Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Aug 7, 2019 1:40 AM
Jun 2016
2ego said:
How goddamn naive everyone in that village is, thinking war will be all flowers and fun.. I presume he's making those guys attack Thor in order to test Thor? To see whether he's going to be able to fight after his long hiatus?

I think it's because none of them have participated in a war before. That black-haired kid with the cocky attitude is either gonna learn a painful lesson or die because he's pasting red flags all over himself.
Aug 8, 2019 3:17 AM

Oct 2016
A Viking celebrating the "birth of Jesus Christ". Must be some kind of inside joke. A terrible one. Mead > wine. In fact, toward the end of the episode, they can see warriors having "fun" with a monk/friar.

So far the plot seems to be paced well in this anime, unlike some other recent productions that have a weird and confusing pace. Let's see where the plot leads us!
Aug 8, 2019 6:03 AM
Jul 2019
TrueDragonPrince said:
A Viking celebrating the "birth of Jesus Christ". Must be some kind of inside joke. A terrible one. Mead > wine. In fact, toward the end of the episode, they can see warriors having "fun" with a monk/friar.

So far the plot seems to be paced well in this anime, unlike some other recent productions that have a weird and confusing pace. Let's see where the plot leads us!

Idk if this spoiler or no but Leif was already converted to christian by that time
Aug 8, 2019 6:25 AM

Oct 2016
It's a spoiler but don't worry about it. I was being sarcastic.
Aug 12, 2019 4:36 PM

Nov 2015
i wonder why he wants Thors to be killed hmm..
villagers are so cute hahaha, reminds me a bit of Sokka from "The Legend of Aang"
Great pacing so far.

4/5
Aug 19, 2019 12:31 AM

Jul 2016
Well, I guess despite living in such hard times, you can still be an annoying brat. I know Thorfinn is 6 and all but he really should listen to what his father says.

Overall, nice build up episode. I'm finding Thors' character and the way he's written quite interesting so far. Sadly, based on that last scene, it seems things won't end up well for him so I guess I should enjoy his character as much as I can before the inevitable happens.
Aug 20, 2019 9:56 AM

Dec 2018
Dont like Thors,, cowards have no place in Valhalla,,

But never mind him we are going to invade fucking England YEES!!! For plundering raping take slaves and murder some Christians!! ,Like the good old days =) This anime got my viking blood to boil =P Love it,,And i really really hope they are going to have Shield Maidens in this YEES!!!!!

Yuri-CrusaderAug 21, 2019 2:20 AM
Sep 3, 2019 1:32 PM
Jan 2018
the original plan was to watch episode 2 and 3 weekly when they aired so i didnt have to wait 2-3 weeks for episode 4 , but things came up preventing me from doing that so now im catching up .

anyway i guessing the scar face dude wants thors dead due to him being a deserter ? or something bigger

anyway for kids they sure are taking the meaning for war too lightly then agian i guess kids in those ages where taught about honer in the battlefield etc
Mattinator95Sep 3, 2019 1:36 PM
Sep 10, 2019 9:52 AM

Jul 2013
So all of a sudden Thors had some sort of an epiphany and didn't want to kill anymore? When, assuming, he did that kind of shit for a good portion of his life? Ok. Thorfinn is an annoying brat.
Sep 10, 2019 10:30 AM
Aug 2019
PrimeX said:
So all of a sudden Thors had some sort of an epiphany and didn't want to kill anymore? When, assuming, he did that kind of shit for a good portion of his life? Ok. Thorfinn is an annoying brat.

He’s a warrior that killed people for a long time. Young Thorfinn is the embodiment of Viking pride, which makes him comes off as annoying or stupid because it was. Thorfinn is a character that the author wants you to hate so, you can see how stupid, foolish and idiotic it is to live a life of viking pride.
Nov 18, 2019 11:41 AM
EOussama

Dec 2016
The backstabbing has already begun? It is going to be a massacre, isn't it? God, I wish the villagers don't get dragged into this.
It's so strange to see the world of today, where people are scared from the poke of a needle, and these people throw parties when war is declared, truely strange that it leaves you wondering what the people from a thousand years from now will say about us. That is if humanity still has that long to go for.
Dec 2, 2019 1:14 PM

Aug 2017
So, Floki wants Thors dead after threatening him to join the war. I like how Thorfinn's character is developing.

Good episode.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Dec 24, 2019 4:22 PM

Dec 2015
Wait, whaaaaaaat. I thought they agreed on Thors joining the war? Did they not forgive him for deserting after all?
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Jan 10, 2020 7:20 AM

Mar 2015
Oh no, only bad things to Thors from here on out!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Jan 11, 2020 1:06 PM

Feb 2016
Jomsvikings are kinda cool.
I'm just really sad that Thors will die, like what the hell, he's such a great character. Intro of Ep1 totally made him a badass.
But I guess you can't escape the summary on MAL "Among the chaos, Thorfinn must take his revenge and kill the man who murdered his father, Askeladd".......

I wonder what Floki actually has against him? The desertion can't be the actual reason, no? Would anyone mind explaining? Wouldn't have minded a series with Thors as protagonist, goddamnit.
Jan 18, 2020 10:53 AM

Nov 2012
I do think Thors is kind of being hypocrite to Thorfinn like he can preach his pacifist ideals but still understand the importance of strength in a world filled with war and help him by teaching his son to defend himself.

Definitely excited for whats to come, hope Thorfinn gets enough development to become likeable!
I have a third testicle that gives me psychic powers
Feb 18, 2020 12:01 AM

Dec 2012
It really hits hard when you see the young & inexperienced glorifying war unaware of the true carnage it bears.
Mar 2, 2020 11:10 AM

Mar 2019
I like how they aren't throwing Thorfinn's childhood as a flashback and they are actually giving it a 3-4 episodes.The story is great,but damn,Floki is a bastard.
Come on man,where is that Noragami season 3 masterpiece.We want it, Bones!

Mar 9, 2020 8:32 AM

Apr 2016
Seeing how everyone in the village jumps for joy at the thought of going to war only proves how oblivious they are. I guess they're in for a rude awakening.
Apr 1, 2020 10:39 AM

Dec 2019
Lol everyone in that village was happy about going to war, boy they are wrong, and i knew there was something fishy with that Floki guy.
                                                         🖤   

Apr 19, 2020 11:41 PM
Discord Moderator
Divine Protector

Sep 2019
Heartbreaking seeing Thorfin not taking on board what Thor's was saying to him. Looks like things are gonna get bad pretty soon!
Apr 27, 2020 8:41 PM
Apr 2018
Boy, aren't the villagers going to be slaughtered in the next episodes.

I bet Thors already knows what's going to happen. He must know the Vikings better than anyone else
May 3, 2020 11:23 AM

May 2016
He ran away from the Jomsvikings to cast his violent old life aside and have a fresh start where he can finally settle down and have a peaceful life but his past's caught up to him... Floki's hired Askellad to kill Thors probably because he was really pissed off at him for running away in the middle of a battle just to live a life that's the opposite of the Viking lifestyle and seeing how brutal his men are, it looks like things won't end pretty.

A village that's never been in a war for decades being excited for finally being in one; I guess they're in for a ride when they realize that only the strong can get into Valhalla once shit hits the fan.

Jun 1, 2020 9:39 AM
Sep 2018
A good start and a very good episode for me
Jul 1, 2020 9:01 PM
Aug 2017
This fuck bih Floki
Jul 4, 2020 2:11 PM

Mar 2010
Great episode thors was smart to leave but at the same time he should have hidden a bit better in terms of being a bit further from shore.. I guess its no escaping his destiny.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Aug 15, 2020 4:26 AM

Feb 2013
I'm glad I didn't live during those times, not fun to "play" with swords and everybody wants to go to war.
Sep 12, 2020 10:06 PM
Oct 2019
Worst trade in history :3
Anyways, this anime seems pretty dark. Is this anime worth watching?
Oct 2, 2020 5:43 PM
Oct 2019
Now this was a great episode. Three Florki double cross at the end was "ohhh shit" worthy.

I respect what Third is/was trying to do. War and death are cruel. It's not the ideal life. But, like in most cultures, and certainly Viking culture, it's highly celebrated. No wonder Thors whole village was excited by the prospect. And they'll all be shitting their pants and dead by the time they encounter those mercenaries. (Will Thors be able to save everyone?)

Thorfinn getting a bad attitude. Sigh. Like many kids probably would at that age, given the circumstances, and his obvious youthful ignorance.
Dec 29, 2020 2:00 AM

Jul 2015
Sad to see the villagers especially the young ones idolizing war without understanding the consequences like Thors does.

Jun 16, 2021 12:22 AM

Jun 2020
An assassination just embarked

Seems a possible enemy just landed in the village well an old companion at least

Thorfinn has a lot to witness since he's still at a young age, I like the story so far building up Thorfinn while he's just still a child.
Jul 14, 2021 10:20 AM

Jan 2021
Why would they do all this just to kill Thors they are the strongest army so if he abandoned them they should deal with him not some other cheap army
Jul 31, 2021 4:09 AM

Apr 2013
So that dude with the apparently strongest army in the north recruits him and then hires some thug-looking dudes to kill him? He could've just done that himself if he's such a bigshot lol
Sep 24, 2021 4:12 PM

Mar 2016
The war is steadily approaching, no veterans are safe from the recruitment process and no young men are safe from the excitement and hype it brings to indulge in their most carnal and feral of desires. It's a pity, these young men of the Icelandic village has lived a life so peaceful that they know nothing of the horrifying nature that war brings to them all. They'll experience first-hand soon of the brutality of war. Thors as the one sole hero of the island knew this all too well... And it's time he return to battle where he'll apparently be assassinated.

Knowing tragedy is about to come sooner or later, I hope the mother and sister, Ylva doesn't get into anything. Hopefully, they stay safe in Iceland.
Nov 13, 2021 9:02 AM
Nov 2020
This reminds me of attack on titan,when the soldiers thought it would be easy killing titans until they saw what they were like i am getting the same vibe here
Nov 22, 2021 6:33 PM

Jun 2020
bri'ish mfs always gotta b fucken shid up 🤢🤢😡
Dec 4, 2021 10:42 AM
Aug 2017
that backstabbing son of a bitch

fucking snake
Dec 6, 2021 3:28 AM

Aug 2018
Good worldbuilding so far and really interesting focus on Thors and Thorfinnn characters too
Jan 4, 2022 9:24 AM

Jun 2019
It was pretty interesting to see their love for war in this episode. Also, Thorfinn is a brat for now cuz he's a child but I'm more concerned about Thors since he might be in danger from what it looks like.
Jan 5, 2022 6:25 AM

Dec 2007
sadly, the whole opening and the overall theme is preparing us for thor's dead. really like him, the anime is building slowly but safely for us to like his character.

but though the "slow" pace, there's no really boring moment in the anime so far.
Apr 21, 2022 6:58 AM

May 2021
Just look at them being excited for war. Can't blame them since you usually only hear of exciting stuff in stories of war.

Also, seems like we're heading towards a potential Thor death which might motivate Thorfinn to pick up the sword.

Aug 1, 2022 7:10 AM

Jul 2021
Holy shit this was so fucking intense.

I'm really hoping Thor doesn't end up dying so early in this anime. But if I had to guess maybe he will end up dying, for Thorfinn's character development and giving him enemies. Of course, I'll be very happy if it doesn't go in such a predictable way.

Just let my man Thor live in peace, that's what he wishes for the most, but I guess Karma is coming for him, no murderer will get to leave a peaceful life no matter how much they have changed.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Aug 9, 2022 9:47 PM
Jun 2022
Just started, So far so good!
Sep 2, 2022 9:30 PM

Jul 2013
Well that makes so much more sense now. So what we saw at the very beginning of the first episode was Thors fighting in a war when he realized, that he didn't want to kill or be killed and faked his death. The Jomsvikings definitely mean business. How even did they find out that Thors was living in such a small village? Seems kinda suss. Not sure how people feels about Floki, but I can't stand this guy. Especially with that ending. Seems like Jomsvikings never forget and never forgive.

Crazy to see how much everyone is looking forward to war. I guess if you've never experienced it in first hand you'll have this kind of reaction.

Also what was Thorfinn thinking hurting the other kids and grabbing one of his fathers swords? I know he's still a child, but he knows even less what war or killings means than the young guy in Thors village.
I have a very bad feeling about Thors. He might be strong, but something tells me that he won't make it out alive which will serve as fuel for Thorfinn's revenge. I really hope I'm wrong with this.

Sep 19, 2022 7:03 AM
Apr 2018
So good, absolutely amazing episode with the tension, twists and character development :)
Oct 17, 2022 8:33 PM

Jan 2016
Still an interesting story. I just came here to say Ylva is one fine girl. I guess I'll forever find little kids annoying in anime. Thorfinn is no exception.

After that ending scene of "Kill Thors", I predict that the story will go as follows: Thors gets killed and the story will be about Thorfinn seeking to avenge his father's death.
Sulfur2Oct 17, 2022 8:40 PM
Nov 5, 2022 12:20 AM
Nov 2022
Cant wait to go to war!
Dec 14, 2022 8:13 AM

Dec 2022
Well, war has come knocking on Thors's door - if he doesn't want his village to get destroyed he has no choice but to rejoin the jomsvikings. But it seems as if this is a setup and Floki is conspiring against him. After learning that Thor's (Thors the Troll) is one of the great of a hero he was, he's trying to grow up quick and wants to join in the upcoming battle. Great episode again.

Dec 22, 2022 12:58 AM

Nov 2020
I wonder why do they want Thorrs dead. Could it be cuz he deserted the battlefield?
Dec 28, 2022 1:45 PM
Jun 2021
They planning on killing Thors
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2019

804 by Xeehad »»
Jun 9, 12:47 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 1, 2019

175 by Xeehad »»
Jun 9, 7:51 AM

» Mulanjyou sounds different on Apple Music

Raionshin19 - Jun 3

20 by Raionshin19 »»
Jun 6, 8:19 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2019

272 by MainAxe9880 »»
Jun 5, 3:00 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 22, 2019

188 by FarCritical »»
Jun 4, 2:46 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.