sure I've absorbed all this episode was trying to convey, but it was really meaningful and moving.

This time there wasn't a youkai or even Nanashi involved, just the lingering feelings of a man that wasn't able to fulfill the promise he made to his beloved. The worst part of it all is how they were torn apart because of his family, I can only imagine how desolate and sad Toshiko's life was without ever knowing for sure what befell the one she cared about. The only solace is that his letter, his last words meant for her were finally able to reach their destination.

I also liked how they brought up Mana's summer homework for a reason, instead of just being a detail or something, it was to work as closure, to remind us that we take peace for granted, but that we shouldn't forget about our past as humans. Even today there are people suffering the after effects of war, in many ways, in many places and the least we can do is to not forget it.
Aug 12, 2018 10:39 AM
Jun 2016
This show has had some great moments, but this is definetly one of my favorites, the other being the yokai train.
Aug 12, 2018 11:20 AM

Apr 2015
Ok, this episode was a true masterpiece. Appealing with a little love story, nothing original, but god this was so well realized... Criticisms of japanese national education, the duty memory which, when it is not really made, to secural behavior, the symbolism of flowers...all was great. Definitely my favorite episode. I think the anime production take a risk to product that, by knowing the taboos in Japanese society around the WW2, and the context of diffusion. I'm really surprised that toei let this episode be diffused

Edit : Knowing that Shigeru Mizuki, the author of the manga, was a soldier at the WW2 where he lost his left arm, this episode is a great homage to the mangaka.
Starck_EoleAug 12, 2018 11:25 AM
Aug 12, 2018 12:11 PM

Jul 2015
God DAMN THAT EPISODE WAS GOOD. Nearly made me want to look up some freakin history myself. This anime is great.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Aug 12, 2018 6:00 PM

Mar 2018
I shed manly tears today, what a good episode...
Aug 13, 2018 8:21 AM

Oct 2015
I thought it was a nice touch to see Kawauso's shell boat again, like in the 80s version.
Aug 13, 2018 9:54 AM

Feb 2012
A great episode with a sensitive theme.
Aug 14, 2018 11:36 AM
Jun 2017
What a beautiful episode! Really introspective about Japan's role in WWII and on the plight of the soldiers who die on foreign lands never to return. Can relate to this irrespective of nationality.
Aug 14, 2018 12:00 PM

May 2012
The Wikipedia article for Shigeru Mizaki, the creator of Gegege no Kitarou, mentions that he was drafted in 1942 and sent to Papua New Guinea where he lost his dominant arm (!) and was the only survivor of his unit. That he could still become a famous manga-ka using only his inferior arm is astounding. I can hardly draw a lick with my off-hand.
Aug 14, 2018 3:42 PM

Oct 2017
SeijiSensei said:
The Wikipedia article for Shigeru Mizaki, the creator of Gegege no Kitarou, mentions that he was drafted in 1942 and sent to Papua New Guinea where he lost his dominant arm (!) and was the only survivor of his unit. That he could still become a famous manga-ka using only his inferior arm is astounding. I can hardly draw a lick with my off-hand.

I always like these kinds of stories, about people who overcome adversity and make a name for themselves. They should have a historical anime just about him. It would be so much better than majority of the historical anime that is coming out now.

Another one I really like is Elon Musk’s. Dude was an african migrant escaping persecution in his home country. Came to canada with nothing but a backpack, and created billion dollar companies.
Aug 15, 2018 6:31 PM

Sep 2013
Japan also did war like every nation ever but they get the most blamed for it.
Aug 16, 2018 2:57 AM

Jun 2013
Kawauso was piloting the clam shell ship! So cute! I liked him in the last episode and think he's so adorable. It's nice to see him again. I want to see Sunekosuri again. I wish that he could be Kitarou's pet or something.

Wow, I wasn't expecting GGGnK to admit a part of Japanese history that others tried to hide. Kitarou, Medama Oyaji and even Nezumi Otoko remembered it. That was kind of heartbreaking. She learned something from the yokai, who have lived for a long time, something that is probably not taught at her school anymore.

God this episode was heavy. :( Finding Soujirou's corpse inside that tree with his undelivered letter for her Aunt Toshiko.
臭い-
Aug 16, 2018 1:26 PM

Jan 2016
During the war Shigeru Mizuki was sent to New Britain. He never had any interest in fighting nor was he particularly patriotic. He was forced in the army and just followed orders, albeit barely. He was too carefree, laid-back and introspective to make a good soldier. He was kinda lucky, because Allies decided not to assault New Britain and japanese headquarters in its biggest city Rabaul. Instead US navy surrounded them and blocked from the outside world until the end of the war. It probably saved Mizuki's life. He never participated in any major battles. But still there were plenty of fighting going on on the island. And bombings were incessant. One time Mizuki miraculously avoided participation in one of the infamous death charges, when his officers decided to execute suicide attack for no logical reason. In the end, he somahow survived, through luck, healthy appetite for life and sheer force of will.
It is fascinating that even in the worst situations he kept his phenomenal optimism. He was just too interested in life to give up. He somehow managed to befriend indigenous tolai people of the island during the war. And afterwards they urged him to stay and live with them. He was interested in local supernatural life and once bumped into Nurikabe yokai in local jungles. It happened at night, and yokay stopped him from falling from a cliff.
But at the same time Mizuki registered and pondered over the horrors of war. He never had any illusions about it. He knew that japanese people brought these horrors upon themselves. And he spoke and wrote extensively about this time in country's history. In his short "Onward Towards Our Noble Deaths". And later in his magnum opus "Showa: A History of Japan" - tragic account... presented by Nezumi Otoko.

This episode is a good one. It is important to talk about war. Because Mizuki was yokai expert and war chronicler in equal measure.
Aug 16, 2018 4:19 PM

Apr 2017
Now that's an epic episode, made the rarely emotional me shed tears.. It's important to talk about war, so many lives were taken, so many bonds broken, it's a terrible thing. As someone who's always curious about history this episode really was a great surprise. Thank you Shigeru Mizuki for this one ! 5/5 the best of this show so far.
Aug 19, 2018 5:31 AM

Mar 2009
ChrisMarlowe said:
During the war Shigeru Mizuki was sent to New Britain. He never had any interest in fighting nor was he particularly patriotic. He was forced in the army and just followed orders, albeit barely. He was too carefree, laid-back and introspective to make a good soldier. He was kinda lucky, because Allies decided not to assault New Britain and japanese headquarters in its biggest city Rabaul. Instead US navy surrounded them and blocked from the outside world until the end of the war. It probably saved Mizuki's life. He never participated in any major battles. But still there were plenty of fighting going on on the island. And bombings were incessant. One time Mizuki miraculously avoided participation in one of the infamous death charges, when his officers decided to execute suicide attack for no logical reason. In the end, he somahow survived, through luck, healthy appetite for life and sheer force of will.
It is fascinating that even in the worst situations he kept his phenomenal optimism. He was just too interested in life to give up. He somehow managed to befriend indigenous tolai people of the island during the war. And afterwards they urged him to stay and live with them. He was interested in local supernatural life and once bumped into Nurikabe yokai in local jungles. It happened at night, and yokay stopped him from falling from a cliff.
But at the same time Mizuki registered and pondered over the horrors of war. He never had any illusions about it. He knew that japanese people brought these horrors upon themselves. And he spoke and wrote extensively about this time in country's history. In his short "Onward Towards Our Noble Deaths". And later in his magnum opus "Showa: A History of Japan" - tragic account... presented by Nezumi Otoko.

This episode is a good one. It is important to talk about war. Because Mizuki was yokai expert and war chronicler in equal measure.

Wow. Shigeru Mizuki had quite the life. Thank you for posting all this.

Phenomenal episode. Kitaro can be such a poignant and deeply affecting show. I'm disappointed in myself that the current series is only now my first introduction to the world of GeGeGe no Kitaro. It's clearly a special series, and hopefully I can go back one day and watch the older entries.
Aug 20, 2018 11:17 PM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
Holy moly. I really hope it's not the case that kids in Japan actually don't know that Japan also invaded other countries. I mean, I've seen other shows/comics downplay it like Hetalia and I've known that there were Japanese war apologists, but I thought they were kinda not the norm. But yes, Japan's often cruel actions against other nations is the reason why many other countries in Asia hold animosity towards Japan even today. Even now, many aren't too fond of Japan's former flag (Rising Sun) being used in popular culture.
Anyway, I'm glad that they took the time to emphasize that Japan doesn't have a perfect history and did some pretty bad things, yet at the same time war is war and it's terrible and heartbreaking when people lose their lives for such things.

But wow this was a poignant episode. Definitely teared up at the end.

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Nov 30, 2018 5:37 AM

Jan 2011
ichii_1 said:
Japan also did war like every nation ever but they get the most blamed for it.
Oh fuck off. If anything they're given a pass more often than not.
May 23, 2020 1:14 PM

Oct 2010
now make an episode with americans bombing the world in the name of peace
Aug 31, 2023 5:38 PM
Jul 2017
Username23489023 said:
SeijiSensei said:
The Wikipedia article for Shigeru Mizaki, the creator of Gegege no Kitarou, mentions that he was drafted in 1942 and sent to Papua New Guinea where he lost his dominant arm (!) and was the only survivor of his unit.  That he could still become a famous manga-ka using only his inferior arm is astounding.  I can hardly draw a lick with my off-hand.

I always like these kinds of stories, about people who overcome adversity and make a name for themselves.  They should have a historical anime just about him.  It would be so much better than majority of the historical anime that is coming out now.

Another one I really like is Elon Musk’s.  Dude was an african migrant escaping persecution in his home country.  Came to canada with nothing but a backpack, and created billion dollar companies.
Well, that aged like milk.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gegege no Kitarou (2018) Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

moodie - Mar 31, 2018

109 by TripleC »»
Oct 23, 2023 2:35 AM

Poll: » Gegege no Kitarou (2018) Episode 95 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 14, 2020

7 by Punkero »»
Mar 31, 2023 5:59 PM

Poll: » Gegege no Kitarou (2018) Episode 93 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 15, 2020

10 by Punkero »»
Mar 29, 2023 5:35 PM

Poll: » Gegege no Kitarou (2018) Episode 88 Discussion

Stark700 - Jan 11, 2020

8 by Punkero »»
Mar 8, 2023 5:03 PM

Poll: » Gegege no Kitarou (2018) Episode 97 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 28, 2020

19 by abystoma2 »»
Feb 3, 2023 1:27 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.