Forum Settings
Forums

Which anime left you feeling depressed/sad/empty?

New
Mar 23, 2018 6:53 PM

May 2016
I've cried ver a few anime but few have left me depressed as Jin-roh. for me the sobbing sadness
wasn't the case here but an actual empty type of sadness.
https://myanimelist.net/anime/570/Jin-Rou?q=jin%20rog

I don't know why.. but it just made me really weirdly uncomfortably sad..

wbu? why? what anime? etc...?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 23, 2018 7:12 PM

Aug 2017
none, im not a pussy who gets depressed just from anime
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 23, 2018 7:22 PM

Aug 2017
Sailor Moon. In the episode 21 when
Mar 23, 2018 7:30 PM

Nov 2014
Ugh, Jin-Rou was so depressing at the end it actually made me kinda mad.

Regarding anime that made me sad-sad and not angry-sad, Wolf Children certainly qualifies. Seeing a parent sacrifice all of her self-interests to raise her kids and make sure they were happy really struck a chord with me. I wanted her to have a life, too. :(
Mar 23, 2018 7:35 PM

Aug 2015
K-On Season 2 ending left me in tears
Mar 23, 2018 7:36 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
I have gone through the depression phase a few times over the years. I, too, usually do cry for a lot of anime, but there have been a selected few which have literally created this empty void in me and I assume this is what you’re talking about.

Without further ado, the shows include:
Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso(Your Lie in April) undoubtedly hit me the hardest. I still remember myself watching the final episode while sitting on my chair and then looking at the rainy sky right after. I couldn’t get myself to do anything for the next couple of days especially or so.
Plastic Memories hit me particularly hard. I was weeping when the final conversation between the couple was playing. It was really a very depressing anime and the next following days for me then. Though, I mostly cried because of my own reasons but I imagine it’d make even the strongest of hearts to melt upon this touching and heartbreaking tale.
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann hit my feels quite hard too. I wasn’t expecting that ending and the final quote of the main character to a passing little boy just tore me up.
Clan and; After Story made me weep like a little kid, but it ended on a much lighter note, so I didn’t really go through much in the aftermath.
White Album 2. It was depressing to witness the love triangle complex from the latter half. Especially with the black-haired musician’s backstory and etc.
Ending of Naruto:Shippuuden. What can I say? My first and one of the most important anime to my kokoro. It wasn’t exactly sad, but it was definitely worth the cries.

I’m sure there are loads more, but I can’t think of any at the moment. I hope this is what you were looking for.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Mar 23, 2018 7:53 PM

Jan 2013
Jin-Roh was actually the first one that came to my mind after seeing the title of the thread, hah. I watched it yesterday and it just destroyed me. Other examples are Sennen Joyuu and Cowboy Bebop.
fuyukiMar 23, 2018 7:59 PM
Mar 23, 2018 8:00 PM

Oct 2017
The ending of Berserk messed me up quite a bit.
Mar 23, 2018 9:10 PM

Oct 2015
Ashita no Joe

𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔫𝔞 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠𝔥 𝔶𝔬𝔲,
𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔱𝔦𝔫' 𝔶𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱𝔥 𝔞𝔩𝔩 𝔪𝔶 𝔪𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱

Mar 23, 2018 10:17 PM

Dec 2015
Evangelion. Shinji's depression kinda rubbed on me. Didn't need to cry but it got me the closest to ever feel real depression.
Mar 23, 2018 10:36 PM
Sep 2017
Berserk(1997)I would say, truly emotional but upsetting
Mar 23, 2018 10:41 PM
Jul 2018
The void left after Clannad yet to be filled
Mar 24, 2018 5:24 AM
Aug 2016
>depressed
I don't know why but I get triggered whenever someone uses that word when referring to anime/cartoons. The fuck are you talking about lmao.

OT: None. These are fucking cartoons. Stop.
Mar 24, 2018 5:31 AM
Jul 2018

I was impressed by Sakamichi no Apollon (Kids on the Slope), the ending was rushed but still I liked the whole story a lot.

No tears or anything, I just felt I really can relate to it in some ways.
Mar 24, 2018 5:40 AM

Jan 2018
Shigatsu last Eps,
Chuunibyo S2 Eps 4,
Noragami S2 Eps 9.

兵家
"Green how I want you green. Green wind. Green branches."
Mar 25, 2018 4:36 AM

Oct 2015
Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans, made me want to drink bleach over it
Mar 25, 2018 4:42 AM

Mar 2016
assyrian said:

Your telling me that you didn't shed manly tears in FMAB when youknowwho died?

OduduwaMar 25, 2018 4:46 AM
Mar 25, 2018 4:44 AM

Jan 2013
Ashita no Joe and Abenobashi endings left me empty.

TheDeadApostle said:
assyrian said:

I for one dont recall shedding tears. was just sad as fuck though
Mar 25, 2018 4:51 AM

Feb 2018
Well not really depressed but surely somewhat sad after I finished some of my favorites (Death Note, Steins Gate) because I was either attached to the characters or the story was really gripping
Mar 25, 2018 4:52 AM

Jul 2013
The endings of Fate/Stay Night (Deen) and Katanagatari made me feel like complete shit, for different reasons.
Also, even if it wasn't really the end of the season, the ending of the Shinobu Time arc in Monogatari Series Second Season made me want to drink a nice dose of bleach for some moments.
Mar 25, 2018 4:58 AM

Jun 2017
Aslt said:
>depressed
I don't know why but I get triggered whenever someone uses that word when referring to anime/cartoons. The fuck are you talking about lmao.

Same here, I absolutely hate how overused has that word gotten over the last few years.
People seem to think that: sad=depressed, even though they don't know anything about actual depression which is a serious mental disorder.

Higurashi Gou is the worst anime in existence.
Mar 25, 2018 4:58 AM

Nov 2016
For me there's a difference between "just" crying and feeling really empty afterwards.

But all my current favorites did a splendid job at doing both.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 25, 2018 5:09 AM
Jan 2014
There was one anime that definitely fits that description. I won't tell you its name to save spoiling it, but pretty much, 90% of the characters died. It did leave me feeling quite empty at the end of it, because I didn't have an emotions left to feel. They were all gone after watching most of the characters I had grown an attachment to brutally murdered.
Mar 25, 2018 5:21 AM

Oct 2015
Tomm01p said:
Aslt said:
>depressed

Same here, I absolutely hate how overused has that word gotten over the last few years.
People seem to think that: sad=depressed, even though they don't know anything about actual depression which is a serious mental disorder.

The word depressed can be used besides clinical depression. That's why people specify by saying clinical depression when talking about the mental disorder. Make sure that you're correct before accusing people of misusing a word.

OT: I cried at a lot of shows but the ones that made me feel empty after finishing them are a lot less. A couple of my favorites managed to do that.
Mar 25, 2018 5:43 AM

Aug 2017
Hmm Shiki's ending was not exaclty depressing to me it was actually quite satisfying but it sure as hell wasn't a "happy" ending though I did felt kind of empty after finishing it because so many of my

Another one would be Death Parade.
Mar 25, 2018 5:47 AM

Jun 2017
Orhunaa said:
Tomm01p said:

The word depressed can be used besides clinical depression. That's why people specify by saying clinical depression when talking about the mental disorder. Make sure that you're correct before accusing people of misusing a word.

OT: I cried at a lot of shows but the ones that made me feel empty after finishing them are a lot less. A couple of my favorites managed to do that.

I admit I reacted in a more aggressive way than I should've and really didn't have the right choice of words.
I take depression besides being a disorder too, as a sort of mood. Still, it goes way beyond just being sad for a day because your favourite character has died or whatever. It has to be something a bit more long term and serious in order to be called a depression, atleast the way I see it.

Oh and I still stand behind my claim that the word has been massively overused by people, especially on social media, in order to get some attention and make people feel bad for them.

Higurashi Gou is the worst anime in existence.
Mar 25, 2018 6:15 AM

Oct 2015
Tomm01p said:
Orhunaa said:

Oh and I still stand behind my claim that the word has been massively overused by people, especially on social media, in order to get some attention and make people feel bad for them.

I agree with that. My point is that the OP's usage of the word is absolutely fine here. The amount of sadness people experience to certain things vary so I don't think it's fair to say "X isn't serious enough to be depressed over".
Mar 25, 2018 6:50 AM

Aug 2017
TheDeadApostle said:
assyrian said:

I had only seen the 2003 fullmetal alchemist 8)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 25, 2018 6:54 AM

Feb 2016
Aslt said:
>depressed

Oh dear, you're embarrassing yourself with the ironic anime fan thing
Mar 25, 2018 8:04 PM

May 2016
aikaflip said:
Ugh, Jin-Rou was so depressing at the end it actually made me kinda mad.

Regarding anime that made me sad-sad and not angry-sad, Wolf Children certainly qualifies. Seeing a parent sacrifice all of her self-interests to raise her kids and make sure they were happy really struck a chord with me. I wanted her to have a life, too. :(

ahhh i totally get that.. i cried sooooo much
Mar 25, 2018 8:09 PM

May 2016
fuyuki said:
Jin-Roh was actually the first one that came to my mind after seeing the title of the thread, hah. I watched it yesterday and it just destroyed me. Other examples are Sennen Joyuu and Cowboy Bebop.

Omg... Sennen Joyuu was so so so depressing.. It left me in sobbing depressed tears.. My sadness after that movie was actually a little overwhelming. - very depressing but such an amazing movie
Mar 25, 2018 8:11 PM

Oct 2015
Tomm01p said:

I take depression besides being a disorder too, as a sort of mood. Still, it goes way beyond just being sad for a day because your favourite character has died or whatever. It has to be something a bit more long term and serious in order to be called a depression, atleast the way I see it.
So, can I say that to Ashita no Joe, the only ever thing to make me feel empty in any fiction there is, quite possibly even in real life, frowned for a week, even the time we went to watch some Cinema with my family, my sister told me I looked depressed, her words, not mine.

Trust me when I say I have never felt sad from any work of any authors before due to my stoic and self-centered nature. I almost have never cared for anyone, except me and my family. And maybe my waifus, but only that.
-Lofn-Mar 25, 2018 8:14 PM

𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔫𝔞 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠𝔥 𝔶𝔬𝔲,
𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔱𝔦𝔫' 𝔶𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱𝔥 𝔞𝔩𝔩 𝔪𝔶 𝔪𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱

Mar 25, 2018 8:11 PM

May 2016
Aslt said:
>depressed

welllll... i did give some synonyms in the title of this thread... in case some snowflakes are easily offended / triggered by someone's nonoffensive vocabulary.

not going to get involved with that other opinion of yours though
kimkotsu_Mar 25, 2018 8:18 PM
Mar 25, 2018 8:23 PM

Oct 2017
Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch II

FMAB

Angel Beats

Akame ga kill

Koe no Katachi

Mirai Nikki

and few more...
Mar 25, 2018 8:24 PM
Jan 2018
azumanga anime bit sad in a way when it ended did wish to see them in college.
Mar 25, 2018 8:28 PM
Apr 2017
devilman crybaby's ending left me a bit hollow inside
Mar 25, 2018 8:34 PM
Apr 2014
Well... I cried at every anime I was watched :/
Mar 25, 2018 9:37 PM

Dec 2015
Last one that did that to me was Grave of the Fireflies.
Mar 25, 2018 9:38 PM

Oct 2014
Akame ga kill, it left me dead inside

How rare and beautiful it is to even exist.

Mar 25, 2018 9:59 PM

May 2016
ZSTGL_IMA said:
Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch II
Mirai Nikki

and few more...
''

wow i watched mirai nikki a really long time ago and I barely remeberd it but Akise's death made me suupppper sad.. thanks for bringing back those memories :'(
Mar 25, 2018 10:02 PM

May 2016
holysauron said:
Last one that did that to me was Grave of the Fireflies.

the sadness from that movie is still within me.. every time i hear about the movie the, all the memories just come flooding back to me
Mar 25, 2018 10:03 PM
Apr 2014
I don't need anime to do that for me because that's my default mood.

But seriously Evangelion and Tex
Mar 25, 2018 10:28 PM

May 2009
Yosuga no Sora left me confused wondering how I should feel about the last arc. The last two arcs, actually.

But confused in a good way. The storytelling was on point and very effective.

It's just that it was a very strong feeling of "I'm not sure how I should feel about what just happened". If you've seen the show, you'll know exactly what I mean.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Mar 25, 2018 11:33 PM

May 2013
Millenium Acteess's end made me REALLY sad, that movie is so amazing and the last minutes broke me down. I don't think I cried that hard after watching any movie...
Est-ce que ton frigo marche ?
Mar 25, 2018 11:35 PM

Nov 2017
Your Lie in April

Manchester by the Sea destroyed me, I didn't watch another movie for a whole week.

Kimagure Orange Road, because there will never be more like it.

End of Evangelion.

Gunbuster
Mar 26, 2018 1:00 AM

Jun 2013
holysauron said:
Evangelion. Shinji's depression kinda rubbed on me. Didn't need to cry but it got me the closest to ever feel real depression.

The creator Hideaki Anno does suffer from depression too it really is a amazing deconstruction of somebody who has depression
Ideals, philosophy, art, culture. They live and die for the meme. - Kamukura Izuru

Mar 26, 2018 1:17 AM

Apr 2017
Besides my favourite anime, I think that hunter x hunter is the closest answer because it was one of my first anime and the last episodes were just SAD, a weird feeling of emptiness battered me after finishing it.

"elles sont bien noires
les pensées des nuits blanches"

Mar 26, 2018 2:14 AM

Aug 2015
quite a few actually but if i have to choose only 2 or 3 than they definitely would be

Anohana (cried like a bitch)

Angel beats (it especially made me sad during the mid parts and the ending)

Colorful(movie) (the whole movie was quite sad)
Mar 26, 2018 2:15 AM

Apr 2015
all of them for the amount of pathetic time i wasted
Mar 26, 2018 2:42 AM

Dec 2015
aiaisu said:
holysauron said:

The creator Hideaki Anno does suffer from depression too it really is a amazing deconstruction of somebody who has depression

I know. Shinji is basically his avatar so I knew all along that it was Anno himself whose depression rubbed on me.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Anime worlds you would rather live in

ST63LTH - 3 hours ago

17 by Zarutaku »»
9 seconds ago

» Why do people like consuming media watching specifically opposite sex get together? ( 1 2 3 4 )

Oshieteoshiete4 - Apr 29

197 by Kenzolo-folk »»
28 seconds ago

» What exactly makes someone an elitist?

AV-25-MU - 4 hours ago

20 by AV-25-MU »»
4 minutes ago

» What's the most important feature in an anime for you?

new_Ango - 23 minutes ago

7 by tchitchouan »»
7 minutes ago

» What does it mean when you rate an anime 6? ( 1 2 )

Akuya - Yesterday

88 by NoelleIsSleepy »»
18 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.