Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Oct 21, 2016 8:03 AM

Dec 2015
bastek66 said:
Masked Cocona's martial arts poses were from Jackie Chan's movie

oh cool, from Drunken Master. I've seen that movie like 5 times and I still didn't get that reference :p
Oct 21, 2016 9:34 AM

Dec 2015
@Sapewloth Oh, I didn't even think about the recent alterations of MM and SW. XD
Oct 21, 2016 10:12 AM

Apr 2014
amazing ep, not only can the go super they also have mahou shoujo transformations as well god i love this series

also now come to find out that other girl is a part of some shady group figures smh but anyway great ep looking forward to more
"one step at a time"
Oct 21, 2016 10:45 AM

Mar 2014
Wow One Episode tons of references
beside the Mad Max, Sailor Moon etc.

that Cannon is Power Rangers cannon fire well only 2 person manage to use it though
Oct 21, 2016 11:25 AM

Jan 2010
I have no idea what just happened, but I simply LOVED it!!
Oct 21, 2016 11:51 AM

Aug 2009
Each week this keeps getting better. The story and the characters are really interesting, it's really good to have an anime not relying on infodumps and giant explanations. It's like ConRevo and JinTai, and that's really good!

It's a show about illusions (kinda dream like), that's all we need to know right now. With that we get a super creative show with lots of freedom to the writers and animators to have fun with. And I'm having fun with them.

Watching Not-Precure fight a sexy Gainax-styled villain in a Mad Max world is simply amazing.
Oct 21, 2016 11:58 AM

Jul 2015
Every new world is like a treat, I love anime with some fantasy or even surrealism.
Oct 21, 2016 12:55 PM

Oct 2011
The art and the animation in action scenes in this anime are gorgeous, goddamn. I'm glad I picked up this to watch. No regrets.

Dimentioluc said:
Each week this keeps getting better. The story and the characters are really interesting, it's really good to have an anime not relying on infodumps and giant explanations.

Exactly my thoughs.
Oct 21, 2016 2:08 PM

Jun 2013
that was so random but good
Oct 21, 2016 6:13 PM

Nov 2014
this episode was random as hell but it did give some hints about wich direction we are heading
Oct 21, 2016 8:40 PM

Mar 2014
i can feel the passion and love from animators in this episode
Oct 21, 2016 10:22 PM

Oct 2012
What manner of glorious Pure Illusions did I just witness

Yayaka reveals her affiliation with the other party, and Kokona's grandma is still plenty conspicuous
Oh and references. Lots of them xD

Overall though this was a gosh darn enjoyable episode, I caught myself smiling a lot this ep
"If I don't have to do it, I won't. If I have to do it, I'll make it quick."
- Oreki Houtarou
Oct 22, 2016 12:09 AM

Dec 2009
Going to say it again, I love this show's ambience and sound effects.
Oct 22, 2016 1:34 AM

Feb 2014
This show is such a blast.

Its got a bit of everything honestly. The animation is just phenomenal, and the crazy plot and animation reminds me of a Trigger show. So good! And the ED is great, the visuals and music remind of Alice in Wonderland.

I loved the Mad Max vibe and there was even KKK vibes, and this show certainly isn't hunky-dory. The BDSM people were weird and spooky, and certainly added to malice of the monster girl (I loved her, too bad she died so soon).

Things just kind of happen and characters can be all over the place, but it works well with this type of a show that is zany and wild.

Can't wait for more. One of favs of the season.
Oct 22, 2016 4:43 AM

Jun 2014
How is this even possible? This show came out from nowhere and it has Space Dandy, OPM and Mob Psycho levels of sakuga, amazing! I guess the director knows how to bring the best talents to work on it. It baffles me that this even exists right now, this is like a super oddity. It's super trippy and weird, colorful, action packed and fun.
:3
Oct 22, 2016 4:50 AM

May 2014
Ok this was interesting but also kind of creepy
"I lost all of what you could call feelings of love. They weren't sealed, so they can't be released. They weren't broken, so they can't be fixed. That which is lost, cannot be recovered." Shiba Tatsuya
"There are no regrets. If one can be proud of one's life, one should not wish for another chance." Saber
"No matter what happens, no matter how crazy things get, I'll always try to restore balance." Korra
"It's madness to let others take what's yours and accept it blindly." Baatar Jr
"Instinct is a lie, told by a fearful body, hoping to be wrong." Zaheer
"Partner in crime, partner in time" Chloe Price and Max Caulfield
Oct 22, 2016 5:12 AM
Jun 2016
we had jawas from star wars, basara from sousei no snmyoki and kirby meta knights xD
Oct 22, 2016 5:30 AM

Nov 2015
All these references make this just more fun to watch.
Another fun and weird episode.
But I think I understand now what the Pure Illusion is about, pretty interesting!

5/5
Oct 22, 2016 8:42 AM

Oct 2016
Holy shit !! now we got a kick-ass fighting scene.. what a surprise that yayaka also know pure illusion and she's already a pro on it :v ..
Oct 22, 2016 1:53 PM

Dec 2009
What the actual fuck is this episode...

I get that there's interwoven references, connotations, meanings, symbolisms etc within the show. However that is also an error that happens in writing often. Some writers will think that what makes a good story is a lot of complexity in structure and purpose of it, however if it is not incommensurate (meaning it's just as good in simplicity as it is in complexity) then it's still incoherent, and thus flawed.

It taking a sufficient amount of thought to understand doesn't necessarily make it quality, as a good story will be able to convey deep philosophical concepts in ways that any idiot can understand. At face value, this show is an image of complete insanity, at least as of this episode. The first 2 episodes had an alice in wonderland / wizard of oz kind of style to them and fell in that quirky balance, but this one just ham-fisted too many random-ass things in suddenly.

For example, they jammed this sadistic dirty lesbo in with a twisted bondage harem, and those derpy bandits which didn't even serve any useful purpose, magical girl transformations and ridiculous spontaneous weapons, the robot turn-coating randomly...

I am pleased with the fact that anime are learning how to properly mix acoustics.
GenesisAriaOct 22, 2016 2:14 PM
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Oct 22, 2016 2:05 PM
Apr 2010
It was enjoyable, but WTF I just watch? I swear this looks like something that Trigger/Gainax would make.
Oct 22, 2016 5:19 PM

Feb 2011
I'm just going to say this is simply one the best anime episodes I've seen in a long time. This was better than the entire summer season.
Oct 23, 2016 6:06 AM

Jul 2009
So Yayaka is an enemy now, it's a thing now to make your childhood friend your enemy...
Oct 23, 2016 10:17 AM

Apr 2015
Sakuga was just stunning.

This felt exactly like my first time listening to Fantasy Black Channel, trippy, frantic, complex, colourful, high quality, a multitude of influences, a good dose of cheesiness, beautiful, and wicked fun
Oct 23, 2016 3:48 PM

Sep 2008
I wish someone was getting track of all the references/easter eggs from this series.
Oct 23, 2016 3:48 PM

Oct 2015
OHHHH YESSSS I love this anime.

Sorry I don't have anything more productive to say right now, this anime is basically Kyousougiga, Kaiba and Madoka Magica shoved in a blender and it ticks so many of my boxes that I just love it.
Oct 23, 2016 6:56 PM

Aug 2012
-Desert theme this episode?
-This is actually a ton more interesting than the Pure Illusion of the last episode
-Papika's nonchalant expression as the raiders are making a ruckus was great
-Like, the first 6 minutes of this episode alone are better than pretty much the entirety of the last episode.
-If there's one thing I love in an anime, it's a standoff between people who were previously friends, and this show is already giving that
-That fight was pretty nicely animated until the end
-That uh, fountain scene was pretty unsettling actually
-That potato's imbalanced, and they seem to have inherited each other's hair color in their powered up form
-I thought that one girl in front of the giant explosion in the OP looked like Yayaka, but I didn't actually think she would be plot relevant
-Poor 392, getting tripped
-Wait, Yayaka's teammates were the twins who saw Papika on top of the solar panels or something in the first episode. I thought those were just random background characters.
-Turns out Yayaka's in that weird cult from the OP
-Oh god that scene where Cocona goes home in the end made me get the weirdest premonition that her grandma isn't gonna live to see the end of the show.

Huge step up from previous episode since all of the worldbuilding was actually new, and things were actually happening character-wise and plotwise. We got some of Cocona's inner conflict hinted at by the helmet fiasco, Yayaka is made a much more relevant character, and the other faction from the OP makes its debut. I also got what is probably my favorite anime trope of all time in this episode, which also greatly added to my enjoyment of it. The animation during the beginning of the fight between Papika and Cocona was on point, though. The giant beam battle was kinda weird since the tentacle thing didn't ready its cannon on-screen.

At this point I'm kinda interested at how they seem to be integrating all of the art shifts together into a common plot. What that plot seems to be still remains a mystery, but the potential is there. Best episode so far.
Oct 23, 2016 8:40 PM

Oct 2008
I didn't expect that the classmate/friend of Cocona which is Yayaka is also involved in pure illusion!
Looks like Papika & Cocona would have trouble collecting the fragments because they also have rivals/competition against the fragments.
4/5.

Oct 24, 2016 12:28 AM

Mar 2016
This anime has been a blast to watch just for the animation alone. I just can't get over how good the fight scene was this episode.
Sigh.
Oct 24, 2016 4:18 AM
Oct 2007
Damn, Mad Max, DBZ, Sailor Moon, JoJo, and Mami's giant cannon. Pretty insane episode
Oct 24, 2016 4:28 AM
Oct 2007
bastek66 said:
Masked Cocona's martial arts poses were from Jackie Chan's movie

That drunken fist was pretty awesome
Oct 24, 2016 9:05 PM

Aug 2013
ThreePercent said:
-Oh god that scene where Cocona goes home in the end made me get the weirdest premonition that her grandma isn't gonna live to see the end of the show.

Really? I find the grandma to be SUPER suspicious. Remember that Cocona got kidnapped by the robots from the cult at the end of episode one, but at the beginning of episode two she just wakes up in here bed with her grandma there. The way she reacted to Cocona at the end of this episode makes me even more suspicious that she too is involved with Pure Illusion.
Oct 25, 2016 4:37 AM

Dec 2015
I am so happy I gave this a shot, it's very qickly becoming my favorite this season
Oct 25, 2016 6:48 PM

Dec 2013
That is what I'm talking about! This episode was amazing with all of the action scenes, Studio 3hz did really well with animating those. I'm feeling a Mad max vibe from this episode too. Overall it's the best episode thus far for me.
Oct 25, 2016 9:14 PM

Mar 2009
Loved how this episode just threw us into the middle of events. They didn't show us how Kokona and Papika got separated. Didn't need to. We saw them heading into Pure Illusion at the end of the previous episode.

I don't understand why people all over the internet are so confused by this anime. Girl meets girl, transported to a bizarre world where weird things happen, and their job is to collect fragments. That's it. Pretty simple. Why they're collecting fragments and other related things haven't been explained yet. It sucks when a unique gem like this one is being treated with comments like "lol oh so random and nonsensical."
Oct 25, 2016 10:40 PM
Apr 2013
I can't believe how good this show is.

Lots of Kill la Kill vibe from the animation style - which is gorgeous. The storytelling has an awesome take on pacing and style, and there are fanservicey feeling bits that are just there which is perfect, instead of being 'i tripped over and fell in your crotch. again. now the girl will hit the guy and'

The colours and style of the last episode were amazing, and this one had fantastic action, while the plot hints continue to grow amongst the many references. I can't imagine how they'll keep this level up but then I didn't expect them to make something this amazing so far.
Oct 25, 2016 10:53 PM

Feb 2015
CommanderSparkle said:
Yamada2 said:
The reason why Cocona was fighting Papika (which was given by the weird looking loli) was weird. It was something along the lines of Cocona wanting to punch Papika deep down inside. Why would Cocona want to do that now? Didn't she get over her anger towards Papika already? She said so herself in the previous episode that she didn't mind joining Papika in her adventures. It could be that deep down Cocona is still scared and wants to kinda take out some anger at Papika for throwing them into such a place and then running away. Or it could be not restricted to this one event and might be her feelings from the first episode till this one. Or Cocona deep down, doesn't want to join Papika in these crazy adventures and doesn't like Papika for throwing her into all this nonsense. Well, that's all assuming the weird colored loli was correct or whatever.

How I see this bit is likely actually more connected to how Cocona felt at that exact moment where she was separated from Papika and said something along the lines of "When I see her I'm gonna give it to her." The controlling device then took this to the absolute extreme, and caused her to physically attack Papika. That's at least what I took away from it.

Atlas77 said:
Wtf have I just watched?
I feels all random, without objetives, characters coming from nowhere, powers coming from nowhere.
I thought that they don't have powers until they get transformed, even in pure illusion; it seems that Papika does.
Studio 3Hz must begin to tell their stories in a consistent and more clear way.

Two things. First off, I'd recommend against generalizing with a studio for how a story is told and presented, it is more the director and script writers who impact that, and there are only a couple studios where that has major overlap to the point you can say for the whole studio (Shaft and Kyoto Animation to name a few).

Secondly, I don't think its really that random and confusing. The only thing that comes somewhat out of nowhere is Yayaka being part of the group of antagonists, but the twins were already introduced, and the rest of the characters are one off characters. Also, we've had no explicit mention of what their physicality or power is pretransformation within pure illusion, but I'm wondering what specific event your asking about here is.

To me I'm loving the way that Oshiyama is playing with story telling, throwing us into some situations without giving us all the information, but making it still feel very complete. Honestly, that made this episode one of my favorites in anime in a long time personally.

I wrote that thing of the studio because I watched Dimension W and until the half of the anime it felt like you don't know nothing about the main problem. Maybe you're right and an anime is more represented by the director and script writers.
And I really hate when things happen without explanation, I wrote that thing of the characters referring to the mad max characters and the witch or fiend or something and the fact that we have no explanation about what Pure Illusion is, it feels like we're watching the psycodelic adventures of two magical girls in different dimensions and that's weird. Maybe is not my kind of story.
Oct 26, 2016 11:53 AM

Oct 2012
This episode was so good it didn't even feel like it was the same series. Like, seriously.
Oct 26, 2016 2:11 PM

Jan 2016
i like how they switch hair colors when they transform
Oct 26, 2016 10:07 PM

Apr 2009
holy crap this episode blew me away. I've already watched it 3 times. If this keeps up man idk this might be aoty for me.
Oct 26, 2016 11:01 PM

Nov 2010
I'm in love with this Anime. this could actually go into my top 20 Anime of all time. very very creative and fantastic atmosphere. it's just Pure Illusion ... hehe.
Oct 27, 2016 8:01 AM

Jul 2015
I enjoyed this... I enjoyed everything about this despite this episode kind of just throwing stuff at me with little explanation if any at all. What I did get out of this was the two girls are magical girls who do awesome poses and are partially powered by potatoes. Truly a great thing.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Oct 29, 2016 1:46 PM

Dec 2012
It was really good with a lot of references. This episode reminded me Space Dandy with all the shiny things and the craziness of the univers. Very good :)
Oct 29, 2016 6:53 PM

Feb 2013
WTF did I just watch? Another five-out-of-five!

We went from Mad Max to Magical Girl in one episode.
Robot sure liked that BDSM spa.

(and there goes the budget... I hope this was done far enough in advance that later episodes won't suffer)
Nov 1, 2016 10:05 AM

Feb 2015
i didn't watch jojo but it feels like im watching jojo. it was like, when saw them transformed "wtf ? this is a magical girl show ?!" tbh im in no mood for magical girl right now xD but this, i can't just let it pass. cause the animation is so freaking badass as fuck. feels like this show isn't any magical girl show at all.

im really hype for this. the story, the introduction was really generic in my eyes but the concept of the story is really amusing and interesting to watch imo. especially the combination with it's animation and soundtrack.

looking foward to the next episode xD
Nov 4, 2016 11:01 PM

Jan 2011
Midna is that you?

Felt a bit off, like the episode was compressed for times' sake, but otherwise I see this as an improvement. Everything has been more creative and dreamscape like than the first episode, which is a welcome addition. Although I suppose you could argue the relatively normal world in the first episode was to ease Cocona, and by extension the audience, into everything.
Nov 5, 2016 3:25 AM
May 2009
Dropped due to all the fanservice, ugh.
Nov 6, 2016 3:47 AM

Dec 2014
BurntJelly said:
WTF did I just watch? Another five-out-of-five!

We went from Mad Max to Magical Girl in one episode.
Robot sure liked that BDSM spa.

(and there goes the budget... I hope this was done far enough in advance that later episodes won't suffer)

That BDSM spa could be referring to Mnemosyne

Nov 6, 2016 7:45 AM

Jan 2009
I thought the show was more on the adventure side, but now it seems more like a magical girl anime.
It was a cool episode though.
Nov 7, 2016 12:55 AM

Jan 2011
xiety10 said:
Wow One Episode tons of references
beside the Mad Max, Sailor Moon etc.

that Cannon is Power Rangers cannon fire well only 2 person manage to use it though

they also fight like Dragonball
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» Flip Flappers Taken Off of HiDive!

Pish_Posh - Dec 3, 2023

3 by Berhinger »»
May 21, 6:49 PM

Poll: » Flip Flappers Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2016

189 by Atsunome »»
Nov 12, 2023 11:26 PM

Poll: » Flip Flappers Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 24, 2016

142 by Touka »»
Oct 22, 2023 1:08 PM

Poll: » Flip Flappers Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2016

143 by Touka »»
Sep 26, 2023 11:30 AM

Poll: » How much sexual content is in this show?

PokeFan2112 - Dec 27, 2022

16 by Armosaurus »»
Apr 22, 2023 10:14 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.