Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 10, 2018 4:07 PM

Apr 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Wasn't expecting such developments at episode three! Bittersweet...
Aug 10, 2018 10:25 PM

Apr 2016
nehnehneji said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.

I know. It broke my heart. It cemented this series as a contender for romance of the year. I was going to give it to After the Rain ☔️ , but I realized I mostly liked that show as a drama. There’s just so much progress with this show. I also love the characters more. I can’t ignore it.
Aug 13, 2018 4:48 AM

Feb 2018
I was crying about this episode xD
Aug 13, 2018 4:49 AM

Feb 2018
DarkConan1412 said:
nehnehneji said:

I know. It broke my heart. It cemented this series as a contender for romance of the year. I was going to give it to After the Rain ☔️ , but I realized I mostly liked that show as a drama. There’s just so much progress with this show. I also love the characters more. I can’t ignore it.
i agree about your opinion but this anime no have drama genre.
Aug 14, 2018 1:55 AM

Mar 2009
This episode almost made me cry.
Aug 17, 2018 6:41 AM
May 2018
Oh man, this was such a emotional episode, for a moment I thought that Ono would say something to Yaguchi, it's just episode 3 and we are seeing a lot of character development, this show's starting in a great way.
Aug 20, 2018 9:50 PM

Jul 2015
Meh soul meh heart... ;__;
These lousy adults really have no idea whats best for Oono >:(
Aug 21, 2018 8:48 AM

Jul 2007
I did not expect this. I REPEAT. I DID NOT EXPECT THIS. ; _ ;
Damn it!!! His smile at the end was pretty creepy though
Sep 14, 2018 10:25 AM

Dec 2014
wait was this last episode,,… it seemed that way… yep gonna miss it hahaha
Sep 24, 2018 11:03 AM

Aug 2017
Suddenly, the episode became emotional. I like it.

I didn't expect that she leaves so early.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Sep 28, 2018 7:30 AM

Jan 2011
Before this aired I thought this would have been a good part to end it, but I guess they couldn't resist speeding along.
Oct 4, 2018 8:57 PM

Apr 2016
Damn, that was pretty tough. That cry tho.
[
Oct 9, 2018 5:27 PM

May 2012
I must say that was quite emotional that ending! Still don't like the progression and CGI. But that ED is really gold <3
Oct 15, 2018 8:05 PM

Jun 2011
ending was cringy asf instead of emotional, from Haruo not wanting to give her any farewell presents, to him rushing over to the airport to see her off, to him voicing all his honest thoughts, to her giving him a farewell hug and bawling her eyes out.. if this was platonic maybe it would've somewhat worked but this girl barely or have yet to even spoke a single word since her introduction and we're supposed to feel something lol it's not like she's a mute.

The presentation is as basic/cliche as it can get. But I suppose it gives an excuse to do a timeskip because every manga has to take place in a high school.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Oct 17, 2018 6:05 PM
Aug 2017
Damn im speechless
Dec 10, 2018 1:03 AM

Aug 2015
It's kinda sad Haruo is such a nerd he can't go up to Ono without prefacing his goodbye with game talk

Ono, can't you fucking say something?
She only communicates through punching and body language. It's hard to feel anything about a character like that, 'cause she's closer to being a cat than a person.

Video game mediated The Graduate moment lol
Didn't expect her to get on that plane.
Dec 24, 2018 9:42 AM

Apr 2015
The jokes about penis bones and oral sex were a bit surprising, considering Netflix gave this a PG. If Ono's gone, is penis bone girl our new waifu?
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Dec 31, 2018 6:24 AM
Jun 2013
ok so the pink hair kid is a girl? She sure is molestery. umm seemed rather early to do all this dramatic stuff and I didn't feel much though I will admit I laughed when blanka talked it was just gibberish. Also with her crying like this and never talking it comes off as she has some sort of mental problem.
souledge94Dec 31, 2018 6:28 AM
Dec 31, 2018 10:38 AM

Nov 2013
owww so sad :( Didn't expect such turn of events.. (not so soon lol)

P.S CGI is just wrong :(
Jan 4, 2019 11:57 PM

May 2015
This felt like season finale and it's just ep 3. I'm loving this show so much.
Jan 8, 2019 4:32 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
SUDDEN SADNESS APPEARS?

I was not expecting this at all? We even got dramatic airport scene. But even with the sudden pay off of the ring and arc ending it's not enough!
Jan 9, 2019 7:50 PM
Jan 2019
I'm on my second rewatch and this airport scene still hits my feels. Unlike others here, I don't think this feels rushed or weird, even on my first watch.

There's a good reason Oono is so silent. It's a metaphor that depicts the person she is forced to become despite her, and given her circumstances, it totally makes sense. Her speech, free will, emotions have been stripped away from her by her family.

About the crying being uncalled for, yes I get it, it felt sudden, but it was hard felt. You can hear her crying her soul out. Not only was she stripped from all her freedom since she was born, raised to become someone she isn't, she is now forced to leave everything she knew aside, and leave her only comrade that made her feel comfortable and perhaps started to like. On top of that, said person comes all the way to the airport and bids you farewell with a freaking ring. Hell, she was what... 10-11 years old and forced to go to some foreign land despite her ? How would you feel ? She bursted in tears, because of all the burden on her shoulders. I think I would too, given the circumstances.

About the CG, I think I read somewhere along the lines that the author felt the "older" animation method would fit a retro-gaming story happening in 1991 better. It could possibly be for financial reasons as well. Nonetheless, I think it fits the story pretty well.
ValcyclovirJan 9, 2019 7:55 PM
Jan 9, 2019 8:24 PM
Jan 2017
This episode was quite surprising. But so far I am lloving this anime so far ^^
Jan 25, 2019 2:27 AM

May 2013
I didn't know that purple haired... thing.... was a girl LMAO. I feel slightly bad now xD Thought it was a pervy ghey guy hahahaha

Doi is flamboyant as always omg XD I wanna smack his face but he's also funny like that lolololol

OH MY FUCKING GAWWWDDDDD, WHEN STUPID GUILE SAID FANEFFU I DIED LAUGHING MY ASS OFF AND HAD TO REPLAY THE SCENE 3 FUCKING MORE TIMES XDDDD Let me catch my breath for a minute here. OMFGGGGGG XD

So sad Ono had to go tho ;~;
Silly me for thinking he as a lil kid could stop her or that she'd actually have say, ahhah </3 Come back to play soon, Ono~
The ring was really cute C:
Jan 29, 2019 10:18 PM

Feb 2010
What the heck. That was so sweet and sad.
FOLLOW MY SOCIAL MEDIA IF YOU LIKE COSPLAY ADN ANIME RELATED VIDEOS!
https://www.youtube.com/user/LadyMeilin
https://www.facebook.com/Ladymeilin
Feb 12, 2019 8:04 AM
Apr 2016
Right when they start getting closer, she moves overseas... Dramatic cool episode. I'm guessing we're gonna get a timeskip (?)
Mar 7, 2019 4:15 PM

Jun 2015
Sexual arousal from kids? yo wtf
Switch_ZMar 7, 2019 8:35 PM
Mar 14, 2019 9:45 AM

Aug 2009
Wow okay, I did not see this development coming. When they said she was gonna move abroad, I was like "pff that's definitely not gonna happen, they're gonna fix it somehow" but then we got a surprisingly good and sad airport scene (the setting is still kinda cliche, but whatever) and she actually flew away! And we got to hear her voice for the first time! It leaves a pretty big impact since it's used during her devastating cry.

I'm really curious what's gonna happen next. It keeps improving slowly but steadily.
Apr 17, 2019 7:55 AM

Jun 2017
Damn...that was legit sad ;(. didnt expect it to tug on my heartstrings that much :'(

first time we heard ono's voice. she was only crying though,so it is still not confirmed whether or not she is mute.

I wonder how they are going to continue though. moving it to the present and having them be all grown up or something?
FFTHEWINNERApr 17, 2019 8:01 AM
Jun 11, 2019 11:10 AM

Feb 2019
WHat!?!? Didn't expect this. It made me sad
owkey
Jul 4, 2019 10:56 AM

Sep 2012
typical selfish parents not thinking about their kids and how hard it is to adjust in a new place

is that1 even a girl or some type of animal 😂😂😂😂

Sugram22Jul 4, 2019 11:00 AM
Jul 4, 2019 10:58 AM

Sep 2012
Switch_Z said:
Sexual arousal from kids? yo wtf

maybe they are in the beginning of their teens?
Aug 9, 2019 12:21 AM

Jan 2008
That was definitely the best episode of the series so far.

The ending scene at the airport was heartbreaking. It was nice to see Ono's "dere" side at last when she broke down crying in his arms. It's only unfortunate they did not do the build-up so well, since it's been three episodes and we barely know those characters and they barely know each other. I'm not saying it's bad, just that the emotional payoff could have been better.

In any case, I'm excited to see where this is going now.
Sep 15, 2019 6:10 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Mormegil said:
This episode almost made me cry.

Same here brother.... wtf, wasnt expecting this kind of development, if done, it is usually left towards the end, so kudos on the mangaka for that.
But now I get to check ep4 to have my heart healed or further crushed.

Ono is so cute usually, that sudden display of emotions like that, that face, that really SUCKS...

The ending theme is so cute, love the animation there.
Sep 19, 2019 7:02 AM

Jun 2009
It was sad when she cried

then she grabbed his face and it became funny...

Then I'm reminded I'm supposed to be sad and becoming invested

Then the freaking scratch lines on his face... Oh gosh!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 6, 2019 5:48 PM
Sep 2018
Bear in mind, they started hanging out the previous school year, and hung out all summer.

Yes, the majority of that was off stage. We didn't see it, but it did occur.

So, their having developed as strong a relationship as showed up in this episode isn't something that happened rapidly, "in just 3 episodes" at the rate time normally passes in anime. What we've been seeing is snapshots taken in passing over the course of at least four, five, maybe more months than that.

He's the only person to have a true common interest with her. The only one to recognize what she's feeling, just from watching her. The only one to give a damn about her desires and interests, to willingly do things she was interested in with her even if it wasn't what he'd planned on doing.

So, yeah. He actually admitted his feelings to himself, got off his ass and went to the airport, confessed his feelings to her, and she broke down. Completely crash and burn.

I don't know where they're going from here. I haven't read the manga, have no clue whatsoever.

But I'll watch it. To the very end. Because this is one of the best anime I've ever seen.
Nov 26, 2019 8:40 PM
Aug 2017
Goddamn, this scene got me. Akira never talkef tho
Jan 5, 2020 2:44 PM
May 2013
this was perfect. i lost it when Guile started motivating Haruo out of nowhere, and again when Blanka just growled. at the departure, i thought that they'd keep it to just a teary-eyed walk away. so glad they went all out - it's the natural reaction when you're forced to leave the one person to ever make you feel happy.
felipecardelJan 6, 2020 11:44 AM
May 18, 2020 10:43 AM

Mar 2016
TEARS TEARS SO MANY TEARS
Jul 8, 2020 4:50 AM
Aug 2018
That one scene with Haruo and all the game characters was so cool and touching, but also the next scene in the airport was next level heartwarming material.
Jun 7, 2021 12:33 AM

Apr 2021
I agree cgi in the crying part didnt do them justice but the airport scene still is GREAT and had me tearing up a bit, damn hits hard when he realizes he doesnt have any friends and it's just Ono. p unexpecte. I mean at the 3rd ep?!
“I am the Dark Flame Master. Perish, enveloped in the flames of darkness!”
Jan 30, 2022 4:22 AM

Sep 2018
The pacing is not the greatest, which in turn alleviates the emotion felt by the viewer when the sadder scenes appear. I felt it when they had to say goodbye, especially considering that we know her background circumstances, but it could have been so much better if the scene wasn't straight out an anime cliche textbook and had more sufficient build up.

Three episodes in, definitely not what I was expecting from this anime lol, very out of it...

Jun 2, 2022 11:56 AM

Aug 2018
Great episode. It's the one that grabs and makes it impossible to drop the show so it's probably for the best that it happened so early on.

Haruo is a good MC. Far better than what the average romcom gives us. In fact, he's the star of the show. I might just have to add his ugly face to my favorite characters list.
Aug 30, 2022 7:43 PM
Jan 2020
Lol it's been just 3 episodes, the moment an elementary schooler has more hoes than ya'll
Jun 11, 2023 6:44 PM

Dec 2022
Emotional episode
Nov 13, 2023 8:17 PM

Dec 2022
Really? Emigration drama in the third episode? Usually this is reserved for the final or penultimate episode. Interested in seeing how the narrative handles it this early.

Also, once again this episode is hot and cold with the quality. The first half was extremely bizarre, with a weird little clown goblin trying to prod at everyone's alleged "willy bone", whereas the second half had thematically fitting humour and some degree of emotional appeal.

Shaded Horizon

Jan 5, 12:56 PM

Jul 2022
Omg the ending, so emotional and it's just the third ep. Her crying after they tell her to go...

More topics from this board

Poll: » High Score Girl Episode 1 Discussion

Kuroko33 - Sep 4, 2018

34 by asoyboy »»
Nov 22, 2023 6:36 PM

Poll: » High Score Girl Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 28, 2018

148 by Archean-Return »»
Nov 14, 2023 11:08 AM

Poll: » High Score Girl Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 7, 2018

67 by Archean-Return »»
Nov 14, 2023 9:03 AM

Poll: » High Score Girl Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 17, 2018

68 by Archean-Return »»
Nov 13, 2023 10:48 PM

Poll: » High Score Girl Episode 4 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 8, 2018

44 by Archean-Return »»
Nov 13, 2023 8:49 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.