Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 18, 2022 12:22 PM

Apr 2012
How toxic do you think the MAL forums are? And how much has it changed over time?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 18, 2022 12:30 PM

Aug 2012
Toxic? 4/10
Forum ( casual discussion at least) is boring and sorta dead.
Jul 18, 2022 12:44 PM

Mar 2015
Depends on the sub forum. Some like AD & CD only really have the occasional incel or nazi accusation, which honestly is pretty tame compared to what goes on on other sites. Some discussions in the series forums can get pretty wild though. That's where all the people without avatars ravage each other over Eren and Tanjiro.
Jul 18, 2022 12:45 PM

Aug 2009
Occasional rude posts on imgur/GameTrailers

Jul 18, 2022 12:51 PM

Nov 2013
reddit has literal subreddits dedicated to things like hate speech with active communities of thousands

MAL is basically full of angels by comparison
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Jul 18, 2022 12:51 PM

Apr 2012
Mirai said:
Depends on the sub forum. Some like AD & CD only really have the occasional incel or nazi accusation, which honestly is pretty tame compared to what goes on on other sites. Some discussions in the series forums can get pretty wild though. That's where all the people without avatars ravage each other over Eren and Tanjiro.

I remember when there was a "current events" board here and you could easily be bullied by a certain group of users just by creating a thread where leftists or liberals didn't look very good.

But now the main debate has shifted dramatically to elitist vs teenagers for some reason.
Jul 18, 2022 12:52 PM

Oct 2012
It's not toxic at all. Have you seen 4chan? lol
If life ain't just a joke
Then why are we laughing?

If life ain't just a joke
Then why am I dead?
Jul 18, 2022 12:52 PM

Apr 2012
Sad said:
reddit has literal subreddits dedicated to things like hate speech with active communities of thousands

Is it? I've heard that reddit has been banning any community and discussion lately that might raise even the slightest argument.
Jul 18, 2022 12:53 PM

Aug 2013
Illuminatli said:

A magical place that MAL can only dream to strive towards.
Jul 18, 2022 12:54 PM

Apr 2012
Illuminatli said:

Saying something isn't toxic compared to 4chan is like saying someone isn't hot enough compared to Monica Belucci.
Jul 18, 2022 12:55 PM

Nov 2013
RobertBobert said:
Sad said:

Is it? I've heard that reddit has been banning any community and discussion lately that might raise even the slightest argument.

there have been mass 'cleansing' exercises where lots of these crazy subreddits have been closed down, but it's just like cutting off a single head of a hydra. subreddits just pop back under new names and re-grow their communities by spreading the word through other channels like discord. it's basically like an annual whack-a-mole
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Jul 18, 2022 12:58 PM

Apr 2012
Sad said:
RobertBobert said:

there have been mass 'cleansing' exercises where lots of these crazy subreddits have been closed down, but it's just like cutting off a single head of a hydra. subreddits just pop back under new names and re-grow their communities by spreading the word through other channels like discord. it's basically like an annual whack-a-mole

I dont know. In my eyes, Reddit is an extremely sterile place, where "oh, this could lead to conflict" has long been the favorite excuse of any authoritarian moderators.
Jul 18, 2022 1:09 PM

Nov 2013
RobertBobert said:
Sad said:

I dont know. In my eyes, Reddit is an extremely sterile place, where "oh, this could lead to conflict" has long been the favorite excuse of any authoritarian moderators.

it can be, the thing is reddit is a community of communities - in some subreddits the moderators are absent and haven't logged in for years so anything goes lol, and then you have your subreddits where the moderation team gets their dopamine hits with every post removal

MAL has one visible moderation team for the entire site so it's a much different environment i guess, probably not a good comparison to offer from myself but i can't think of many forums with a similar structure to MAL that has tried to legitimise themselves with sponsors/partnerships etc and is a big space for kids. i used to browse the tripadvisor forums and everyone seemed chill af on there, but the majority of users were 20/30+ in age, MAL is a different world
Jul 18, 2022 1:14 PM

Oct 2018
I remember MAL forums got pretty fucking bad at some point but that was years ago. People say its boring but I don't mind it to be honest.
And when creation goes to die
You can find me in the sky
Upon the last day

And you will be okay
Jul 18, 2022 1:14 PM

Apr 2012
Sad said:
RobertBobert said:

it can be, the thing is reddit is a community of communities - in some subreddits the moderators are absent and haven't logged in for years so anything goes lol, and then you have your subreddits where the moderation team gets their dopamine hits with every post removal

MAL has one visible moderation team for the entire site so it's a much different environment i guess, probably not a good comparison to offer from myself but i can't think of many forums with a similar structure to MAL that has tried to legitimise themselves with sponsors/partnerships etc and is a big space for kids. i used to browse the tripadvisor forums and everyone seemed chill af on there, but the majority of users were 20/30+ in age, MAL is a different world

Well, MAL has very formal moderation in the sense that moderators rarely participate in discussions and rarely (at least in my memory) get into any kind of conflict with users. I especially feel this as someone who has often been the victim of biased moderators on other sites.
Jul 18, 2022 1:25 PM

Dec 2021
Definitely a couple o' folks spreading negativity, spitting insults, and trying to start fights and whatnot, but on a whole Casual Discussion doesn't seem too bad. Can't say about the other subforums though, as I don't read enough stuff on any of them.
Jul 18, 2022 1:28 PM

Apr 2012
Orange_is_White said:
Definitely a couple o' folks spreading negativity, spitting insults, and trying to start fights and whatnot, but on a whole Casual Discussion doesn't seem too bad. Can't say about the other subforums though, as I don't read enough stuff on any of them.

I haven't been on here in a while, but as far as the anime board is concerned, it's mostly quiet except for the disputes between the elites and teenagers.
Jul 18, 2022 1:33 PM

Nov 2013
RobertBobert said:
Orange_is_White said:

I haven't been on here in a while, but as far as the anime board is concerned, it's mostly quiet except for the disputes between the elites and teenagers.

a favourite pastime is watching someone swing by AD and say dubs are better than subs and stick around to defend their view, for some reason the topic of sub/dubs always gets people wound up, its comedy
Jul 18, 2022 1:34 PM

Aug 2020
The word toxic is overused and doesn't really apply here.
Jul 18, 2022 1:43 PM

Apr 2012
Sad said:
RobertBobert said:

a favourite pastime is watching someone swing by AD and say dubs are better than subs and stick around to defend their view, for some reason the topic of sub/dubs always gets people wound up, its comedy

Even more than the elitist trying to simultaneously insult everyone who disagrees with them and accuse you of paranoia, denying that elitists exist?
Jul 18, 2022 2:33 PM

Jul 2019
They are not toxic, at least, not after the death of CE, but even then, I've seen worse. Mostly in the form of 4chan.
Jul 18, 2022 2:38 PM

Jan 2009
if you argue constantly and everywhere then it can be toxic
Jul 18, 2022 2:41 PM
Jul 2018
They're like a solid 1.5/10 on the toxicity scale. I'm not sure what fantasy land people must live in if they think MAL forums are toxic in the slighest.
removed-userJul 18, 2022 3:02 PM
Jul 18, 2022 2:46 PM

May 2013
Not toxic enough.

We will only attain enlightenment once the chosen one arrives. His username, foretold by the prophecy, will be "Gasmaster1488".

♡ Harder Daddy ♡
Jul 18, 2022 2:49 PM

Jan 2021
barely, when I started being active on forums I was expecting it to be way worse
Jul 18, 2022 2:53 PM
Jul 2018
As of lately I think the MAL forums have been pretty tame. But that isn't to say that there are some toxic threads every now and then. But I mostly see them in series discussions.
Jul 18, 2022 3:20 PM

Sep 2010
Toxicity (10 is most toxic):

Anime Discussion 7/10
Casual Discussion: 8/10
Recommendation: 7/10
Introduction: 4/10
Support: 8/10
Suggestions: 7/10
Forum Games: 0/10
Jul 18, 2022 3:57 PM

Nov 2013
@ateks out of interest what sort of toxic stuff do ya see on the reccs board? 7 is pretty high
Jul 18, 2022 4:57 PM

May 2013
Mangamonsters said:
_Nette_ said:
Not toxic enough.

We will only attain enlightenment once the chosen one arrives. His username, foretold by the prophecy, will be "Gasmaster1488".
Is that what you are changing your name to?

Alas I am not the one chosen by fate.

I'm at the very best a side character.

♡ Harder Daddy ♡
Jul 18, 2022 5:03 PM

Dec 2019
CD is pretty chill with the occasional controversial thread here and there. AD and SD on the other hand...
Jul 18, 2022 8:45 PM

Mar 2016
MAL is pretty tamed compared to other forums/social medias so id say 3/10
Jul 18, 2022 8:53 PM

Jun 2021
I'd say pretty toxic but not nearly as toxic as other platforms. This is coming from someone who was really toxic on the internet.
Jul 18, 2022 8:59 PM
Grave of Flowers

Dec 2012
depends on the board you're talking about I guess

although the tame-looking ones are probably not what they seem to be, one of them (at least) has a discord server where all sorts of slander and gossip can and probably does happen
┍━━━━»•» «•«━━━━┑

🎖️ mal badges
🏠 blog navigation
🏆 graph badges

┕━━━━»•» ☠️ «•«━━━━┙
Jul 18, 2022 10:59 PM

Aug 2018
Casual Discussion board is very welcoming towards incels. New MAL users will feel at home soon enough.
Jul 18, 2022 11:36 PM
Cat Hater

Feb 2017
It depends on the definition of toxicity, really. You are more likely to get insulted or harassed on MAL than you are on Reddit or Twitter (without the person being immediately banned as a result), but there is also a lot less "mob mentality" and a lot more diversity of thought in here, which is a good thing. Right now, a large number of threads cannot really be described as civil, so I'd give it 5/10. Depending on which users are active, it could range from anywhere between 2-8.
Jul 19, 2022 12:35 AM

Mar 2022
Not too bad! BUT the one of the things thats really bad is the way people online try to insult others intelligence! i just dont understand that?

& the other thing: I CANNOT STAND when ppl insult others on here if their grammar is incorrect (& im a virgo) or if english isnt their 1st lang... i see it happen wayyyyyyy too much on here,

especially when I think viewers of anime should be one of the most lenient in this case... Is Japanese your fist lang? No? huh didnt thik sooo SoO why do you feel the need to insult someone else's words/thoughts & constantly give English lessons? WHY?..... *DING! rant completed!*

春雨や ものがたりゆく 蓑と傘
Jul 19, 2022 1:26 AM
Jul 2018
Some regulars are toxic, but that's usually something that stays in Casual Discussion.
Jul 19, 2022 2:20 AM

Aug 2020
NextUniverse said:
They are not toxic, at least, not after the death of CE, but even then, I've seen worse. Mostly in the form of 4chan.

Do you really think 4chan is that toxic?
Jul 19, 2022 2:27 AM

Jul 2019
killer918 said:
NextUniverse said:

Do you really think 4chan is that toxic?

No, it is just worse. Some boards are pretty funny or more relaxed than I would have imagined.
Jul 19, 2022 2:31 AM

Sep 2017
It's getting better if I am to judge.

You can compare the winter/spring threads and the current ones, I think we're growing out of the edge.

"It's getting boring"

Well, why don't you guys post about your passions, your ideas ?

Do you enjoy only slurs and hate speech cuz dem pc peeps don't like it ?

Then I'd say you're the boring ones, I like forums that have more personality than yet another anon "based" post.
Jul 19, 2022 2:36 AM

Dec 2015
Knowing how toxic is polish internet and polish people in multiplayer video games, mal forums are receiving a 0/10 after experiencing that. Bruh there is no toxicity at least I ain't seeing that

In this video just change the singular slurs into insulting everysingle person, everysingle person's family members and add multiple slurs which are untranslatable to english language. Even the most popular memes of polish internet are based on insults and slurs x) [Because of his pronuncitioun of letter R (1st video) and his voice pitch alot of times at voice chats in video games people taught that I am the legend of the internet Testoviron, cause I have a similar pitch and I have french accent, but well we're 2 different people with quite similar voices]
ZettaikenJul 19, 2022 2:50 AM
Jul 19, 2022 2:53 AM

Jan 2021
Depends on the forums. For example some popular anime forums always tend to get toxic no matter what the content is like Aot, Fmab, Kny etc.
If you enjoyed the time you wasted, then its not a waste of time.

Jul 19, 2022 5:46 AM

Nov 2017
I've said it here before, but it's the only place I go to (counting offline too) these days where I'm most likely to see jerkasses and the intellectually deficient.

I don't know how to feel about that, lol. Also, thankfully this is an online space so I can ignore and block if I need to so it's not a big deal
Jul 19, 2022 5:58 AM

Sep 2010
Sad said:
@ateks out of interest what sort of toxic stuff do ya see on the reccs board? 7 is pretty high

It's always the same few people recommending the same few anime in every thread and when you tell them it doesn't really fit what was asked for they get mad and insult you and the op for not being specific enough etc etc. Although I didn't use it in a long time so I don't know if it's still like that.
Jul 19, 2022 6:07 AM
Yare Yare Daze

May 2022
Boring more of the word. Stupid not toxic tho. Same topics and people say the same shit over and over. One Problem it's same people too. No new blood.
AmityblightJul 19, 2022 6:28 AM
Jul 19, 2022 6:12 AM

Dec 2021
in my experience, not toxic at all. then again i'm not active here
good opinions on anything, block = I own you
Jul 19, 2022 6:16 AM

Dec 2020
Rather than this particular forum or any other online place being toxic, I feel that people just become more and more snowflakey over time. I think they need to toughen up or GTFO.
Don't know what I want, but I know how to get it
Jul 19, 2022 6:16 AM

Oct 2020
idk not active much nowadays, though back then was really toxic.
Jul 19, 2022 7:38 AM
Jul 2018
Doesn’t seem like it’s regularly toxic but instead goes through bouts of toxicity depending which users are online and the mood they’re in.
Jul 19, 2022 7:43 AM

Jun 2022
Doesn't seem too bad in CD. I don't frequent the other subforums as much. Maybe it gets gnarly when people actually talk about anime.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» How many of your friends are friends with you just to make fun of you?

LenRea - May 1

25 by Loyal_Sheepling »»
22 minutes ago

» Help me find this video

AverageRiceFan - Nov 6, 2023

10 by tinshard »»
47 minutes ago

Poll: » Which of these 6 things matters most to you?

IpreferEcchi - 9 hours ago

18 by JaniSIr »»
48 minutes ago

» Why aren't Americans rioting over the fact that McDonalds is now a Luxury Item?

vasipi4946 - May 30

34 by Tropisch »»
1 hour ago

» Why don't you have a cat/dog?

tsukareru - Yesterday

21 by Noboru »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.