Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
May 17, 2022 6:39 PM
Jul 2018
The-Nsider said:
all_marbles_lost said:

And those are your tastes! I can't handle that kind of music beyond background fodder at a mall. Sure, they're popular, but I don't find them particularly interesting or revolutionary in terms of writing or orchestration. Like I said, it depends on what you mean by "sucks", and that directly correlates to what you mean by "great". For me, great music scratches an itch somewhere deep inside me that I never knew I even had. The artists you listed are adequate, sure, but they don't connect with me in any way, shape, or form.

Great is getting your name in Guinness Book of World Records like the Backstreet Boys did. Like Elvis, Micheal Jackson who I don't like as a person because he is a child milestor lost a lot of respect for him during that HBO viewing.

if your gauge for greatness is the millions of records sold, then i don't think i'm the right person to have this conversation with you lol
May 17, 2022 6:40 PM

Jul 2021
SmugSatoko said:
The-Nsider said:
They still broke records is all I'm saying, ya know? Like them or not man!

I'm just givin' you a hard time. lol

I actually bought one of their CDs back in the '90s and sang this song on the phone to my first girlfriend when I was like ten.

BSB was the shit back in the day. I gave my sister a hard time for being a ride or die Nsync fangirl but I secretly liked their music too. Shhhhhhhh.
May 17, 2022 7:01 PM

Mar 2021
Depends on the genre for sure. I grew up playing Classical piano and listening to hip hop, Rap, RnB, Gospel, Jazz, Soul, Blues, Pop, Drum and Bass, Reggae and Dancehall. Rap is garbage now. It peaked around 2014 and went off a cliff after that. Whats more annoying though is hearing the same old 'classics' playing in clubs, at parties, in people's cars. The same old jams from the 90s that people can't and won't let go of. Their taste and experience in music is so limited.

I've been enjoying discovering new genres of music on Spotify, Youtube and Soundcloud. I also looked into Vocaloid and found some music from the first genres I mentioned.
May 17, 2022 7:10 PM
Jan 2017
barsoapguy219 said:
SmugSatoko said:

I'm just givin' you a hard time. lol

I actually bought one of their CDs back in the '90s and sang this song on the phone to my first girlfriend when I was like ten.

BSB was the shit back in the day. I gave my sister a hard time for being a ride or die Nsync fangirl but I secretly liked their music too. Shhhhhhhh.

I was the same way hated them, but I loved the Backstreet Boys. I liked both as well lol!
May 17, 2022 7:12 PM
Jan 2017
Zayvex said:
@The-Nsider

"Nelly aged very well Justin Bieber is the best thing today has. Js"

I'm talking about statements like this lol

If these are your honest opinions, okay fine understandable.

It's just funny to me that's all haha.

The dude has some good songs. You're telling you didnt like one song he sung? What do you mean was awesome in my opinion.
May 17, 2022 7:34 PM

Mar 2018
Modern or classic; old or new, it doesn't matter. It can't compete with kawaii music, which stands at the pinnacle of music. Of course everything would sound inferior after experiencing the sweet bliss that is kawaii music. Just join the church of kawaii music already and let your soul be healed.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 17, 2022 8:25 PM

Jul 2019
I agree with this. Although I'm well aware it's driven by nostalgia. I feel like anything from the early 2010s are masterpieces.

-[ ~♫~ ll Credit ]-
May 18, 2022 12:52 AM

Mar 2021
I think people need to grow out of the phase of disliking modern music on account of it being modern. I used to think that way as well, but now I can enjoy modern music if I actually think it sounds good, even though I tend to prefer older stuff.
"Molly Ringwald" out right now - check my Linktree!

May 18, 2022 1:51 AM
Jan 2017
LordSozin said:
I agree with this. Although I'm well aware it's driven by nostalgia. I feel like anything from the early 2010s are masterpieces.
I agree I said the same thing. Remember kiss me through the phone. You don't have music like that anymore.
May 18, 2022 2:52 AM

Dec 2015
English/Pop music always suck, about polish ones which I know mainly, it is hard as 90s have some strong stuff and the modern has also some strong stuff
(I ain't speaking about english ones as I don't listen to it cause from non-polish music I only know the music which is put on night clubs/radio or from anime when it comes to japanese stuff)

In nutshell my opinion will be based on polish saying "Cudze chwalicie, swego nie znacie" ("You're cheering the others, your own you don't know" - literal translation, from dictionary the english version of this saying ->" the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence"). But here I am not meaning cheering for something which is not polish vs polish, but you're cheering the older stuff, without diging into the modern stuff, remember that the "POP" in radio is not the only musical stuff which is created in nowadays x)

Here's examples

ZettaikenMay 18, 2022 3:56 AM
May 18, 2022 3:03 AM

Jul 2014
Not really.

I always preferred older music and movies, but recently my attention shifted to more modern material.

For example, i like 60s jazz, and I also like contemporary modern Jazz (Kamasi Washington, Kamaal Williams, Alfa Mist).

I like Funk, and one of my favorite funk bands is a contemporary band (Vufpeck).

I like the sound of 80s music, and I hear the same summer-ish synth driven vibe listening to many contemporary bands (Harvey Sutherland, Breakbot, Yellow Days, PERP, Parcels, Kavinsky, Laneous, Natalie Prass, Caroline Rose).

I also like other modern styles of music, like the chamber-pop influenced My Brightest Diamond and Kadhja Bonet.

Hip hop music is becoming increasingly popular, and while I don't really fancy the style most of the time, I really like its influence in other genres, especially in jazz and other modern pop-ish bands I listen to. Not to mention lo-fi.

The problem with modern music is that it's more difficult to label it, imo. So it's really hard to find new music to listen to.
May 18, 2022 3:07 AM
Cat Hater

Feb 2017
Correction: modern pop music sucks.

We have things like folk metal.
May 18, 2022 4:36 AM

Mar 2015
I'm about to say the unthinkable:

I think there's plenty of good modern music, including pop songs.
May 18, 2022 5:44 AM

Aug 2014
149597871 said:
We have things like folk metal.

Have an accordion solo. :D

When it comes to folk metal, I prefer more extreme combinations like black metal.

May 18, 2022 7:21 AM

Sep 2017
I've always been into mainstream shit, older or recent one.

Sorry, but I love Ed, Shape of you and Shivers are just super good songs imo.

Also :

Fucking hell, that kinda jam makes me feel great ^^

So yeah

Love it ;p
May 18, 2022 7:28 AM

Jun 2016
Shite music's always been around, you just kinda forget about it while the good stuff sticks. Gonna be the same with today's music in a few decades and the cycle continues.
May 18, 2022 7:39 AM

Jun 2016
Music peaked with Seikilos and has never been good again.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
May 18, 2022 7:46 AM

Oct 2017
I never liked Backstreet soy boys.

You really live in a cave if you think everything is junk pop music nowadays. I know for a fact that low-level music is increasingly popular mostly because this is what the average person can process and understand, not everybody craves good lyrics or harmony.

It's just a matter of finding your band/group and stick with it.

Gojira has been my thing recently, they are still producing good music, so I stick with it as far as they are active.

Also, I still listen to rappers such as Earl Sweatshirt, Chester Watson, Vince Staples, Joey Badass, Rejjie Snow, and the list goes on.
Fate_Saber88May 18, 2022 7:54 AM
''Enemies' gifts are no gifts and do no good.''
May 18, 2022 7:47 AM

Jul 2015
the 2000s were HORRIBLE for music U_U

Nowadays I can't chill 10 mins on Youtube without god-tier darksynth and doom albums being spammed at me by the algorithm :'D
May 18, 2022 7:52 AM
Jul 2018
2000s was pretty shitty for music ngl
At least we got Kid A
May 18, 2022 7:59 AM
Jul 2018
I guess lucky me since I only listen to classical music and anime/video games music.
May 18, 2022 8:38 AM

Jul 2013
I would have to say yes to that. Finding very talented Millennials and younger artists is difficult. With Daft Punk out of the music industry, all hope of world-changing music has slipped away.
May 18, 2022 8:44 AM
Jan 2017
Kurt_Irving said:
I would have to say yes to that. Finding very talented Millennials and younger artists is difficult. With Daft Punk out of the music industry, all hope of world-changing music has slipped away.

My hope for music today has gone away as well. I'm not a fan of modern-day music. Just is missing something!
May 18, 2022 9:48 AM
Jul 2018
The-Nsider said:
Amityblight said:
90s music aged like shit.
No I disagree you simply don't look hard enough.

Nelly aged very well

I guessing the music you like is cheesy love songs and radio Disney

Here a group I liked when I was a happy kid.

May 18, 2022 12:37 PM

Sep 2010
Depends how you define modern. Everything after 2010 sucks I agree, sounds all the same plus lyrics with barely any deeper meaning behind it. I like rock/pop from the 60s-80s but not always. Classical music and jazz is also fine but I can't listen to that for too long. These days I mainly listen to lofi and anime music.
May 18, 2022 12:55 PM

Jul 2021
If you're saying everything after the 2000s was bad, then you're very ignorant. There has defiantly been a decline, though.

May 18, 2022 3:16 PM
Jul 2018
No, I think there's been good music from every decade. Why would I judge music based on when it was made instead of quality?

@MeanMrMusician I agree.
May 18, 2022 3:20 PM

Jun 2019
I doubt that you understand the usage of the word "modern." But I would be curious to know what constituted good music in the 1990s...

philtecturophy said:
I only listen to classical music (mostly Chopin) and games songs
Music these days are junk, including most anime openings and endings songs

I am surprised that you do not listen to jazz at all. Pretty sure that you should love Bill Evans and like Thelonious Monk, who are respectively the Chopin and the Mozart of jazz (without making any exaggerations).

May 18, 2022 4:36 PM

Sep 2020
yeah, but it depends on what genre it is and its meaning, don't ever listen to nowadays pop or popular artist you know from like 2012-2018, my worst mistake ever
May 18, 2022 7:26 PM

Mar 2021
Most people will say you're just getting older, but you're right, it's dreadful. But at the same time, this mainly applies to the mainstream junk. You will almost always find something better than anything mainstream, the problem is that it's so hard to find. The good stuff is mostly found by accident.
May 18, 2022 9:27 PM
Jul 2018
What are you talking about? 00 sucked. But yeah modern is even worse.
May 18, 2022 9:53 PM
Feb 2016
Modern music is more complex, but if you are talking about pop music, is like COD, generic and the same over the years, but it's functional.
May 19, 2022 1:00 AM

Dec 2018
People have been saying this for decades, you could probably track this sentiment back to the 60s. The main reason why people say things like this is simply because they grew up with music from a decade ago that followed slightly different trends and conventions.
May 19, 2022 1:52 AM

Sep 2018
I think you are on the wrong site *pushes you in the direction of youtube and reddit*

Monochrosanity said:
People have been saying this for decades, you could probably track this sentiment back to the 60s. The main reason why people say things like this is simply because they grew up with music from a decade ago that followed slightly different trends and conventions.

Even longer I think, for a bit I was doing a personal challenge where I was trying to watch every WB animated theatrical short and I remember a cartoon from like way back in like the late 30s or early 40s with a joke making fun of this sentiment, so this has been a thing for a very very long time, lol. Though in that era it kinda makes sense culturally, since it isn't like now where everything is slightly different than decades before, you had the rising popularity of blues and Jazz, which to older upper and middle class white americans was completely different from anything they had heard before.
KristiwazhereMay 19, 2022 2:05 AM
May 19, 2022 4:20 AM
Aug 2021
I love both old and modern though I love both old and modern though
May 19, 2022 4:51 AM
Aug 2011
The-Nsider said:
When I think of good music I think of the mid 2000's and 90's. Heck, even boys like girls were good in 2009. Do you guys think modern music is as good as older music?

This is extra hilarious because people in the early 2000s were already saying modern music sucks then. I really thought you'd at least say the 60s-80s or something, not pining for the 90s and early 2000s, lol.

That's definitely nostalgia goggles right there. Check actual top single charts for each year, tell me if they're getting better or worse (they're not). Or at least they haven't been getting worse for at least 30 years, since they've been consistently awful all that time.

If you look at Billboard top 100 singles from the 1960s, then you can argue that most of the top-selling stuff is now considered classics. See the top 10 or 20 here from 1965, they're all deadset classics:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billboard_Year-End_Hot_100_singles_of_1965

Then compare to this crap year after year:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billboard_Year-End_Hot_100_singles_of_1990
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billboard_Year-End_Hot_100_singles_of_1991
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billboard_Year-End_Hot_100_singles_of_1992

Fucking "Jump" by Kris Kross #3 single of 1992. It's a sad thing. #3 in 1965 was the Rolling Stones with I can't Get no Satisfaction. We went from Mick Jagger to rapping toddlers in a generation.

Back in the 1990s and 2000s you had to go off the beaten track to find the good bands. It's the same now. There are still plenty good bands out there, but if you're not paying attention you won't find them.

Maybe you're just not keeping up with the music scene. If your argument is that "X band used to be good, now they're not. modern music is worse". Then perhaps it didn't occur to you that they were a NEW BAND when you started listening to them, and they are an OLD BAND now. 2000 to now is the same time difference between Elvis Presley in 1955 in black leathers, and Fat Elvis in 1975 playing Las Vegas covered in rhinestones.

Also, if a band has a couple of really good albums then it's hard to keep doing that. Most of them run out of musical ideas, and/or song ideas. So if they keep together as a band, it's normal for the later albums to be worse, purely because of "regression to the mean".

Alternatively, maybe the styles you like aren't current so you're not finding good bands when you look for similar stuff. take 'grunge' as an example. The good stuff was around 1990-1992, then by around 2000 it was mostly god-awful moaning post-grunge shit like Nickelback and Creed. And that's only 8 years after the big Nirvana hits. You had to have moved on to different styles by then, maybe Offspring, Rancid and Pennywise. But even then, that scene ended up with Blink 182 and Good Charlotte. So ... on to the next thing.

So if you want whatever is good *now* then you can't really expect bands you already know about to deliver that, or to find it in the same genres you liked already. Most genres end up shit within a few years.
cipheronMay 19, 2022 5:53 AM
May 19, 2022 5:40 AM

Jul 2014
There's always been shitty music on the radio and in the mainstream in general, but it's really not that hard to find good or even great music from just about any era.

The-Nsider said:
Rap has become garbage lust, money, sex, guns

Give this a listen. It dropped just two weeks ago.
Take care of yourself

May 19, 2022 9:25 AM

Apr 2020
not all old music is good and not all new music is good that has always been the case, if you think that most of modern music sucks than i dont think that you've listened to good music. But hey maybe we just have very different taste
HushryMay 19, 2022 9:29 AM
May 19, 2022 12:18 PM

May 2020
I like both modern and old music. Generally i consider the 70s to have the overall best albums.
っ◔◡◔)っ ♥Average gamer and anime enjoyer♥
May 19, 2022 5:42 PM

Aug 2015
Survivor bias. The amount of songs that you just pretend or forget existed that was made in those older time periods you like is astounding.

May 19, 2022 6:13 PM

Jan 2019
Judging music by awards or records is pretty fallible already, but it makes far less sense nowadays. I don't think OP realizes the absurd amount of music that is currently released weekly.

One thing is certain, being popular worldwide based on pure talent is way more difficult now. But on the bright side, talented people have much better ways to promote their music nowadays through the internet, even if it's for a more specific public.
May 19, 2022 6:54 PM

Jun 2021
Depends on your taste in music. My brother prefers the 70s era of music. Every era has their share of bangers and crap songs. Some of my favorite bands are old, like Guns N' Roses, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Foo Fighters. Others are also from the 2000s like Gorillaz, Biggie, Eminem, T-Pain. Again it depends on your preferences, some like the oldies while others are a Jack of all Trades.
May 20, 2022 2:22 AM
Jul 2018
music has always been mid so just enjoy it
May 20, 2022 3:38 AM

Sep 2016
hello im 5 yrs old and I listen to the beatles......
infinite money glitch click here for money free mony click here real

May 20, 2022 4:30 AM

Sep 2015
There's too much music out there to be able to make a proper judgment.
can dis sig fit
May 20, 2022 6:24 AM

Jul 2016
I tihnk plenty of new music is good, so many people release music now im sure you can find good stuff lmao
May 20, 2022 11:51 AM

Oct 2014
This is a shit boomer take. Just because you don't like the modern landscape of music doesn't make it bad. Hip hop and rap have never been in a better place with artists like Tyler, Kendrick, JPEGMAFIA, Freddie Gibbs, Conway, Benny, Denzel, Vince Staples, Anderson .Paak, Pusha, Blu etc all actively making great music. Hopefully Lupe, Schoolboy Q, A$AP Rocky, and Lil Wayne come out with new music soon too. Probably missed a bunch
May 20, 2022 12:05 PM

Mar 2021
0207xander said:
This is a shit boomer take. Just because you don't like the modern landscape of music doesn't make it bad. Hip hop and rap have never been in a better place with artists like Tyler, Kendrick, JPEGMAFIA, Freddie Gibbs, Conway, Benny, Denzel, Vince Staples, Anderson .Paak, Pusha, Blu etc all actively making great music. Hopefully Lupe, Schoolboy Q, A$AP Rocky, and Lil Wayne come out with new music soon too. Probably missed a bunch

Every single one of them are garbage.
May 20, 2022 12:08 PM

Oct 2014
-Hermit- said:
0207xander said:

You're right, every single one of them is popular and critically acclaimed because they make garbage music xD my fault for expecting a non-retarded answer about music on "MyAnimeList". Care to explain why you feel that way? Who are your favorite artists
May 20, 2022 12:17 PM

Mar 2021
0207xander said:
-Hermit- said:

You're right, every single one of them is popular and critically acclaimed because they make garbage music xD my fault for expecting a non-retarded answer about music on "MyAnimeList". Care to explain why you feel that way? Who are your favorite artists

Why are you so upset? The music you like I personally think is garbage, I have always felt that way about hip hop and rap, you may think that way about the music I like. Why does it bother you so much?
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7779 by Alex111222 »»
1 hour ago

» What was the last song you listened to? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Death - Oct 1, 2020

3506 by enigmasauce »»
5 hours ago

» What was the last TV show episode (non anime) have you watched?

Vargnatt - Mar 23

47 by Nette »»
5 hours ago

» Favorite films? ( 1 2 3 4 )

naptakermango - Mar 8, 2021

172 by GCRyan »»
8 hours ago

» Discuss the last movie you watched ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

GloriousHawk - Dec 29, 2012

4843 by GCRyan »»
8 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.