Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Nov 15, 2014 5:04 AM

Jan 2014
Damn, Idepon + 2D vs 3D argument? This episode is amazing.
Darstorm-Sandude said:
so many cheezy lines - it can't just be a coincidence that my stomach hurt after watching that episode

Looks like the art took a hit: some of the characters weren't drawn as crisp and detailed as before

and then there was that silent expolsion scene with little background colour before the ED that was just awkward coming after the production desk scene at the end

cringe when Endou and Shimoyanagi were talking outside the office after Endou drew all the key frames and stuff the night before
They both blushed during the conversation. What is this, yaoi? Endou's already married.

1/5 bleh worst episode of this anime series so far

Was about to reply on how ignorant you are, but then I saw your signature. Yeah carry along shounen~
Don't attribute maliciousness when stupidity is enough to explain what happens
Nov 15, 2014 7:51 AM

Dec 2013
As much as I give Miyamori props for dealing with the problem and managing to convince Endou to return to the production team, I really can't stand the fact that the cancer Tarou is STILL on the production team. After all is said an done, the dude has done absolutely NOTHING to convince me of his value to the production team at all.

He's a cancer and a major liability. Once this issue was solved, Honda-san should demote him to working for Okitsu-san. Her with her no-nonsense approach would be enough to either stop him from messing up ever again, or convince everyone else that he ain't cut out for the job.

I'm really glad that Endou's starting to change his mind about CG vs Traditional Animation. I too agree that traditional animators, with their experience and know-how, would make really top-grade CG artists as well.
HESTIAAPPROVES
Nov 15, 2014 9:08 AM

Jun 2014
DreamingBeats said:
ramenshojo said:
In fact, would someone be kind enough as to .gif the CG and key frame sequences side by side? Pretty please..

Here you go. The quality is bad because gif is already an inferior format.

CG

Keyframe

Waaaaaay! Thanks <3 *Right click > Save

Looking at them again makes me think the 3D is more realistic. But the 2D looks very stylish and over the top, especially with the whirling flames towards the end.
If I had to choose in this case, I would go with hand-drawn. The 3D effects are too realistic, the end result is a smokescreen and a live action feel which doesn't seem right for anime.

One thing that surprised me is how the directors specific instructions got disregarded due to circumstance. I wonder how often this kind of thing happens.
Nov 15, 2014 9:24 AM

Jan 2013
Nice explosion animation. Good episode, the issue was resolved.
Nov 15, 2014 10:12 AM
▬▬ι═══════ﺤ

Feb 2012
Alls well that ends well. You can learn a lot from someone you disagree with sometimes. ^^
"Be the change you wish to see in the world." ⛩️

Nov 15, 2014 12:27 PM

Oct 2014
Now that I know what to expect from this series, I think that the pacing fits it just fine. I'm really enjoying this show, which surprised me a bit.
Nov 16, 2014 12:44 AM

Dec 2010
This was a great episode. It reminded me of Bakuman a bit which also really inspired me a lot. So its nice to have some of that feeling back, just like the characters discovering their love for Idepon.

This is definitely a moe/slice of life series, but its not like any I've seen before, and that adds to its charm.

Plus this episode had some nice music!
Nov 16, 2014 3:12 AM

Aug 2014
I wouldn't be surprised if Aoi suddenly died in this anime due to work exhaustion. Her work is tough as it is, and Tarou made it worst.

At least Tarou made those 2 work together, even though it was Tarou who started it.

What's worst is that there are actually people like Tarou actually exist. Met someone like him once, and got stuck with him for 2 years. If only I wasn't new at that time, I'd beat the crap out of him.

Well, this anime pretty much describes how works are in Japan. It's pretty much known that Japan has a lot of workaholics there. This'll warn people who wants to live and work there, gotta know what they're facing first xD
Nov 16, 2014 4:01 AM

May 2010
Takanashi is an idiot, realistically annoying.

Kantoku learned his lesson.

Glad Endou is motivated now, dat conversation really helped. Miyamori is how a assitant should be, looove her.

We have the ultimate BROTP here.

Dat Endou ver at the end was pure awesomeness. Great episode.
Nov 16, 2014 9:15 AM

Jul 2013
looks like we're having ema on the spotlight next episode.
Nov 16, 2014 1:34 PM

May 2012
Haha. Honda put a barb wire on top in order that the director cant escape.
Loving all the episodes so far.
Nov 16, 2014 3:38 PM

Jul 2014
Lol beautiful animations~ Another decent episode~
Nov 18, 2014 1:47 AM
May 2008
I believe they can't fire people in japan once they hire them, that's why annoying skunk head is still working there. They usually transfer them away or put them into some room to get them to leave. This might be part of the reason why the economy is so bad there though..

http://www.businessinsider.com/firing-taboo-in-japan-2013-9
Nov 18, 2014 4:06 AM

Dec 2012
Very nice episode~ Idepon Miyamori saved the day~!
It was very refreshing to see them working out the problems
Nov 18, 2014 9:26 AM
Jul 2018
I still feel a lot more people need to discover this anime.
It's not great but it's interesting, smart and different from we're used to.
I'm glad Endou-san got over his problems. Troublesome guy he was (I know it was mainly Tarou's fault but what a pain Endou was in the last 3 episodes or so).
Go Shizuka! You'll be an amazing voice actress! :)
Nov 18, 2014 10:12 PM

Oct 2012
The preview for Episode 7 has been posted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=GDj4AsG0pJA
okanaganNov 18, 2014 11:49 PM
Nov 20, 2014 6:44 AM

Nov 2011
5/5

As with any choice in real life, you come to the compromise that is desirable when the skill is not close to perfection.
Small fragment of SOL fun and interesting for those who only want to see the finished product, but it goes further.
Drawings and animations good as usual.
The characters accumulate even more characterization in this sixth episode, I like.
terrablu2003Nov 20, 2014 6:47 AM
Nov 24, 2014 12:00 AM

Apr 2011
Glad to see those two got along.

Idepon Miyamori. I like the sound of that.
Dec 3, 2014 10:43 AM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
Segawa has nice curves and great body.

Miyamori sure loves racing. She could work as a race car driver if she wanted to.

For a second this guy looked like the glasses guy from NHK.

Nice to see Endou make up with Hotta, but omg, Takanashi blondie is so annoying. Taking credit for Endou's work. The guy didn't even do anything, Endou chose to do those cuts.

Dec 9, 2014 6:20 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I hope that the Space Runaway Ideon films can now get a BD release after this :-) A whole episode remembering love for Ideon was amazing to watch. The bromance was strong as a result of it too.

I'm happy to see I'm not the only one wanting to see more of Segawa-san. What a professional and what a woman.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jan 4, 2015 11:06 AM

Jan 2011
Great episode!
I never expected any real plot in this, but it's pretty damn good if you ask me.
SweetKotomi said:
Segawa has nice curves and great body.

- SNIP IMG -

Miyamori sure loves racing. She could work as a race car driver if she wanted to.

For a second this guy looked like the glasses guy from NHK.

- SNIP IMG -

Nice to see Endou make up with Hotta, but omg, Takanashi blondie is so annoying. Taking credit for Endou's work. The guy didn't even do anything, Endou chose to do those cuts.

You shouldn't be paying attention to those things in this show! ヽ(゚Д゚)ノ
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
Jan 31, 2015 5:03 PM

Oct 2012
Good episode, they managed to do well. Many highlights:

- debate on future of 2D anime
- Zuka and Waiting for Godot
- CG car chase
- Idepon changed oldchool chara design
- Exodus building banner
- Arupin keyframe explosion

Segawa-san really saved the day this time but it seems it was all Takahashi's fault of middle man. Endou and were actually getting along Shimoyanagi just fine without him. And we got another hint on Miyamori being good person for her future producer position.

Again, this series is great in that it tries to show production process in funny, dramatic and also interesting way.

Now I wonder if Ochiai's foreshadowing to leave the company was red herring or not (and to Canaan, lol :D)
Mar 25, 2015 11:26 PM

Oct 2012
Oh, Initial D again xD

So.. Basically Idepon is Illuminati? xD

Aww, I like how they showed us the hand-drawn explosions at the end

Director is free!! xD
"Signature removed"
Apr 7, 2015 4:15 AM
May 2012
I am glad the issue is over.
2D with some 3D can work. Bromance for the win!!
Apr 12, 2015 9:44 PM

Jan 2009
that is right 3D animation needs some artistic sense too, so 2D animators like Endou can learn 3D animation easily and that will increase the jobs that he can do
Apr 20, 2015 8:16 PM

Sep 2013
2D or 3D waifu?
Apr 27, 2015 8:07 AM

May 2012
I'm not a fan of CGI usage in anime but those explosions sure weren't bad! That key animation though!
Jun 23, 2015 9:15 PM

Aug 2013
Brilliant key-animation (sakuga) by Endou. In comparison to the the 3D cut done by Shimonayagi's team; I would say Endou nailed it completely and got it done in one night alone.

Finally the director snapped out of it. I wonder how he made it over the cage running off fried chicken while being deprived of sleep lol.

I love how Mii-chan got some focus in the midst of the key-animation vs CG argument.

Great episode.
BiserJul 5, 2015 9:17 PM
Jul 21, 2015 2:53 AM

Mar 2012
different said:
I believe they can't fire people in japan once they hire them, that's why annoying skunk head is still working there. They usually transfer them away or put them into some room to get them to leave. This might be part of the reason why the economy is so bad there though..

http://www.businessinsider.com/firing-taboo-in-japan-2013-9

That would explain why those idiots still have a job.
Aug 2, 2015 5:31 PM

Feb 2008
Farabeuf said:
I hope that the Space Runaway Ideon films can now get a BD release after this :-)

Late reply is late haha, but there already are BDs for the Ideon movies (dating maybe 3 or 4 years since your post). Even the show is available on BD, but it's not ripped yet.

Probably my favorite episode because of the Ideon bit. I really liked that two characters were inspired by something really iconic. I also loved how they played the OP and ED during the Ideon conversation. Well, not the actual songs, but songs really resembling them.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Aug 27, 2015 11:56 AM

Jul 2014
I personally think this was the best episode so far.
It was .awesome seeing Endou and Shimoyanagi nerd out about their passions. This was all about returning to your roots...revisiting the inspiration that started it all. It's essential when you embark on a long path, especially when times get rough and you begin to question your passions.
Very inspiring episode!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 2, 2015 12:29 PM

Jun 2009
OwaruSekai said:
A P.A. Works anime is probably the last place I thought I'd see a reference to an existentialistic European absurdist play from the fifties.

"All right. Let's die"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waiting_for_Godot

i'm not surprised, japan is obsessed with france.
Sep 13, 2015 2:56 PM

Jun 2014
As for me, to be honest, I find this series very challenging to watch. There are
so many characters, and it seems overwhelming to keep track of their names,
their job titles, and what in fact they actually do. So I can't even attempt to
watch an episode unless I am wide awake and keeping my eyes continuously
focused on the screen.

Sono Toori da!!!!
Moreover, I don't feel an ounce of attachment to any character after six episodes!
Sep 15, 2015 12:09 AM

May 2014
GrimorumInvoke said:
Moreover, I don't feel an ounce of attachment to any character after six episodes!

I'd say I'm feeling some attachment to Miyamori and hoping for the overall success of the studio.

I personally really enjoy the atmosphere of the show. While I don't have any great attachment to most of the characters, I do enjoy watching the problems and progression.
Nov 30, 2015 9:44 AM

Apr 2015
A quarter through a marathon run.

God, they didn't put a foot wrong, didn't they.
Apr 3, 2016 6:14 PM

Nov 2015
I knew the final result would be 2D and 3D working together! Another great result!
I really liked how the entire discussion about 2D and 3D anime was being managed in this 2 episodes and how they end you helping each other.

Ohhh, Akibahara...
This is the choice of Idepon!!
Apr 14, 2016 9:25 PM

Jul 2012
I wish Tarou would just tape his mouth shut, but I guess his ignorance of Idepon helped with the bromance between Endou and Shimoyanagi haha.

And apparently, Tarou is based on the director of Shirobako when he was younger.

He even apologizes about it hahaha.
Jun 6, 2016 4:58 AM

Mar 2015
Friendship confirmed!!
I dont like Endou idea to support 3D though.

Which is better, Shirobako or Bakuman?
For now, Bakuman.

3.2/5
Jun 14, 2016 5:31 PM
Feb 2015
It's nice to actually see the keyframes at the end
Jun 15, 2016 10:23 PM

Sep 2015
I thought it was pretty crazy that the play Zuka went to sit in on was Waiting for Godot. Theater lady even tied it into her helpful life advice. With all the scenes like this with older people and our main girls I feel like this moe ass show is trying to ease NEETs into the job world.

I thought there were a lot of solid character moments in this episode, including the Producer ceding the temperature to the Director when he returned. Their whole exchange was really nice considering all most people have done is mock the Director so far. I liked that he returned to Honda and that Honda put up barbed wire.

I also really enjoyed 2D and 3D man putting aside their differences because they fell in love with the same mecha anime as kids. The recurring bit of them angrily shutting down Taro was great too.

The ending showing of the explosion scene just really drove home for me how the fake anime within the show looks at least from an animation stand point pretty damn good too.
Jul 15, 2016 12:02 AM

Aug 2012
Thoughts while watching the episode:
-Alright everything is falling apart quite gloriously
-Alright I remember why I hate this show now. Like the only battle in that listing I actually knew anything about was Omaha Beach
-Actually with Berserk 2016 being a thing this little subplot is pretty relevant
-Tarou's got some great comedic timing
-The conversation with Misa was actually a lot more heartfelt than expected
-Actually I don't think I've hated any scenes with the girls from the high school animation club
-Wow there's a reference I actually get and it's a Japanese adaptation of foreign literature
-Huh, the whole Waiting for Godot segment (and the Shizuka segment by extension) was actually pretty masterfully done
-Wait did Honda actually put barbed wire on the director's cell
-The font on the Idepon ticket is exactly like the one on the Ideon page so at least I caught that reference
-I'm actually sensing a common theme within this episode, in stark contrast to the previous episodes
-"Space Exodus Idepon" there is no way this isn't an Ideon reference
-The scene at the Idepon exhibit might have made more of an impact on me if I actually watched it and not just read a plot summary off of wikipedia or something but I had barely enough context to work off of
-It was kinda interesting how Tarou (and Aoi) was actually the one that got Endou and Shimoyanagi talking about Idepon
-However I still don't know the names of like half the MusAni staff
-Director steals the show again in the stinger

I hate to admit it but this episode was pretty enjoyable, and it would be more enjoyable if I knew more of what the fuck they were talking about.

I would also have liked the episodes from the beginning to have this type of a focus on the characters rather than throwing you into the goddamn middle of absolutely everything.

Best episode so far
ThreePercentJul 15, 2016 12:08 AM
Sep 11, 2016 10:13 PM

Sep 2013
The 2D and 3D guys looked a lot alike. I had trouble figuring out which one was which at times. I almost wonder if the character designs for these two were made similar on purpose to represent the similarities in the 2 characters' passions for their own chosen art styles.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Sep 22, 2016 9:50 AM

Jun 2016
A lovely and heart-warming ep. I wonder what 'Idepon' is a spoof of - it reminded me of TTGL, but TTGL would be too recent to inspire those two..

Tarou is so easy to hate. Props to Aoi for not going crazy.
ArachnophobicSep 22, 2016 10:37 AM
Oct 10, 2016 3:31 PM

Feb 2012
Arachnophobic said:
A lovely and heart-warming ep. I wonder what 'Idepon' is a spoof of - it reminded me of TTGL, but TTGL would be too recent to inspire those two..

Tarou is so easy to hate. Props to Aoi for not going crazy.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/930/Densetsu_Kyojin_Ideon, except Idepons' all white.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Oct 10, 2016 3:33 PM

Feb 2012
Haha oldschool Otaku Endou and Shimoyanagi correcting newbie Tarou Takanashi.

Love the change in artstyle when they talk passionately about Idepon.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Jan 27, 2017 12:04 PM

Aug 2014
Damn Endou and the 3D guy surely had alot in common lol.
Apr 9, 2017 3:52 PM

May 2010
Aww, they found connection in their passion and love for anime, how awesome is that ;_;
Oct 4, 2017 12:36 AM

Sep 2015
Glad to see that the conflict ended, too bad waifu wars and shipping wars by us fellow anime fans will never most of the time come to an understanding like this.
Jan 10, 2018 8:52 AM

Apr 2015
Don't worry, Aoi...there will always be people around to defend hand-drawn animation.

I have hope that restaurant girl will get an anime job soon.

It's nice that the key animation and the 3D guy managed to come to a compromise.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Dec 26, 2018 1:08 AM

Aug 2015
>I'm a pessimist, so I have no doubt that first bad human made CG, then bad A.I. generated CG will take over anime.

> Endou is a real diva. I guess anime is an industry where no one gets fired for pulling this

>unexpected Waiting for Godot reference = top shelf anime

>it's weird how Waiting for Godot can be namedropped but Urusei Yatsura Beautiful Dreamer becomes "Beauty Dreamer"

Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Does Shirobako get any better?

terryacer - May 7, 2018

26 by oooo3333 »»
Mar 25, 1:49 PM

Poll: » Shirobako Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 26, 2015

286 by oooo3333 »»
Mar 25, 1:36 PM

Poll: » Shirobako Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 6, 2014

138 by MajedM1999 »»
Mar 12, 2:17 PM

Poll: » Shirobako Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 30, 2014

115 by MajedM1999 »»
Mar 11, 3:47 AM

Poll: » Shirobako Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 16, 2014

165 by MajedM1999 »»
Mar 6, 2:57 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.