Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »
Feb 6, 2018 3:45 PM

Dec 2017
Violet was acting more "dumb" than usual this episode. Like, I get that she's supposed to be clueless about emotions and such but they were really hammering it to my head today. She is a very boring character. Like when they get off the train station and she presents herself to Iris' family and her introduction is sooo overly dramatic, like... Why? I still don't know if she's a robot, if she was raised by psychopaths or if she has some emotional disorder. Also, explaining several times that she wants to be a doll because the major said I love you, yadda... I think we get it by now.
So is this series gonna be in a flavour of the week format? Every episode we follow a new character and Violet solves their problem? Not sure how good that's gonna be.
On a good note, the environment design for Iris' Village was insanely beautiful.
This isn't the worst series out there, I'm not even disappointed because ever since Kyoukai no Kanata I have no expectations from Kyoto Animation. They can serve beautiful environments and animation and an interesting potential for the story, which is then ruined by pointless side characters... For example...This series.
I'll keep watching it because I did enjoy episode 3 with Luculia and I actually want to know more about Violet and Major.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 6, 2018 4:12 PM

Oct 2015
Argh shame for Iris to be rejected like that by Emonn (" I only see you as an old friend"). I would crawl up and die too, but at least Violet has begun to learn human feelings thanks to this.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Feb 6, 2018 9:31 PM

Jan 2011
Man the dub does a really good job of really showing the emotions. Iris's voice actor really owned this episode.

I really like how Violet is learning while the person she is with is learning. It is very interesting. Not as good as episode 3.
I haven't updated in years but now I have changed that. I'll be free soon.
Feb 7, 2018 1:45 AM

Oct 2008
hmmmmm looks like its betting better... a bit...
although it has so much drama...but drama in a way that is not overbearing!
Violet going with Iris is totally a big help for her in understanding human emotions especially the true meaning of "Aishiteru", the last words that Major Gilbert left to her.
OST is really one of its class!
5/5.

Feb 7, 2018 6:03 AM

Jul 2017
I think maybe they want to make this a sort of prequel to the actual source material and then adapt that on a second season or a movie. Maybe...If not, this pacing doesn't make much sense to me.
Feb 7, 2018 3:39 PM

May 2015
HA Iris got friendzoned. :D

The real questin is: WHY IS HER PARENTS SLEEPS IN SEPARATE BEDS? <enter dramatic music>
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Feb 7, 2018 5:57 PM
Feb 2018
Not a bad episode, more or less for character building but still a nice and of course amazing looking episode.
Feb 8, 2018 4:49 AM

Apr 2015
I guess some will find Violet's dialogue lovable but I'm really finding it jarring and frustrating, I know that's the point but it's really impairing my enjoyment of the show. I thought I was starting to like her in EP1 but she's progressively grating

But then I'm not exactly liking the other characters neither, so I'm getting confused about why I'm watching VE, really, as I'm not that crazy about the visuals too. At this point I'm just trying to finish this cos I like Kyoto. I really really want to love this but not feeling it so far
Feb 8, 2018 11:09 AM
Nov 2016
Iris gets closer to Violet and we learn the origin of her name.
Feb 9, 2018 7:29 AM

May 2016
Violet was savage this episode lol, anyway it was fine episode loved the sceneries and how she was named, it hurt me that she didn't have a name ;-;
Feb 10, 2018 7:24 PM
Nov 2015
This show sure has a weird sense of humor
Feb 10, 2018 11:35 PM

May 2013
Nothing groundbreaking, but this was probably the first episode of this series to actually work for me. I think Violet Evergarden is better when it takes itself less seriously, because when it does take itself seriously it's too self-conscious of its own pretensions to actually take seriously.

I'll be looking forward to future episodes, at the very least.
My anime blog
Latest Post: The Zero Requiem (Analysis of the Ending of Code Geass)
Feb 11, 2018 3:50 AM

Mar 2017
Lanz said:
I guess some will find Violet's dialogue lovable but I'm really finding it jarring and frustrating, I know that's the point but it's really impairing my enjoyment of the show. I thought I was starting to like her in EP1 but she's progressively grating

But then I'm not exactly liking the other characters neither, so I'm getting confused about why I'm watching VE, really, as I'm not that crazy about the visuals too. At this point I'm just trying to finish this cos I like Kyoto. I really really want to love this but not feeling it so far

That is also the point. Most people wouldn't enjoy if they meet a person like Violet anyway
Feb 11, 2018 8:21 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
this was a story for Iris!!!
The town seemed very rural but animated!!!
Feb 11, 2018 11:55 AM
Oct 2007
WAAAAA!!! The first half makes me feel like this might be the weakest episode so far, but the second half totally turn it around for me personally. Visuals are still very much consistent at the highest level.

SalmonSandwich said:
Yep wasn't sure until this episode, really not liking this adaptation now... (Will continue watching since I basically signed a blood oath w/ myself to finish this series.)

From a writing perspective at this point what did Violet learn that is different from the last few episodes? Maybe I screwed myself by reading the original source material, but geez the pacing of Violets development from recovering from her initial PTSD phase is abysmally slow at this point. Also the fact that this episode focused on Iris purely pushed me over the edge.

Iris a side character with very little interest and character motivation. A side character that instigated conflict in ep 2 for no good reason just soured my outlook on this series with her boring backstory, her generic family struggles, and cliche love story. It added nothing about the damn main character or the overall plot progression. Violet learns again that she doesn't understand love and human interactions. Still hammering home a theme/message that wasn't conveyed previously right?! Jesus what did we learn...

I'm terribly sorry if this offends anyone... I know i'm just acting like the spoiled manga/novel reader fan, but jesus this episode was flat out boring.

I can't imagine how much more I would like the source materials when I'm already liking the fillers so much up till now.

I didn't read all the comments in this thread so there might be someone else who has said this but at this point, it does feels like the studio might stretch it out to make season 2 or even make that last few continuous episodics (I believed you mentioned that in the last episode) into a movie to sell.

Netflix should be giving them tons of money so it doesn't make sense not to milk Netflix as much as possible. Lol. I am okay with them milking Netflix as long as they keep it very high quality throughout.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 12, 2018 4:53 AM

Dec 2015
i remembered about tegami bachi suddenly when they talk about letters
Feb 12, 2018 4:06 PM

Oct 2012
Kinda good episode, probably the first one worthy of KyoAni... finally we saw some meaningful character developement of Violet, coupled with really nice rural atmosphere.

Still, it would be great if they explained a little bit why did he reject her and whether his feelings changed over the time. And likewise, there was no need to actually say her name in the flashback with major, that scene would be a lot better if he didn't complete the sentence saying the obvious - they really shouldn't spoonfeed and underestimate their viewers, one last shot to the flower would have told it all even without words.
Feb 13, 2018 2:59 AM

Feb 2016
Arachnophobic said:
The side characters continue to be underwhelming. If it wasn't for the visuals, I would have dropped it this episode.

And while it is the best looking show this season, Sora Yori is not too far off - and in terms of story, direction, characters, music.. Sora Yori makes this look like a joke.

I'm so damn glad that I glanced upon your comment by chance. Currently at episode 3, and I absolutely love it. Yes, the description to call violet evergarden a joke by comparison is harsh but true.

So far, it seems like a good blend between Aria and Space Brothers with a dash of Nichijou.

Me, liking CGDCT and Moe? wtf is this?

Nothing can happen until you swing the bat.
Feb 17, 2018 5:24 AM

Sep 2015
I thought this was a fantastic episode. And found the series truly hitting its stride. Iris coming to understand that Violet has her own trials and tribulations to overcome. Was a moving and well paced arc. Maybe we could have spent more time with Iris ahead of time. But this masterfully brought her to the forefront and progressed her relationship with our emotionless heroine. Reminding me of some of the best high concept slice of lifes in the past. Such as Haibane Renmei.

But bruh I could not stop laughing ironically at the end of the episode. Because they not only revealed Iris was named for the flowers blooming at her birth. But Violet was named for a random floor the Major saw. When he happened to ask and discovered she didn't already have one. All I could think about was the old now oft memeified "Cinder-block" joke. And it really undercut the impact of the finale. Through no fault of anyone's.
Feb 17, 2018 8:16 PM

Mar 2009
Thank you for the Iris boob jiggle, KyoAni. Iris is a qt.
Feb 18, 2018 2:46 AM

Jul 2014
Oh no. They're doing the thing aren't they? The thing where they rotate through these dull side characters episode by episode and try to drag emotions out of me for people I don't care about? Please no. Anything but this. Violet is insufferable and this story is going nowhere.
Feb 21, 2018 2:04 PM

Feb 2018
Hopefully, soon we will get a decent explanation to why Violet is socially retarded, she is starting to be an eyesore with her sociopath comments and deeds. I guess they are trying to present her mind "innocent" as a child's, but so far it is annoying, and doesn't make much sense why she would be able to write a decent letter capable of moving people, if she cannot understand basic human emotions in other people.
Feb 22, 2018 9:33 PM

Sep 2008
I look forward to new episodes of abysmally low-rated anime like Death March and Citrus more than this anime.
Feb 28, 2018 2:53 PM

Aug 2012
Boy is this anime boring. Its been 4 episodes and every episode feels almost the same to me. I feel like nothing is happening and we're basically just as developed as we were episode 1... They're spending so much time on stuff that does not matter.

Also, this show is a lot of wasted potential. I'm really interested in her interactions with Gilbert and the war, their relationship (not asking for a romance really). Or what Violet is. But that might just be a problem with the source material as well, as I have not read it.

But the only parts of this anime I'm really enjoying are her flashbacks and learning about her past.... *sigh*
Mar 1, 2018 6:05 PM

Jun 2014
Looks like Violet is continuing to learn about emotions, and Iris has learned a bit about Violet.

Also, am I the only one obsessed with the constructed script used in this Anime? I was reading a reddit page earlier, and someone has deciphered some of it. Someone even has a working font of it out. Cool stuff.

Mar 2, 2018 12:38 AM

Dec 2012
I love how innocent Violet is lmao!

Mar 12, 2018 5:56 AM

Jul 2013
I don't know if I'll be able to like this anime. Aside from being really boring I just can't stand the huge bullshit of Bioleto not understanding people's emotions like on the first episode I thought she's a robot or an alien or something cause they keep saying she's a "tool" and the atmosphere of this show gives off a fantasy vibe and I thought that's a good reason but then they revealed that she's an orphan that was gifted to her late pedo major and I was like wtf even sociopaths and psychopaths act better than her.
Mar 16, 2018 11:03 PM

Jan 2013
Some pretty good development. Not too interested in Iris though.
Mar 17, 2018 6:10 AM

Jan 2015
So many negative comments.
As I haven't read the LN I do like this. Of course, I had high expectations and sometimes it's boring, It's a beautiful anime. As for the episode, Violet finally writes good letters, and the relationship with Iris is well developed.
Mar 21, 2018 12:36 AM

Jul 2012
This slow-paced, character-building kind of show is really enjoyable for me, and I feel like this caught a lot of people off-guard, which is a shame.

I really love watching Violet grow and build relationships with other people. This has been such a beautiful show so far, both visually and emotionally.
Mar 23, 2018 12:13 AM
Mar 2012
Tho ep3 was best so far, ep2 & 4 detail Erica & Iris personalities & their motivation to take on the ghostwriting job. Along with Violet's repeated reason, it's more describing the work sol & importance since it doesnt exist much irl. Like Erica, Violet helped Iris rediscover why she 'escaped' the boonies to work in the city.
Iris started unlikable, but she got rejected by this bishounen ("osananajimis alway lose rule"), and it seems to prove her self worth she went to the big city, worked a job she wasn't good at, & dress in an independent fashion.
Like mom like daughter they both liars, and that shit mom as dense as Violet. Tho Violet showed real improvements: she understood Iris' real meaning behind "I get it", and her first letter post graduation is long & shows gratitude normally.
Dunno if reading novel makes people blind & retarded, but anyways glad I didn't read any source I so can at least try to enjoy it.
Mar 27, 2018 10:24 AM

May 2010
Meh, pretty standard episode about side character's love being rejected, nothing interesting.
Mar 27, 2018 6:18 PM

Nov 2007
Kitsu-nee said:
Meh, pretty standard episode about side character's love being rejected, nothing interesting.

Well, this episode is the lowest point of the anime. Prepare yourself for amazing episodes ahead.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Apr 6, 2018 6:33 PM

Mar 2018
I just rewatched this episode, and I noticed - Iris spends a lot of time looking at her feet. I'm not sure I understand the significance of this, but at least twice we see her frowning and feeling her toes, and twice we see her frown when she steps in a puddle at the train station. I feel there is some significance to this, but I'm just not sure exactly what it is. I know Iris tripped twice in her heels - so she is probably not used to heels - do the people of her village commonly go around barefoot? And so maybe she is grimacing because she got her heels dirty... the first time, for sure... but maybe the second time... she is sad because she could not feel the water on her bare feet? Hmmm. They do have rice paddies in their village... hmmm

Also I just noticed she has a lapel pin from the training course Violet took. I missed that completely on my first watch...
♫ やっと見つけた織姫様 だけどどこだろう彦星様
これじゃひとりぼっち ♫

"Just like my arms... can never be soft and warm, like yours are"
Apr 6, 2018 11:29 PM

Nov 2017
Strong episode for character development. Iris is a pretty interesting character, and Violet learning more about what feelings are is nice
Apr 7, 2018 8:51 AM

Apr 2011
An Iris episode. Its nice to learn more about her so I kinda understand her attitude. I think se's not very honest. Violet slowly learning about a pesons feelings is nice, even though the pacing is slow for a once cour series. Interesting to know Iris and Violet's names came from pretty flowers and both of them are pretty as well.

I have to say, if there's one person who fits as a auto-memories doll the most, its Violet.
Apr 8, 2018 12:09 AM

Jun 2013
So bonding episode with Iris. and well, looks like Iris has her own problems...well at least they are more of human problems....

as always Violet awkwardness is same time humorous and same time making me flinch..
Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival.~Winston Churchill

"Fate of the universe will be Decided as it SHOULD be, in MORTAL KOMBAT!" ~Elder Gods

"Justice WILL Prevail?" "But OF COURSE IT WILL!! WHOEVER WINS, BECOMES THE JUSTICE!!!" ~Donquixote Doflamingo (King, Pirate, Shichibukai, Philosopher(?) (One Piece))
Apr 8, 2018 9:21 AM

May 2012
Fantastic episode with a nice character focus shift! Really love to see these thing happen and personally would always like to know what happens after... but well most of the time we won't get to know that sadly! Even though said that, this episode was fantastic! Looking forwards to see what's next.
Apr 12, 2018 1:34 AM
Dec 2017
in the ep lot of thing show up ... i wonder Violet really find her major or painful ending.. that we expected !!
Apr 12, 2018 11:06 AM

May 2013
I enjoy the flashbacks of Violet with Gilbert :') they're sweet.

Nice to know that Iris and Violet were named the same way. Iris needs to control her temper outbreaks and be more honest with her feelings-- to herself and others around her.

Anywhoooo~ maybe Iris' love interest changed his mind??? Because he wouldn't show up to her bday party knowing it's actually a marriage partner scout if he had someone else he loved ;3 or maybe it was kept lowkey and he didn't know. Just showed up as an old friend, lulz.

Iris isn't that pretty, but she's still pretty nonetheless. Someone out there will love her. Maybe he's in Leiden :P One's first love is rarely one's final love. She'll get over him eventually. It still affects her now, judging from her reactions upon seeing the guy, but one day, she'll be fully okay about it.
Apr 14, 2018 2:25 PM
Oct 2017
This episode was ok as it did nt focus much on violet but still some emotional scenes between violet and iris was interesting and funny.
violet is really cute XD.
loving the anime...
Apr 16, 2018 11:05 PM

Feb 2010
Aw man violet can get a little frustrating to watch XD poor iris haha. But I can't blame her. She just doesn't understand emotions which just makes me feel bad for her. I am enjoying it so far but I do agree that not really much is happening and since i have heard nothing but amazing things about this..I'm really waiting for that amazingness to start.
FOLLOW MY SOCIAL MEDIA IF YOU LIKE COSPLAY ADN ANIME RELATED VIDEOS!
https://www.youtube.com/user/LadyMeilin
https://www.facebook.com/Ladymeilin
Apr 21, 2018 2:55 PM

Apr 2014
-Violet learns a bit more about love and how much it weighs in people's hearts.

-I really would like to know more about Violet's backstory and just exactly how she was treated in the military. How long was she with Gilbert? How long was she a weapon and how much was she isolated from other before meeting Gilbert? How much older is Gilbert compared to her exactly?

-So far, Violet appear to be more of just being the typist for the sender who lacked the courage to directly convey their feelings face to face to the recipient, rather than her actually identifying any underlying feelings and transforming it into a heartfelt message herself. However, the side characters really did need a psychological middleman and they do serve as steps forward for her personal development due to experience and exposure, which will ultimately translate to her abilities as a Doll.
ZeroDragonApr 21, 2018 3:03 PM
Apr 28, 2018 9:19 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Feels a little fillerish. The place Iris is from culture and aesthetic is so beautiful. It's really was a spectacle.

I somewhat like the different views of Violet from other people but it feels so handfisted at the beginning and end of the episode. I think it might be because the perspective isn't focused on the other person really and just book ended to make a point. :/

At least Iris is figuring her out and will make her chill a tad. Also the end story of how they're both named after flowers really was a nice connection. Very sweet.
Apr 30, 2018 12:15 PM

Jun 2010
I really wished to see more about how Violet is studying to write and learn about human emotions. This was way too rushed.
May 2, 2018 3:08 PM

Jul 2009
So Iris and Violet had the names based on flowers! Also, they got closer and Violet was able to write another good letter.
May 10, 2018 10:07 PM

Jul 2012
Still a good episode, especially the naming at the end.
May 12, 2018 7:36 AM
Jul 2015
I tried the dub for this episode, and I think I prefer it. I liked this episode more than the first 3. It was mostly focused on other characters, and Violent seems to be making progress.
Aug 17, 2018 3:16 AM
Jun 2013
glad to see we got some hint of who was fighting and what for in the war. the iris stuff was ok.
Sep 20, 2018 1:15 AM
Apr 2008
Every frame of animation is gorgeous. Incredible art and animation.

This episode really hammered home into my head that this is probably KyoAni's offering of ARIA/Mushishi/and similar: episodic slice-of-life series telling Aesops, life lessons, and examining the deep subtleties and intricacies of the human mind. However, so far at least, the stories have not been as engaging or as profound as the aforementioned series, which is disappointing.

At the moment, I think people are viewing this anime through the wrong perspective. Think more episodic slice-of-life, what's the next moral gonna be?
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 14, 2018

619 by NubFix »»
Yesterday, 8:08 AM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 21, 2018

319 by NubFix »»
Yesterday, 6:11 AM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 28, 2018

244 by _Anime-Lover-44_ »»
Apr 15, 1:02 AM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 17, 2018

422 by TabbyPog »»
Apr 5, 2:36 PM

» Do you love Violet Evergarden? ( 1 2 )

Stacias - Jul 19, 2022

90 by Zarutaku »»
Apr 5, 4:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.