Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Magia Record: Puella Magi Madoka Magica Side Story
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jan 4, 2020 12:01 PM

Dec 2014
What? Shaft actually making anime? What is this? 2017?

Anyway, this was very nice. Has very familiar vibes to the original. I have not played the game but I think I'll still be able to have fun watching this.

Not sure what to expect from this story wise but the atmosphere and setting has been excited for what's to come. They did kind of set up some mystery towards the very end and the direction is nice too. OST is fantastic, looks like they kept the OST?

I'm gonna be nitpicky about one thing, I think the hood doesn't suit Tamaki in her magical girl form, it's not bad but I feel like she'd look better with the hood down.

Jan 4, 2020 12:07 PM

Jan 2015
Fantastic first episode, love this already as much as the original
Jan 4, 2020 12:07 PM

Apr 2017
I'd say it was an interesting start to a new series. Although it is a spin-off and we won't get to see anything completely new or game-changing, it is still interesting to see, where all this is going. To me it seems like some interesting goals for the series have been set, although we might get to them earlier than expected. Maybe there will be more sub-plots as there will be 26 episodes. Apart from that I am very happy to see the same style again, it would have been out of place, if it would look different. The background-artworks were amazing and also the character-designs reminds me of other character-designs in the Madoka-franchise. But I still got the impression, that there were some changes, seeing the witches maze felt different from before.

From what we have seen so far it seems, the main characters don't seem to be as interesting as I hoped, but we haven't seen so much yet, so there will probably be improvements in the future; if not that would be really disappointing. This also counts for the whole episode, as it wasn't bad, but there was no point where I thought of watching a really good show, the start seemed really slow and there was nothing that hooked me from the beginning. I hope this changes in the next few episode.
Jan 4, 2020 12:19 PM

Mar 2016
Ahh yes, let's dive into this acid trip yet again, sponsored by ours truly, SHAFT.

Jan 4, 2020 12:21 PM

Jul 2017
I'm surprised they revealed Ui so fast. I also thought the atmosphere of the show would be more light hearted but here we are and I absolutely love it.

Who needs to read translations when there's an actual show lol ty Shaft

GFL NA: 151141 | FGO NA: 622,135,030
FGO JP: 028,976,814 | Magia Record JP: rzMsBapp

‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
Jan 4, 2020 12:31 PM
Jul 2018
Fisonnra said:
Magia record is definitely one of the candidates for AoTY

lol seriously? after a single episode?
Jan 4, 2020 12:33 PM

Dec 2018
The animation was weird but unique I kind if like it

Music was so fucking good I love it!!!

I have never been more confused in my life wtf is going on.And it was dark I dont like dark I like happy girls,But it was pure no stupid girl talk about boys,,,Great!!

Then my angels fought a ??? What in the holy name of ass is that thing? It looks like birthday cake mixed cookie monster!!,,,,,,omg! Then the rat start to sing!!!! Ok?

And in the end Kuroe was holding her girlfriend!! It was soo cute!!! Awwwww you love her dont you honey!!! You two lesbians are adorable together!!,,YEES!!!

It was confusing and dark but pure fun and even have some Yuri vibes!!! Great start!! I give stupid ass anime 7/10

Yuri-CrusaderJan 5, 2020 9:18 AM
Jan 4, 2020 12:39 PM
Jun 2019
Anyone else notice how in the OP (ED in this episode) there was a frame with the original cast of Madoka?
Jan 4, 2020 12:50 PM

Sep 2017
Very good first episode, the beautiful art is maintained and the atmosphere feels the same, the OST as always is beautiful ... hoping to get to know new girls better.

2020 starts well with the return of Madoka, even if it is a spin/off.
Jan 4, 2020 12:52 PM

Oct 2010
Iruha, become Meguha!
(anime edition)

Madoka was mahou shoujo genre deconstruction and mind breaker to some extent but there were quite a lot of followers afterwards(e.g. Granbelm as latest one).
Can this 'sequel' be something as impactful?
Hard to say.
Jan 4, 2020 12:57 PM

Apr 2014
Saber-x-Rin said:
Anyone else notice how in the OP (ED in this episode) there was a frame with the original cast of Madoka?
Ya spoilers. Dont try to seek anymore info just absorb the mahous
moodieJan 4, 2020 2:24 PM
Jan 4, 2020 1:16 PM

Oct 2010
This was quite a bit different than how it was in the game and that's not a bad thing. Decent start but it took the entire episode to reveal what took like 5 minutes in the game lol.

As people have noticed, Kajiura Yuki's music is used a lot in this. They use a lot of new music from Ozawa Takumi but also a lot of music from the original. It blends well too. Kajiura Yuki needs to be added to the staff list for music.
KougeruJan 4, 2020 1:22 PM
Jan 4, 2020 1:18 PM

Sep 2011
The return of one of the most ionic anime of all time and it certainly managed to bring the same atmosphere back. It was a bit strange to see different characters in the same universe, but I guess it would be really hard to come up with a proper contiuation of the story from where Rebellion ended, so this might've been the best decision.
Jan 4, 2020 1:30 PM
Aug 2015
Yuri-Crusader said:

I have never been more confused in my life wtf is going on.And it was dark I dont like dark I like happy girls,But it was pure no stupid girl talk about boys,,,Great!!

Then my angels fought a ??? What in the holy name of ass is that thing? It looks like birth cake mixed cookie monster!!,,,,,,omg! Then the rat start to sing!!!! Ok?

And in the end Kuroe was holding her girlfriend!! It was soo cute!!! Awwwww you love her dont you honey!!! You two lesbians are adorable together!!,,YEES!!!

It was confusing and dark but pure fun and even have some Yuri vibes!!! Great start!! I give stupid ass anime 7/10

You should watch the original series, its only 12 episodes and 1 movie long and I am sure you will like the yuri ships in it
Jan 4, 2020 1:36 PM

Jun 2016
They changed the story a bit i see.. i think it works better this way since the game felt slower at the begining. Animation and ost seem to be on point!

The new character doesn't even appear in the opening.... either she's gonna bite the dust soon or she's just there for the first episodes or something.

And somehow Alina is the only one of Wings of Magius that appears there, if there was going to be anyone i was expecting the twins but i'm happy it's her, that means she'll be in the anime :')
Jan 4, 2020 1:39 PM
Apr 2019
Very nice starting that animation shaft making it so beautiful and still stand in their characteristic

The starting its a different from i know and that's make me exicited
Jan 4, 2020 1:42 PM

Feb 2019
Damn, this was a nostalgia bat hitting me in the face and bashing my nose in. I like everything about it so far.
Jan 4, 2020 1:57 PM

Sep 2018
Pretty good first episode, glad that they didn't waste much time retreading explanations about the stuff we should already know from PMMM. Haven't played the mobile game so I'm definitely interested to see where some of these plot hooks go, and what the significance of certain things is (very interested in whatever Mini QB is, in particular).

Did they ever say how many episodes this would be, speaking of which?
Jan 4, 2020 2:04 PM

Apr 2015
Oh my lord, that soundtrack playing at the start of the episode send shivers down my spine! It's great yet sad to hear that soundtrack again!!

SHAFT bringing us those visuals again, they are impressive as expected! It's unusual, weird but oh so familiar now.

Good start, so looking forward to this one. I honestly hope it won't break me as when I watched the original series. Not sure if I will survive that :P

Saber-x-Rin said:

It was brief but I saw it!
Jan 4, 2020 2:07 PM

Mar 2018
Good start. Can't wait to get depressed again.
Jan 4, 2020 2:10 PM

Sep 2017
Pretty good start, it was kinda hard for me to get back in the mood of Madoka Magica however, but now I'm ready perfectly

Wonder when things are going to get darker (because they certainly will)
Jan 4, 2020 2:19 PM

Jul 2015
Although they reused some of the OST from the original, the lack of Yuki Kajiura hurts.

Jan 4, 2020 2:20 PM

Jun 2016
Yuri-Crusader said:

Iroha is Yachiyo's girlfriend, get it right.
Jan 4, 2020 2:33 PM
Panzer Vor!

Jun 2014

Oh this^^^^
Great first episode i think.
Jan 4, 2020 2:34 PM

Feb 2011
SHAFT IS BACK BABY
Jan 4, 2020 2:35 PM

Dec 2018
AyumiVk said:
Yuri-Crusader said:

Iroha is Yachiyo's girlfriend, get it right.

Well that isn't a bad ship either and seems to be a popular one =P Im new to this interesting anime!! Love the Yuri vibes from this episode!! It was much better then I thought it was going to be!!

Yuri-CrusaderJan 4, 2020 2:38 PM
Jan 4, 2020 2:40 PM

Jun 2016
Yuri-Crusader said:

Well that isn't a bad ship either and seems to be a popular one =P Im new to this interesting anime!! Love the Yuri vibes from this episode!!

Well being familiar with the game, in my opinion Iroha and Yachiyo are the ship with the most cute moments.. plus Kuroe is a original anime character so i don't think she will appear much, sadly.
Jan 4, 2020 2:46 PM

Jul 2016
Pretty jarring episode with bad CGI and acid trip visuals like original Madoka. The characters are copy of the original cast. Like Borutos dad show, but its SHAFT. The all over the place plot is there, and nice visuals. But the character designs is simplified imo, I hope the fight is gonna be amazing. The OST is the same, with same mascot character. I read the story of this game, I hope they adapt it faithfully.

Jan 4, 2020 3:01 PM

Mar 2019
I never finished it before...
I never played a game or similar...

Despite what most people is saying, i liked it mostly cause its unknown atmosphere/environment.

PS: ill watch the prequel/original series later to compare.

Nyan-Pasu!... [ Ara Ara ] [ Waifus ]
Jan 4, 2020 3:25 PM

Feb 2010
This episode was excellent the atmosphere, the animation, everything felt like the original series, which is what I was worried about because I didn't get that feeling from the game at all except for a few parts. The changes they've made so far have only enhanced the story so I'm extremely excited to see the rest of this.
Jan 4, 2020 3:32 PM

Jul 2015
This is the one of the few watchable series this season. Winter 2020 is probably gonna end up being one of the worst Winter in years.

AdrianRubinskyJan 4, 2020 4:58 PM
Jan 4, 2020 3:35 PM

Aug 2018
Episode heavily focuses on the familiar and beautiful battle scenes between magical girls and the witches. There is so much mystery surrounding iroha's visions and im excited to see how it gets fleshed out. The story-telling is muddled and was a bit lacking, but makes up for it in beautiful animation, paired with immaculate music. Super excited to see what unfolds.
Alsoooo, who else was in TEARS seeing the OG mahou shoujo cast in the ED song. All the feels are falling from my eyes, wow.
Jan 4, 2020 3:47 PM

Jan 2011
WOW did the shitposters flood /a/ because of this.
It was OK, I'm getting real tired of mahous wasting their one and only wish for other people. Oh how magnanimous they are, so virtuous. Such heroes.
That crap needs to stop. Make an actual good wish for once. This shit is not a game.
Jan 4, 2020 3:49 PM
Mar 2017
You do not know how much I hate to see the smiling face of the bastard of Kyubei again, finally the Mahou Shoujos and their sad adventures return and from what I understand this is not a sequel, which was what caught my attention, it is also good see other magical girls with their designs so adorable that they make you fond of them and then have depression for 1 month because they are sad with their lives.

Undoubtedly Iroha is a mystery, her dream is strange and also makes it clear that the girl of her dream existed and it is rare for Iroha to forget the desire she asked for and that the scumbag of Kyubei does not know it is obviously a lie, remember that this manipulative rat is an expert in deceiving innocent girls and apparently Iroha will not be the exception.
Another thing that causes me curiosity is Kuroe, she goes out with this rumor of Kamihama city and salvation, I do not believe much to Kuroe, but at the moment she is the closest ally to Iroha, but she gives me a bad feeling, besides she doesn't even appears in the opening, does anyone know why?

The fight with the witches was another great detail that I missed and it was one of the reasons I loved Madoka Magica, this is particularly terrifying, but what terrified me the most was what happened to Iroha when she caught Kyubei in her arms, Flashbacks of a hospitalized girl and Iroha looked very terrified, but they are saved by this Mahou Shoujo who uses a spear and then warns them that the rumor that they will be saved is a lie and makes it clear that if they return they will be treated as enemies. Another detail that intrigued me a lot was what the girl said that saved Iroha and Kuroe, she mentions that there is no Kyubei in Kamihama, although Iroha saw a younger one and another thing was that this fight with the witch reminded me a lot when Madoka met Mami, I hope this Mahou Shoujo does not end the same as Mami (please don't do the same, I still remember the nightmares I had for what happened with Mami)
And they could not end this episode without adding sadness, so Iroha's wish was to heal the illness of a girl named Ui, apparently she was her sister, but why she disappeared from the photos in which she appeared next to Iroha and why Iroha would forget her sister? It smells like Kyubei did his evil again.

Something I always remember about this franchise is the soundtrack and in this episode it was felt and it was great, I felt chills when the episode started and the choirs felt in my headphones and the opening made me feel in another anime, it is very cheerful and I did not see sadness.
Anyway, it will be a pleasure to see this franchise again and cry in a corner for these poor girls.
Jan 4, 2020 4:16 PM
Sep 2019
RobertBobert said:
Should I watch this if I did not watch the original Madoka?

You can, but the lore behind magical girls aren't explained much so you should wat Madoka though. Good news is it's only 12 episodes and a really good anime!
Jan 4, 2020 4:18 PM

Apr 2012
TheKewlPerson said:
RobertBobert said:

You can, but the lore behind magical girls aren't explained much so you should wat Madoka though. Good news is it's only 12 episodes and a really good anime!

Thanks for the advice! Other people told me the same thing, but since so many people hold this opinion, it’s really worth it :)
Jan 4, 2020 4:47 PM
May 2018
Loved it. Loved it, loved it, loved it. It's so great to see the characters from the game properly animated. The story also seems a bit different than the one in the game and the atmosphere is much darker.
Can't wait to see certain parts of the story animated too.
Please don't say that the new characters are 'copies' of the original. They are very different and have different motives, give them a chance.
Trust me yall, it's going to get great.
Jan 4, 2020 5:25 PM

Mar 2019
Yuri-Crusader said:

Then my angels fought a ??? What in the holy name of ass is that thing? It looks like birth cake mixed cookie monster!!,,,,,,omg! Then the rat start to sing!!!! Ok?

It is a holy obligation for me to search for your comments in animes like this one, thank you for existing, keep up the good work
my dark magical girl webseries
https://unsafemahoushoujo.wordpress.com/blog/
Jan 4, 2020 5:25 PM

Feb 2016
Anybody know if crunchyroll will be getting this?
whats an anime
Jan 4, 2020 5:47 PM

Jan 2019
ichimatsuvevo said:
Anybody know if crunchyroll will be getting this?

it will arrive on the 11
"If someone says it's wrong to hope, I'll tell them they're wrong every single time."
Jan 4, 2020 6:52 PM

Apr 2015
I would like to introduce.... Puella Magi Wiki to supplement after watch the episode

https://wiki.puella-magi.net/Magia_Record_Episode_1:_Have_You_Heard%3F_That_Rumor_About_the_Magical_Girls

as original one, there will be a lot of translatable Rune and hopefully someone will translate them as we watch on this wiki. (hope no one spoil future episode though)
Jan 4, 2020 7:09 PM

Aug 2017
MADOKA CLASSIC OST IS BACK TOO.

I'm so glad. So many questions. This is definitely one of the candidates for AOTS and/or AOTY.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jan 4, 2020 7:27 PM

Jan 2017
Looking forward for who will die first :))
Glad to hear they bring classic OST back
Jan 4, 2020 7:51 PM

May 2018
Okay, I haven't played the game at all, I'm going in this blind. It's gonna be fun!

It's been so long since Rebellion. Can't wait to see how this show plays out.
This is not your planet to rule. The Fallen shall rise again.
Jan 4, 2020 9:00 PM
Mar 2015
Very interesting Girls drawn to a den of witches. A little kubey A girl who cannot remember her sister or her wish
Jan 4, 2020 9:28 PM
Jan 2013
Without the hack writer Gen Urobochi.Madoka can finally live up to its true potential.

That moblie game suddenly decies to have its own anime story.

genesic123Jan 4, 2020 9:52 PM

Jan 4, 2020 9:36 PM

Feb 2017
It was an OK start, we have some mysteries, strong color and art direction, not bad animation, but i can't help but feel like too little happend in this episode.
Jan 4, 2020 9:43 PM

Nov 2011
I like that it has the same atmosphere as the original series unlike the game.

Jan 4, 2020 9:44 PM

Jan 2011
besides this Railgun and Haikyuu!!!i have no idea how this season will shape up but these are my saving grace.

seems good and will most likely be super depressing ,at least we got the squad shot of the old cast( also if you haven't watch the first Madoka ,WATCH IT)

have not played much of the game figured the story would be good but i got enough gatcha games to play but in hype of the anime i picked it up since there's daily free pulls ! not gonna actually play it till this over gonna go in blind
Jan 4, 2020 10:42 PM

Nov 2018
RobertBobert said:

I recommend seeing the original first
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Is this necessary to watch?

theanimeviber - Feb 4

15 by salarx »»
May 10, 10:16 AM

Poll: » Magia Record: Mahou Shoujo Madoka☆Magica Gaiden (TV) Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 28, 2020

258 by Biisoo »»
Apr 24, 3:09 PM

Poll: » Magia Record: Mahou Shoujo Madoka☆Magica Gaiden (TV) Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 7, 2020

108 by Hilel1982014h »»
Jan 16, 7:42 AM

» This is quite funny

official_brown - Jun 10, 2022

16 by jedman »»
Jul 5, 2023 3:05 AM

Poll: » Magia Record: Mahou Shoujo Madoka☆Magica Gaiden (TV) Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 1, 2020

136 by HimeCrycho »»
Jun 18, 2023 2:19 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.