Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 »
Aug 9, 2010 12:02 AM
Nov 2009
I don't know about anyone else, but my favorite part was pointing out all the DC references like the spy museum, the aircraft and technology museum, and how well they recreated DC like the white house, the Washington monument. and even the airport! The creators of this anime definitely did their research.
Aug 27, 2010 10:58 PM
Dec 2009
azulichigo said:
I don't know about anyone else, but my favorite part was pointing out all the DC references like the spy museum, the aircraft and technology museum, and how well they recreated DC like the white house, the Washington monument. and even the airport! The creators of this anime definitely did their research.

Yep. I live really close to D.C. and it was exact for the time it was animated. That sign about the "other" air and space museum is a real place. (FYI it was also used in the second Transformers movie, though there is a goof and they go from Dulles Airport to the desert... XD)

It also seems that they used native or really really good English speakers for those who spoke English in the show.
Sep 11, 2010 5:57 PM
Jun 2010
Interesting 1st episode. Akira looks a lot like L.
Sep 12, 2010 1:21 AM

May 2008
I am confused right now, it was a weird first episode but I'm looking forward to watch more of this.
Sep 25, 2010 2:01 PM

Aug 2009
Wow that was a pretty cool first episode, love the OP by Oasis, and the ED's visuals were great!
Dec 28, 2010 1:54 AM

Aug 2010
They became friends like that very quickly...

So Akira got brainwashed and now he as no idea where he should be going. This should be interesting
Dec 28, 2010 4:50 AM

Dec 2010
She must be like: "These crazy americans! Why is everyone taking their pants off???"

Great intro, I think I may have started to watch this last year, but with the wrong crowd, cause I'm liking it now. Onward!
Dec 28, 2010 4:50 AM

Dec 2010
She must be like: "These crazy americans! Why is everyone taking their pants off???"

Great intro, I think I may have started to watch this last year, but with the wrong crowd, cause I'm liking it now. Onward!
Jan 6, 2011 8:57 AM

Jul 2010
I was laughing my ass off when Akira was naked. It's so funny how they censored his johnny. I was immediately hooked onto this series.
Plus, it's pretty cool to have people that actually speak english on this series. It's probably no difference if I buy the DVD.
Jan 8, 2011 7:00 PM

Jun 2009
i am suprised the american spoke proper english in america the japanese went all out for this
Jan 28, 2011 7:57 AM

Dec 2010
Interesting first episode to say the least, gotta say i never saw a series start quite like that, the OP by Oasis was also really good, so far a good start.
Feb 11, 2011 7:12 PM
Jul 2009
Nice episode. But did the americans understand when they where speaking in japanese? :S
Feb 20, 2011 5:29 PM

Jul 2010
wat a weird 1st episode, and yet...im so drawn into it.
there's so many questions i need to ask.
and im already likin this pair, saki is adorable and i love the blush face she makes.

Apr 18, 2011 1:30 AM

Dec 2008
Whoa... I already really like this A LOT!
May 30, 2011 7:14 AM

Apr 2010
Lol for the american woman cop, who let them get away when she saw Akira's johnny. :D Very good opening for a possible anime favorite. Too bad the big guys on Oasis demanded more money for the use of their song, so it won't be playing in the other eps. Fortunately the alternative j-pop/jazz song is easy for ears, but that Oasis track suited so well in the opening that it's a shame still.
Jun 1, 2011 2:22 AM

Jul 2007
Great animation visuals and the characters are so far entertaining. I am actually watching this completely dubbed and i have to say the english voice actors are pretty well done. Saki's doesn't have a voice that sounds like a screeching 12 year old or a overly mature seductive voice.

Although i have to say for a 22 year old, she does look kind of young but i guess thats just the Japanese style of characters. Which im fine with.

There was funny bits on this episode lol i really liked.

The ending showing the missles launching there attack on tokyo was a great cliff hanger.

Jun 1, 2011 2:24 AM

Jul 2007
reiijou said:

LOL i know i was wondering that to. Something seems quite strange bout that if you ask me.

Jul 2, 2011 10:22 PM

Jan 2011
oh my god that was GREAT
the characters are so likable,animation and CGI are nice and blend in together smoothly (it literally screams ghost in the shell SAC), interesting plot, and music is nice.
I have big expectations for this anime
"Where will a newborn go from here? The net is vast and infinite" - Motoko Kusanagi
Jul 26, 2011 2:20 AM

Aug 2010
Needs more penis.
Sep 11, 2011 9:59 AM

Jul 2011
WOW WOW WOW WOW its such a shame i didnt watch this earlier!!!! huaaaa

the character are very likable and the plot is really instriguing!! cool!!
Oct 18, 2011 11:35 PM
Oct 2010
Downloaded a free english dub sample of the first ep. to see how they handled some aspects. I was wondering how they would do the whole non-English speaking Japanese stuff; so now they all speak english...

And GODDAMN WHERE'S MY OASIS!?
Oct 19, 2011 8:31 PM
Mar 2009
Nice first episode, got me interested to watch the second,
the art was really great and loved the pacing of the story, it brought characters to life and made them seem interesting.

Watched the English subbed version.
Oct 25, 2011 11:29 AM

Feb 2009
I have a huge feeling I'm gonna enjoy this one a lot! So interesting stuff, and funny as well. Oh and that ending!
Nov 21, 2011 1:15 AM

Sep 2011
I actually really enjoyed that episode. Lots of unanswered things but I think I got the idea of what this Anime is going to be about.
Dec 9, 2011 3:43 PM

May 2011
Dick be big.
I definitely have superpowers. I can feel it in my balls.
Jan 17, 2012 9:30 PM

Jun 2010
Is it a joke that "Akira" actually didn't help Saki at all? Those cops certainly weren't going to arrest her for throwing a bag of coins on the White House lawn...but they would and should when she helps a naked man running around with a gun.

I like that they made the effort to get actual English speakers for English-speaking roles, but they seems to have muffed the dialogue a bit. That police woman asked to see Akira's dick (or "Johnny") but she acts surprised when he pulls down his pants.

They also got the geography of Washington right.

It seems like this one is soaked in a Japanese political consciousness what with all the things Saki said in the airport. I don't know if I'll be able to get the implications of all that in future episodes (presuming it's more complex than the whining that's common in any anime which mentions America).
FronzelJan 17, 2012 9:50 PM
Feb 18, 2012 12:20 PM
Dec 2010
Liked the opening theme, episode and the ending theme! :)
Really good episode! Finally someone hired english voice actors and got the feeling of another country right! Good job.
Mar 18, 2012 7:12 PM

Nov 2011
I was thinking Akira was like Jason Bourne and then the show explicitly mentions it. win.
May 15, 2012 8:46 AM

Feb 2012
This has been one of the most entertaining first episodes I’ve seen in a while. I hope they keep it up.
May 20, 2012 10:33 PM

Jul 2011
INSTANT LOVE.

I find it rare to absolutely love a character from the first episode!

Akira <3

And great english VAs! I miss them!
And great opening!!
May 24, 2012 1:09 PM

Jul 2009
interesting and awesome episode :D

i love how Akira is badass with he's johnny :P

Saki is cute and a lovable character!!!!

i expect awesome things from the director of Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex :)
Jun 20, 2012 6:57 AM

Jan 2012
Well, finally decided to watch this show. And now I understand why it's so highly rated. Damn, it's awesome. The plot, the characters. Not to mention it's funny too. Looking forward to next episode.

Aug 31, 2012 6:12 PM

Jul 2012
WHOA! WHOOOOA. 5/5
I rarely give such high ratings for the first episode! :)

I laughed quite a lot at naked Akira. LOL He's damn funny. The girl's cool too. I already ship these two. :D

I have a feeling I'm gonna enjoy this anime a LOT.
Sep 17, 2012 4:04 PM

Jun 2011
0.0 I LOVE this show already!
There's ENGLISH! And GOOD ENGLISH!
<3 And Akira is so cool! XD I liked how the Black cop was like "-_- Are you Japanese? I need to see your Johnny." 0.0
"Aiming for the mark takes precision, balance, and patience."

....Screw that, let's shoot the damn thing!
Dec 18, 2012 1:02 PM

May 2012
Quite a nice start of the anime, really nice setting and quite Direct to the point! Lets see what's next! Great Op and especially nice ED!
Jan 1, 2013 6:26 PM

Oct 2011
Interesting start!!
Signature
Feb 19, 2013 5:12 PM

Oct 2012
Haha dat cab. xDD

Was nice for episode 1. Niggas love dem dicks. xD
Alone on a Friday night? Remember that DIO did nothing wrong!
Mar 2, 2013 3:59 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Wow I was surprised to see that this discussion has 17 pages o_O I didn't realize it was that popular (well on MAL at least).

Interesting first episode. I definitely laughed at the part where Akira was naked...his reaction to himself being naked shows that he is a pretty eccentric character right from the start. He basically didn't try to cover anything and then just waltzed around naked LOL in front of a girl too. Akira and Saki are a fun duo :) Saki wasn't that fazed either by Akira, she was embarrassed yes, but I love how she just puts her hat and scarf on Akira and then gives him her jacket like it's no big deal X)
Mar 2, 2013 10:49 PM

Dec 2012
tingy said:
Wow I was surprised to see that this discussion has 17 pages o_O I didn't realize it was that popular (well on MAL at least).

Interesting first episode. I definitely laughed at the part where Akira was naked...his reaction to himself being naked shows that he is a pretty eccentric character right from the start. He basically didn't try to cover anything and then just waltzed around naked LOL in front of a girl too. Akira and Saki are a fun duo :) Saki wasn't that fazed either by Akira, she was embarrassed yes, but I love how she just puts her hat and scarf on Akira and then gives him her jacket like it's no big deal X)

i had the exact same thought right now :D i just watched the first episode and i was like "well, that was really nice. let's take a look at the discussion." and then suddenly 17 pages, woah o.o
and the posts i read here make me a bit happy tbh. i haven't thought that the mal community would like such a confusing first episode. i would have expected a lot of bad and disappointing comments. this is either the nice part of the community or i have to change my view on this forum.

okay, anyway. opinion on this episode:
really nice. it was confusing, but in a good way. and with that i mean that it was in a way that makes me want to watch more.
the two main characters seem likeable, especially the guy. he seems so cool and carefree.
and the english voices were great. i'm not used to understanding english in anime :D

all in all it was a really good first episode and totally i agree with tingy's post.
Mar 3, 2013 12:01 PM

Oct 2011
It was a nice first episode, though I don't really undestand why the taxi driver and the police woman (and probably more :o) understood their Japanese when they all started with normal English.. :/
Mar 17, 2013 3:47 PM

Sep 2009
I still don't understand; Is there any explanation as to WHY Takizawa stripped down naked? Or why he had a gun, but mostly, I just want to know what was the point in stripping.
Jun 3, 2013 2:47 AM

Jun 2012
Great first episode, I especially love the English voice-acting, which I assume is by native English speakers (or they are just really good). It doesn't sound fake and I was very impressed by it (although it's always interesting to hear english in anime).

As for the story, it seems like a perfect love story (for better or worse). I was a little surprised that she wasn't too worried about her lost luggage and all due to Akira.
Anyway, great start.

5/5.

Jul 13, 2013 3:28 PM

Apr 2013
Oasis as the OP. You can't really knock that.

A good English dub too it seems, how refreshing..

10/10 start!
Aug 1, 2013 9:24 AM

Sep 2008
Well the series started off quite interesting. I don't know the franchise at all so I hope I'm going to enjoy this.
Aug 12, 2013 8:45 AM
May 2012
Similar to The Bourne Identity but this looks more awesome!!

The girl is cute and the dude is crazy. That picture of him looks like he is in an orgy fest lol.
Sep 8, 2013 6:45 PM

Jun 2012
Very interesting first episode. The op was pretty damn cool too.
Not a fan of the female leads design but still this first episode really pulled me in.
Nov 2, 2013 5:41 PM

Sep 2011
Great first episode.
Confusing, but still great in it's own way :D

I like both of our main characters already, especially Saki (I also like her seiyuu).
Here's already hoping that they will end up together :D

Kudos for the english, which I guess was native speakers, unless they were really that good.

OP is not bad, let's see if it will grow on me. The ED was meh. I really liked the animation sequences on both of them though (especially during the OP, with the added little messages).
Feb 10, 2014 6:15 PM

Aug 2013
Hum, what? It sure is an interresting setting though, it raised my curiosity :P

I don't know what the hell is going on, but we got a careless naked guy with an hideout loaded with weapon and a weird phone.

And man, that girl got guts to follow such a weird stranger...
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Feb 18, 2014 3:12 AM

Sep 2013
Wow, this series actually has english voice actors... I thought I was watching the dub at the start.

Anyways, interesting premise: I don't really know what to expect from this though.
Pages (9) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 »

More topics from this board

» WHAT THE HELL WAS IN THE TRUCKS?!

Sagepool - Feb 24

7 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Feb 25, 1:19 PM

Poll: » Higashi no Eden Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

grapeofdeath - Jun 18, 2009

432 by OneMoreFinal »»
Oct 21, 2023 4:06 PM

» IS THERE ANY "HARD" EDEN OF THE EAST FANS

hitsugaya111 - Mar 22, 2018

7 by rent-free »»
Jun 16, 2023 9:43 PM

Poll: » Higashi no Eden Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

removed-user - Apr 16, 2009

245 by Euroqean »»
Mar 29, 2023 6:51 PM

Poll: » Higashi no Eden Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Bakayaro - Apr 23, 2009

201 by Skorobagatio »»
Oct 6, 2022 12:53 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.