Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 9, 2009 4:19 PM

Apr 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Nice cab.
Apr 9, 2009 4:54 PM

May 2007
So... besides the cap, how is this show?
Apr 9, 2009 5:08 PM

Apr 2009
I thought the first episode was pretty good, of course only watching the raw and not understanding 100% of it, I got quite a bit of it. It was funny and equally interesting. Cab Ass'n stands for Cab Association. The ED was interesting, all papercraft style.
Apr 9, 2009 6:07 PM

Mar 2008
I think the main guy is some kind of agent. but why do they erase his memory? it's funny he asked that guy in the suit to lend his pant, and how he liked to show his thing in front of ppl lol *the english is probably the best I ever heard*
Apr 9, 2009 6:23 PM
Apr 2008
Everything was impressive op,ed,animation and of course they actually hired english va for the english.
Apr 9, 2009 6:45 PM

Jul 2007
It's funny how this anime takes some of the more overused and cliche concepts and makes it fresh and entertaining. Though I guess that's to be expected considering the guy who's directing this.
Apr 10, 2009 12:57 AM

Mar 2009
Is it just me, or do Saki and Akira look and act exactly the same as Hagumi and Morita from Honey and Clover? It's scary how much they're are alike.
Apr 10, 2009 1:00 AM

Jul 2008
That was really, really impressive. Animation, music, the big giant WTF? What a way to end the episode, hot damn. This really reeled me in, "Akira's" story and history is something I'm most curious about. Dollhouse the anime? Saki is also pretty cute, kinda a giant ditz. Sad to find out it wasn't the cops saying "You wanna die?!" haha. To top thiings off, Akira whipped out his Johnny and Saki had some hilarious faces. The English voices were exceptional as well. Can't wait for the next episode, perfect blend of everything so far.

jens said:
Is it just me, or do Saki and Akira look and act exactly the same as Hagumi and Morita from Honey and Clover? It's scary how much they're are alike.

The mangaka who did the character designs for this published Honey & Clover, so it's no surprise really.
BakayaroApr 10, 2009 1:09 AM

"I'd suck you~" Berri||Desu Ne?
Apr 10, 2009 1:15 AM

Jan 2009
looks like gg subs are out

Apr 10, 2009 1:25 AM

Jul 2008
Gunther15 said:

But they're only doing the first episode :(

"I'd suck you~" Berri||Desu Ne?
Apr 10, 2009 1:27 AM

Jan 2009
Bakayaro said:
Gunther15 said:

But they're only doing the first episode :(

Well I don't have to worry about it for another week ^^

Apr 10, 2009 1:31 AM

Jun 2007
1st Episode was fantastic, this is one of the best so far this year.
Apr 10, 2009 1:34 AM

Dec 2007
That
was
amazing

9.5/10
Apr 10, 2009 1:44 AM

Jan 2009
Desire released better resolution
Liked episode. Phone looks cool!
Washington DC looks good and spy shop was nice.
Me put Saki as favorite character. She is nicely done with lots MOE.
Powerful messages at beginning made me cry. Don't know why. Messages are nice.

This was strange like in movie Terminator
Apr 10, 2009 1:48 AM

Mar 2007
japanme32 said:
Desire released sh*tty upscale

Fixed that for ya

(made by MistaCloudStrife ^^)
Apr 10, 2009 1:49 AM

Feb 2008
Probably the best starting episode out of all the Spring Season shows. Simply loved it! And I can't wait for more ^_^
Apr 10, 2009 1:51 AM

Jan 2009
kurotsuki said:
japanme32 said:

Fixed that for ya

So the other one is better?

kurotsuki said:
japanme32 said:
kurotsuki said:
japanme32 said:

Fixed that for ya

unless you like upscales.

Not picky so I should be ok.
English was better than one in Chrome Shell Regios.
japanme32Apr 10, 2009 1:54 AM
Apr 10, 2009 1:53 AM

Mar 2007
japanme32 said:
kurotsuki said:
japanme32 said:

Fixed that for ya

unless you like upscales.

(made by MistaCloudStrife ^^)
Apr 10, 2009 1:55 AM

Jan 2009
Not going with Desire, they don't have good reviews here.

Apr 10, 2009 1:55 AM

Jan 2009
Gunther15 said:

Sorry but they were ok with Rideback series. I support them.
Apr 10, 2009 2:05 AM

Apr 2007
I LOOOOOOVE OPPPPPPPPPPP AHHHHHHHH. I really especially loved the typography and the song haha.

Also really loved the episode. :) Definitely continuing this.

Apr 10, 2009 2:11 AM

Jan 2008
Oh shi-, love every fucking aspect of this show. The (peculiar) story, animation, OP, ED, character design, character personalities, VAs, everything.
Apr 10, 2009 2:14 AM

Jul 2007
I'm more amazed at the lack of Engrish than anything else.

But it's pretty interesting so far.
Apr 10, 2009 2:27 AM

Feb 2008
This was great. I need more.
Apr 10, 2009 2:43 AM

Feb 2009
wow... this first episode was an experience. I was amazed at the production values, OP, etc., but I had a lot of WTF moments that made me question the anime. I mean how are the english speaking individuals understanding the Japanese used by the main characters (and the phrases used are not only simple phrases like arigato, but long phrases). Another wtf moment was when the man (who seemed like a dignified businessman) gave up his pants on the street?! Also, who in their right mind would give their hat, scarf, and jacket to a man who just came up to the White House naked and with a GUN? And why would a Police officer let a person who had just showed his junk to her go if the person looked like the suspect in question?! And finally (lol) why in the world would a girl like Morimi Saki even think it would be OK to follow a person who she just met, had just flashed her multiple times, is in trouble with the cops for some reason, and does not seem to grasp the seriousness of the situation he is in? She does not even resist when he tells her to get into the taxi and seems like she is just talking to another friend as they arrive at the airport...??

lol... I think my brain is gonna fry... I am still going to keep watching the show, but man what a first episode..
Apr 10, 2009 2:47 AM

Jan 2009
Rapidfire said:
wow... this first episode was an experience. I was amazed at the production values, OP, etc., but I had a lot of WTF moments that made me question the anime. I mean how are the english speaking individuals understanding the Japanese used by the main characters (and the phrases used are not only simple phrases like arigato, but long phrases). Another wtf moment was when the man (who seemed like a dignified businessman) gave up his pants on the street?! Also, who in their right mind would give their hat, scarf, and jacket to a man who just came up to the White House naked and with a GUN? And why would a Police officer let a person who had just showed his junk to her go if the person looked like the suspect in question?! And finally (lol) why in the world would a girl like Morimi Saki even think it would be OK to follow a person who she just met, had just flashed her multiple times, is in trouble with the cops for some reason, and does not seem to grasp the seriousness of the situation he is in? She does not even resist when he tells her to get into the taxi and seems like she is just talking to another friend as they arrive at the airport...??

lol... I think my brain is gonna fry... I am still going to keep watching the show, but man what a first episode..

Ok, all I say to you is much of this is made to make fun of Americans like the black cop girl.
Apr 10, 2009 3:14 AM

Feb 2009
japanme32 said:

Ok, all I say to you is much of this is made to make fun of Americans like the black cop girl.

I figured as much lol... but still it made me think wtf in a funny sense. With all the realistic animation and detail in the production of the anime, I was initially under the impression that the story would follow a logical characterization of the cast of the anime, even the American characters. For example, I would have been fine with Takizawa Akira somehow tricking the "not-so-bright American" into giving his pants or something, but just blindly giving the pants was nothing like what I expected. But anyways, I think the show will be really interesting, funny, and hopefully with the same great animation in the coming episodes.
Apr 10, 2009 3:35 AM

Nov 2007
Few things felt odd, like that random man willing to strip off his pants for a complete stranger and the policewoman doing a suspect identification by his 'Johnny'. Other than that, kinetic typography, overall good production quality, papermation, Morita look-alike, english VAs for english speaking characters, interesting plot, whats not to like about this show?
Apr 10, 2009 3:39 AM

Jan 2009
Rapidfire said:
japanme32 said:

I figured as much lol... but still it made me think wtf in a funny sense. With all the realistic animation and detail in the production of the anime, I was initially under the impression that the story would follow a logical characterization of the cast of the anime, even the American characters. For example, I would have been fine with Takizawa Akira somehow tricking the "not-so-bright American" into giving his pants or something, but just blindly giving the pants was nothing like what I expected. But anyways, I think the show will be really interesting, funny, and hopefully with the same great animation in the coming episodes.

I understand and hope to see more of that phone and what it can do.
Apr 10, 2009 3:58 AM
Aug 2008
Best start of all shows I watch this season. Ending animation <3
Apr 10, 2009 4:16 AM

Dec 2008
Wow...The Animation simply blew me away, best animation of the Spring Animes I'd say, well the ones I'm watching anyway.

I didn't get how some of the Americans understand Japanese? Maybe they cut a few corners there.

LOL, Is it me or when the Black Cop was like "Are you Japanese?" she asked that because of Akira's *thing*, then Akira was like "It was because I was cold" HAHA Lol, Asian Stereotypes XD.

Loved the ED Animation, Well, The OP was just as fantastic. Looking forward to next episode. This + K-ON! Looking forward to the most each week.

~Abs
Apr 10, 2009 4:18 AM

Aug 2008
I enjoyed every minute of this show. Finally some freshness.

Aurakira said:
Ending animation <3
Apr 10, 2009 4:56 AM

May 2008
The production values and directing were great, but the show itself felt pretty shaky. At this point it could either end up being really good or it could completely fall apart within the next few episodes. We shall see...
Apr 10, 2009 5:03 AM

Mar 2008
The OP sung by Oasis was really cool :p, the animation is great, the characters are interesting and English sounds just like English :) Some things in the story are a bit unlikely, but I'm definitely going to follow this series.
Apr 10, 2009 5:13 AM

Aug 2007
OP was really cool :) I thought the whole English/Japanese talking thing was a bit strange, but that will probably be solved next episode when the main characters set off to Japan.

Animation was good. I liked the characters. If this keeps on for the next episodes, I will be following this for sure
Apr 10, 2009 5:25 AM

Sep 2008
The animation is really good.
I just love the depth of the backgrounds and both the OP and ED too.
Chicken + Dictionary + Dictionary = CMC. Eeyup.
Apr 10, 2009 5:25 AM

Apr 2007
Gunther15 said:

They're ok, but I have big issues with their font size.

I watched rideback with my other half, and we ended up squinting at the screen to even read half of it. No issues with their actual subbing skills, but I do have big issues with their font choices/sizes.

On the topic though, loved the first episode. Only real issue is how soul-less they made DC seem - no one was there, no bustling crowds, and just a constant lack of bustle that makes Fallout 3's version of DC look over-populated.
Apr 10, 2009 5:33 AM

Jun 2008
Some WTF moments, but still it seems interesting.
Apr 10, 2009 6:04 AM
Jul 2018
THE WHOLE SHOW WAS FUCKING SPECTACULAR!
Apr 10, 2009 6:14 AM

Oct 2008
what a great start for this anime! this will be also at my list.

Apr 10, 2009 6:30 AM

Aug 2008
Great ep. Very interesting.
Apr 10, 2009 6:42 AM

Feb 2008
Kantarou said:
Few things felt odd, like that random man willing to strip off his pants for a complete stranger and the policewoman doing a suspect identification by his 'Johnny'. Other than that, kinetic typography, overall good production quality, papermation, Morita look-alike, english VAs for english speaking characters, interesting plot, whats not to like about this show?

I also find that scene with the random guy stripping off his pants somehow odd. Like what's up with that guy willing to do that. So, I'm thinking that guy was blackmailed. Remember the main guy who assumes the name Akira was holding a gun, though in that particular scene, he wasn't pointing a gun.

Edit: Lol yeah, he threw the gun before that. How did I miss that. Well, whatever with that scene was just something minor anyway. Still gets 5/5 for an opening episode with the op/ed sequence, music, animation, being great.
darkryleApr 10, 2009 7:00 AM
Apr 10, 2009 6:47 AM

Jun 2007
That's because he threw the gun away at the White House.

As for my opinions, I'd have to echo what Mouse said earlier. It feels like an America as drawn by someone who has only ever seen it through Wikipedia. Hopefully that'll get better once the series moves back to Japan, which it looks like its about to right now.
MY FIGHT MONEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEY!
Apr 10, 2009 6:55 AM

Sep 2007
the plot seemed totally interesting so I decided to watch this
when I saw the first episode I knew i was right
It's a REALLY good show!
JOIN ZERO REQUIEM

Apr 10, 2009 7:03 AM

Mar 2008
Really good first episode. I hope gg decides to randomly sub episode 2 too :D.
Apr 10, 2009 7:16 AM

Jul 2007
Very nice to look at but the cars look dreadful to me XD.
The plot's shaping up to be rather interesting,I like the characters'interactions, rather than the characters as they are, for the time being. I'd like to know where her fixation with a prince originates from ^^.
Apr 10, 2009 7:18 AM

Jun 2007
I had high expectations for this and wasn't disappointed. Love the OP.
Apr 10, 2009 7:58 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
That was an awesome episode. Really refreshing, a shame it's only 11 eps. The animation in the OP looked awesome and the episode itself looked solid too. Really looking forward to more.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Apr 10, 2009 8:02 AM
Jul 2007
Loved the first ep.

Looking forward to 2nd! Lots of potential. :)
Apr 10, 2009 8:03 AM

Jan 2009
amazing first ep.

Pages (9) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» WHAT THE HELL WAS IN THE TRUCKS?!

Sagepool - Feb 24

7 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Feb 25, 1:19 PM

Poll: » Higashi no Eden Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

grapeofdeath - Jun 18, 2009

432 by OneMoreFinal »»
Oct 21, 2023 4:06 PM

» IS THERE ANY "HARD" EDEN OF THE EAST FANS

hitsugaya111 - Mar 22, 2018

7 by rent-free »»
Jun 16, 2023 9:43 PM

Poll: » Higashi no Eden Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

removed-user - Apr 16, 2009

245 by Euroqean »»
Mar 29, 2023 6:51 PM

Poll: » Higashi no Eden Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Bakayaro - Apr 23, 2009

201 by Skorobagatio »»
Oct 6, 2022 12:53 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.