Forum Settings
Forums

Is anime broadcasted by regular television networks in your country?

New
Jul 26, 2017 7:18 PM

Dec 2016
By regular TV, I mean...not Netflix or other streaming platform.

In my country no "free television" network (I really don't know the exact translation, by with this I mean non-paid television) airs any kind of anime show. They aired many kids-oriented shows during the 90's anime boom and the early 00's, but nowadays anime in these networks is nowhere to be found, not even kids-oriented.

In cable-television, we have a local network specialized in anime (and other asian content) but since the supply of recent anime with a spanish-dub became each year fewer and fewer, it has no other option than relying on old and classic shows.

And CN Latam nowadays only airs Pokemon, DBZ, DBZ movies and soon will start airing DBS. Toonami block is non-existent.

It's honestly kind of disappointing that anime in my country (concretely modern ones) got reduced to something that can only be found in the internet or Netflix.

What's the situation in yours?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 26, 2017 7:29 PM

Jan 2014
I live in LATAM, there's no anime channels since 2008.

Just youkai watch and Pokemon, also the shitty beyblade, I think.
Cuteness > Everything else
Cuteness is Love, Cuteness is Life
Jul 26, 2017 7:32 PM

Oct 2015
In America its toonami on Saturday nights. Its actually gotten fairly popular once again so i hope it stays that way

"I wish I was sober to feel the pain
So many dark days I can’t explain"

----------
My Sigs
MAL Interview
Jul 26, 2017 7:34 PM

Jan 2009
we even have a dedicated TV channel for anime https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hero_(TV_channel)
Jul 26, 2017 7:43 PM

Dec 2012
Yes, but the things that air on the Cartoon Network's Toonami block airing on Disney XD is only a small fraction of the shows that actually get licensed here. The vast majority of it is streaming or DVD/BD only.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Jul 26, 2017 7:44 PM

Feb 2017
Only old ones. One is broadcasting DBZ, and they are in the Cell Saga now.
Jul 26, 2017 7:46 PM

Jun 2016
There's a channel that broadcasts Naruto and Pokemon where I live, and Cartoon Network broadcasts Yokai Watch
Jul 26, 2017 7:51 PM

Jan 2009
watching anime on your local TV is the cheapest way to support the anime industry financially they say, better local TV ratings of anime means more commercial/TV ads for your local TV and they will want to buy more anime TV licenses/rights from the anime industry

Jul 26, 2017 7:55 PM

Nov 2013
Yes. There are 3, which show anime regularly (older and semi-actual stuff) and some do show anime on occasion.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Jul 26, 2017 7:56 PM

Feb 2013
Back in the place i live originally there is a channel called ETC TV which broadcasts anime and korean dramas, stuff like gintama, magic kaito, zero no tsukaima, sailor moon, prince of tennis, naruto, one piece or coffee prince and boys over flowers-- it's pretty nice, i was (still am) quite fond of it and it's up until now one of my favorites.

Now here in south korea (where i currently live) i've seen osomatsu-kun, magi and captain tsubasa in cartoon network. Also in tooniverse they broadcast a lot of anime, mostly recent stuff like gatchaman crowds or meganebu.
busanJul 26, 2017 8:01 PM

Jul 26, 2017 8:01 PM

Jun 2017
In the US, Funimation has its own channel for anime. There's also Toonami on adult swim, but that only appears late at night.

Edit: Looks like the Funimation Channel was shut down, but in its place is a new anime channel called Toku that still airs. Unfortunately, it looks like they only air obscure and trashy anime after they cut ties with Funimation.
Snot-nosed_BratJul 26, 2017 8:19 PM
Jul 26, 2017 8:04 PM

Jul 2016
No, unfortunately we don't get anything like this.

I mean, kids' anime have aired before in Greece, and I guess some of them are airing right now. We've had some studio Ghibli stuff dubbed as well, but I guess that's about it.

That's sad now that I think about it...
Jul 26, 2017 8:06 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Yes, they currently broadcast Naruto Shippudden, Doraemon, Crayon Shinchan, and Dragon Ball every week.

There were so much anime broadcasted in the 90s-2000s though, much more than this current time, which made me into anime fan like I am now.

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Jul 26, 2017 8:14 PM

Apr 2015
In America...in very limited capacities.

Nicktoons has Yu-Gi-Oh.

Disney XD has Doraemon, Pokemon, and Yokai Watch.

Toonami has Dragon Ball Super, Dragon Ball Z Kai, Attack on Titan, Jojo's, Hunter x Hunter, Tokyo Ghoul, Lupin III Part IV, Naruto Shippuden, and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex all in a late-night chunk once a week.

Starz shows Ghibli movies and Ghost in the Shell sometimes.

I recorded Kanashimi no Belladonna (a 70s borderline hentai part of Osamu Tezuka's film trilogy) off Turner Classic Movies a couple months ago.
CatSoulJul 26, 2017 8:17 PM
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Jul 26, 2017 8:54 PM

Jun 2015
Yes. We also have two dedicate channels for anime.
Jul 26, 2017 8:57 PM

May 2017
They used to have Funimation channels aired on demand back in NY. Now, they don't really show them that much. I do wish regular anime shows are shown on television, rather than relying on Crunchyroll.
Jul 26, 2017 9:08 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Toonami but I'm too damn old to stay up past 10. Wish it'd be on at an earlier time slot like it used to be when I was younger.
Jul 26, 2017 9:42 PM

Apr 2017
How old are you OP? I remember we had some decent anime in CN in the early 2000. Even if it was mostly kids stuff, there was a degree of diversity too.

Your avatar made me remember that I had a small figurine of Gatomon, wonder what happened to it... Fuck, I'm probably rewatching Digimon at some point, good times man.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 26, 2017 9:44 PM
Jul 2015
Yes, i watch naruto everyday, germany is my city :)
Jul 26, 2017 9:45 PM

Nov 2009
Yes, I first got into anime when I watched it on TV. At that time period, it was not unusual to find some anime on TV, even though most of them did not appeal to me much.
No idea how often it's shown on TV nowadays, I think I stopped watching TV since I got broadband internet.
Jul 26, 2017 9:51 PM

Aug 2011
Kids ones use to be aired in the mornings (Pokemon, Card Captor Sakura, Sailor Moon, etc.) not sure if they do too much any more, I "work work work" so can't check.
ABC and SBS would sometimes put on more of the well known movies like Spirited Away and the Ghost in the Shell movies, I think SBS even broadcasted GITS Stand Alone Complex when it first came out, that was awesome, also I think they did cowboy bee bop. These have been few and far between, also now that I am much older, I haven't really been checking, as I can now stream and buy etc. no need to wait for a free to air broadcast.
Australia !
^_^
Jul 26, 2017 9:56 PM

Aug 2011
Yes and with a local dub, but most of the times they got discontinued tho because of some reasons. Oh, I can see them on cable-tv too even tho it's mostly just a random episodes

**☾**
Jul 26, 2017 9:58 PM

Feb 2015
Just Toonami in the U.S.A as far as I know...
Jul 27, 2017 12:40 AM

Jan 2011
Yeah. Pissed me off as a kid when Fox Kids disappeared since that left Digimon on a free to air channel at a time when I was in school or had to leave for school. Seriously who is the dickhead that decides to only show it during school hours?
Jul 27, 2017 1:07 AM
Jul 2017
Yes but they only broadcast really old episodes of popular shows like Naruto, DBZ, Bleach, One Piece, and the like. And... -sigh- they add in a really crap dub in our native language.
Jul 27, 2017 1:09 AM

Jan 2013
No. I wish I could just turn on the tv and watch some anime but nope, there's only Youkai Watch and DB.
Jul 27, 2017 1:19 AM

Aug 2016
Just Yo-Kai Watch on Cartoon Network. Absolutely nothing else.
Jul 27, 2017 1:19 AM

Aug 2016
I dunno if you consider cable TV to be free TV but we have Animax and Hero(Filipino Dubs) here. We also have some dubs of Naruto/other old shounen at our basic channels.

"... Because when you live in this world of my closed eyes...
... Being alone is very lonely..."

Jul 27, 2017 1:24 AM

Jan 2016
Our free TV channels akways air anime in the mornings and a channel even airs it in the afternoon and evening.
Jul 27, 2017 1:31 AM

Mar 2017
In addition to the Hero Channel mentioned above, there's also Animax Philippines.

And the two major channels aired anime. Or at least they used to. ABS-CBN used to time the airing of Naruto in between morning recess or after afternoon classes. We used to huddle around the TV in the canteen to watch it. Fun times. Smart move on their part too. You can't enter a room in the country without at least one person who saw and probably enjoys Naruto. I think GMA 7 still airs anime and they used to air a whole lot of them. Yu Yu Hakusho, Saiyuki Reload, Flame of Recca, and Zoids were staple of the afternoon. I think Dragonball also used to air the same time as Naruto. Didn't fare well for them. Battle B-Daman, Medarot, and Fullmetal Panic used dominate the weekends for us young uns. All in glorious Tagalog dub.
You gave up your freedom of speech when you clicked Agree to the User Agreement
This is not a public platform.
Jul 27, 2017 1:32 AM
Aug 2016
In Canada, the only way to watch broadcasted anime is to have a subscription to TV Japan. Otherwise, nope.
Jul 27, 2017 2:16 AM

Feb 2013
our local anime block died a few years ago (2014 i think)
after a year or so of only naruto and bleach reruns

now we only have pokemon and who knows what other toy selling show on regular cartoon channel
Jul 27, 2017 2:43 AM
Jan 2016
I know it used to be aired on a night-time block on a channel called Hyper many years ago, but I have no idea if anything like that still exists in my country.

It had quite an impressive collection of anime, check it out:
https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyper%2B#Hyper.2B
Jul 27, 2017 2:52 AM

Apr 2013
haven't watched tv since i moved out, there's no way a college kid can afford cable lmao.
but i think canada axed its anime program years ago. when i was a kid, ytv's bionix used to air inuyasha/naruto/bleach/one piece/ .//hack/ gundam seed/fma/zatch bell/eureka seven and probably more that i missed. then one by one the shows disappeared till it was just trashed up nickelodeon shows.

Jul 27, 2017 2:56 AM

Jul 2015
In the past, yes. Currently, I'm not sure
Jul 27, 2017 8:02 AM

Oct 2015
Am in Germany - and yes, and always in German dub.
Here is an example program schedule. I made that snapshot for some other occasion, notice the odd integration of Raw and Smackdown (wrestling shows) between Tokyo Ghoul and One Piece, middle of the night. :D

TheBigGuy said:
Yes. There are 3, which show anime regularly (older and semi-actual stuff) and some do show anime on occasion.

huh? What would be the other two?

RTL (group) practically stopped their daily One Piece, Yu Gi Oh, etc, or maybe they moved it to some new RTL-channel that we do not have here.
And I am not going to subscribe and pay to access RTL's streaming services.

So at the moment I only know of Prosiebenmaxx. They also offer some "episodes of the week" for streaming on their website, although it is a while that I watched there.

BannoBunka_snorkJul 27, 2017 8:15 AM
*darn, using my right hand is off-limits for a while. Typing with my left hand only is ... eww.*
Jul 27, 2017 8:13 AM
Jul 2018
When I was a kid I remember watching Pokemon, Yu Gi Oh!, Cardcaptor Sakura, Dragon Ball Z and Digimon. Maybe there's more, I don't know. But right now? No idea... Probably Naruto and One Piece but I'm not sure
Jul 27, 2017 8:47 AM

Apr 2017
Only kids shows like Pokémon, Moomin, Digimon etc. At least when I was a kid, no idea if any anime is being aired anymore though.

I don't think an anime series for adults has ever been aired on Swedish telvision and I don't think it ever will.
Jul 27, 2017 9:12 AM

Jun 2015
Only toonami I think.

Used to watch a ton of anime on there in the 90s.

Jul 27, 2017 9:20 AM
Jan 2017
Beyblade and Yokai Watch airs on Disney XD in America.
Jul 27, 2017 9:29 AM

Nov 2013
@BannoBunka_snork

I didn't notice, that RTL stopped showing anime. And Tele 5 did show stuff like One Piece and Yu-Gi-Oh in the afternoon, but not anymore. So there is only ProSieben MAXX left, like you said.

By the way, you can access Clipfish in RTL's media library, where you can watch anime for free.

Edit: now it's called Watchbox and the control is terrible.
TheBigGuyJul 27, 2017 9:41 AM
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Jul 27, 2017 9:39 AM

Aug 2016
We have a channel that airs kids anime like Pokemon and Beyblade, and we have a channel that used to air Naruto. Nothing else other than that.
Jul 27, 2017 10:00 AM

Mar 2008
They used to in the recent past, but nowadays it's kinda uncommon even in cartoon channels. Maybe pokemon? I dunno.
during my childhood there was a TV channel 100% focused on anime, called Animax. Mushishi, EVA, Gankutsuou, Juuni Kokuki... I remember watching these things for hours after school.
Jul 27, 2017 3:45 PM

Oct 2015
TheBigGuy said:
And Tele 5 did show stuff like One Piece and Yu-Gi-Oh in the afternoon, but not anymore.

Ah, yes, Tele5, of course.
Lately they showed a relatively new Captain Harlock film, and right now they run Gantz, but the live action version.
*darn, using my right hand is off-limits for a while. Typing with my left hand only is ... eww.*
Jul 27, 2017 3:51 PM

Nov 2013
BannoBunka_snork said:
TheBigGuy said:
And Tele 5 did show stuff like One Piece and Yu-Gi-Oh in the afternoon, but not anymore.

Ah, yes, Tele5, of course.
Lately they showed a relatively new Captain Harlock film, and right now they run Gantz, but the live action version.

Yeah. But I've already seen these movies.
Jul 27, 2017 4:09 PM

Aug 2013
On my local channel usually on Saturdays it will show Space Brothers and a Makoto Shinkai movie along with American cartoons as part of a Saturday morning cartoon block. On cable there is Yokai watch on Disney XD. That's about it, I guess.
DrGeroCreationJul 27, 2017 4:14 PM
Jul 27, 2017 4:12 PM

Jun 2013
Yes but you need satalite tv to get the tv programm :(
But I guess they at least send daily one piece and late at night detektiv conan, death note, psycho pass, monster musume and akame ga kill. But I dont like to watch anime in my mothertounge the translation is not very good :(
Jul 27, 2017 4:13 PM

May 2013
The UK tends to air more cartoons than anime.

Spongebob, Fairly OddParents, Powerpuff Girls etc

As a kid I remember I used to watch Pokemon, YuGiOh, Cardcaptor Sakura...
Jul 27, 2017 4:42 PM

Sep 2014
I don't watch TV anymore, but when I was growing in the 2000's there were a considerable number of anime in TV....

90% were battle shounen, some times there was some magical girl show or other shit, but oddly...

Smoke Weed Everyday
Jul 27, 2017 4:53 PM

Dec 2012
Only Doraemon, Shin-chan and Yokai Watch. Sometimes Pokemon, Dragon Ball, Beyblade and such.

Edit: I live in Spain, it seems it happens the same to both of us OP.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Are you involved in any fandom activity?

RobertBobert - 12 minutes ago

3 by Kenzolo-folk »»
18 seconds ago

» mal/Confessions

NoelleIsSleepy - 3 hours ago

22 by Jonas-K »»
2 minutes ago

» If you could change one anime into being a hardcore ecchi, which one would you pick?

APolygons2 - Yesterday

33 by Alpha-Nine »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » Is the term “weeb” offensive?

kusairo - 10 hours ago

29 by Saphiran »»
5 minutes ago

» Does your waifu know how to strike a good pose?

Catalano - Today

17 by Jonas-K »»
8 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.