Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
One Week Friends
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jun 22, 2014 6:56 PM

Apr 2012
it's really great ride :D

Season 1 is really about Friendzone lol
If there is a season 2, i want it focus to Romance

Jun 22, 2014 7:06 PM

Oct 2012
Damn, ending almost got my hopes up but nope, they're STILL friends.

If there's a second season, their relationship HAS to progress further.
Jun 22, 2014 7:08 PM

May 2013
Good ending. Wrapped stuff up and allowed for a sequel while also not necessarily requiring one.
Jun 22, 2014 7:10 PM

Aug 2013
Delicious feels. It doesn't come swinging with a haymaker but short jabs that hit the spot.

Friendzone? Come on people.

Friendzone means you treat that person like any other friend. You don't purposely seek out that person on a cold winter day, shed tears for him because he's drifting away, faithfully make him lunch every single day or feel sad when it's time to part after hanging out then suddenly feel so happy because he decided to walk you partway home. But I suppose different cultures right? Where I come from, that's not called friendzone. That's called mutual understanding which is like a hair's breadth away from being officially a couple. Their classmates' reaction in the end confirmed that.

9/10. Will buy the BDs.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Jun 22, 2014 7:11 PM

Aug 2013
HASE FINALLY GOT HIS CREPES WITH FUJIMIYA. ALL HAIL THE CREPES SHOP.

Well, everything ended fine in the end. Don't know why I was worried, it's our sweet One Week Friends after all.
Relationship status : Saved.

Seeing Saki cry hurt me so much :(
She has that pityful face that make you want to hug her to death :3
But Shougo handled that well and didn't slip. Everything went fine again.

So the sweet diabetical serie end. I hope we get an OVA or something else, would be great to get a closure on the romance part... :P
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Jun 22, 2014 7:16 PM

Jun 2012
Please please PLEASE let there be a Season 2 sometime in the future!!
(Or maybe I could, you know, read the manga..)
Jun 22, 2014 7:17 PM

Oct 2013
Vooo said:
Nice ending. No need for a season 2 lol...

Yeah to be honest, that would ruin the series. Maybe some OVAs will be okay.
Jun 22, 2014 7:37 PM

Jul 2012
rodac said:
I think the folks who talk about Hase being friend-zoned are badly misreading this. It's pretty clear that Hase and Kaori are basically a couple, even if they are still using the term special friends rather than boyfriend/girlfriend (which would be an excellent title for a couple of OVAs or episodes in a second series: "What is a boyfriend?"). Hence the overwhelming attention that was being paid to them by every other person in the class when they met for the first time after the winter break--since everyone else there seems to know where they are headed.

I completely agree.

I don't get why people always want a kiss or a hug or a confession at the end of romances, even when having it would feel incredibly out of place and ruin the emotion of the scene. I prefer shows like this that build slowly, even if we never actually see that "final point" of a kiss or whatever. It feels more natural to me. If a kiss or confession or whatever fits, then yeah, go for it, but don't just have it in there just to have it in there.

AlexGK said:
That diary is for Kaori to read, it was pointed out several times that not knowing what Kaori writes in her diary is a weak point. Now she has 2 sources to try to interprete/affirm lingering memories and feelings. Its a good idea.

That's an interesting interpretation. Although, it didn't seem to me like Yuuki (and the audience) not knowing what Kaori wrote in her diary was made out to be a weak point, just that it would be nice for Yuuki (and the audience, depending on the person) to know. Personally, I didn't really care whether or not we actually got to see what Kaori wrote in her diary, but I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority on that one.

This last episode was better than I expected, and I'm really glad that they ended it in a way that has enough closure for this season to stand on its own. We've seen how much Yuuki cares about Kaori throughout the series, so it was really emotionally gratifying to see in this episode just how much she cared about him. Her sheer joy at getting to spend that time with him after he had started avoiding her was really heartwarming.

I thought the joke about Kaori's dad calling an ambulance instead of the police if he'd seen Kaori and Hase together was pretty funny. I read it as either they'd need an ambulance because Kaori's dad would've killed Yuuki out of protectiveness of his daughter, or that they'd need an ambulance because Kaori's dad would have gone into shock from seeing Kaori and Yuuki together.

The other line that got a really good laugh from me was when Shougo and Saki were talking and clearing up their misunderstanding, and Shougo said, "When I think it's my fault, I apologize. It isn't usually my fault, so I just don't get many opportunities to apologize." That line is just so fitting for his character and the role he played throughout the show.

I also thought it was really sweet when Yuuki over-exaggerated his frustration at himself by yelling like he did at the shrine to sort of snap Kaori out of her immediate funk, and then as he was telling her that he also wanted to become closer to her he just kept getting more and more into it.

I also really liked how they had a good moment at the crepe shop, whereas previously, all of Kaori's experiences there had been bad. It was a nice twist on a trend the series had established within itself.

xchee said:
Delicious feels. It doesn't come swinging with a haymaker but short jabs that hit the spot.

Friendzone? Come on people.

Friendzone means you treat that person like any other friend. You don't purposely seek out that person on a cold winter day, shed tears for him because he's drifting away, faithfully make him lunch every single day or feel sad when it's time to part after hanging out then suddenly feel so happy because he decided to walk you partway home. But I suppose different cultures right? Where I come from, that's not called friendzone. That's called mutual understanding which is like a hair's breadth away from being officially a couple. Their classmates' reaction in the end confirmed that.

9/10. Will buy the BDs.

This was pretty much the exact same reaction I had to this episode + MAL comments about Yuuki being friendzoned. You summed that up wonderfully.

All in all, I really, really enjoyed this series.
SejinJun 22, 2014 7:46 PM
You can also find me at:
Wordpress
Tumblr
Jun 22, 2014 7:40 PM

Dec 2013
There's no need for 2nd season. Whole series was good and I evaluate it with 8/10 grade. Ending was quite dissapointing but still I'm happy with that.
Jun 22, 2014 7:45 PM

Mar 2013
Awwwww Shougo x Saki still adorable till the end. HNNNNGGGG My precious OTP <3

and Hase had a diary too ooh.. guess gonna read the manga later
Jun 22, 2014 7:47 PM

Jun 2014
Master_Yoma said:
Nice ending but Yuuki ate the wrapper

That's what I think too lol
Jun 22, 2014 7:49 PM

Jun 2014
Personally I liked this series, and the ending was great.

I think that there's no need for season 2, as the story goes on slowly and it would be a bother to watch.
Jun 22, 2014 7:58 PM

Aug 2012
Such a sweet series and a happy ending yay.
Jun 22, 2014 8:27 PM

Nov 2011
Shougo saves the day again, except he talks to Kaori this time.

The part with Saki was cute.

The "book ends" feel of the crepe store was fitting. I think the scream at the shrine was exaggerated, but I think Hase meant for it to be exaggerated, so fair enough. Decent concluding episode.

That stinger. Hase's been keeping a diary the whole time himself. :3
Jun 22, 2014 8:31 PM

Dec 2012
Aww I really liked this anime, everything was so sweet I couldn't help but smile most of the time. I didn't want to end it... I might like even more if it were longer so we could see more romance feelings between these cute kids.

8/10 one of my favorites of the season!
Jun 22, 2014 8:32 PM

Jan 2014
I loved the frosty setting for this final episode. I am truly going to miss this wonderful series. This was no doubt one of my favorites this season. The ending was so sad, but nice at the same time.
Jun 22, 2014 8:34 PM
Aug 2011
BuBlicious said:
rodac said:
I'd be happy to see a second season in a year or two, this time with a romance tag (I'm on the fence as to whether we should add it for this season, but since they didn't even get to hand-holding or a true confession, I guess we'll wait)

Strange, if this is not romance, then what it is? One of the essential parts of the plot resolves around boy liking a girl. Wanted to use Hyouka as a relevant example, but found out, that it's also going without romance tag, lol. Still, I get how the romance tag can mislead the viewers.

This is not a romance, its a slice of life.
Jun 22, 2014 8:38 PM

Dec 2012
Glad to see that Hase and Kaori finally got to eat a crepe together. I am gonna miss this show.
Would love a season 2 and now Hase has got his own diary.
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Jun 22, 2014 8:42 PM

Aug 2009
I at least wanted for them to hug. Ugggh.
Still, that was sweet. OVA please.
Jun 22, 2014 8:46 PM

Jul 2012
Good, but the ending was very anti-climatic and inconclusive. Would love to watch a season two that continues the story even beyond.

This show was really similar to Kimi to Boku btw. Anyone who liked this show has to check Kimi to Boku out as well, because they are both pure fluff slice of life anime.
Jun 22, 2014 9:05 PM
Aug 2012
Dayum. I have not seen a friend zone level so high that they wanted to upgrade from being friends to being "closer friends." By that point, it's just like GET TOGETHER ALREADY ._____. but you know they want to make it kind of open ended or something so they's gon make Hase single and friend zoned not that it's a bad thing.

The journey was good and a bit tear jerking at times (not gon lie) but all in all this anime just went in a circle pretty much. Nothing new happens. No getting together. No next level. No nothing. I would usually call these anime "time wasters" or "harems" BUT as I said before, the journey was good and I can say that this anime is good.

And now for my random thoughts of this episode..

- FRIENDZONE LEVEL I JUST DONT E-EN NOE ANIMOR
- Depressed Hase makes me depressed because I am depression
- A girl crying makes me cri evertim
- Shrine scene is overrated; Bridge scene is where it's at

But you know, I would have REALLY liked a confession even though it would be out of place because it would make up for the circles that I've traveled god knows how many time and I'm just here like "DO SOMETHING ONEGAI-SHIMASU".

And to those hoping for a season 2.. No. Just no. Get out. NOW.

Like it ended the show with something I would like to call the "Dead End" ending where you cannot make another season and expect the show as a whole to be "good" anymore. If there is somehow a second season, they better pull some awesome ass storyline out of their asses and not make me go through crop circles evertim cause or else evertim I will cri.

And @sheidesu I don't think a WHOLE new season dedicated towards Kiryuu and Saki's "relationship" is justifiable. I think a 45 min long OVA would do just fine since they're not so developed in the main series as it is (The OVA would be about Kiryuu and Saki in middle school and how Kiryuu recalls it).

Overall, I would give this anime an 8/10 and it would be lower since they kind of got nowhere BUT the journey was good and good was the journey. Of friend zoning DAS RIGHT I STILL MAD AT DAT.
TheFeilong4Jun 22, 2014 9:11 PM
Jun 22, 2014 9:15 PM

May 2009
They should've had it ending with Hase confessing, Fujimiya accepting and then they become boyfriend and girlfriend and they live on happily ever after with Hase slowly but surely working through Fujimya's memory problems. This final episode was a big missed opportunity for just that. Instead they become "closer friends" man fuck that. Even though the ending is not at all what I would've liked it like TheFeilong4 said the journey was still good. I did predict a weak resolution so I'm not as disappointed. Saki-chan was definitely my favorite character I give it a 7/10.
Jun 22, 2014 9:26 PM

Mar 2012
"I want to be closer friends with you."

1/5 wud knot watch agen
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Jun 22, 2014 9:29 PM

Jul 2009
shougo x saki >>>>> hase x fujiyama
Jun 22, 2014 9:36 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
IZEROII said:
One of the most gentle and pure romances I've seen in a while.

Perfect way to describe this! Although I would lean more towards friendship instead of romance (even though yeah, in a way, they really are already a couple).

This episode made me smile so many times. I loved the scene with Shougo and Saki, it sounded like Shougo accepted Saki's proposal. They're too cute. Also, Fujimiya was adorable whenever she lit up with happiness when she was with Hase, I'm glad she told her feelings to Hase at the shrine, how she wanted them to talk like they used to, and that she wanted to be closer friends with him. She was able to make Hase snap back into reality and make him realize that instead of fearing something that may or may not happen, that that's what he wanted too- to be friends with her. I totally teared up at the very end when both of them said the line together ;_;

KhanhCPham said:
Wait...Did hase just ate the crepe paper/cover?

LOL

mayukachan said:

This show was really similar to Kimi to Boku btw. Anyone who liked this show has to check Kimi to Boku out as well, because they are both pure fluff slice of life anime.

Agreed on this one. They're both really calm and relaxing (for the most part), and I love the pastel color palette both anime uses.
Jun 22, 2014 9:49 PM
Apr 2013
Beginning to end, my opinion of Hase drastically changed. I thought he was a sweet, pure-hearted, patient boy, and now I think he's a passive-aggressive, jealous, controlling little ass. But this was a good show overall, especially the two side characters. A 7 from me.
Jun 22, 2014 9:50 PM

Jun 2013
Many feels. The shrine scene was great.

Just wish we'd get some romance. I know "friends" is in the series' name, but it's so agonizing when there's clearly a romance aspect and it never gets developed (to the point where a lot of the audience would like it to be). I swear, so many anime avoid fruitful romance and kissing like the plague.
-Trippwire-Jun 23, 2014 10:46 PM
Jun 22, 2014 10:11 PM

Jan 2011
I liked this even if it felt repetitive at times.
Jun 22, 2014 10:21 PM

Jul 2013
A cute little romance disguised as wanting to be "friends" heh... if Kaori wasn't such a forgetful person, Hase would surely have been in the friend zone by now but yeah.. they're pretty much a couple already. Even their group of friends acknowledged it. That last shot of all of them looking at Kaori and Hase was majestic.

Truthfully I wanted to smack Hase for making Kaori cry. The little twerp didn't even console her by hugging her (that was a great chance you twat!). Glad he turned around and became the guy that he was in episode 1, who wouldn't relent against all odds and would talk to Kaori again and again even if she forgot him.

I suppose it's quite a satisfying end where things came around with both saying "I want to be friends". The manga is still ongoing and it looks like we have to wait another 2 maybe 3 years before another season.

Definitely an anime that I would show to girls if I want to introduce them to anime. 8/10
Jun 22, 2014 10:29 PM

Oct 2013
sheidesu said:
I want Ishuukan Friends 2 but the main focus would be Kiryuu Shougo and Yamagishi Saki <3 THEY'RE SOOOOOOOOOO ADORABLE <3

this. they are so cute....

Laughing with tears, this series got a bit slow in the middle, but glad a snowy and sweet atmosphere.

Baka Hase. do you need to evens hout how much you wanna b friends, just have a confession...

7/10
Jun 22, 2014 10:33 PM

Jun 2010
7/10, It was a great series but the story didn't really move that much. Welp.
Jun 22, 2014 10:53 PM
Jun 2014
One of my favorites for this season
8/10 nearly cried.

I wonder when Hase started his diary.
Jun 22, 2014 10:54 PM

Oct 2013
very worth the watch.
wonder if like (conspiracy) he just made it all up in his diary such originality
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Jun 22, 2014 11:15 PM

Apr 2012
mayukachan said:
Good, but the ending was very anti-climatic and inconclusive. Would love to watch a season two that continues the story even beyond.
Yeah, a love confession really was the logical conclusion. "I want to be closer friend with you", I'm not sure that makes sense for anybody besides the Japanese.

Still a very solid series for me: visually, cast-wise, had some nice Memento moments. Too much drama sometimes but it seemed to appeal to some so I can understand why the makers thought it might fit in there. 8/10
EratiKJun 22, 2014 11:18 PM
Jun 22, 2014 11:56 PM

May 2010
Shougo was a bro till the very end. Saki x Shoujo should just become canon, that was some awesome development on their part!

Honestly, I don't ship Hase x Kaori as a couple, they should remain best friends forever. My OTP was Saki x Shogo till the very end as I wasn't very much interested in Hase's character, he is too insecure and a bit possessive.

But man, it was emotional till the very end. Such a feels-giving anime.

Season 2 please. 9/10
Jun 23, 2014 12:31 AM

Jun 2012
This was an enjoyable series.

Every character had a reason for being there, the animation was good, the bgm was fitting.

I appreciate the fact that not a single character was annoying, and that they cut down that "sugary" feeling from the first episode.
Also that it wasn't generally over the top, making it look more realistic.

However, the relationship(s) developed really slow for a 1-cour show.

6/10
Jun 23, 2014 12:35 AM

Aug 2010
Nice show, enjoyed almost all of it

Judging from where the raws are and where they are headed, there should be enough material for a second season and if not, at least a series of OVAs

I liked how Hase eventually realized his mistake
Jun 23, 2014 12:52 AM

Jan 2011
Kitoge said:
Vooo said:
Nice ending. No need for a season 2 lol...

Yeah to be honest, that would ruin the series. Maybe some OVAs will be okay.

Yes, please, dont turn this into another Kimi ni Todoke...
There is simply not much to add to the show exept an ending. Anything else would just be milking it and will only make things worse.
Jun 23, 2014 12:59 AM

Aug 2008
I liked the art and direction of this show. Kaori was very cute and the story was interesting. Good good.
Jun 23, 2014 1:08 AM
Jun 2014
Another enjoyable series ended !! I'm gonna miss it much

For me, Shougo x Saki sailed (from what Shougo said he won't baby Saki), Hase x Fumijiya (Fumijiya said she wanted them to become closer next year and Hase start writting a dairy to keep happy memories) ultimately becomes real. Well, it's a great end for a great series like Isshuukan Friends.

The art, music and that Kanade ED at the end, so good !!

8.5/10

I don't know the wrapping is edible or maybe Hase will come to hospital later
Jun 23, 2014 1:15 AM

Aug 2013
It was a cute ending, but pretty underwhelming.

Hase was being a bitch until the last 5 minutes of course.

Idk, like I said it was cute and all, and it was good that everyone made up with everyone, but as far as I'm concerned, if they aren't making a season 2, then the fact that nobody ended up in a relationship and Kaori didn't get her memory problem fixed makes this a disappointing conclusion.
Jun 23, 2014 1:19 AM

Apr 2014
It was a pretty good show and the ending was ok I guess. Nothing really amazing...

7/10 would watch a sequel
Jun 23, 2014 1:23 AM
Oct 2010
Heartwarming series.

I hope Hase realizes that he was eating the wrapper when he ran to get another crepe.
Jun 23, 2014 1:30 AM

Aug 2013
the anime was actually pretty good, it is not only among the best of the season as among the best of the year already
also like the final development, but I must say that I am saddened by brave soldier Yuuki Hase who fought for 12 episodes, but eventually stayed only in the 'friendzone' (as we say in Brazil, will be only a friend and not a boyfriend)
well, do not know how the manga is, but it would be legal for a second season, because this anime definitely worth seeing ..
Jun 23, 2014 1:43 AM

Sep 2009
You'd think after everything Hase and Kaori had been through they'd end up being more than just friends. If only he was more forward or honest with their relationship...

The shrine scene was a perfect time to confess his true feelings, instead he claims he wants to keep being her friend and keep making memories together with her? So frustrating! Just tell her your true feelings and I'm sure Kaori will never forget that moment for the rest of her life and a hug/kiss would have been the final nail in the coffin. Her memory loss would have been cured for sure! What were to happen if Kujo makes his move on Kaori in the near future? Well...we can always count on Shobro for advice to our dear Hase-kun!
DeathRyuJun 23, 2014 2:15 AM
Jun 23, 2014 2:15 AM

Jan 2013
I am a disappointed in the ending. Still a great anime though. I hope it gets another season. Very cute and emotional all the way through.
Jun 23, 2014 2:20 AM

Oct 2013
An overall heartwarming show. I am a bit upset that we didn't get to see Hase & Kaori realize & admit that they're more than friends but in this case,a slow approach is probably for the best.

8/10

I also agree with others that it doesn't need a 2nd season.
Jun 23, 2014 2:23 AM

Jan 2009
Would have liked if the series got a lil more serious

8/10
俺の命を百合に。
Currently translating Sono Hanabira ni Kuchizuke o - Atelier no Koibito-tachi -- when bored.
Above visual novel is 22.22% translated with progress uploaded to youtube; if you're into yuri VNs, check out my channel.
Jun 23, 2014 2:31 AM
Jul 2011
Holy shit he ate that crepe wrapper and all!
Jun 23, 2014 2:31 AM

Jul 2012
Does nobody pick up on subtext? It isn't even subtle.... It's incredibly obvious by their interactions that both Yuuki and Kaori think of each other as more than "just friends" (I actually think "special friends", as in the title of the previous episode, is a pretty good way to put it). Yes, it's not at the level of lovers or a romantic couple, but to throw that in in this episode would feel really out of place.

Here's the other thing: even if it's only taken literally and at face value that Kaori and Yuuki are "just friends", that's not really any kind of barrier to anything, especially in this case. A friendship, especially one as earnest as the one between Yuuki and Kaori, can change, evolve, and grow (heck, that's what this show is about, that you have to keep working at friendship, or any relationship for that matter, precisely because they're not static). In fact, I think "just romance" is worse than "just friends". Think about all the couples who have been together for decades and are still genuinely happy. Not only are many of them romantically linked, but they're best friends. You don't have to have "just romance" or "just friendship". In fact, having both is healthier and creates a stronger bond.
You can also find me at:
Wordpress
Tumblr
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Thought it was pretty bad due to one person

xONLYINHUMANx - Aug 30, 2023

4 by SAMESOULS_319 »»
Aug 30, 2023 2:32 PM

Poll: » Isshuukan Friends. Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 6, 2014

319 by xONLYINHUMANx »»
Aug 29, 2023 7:31 AM

Poll: » Isshuukan Friends. Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 8, 2014

172 by lazypanda666 »»
Aug 24, 2023 5:53 PM

Poll: » Isshuukan Friends. Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 25, 2014

160 by lazypanda666 »»
Aug 13, 2023 10:38 AM

Poll: » Isshuukan Friends. Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 15, 2014

155 by AntiMoba »»
Jun 17, 2023 2:47 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.