Forum Settings
Forums

Why do some people believe watching LOGH makes them smart?

New
Jan 7, 2023 10:53 PM

Sep 2022
So i was scrolling through the forum and i came across a thread where people were calling those who dont like LOHG are idiots, and they failed to comprehend it. This is not the first time when i read something like that. I often come across such discussion regarding LOGH on MAL, twitter or anywhere else, where people are label as "dumb" or "having bad taste" for not liking logh.                                                    

Has anyone else noticed this? what do you think,  why do they believe in such things?

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jan 7, 2023 11:02 PM

Aug 2018
good taste might be subjective and all but so is bad taste. if you don't like what I like then you have bad taste. It's an objective fact (imo).
Jan 7, 2023 11:06 PM

Feb 2020
CyberLucy said:
So i was scrolling through the forum and i came across a thread where people were calling those who dont like LOHG are idiots, and they failed to comprehend it. This is not the first time when i read something like that. I often come across such discussion regarding LOGH on MAL, twitter or anywhere else, where people are label as "dumb" or "having bad taste" for not liking logh.                                                    

Has anyone else noticed this? what do you think,  why do they believe in such things?
Why do people believe this? because its true
everyone who hasnt watched logh is either a dum dum or has bad taste (quite possibly both)
well not like there's anything wrong with being dumb though
dumb people can still be lovable 🦊
(to those that haven't, go watch LoGH)

Jan 7, 2023 11:14 PM

May 2019
i've never seen it, heard some people praise it, must be nice.
Jan 7, 2023 11:16 PM

Aug 2020
Would love the link to said forum if you have it. I didn't like LOTGH but i don't remember becoming any smarter or dumber and this applies to all anime.
Jan 7, 2023 11:25 PM

Apr 2019
Because LOTGH fanbase is full of idiotic elitists. They genuinely believe that just because they like a 80's Japanese cartoon they are smart. Anybody with actual intelligence can tell that liking or disliking a cartoon has nothing to do with how smart you are. It's just a matter of personal preference.
Jan 7, 2023 11:36 PM

Oct 2018
I'll reply to this thread once I become smart after watching the show.
Jan 7, 2023 11:39 PM

Oct 2012
CyberLucy said:
I believe the phenomenon is two-fold:

1. The original LOTGH was made like a very dry narration of events that spanned multiple generations, much in the tone that old science fiction classics were written. I'm guessing that people who came from that background felt some familiarity that they felt no one else could comprehend. An inferiority complex is expressed as elitism.
  2. The meme of LOTGH being the elitist show surely hasn't escaped attention, making it the perfect subject for trolls to name drop it and get some of the benefit of the original LOGTH fans without being so committed. As time goes on, I feel like more and more people will fall into this second category, where people will just shit post to prove their "good taste".
With that said, the LOTGH remake, the Die Neue These series, add some drama and production value into the plot, making it a very good show indeed. Not like it's perfect or anything, but it is very good.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jan 7, 2023 11:41 PM

May 2018
Never seen this. Probably just a fabrication from haters. You are free to dislike whatever you wish.
Some insecure casuals just feel uncomfortable about their own intelligence and thus come up with such slander. 
Many Some people believe watching Monogatari makes them smart. Can you believe it?
Nemo_NiemandJan 7, 2023 11:54 PM

Jan 7, 2023 11:44 PM

Oct 2012
King_KK said:
Anybody with actual intelligence can tell that liking or disliking a cartoon has nothing to do with how smart you are. It's just a matter of personal preference.
Well, despite what I said above, there is actually a provable correlation (note: not causation) between higher intelligence and liking certain genres of music (e.g. with more complex rhythms) and visual media (e.g. science fiction). This means that liking or disliking a cartoon could have something to do with how smart you are, but liking the cartoon doesn't necessarily make someone smart or vice versa.
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jan 8, 2023 12:01 AM

Aug 2022
I don't really care. All fandoms of highly acclaimed anime are like that. Attack on Titan fans are the same, obviously the percentage of elitists in the LOGH is higher due to the fandom being a bit smaller than the fandom of AoT for example, but you can find purists and elitists everywhere. I've just learned to ignore these types of ppl I guess.
Jan 8, 2023 12:02 AM

Jun 2016
This is what happens when you base your identity on the crap you like. It's not unique to lotgh or anime in general.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Jan 8, 2023 12:07 AM

Apr 2019
katsucats said:
This means that liking or disliking a cartoon could have something to do with how smart you are, but liking the cartoon doesn't necessarily make someone smart or vice versa.

I guess we will never know weather that's the case or not unless someone does actual reasearch and publishes some research papers on this topic. The true relationship between anime taste and intelligence can only be found out by research. Till then I am holding my opinion.
Jan 8, 2023 12:17 AM
Pirate King

Oct 2022
>why do they believe in such things?
bcs they are dumb enough to not realise that it is dumb.

actually it's a meme that watching logh make you smart. many people don't even watch it.... and just add in their favourite to look smart. if i remember correctly, """Legend of the Gaalctic Heroes ruined anime for me""" is meme by gigguk or trash taste, from then it has became quite popular in anime community

Nemo_Niemand said:
Some people believe watching Monogatari makes them smart. Can you believe it?
this. i want to add fate fans too, especially nasu's boot-lickers.
Mugiwara_LuffyyJan 8, 2023 12:51 AM
Jan 8, 2023 12:17 AM
Aug 2008
LoGH is fantastic but I don't really get why watching it would make you smart. Storywise it is really straightforward.Could it be that it is really long so people drop it? But at the same time series like One Piece is 10 times as long.
Jan 8, 2023 12:54 AM

Sep 2010
It's called elitism and LOHG is a great example of it, other examples are Ping Pong and Tatami Galaxy. Just ignore these guys and move on, they get a hard on from gatekeeping and talking down on people.
Jan 8, 2023 1:03 AM

Oct 2012
King_KK said:
katsucats said:
This means that liking or disliking a cartoon could have something to do with how smart you are, but liking the cartoon doesn't necessarily make someone smart or vice versa.

I guess we will never know weather that's the case or not unless someone does actual reasearch and publishes some research papers on this topic. The true relationship between anime taste and intelligence can only be found out by research. Till then I am holding my opinion.
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/325069504_Intelligence_Music_Preferences_and_Uses_of_Music_From_the_Perspective_of_Evolutionary_Psychology
https://newsroom.au.dk/fileadmin/user_upload/Intelligence_and_musical_mode_preference.pdf
https://www.labnol.org/internet/music-taste-linked-to-intelligence/7489/
Who Reads Science Fiction and Fantasy, and How Do They Feel About Science? Preliminary Findings From an Online Survey

If music and reading taste could predict intelligence or attitudes toward scientific endeavors, then it's not a leap to assume anime taste could also.
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jan 8, 2023 1:06 AM

Jan 2023
Because some people are close-minded ageist, thinking liking old scifi shows makes them special.

Jan 8, 2023 1:20 AM

Feb 2020
So i was scrolling through the forum and i came across a thread where people were calling those who like LOHG are idiots, and they pretend to comprehend it. This is not the first time when i read something like that. I often come across such discussion regarding LOGH on MAL, twitter or anywhere else, where people are label as "elitists" or "being pretentious" for liking logh.

Has anyone else noticed this? what do you think, why do they believe in such things?
Jan 8, 2023 1:39 AM
Pirate King

Oct 2022
mazuchi said:
Has anyone else noticed this?
no, i never noticed anyone calling lotgh fans idiots """"for simply liking lotgh"""". they are called pretentious or idiots bcs of the way they behave to others. don't be ignorant, you know, this is not that hard to understand....
Mugiwara_LuffyyJan 8, 2023 1:42 AM
Jan 8, 2023 1:40 AM

Mar 2018
Am I an elitist just for liking a show? If yes, then everything is true and we are smarter because you can't prove that this isn't the case....

If no, you just encountered some toxic behavior manifested by people with insecurities who probably were just salty...
Jan 8, 2023 1:48 AM

Nov 2022
I am elitist and have not watched this show.

May be I will watch it one day.
Buy my awesome BDSM male domination book here  https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/1174760

Visit my Discord https://discord.com/channels/1047490147794550844/1047490149161898039 I am not there most of the time but you can leave a message.

Or my blog here https://BDSMAnime.blogspot.com/
Or here https://BDSMAnime18.blogspot.com/

Submit to me and become my subject here https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=88107
Jan 8, 2023 1:51 AM

Feb 2020
Mugiwara_Luffyy said:
mazuchi said:
Has anyone else noticed this?
no, i never noticed anyone calling lotgh fans idiots """"for simply liking lotgh"""". they are called pretentious or idiots bcs of the way they behave to others. don't be ignorant, you know, this is not that hard to understand....
Where are those evil LotGH fans hiding? The only ones I see behaving like idiots here are the LotGH haters...
Jan 8, 2023 1:55 AM

Jul 2017
I always found it quite perplexing how those types of people equate understanding with enjoyment, as if the two were completely synonymous lol. Just because you understand a series doesn't mean that you're automatically going to enjoy it. 

"Why do they believe in such things?" Well, on the surface, it's their massive ego, but I don't think that ego is the root cause per se. The actual cause of their ego could vary depending on the person. Some potential causes could be insecurity, their desire for validation and approval, their feelings of inadequacy, etc.  
Jan 8, 2023 2:02 AM

Nov 2020
What is LOGH btw ?????????????????

Jan 8, 2023 2:06 AM

Mar 2015
LOtGH is just BL for closeted people.
Jan 8, 2023 2:15 AM

May 2018
"Why do some people believe watching LOGH makes them smart?"

Because watching it kills less brain cells than battle shounen, thus in comparison you feel a bit smarter, but fact is it also makes you dumb in the process.
Jan 8, 2023 2:18 AM

Sep 2018
This applies to literally any elitist anime (and fairly often also non-elitist anime). I can't believe LOGH is the only one you've come across multiple times.
Jan 8, 2023 2:20 AM

Dec 2022
I watched one episode and dropped it. Thought it was a snoozefest lmao.
Jan 8, 2023 2:25 AM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
Honestly I've not seen enough of legendary galaxy hero.. I watched a movie special episodes but I didn't see anything that would make this anime iconic..

Jan 8, 2023 2:30 AM

Jan 2020
This is the problem with the LoGH fandom. The show is really good, but their attitude turns away other people from the show. 

Personally, I'm not mad that the show isn't that popular, especially the reboot. Makes the threads more enjoyable and void of futile debates. 
I sometimes forget to finish my sentences.
Jan 8, 2023 2:33 AM

Oct 2010
I don't know, I watched the show and it was bad, the conflicts and the politics make no sense, it's stupid and full of plot holes
like that one time when a ship made a 2 hours journey from point A to point B but when it went back from point B to point A, it made it in 2 minutes (you can't argue it was a timeskip, the ship used the same power and the events made us sure it wasn't a skip), you may say it's not important but it was on the battlefield. And this isn't the biggest one.
Jan 8, 2023 2:47 AM
Pirate King

Oct 2022
mazuchi said:
Mugiwara_Luffyy said:
Where are those evil LotGH fans hiding? The only ones I see behaving like idiots here are the LotGH haters...
literally the second poster in this thread.

also this is 'anime discussion', and you know very well that most of the poster you are going to encounter here(for any anime) are haters. maybe, if this was series discussion things would have been different.
Mugiwara_LuffyyJan 8, 2023 2:52 AM
Jan 8, 2023 2:58 AM

Feb 2020
Mugiwara_Luffyy said:
mazuchi said:
literally the second poster in this thread.

also this is 'anime discussion', and you know very well that most of the poster you are going to encounter here(for any anime) are haters. maybe, if this was series discussion things would have been different.
Yeah I'm sure someone who calls other "dum dum" is totally serious.

Okay so you need to specifically seek out those people. This is not different from any other fanbase. You can find idiots everywhere.
Jan 8, 2023 3:00 AM
Jun 2021
CyberLucy said:

Simply put, they're pseuds.

They don't know of anything better in science-fiction (good examples are anything Asimov wrote or Frank Herbert's Dune) because they're weebs, yet believe they reached the peak of anime just because they watch an OVA with an above-average story.
Same mentality as Evangelion pseuds, except Gineiyuuden pseuds diss all anime while Evapseuds only diss mecha and are overall much easier to deal with.
Hot Blood saves lives.
Jan 8, 2023 3:08 AM

Jun 2019
Do they really? And if so, what percentage of its audience and fanbase do you believe that is reflective of? Because whether on MAL or anywhere else, I've come across far more posts, like a 100:1 ratio so lopsided and skewed it's not even funny, complaining about and insulting fans of Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu rather than Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu fans pridefully boasting or insulting others.

It's like a microcosm of the whole issue and controversy around "elitists" and "elitism" in general. They're starting to feel more like the Chupacabra and Bigfoot legends to me as I see many times more folks gabbing and raving about them than actual examples of them in the wild.
Jan 8, 2023 3:47 AM

Oct 2013
Probably it's because of low self-esteem or a lot of insecurities deep inside one's heart. Y'know, to compensate one's failures in real life by acting like THE elite on the Internet and flexing with having presumably superior minds to others, because of liking certain cartoon.

It could be also simply being childish and acting in dumb way.

After seeing many of LotGH fans acting in obnoxious way, I say it might be a mix of both.

However, let's not generalize. I also met good people who were fond of LotGH. So even if there were not many of them, there are still some chilled LotGH fans out there.
Jan 8, 2023 4:49 AM

Jul 2021
The original one is very old, very long, and has way too much reading.
It's kind of an ideal candidate to name drop and also scare away people from actually watching it.

Last time I checked out "elitist" animes was when I watched Monster, only to find out that the core story makes no sense, and only the side characters get any development, but the 3 main ones don't.
Before that I watched Haibane Renmei, were people claimed that shounen fans can't sit through the SoL first half, but actually that was the good part, and really the show just made no sense.
Jan 8, 2023 4:50 AM

Jul 2021
TheMechaManiac said:
Frank Herbert's Dune

Now Dune is actually the peak of fiction.
Best book I ever read, too bad the series is unfinished.
Jan 8, 2023 4:56 AM
Jun 2021
JaniSIr said:
TheMechaManiac said:
Frank Herbert's Dune

Too bad the series never got a proper movie adaptation, I'd kill for that
Hot Blood saves lives.
Jan 8, 2023 5:04 AM

Jul 2021
TheMechaManiac said:
JaniSIr said:

Too bad the series never got a proper movie adaptation, I'd kill for that

Did you not see this one? https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1160419/
Or are you salty about it.
They certainly did make some changes they shouldn't have...
Jan 8, 2023 5:41 AM

Jul 2014
Because they, similarly to One Piece fans, have the time and patience to invest into a long, slow and old anime maybe. The difference is, OP fans do not throw it down your troat and think that liking it makes them better than anyone else, while in real life they're probably stuck up and can't make a conversation for their life...
 But hey, that's just a theory :3

Jan 8, 2023 6:05 AM
Jul 2018
Because most often than not, those are x-shonen fanboys who have ascended from insert popular battle shonen here. To them, LoGH might as well be the best thing they have ever seen because they haven't seen anything of worth to begin with. FMAB has the similar effect.
Jan 8, 2023 7:18 AM

Sep 2014
Ah yes, the "you're an idiot and you can't comprehend it" argument thrown at you because you don't like something as much as they do. When they use this argument to defend anime that aren't even difficult to understand is how you identify the least smarter ones. The fools.

Without surprise, I had to check your post history to know what you were talking about and indeed, they were just young shounentards who believe they are some sort of blessed elitists who happen to be intellectually superior for enjoying and understanding something that is basically middle school level of difficulty to understand. It's a phase I guess. I also happened to believe some anime were smarter than what they actually were, until I grew up, sharpened by thinking process, and realized the anime that wanted to appear as intelligent, had actually a lot of dumb things going for them at the same time.
Jan 8, 2023 7:22 AM

May 2020
Why are people making 2 threads per month complaining about ginga eiyuu densetsu and or the fanbase lol? If you ask me it is a more contemplative anime than most, certainly if you use shounen as your measuring stick, but putting people down for "not getting it" or whatever just makes you a dickhead. So ultimately my evaluation is that you came across a dickhead, it doesn't have anything to do with the anime in question.
Jan 8, 2023 7:27 AM

May 2018
Assuming those guys are not trolling with the LoGH meme. What anime you like does not determine how smart you are. Want to prove yourself to be smart, go get a PhD or something. Someone with a PhD  but like Highschool DxD is still smarter than someone who like LoGH but a jobless loser or school dropout.
Jan 8, 2023 7:39 AM
Twintail Expert

Feb 2019
because if you look at people that are the textbook definitions of "anime elitism", LOGH fits in the fold somewhere
Jan 8, 2023 8:19 AM
Oct 2018
What is LOHG? is that anime or maybe a genre?
Jan 8, 2023 8:29 AM

Aug 2020
GED is just one of the many anime that have toxic cringeworthy fanbases. Nothing new here...

Jan 8, 2023 8:29 AM

Aug 2020
Angelus_Lovell said:
What is LOHG? is that anime or maybe a genre?

Legend of the Galactic Heroes. An anime about two men from different sides of a war in galaxy.

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» What anime you think was carried by a single character?

Shizuna - 9 hours ago

39 by SpiderMiles3523 »»
2 minutes ago

» does anyone find it childish and cringe whenever attacks are yelled or named in shonen anime/manga? ( 1 2 )

Phantomnocomics - Jun 8

63 by Brunilde »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » Anime that fail the Bechdel test

fluffycow17 - Sep 8, 2021

33 by eblf2013 »»
4 minutes ago

» First look at "THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE WAR OF THE ROHIRRIM" Anime Film.

Old_School_Akira - 3 hours ago

13 by Memore »»
4 minutes ago

» What Anime has the most genres & themes on MAL?

Zarutaku - 3 hours ago

1 by Zettaiken »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.