Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 15, 2016 10:51 PM

Oct 2014
I recently added Attack on Titan to my dropped list after seeing the first 5 minutes and realizing that I wouldn't enjoy it. The reason why I put it there is so people will know that I at least tried it and won't try to recommend it to me. I've also noticed that even single-episode anime like Spirited Away and Wolf Children do have drop counts (both are at about 300) so obviously this must not be too uncommon.

Do you only add anime to your dropped list after you've seen a certain amount? Have you rated any anime in your dropped list that you've seen less than 1/5 of? Have you ever dropped an anime more than halfway through? Do you even drop anime? What do you think about people who drop anime movies or put popular anime in their dropped list that they haven't seen much of?
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Aug 15, 2016 10:58 PM

Feb 2015
I don't bother adding anime I dropped before finishing the first episode.
Aug 15, 2016 10:59 PM
VA-11 HALL-A

Aug 2014
Yeah, I did that for both FMA shows... and I don't feel bad about it one bit. If it's not for you then why go through the effort of watching something you know you're not gonna like, even if you haven't made it past the first episode.

"πšƒπš’πš–πšŽ 𝚝𝚘 πš–πš’πš‘ πšπš›πš’πš—πš”πšœ πšŠπš—πš πšŒπš‘πšŠπš—πšπšŽ πš•πš’πšŸπšŽπšœ."
β˜† π™°πš—πš’πš–πšŽ π™»πš’πšœπš β˜†
β˜† πš…π™½π™³πš‹ β˜†
β˜† π™±πšŠπšŒπš”πš•πš˜πšπšπšŽπš›πš’ β˜†
Aug 15, 2016 11:02 PM

May 2015
If I can't make it through the first episode, I won't add it to my list. And labeling it dropped would ruin my reputation for not dropping anything.
Cross-country >>>>>>>>>>>> Every other sport
Aug 15, 2016 11:02 PM

Jul 2012
I don't drop anime personally, but in reference to dropping a series in less than 1 episode it seems like it's just making the list more cluttered without really adding anything significant to it. I guess the only counterexample for that though would be the event that a person actively asks for recommendations from either anonymous people or a group of friends frequently and wants to exclude those series. For movies or other one episode entries though it's purely a waste of space.
Aug 15, 2016 11:03 PM

Oct 2014
Most of the anime I have dropped are very shit.
I dropped Danmachi Halfway when I realized what the show is.

But Big order is thus far the only anime I have dropped after only 1 episode.
Seriously don't watch it.

And I rate every show I have watched, including the ones I drop early.
Aug 15, 2016 11:04 PM

Jun 2015
Well I dropped Danmachi without seeing a single episode of it so can't really judge. Though I do find dropping movies a little odd but somewhat understandable.
"I have respect for those who have lived a full life."
- Decim (Death Parade)
"I want to deliver your eulogy."

- Otshepagetse

Aug 15, 2016 11:04 PM

Jan 2013
If I've seen more than one episode I'll add it to my dropped list. If I can't even make it past the first ten minutes I won't even bother adding it to my list. Although I haven't really done this in years for I'm a lot better at being selective with the series I watch (or I'm so empathetic I finish them regardless).

I don't rate past episode three (to my surprise a lot of people do this too), so if I haven't made it that far it'll stay unrated. The only series I've dropped halfway through is Fate/Stay Night (vomits profusely). I tried so hard to understand why people liked that series but just couldn't get through it. I try really hard not to drop anime nowadays even if I find them near insufferable (Love Live Sunshine) although even amongst all the horrible there are still bits that I can enjoy about said works.

As for what I think of people dropping shows, it's no big deal. If it doesn't appeal to you, it's not your thing. Simple as that really. I wouldn't fret over somebody dropping one of my favorite just because they don't find it as applicable as I do.
ChandelaAug 15, 2016 11:25 PM
Aug 15, 2016 11:05 PM

Mar 2016
-I add everything even if i've only watched 1 episode
-I rate everything even if i've only watched 1 episode
-If i've watched it half way throuh , i'll push myself to finish ( most of the time , unless its really shitty )
-Popularity doesn't always mean " good " . Everyone has different tastes , watching anime is supposed to be about enjoying yourself , its not a job , if you don't like it there's no reason to continue watching it unless you really hate yourself and want to waste your time . I drop anime at episode 1 often too
Aug 15, 2016 11:07 PM

Jun 2015
there are long anime that i forgot how many episode i watched when i was younger, so i just put them as dropped (too lazy to watch long anime again). but i still rate them because i do remember how i felt when watching those

if im watching a show i dont really like more than halfway through, then it means i still have some interest and curiosity to finish it , otherwise i just drop it in a few first episode if i dont enjoy/ have any interest

the people who drop movies and popular anime? heh, they did the right thing tho, no need to push themselves if they dont enjoy it or have no motivation to finish the entire thing
Aug 15, 2016 11:10 PM

Feb 2013
lololo you remind me of that guy geting (very metaphorically) shat on for dropping one piece man in 10 minutes

some people use dropped as "don't watch", since mal doesn't have separate lists for those like anime-planet does (with a nice shade of purple!)

but anyway i dont see the point of a drop list; i'd rather have them just vaguely floating in my mind every once in a while than being reminded of that one series i couldn't give a shit about 2 years ago whenever i plunge into the depths of my list

Have you ever dropped an anime more than halfway through?
most memorably Magi; i think it was around episode 14 when the new season started, and i figured i should wait until more episodes come out.. then i completely forgot about it, and when i tried to continue i forgot where i was left, and i never bothered with it again
i lost interest mostly cuz morgana wasn't the waifu material i was promised before starting the series

What do you think about people who drop anime movies or put popular anime in their dropped list that they haven't seen much of?
not much
dropping a movie partway through is unusual but understandable... a part of them might have been added in the idea of "dropped" = "won't watch"
and dropping popular shows makes a lot of sense since you have more curiosity/pressure to start the series'n all, but that obviously doesn't guarantee you'll like it
Aug 15, 2016 11:11 PM

Jul 2009
Only add to 'dropped' after finishing first episode. If I manage to power through after that I'll never drop it. Then again, I never watch airing shows.
Aug 15, 2016 11:12 PM

Jan 2008
I only add shows I've seen at least 3 episodes on my list, otherwise my drop list would be double the size of its current size.

As someone who tries about every show airing each season, I've dropped shows before finishing the first episode and I've dropped movies before as well, which I don't add. I will drop a show regardless of length as I have shows dropped before the last episode.
Aug 15, 2016 11:12 PM

Mar 2014
I rarely drop anime. Usually I do a bit of research beforehand to see if I would like it going in (which is why I usually give out high scores)

I've only dropped 3 things so far for plot reasons:

• .hack//Roots: Snail-pace plot progression is completely undone by idiot angsty MC in the end. Not gonna bother wasting my time with that.
  • Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi: Introduced very interesting character, who then killed himself for the most idiotic reason I have ever seen in my life. He literally had no reason to die other than because he couldn't and wanted to, and had some very good reasons to live.
  • Corpse party: Plot is completely obscured by ridiculously overdone gore. Barely got through 1 episode.
VysarineAug 15, 2016 11:16 PM
Aug 15, 2016 11:24 PM

Mar 2014
I don't add it to my dropped list unless I finish at least one episode. I think there are a few shows I stopped watching halfway through, maybe like 10.
Aug 15, 2016 11:58 PM

Jul 2013
The first two anime I've been dropped were Psychic Academy, it was a terrible adaptation compared to the manga I've been reading when I was a kid. I only managed to get into episode 5 and then years later there is Dog Days I was able to get to 10 episode before deciding to end my anguish. Ever since I've become more selective of anime and rarely drop an anime.

As for those who drop popular anime, what's wrong with that as long as you have enough reason to. But in my opinion rating it after watching just a mere episode is absurd.
The point where the darkness lies
Is the place I hide my true self
Are you prepared to open your eyes?
Cause between those line is yourself
Aug 16, 2016 12:01 AM

Nov 2009
Recently, if I decide not to watch an TV anime on the 1st or 2nd episode, I don't add them to drop list. I carefully delete it from my "plan to watch" list, even if that takes more actions.
In the past, a few such shows slipped into dropped list.

I do rate some dropped anime, especially the long-runners that I got tired of, and the anime I found actively offensive, like Angel Core.

>Have you ever dropped an anime more than halfway through?
I have dropped K-ON!! (got bored) and Itsuka Tenma no Kuro Usagi (somehow, it never got to the good part), Paniponi Dash! (12 episodes, and it still didn't make sense, nor was it funny enough)

>What do you think about people who drop anime movies?
I did put the old Vampire Hunter D movie in the "dropped" list. I wouldn't surprise me if some people did something similar.

>What do you think about people who put popular anime in their dropped list that they haven't seen much of?
I don't care.

>Danmachi
It was one of the better shows of its season, with good writing, interesting characters and a healthy doze of realism. I don't understand why it gets so much hate.
Aug 16, 2016 12:13 AM

May 2012
I have never dropped an anime only 1 episode in. If I drop an anime at any point, it will be on my dropped list. I dropped kill la kill, green green and a few others. I didn't really enjoy them. I don't care if other people drop movies or other anime.
Aug 16, 2016 12:18 AM
Feb 2016
I have only dropped one anime till date , Monster
Dropped Monster after watching 22 episodes , just couldnt engage myself in it any further
Aug 16, 2016 12:23 AM

Dec 2015
Since I'm rather new to anime, I want to give everything a chance and won't drop anything I start watching. Maybe that'll change once my taste gets more cultivated as I watch more shows. And when it does, I will add any shows I've dropped even if it's only after a few minutes, so I'll remember that I already checked them out and didn't like.

Why wouldn't one drop a show after the half-way point if they no longer enjoy watching it? I was so close to dropping Blood+ after like 45/50 episodes and now in retrospect should've done that too.
Aug 16, 2016 12:43 AM

Apr 2011
Most of the things I dropped were then deleted from my list. I mean if I'm not even going to watch more than an episode, it doesn't deserve to be on there in the first place. No point in me affecting it's overall MAL score.
Ericonator said:
By definition, everything is retro since by the time you realize something has happened it's already in the past.
Aug 16, 2016 12:50 AM

Jun 2015
Milennin said:
I don't bother adding anime I dropped before finishing the first episode.

This.

Anything else that hasn't passed the 3 ep. rule or I didn't try to watch again, I don't add as well.
Aug 16, 2016 1:13 AM

Jun 2016
OmegaOtaku said:
Yeah, I did that for both FMA shows... and I don't feel bad about it one bit. If it's not for you then why go through the effort of watching something you know you're not gonna like, even if you haven't made it past the first episode.

It's fine if you don't like it, but how do you know something is overrated after seeing 5 minutes of it and why would you rate it a 1?
Aug 16, 2016 1:41 AM

Jun 2016
Out of principle I always sit through at least the first episode.I blame my optimism and OCD for that.I refuse to add them to my list though, there'd be a ton especially if I also added all the ones I dropped back when I watched anime on TV.

Dunno why I tortured myself with Code Geass for 20 episodes though, I knew after 7 episodes that it was shit but oh well.
Erg_OrgyAug 16, 2016 2:52 AM
Aug 16, 2016 1:42 AM

Sep 2015
pfffh, dropping animes don't satisfy the little masochist inside me who enjoys tormenting my soul with horrible and mediocre anime.
Aug 16, 2016 1:46 AM

Nov 2014
I don't add things to my list if I didn't finish at least 2 episodes. If I did half of my list would be dropped anime :s
Aug 16, 2016 2:06 AM
Jul 2016
I tend to watch at least the first episode of an anime, to try to see any start of a plot. I've dropped Shingeki no Kyojin and The Devil is a Part Timer as they were boring, and they didn't interest me.
Aug 16, 2016 2:17 AM

Dec 2015
I don't add stuff to my list that I dropped after just one episode but I understand why people would do that.
I don't understand why people drop movies. It's like 70-120 minutes, you can make it through, no matter how terrible it is.
Aug 16, 2016 2:21 AM

Feb 2016
No, if i put an anime on my ptw list is because i watched trailer, read the plot and i like it and (if it s already come out) some amv on youtube that hype me to watch it now..
Then i drop a show only if:
-i have great expectations and just after a couple of eps totally disappoint me because i expected a whole different kind of things (assassination s classroom)
-overrated anime which is normal to have Huuge expections (fmab) and again fuk me up with childish behaviors.. (Because it tries to be mature but 100% fails.. i resisted until ep 43 so fma fans, u can t say anything)
Answering your question--> no i only drop an anime after i watch at least half or more of the show (only one exception) and i personally hate the one who drop and Rate an anime just by watching 1 ep (don t worry not ur case ahah)
Aug 16, 2016 2:22 AM

Feb 2013
I finish anything I start watching, even if it hurts my eyes watching it, I NEVER DROP ANIME.
Aug 16, 2016 2:31 AM

Jul 2013
I clearly drop a lot, but I usually give something at least 1 episode, and even then I should have given them more time. Five min however isn't enough to know if you like or dislike something. Dropping something that fast is just low attention span.
Aug 16, 2016 2:32 AM
BL Connoisseur

Oct 2008
I add every single anime I've seen, including the ones I dropped even at less than 1 episode, because I know my tastes will change in the future and there might be something I would want to try again at that point in time. This has happened quite a few times in the past few years to me, where I would transfer the anime from dropped to on-hold or even start watching it again and realizing that I actually like it now and just didn't understand the appeal when I was younger.

And yes, I don't hesitate to drop anime at any point in time, whether I've seen 1 episode or half of the series. If at some point I stopped enjoying it and it becomes torture, I just drop the hell out of it. If I managed to wade through the mud and filth for a long time and only have a couple more episodes to go, then I will fast-forward the remaining few episodes just so I can complete it anyway. I am a fast reader and have no problem following subtitles at 2x speed, so I still get the gist of what happened. I do this specifically for shit anime that I want to know the ending anyway, just to see if it is indeed the shit that I expected (and 100% of the time it is).

γ€Œ I am forever your most devoted believer. 」

Aug 16, 2016 2:39 AM

Jul 2015
yes , i did that with a lot of cgdct anime (Shirobako/GochiUsa ....)
is not for me , im searching for action and gore not anime without a plot
Aug 16, 2016 2:43 AM

Dec 2014
I only add to drop if more than 4 episodes watched
Aug 16, 2016 2:43 AM

Nov 2009
Bobby2Hands said:
I don't add stuff to my list that I dropped after just one episode but I understand why people would do that.
I don't understand why people drop movies. It's like 70-120 minutes, you can make it through, no matter how terrible it is.

Would you be able to make it through even 30 minutes of ero-guro?
I didn't make it through the first episode of Wagamote. Not because it was bad as a work of art, but because it was too painful to watch.
Aug 16, 2016 2:48 AM

Jul 2013
I dropped Zetsuen no Tempest after five eps and deleted it from my computer. Left it one year in dropped list, then curiosity took over, downloaded it back to watch when I was bored, and after seven episodes, I was badly hooked. Now rated a nine in my list.

I won't blame you if you think a show isn't for you at first ep (most non-intellectual shows are easely predictable). But you may overlook some great ones that got a clumsy start.

If I added every show I dropped at first ep, my dropped list would be bigger than the completed one.
Aug 16, 2016 2:53 AM

Oct 2014
Calal-Chan said:
I clearly drop a lot, but I usually give something at least 1 episode, and even then I should have given them more time. Five min however isn't enough to know if you like or dislike something. Dropping something that fast is just low attention span.
I wouldn't call it low attention span. After I dropped it I went on to try Kill la Kill and watched two episodes. Kill la Kill hooked me because the first bit does its best to introduce the characters and the story in order to hook the viewer. Attack on Titan just shows a bunch of shit happening and expects the viewer to find it "epic" or some shit like that. It reminds me of when film companies add their film trailers on Youtube as pre-video ads and somehow forget that people are allowed to skip after 5 seconds so they neglect to remove the first 5 seconds of filler. I'm allowed to drop after 5 minutes so if literally nothing has happened in that time then I may as well. If they can't even do that part right why should I expect the rest to be any good?
Aug 16, 2016 3:00 AM

May 2015
Yes.
Dropped Hellsing Ultimate 20 mins in. Was boring as shit, action wasn't appealing, no character was interesting, I didn't care about it.
If you randomly picked up something and you're not interested at all, drop it if you want. Doesn't matter when.
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Aug 16, 2016 3:03 AM

Mar 2016
Well i did it too i dropped ef: a tale of memories in about 10 min of run time, i knew it wasn't made for my taste it felt like rumbling hearts so i guess things like these happen..
If its not a harem im not interested.....πŸ˜‘πŸ˜‘πŸ˜‘
Aug 16, 2016 3:03 AM

Jul 2015
Dropped Highschool DxD halfway through first episode, marked it as one episode and in dropped list. Shows I tried imo.
Aug 16, 2016 3:04 AM

Dec 2015
flannan said:
Bobby2Hands said:

Would you be able to make it through even 30 minutes of ero-guro?
I didn't make it through the first episode of Wagamote. Not because it was bad as a work of art, but because it was too painful to watch.

Well I managed to make it through the whole of Adam Sandler's Jack and Jill, so a little ero-guro should be no problem.
Aug 16, 2016 3:26 AM

Jul 2013
zombie_pegasus said:
Calal-Chan said:
I wouldn't call it low attention span. After I dropped it I went on to try Kill la Kill and watched two episodes. Kill la Kill hooked me because the first bit does its best to introduce the characters and the story in order to hook the viewer. Attack on Titan just shows a bunch of shit happening and expects the viewer to find it "epic" or some shit like that. It reminds me of when film companies add their film trailers on Youtube as pre-video ads and somehow forget that people are allowed to skip after 5 seconds so they neglect to remove the first 5 seconds of filler. I'm allowed to drop after 5 minutes so if literally nothing has happened in that time then I may as well. If they can't even do that part right why should I expect the rest to be any good?

Personally I am gonna stand buy my low attention span statement. Because Kill la Kill kind of does what Attack on Titan first does just in a more "comedic" manor. I mean literally the first 5 min of the show are a cool looking action scene and then a cool zoom out of the school Oh and a bit of talking about German Socialist powers. Nothing really happened in these 5 min. Oh and the start of a petty theft type thing. Honestly everyone likes different things but bringing up Kill la Kill when they basically do the same thing in the first 5 min was kind of a bit silly.

I'm not saying attack on titan would hook you because if were being honest its mostly just fantastic animation with cool fights, but based off the first 5 min of Kill la Kill and Attack on Titan. They both say almost nothing about there said show. Once again we all like what we like, but 5 min isn't enough for almost any show.
Aug 16, 2016 3:26 AM

Oct 2015
I've never dropped out during an episode and I never rate an anime I haven't seen at least halfway through. I wish we had a 'do not want' list, though.
Aug 16, 2016 3:45 AM

Aug 2015
The only time when i add thing to my drop list is when i already added it to my watching list, I'll move it to my dropped list.

Do you only add anime to your dropped list after you've seen a certain amount?

if it isn't current airing, i only add it when finished watching.

Have you rated any anime in your dropped list that you've seen less than 1/5 of?

I dont rate dropped anime

Have you ever dropped an anime more than halfway through?

Attack on trainwreck

Do you even drop anime?

Yes

What do you think about people who drop anime movies or put popular anime in their dropped list that they haven't seen much of?

Well they can't bear to watch it, so it can be help.
Aug 16, 2016 3:58 AM
May 2009
If I drop it I drop it into my dropped list.

A few of the shows (Older Ones) I have on my watch list are on Hiatus (watched half and stopped) Plan to finish them off one day.

Not sure when that day will be.
Aug 16, 2016 4:44 AM

Sep 2015
If I watch less than an episode I don't add it usually. If I watch one, I sometimes add it to my drop list. Any more than that and I'll add it. I usually drop anime that are 5/10 or lower
Aug 16, 2016 4:46 AM
Aug 2015
What fucking anime do you watch that are entertaining from their very first 5 minutes what the fuck
Aug 16, 2016 4:46 AM

Jul 2015
I drop shows.. I don't put them on my list though. It's like I've never actually seen an episode of it. Call it an annulment lol

Aug 16, 2016 4:48 AM
Aug 2015
kingfroggy said:
-overrated anime which is normal to have Huuge expections (fmab) and again fuk me up with childish behaviors.. (Because it tries to be mature but 100% fails.. i resisted until ep 43 so fma fans, u can t say anything)

I have personally not given up on it yet. 34 episodes in since last year and I'm trying to find the motivation to finish it. IT'S SO FUCKING BORINGGGGGGG.
Aug 16, 2016 4:49 AM

Feb 2013
zombie_pegasus said:
I recently added Attack on Titan to my dropped list after seeing the first 5 minutes and realizing that I wouldn't enjoy it.

It happened to me wit HOTD, it's in my dropped list even tho only watched like 3 minutes xD I don't regret It ~

Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Criticism You Don't Understand.

Alpha_1_Zero - 8 hours ago

15 by Spunkert »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » do you want more emotional or more intelligent anime?

deg - Yesterday

42 by Maou_heika »»
10 minutes ago

» What anime brought you to watch more anime? :)

Rinrinka - Yesterday

32 by 41413 »»
11 minutes ago

» Would you rather watch Anime blind or deaf?

Dragevard - 6 hours ago

16 by 41413 »»
14 minutes ago

» Anime that you started watching because of Social Media

ST63LTH - 1 hour ago

11 by Spunkert »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.