Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 22, 2017 12:50 PM

Aug 2016
I got mixed feelings about this Death Note movie lol.
What do you guys think?

Reach out

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 22, 2017 12:53 PM

Jul 2016
Can't really say anything from what little I see. Looks more westernized, but I'm fine with that if the actors and story is good. Although, I can say that Ryuk's voice is really really nice/fits. We'll see if Netflix can make another one I'll enjoy.
Mar 22, 2017 12:54 PM

May 2015
Is Kira on crack now?

The pages of the DN are yellow as to give the impression it is ancient... I am more inclined to dislike it but I don't find it that bad of an idea.

2edgy4me
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 22, 2017 12:56 PM

Aug 2016
kamalashki said:
there is already a thread abt this in music and entertainment

Oh, didn't see it, my bad haha. Was kinda hyped to talk about it.

Reach out

Mar 22, 2017 12:58 PM

Feb 2016
> Netshix
> Death Note murican movie

Mar 22, 2017 1:02 PM

Feb 2015
Mar 22, 2017 1:10 PM

Jan 2013
Lmao, gonna give this a try. I hate Japanese live-action movies cause I really dislike Japanese actors's way of acting and I often find it cringeworthy, but since Americans are doing this one it might actually be fun, even though it's obvious that it's not going to be even 1/3 as good as the anime.
fuyukiMar 22, 2017 5:33 PM
Mar 22, 2017 1:17 PM

Aug 2016
Need to watch anime first, but this looks promising (not a fan of live-action generally)
Mar 22, 2017 5:14 PM

Jan 2011
Samuel L Jackson as L or nothing.

I might try it out eventually.
Mar 22, 2017 5:15 PM

Dec 2016
I think Death Note Evolution looks good
한 번만 살지만 제대로 하면 한 번이면 충분해요
Mar 22, 2017 5:21 PM
Nov 2016
Gotta watch the anime, then I will decide on what I think of it.
Right now, it doesn't look too bad but that's because I haven't seen the show.

Mar 22, 2017 5:30 PM

Feb 2016
He doesnt look nearly as hot as Light. I like the idea tho and if the execution is good then cool, even better if they dont have time to show
and end the movie before that :D

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Mar 22, 2017 6:07 PM

Apr 2014
I'd still give it a chance. I have some friends that aren't really into anime that much (nor do I care about adaptations, good or bad) so it could be a fun watch
Not a big manga reader so I won't care if the story is way different or whatever
Mar 22, 2017 6:23 PM
Jul 2018
Based solely on what was shown on this small teaser looks like it will be a full on brainless action type movie... Probably will watch it regardless, but i'm not expecting much from it.

zal said:

The pages of the DN are yellow as to give the impression it is ancient...

Is actually a ruse, Kira secretly switched the death note for a telephone directory in order to deceive L! :)
Mar 22, 2017 6:30 PM

Jul 2016
I'll probably only watch it if nothing else grabs my attention... maybe I'll actually read/watch the manga/anime now since this is coming out.
Mar 22, 2017 6:43 PM

Mar 2016
SeidouTZ said:
Based solely on what was shown on this small teaser looks like it will be a full on brainless action type movie... Probably will watch it regardless, but i'm not expecting much from it.

zal said:

The pages of the DN are yellow as to give the impression it is ancient...

Is actually a ruse, Kira secretly switched the death note for a telephone directory in order to deceive L! :)

Jokes on you the death note anime only pretends to be smart
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 22, 2017 6:50 PM

Dec 2015
I will not touch this movie with a ten foot pole. Straight garbage in my opinion.
Mar 22, 2017 6:53 PM
May 2015
I'm definitely going to watch this movie since it's more westernized and will be more tolerable to watch.

Thank the fuck, it's not a Japanese live-action movie. Japanese people should stick to anime and not their cringy-ass live action movie or series with their god-awful acting. Those Jap actors looks like a bunch of fucking losers when they act. They seriously remind me of those weebs I met in high school.

In short:
Japanese acting = How a weaboo acts
jc9622Mar 22, 2017 7:01 PM

Mar 22, 2017 7:02 PM

Dec 2009
DarkExtract said:

What do I think? I think Netflix is ruining a great anime. After that trailer, I don't think there's any chance that this movie will be good. There's still hope, though.

Wont ruin the anime. Im pretty sure my copy of Death Note will remain intact in the aftermath. Same way how the hollywood Ghost In The Shell will make some anime fans appreciate the original even more.
There is absolutely no reason why I should accept "turn your brain off" as a valid excuse to defend a poor show.

~

blatant ad: https://myanimelist.net/blog/Crusader_8 I spend the time to write it, so please read it lol
Mar 22, 2017 7:11 PM

Dec 2009
I have some soft concerns and hard concerns for this adaptation.

Soft (not serious) concerns:

1. The misa equivalent does not appear to be a loner goth chick.
2. One of the big strengths of the anime was the orchestral score. Will the adaptation's score just as effectively set the tone?
3. Light is supposed to be a genius. I'm worried the movie and the actor will have a tough time conveying this.

Hard concerns:

1. Shouldve been a series.
2. Admittedly we only saw a trailer, but the camera angles suggest to me so far that the directing has a strong chance of being pretty weak.
There is absolutely no reason why I should accept "turn your brain off" as a valid excuse to defend a poor show.

~

blatant ad: https://myanimelist.net/blog/Crusader_8 I spend the time to write it, so please read it lol
Mar 22, 2017 7:53 PM

Dec 2015
That trailler seems interesting XD as fan of Death Note, I might check it out? I dont know if I could watch it in here tho haha :v but hopefully it wont be dissapointing :D
If it does come out dissapointing then.. well.. I guess... Im just not gonna waste my time watching it XD also I prefer someone younger for Light Yagami :v somehow, that guy looks kinda too old for Light XD
"It’s so ri-ri-diculous that I h-hope you understand even if I st-st-stutter, my t-t-talking ability is a little lacking
Still I wanted to at least s-speak co-co-correctly but my mouth keeps getting c-c-crooked because I lo-lo-love it so much, love it so mu-much "

[signature]
Mar 22, 2017 7:55 PM

Dec 2014
jc9622 said:
I'm definitely going to watch this movie since it's more westernized and will be more tolerable to watch.

Thank the fuck, it's not a Japanese live-action movie. Japanese people should stick to anime and not their cringy-ass live action movie or series with their god-awful acting. Those Jap actors looks like a bunch of fucking losers when they act. They seriously remind me of those weebs I met in high school.

In short:

Acting in the eastern part of the world sucks in general
Mar 22, 2017 7:59 PM

May 2012
Trash. Light isn't aryan, he looks like he belongs in special ed. If you are gonna make light white, go all the way white. And they made L stand for Lequan. If he was one of those black emos with the skater hair that would've been cool, instead they turned him into marcus holloway. The acting doesn't look good.
Mar 22, 2017 8:08 PM

Jul 2015
I wouldn't watch it even if I had a Netflix subscription, which I don't. Fuck them for turning Death Note into a black vs. white fight, when it should just be a clash of ideologies and brains. I bet BLM terrorists will love this now that the good black guy fights the evil whitey. I'd rather have an adaptation with an all-black cast or an all-white cast than this, just to keep dumb murican race politics out of it.
Mar 22, 2017 8:11 PM

Jun 2015
Well considering I found the anime quite boring, I am assuming this will be average at best.
:)
Mar 22, 2017 8:29 PM

May 2016
ReaperCreeper said:

I have HAD it with these muthafuckin' deaths in these muthafuckin' prisons!

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Mar 22, 2017 8:30 PM

Sep 2011
Thread Moved

Live-action movie that isn't from Japan, at least that I know of.
Mar 22, 2017 9:50 PM

Dec 2009
I'm still scratching my head on why they didn't make it a series. The japanese movies don't do the story justice imo; Death Note really needed to be a series to work

~

Mar 23, 2017 4:25 AM
May 2015
LeMasta said:
jc9622 said:

In short:

I've watched a few Korean dramas myself and while their acting is not on par with Western acting, it's miles better than the shitty Japanese acting. In other words, Korean acting is pretty decent.

Mar 23, 2017 4:30 AM

May 2016
This will be a total failure ╰(〒皿〒)╯
Mar 23, 2017 6:15 AM

Apr 2016
The only thing I'm excited for is Willem Defoe as Ryuk. That's it.
The trailer showed Light(if that is his name in the movie) kissing/having sex(possibly).

Is that even possible? Does a genius with a God complex even has time for that ? ┐( ̄ヘ ̄)┌
Mar 23, 2017 6:20 AM

Jan 2009
i might watch it when a pirated version comes out
Mar 23, 2017 6:32 AM

Jan 2016
It's going to be a total failure. How are you going to make a 108 chapter manga into a single movie....
From the teaser doesn't even look like a game of chess but rather an action movie.
Mar 23, 2017 6:36 AM

Apr 2011
Omkar_Nagwade said:
The only thing I'm excited for is Willem Defoe as Ryuk. That's it.
The trailer showed Light(if that is his name in the movie) kissing/having sex(possibly).

Is that even possible? Does a genius with a God complex even has time for that ? ┐( ̄ヘ ̄)┌

The director has no idea what Death Note is about.
Mar 23, 2017 7:22 AM

Jan 2011
i hope its not as bad as the japanese live action films
Mar 23, 2017 7:48 AM
Jul 2018
END
MY
LIFE

Who came up with this idea?
Mar 23, 2017 7:58 AM

Mar 2014
Why does Light look like an emo meth addict who could shoot up a school at any given moment? Light being the embodiment of a perfect student while at the same time being a crazy serial killer was the whole point in the manga and its Chinese cartoon adaptation.

This completely goes against the main premise of the source material.

Anyway, this looks like a typical mindless action flicks. EXPECTATIONS = 0
jc9622 said:
Thank the fuck, it's not a Japanese live-action movie. Japanese people should stick to anime and not their cringy-ass live action movie or series with their god-awful acting.
dramas
Therein lies the problem.
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Mar 23, 2017 9:51 AM

Jul 2013
I don't really give a fuck if they're not asian, but at least make the actors look like the characters, y'know.

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Mar 23, 2017 10:06 AM
Aug 2014
I like the stuff netflix makes, to me this is good news

ReaperCreeper said:

made my day lol
no kidding tho i would love him to play the butler of L
Mar 23, 2017 10:06 AM

Nov 2014
jc9622 said:
LeMasta said:

I've watched a few Korean dramas myself and while their acting is not on par with Western acting, it's miles better than the shitty Japanese acting. In other words, Korean acting is pretty decent.

I beg to differ, Koreans have made some of the greatest cinema in this decade with exceptional acting rivaled to that of the best western actors, with some of the best acting I've seen delivered from the kids in Silence, so, I'd say I disagree that the Koreans/Japanese are bad at acting.
However, I do think that Japanese and Koreans have some of the shittiest acting and screenwriting when it comes to TV Shows and some adaptations based off of manga or anime.
Mar 23, 2017 10:44 AM

Jan 2015
ouriel said:
jc9622 said:

I beg to differ, Koreans have made some of the greatest cinema in this decade with exceptional acting rivaled to that of the best western actors, with some of the best acting I've seen delivered from the kids in Silence, so, I'd say I disagree that the Koreans/Japanese are bad at acting.
However, I do think that Japanese and Koreans have some of the shittiest acting and screenwriting when it comes to TV Shows and some adaptations based off of manga or anime.
I thought both west and east shared gold and shit on acting departement (and screenwriting)
only there different between cultural-behavior, standard and style make thing not simply for assessment of acting prowess especially from western's perspective(familiarity, knowledges) to the eastern counterpart

la critique de l'intention pure
Mar 23, 2017 5:04 PM
Jul 2018
Extect said:
SeidouTZ said:

Jokes on you the death note anime only pretends to be smart

That's why this live action will be 10 time better and smarter :^)
Mar 23, 2017 5:53 PM

Nov 2014
karambia said:
ouriel said:

I thought both west and east shared gold and shit on acting departement (and screenwriting)
only there different between cultural-behavior, standard and style make thing not simply for assessment of acting prowess especially from western's perspective(familiarity, knowledges) to the eastern counterpart

They both have good and bad actors, but when it comes to tv shows or cable shows, usually from the ones I've seen from Japan and Korea are far worse in terms of acting; as if I'm watching some artificial beings trying to do something that no human would do, especially coupled with the music and zoom ins and outs to make something even more dramatic, and, in turn making it laughable.
Western shows also fall prey to these kind of issues that just make you go cringe or laugh at the situation, altho, some of them are more balanced compared to their East counterpart.

However, I think there's one redeeming quality for the Western shows, and that's the premium channels, which in turn, balance all of the shit that is coming out from the regular tv shows and give us some great shows with superb acting, screenwriting and directing.

When it comes to cinema, all spheres of the world have produced great movies with exquisite acting, especially for more serious movies and art movie, tho there's also the fair share of shit that's also been produced.
Mar 23, 2017 7:34 PM

Mar 2016
j0x said:

You do realize it's a Netflix movie right?
Does anyone even not have Netflix nowadays?
Mar 23, 2017 8:13 PM

Apr 2011
Extect said:
j0x said:

Watching it on Netflix would give them (the producers) ideas that people liked this shit.
Mar 23, 2017 8:20 PM

Mar 2016
yhunata said:
Extect said:

Watching it on Netflix would give them (the producers) ideas that people liked this shit.

Or watch it, decide then, and give it 1 star if it's bad then fewer people would watch it and the producers would know it's a flop..

I'll decide after I watch it and not from a trailer and 1 quote
Mar 23, 2017 8:20 PM

Jul 2015
Looks like trash.
Mar 23, 2017 8:22 PM

Jan 2009
Extect said:
j0x said:

its common to not have Netflix subscription where i live since im living in a poor country
Mar 23, 2017 8:35 PM

Jan 2015
ouriel said:
karambia said:

They both have good and bad actors, but when it comes to tv shows or cable shows, usually from the ones I've seen from Japan and Korea are far worse in terms of acting; as if I'm watching some artificial beings trying to do something that no human would do, especially coupled with the music and zoom ins and outs to make something even more dramatic, and, in turn making it laughable.
Western shows also fall prey to these kind of issues that just make you go cringe or laugh at the situation, altho, some of them are more balanced compared to their East counterpart.

However, I think there's one redeeming quality for the Western shows, and that's the premium channels, which in turn, balance all of the shit that is coming out from the regular tv shows and give us some great shows with superb acting, screenwriting and directing.

When it comes to cinema, all spheres of the world have produced great movies with exquisite acting, especially for more serious movies and art movie, tho there's also the fair share of shit that's also been produced.
west(U.S) tend to be more natural and realism on the approach of their show ( story, acting) - and still lot I'd seen bad and decent stuff eventho' I'm never avid watcher of their cable tv.
Asian tend to be more overdramatized and over the top with their style - in line with over react and over gesture, talk japan.
I don't simply said it in defense, like we agree there both share fair of shit, but there fundamental different on cultural/tradition thing.

I saw couple great typical over the top dorama and it can not simply categorized as "bad acting" - in context of that the whole show intended to emphasized -
But it's not in safe position as there over the top shows that can't be safe from bad cast and writing - like india tv drama was shit of the shit

If you watch more mature series like midnight dorama then u'll find stuff that's (a bit) more natural like shinya sokudo - I think it available in netflix -

Extect said:
j0x said:

obviously not everyone have netflix
karambiaMar 23, 2017 8:48 PM

la critique de l'intention pure
Mar 23, 2017 8:41 PM

Apr 2011
Extect said:
yhunata said:

Or watch it, decide then, and give it 1 star if it's bad then fewer people would watch it and the producers would know it's a flop..

I'll decide after I watch it and not from a trailer and 1 quote

You act as if these idiots care about the ratings the movie will get. If it was about that, Hollywood would've stopped making these adaptions a long ass time ago.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Non anime Japanese Movies recommendations

Akuho993 - 6 hours ago

4 by SaiteiDaOrette »»
2 hours ago

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7647 by sund0wner »»
7 hours ago

» What was the last song you listened to? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Death - Oct 1, 2020

3415 by Ricchan__ »»
7 hours ago

» Discuss the last movie you watched ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

GloriousHawk - Dec 29, 2012

4829 by RenaPsychoKiller »»
Yesterday, 4:57 PM

» What was the last TV show episode (non anime) have you watched?

Vargnatt - Mar 23

35 by RenaPsychoKiller »»
Yesterday, 3:17 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.