Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Sep 2, 2019 5:22 AM
Apr 2019
luccide said:
Darklord_bg said:

Haha, yeah, true, he's not surprised in his choice, but he didn't even try to rescue him or even look for him afterwards. I guess he also knows Thorfinn is the MC :)

I thought there was a comment before that says that Askeladd was actually the main character for the series rather than Thorfinn? Not sure if that guy is trolling or being sarcastic though.

Actually at this point of time, I'm not really sure as well if Askeladd is really concerned about Thorfinn at all like what most people are interpreting. I do think you bring up some good and valid points.
Askeladd is basically the main character or main focus of this arc( which is all the first season will cover) along with Canute but Thorfinn is the mc of the series as a whole and the most development of any character in the following arcs. This arc is the series prologue.
Sep 2, 2019 5:36 AM

Feb 2014
Thorkell.....what an absolute madlad! XD

He got bored of war by siding with the winning side so often, so he sided with the English Army during the battle of London. Admittedly, it's only now that I realise just how huge Thorkell actually is. The way he attacked the Danish Army by massive boulder and logs was scary, but thrilling at the same time.

But it was the battle between Thorfinn and Thorkell that had me popping off with excitement. The animation throughout their fight was great and it showcased Thorkell's strength ans how he's unfazed by any attack that comes his way. From getting his wrist slashed, sword through the palm of his hand and even losing part of his index and pinky fingers didn't bother him that much as he smashed Thorfinn like a ragdoll.

I had to laugh at Thorkell's reaction to Thorfinn's retreat as he called out to him, saying that he hopes he fights him again. Then when the Danish Army temporarily retreated, Thorkell was actually upset that he wouldn't be fighting against him more for now and got angry. XD

Great episode overall. I hope the next episode shows us more of Canute and what he's capable of.
Sep 2, 2019 5:44 AM

May 2018
Thorkell, what a fun guy, he looks like Askeladd but more aggressive. Well, he looks like a man holding a big pencil. I love his personality, he acts like a kid who always got amazed at things, and I don't even expect that kind of personality from him. Thorfinn still got his good side, and I found it really nice that he is just not some kid who loves battles.

Sep 2, 2019 6:19 AM

Dec 2016
the animation during the fight sequence >>>

really nice soundtrack in the background there too.
AnimeFreak-San said:
is this a male gender issure...human issue...mental illness perhaps?
Sep 2, 2019 6:44 AM

Oct 2017
The fight between thorfinn and Thorkell was amazing.

Thorkell is a real monster.
Sep 2, 2019 7:05 AM

Jan 2009
Someone really should slap Bjorn for shit talking the best boi Thorkell

"oh look at me I'm mr. tough guy who likes killing and war, as you can clearly see from the fact that I'm just standing here doing nothing"

Like come on dude, just go home you're embarrassing everyone

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Sep 2, 2019 7:49 AM

Dec 2013
Marrone said:
Kamiyan3991 said:
Meh, this is way over the top. And gotta say Thorfinn is actually ruining this show. His character is dumb af, and I absolutely hate the execution of this "revenge" story. It's just same shit in every damn episode (sup, Askeladd, gonna kill you today) x98343974333 times. This show doesn't meet my expectations so far.

7.5/10
Still disappointed af.

Canute Introduction
Thorkell Introduction
War in England
Travelling to Wessex

"same shit every damn episode" cant take you seriously can I?

You said it yourself tho. They're basically travelling from place to place, meeting minor characters and doing flashy things in some absurd fights. Meanwhile, Thorfinn is experiencing his emo mode.

Yeah, it's basically same shit every episode w/o real plot involved.
I hope it gets better since right now I'm utterly disappointed with mehdiocre quality of this show.
Sep 2, 2019 8:07 AM
Apr 2019
Kamiyan3991 said:
Marrone said:

Canute Introduction
Thorkell Introduction
War in England
Travelling to Wessex

You said it yourself tho. They're basically travelling from place to place, meeting minor characters and doing flashy things in some absurd fights. Meanwhile, Thorfinn is experiencing his emo mode.

I hope it gets better since right now I'm utterly disappointed with mehdiocre quality of this show.
The acual plot of this arc stats next episode and Thorkell and Caunte are not minor characters they are both extremely important Caunte is more important in this arc then Thorfinn. The first 6 episodes where Thorfinn's flashbacks from the manga,( with episodes 5 and 6 having a lot of anime orginal content to further expand his backstory)episodes 7 and 8 where chapters 1 and 2 the introduction chapters from the manga and this episode was here to introduce Thorkell whi again is very important and not a minor character. Why you'd expect somebody who is on the show's poster,in the opening and was shown in the opening scene of the first episode( he was the guy fighting side by side with Thors ) to be a " minor" character is beyond me. Thorfinn doesn't get development till the second arc which will be season 2,the point of his character in the first arc is how that native kid with dreams was turned into this near empty shell of a person only fullied by revenge while later on the series is about him rebuilding himself and coming to understand the lesson the people in life tried to teach him and making use of them.
Lawren222Sep 2, 2019 8:26 AM
Sep 2, 2019 8:09 AM
Feb 2016
Kamiyan3991 said:
Marrone said:

Canute Introduction
Thorkell Introduction
War in England
Travelling to Wessex

I'm not sure what formula you are expecting. Probably something more akin to the dramatic flair of a more kid/teen-friendly show.

I am absolutely certain that if a show like Berserk 97' were to be aired today people would complain that "nothing was happening" and not understand that it's the journey that matters more than the destination (hence the word Saga in the title).

It's the quiet moments, like Thorfinn with a pained and twisted expression saying "What's so enjoyable about battle?"

Or Askeladd telling that naieve kid how "Everyone is a slave to something," and the slave girl telling Thorfinn that "They were in the same position," etc, etc.

The fact that you couldn't pick up on these details, or that they hold very little weight to you, means that this show just may not be for you.

There is nothing mediocre about this show. The "average" anime does not possess the same level of depth that this one does. Not even close.

The only real and legitimate critique that I will give this show is that it the weekly format doesn't seem to "fit". I believe it's a show that's meant to be enjoyed in its entirety because at the end of every episode there is no "conclusion," there is no closure since there's no "villain of the week".

Even then that critique is a reach, but that better explains the point that you're trying to make right now I imagine.
Sep 2, 2019 8:15 AM
Nov 2017
Kamiyan3991 said:
Marrone said:

Canute Introduction
Thorkell Introduction
War in England
Travelling to Wessex

Two episodes of this anime is an original episode, so it won't really progress the story, but develop the character. Then, the last two episodes before this is the beginning of the manga, which it should be an introduction. This anime takes its time to develop the story.

And then, Thorfinn isn't really that important. Canute and Askeladd are in this arc. Especially Canute, it will bring the story from revenge to political thing.
Sep 2, 2019 8:32 AM
Aug 2019
Kamiyan3991 said:
Marrone said:

Canute Introduction
Thorkell Introduction
War in England
Travelling to Wessex

I don’t get it. The most popular anime’s in world are traveling from place to place, meeting minor characters and flashy absurd fights. They actually have no real plot besides “ I wanna be hokage” or “ collect the dragon balls” . Why is it that those shows are great and this one is trash? Also, don’t say it’s because Thorfinn is a one dimensional character. All tv show or Anime characters are one dimensional until they experience the world or get taken out of their little bubbles. I’m sure at one point in your real life, you were just a one dimensional character as well
EchoAnEternitySep 2, 2019 9:25 AM
Sep 2, 2019 9:30 AM

May 2015
Kamiyan3991 said:
Marrone said:

Canute Introduction
Thorkell Introduction
War in England
Travelling to Wessex

It's not mediocre. Your criticism is just retarded.

Sep 2, 2019 9:41 AM

Jun 2019
Thorkell seems like a fun character, I'll be interested to see what happens with him next.

The fight scenes were cool, very slow as usual, but still cool. That's pretty much it though.

Another decent episode. Not really on par with the last one, but still good.
Sep 2, 2019 9:51 AM
Sep 2019
Cool episode filled with nice fight scenes. Thorkell is tough both physycally and mentally, he didn't even bat an eye to the fact that he lost some of his fingers.
It's also interresting to see the old london and I'm looking forward to learning more about Canute.
Sep 2, 2019 10:07 AM

Jul 2017
Comander-07 said:
Zehennagel said:
you can consider this as the "golden age" of berserk. but you haven't read it it seems.. so I'd say it's a "prologue" to where the story will go in the future. but as berserk, it's a 10 volumes long prologue. I don't know what's bothering you so far but from this point on I think I remember thorfinn doesn't have the biggest importance in the show until the "second part" of the manga. (chapter 60 so lets say season 2 or 3 probably). it takes a drastic change at this point but the "soul" of the manga is obviously not lost and the themes are the same.(and new ones, the story evolves, of course)

I mean it's hard to say. but you should probably follow your guts, if you don't like it so far and don't think you will, just drop it. that's what I think. but if you want to follow, I can guarentee it keeps the same spirit throughout (though again, the manga changes drastically at chapter ~60)
] I still have hope for the characters but after Vikings and the Last Kingdom this one just doesnt really stick out. The MC barely even speaks and when he does its always the same 4 words. The fights are okay-good, the visuals overall are surprisingly boring as well. I liked the beginning much more and I already had the feeling that after Thors inevitable death the series would tank for as long as the MC is in his edgy teenager phase. But maybe it gets better again. Its a seasonal airing anime, those dont really have a high standard to get watched.
najumobi said:
This episode covered Chapters 18 & 19, both post-switch.

Oh so it already happened?
the "switch" hasn't happened already, I can spoil it for you but I won't. you'll know when it does. it's about chapter 55. but this guy meant something else by "switch".

anyway, the protagonist does stay the same until what will probably be season 2/ middle of season 2 (taking for granted it also lasts 25 episodes). then he changes, and in a very interesting fashion. (btw I said 10 volumes but it's at about volume 5 that it happens).

also, this is not just some "sesonal anime", please. although I agree that the standards are lower while it is airing, this aint some little seasonal.
ZehennagelSep 2, 2019 10:12 AM
Sep 2, 2019 10:14 AM

Sep 2014
Marrone said:
Comander-07 said:
] I still have hope for the characters but after Vikings and the Last Kingdom this one just doesnt really stick out. The MC barely even speaks and when he does its always the same 4 words. The fights are okay-good, the visuals overall are surprisingly boring as well. I liked the beginning much more and I already had the feeling that after Thors inevitable death the series would tank for as long as the MC is in his edgy teenager phase. But maybe it gets better again. Its a seasonal airing anime, those dont really have a high standard to get watched.

Lol Vikings goes downhill after season 3 and doesn't represent their culture accurately. Everyone in that tv series wears leather clothes or jackets when leather was not commonly used in that period. Also other inaccuracies historically. Vinland Saga is only unrealistic in the action scenes but does everything else better. Thorfinn has the best character development in manga second to Musashi from Vagabond I'm fully caught up with the manga.
Lol its not a documentary and indeed season 3 is where it peaked. I wouldnt recommend it after the next generation takes over.

Cool I guess it gets better later then, like I expected. When does he learn to speak if we consider the current pace?

yvanedisco said:
Comander-07 said:
Has someone read the manga and can tell me when this is going to shift from shounen to seinen? Not that I dislike the show, but Im really not feeling it.

This ain't shounen in the first place.
Sorry to disappint you, but it legitely was shounen for some time.

Lawren222 said:

Thorfinn actually out grows his edgy phase but it wont happen in this prologue arc. There is a reason why he has to go through this phase thought its nessacry for his overall character arc. The rest of this arc is som going to focus more on Askeladd and Canute's characters and explore them more in depth with edgy Thorfinn taking a backseat it might get more interesting for you then.

Considering this is a double cour are we likely to see a more mature version of Thorfinn?

Zehennagel said:
Comander-07 said:

the "switch" hasn't happened already, I can spoil it for you but I won't. you'll know when it does. it's about chapter 55. but this guy meant something else by "switch".

anyway, the protagonist does stay the same until what will probably be season 2/ middle of season 2 (taking for granted it also lasts 25 episodes). then he changes, and in a very interesting fashion. (btw I said 10 volumes but it's at about volume 5 that it happens).

also, this is not just some "sesonal anime", please. although I agree that the standards are lower while it is airing, this aint some little seasonal.
Sadly it feels like a seasonal so far. Nothing is really outstanding. Except for the setting, which doesnt really benefit from being an anime so far.
Comander-07Sep 2, 2019 10:21 AM
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Sep 2, 2019 10:26 AM
Apr 2019
Comander-07 said:
Marrone said:

Lol Vikings goes downhill after season 3 and doesn't represent their culture accurately. Everyone in that tv series wears leather clothes or jackets when leather was not commonly used in that period. Also other inaccuracies historically. Vinland Saga is only unrealistic in the action scenes but does everything else better. Thorfinn has the best character development in manga second to Musashi from Vagabond I'm fully caught up with the manga.
Lol its not a documentary and indeed season 3 is where it peaked. I wouldnt recommend it after the next generation takes over.

Cool I guess it gets better later then, like I expected. When does he learn to speak if we consider the current pace?

yvanedisco said:

This ain't shounen in the first place.

Lawren222 said:

Thorfinn actually out grows his edgy phase but it wont happen in this prologue arc. There is a reason why he has to go through this phase thought its nessacry for his overall character arc. The rest of this arc is som going to focus more on Askeladd and Canute's characters and explore them more in depth with edgy Thorfinn taking a backseat it might get more interesting for you then.

Considering this is a double cour are we likely to see a more mature version of Thorfinn?
Even with the double cour this season will only be able to cover the prologue arc which lasted 54 chapters and the mature Thorfinn doesn't happen afterwards in arc 2 so sadly no but like I said once the main story for the prologue starts which is the next episode he will be more of a secondary character as Canute and Askeladd take center stage and drive the arc's plot. It's only at the end of the season that the event that will set Thorfinn on his path to eventually maturing happens. Also imo Vinland Saga>Vikings seasons 1-3(and first half of 4B minus Lagertha subplot)>The Last Kingdom > Norsemen>The rest of Vikings but I'm update with the manga and know what the story is building up too if I didnt I probably wouldn't rank it like that.
Lawren222Sep 2, 2019 11:06 AM
Sep 2, 2019 10:52 AM
Jul 2019
Thought during watching that Thorkell's voice is very similar to Bryan Hawk's from Hajime no Ippo New Challenger. Was pleased to find that it's true, they both have the same voice actor.

Great episode.
Sep 2, 2019 11:21 AM

Sep 2014
Marrone said:
Comander-07 said:

Sadly it feels like a seasonal so far. Nothing is really outstanding. Except for the setting, which doesnt really benefit from being an anime so far.
Comander-07 said:

You will get the bigger picture starting next episode. Thorfinn does not really influence the story in the prologue arc more like he tags along with the rest. Askeladd, thorkell, canute etc are the main drivers of the story and bigger protagonists.

So far 9 episodes in nearly 2 episodes were anime original so the manga is quicker at getting the story and other characters rolling. To say there is nothing outstanding is a stretch for me the dialogue (except thorfinn) is better than your average anime dialogue and production value is pretty good. Next episode onwards is when all this focus on askeladd thorfinn and thorkell will pay off. Unless they add some more anime original content and delay the main political intrigue.
Its really a stretch to say the dialogue is outstanding. They barely even talk. This aint Monogatari.
Sep 2, 2019 11:39 AM

Nov 2017
I noticed Askeladd's subtle change of character design. His receding hairline, older skin, and now his beard is starting to fall off. I like how they portrayed and emphasize even in a subtle way that time is running out for both him and Thorfinn. No obvious dialogue needed. That's what I like about this anime.

Thorfinn... I know his father never wanted it, his resolved to bring his father justice all on his own hard work and determination, which if anything show a higher level of maturity than just caving in and letting grief and depression consume him like any other child would, hes fighting back and not giving up, is there any better way to show manliness?

And Thorkell, what an absolute unit. He's another interesting fella I look forward too. Dang so many potential waifus this anime.
Sep 2, 2019 11:48 AM

Oct 2016
-I feel like Askeladd's gonna push Thorfinn a bit too hard one day. But I guess that's what he wants.
-I really liked the whole exchange between Floki and Thorkell. Thorkell's going to be a very unpredictable character.
-Speaking of which, I know this show overexaggerates often, but I wonder just how strong and tall the real Thorkell The Tall was. Obviously not THIS strong.
-I wish the battles were less Shonen, to be honest.
-I did like how Thorkell was completely brushing aside the fact that his fingers had just been chopped off.
-The nature in this anime is always so eye-catching. I REALLY wish Wit would adapt Berserk.
-I'm kind of excited to see some action from Cnut. He's just kind of been in the back this whole time.
Overall, it was a fine episode.

miguitronik said:
axel360 said:
Thorkell may or may not be human. No person that's ever existed on this planet is picking up and throwing that boulder.

Paul anderson is recorded as having lifted 2.85 tons, plus this is an anime (based on history yes, but lets not forget blonde sasuke doing some absolute ninja shit).

Anyway, pretty good episode, with a specially well done fight. I want to see more of te giant.

This was 1000 years ago. Bodybuilding has changed over the years. Most of the strength vikings had came from their trade, whereas bodybuilders have techniques in building muscle. The vikings were ferocious, no doubt, but this is something else. It is an anime though, so overexaggeration is to be expected.

magictuch said:
Lelouch0202 said:

It sounds like he knows Thors, I wonder if he personally knew Thors. Would be interesting to see their past interactions if they had any.

Thorkell briefly appeared in the openning battle sequence of episode 1. He's the dude who choped entire ship's crew with one swing of his axe and later conversed with Thors about the course of the battle while covering from the incoming arrows.

Now that is interesting. Thanks for pointing that out!

-Aincrad- said:
Now I'm starting to understand why I feel like something is missing from this anime

It's good so far, the story really is good, the animation looks great, but I'm still not impressed

Soundtrack is what this anime is missing so far
Except for the opening, we haven't heard any good soundtrack in the anime so far, which is quite a shame, since for many, including me it's important in anime(for me it's actually the most important)

I agree that OSTs are important, but I think this anime has done well enough. It's nothing stellar like Attack On Titan's OST, but there have been a few tracks that have caught my ear.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WawLpkE6vQ
Try listening to 10:23 or 15:59. The video isn't the highest quality, but I don't think we have an official release yet.

Zehennagel said:
Comander-07 said:
Has someone read the manga and can tell me when this is going to shift from shounen to seinen? Not that I dislike the show, but Im really not feeling it.
you can consider this as the "golden age" of berserk. but you haven't read it it seems.. so I'd say it's a "prologue" to where the story will go in the future. but as berserk, it's a 10 volumes long prologue. I don't know what's bothering you so far but from this point on I think I remember thorfinn doesn't have the biggest importance in the show until the "second part" of the manga. (chapter 60 so lets say season 2 or 3 probably). it takes a drastic change at this point but the "soul" of the manga is obviously not lost and the themes are the same.(and new ones, the story evolves, of course)

I mean it's hard to say. but you should probably follow your guts, if you don't like it so far and don't think you will, just drop it. that's what I think. but if you want to follow, I can guarentee it keeps the same spirit throughout (though again, the manga changes drastically at chapter ~60)

>you can consider this as the "golden age" of berserk
>I mean it's hard to say. but you should probably follow your guts
I see what you did there.

LalatinaDarkness said:
I noticed Askeladd's subtle change of character design. His receding hairline, older skin, and now his beard is starting to fall off. I like how they portrayed and emphasize even in a subtle way that time is running out for both him and Thorfinn. No obvious dialogue needed. That's what I like about this anime.

Thorfinn... I know his father never wanted it, his resolved to bring his father justice all on his own hard work and determination, which if anything show a higher level of maturity than just caving in and letting grief and depression consume him like any other child would, hes fighting back and not giving up, is there any better way to show manliness?

And Thorkell, what an absolute unit. He's another interesting fella I look forward too. Dang so many potential waifus this anime.

>I noticed Askeladd's subtle change of character design. His receding hairline, older skin, and now his beard is starting to fall off. I like how they portrayed and emphasize even in a subtle way that time is running out for both him and Thorfinn. No obvious dialogue needed. That's what I like about this anime.
You have a good eye there.
Yeah, Wit does a really good job of "show don't tell". It's very apparent In Attack On Titan as well.

Sep 2, 2019 12:00 PM
Apr 2016
We will be New Types, but this flag waving sound template will still be played throughout the universe.
Re:formed
Sep 2, 2019 12:11 PM

Aug 2011
Good episode.
but.. meeeh. The guy Thorkill or whatever, what's wrong with him?
I hate when they create overpowered characters that does not care for their body (here: fingers).
It's juste not realistic at all
Sep 2, 2019 12:25 PM
Apr 2016
Badid55 said:
Good episode.
but.. meeeh. The guy Thorkill or whatever, what's wrong with him?
I hate when they create overpowered characters that does not care for their body (here: fingers).
It's juste not realistic at all

Scientifically, retards with body overgrowth have been proven to be real. But still, quite a retarded idea to "create" such a character into 1000s.
I mean, people do see the "artistic value" over historical and logical accuracy is getting out of hand, right??

It's not
TsukuyomiREKT said:
just retarded

Here ya go bro just yer friendly forum realist-man.
Daniel_NaumovSep 2, 2019 12:32 PM
Re:formed
Sep 2, 2019 12:27 PM

Jul 2016
Well, I may not have Iskandar this season but at least, Thorkell can cover that spot. Ootsuka Akio sure knows how to voice big likeable dudes.

Nice episode overall. Thorkell's fight against Thorfinn was really enjoyable to watch. He sure is a madman and I can't wait to see more of him since I find him quite entertaining as a character. Not to mention that I also hope we can receive more insight into his relationship with Thors when they were on the same side.

And on the other hand, Canute has me a bit intrigued as well if I'm honest. I wonder how the show will develop his character...
Sep 2, 2019 3:05 PM

Mar 2017
Short_Circut said:

I do hope we get to see more of Thorfinn actually....doing something, like the part with the old lady. idk, seeing him just fight a bit and angrily stare at Askeladd is kinda getting stale

Well said. Their interactions are just getting repetitive at this point.
Sep 2, 2019 3:07 PM

Jul 2013
Zehennagel said:
Illyricus said:
I wanted to protect his smile. Probably one of the best waifus of the season.
:( I don't know if you've read the manga but minor spoiler ahead (realy minor but you can chose not to read if you want)
anyway he's clearly best girl in this show and probably season and my favourite character in this manga. you'll love him and see him again, and I can guarentee there will be some GREAT(and some hilarious] scenes with him!
Oh, reading that made me both sad and happy.
Sep 2, 2019 4:41 PM

Jul 2016
Good episode, Thorkell is strong. Thorfinn lose the battle but he escape and cut his opponent fingers. The battle in London bridge continues, but the main army divert to other city. And Canute commanding the 4000 soldiers to continue the siege in London. Overall its build up episode. To the next episode

Sep 2, 2019 5:39 PM

Aug 2015
This episode had an interesting fight. Felt bad for Thorfinn when he got injured. Thorkell was pretty amazing too. Wonder if Askeladd is afraid of fighting Thorkell. Hope Thorfinn learns the lesson of not fighting head-on.
Sep 2, 2019 6:27 PM

Dec 2012
I was hoping Thorkell would be a more balanced character, but he seems to be the typical muscle head stereotype...
Sep 3, 2019 1:11 AM

Nov 2014
Finally Thorfinn understands his father's belief. There's nothing fun about war.

Looks like we'll be seeing Canute next eps. Can't wait.

Thorkell truly is a beast. What a man. My new hero right there.

Mich666 said:
Hm. Can't really say I enjoyed this epiode. I'm already hate Thorfinn edgy "kill you" attitude towards the Askeldadd, he is still that anoying little brat he was before. And he would be dead if being beaten so much (like any other common soldier in this series, only he still has plot armor). His hurr hurr approach to almost every battle would already gotten him killed a long time ago.

I don't see anything wrong with wanting to kill your father's murderer
Sep 3, 2019 1:41 AM

Jan 2019
Albi-kun said:
I was hoping Thorkell would be a more balanced character, but he seems to be the typical muscle head stereotype...

That's my dad dude, don't insult my dad like that.
Sep 3, 2019 3:42 AM

Apr 2018
Damn that fight with Thorkell was amazing. Thorkell sure looks like an interesting character. He seems to know Thors and could possible have a relation with him looking at their names
Sep 3, 2019 3:46 AM

Apr 2018
Yeah finally my favorite character is here. And It feels so good seeing thorfinn getting rekt by thorkell lol. Can't wait for another thorfinn vs thorkell.
Sep 3, 2019 4:41 AM

Dec 2013
Thorkell was the star of the episode.

The fight with Thorfinn and Thorkell was badass! Poor Thorfinn tried but Thorkell is too badass for him.

I like how casually Thorkell waved goodbye despite his missing fingers.
Sep 3, 2019 5:17 AM

Jul 2016
Kamiyan3991 said:
Marrone said:

Canute Introduction
Thorkell Introduction
War in England
Travelling to Wessex

Then stop watching it.
Sep 3, 2019 5:18 AM

Jul 2016
Shirai-chan said:
Damn that fight with Thorkell was amazing. Thorkell sure looks like an interesting character. He seems to know Thors and could possible have a relation with him looking at their names

They were fighting together when Thors went missing in the first scene of the first episode and they mention Floki as well. I assume they were like the three leaders of the jomvikings.
Sep 3, 2019 8:07 AM

Feb 2019
The hell, Thorkell? that guy's a beast

My poor boy Thorfinn got destroyed, it was heartbreaking to watch.
Sep 3, 2019 8:29 AM
Feb 2016
Marrone said:
Comander-07 said:
Its really a stretch to say the dialogue is outstanding. They barely even talk. This aint Monogatari.

Nono the amount of dialogue isn't a marker of quality. I'm referring to the way they talk - anime dialogue tends to be cringey on many occasions with cheesy lines and characters feeling like robots rather than having a sense of two characters having a conversation when talking to each other. Monogatari doesn't set the standard for dialogue just because they talk a lot. It's good though.

Yea, I'm not sure what that other guy is talking about. I wouldn't even say that Monogatari is the "standard" for anime dialogue especially because, like you said, anime itself is a medium in which sometimes certain words, phrases, references and jokes can get lost in translation so it makes us cringe.

I think good anime dialogue isn't just "good for anime," it's so good that it's universal.

Askeladd saying that "We're all a slave to something" is better dialogue than most other anime have ever produced. And it's just one line. There is so much depth in that one simple line.
Sep 3, 2019 9:28 AM

Sep 2014
Marrone said:
Comander-07 said:

Nono the amount of dialogue isn't a marker of quality. I'm referring to the way they talk - anime dialogue tends to be cringey on many occasions with cheesy lines and characters feeling like robots rather than having a sense of two characters having a conversation when talking to each other. Monogatari doesn't set the standard for dialogue just because they talk a lot. It's good though.
Yes yes it certainly is. And the few things they do say arent outstanding either. Google the word.

But lmao your "opinion" is officially worthless anyway since you think Monogotari dialogue is only good because they talk a lot. WTF how even.

@Chainxbastard monogatari isnt the standard lmao. Its the standard for "outstanding". And this here is simply not.

Necessary r/im14andthisisdeep The example you just gave is cringe and bad dialogue.
Sep 3, 2019 10:18 AM

May 2015
Comander-07 said:
Marrone said:

Yes yes it certainly is. And the few things they do say arent outstanding either. Google the word.

But lmao your "opinion" is officially worthless anyway since you think Monogotari dialogue is only good because they talk a lot. WTF how even.

@Chainxbastard monogatari isnt the standard lmao. Its the standard for "outstanding". And this here is simply not.

Necessary r/im14andthisisdeep The example you just gave is cringe and bad dialogue.
lol monogatari dialogue oustanding,just the line everyone is a slave to something is better than all the dialogues in monogatari combined and it's not even the best dialogue in vinland saga.
Sep 3, 2019 11:12 AM

Sep 2014
nanashi796 said:
Comander-07 said:

lol monogatari dialogue oustanding,just the line everyone is a slave to something is better than all the dialogues in monogatari combined and it's not even the best dialogue in vinland saga.
lol your "opinion" is officially worthless now. Biased people like you shouldnt be allowed to formulate their misbeliefs.
Sep 3, 2019 11:34 AM

Jul 2014
What a fight!! seriously this anime gets even better every episode !!
Sep 3, 2019 4:52 PM

Oct 2016
I love the retort King Sweyn made against christianity. It's perfectly fitting. But if he really cared about his son and knew already he would become weak because of Ragnar's teachings, he would've never allowed Ragnar to teach Canute. No real Norse would anyway.

The retort and the battle were the best parts of the episode. Did the opponent even feel pain? He didn't seem to.
Sep 3, 2019 5:13 PM
Jun 2015
_Peksi said:
Someone really should slap Bjorn for shit talking the best boi Thorkell

"oh look at me I'm mr. tough guy who likes killing and war, as you can clearly see from the fact that I'm just standing here doing nothing"

Like come on dude, just go home you're embarrassing everyone
Uhhh no. That's best girl!
Sep 3, 2019 5:18 PM
Jun 2015
Marrone said:
Kamiyan3991 said:

Lmao Canute and Thorkell are not minor characters. If you cannot recognise how important characters are introduced in a story then there is no point in discussing further. It seems as if you prefer the plot being shoved down your throat like most garbage anime than characters being developed so that you care about the plot revolving around these characters when it kicks in.

God knows how people would react to a Vagaond anime adaptation with brain dead audiences going 'no plot' since it's follows Musashi's journey. Better off for these seinen to not get adapted in the first place.
I'd probably just bitch about the art I'd Vagabond ever got animated cuz no way in Hell are they getting that right lmao.
Sep 3, 2019 8:16 PM

Oct 2013
Great episode in everything, starting from beautiful visuals (as always) through great animation (as always) and music (as always)... It's pointless to enumerate every good elements of this episode. It's better to say: it was great (as always). ;-)

Thorkell is tough as hell! And a mad lad as well. He is not worried about his hand pierced through and his two fingers that were cut off by Thorfinn (let's not forget that one small infection can cause a lot of problems, including death).

Thorfinn wanted to outsmart Thorkell somehow and use his acrobatic moves, but it was nothing in front of that giant. Thorkell's might was spectacular both when he fought regular troops and when he fought with Thorfinn. Or rather had fun, 'cause he didn't take it as seriously as Thors' son thought he would.

Seriously injured and humiliated Thorfinn joins main army on its march towards lands of Wessex. He was not only defeated and injured, but failed Askeladd who promised another duel after getting Thorkell's head.

I'm wondering what's gonna happen in Wessex... Thorkell won't leave his post, most likely, so it's rather not possible for him to talk again with Thorfinn about Thors. It would be cool if they were to talk in one of the next episodes.
Sep 3, 2019 11:52 PM

Jan 2019
Kamiyan3991 said:
Marrone said:

Canute Introduction
Thorkell Introduction
War in England
Travelling to Wessex

God damn do I want to spoil every single detail about this series to you right now. Every single little part.
Sep 4, 2019 3:14 AM

Dec 2013
ChainxBastard said:
I'm not sure what formula you are expecting. Probably something more akin to the dramatic flair of a more kid/teen-friendly show.

Not having to watch this edgy kid would be enough. Srsly, I thought that his character might be interesting, but he f* refuse to turn off his emo-mode.

ChainxBastard said:
I am absolutely certain that if a show like Berserk 97' were to be aired today people would complain that "nothing was happening" and not understand that it's the journey that matters more than the destination (hence the word Saga in the title).

Oh, rly? I watched old Berserk like 2 years ago and it was very good. You're lookin' for excuses, but Saga is just MEH so far. And I really hate your usual "it gets better". Berserk was good right from the start.

ChainxBastard said:
It's the quiet moments, like Thorfinn with a pained and twisted expression saying "What's so enjoyable about battle?"

Or Askeladd telling that naieve kid how "Everyone is a slave to something," and the slave girl telling Thorfinn that "They were in the same position," etc, etc.

So deep. I feel like I'm drowning
Actually that "position" part was quite stupid, since she didn't even know him lol. What a mind-reader!

ChainxBastard said:
The fact that you couldn't pick up on these details, or that they hold very little weight to you, means that this show just may not be for you.

Yeah, I definitely couldn't pick up on random talks you hear everywhere.
You got me good, dear sir.

ChainxBastard said:
There is nothing mediocre about this show. The "average" anime does not possess the same level of depth that this one does. Not even close.

Everything about this was mehdiocre so far. Especially eps 1-3 vel Resident Sleeper.

Btw, you folks keep talking about "depth" of this show, yet all I can see right now is:

*random talking
*cheap slavery dilemma;
*cheap brute force fights (looks more like shounen);
*edgy, annoying MC.

Quite far from "deep", I'd say.
Still not a bad show though. Only overhyped/overrated.
Kamiyan3991Sep 4, 2019 3:19 AM
Sep 4, 2019 4:45 AM

Jul 2017
The battle of London Bridge. A crucial point where everyone can reap high benefits, but is shielded by Thorkell the Tall in partnership wíth the English Army. For someone sane as Floki, talking him into surrender was a choice, but it was the worst choice.

But Thorfinn being himself, he'd always go in for the kill irregardless. As always, he'd fail, but will inch another day. Askeladd's army suffered lots, and the King has to make amends with the Jomsvikings, to raise his son Canute's position into the warzone.

The battle is not over...

operationvalkyri said:
"That madman... What's s o enjoyable about battle?"

This sums up Thorkell as a whole, and the present state of Thorfinn in distress about battle.

Great episode! Lots of fun.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2019

815 by Max_REDDED »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2019

262 by Ronin_Alx »»
Sep 17, 6:00 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 28, 2019

410 by Mglasses »»
Sep 10, 4:12 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2019

356 by siluthfi_ »»
Sep 5, 4:36 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 24, 2019

329 by Artromex »»
Aug 14, 6:36 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.