Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 2, 2009 8:17 PM

Feb 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Great entertainment. Although it didn't follow in its predecessor's footsteps it continues with the theme, and I found the whole OVA rather enjoyable and entertaining. Oh and I simply loved the visuals. What I found a bit lacking was the development of the main guys and the fact that this time around the direction is a bit confusing.
BourskDec 20, 2009 10:26 PM
Dec 29, 2009 2:03 PM

Feb 2009
Why were all 3 of these OVAs combined into only 1 entry? This wasn't a TV series with 3 episodes, they are 3 separate releases. Part II is much better than parts I and III, and it deserves to be rated as such.
Feb 6, 2010 2:28 PM
Dec 2008
Posting here for the same reason as betamax: the Megazone sequels are completely different projects and each movie should really be looked at separately, especially because they vary wildly in quality. If anything, they should be separated again because people deserve to be warned about Part III.
Jun 19, 2010 9:13 AM

Jun 2009
betamax said:
Why were all 3 of these OVAs combined into only 1 entry? This wasn't a TV series with 3 episodes, they are 3 separate releases. Part II is much better than parts I and III, and it deserves to be rated as such.

Gonna disagree here, I found part 1 to be much better than 2
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jun 19, 2010 9:44 AM

Feb 2009
insan3soldiern said:
betamax said:

Part I is the best of the three, it kinda goes downhill, so III would be the worst.
Jun 20, 2010 11:58 AM

Jun 2009
Veethorn said:
insan3soldiern said:
betamax said:

Part I is the best of the three, it kinda goes downhill, so III would be the worst.

After just finishing part 3, I agree.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Sep 4, 2010 2:00 PM

Sep 2008
OMG! What did they do the the gorgeous character designs?

How did this beauty turn into that mediocrity?

Sep 22, 2010 8:07 AM

Apr 2009
Good God this episode sucks hard. Episode 1 was WAY better. character designs went to crap, story is a bunch of nonsense urghhhhhhhhhhh

totally not watching part 3
Sep 26, 2010 1:03 PM
Jun 2008
it was fun to watch but way too many plot hole and lack of devleopment
the gore was awesome.
i also cant see how the new atmosphere they showed fit, i can understand the whole slum idea but its done poorly.
Dec 16, 2010 7:52 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
The administrators should totally separate this entry into 3 parts. Megazone 23 is actually 3 separate projects with different directors albeit they are part of the narrative universe.

Although episode 3 (which is actually a 2 part OVA) is the weakest of the 3, it still manages to close the story nicely and fill in some loose ends.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jan 9, 2011 12:22 PM

Feb 2009
The only good thing about episode three is that it offered a much needed final. Other than that, the characters are as interesting as watching grass grow and the story isnt that good. Even the visuals look somewhat inferior.
Jun 16, 2012 4:19 PM
Dec 2010
Just finished this episode and i ahve to i say i expected this anime to be some cheap shounen show where boy got speaking bike that can ran as fast as wind but nothing else....
Im very nicely surprised by all of that so far.
I just didn't like change of characters all of sudden.

For now, i'm heading for part III but I noticed that there are not main characters from prequels at all wth, were creators constantly dissatisfied with characters so they 1st remade them and then even got rid of them ? :O
( Currently interested in OP MC genre. Recommendations are welcomed, preferable those yet not on my list )
Aug 24, 2012 2:17 PM

Apr 2009
Apparently six months have passed since the ending of the first episode...who the hell are these people?!! I don't recognize any of them, not one bit from episode 1! o_O Maybe the art team and director has changed for this episode as the synopsis here in MAL says, and though I appreciate the art upgrade, I think there was nothing wrong with the ones back in the first episode. That's Yui? And that's Shogo? I know he's supposed to be a fugitive and some of the changes in his facial characteristics might be in necessary so that he can appear in public even briefly but come on, he might as well be a new character! X( Even BD has a blue hair now!

Dropping your plastic sunglasses in front of the chasing cops must have been cool back in the 80's eh? XD The punks here are actually more competent than the police or even the military. x_X And the enemies? Who the hell are they anyway? Aliens? Humans?

It was a happy ending nonetheless, returning to Earth after 500 years. I don't get it that BD had to leave (or possibly die) in the end even if the new age doesn't suit a guy like him as he thinks. I say he's just a coward, shame on you BD!

Anyway the sex scenes were actually great with the improved art but the rest were just uhmm...crap, IMHO. The best scene (aside from the sex scenes, of course! LOL) is...

Stick it to the man!

My eyes were about to pop from their own sockets from the constant eye popping and rolling. O_O @_@ The first episode was tolerable for me that I can still willingly suspend my disbelief but I find myself questioning how I managed to do that when this just become tad ludicrous as I was seeing all of it. Oh well whatever. 5/10

Reading from the posts here, I might have to prepare to gouge my eyes out after watching the next and last two-part episode (episodes 3 and 4 as MAL treats it). >_<
tofeiNov 19, 2012 6:16 PM
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Oct 19, 2013 1:04 AM

Mar 2010
Dump might be my new favorite character.
Dec 19, 2013 5:04 PM

Jun 2010
Lots of great animation, lots of ambition, lots of genuine feeling...and it doesn't make very much sense.

Very '80s.
Jun 12, 2015 12:30 AM

Feb 2008
Awful follow up of the first movie, sometimes felt pretty random, especially the whole part where bikers destroy helicopters, mechs and survive rapid anti-tank fire.

And it was kinda funny to see the designs done by a hentai artist. Old people really looked like some rapists from hentai OVAs.

But the most bizarre part was the last scene, where the ship got destroyed. You could see that most of the Heineken budget went into that area. A shame to see it here, since it could have been used in a disaster movie (imagine Tokyo Magnitude with that animation)

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Apr 18, 2016 5:42 PM

Jul 2010
Absolutely terrible episode, it's like with this new animation they took out every personality it previously had, hell same with the characters and especially Yui, great look and personality in the first part but here she is just bland and boring. The ONLY thing I liked about this part was when the parasites attacked in space, that sequence was pretty cool but other than that...
betamax said:

Don't agree at all, part I is by far the best (though still have 2 more parts to see).
Jun 6, 2016 5:52 PM

Feb 2012
Fronzel said:
Lots of great animation, lots of ambition, lots of genuine feeling...and it doesn't make very much sense.

Very '80s.

Well, I think this is the best description of Megazone 23 i have read in a long time. I love this animation (specially the visuals), but I wont pretend that this is the most coherent story out there. Aniway, this OVA is the epitome of the 80s animation with its highs and lows, its a classic because of that.
Jun 25, 2016 10:09 AM

Dec 2015
Shocking chara-design discontinuity: the drawings are nice, very detailed sometimes but there was no need to replace Mikimoto's original chara-design with those new ones. You could change the art style and still have the characters look like their old self (check Amuro and Char from Gundam, no matter who the designer is, they are always recognizable).

Very light content... : it provides a little but needed conclusion to the first OAV. A very sad one by the way, I wasn't expecting only the hero, his girlfriend and the bosozoku to colonize the rejuvenated Earth. (btw, the gang members were magically healed and saved from destruction right before the landing)

... dilute in an immature lurid mess: it clearly gave me the impression to use the need for an end to provide only bloody action, sexual excitement, and a 90min alcohol and cigarettes promotion. Far too long for what it had to say, it filled its duration with "provocative" emptiness. It tried so hard to look adult that it made it a lot more juvenile than the original.

Also, those constant zoom-in on Heineken, Budweiser, Marlboro were excessively annoying. Sponsors shots were not so insisting in the first installment.

Still, although the obviously thin material is stretched to full-length, it brings a needed conclusion to the first OAV.

Megazone 23 Part.II
Enjoyment: 1.5/5 (only because of the conclusion provided)
Score: 5/10 (but since I must give a global note due to MAL classification: 7/10 for both)

@St0rmblade Sorry about that Gundam comparison. Can't help myself, I guess. XD
I don't know why I was always thinking of Oobari for this part... The charadesigner at work here is Umetsu (probably taking part in the actual animation too), whose style you'll notice easily if you risk yourself further in the golden era of OAVs. For the later parts, Kitazume assumed the role. (hey, when I talked about CCA, I must had some premonition...)

PS: Thanks for Anno's work. This guy was so lucky to take a (small) part in all those productions ! (quite sad that he doesn't draw anymore)

St0rmblade said:
now that you mentioned old OVAs

How dare you write "old" ?! XD
Rei_IIIDec 21, 2020 7:53 PM
Apr 9, 2017 1:43 AM

Jun 2009
If you don't think, this was very enjoyable. I can understand the differences in character designs since they're fugitives and don't want to be found out.
And maybe Shougo was already in the bike gang? Dumpi was amazing I loved every scene with her. She's a tank!

All in all this was a great Budweiser and Heineken ad!
Nov 22, 2017 6:47 PM

Nov 2017
Just finished watching this for the first time in about 15 years. Wow. Far superior to Part I (which is great, too). The budget animation is obvious in many shots, but there are definitely some outstanding animation shots sprinkled throughout- the best being the end bit set to 80s JPop. The overall art direction and mechanical designs are pretty ace, too. The scene with Shogo and Eve before the ending was also quite fascinating, and did a lot to expand the universe and themes of Megazone 23.

I'm a little nervous about watching Part 3 next. I remember not liking it at all.
Jan 13, 2018 4:10 AM

Apr 2011
TiamatNM said:
Good God this episode sucks hard. Episode 1 was WAY better. character designs went to crap, story is a bunch of nonsense urghhhhhhhhhhh

totally not watching part 3

I SECOND THIS.
I swear. The conclusion was decent enough but... the entire 2nd ova was terribad.
And wtf was up with that sex scene?
It was verging on hentai. No thanks. At least the first ova was tasteful about it.
Ericonator said:
By definition, everything is retro since by the time you realize something has happened it's already in the past.
Feb 5, 2019 3:10 AM
Oct 2018
This is one of the coolest 80s ovas I have ever seen in my life, definitely much better than part 1.
Jun 19, 2019 8:38 PM

Mar 2016
The only thing that makes sense is that they changed their appearance when they joined this biker gang...design differences aside the art is incredible. In terms of pure spectacle and mechanical design I'd say this episode/movie(?) is stronger compared to the first, but it lacks feeling, and basically flushed the characterization from the first installment down the toilet. So, first part was a much better experience definitely. Basically all this has going for it is pure 80s 'fuck you!' These assholes would let the world burn as long as they have their idol music...wait.

Anime has always had that 'the adults have fucked up let's have the kids take over' theme. But I have never seen it done so obviously, and strangely, before. The irony being that Shougo had to selfishly fight to get his way, just like the adults he hates so much. It's also pretty telling that the adults he does look up to are characters in movies. I guess this was relatable to the youth of the era (not that they'd spend the money to own this back then). Not sure what the moral is here, but it was a hell of a ride.

Had some fun watching the bikers get slaughtered, too bad they were the 'good guys' and came back to life or whatever.

Would appreciate it if people wouldn't take about the third part in this discussion. Let me discover this shit out for myself, geez.
syncrogazerJun 19, 2019 8:49 PM
Aug 30, 2019 5:31 PM

Feb 2012
Have I got it right that they based the backgrounds of the city on real life Tokyo? If that's so, it explains why the backgrounds look so similar to the first OVA even though the characters do not.

Now there are more bikers than just Shogo and his two friends that volunteered for the military last episode, Im getting full on Akira vibes.

So they not only changed Shogo's name to Johnny but Yui to....Sue?

Toast to the beer bringer!

They've been travelling on the back of a motorcycle, of course they'd be shaken up.

Silverhawks and now Thundercats pinball, really hammering down the simulated 80s aesthetic.

Eve is my favourite character here. Her design just keeps my eyes locked, lips lighter than her skin.

Really like her Morpheus-esque interaction with Johnny/Shogo.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Feb 7, 2020 11:13 AM

Mar 2017
Whilst I did prefer the first instalment, this was still very enjoyable.

But then it's hard for me to dislike any movie if it's got 80s written all over it xD

Fronzel said:

Very '80s.

Love this =)
Aug 11, 2020 1:50 PM

Aug 2017
What a change in designs, wow...Can't say I dislike them though, they're extremely stylish, and the biker gang was very Akira-ish, as well as those flying things with machine guns.

This part was simpler in terms of story than the first one, but I still enjoyed it - badass action and sountrack, all just screams 80s. What's not to love? Minor animation mistakes don't matter. I expected it to be vastly different from the first part (which had better characterization) so I ended up being less surprised than I could've.

The ending was strange though. And Shougo's friends somehow managed to stay alive despite most of them being shot by a minigun inside the city that seemed to be completely destroyed...lol. They'd be better off dead. Especially that blue-haired girl Rayna after her stylish middle finger to the soldier. It'd be a cool death.

Shocking chara-design discontinuity: the drawings are nice, very detailed sometimes but there was no need to replace Mikimoto's original chara-design with those new ones. You could change the art style and still have the characters look like their old self (check Amuro and Char from Gundam, no matter who the designer is, they are always recognizable).

Agreed. I'm curious to know the details behind this OVA's production now.

Rei_III said:

The charadesigner at work here is Umetsu (probably taking part in the actual animation too), whose style you'll notice easily if you risk yourself further in the golden era of OAVs.

I've seen a trailer of A Kite somewhere so I'll risk it at some point xD Nonetheless, his style really felt familiar, now that you mentioned old OVAs, I remember that Umetsu was the character designer and director in one of the shorts from Robot Carnival. He has a distinct style indeed.
St0rmbladeAug 11, 2020 2:45 PM
Oct 7, 2020 1:58 PM

Oct 2010
they destroyed everything that was done in the first OVA, i don't recognize this as a sequel. The animation and art is 10/10 though
I rated the first 9, this one would be a 7 but because of MAL I'll keep it at 9, can't wait to see part 3, let's see if I survive
Aug 27, 2021 4:22 PM

Nov 2016
This gotta be the first time where I ended up being disappointed despite great character designs and production value. Just wish we would've gotten this for a different OVA.

Was still nice to watch for the action, the gore, the music and the happy ending.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 20, 2022 10:27 PM
Jan 2021
I couldn't follow this one at all. I didn't even realize that purple haired guy was supposed to be the same antagonist from the first part (BD?). I honestly had no idea until the very end it was him. Yeah I echo what others have said, why did they change the designs entirely? It just made this feel totally unconnected to the first.

But even beyond that when stuff was getting destroyed I couldn't tell if it was their ship, the other human colonists' ship (which I thought they were fighting but that thread got muddled, I have no idea what happened with that), and then something about the moon. So I had to watch the end twice, so I gather Adam is the name of Earth's moon which was weaponized to judge if humans deserved to repopulate Earth when they returned some day. Judging by how it blew everything up I'm guessing it decided "no". But the MCs were able to escape in the central Bahamut tower and evacuate to Earth anyway. They had a scene with the city evacuating - did those people even KNOW they're in space at this point? The loudspeakers were talking about space evacuation and getting everyone to shelter but as far as I know the general populace already thought they were living on 1980s Earth. Then we don't see if any of these other people even lived. The end was pretty rushed and confusing, even on a re-watch.
PrawnGuardApr 20, 2022 11:04 PM
Jul 5, 2022 12:34 AM

Oct 2018
What an interesting advertisement for sex wax?

The art, music, and animation are still incredible despite the change in character designs. I really liked the designs of the bakusouzoku (more than Yui and Shougo's) and all of the Thundercats/Silverhawks pinball machines.
Oct 18, 2022 5:44 AM

Oct 2018
Yasuomi Umetsu's designs are even more detailed than the previous episode and to see that animated this well is definitely one hell of an experience, although I vastly prefer Hirano's work. Atleast Mikimoto's Eve design is still present on this. The editing inconsistency is still present but unlike the first episode, which only had few scenes of this problem, the editing here is weird throughout the episode. There's a lot of jump cuts between three different instances at the beginning, the drastic change of the character designs doesn't help either. (Seriously, why was BD's hair color changed?)

To be fair, they could have easily elongated the original by 30 or so minutes and included the entirety of this, it's not like they go deep into explaining about the alien invaders or the whole seventh Bahamut layer in detail. Majority of the new characters were fodder anyway even though they miraculously survived at the end. Moreover, I'm not even sure about the ending either.

I get that Itano being the action guy he is, wants to draw a lot of that but was there really necessary to make this most of the episode? There's some incredible sequences of animation which is vastly superior to the previous episode - the morphing of the tentacles resulting into the absolute eye popping gorefest, the chase scenes with the biker gang, the spaceship and the buildings crumbling down, the sweeping debris and obviously, the itano circus at the beginning. Another thing I noticed during the character animation/acting moments, they go for such a realistic touch, the animation cuts on their own are obviously beautiful to look at but the cuts together flow very unnaturally, feels very awkward. The sex was awesome though, Umetsu did work on it.
Etherius_ZSOct 20, 2022 5:09 AM
Nov 11, 2022 7:03 AM

Jul 2022
Dislike the art.
I was very confusing for half of the movie.

Hope Part 3 will have the same art as Part 1.
Dec 22, 2022 3:24 PM

Dec 2018
I don’t think the art style is bad but it doesn’t suit the energy of the story. I found myself bored watching it, whereas part 1 had me captivated even in the moments I didn’t care as much about due to the beautiful animation and artwork.
Apr 30, 2023 8:02 AM

Jan 2016
the bunch of punks dancing to some tv pop idol haha
directors love to use the punk visual but the whole culture is so alien to them they always mess up the portrayal even more when it comes to music... I'd love to see some animation with stuff like Lip Cream, LSD, Ghoul or GISM in the soundtrack

Dec 3, 2023 8:23 AM
May 2017
How is this improvement over the first one? The change of art style was bullsh!t decision. And they simply tried to conclude the story and not fix the plot hole left by the production issues of the first installment.
Jan 12, 12:24 AM

Jun 2021
WHAT THE FUCK I'M EVEN WATCHING ANYMORE EVERYTHING IS SO BATSHIT INSANE SO FUCKING CRAZY I LOVE IT I LOVED EVERYTHING, IT'S SO 80'S THAT I'M TURNING 50 YEARS-OLD JUST BY WATCHING THIS, I LOVE IT, IT'S LIKE AKIRA COMBINED WITH SOME EARLY 90'S SEGA GENESIS OR TURBGRAFX-16 SCI-FI MACROSS-LIKE SHOOT EM' UP VIDEOGAME I LOVED IT
BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUH
May 29, 8:56 PM
Mar 2024
oddly bloody but I'm all here for that
Aug 22, 4:45 PM

Oct 2022
Arcade and war machines. The eve ghost lives on. Their smartest option is to surrender, but they do not. They are launching off of face surface with craters. There is an identified section where the God must have escaped to. He punches his subordinate for asking a simple question. An arguably cay cigarette. The sewer man writes his stolen bike through a store. If he is trying to be undercover. This seems to be the least optimal way of doing it. Causing as much chaos as possible. He gets back up from the cyberpunks. They are murdering police squadrons. Even the technology of the future has a limit. Their own technology is turning against them. They are doubling security to defend a building with every window broken. He is always blaming others when he is losing. She couldn’t wait forever for someone who may be gone. They aren’t smart. They are just tough. The biggest celebrity is on TV naked. Don’t forget brain donor. The underground arcade. They light each others. She is trading suck for suck. 23 is their plan. She is bushed. She was feeling different unfortunately. Okay. They instantly sneak in to seemingly wear. It would have the highest amount of military security. He gets his bike back. He must come as quickly as possible. Did he really have to wear that pin? He writes a farewell letter. Everyone is easily taken out with one interaction. Their enemy in the war is infiltrating at the same time. It’s time for the trash to hit the tracks. The end of the line. They referred to themselves as secondary characters. He loses every limb. Wrong jack ass on the box. They make it to the unknown area. What good is trying to save her if she can’t be happy. Is it all a test? He dislikes, enforced conformity. Everything is handled with procedure instead of thought. He is beginning to love. All he wants is to live and be happy. And for some reason, he doesn’t include the one he has beginning to love in this explanation. He is angered by the concept of an adult. Adam is here. Eve must answer his call. It is time for them to return to earth although only Adam can decide if they’re ready. They have already made it back to earth. She will do everything she can in the room alters. He left her in the center of God. The mega zone is starting to fall apart. Adam is ordering them to tear themselves to pieces. They have been detected by defense systems on the moon. The one in charge finally cares about the citizens. Right doesn’t make Mite. Everything he has isn’t able to leave a dent. The entire moon is one giant weapon. Dizolg. The moon destroys their enemy. Eve is singing to save all of humanity. Where there is Life there is Hope. The new age is beginning. The world that they had is one worth living for. Pigheaded until the very end. The defenses are rising through from under the city. The buildings are sinking. Tsunamis and rising structures. It looks great. The God machine is rising to the surface. If he is going to die, he would like to do it in a place where there is enough light to see the faces of his friends. She is healed and their love unites. The couples are climbing. They may have made it to earth. All of the dead ones made it here alive as well. Only a few made it back to earth. This is really winning me back. I am starting to be able to look past the egregious actions of the main character in the first part. And they didn’t really continue in this , it was weird but She technically said yes. and there was only one hate symbol. The visuals of this are quite incredible. Extremely detailed in each shot. And The visuals are the things that I enjoy looking at the most. The story isn’t great, but it is quite fast-paced and it isn’t wasting time at all., and it is remaining interesting. 4

More topics from this board

Poll: » Megazone 23 Episode 4 Discussion

tofei - Oct 3, 2012

11 by TheVistrian »»
Aug 23, 6:30 PM

Poll: » Megazone 23 Episode 3 Discussion

greenmarty - Jun 17, 2012

14 by TheVistrian »»
Aug 23, 6:29 PM

Poll: » Megazone 23 Episode 1 Discussion

Veethorn - Oct 26, 2009

29 by TheVistrian »»
Aug 22, 4:44 PM

» New Megazone 23 Drama (Megazone DAO?!?)

ims-tokyo - May 16

4 by ims-tokyo »»
May 21, 7:12 AM

» AIC RIGHTS Starts New Megazone 23 Reboot Project as "G-Project"

ims-tokyo - Mar 25, 2023

1 by almightybismarck »»
Dec 3, 2023 8:32 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.