Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 15, 2017 9:08 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Welp this show is back for good now.

I mean, the creepy night and even, a creepier cat.
Jan 15, 2017 12:11 PM

Jun 2013
Didn't really start off with a bang though did it? We really didn't need another season of this as it was clear they were running out of ideas half way through the second season and now we're on the fourth. Well the third season had some ups so I hope this one does too.

P.S. My judgement may be a bit bias as I don't scare all that easily.
My signature is lame...
Jan 15, 2017 12:27 PM

Mar 2013
ok so were back to the old man but he has a different voice actor it fits because he's old but I still prefer the old voice mainly because he was scary or at least sounded scary/creepy. ok not sure if I like the live action segments and definitely do not like the ending. at least the episode was ok but I'm still confused so the cat followed him but where did the woman come from? she says that he noticed the cat but not her so is she implying that there was a dead body somewhere around or that she was buried in the same spot as the cat? either way I'm confused.
Jan 15, 2017 12:44 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
nice first episode, with a surprise in the end.... Be careful with a the cats is near to death!!! xD
Jan 15, 2017 1:19 PM
Jun 2016
In my opinion, the live action portions just upped the creepy atmosphere. I don't scare very easy either but I do find this series overall enjoyable. Definitely not scary but eerie and strange for sure.
Jan 15, 2017 2:12 PM

Feb 2013
This was scary,lol, I wasn't expecting something else besides the dead cat's soul.
Jan 15, 2017 5:58 PM

Oct 2014
Pretty good in my opinion. Certainly miles better than the terrible third season and better than most of season 2's episodes. Looking forward to where this goes.
RainyRai said:

>not appreciating how much of a cunt Asuka is
How disgusting tbh
Jan 15, 2017 6:15 PM
Dec 2015
They changed the voice actor??? whyyyyyyyyyyy
i'll still watch it though.
Jan 15, 2017 7:33 PM

Oct 2011
Omg ceeepy yamishibai is back.
omg that cat
Jan 15, 2017 9:05 PM

Aug 2015
lmao that ending song .. why
Jan 15, 2017 9:45 PM
Jul 2013
Damn it got me!.. didn't expect that.
The show started reallyyy well. Better than s3 fr sure
Jan 15, 2017 10:49 PM

Sep 2014
that ending song is just like your usual slice of life anime ending song lel
Jan 16, 2017 6:58 AM

Sep 2011
better than all of S3 but i feel like this was right there with being a good episode had the narrator not talked the entire way through, it had the atmosphere to build up tension like S1 used to but him talking ruined it.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jan 16, 2017 7:46 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
It's back!
I don't think it will ever get as scary as the first season but I till enjoy this immensely.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jan 16, 2017 9:28 AM

Sep 2013
Going with full narration this time like real kamishibai, takes away some suspense but whatever.

The woman came out of nowhere and had cat pupils so she took over the cat to get at the guy.
Jan 16, 2017 10:47 AM

Feb 2016
The most disappointing thing about the season is ending. Seriously, this kind of crap after 3rd season's "Naa? Naa? Naa?"

Like, really?
Jan 16, 2017 8:59 PM

Nov 2015
I will no more save a cat after this.

Jan 16, 2017 10:44 PM

Nov 2012
I though there's would be more jumpscare or whatever. Sadly there's not
Jan 17, 2017 4:32 AM
Apr 2016
can someone tell me what's the meaning of the story? don't really get it
Jan 17, 2017 7:54 AM

Aug 2012
So they ended up changing the VA for the Storyteller, huh? That was a huge mistake, Kanji Tsuda's performance was always one of the best things the series had going for it. As for the episode itself, I like the new visual style, seems to mesh better for horror (though the grave bit was a little weird, the ending with the face was better utilized). However, the constant narration basically killed any chance of this working as a horror piece. I suppose it makes the Storyteller's presence more felt and accurate to how these tales would be told I guess, but it makes us so detached from the story its telling it was hard to feel any investment or suspense. Least, that's how it was for me. If this is going to be the continuing theme this season for Yami Shibai, it's going to wind up as another stinker for me.

& lol at the more peaceful, slice-of-life esque ED for this season.

Kinda shocked they dropped three episodes at once on us though, I mean, the season just started yesterday right? I'm pretty sure last season was once a week. Does this mean a longer season or . . . ?
Jan 17, 2017 9:50 AM

Mar 2014
Hatifnatik said:
The most disappointing thing about the season is ending. Seriously, this kind of crap after 3rd season's "Naa? Naa? Naa?"

Like, really?

I still miss the miku endings, but yeah this is the worst yet.
Looks like they're going for a new style this season I just hope there's no cartoony monsters.
Jan 17, 2017 11:38 AM

Jun 2015
The style is a little different.

What the hell was this at the end?
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Jan 17, 2017 11:40 AM

Jun 2015
Shuichi2 said:
Hatifnatik said:

Like, really?

Looks like they're going for a new style this season I just hope there's no cartoony monsters.

This ending was sung by Miku? it's my favorite it made the episodes even creepier
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Jan 17, 2017 12:55 PM

Mar 2014
Niveen_Sleem said:
Shuichi2 said:

This ending was sung by Miku? it's my favorite it made the episodes even creepier

I think the first 2 seasons were sung by miku
Jan 22, 2017 11:30 AM

Oct 2015
mehh what happened to the old narrator? I really loved the voice it suited the series sooo much better ;-;
Jan 22, 2017 2:51 PM

Sep 2013
If they only cut back the narration this would be fine. It was a decent first episode and the implementation of real footage is somewhat creepy and I can see them using them in creative ways. Real faces or human shapes for example.

As to what the ending meant, it's probably a woman he could not find/safe.

This episode would have been so much better if they made the guy a police man and cut the narration after the start, so people can puzzle it together.

And regular citizens don't have that much of a duty to save people, so it would have been a good twist to make people think.

Decent episode 3/5
Jan 23, 2017 12:36 AM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
...What? Like, no point A to B just cat to WAIT BUT THERE WAS ANOTHER DEAD BODY. What? Like...?? At least let us follow something a little more to get to that point? We need a link for us to understand why that even matters? Maybe it's a cultural thing I'm missing here or a tale which goes along with this that I just don't know, but the guy was talking through the whole thing; he couldn't throw in a little explanation? Come on.
So we get this random guy who saves a cat and woooo, the spirit of the cat follows him home-- BUT WAIT, some random girl's spirit too!

On the other hand, this did remind me of something I've always been told by my mom; that people will do something for a dead/dying animal before they do something for a dead/dying person. Maybe...?

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Jan 23, 2017 12:15 PM
Oct 2016
For those cofused about the ending- I'll add my conclusion. This is coming from the perspective of someone who's read creepypasta and horror novels for years, so I have a pretty good grasp on how these stories are laid out.
Ep. 1 is brilliant and probably my favorite of all in Yamishibai.
The girl died in a car crash. One day as she was driving down the road, she saw a cat crossing the road. She probaby didn't see it untill last second and swerved hard to try to avoid it. She crashed the car and died and hit the cat as well.
Fast forward a few days (when a dead body would be removed by then but not necessarily a dead cat). The man finds it and buries it, thus honoring it. However he didn't honor the dead girl or even visit her grave (probaby because he wasn't aware of what happened a few days prior). Thus the dead girl decides to haunt him because he honored the cat but not her. This is why the girl's spirit asked "What about me?".
Allthough my entire theory is based on this line the the suggestive circumstantial evidence, this is usually how plot twists in short horror stories are done. This is the most plausible theory I can think of and with it the story makes a lot more sense. Thoughts?
Jan 23, 2017 7:48 PM
Jun 2014
The ending of the last season was pretty good but the vegging of this season feels a bit slow. It's up to episode 4 probably of 12 and so far they aren't making intense situtation or using jump scares to scare people but my biggest problem is the ending song. If they do something right and freak you out but then you hear that ending song your just snapped back out of being scared seconds after they get you there because the song is just so non threatening
Jan 27, 2017 7:20 AM
Sep 2015
The animation is better, at least.
It looks more clear.
That woman in the end scared me, xD. This was indeed a scary start
Apr 14, 2017 4:53 PM

May 2012
The ending song is rather weak compared to the previous season (that one kicked ass!) But well nice back to the original roots of this series. Let's see what's next.
Apr 19, 2017 7:36 AM

May 2016
The Narrator has a different voice and has a bigger role in the stories now. Along with the reduced animation (which I enjoyed) and the lax ED, this has some getting used to.

I was a little confused but when I understood what happened, it was pretty good.

Jul 11, 2017 9:03 AM

Jan 2015
ending song doesnt feel for the anime like this. Also why the fuck ghost is blaming a guy who didnt find her? yes he found a cat because it made sounds, if a ghost wanted to be heard she could've made some attempts, so she cant blame a guy for not finding her. And why would a ghost go and harass someone who didnt do anything to her? Ghosts exist because of vengeance towards a particular person, he didnt do anything to incur her being vengeful towards him.
Jul 14, 2017 7:57 PM

Aug 2014
AND WE'RE BACK

WITH ROCK BOTTOM EXPECTATIONS

AND A SISTER WITH ME TO SUF- I MEAN ENJOY WITH!

---

YES! LET US PUNISH THE MAN WHO HAS DONE A GOOD DEED ALL BECAUSE HE DIDN'T FIND A PISSY WOMAN'S CORPSE

MORAL OF THE STORY?

NEVER DO GOOD DEEDS! YOU'LL BE PUNISHED IF YOU DO, KIDS! :D

Rock bottom expectations.

---

NARRATOR-SAN WHAT HAPPENED TO YOUR VOICE?!?!?!?

Jul 20, 2017 4:39 PM
Jul 2016
the ending song had me in tears it suits the show so well
Jan 16, 2019 2:21 AM
Aug 2017
kasai_san_ said:
For those cofused about the ending- I'll add my conclusion. This is coming from the perspective of someone who's read creepypasta and horror novels for years, so I have a pretty good grasp on how these stories are laid out.
The girl died in a car crash. One day as she was driving down the road, she saw a cat crossing the road. She probaby didn't see it untill last second and swerved hard to try to avoid it. She crashed the car and died and hit the cat as well.
Fast forward a few days (when a dead body would be removed by then but not necessarily a dead cat). The man finds it and buries it, thus honoring it. However he didn't honor the dead girl or even visit her grave (probaby because he wasn't aware of what happened a few days prior). Thus the dead girl decides to haunt him because he honored the cat but not her. This is why the girl's spirit asked "What about me?".
Allthough my entire theory is based on this line the the suggestive circumstantial evidence, this is usually how plot twists in short horror stories are done. This is the most plausible theory I can think of and with it the story makes a lot more sense. Thoughts?

I love this, exactly what I was thinking.
Jan 16, 2019 2:22 AM
Aug 2017
This was a nice start to the new season but I didn't like the over narrating bit. And they could have fleshed this out a bit better. Still, I think I can safely put this in my favorites
Jul 6, 2019 6:26 PM

Sep 2008
Too much narration is killing the mood. I also prefer the old narrator's way of speaking.

The ED is a bit of a letdown after the awesome ED they had in season 3.
Oct 29, 2019 4:38 PM

Feb 2019
This episode gave me major ju-on vibes! That movie scared the crap out of me
Aug 1, 2020 3:17 PM

Jun 2017
this episode made no sense and was pretty bad, and after finishing the 4th season i really have to say that it set the scene for the "quality" of the rest of the season too, as half the episodes this season made absolutely no sense whatsoever, at least imo.

kasai_san_ said:

that makes no sense. if there is no trace of the accident then there is no way in hell he can figure out that there was an accident there and people died in it and pay respects to them, which means no way for anyone, alive or dead, to blame him. furthermore, no way in hell for a cat that has been run over by a car to survive for multiple days, especially with 0 treatment. even with treatment it is nearly impossible.
Oct 6, 2020 11:24 PM

Jul 2012
Sad. I think the girl's spirit latched onto the cat's. No one found the girl's but I presume it was near the cat's. Her tone and what she says suggests she wasn't happy about that.

She's doesn't seem like a happy spirit and definitely seems jealous of the cat.
Maybe the strength of her spirit allowed the cat's to revisit the person which worked into her plan of finding the guy and both of them materializing.

Lot of spirit, channeling to what kind of emotions?
That's unfortunate for the guy.
Feels like losing all five senses &
Maybe not able to have thoughts,

Enjoi...
Nov 2, 2020 5:12 PM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
kasai_san_ said:
For those cofused about the ending- I'll add my conclusion. -snip- This is the most plausible theory I can think of and with it the story makes a lot more sense. Thoughts?
Late on this. Very imaginative, but I think you missed something there. The lady was implying that her actual body (not her spirit) was still around that area. She was annoyed that they found the cat's body but not her body.

I don't think anyone was really confused with the ending itself but instead confused as to why they would present it the way they did. There really wasn't any reason for us to assume that there was a dead body anywhere (aside from the cat) except for when the lady told us that her body was there. So what was originally about the cat turned into something else completely and that was just weird storytelling.

Like put this style of storytelling in another context (let's say children's book style) and it's just as weird:

Once there a girl named Sally. She found a dog walking down the road! A random passerby said that Sally shouldn't bring the dog home. Sally took the dog home anyway. How cute! The dog was a little weird though. The dog came into her room. The turtle said, "You didn't take me home"--

Like, WHAT?! WHY?! WHAT turtle?! When was there a turtle?!?!? It's not in the context of a scary story, but it's pretty much what happened in this episode. In regular stories, you'd need to lead up to this turtle somehow. You don't just throw it in! In this episode it was all about the cat. The cat died, the cat was buried. Oh shiz, the cat's in the room. He remembers what the girls said about the cat. Uh oh, this cat is licking. Oh btw, here's a lady.

Again, I'm sure most of us get it. He apparently didn't find this lady's body that must have been nearby, but there was just nothing to lead up to that or even hint at that. It's just confusing as to why they would tell a story that way. Like yo even if they had just a trash bag on the side of the road, that would have been pretty legitimate. Like you'd think it's normal at first, but putting it into context it'd be like, "OH SHIZ. She was probably in the trash bag. That's not a trash area now that I think about it". I dunno, something like that. Sure, they had a field there and I guess you can kinda assume, "Hmm killers tend to dump bodies in fields", but that's just not enough. If it was one of those high grass fields then yeah sure, I'd buy it.

Like, even if it's not scary then at least give us something that makes us go, "Ooh. I see how this happened. Clever".

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Oct 24, 2021 5:08 AM
Feb 2015
Gosh the VA is just ruining the show.. the voice is way too cheerful T.T welp sad that this series went downhill after s1

And the real life clips.. why did they do that omg
JunelovesanimeOct 24, 2021 5:14 AM
Oct 24, 2021 5:24 AM

Feb 2014
Ok, that ghost girl at the end, while not really tied to the cat story (at least I don't see how), was very creepy xD.
Dec 27, 2021 6:16 AM

Feb 2020
That girl in the end was creepy.

I liked the ending song, especially the animation and those two cats. :3
May 11, 2022 10:05 PM

Feb 2021
Damn that ghost woman was creepy.

I didn't really understand why the ghost targeted him. What does she mean he found the cat's body but not her? It's not like HE was the one to find it. The kids were the first ones to do so.

Now it could be that the woman was murdered by the man and dumped somewhere but when she realised that even a cat got a decent burial, she was pissed. Idk might be a stretch.

Including irl footage definitely added to the atmosphere

Bruh why was the ED so cheerful?
DeonXMay 11, 2022 10:10 PM

Sep 21, 2022 9:52 AM

Oct 2019
was really bored by this ep. felt the scare was underwhelming. lets see if it gets scarier.
"Perfection is perception. For me, humanity's imperfections is what makes it perfect"

Dec 21, 2023 3:27 PM
Mar 2016
Reply to Swiggy
kasai_san_ said:
For those cofused about the ending- I'll add my conclusion. -snip- This is the most plausible theory I can think of and with it the story makes a lot more sense. Thoughts?
Late on this. Very imaginative, but I think you missed something there. The lady was implying that her actual body (not her spirit) was still around that area. She was annoyed that they found the cat's body but not her body.

I don't think anyone was really confused with the ending itself but instead confused as to why they would present it the way they did. There really wasn't any reason for us to assume that there was a dead body anywhere (aside from the cat) except for when the lady told us that her body was there. So what was originally about the cat turned into something else completely and that was just weird storytelling.

Like put this style of storytelling in another context (let's say children's book style) and it's just as weird:

Once there a girl named Sally. She found a dog walking down the road! A random passerby said that Sally shouldn't bring the dog home. Sally took the dog home anyway. How cute! The dog was a little weird though. The dog came into her room. The turtle said, "You didn't take me home"--

Like, WHAT?! WHY?! WHAT turtle?! When was there a turtle?!?!? It's not in the context of a scary story, but it's pretty much what happened in this episode. In regular stories, you'd need to lead up to this turtle somehow. You don't just throw it in! In this episode it was all about the cat. The cat died, the cat was buried. Oh shiz, the cat's in the room. He remembers what the girls said about the cat. Uh oh, this cat is licking. Oh btw, here's a lady.

Again, I'm sure most of us get it. He apparently didn't find this lady's body that must have been nearby, but there was just nothing to lead up to that or even hint at that. It's just confusing as to why they would tell a story that way. Like yo even if they had just a trash bag on the side of the road, that would have been pretty legitimate. Like you'd think it's normal at first, but putting it into context it'd be like, "OH SHIZ. She was probably in the trash bag. That's not a trash area now that I think about it". I dunno, something like that. Sure, they had a field there and I guess you can kinda assume, "Hmm killers tend to dump bodies in fields", but that's just not enough. If it was one of those high grass fields then yeah sure, I'd buy it.

Like, even if it's not scary then at least give us something that makes us go, "Ooh. I see how this happened. Clever".
@Swiggy hahahha lmao. Well said !!

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yami Shibai 4th Season Episode 13 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 26, 2017

38 by matta37 »»
Nov 14, 2023 7:55 AM

Poll: » Yami Shibai 4th Season Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 19, 2017

32 by SivanSensei »»
Jul 16, 2023 12:08 PM

Poll: » Yami Shibai 4th Season Episode 6 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 5, 2017

32 by MarcoAurelioII »»
Jul 12, 2023 8:25 PM

Poll: » Yami Shibai 4th Season Episode 4 Discussion

FallenEntity - Jan 22, 2017

35 by MarcoAurelioII »»
Jul 11, 2023 9:05 PM

Poll: » Yami Shibai 4th Season Episode 3 Discussion

Stark700 - Jan 15, 2017

47 by MarcoAurelioII »»
Jul 11, 2023 8:28 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.