Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Oct 1, 2013 7:53 PM
Jul 2018
Dat ending scene... dragged on for about 20 seconds too long XD
An alright episode, I hope this series gets better, I'm not enjoying it as much as others : /
Oct 19, 2013 3:02 PM

Feb 2008
The giant dick was too much for Shinji so he ran away. Not blaming him though. Anyone would run away after seeing a roughly 100m long penis.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Oct 30, 2013 9:25 AM

Oct 2013
Shinji there was pretty quiet..
Nov 29, 2013 6:58 AM
Sep 2013
This is the kind of episode that separates Eva from being "just another crappy anime." Show, don't tell.
Dec 14, 2013 12:54 AM

Aug 2007
I really like the reference the title makes to The Hedgehog's Dilemma concept.
Even though Shinji is quite weak minded, it is important to verbally say that from time to time because if you admit your issues, it can turn into a turning point.

I feel like the first couple episodes were more or less delving into how Shinji thinks and feels which, I think, might be vital to further developments.

Dec 16, 2013 11:38 AM

Dec 2012
Sneaky Shinji? I dislike that they will randomly play background music. e.g., when he's saying his goodbyes at the train station.
Dec 21, 2013 9:38 PM

Jan 2013
Poor Shinji, I feel for the kid :( His dad's a jerk and who knows where is mom is. It's only fair that he is acting this way. I know he'll become stronger though, he has to.
Jan 3, 2014 7:45 PM
Dec 2013
I liked this episode a lot more than I would've thought if I knew what I was getting myself into. The show is really growing on me now.
If Shinji doesn't develop further though I can see myself not liking him, but so far it doesn't bother me all that much.
rigel10Oct 22, 2015 11:02 AM
Jan 7, 2014 2:15 PM

Nov 2013
I hope Shinji gets more likeable later on, cause right now he's not a very impressive main character. I do feel sorry for the kid though, but at least he's making friends now.
Feb 15, 2014 11:20 PM

Oct 2013
slowly sortin his shit out
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Feb 18, 2014 3:08 AM

Aug 2013
I don't think Shinji's annoying or cowardly at all. If anything, he's acting like a normal person would given his circumstances. He's no "this is justice I'll save the world yarrr" type nor is he "I'll save everyone because you told me to, no reasons needed" kind of guy. He's 14. His dad is a giant ass who, after three years of of absence, just makes him come to town aka alien battlefield. Then suddenly everyone expects him to go pilot a robot and risk his life to fight the giant Angel thing running amok in town because apparently he's the only one who can do it -- without telling him anything. Nobody could or should blame him for running away.

Sure he can choose not to do it but we've all been shown that consequences of not doing it weigh heavily on his mind. He's stuck between a rock and a hard place.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Mar 6, 2014 7:02 PM

Dec 2013
-Kurisuta- said:
I hope Shinji gets more likeable later on, cause right now he's not a very impressive main character. I do feel sorry for the kid though, but at least he's making friends now.

Yeah, he's wimpy, it makes sense that he would be, but he's still not very entertaining to watch. I feel sorry for him as well.

He represents a pretty good deconstruction of the concept of teenaged mech pilots which seems pretty common. I wonder why they have to be so young in this series...

I'm giving this show another chance, but I don't know if this high artsy drama is for me.

anyway, boring episode.
Love and Peace!!!
Mar 12, 2014 3:36 PM

Dec 2012
This series continues to intrigue me, showing who the characters are rather than telling. That long silence at the end being interrupted by "I'm home" was perfect.
Apr 6, 2014 8:03 AM

Apr 2012
According to the book that came with the R2 Ultimate Edition boxset, this episode was an afterthought. It wasn't originally scripted and Anno wasn't involved in it.

I can see why they wanted to put this episode in, but it's frustrating given what happened with them running out of steam by the ending of the series.
May 2, 2014 10:16 AM

Jun 2013
What an amazing episode. The long silence at the end is what made it fantastic. A great atmosphere in this episode. I think Shinji is a great character. I really don't understand why people hate him, he's really not all that bad. Anywho, onto the next episode!
May 20, 2014 9:26 AM
Jan 2012
Shinji admitting his weaknesses was an interesting twist.

I like how the two students seem to care about Shinji (or at least they pretend to care). The end was kind of cute also.

Lastly, the dudes in suit are jerks. I hate them.
May 31, 2014 11:21 AM

Aug 2013
I'm glad in the end at least they were reunited.
My Candies:
Jun 17, 2014 12:07 PM

Aug 2013
The ending scene between Shinji's classmates and the MIsato train scene was probably my favorite part of this episode. This anime is very cerebral and highly nuanced and it doesn't need to rely on a "monster of the week" or "new angel attack" ploy which I very much appreciate. Shinji is a much deeper character than people seem to be giving him credit for, but I don't want to delve into that issue once again.

So far NGE does a great job of creating character depth without it being too obvious. The viewer is left to piece some aspects of the characters' psyche together which I think is quite cool. However, it does assume that the viewer will be intuitive enough to figure it out. So that could be off putting for some people.

So far, I really enjoy the use of silence/music/noise in this anime. The cicadas don't bother me, and I found it interesting that the cicadas were even pulled into the story a little bit.
Oct 23, 2014 2:07 PM

Jan 2013
Weird. But the silence made it atmospheric and enjoyable.
Nov 4, 2014 11:51 AM

Nov 2013
Direction is real. It's an absolute pleasure experiencing thoughtful cinematography in anime, it's a rarity for me.

Funny how they pile the weight of the world on his shoulders and force him to come back then they moan about his attitude and say he can go if he doesn't want to pilot. Fuck Nerv. His classmates are real bros. Shinji is a pretty great character so far, they've expressed a lot with him in four episodes. If he's supposed to be annoying at the moment as he's apparently known for, then I'm not getting those vibes.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Nov 5, 2014 2:50 AM

Sep 2014
Wow. This show is surprisingly really fucking good. I thought I'd hate Shinji, but I actually really like him. I feel like it's Shinji vs the world. Fuck all those other people for using him
Nov 28, 2014 2:22 AM

Jul 2014
This was a great episode. Wtf was that ending train scene where nothing happened for an entire minute but them staring at eachother...?
Dec 14, 2014 1:57 AM

Oct 2013
best ep so far
Dec 30, 2014 9:49 AM

Dec 2012
then said:

However I felt like the whole episode was superfluousnesses- I didn't feel like the plot was advanced or I learnt anything new about any of the charactos.

Well basically I agree, it was a bit boring and I think that all of this episode could have been in like 5-10 minutes. It was trying to show how Shinji felt and the way he got to not being scared of fighting, but I think it wasn´t done well.
Jan 7, 2015 4:46 PM

Aug 2014
The episode felt somewhat unnecessary, almost like a filler. There were some interesting moments, but it was boring overall. I'm liking Shinji so far, and it's quite astonishing on how much we get a grasp of his character in only 4 episodes. Still, I feel that a lot of stuff could have been done in this particular episode. Not saying that it's bad, it just wasn't as good as the past 3. I'm looking forward to the next one.
VoidlingJan 7, 2015 4:49 PM
Jan 22, 2015 2:45 AM

Apr 2013
He SPEAKS(of his own accord)!!!!!!!!
I hope this means Shinji will stop being introverted, at least to a certain margin. The girl character will be fleshed out next episode, let's see how it goes. Don't know about others but I'm dying to see another character other than Shinji.
Jan 22, 2015 8:01 PM

May 2014
I'm too much of a fan of the show to try and convince others to like so I won't argue with anyone who doesn't like the episode.

I'm here because of my 20th rewatch of the show. But, this episode wasn't my favorite. I think its not on par with the rest of the episodes, but well, that's whats great about Evangelion... when nothing makes sense, booom! comes along an small detail you saw back in episode 4 and then everything makes sense.

I'll fanboy myself out of here.
Jan 25, 2015 4:20 PM

Nov 2012
This was a slow episode, but it did create a good relationship between Shinji and his friends.
Feb 16, 2015 1:13 AM

Oct 2013
my goodness this was a slow episode... o_o it was good but damn. I don't really understand the purpose of it? It was like a plot break or filler or something... maybe its purpose will be made more clear in retrospect after advancing with the series.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Mar 23, 2015 8:29 AM

Feb 2015
I just love Shinji's i don't care attitude. He is so messed up that he doesn't think about anything anymore.
Apr 4, 2015 9:47 AM

Aug 2014
There WAS character development, but the ep was too slow for me. Maybe cause I'm already used to the fast pace of the first 3 eps.
Apr 28, 2015 6:15 AM
Nov 2014
GREAT developments and all but I don't like this Shinji guy ( reminds me alot of NEAR from DN )

Excited for the next episode though, Rei looks like an interesting character.
May 25, 2015 8:32 PM

Sep 2014
Ep 4. Decisions, decisions, and make sure you want the Giant Robot.

Pros:
Characters: This show proves it does characterization and hidden depths. Kensuke's moment comes here and even Touji comes off good with his and Shinji's resolution. Shinji' and Misato's confrontation was the highlight and the long silences bring mystique and wonder to those choices.

Ending note: The heck is up with the ED? Why does the VA keep changing?

4/5.

I go where I wanna go, even if its into Oppai.
May 28, 2015 7:37 AM

Jan 2013
Episode was kinda ... meh.
Shinji clearly doesnt care anymore and just runs away from his issues, even admits his weaknesses.
At the end (after 50 seconds of a still frame) he decides to come back anyway.
Jul 9, 2015 11:56 AM

Jan 2014
Shinji fighting himself...
Him turning on the stairs and then what he said to his two classmates seemed like a kind of a confession.
And the end was also powerful with that long silence.
Aug 5, 2015 5:22 PM

Aug 2015
The ending of this episode was the best part. Really felt the connection between Misato and Shinji and how they are practically family now.

Other than the end, this episode was long and boring. I understand how Shinji is scared and suffering under the weight of what he is being asked to do, but wow... even I was starting for get sick of his attitude.

I hope that's done now, and we can start moving on with the story and getting to know some of the other characters better. ★ 3/5
Sep 7, 2015 12:47 AM
Apr 2015
Were the people on this thread wanting Naruto or Kirito to be the MC? He isn't even a wimp, you people are delusional.
Oct 9, 2015 11:21 PM

Apr 2014
ZeroDragon said:

Also regarding Rei, Ritsuko asking Gendo if he saw Rei in the hospital and him replying that she was essentially just another tool in the previous episode makes me really curious. I can't help but feel that (spoiling some thoughts just in case)

Well I guess I was being too cautious when I added the spoiler tags. The preview at the end of this episode pretty much confirmed my speculation, but then again it wasn't really much of a speculation than it was just some vague thoughts.

Misato really cares for him. The "Little Shin's Room" sign, her sadness when Shinji was gone, her tough love attitude with him, and her coming to the train station to confirm his alleged decision in person all lead me to believe that

(speculation)

When Shinji was saying goodbye to his two classmates, that was the moment when it finally occurred to him that there existed people who valued him and cared for him. Sure Misato already showed that to him, but the relationship between him and her was derived from a professional context. Now he finally appreciates her care for him.

It was quite touching when he declared that he was home and Misato replying with a "Welcome home". Misato's tough attitude toward him was pretty much an ultimatum since she cared for him and didn't want to force him to do experience painful burdens against his wishes. In treating him coldly and saying with an undertone of rejection that he could just leave, she made it a win-win situation for herself. Either he takes it to heart by leaving and continues his desolate ("but at least he's still alive and should be away from immediate harm") existence not doing what he doesn't want to do, or he gains a fresh resolve and continues his duty to humanity with true willingness and determination. By opting for the latter, he has also shown a willingness to confront his inner demons, though the sarcastic broken attitude he took on earlier in the episode indicates that he may just be on the verge of losing it. This decision to stay will take him higher than he's been, but it also has the potential to take him even lower than what he has already experienced.
ZeroDragonOct 9, 2015 11:44 PM
Nov 20, 2015 8:04 AM

Jan 2012
She is still wounded,when she is gonna recuperate.

Nov 21, 2015 5:34 AM

Feb 2013
This was a great episode, I really enjoyed it.

I'm especially loving the relationship between Misato and Shinji, this episode really showed how much they care for eachother.

I have to wonder what's up with the girl though, the other pilot. Nobody seems to really acknowledge her, I wonder who she is?
Dec 3, 2015 11:19 AM

Nov 2012
Ratohnhaketon said:
This series continues to intrigue me, showing who the characters are rather than telling. That long silence at the end being interrupted by "I'm home" was perfect.
Dec 6, 2015 1:53 AM

Jan 2015
I like silent anime scenes... done right. Steins;Gate did silent scenes extremely well but that long silence at the end of this episode literally made me laugh! It came off as lazy rather than artistic.
Dec 25, 2015 8:23 PM

Feb 2013
(rewatching again)

The emo-Shinji episode.

I'm not sure if I ever took notice of the sunflower field he walked through before. ... ahh, pointless details.

5/5
Jan 6, 2016 1:36 PM

Feb 2010
I can understand people's frustrations with Shinji as a character, and I can without a doubt see how he can be an unlikable character, but I for one don't see him as a worthless waste of a character who could've been replaced by your typical shounen hero. He is not a 'wasted potential'. Shinji does not act in a way that satisfies one's burning desire for inspiration, sacrificing life for a greater cause with little hesitation, rapid character growth, and the birth of the idealized hero. Seemingly, it is only those kind of characters that are able to fill that gap and bring us excitement and rouse us.

Instead, we are presented with a boy who drowns himself in self pity and is a spineless coward who runs away from his responsibilities. Shinji is without a doubt a coward, however Shinji is also human. And as a human, even as a fictional character, his emotions are very real and transcend past the, dare I say, recycled protagonist who has that one goal and works at any cost to reach it. Sure, there may be brief doubts or hesitations but they always resolve to stay strong and carry on. Shinji does not know what he is doing, he is lost and literally wanders around for this entire episode. What does running away do? It is pointless in our eyes, a waste of time, and does not achieve anything. Shinji, however is still a hero. A hero is also human, and his human qualities form a character that lets you see a glimpse of reality in anime. People have feelings, fears, shortcomings or weaknesses. They are not all hidden behind the screen, but for the most part they are not fully portrayed in many of the series we love so much.

Here, Evangelion has painted a character that basically destroys our preconceived notions of what a protagonist should be. The hero is deconstructed and though he is weak we are able to see how he will be shaped through time. It is okay to get frustrated with his shortcomings as he does have plenty, but my main point is that I feel like if someone were to watch the show through complacent lens, you won't be unable to grasp all that the show has to offer. If you only watch for what you want to see, then of course you will be unsatisfied, so it's completely understandable in that respect. But if you perhaps see reality through Shinjis eyes, his actions would be more understandable. Granted, I do feel a bit sympathetic for him which influences how I see him as a character, however I simply cannot bring myself to hate him because not every character can be psychologically unaffected by their shortcomings and move on quickly.

VanishingKira said:
Ratohnhaketon said:

This. I absolutely agree. As Shinji basically sat on the train for many, many frames and drowned in silence I could definitely see how I am being showed his character even though I cannot hear the thoughts in his head. This is also the case with the other characters as well and it's a beautiful way to show the story.
Jul 9, 2016 3:04 AM

Aug 2012
This episode was definitely stellar. This is the first episode of the series where I started to genuinely feel emotional invested. Prior to this, I liked the series quite a bit but it was more on an intellectual level. The direction, how the series framed scenes, & the ideas it was expressing through the story. & I certainly liked all the characters prior to this but this was the first time I felt moved by the series. The scene where Shinji is expressing his guilt & self-loathing towards Toji & Kensuke was A+ stuff, Ogata killed it & the scene was a great climax of sorts after how quiet Shinji had been in the episode. & while I'm praising Ogata, Mitsuishi is equally as good as Misato, who's easily my favorite character thus far. Her stuff with Shinji was top notch stuff. I love her line relating the hedgehogs dilemma to Shinji, probably the most purposeful way I've seen that applied. Admittedly, the show didn't really need to linger on that shot at the end for as long as it did but it didn't really damper the impact of the final lines, which were heartwarming & another scene that moved me (& I do think having a size-able gap from when they see each-other to Shinji's line aided the lines impact but most of that being centered on one shot was a rare miss imo). Aside from that relatively minor nitpick, this episode also totally worked on a intellectual level to. The direction here was great, I loved all the far-away shots of Shinji, it's a simple trick but it really helps capture his isolation. & I also liked the movie theater scene, where his eyes where the center window to his emotional state. But what really stood out to me was the color gradient & use of shadows. The series animation doesn't match up to the quality we've got today but so few series manage this kind cinematography in anime, & I think NGE wins in this trade-off. At least for the series it is.
Aug 3, 2016 10:56 AM

Aug 2016
So not only do they have to be young, they have to be 14 years old precisely to pilot those eva's i wonder why.

I really liked the interactions between the characters this episode.

5/5
Aug 8, 2016 4:30 PM

Jan 2016
damn this was boring
Sep 16, 2016 11:09 PM

Jun 2016
This is good stuff.
Oct 23, 2016 11:28 AM

Aug 2014
Thank god Toji stopped acting like a ass real fast, I didn't want to deal with that bs any longer.

Pretty good episode, I really like the final scene with Shinji saying "I'm home" to Misato.
Nov 13, 2016 7:21 PM

Dec 2013
I sure love cicadas...They are a perfect counterpart to a silent afternoon. I like to think they spurred Shinji's self reflection towards the end. He stayed not because what waits him back home would be worse, but because he saw something of worth in piloting that mech and living with Misato. Even if being bossed around and forced to fight horrendous monsters. That is kinda sad now that I think about. At least that's my take on it.

The interaction with those two students as well, Shinji was struck with an honest request derived from remorse and that made him be honest with them too.

Good episode.
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Appropriate for Christians?

264354287 - Feb 4, 2015

18 by NoviSun »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

then - Feb 6, 2008

269 by Ch0coPudding »»
Yesterday, 5:11 PM

» Should i watch this ( 1 2 )

Lonely_kun - Apr 18

75 by Kyubey89 »»
Jun 10, 2:43 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Voltlighter - Nov 29, 2007

204 by KidRias »»
Jun 6, 2:25 AM

» Do you have any Evangelion merchandise? ( 1 2 )

TsutanaiFuun - May 29

57 by 3looming »»
Jun 2, 9:15 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.