Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 9, 2019 10:10 AM
Sep 2013
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Maybe it wasn't a good idea to see two in a row, given its slowness. It's been a while since I've watched a samurai anime.
Oct 9, 2019 11:13 AM
Apr 2018
Interesting. Can't wait to see how Hamasaki would play this one out.
Oct 9, 2019 11:28 AM

Dec 2013
That's it more than just an average samurai anime.
It's slow cinema, brutal, yeah, disgusting, yeah, but slow and can be bit too hard for most of the viewers. Piece of art is it. Definitely.
I'm also suprised, because I didn't know about new adaptation of Blade of the Immortal until today and it's very rare.
Beautiful, we'll see what's happenineg next. Hopefully will be even better.
Oct 9, 2019 11:43 AM
Apr 2017
i didnt watch the first episode
but i have question for the manga reader
did they skip anything? if yes, was is a lot?
Oct 9, 2019 11:46 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Can’t say I’m fully hooked just yet but I’m really liking the aesthetics of the show so far! Really glad that the gore element isn’t getting censored here though, it wouldn’t feel like a proper Samurai (of this dark sort) anime otherwise after all.

Animation isn’t all that great to be brutally honest although the style enhances the grim setting but the Classical Japanese-esque music, on the other hand, is a wonderful treat. Some of the transitions feel a little off-putting too but I suppose that’s like a charm to the series at the same time.

Character-wise, I’m not really invested into Rin just yet sadly. It’s hard to keep up with her swift changes too, lol. Manji-san, on the other hand, plus Kenjirou Tsuda are a perfect mix so I’m definitely looking forward to more of that gold combination throughout the course of the series.

Lol @ that little “Onii-san. Onii-sama” moment in the end there and a pretty tense fight for the episode. Looking forward to seeing what next is in store for us!
_MushiRock11_Oct 9, 2019 12:00 PM
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Oct 9, 2019 12:03 PM
Apr 2016
LacrimaMosa666 said:
That's it more than just an average samurai anime.
It's slow cinema, brutal, yeah, disgusting, yeah, but slow and can be bit too hard for most of the viewers. Piece of art is it. Definitely.
I'm also suprised, because I didn't know about new adaptation of Blade of the Immortal until today and it's very rare.
Beautiful, we'll see what's happenineg next. Hopefully will be even better.

Careful there, average user. Excessive brutality stopped being art long time ago - the age when disgusting people was enough to be called a masterpiece if long over; pseudo-elitists lost on every battlefield except in paintings-art, maybe. From what you have written, the only "artistic" value of this series is... excessive violence itself? Or, rather, it's careful, meticulous depiction? I would advise against being this loud when it comes to violence, as series that can be praised for their depiction of violence only... are nothing decent. So you are welcome to find better arguments the next time I decide to visit this... outskirt of modern Japanese animation. And I will surely be back for the final episode, to see what the others, like you, have to say about all of this.
Re:formed
Oct 9, 2019 12:53 PM
Jul 2018
Its been a while I felt so much absorbed with a show. Pacing is so seamless.. feels this episode mixes up two story and it works imo. The character development is really there. The voice acting and color and the sound design were just mean to be and perfect.

I think from the first episode they skipped tons of material like I remember watching 2008 edition which felt like so dull and slow and the remake just skimmed the beginning of the story within 1-2 minute. I don't think that could much contribute to story and the remake just telling the part of the manga story that would be contribute most and some of the other parts telling vaguely via symbolism.
Ultimately maybe just is it me I am tired of watching so many 1:1 panel by panel manga adaptations and rather would see director take some creative adaptation like recently did with TPN. This way on the other hand, even with two perfect episodes I still can't hold my hope high yet since two or three bad episodes will basically ruin the whole show(*cough* Karakuri Circus *cough*) and needs to be very consistent all the way.

That says, only weird thing I felt on this episode was the few sudden comedic parts that was not present on the first episode. I think this makes less exhausting to watch though. Also OP is weird too and positive is there wasn't any spoiler.
Oct 9, 2019 12:55 PM

Jul 2013
Well, now they rushed both Rin and Manji meeting master Sori and the first encounter the two have against Magatsu in a single episode (it is easy to notice due how abruptly the segment of Magatsu starts respecting the previous one). I know its still early to judge, but I'm really fearing for this adaptation. The fights this episode also didn't looked very impressive (it helped they were kinda rushed), let's hope the next ones will deliver.

On a possitive note, it's a pleasure to hear Tomokazu Seki again in Blade of the Immortal, even is he's not voicing Manji, and he's here as master Sori instead (lmao). He was truly hilarious.
The final scene with Rin calling Manji "nii-chan" was pretty cute, I liked that one.

OP/ED were meh.
IllyricusOct 9, 2019 1:04 PM
Oct 9, 2019 1:00 PM

Nov 2016
Well, this episode managed to sell me the premise. But damn, as many already pointed out, a lot of stuff is happening simply too fast.

Guess I'm better off with the mangaprobably will make me dislike this adaptation for real

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 9, 2019 1:23 PM
Sep 2016
Some interesting directing ideas poorly implemented. The script is horrible tbh...and the animation...just.
I really wanted to like this but wow this is bad if I'm being honest. Decent soundtrack at least.
If you're going to remake something at least...what's the point
Still better than most recent anime I guess
JudoJDOct 9, 2019 5:56 PM
1.1.Six
Oct 9, 2019 1:30 PM
Apr 2015
Illyricus said:
Well, now they rushed both Rin and Manji meeting master Sori and the first encounter the two have against Magatsu in a single episode (it is easy to notice due how abruptly the segment of Magatsu starts respecting the previous one). I know its still early to judge, but I'm really fearing for this adaptation. The fights this episode also didn't looked very impressive (it helped they were kinda rushed), let's hope the next ones will deliver.

On a possitive note, it's a pleasure to hear Tomokazu Seki again in Blade of the Immortal, even is he's not voicing Manji, and he's here as master Sori instead (lmao). He was truly hilarious.
The final scene with Rin calling Manji "nii-chan" was pretty cute, I liked that one.

OP/ED were meh.

Episode adapt chapters 2 and 3
Episode not rushed
Yes fast pacing but not bad rushed
You should check chapters to know
Oct 9, 2019 2:27 PM
Jun 2016
IMO regarding episode one, they condensed it down enough that they could move into the main story with new viewers still being able to figure out what the backstory is while fans familiar with the source (manga or original animation) don't have to rehash it. Regarding this episode, I laughed pretty hard when the painter wielded his sword. Do not trample art folks. Thats our lesson today. The animation is not clean and crisp but I don't think it was meant to be. I feel they are going with a dark, gritty art style and the animation reflected that. I loved it. As an aside, not a fan of the OP. It just doesn't suit the atmosphere of the art. I do love the ED though.
Oct 9, 2019 3:09 PM
Feb 2016
Livius2001 said:
The show has a decent atmosphere but there's a serious lack of tension here given that Manji can't die.

Are you stupid? That shit is Nitpicking tier, Manji can't die but they can tear him apart and lose fights like in episode 2
Oct 9, 2019 3:13 PM

May 2018
Ok, so if Manji can't die, but he can still be outwitted.
Oct 9, 2019 4:47 PM
Apr 2018
Two episodes adapted chapter 1-3. I don't think it's bad. Lmao the amount of people complainin.
Oct 9, 2019 5:05 PM
Feb 2016
Livius2001 said:
JOBEY-C1 said:

Are you stupid? That shit is Nitpicking tier, Manji can't die but they can tear him apart and lose fights like in episode 2

That doesn't matter peasant, he still almost killed that guy at the end. He can always try again if he loses.

Your complaint is stupid, but of the stupidest complaints you can say to this work; Agni in fire punch is immortal too but in that manga he is a juggernaut with insta kill, Manji on the other hand fights directly, does not think things and does not care so much about himself for his same immortality, even if he does not die there are many ways to end with him.. You are an idiot

Even so, Taito won because he is smarter than Manji, there are several ways to eliminate immortals that are shown in the manga but it does not mean that your complaint is one of the lowest tier ever
AestheticLaifuOct 9, 2019 5:08 PM
Oct 9, 2019 5:21 PM

May 2015
for now is decent,lets hope they don't skip entire arcs.
Oct 9, 2019 8:42 PM
Sep 2016
JOBEY-C1 said:
Livius2001 said:
The show has a decent atmosphere but there's a serious lack of tension here given that Manji can't die.

I have to agree with the lack of a sense of tension. They even try making it look like someone's about to kill the chick and I'm just here like "meh...incoming last-second save in 3,2..there it is". It's happened twice and I'm already tired of immortal badass (reeeee) guy dude miraculously sneaking up on these supposedly skilled fighters who, as shown earlier in the same fights, could easily detect incoming attacks with the first guy now even having his guard up. I get it's a "Turn your brain off and think it's cool" kind of thing but (I can't do that and) it's kind of (really) insulting. I cn't be forced to care when Deus ex Machina type stuff like the guy teleporting out of that 'sinking mud' and crawling up on his opponent like..I get your immortal but now that's just some bs
1.1.Six
Oct 9, 2019 8:54 PM

Jan 2013
Livius2001 said:
I already adressed this, refrain from repeating yourself :)
Also this is anime discussion but lets assume they are going to show ways to eliminate him, we have yet to see how it will play out. The damage has already been done.

They are going to show it soon just wait I won't spoil anything else. You haven't seen anything yet and your complaints are unwarranted since it's episode 2.

JudoJD said:
JOBEY-C1 said:

I have to agree with the lack of a sense of tension. They even try making it look like someone's about to kill the chick and I'm just here like "meh...incoming last-second save in 3,2..there it is". It's happened twice and I'm already tired of immortal badass (reeeee) guy dude miraculously sneaking up on these supposedly skilled fighters who, as shown earlier in the same fights, could easily detect incoming attacks with the first guy now even having his guard up. I get it's a "Turn your brain off and think it's cool" kind of thing but (I can't do that and) it's kind of (really) insulting. I cn't be forced to care when Deus ex Machina type stuff like the guy teleporting out of that 'sinking mud' and crawling up on his opponent like..I get your immortal but now that's just some bs

Manga was published in 1993 dude. Get a grip. Go watch something else.
Oct 9, 2019 9:31 PM
Sep 2016
A low-budget, rushed af adaptation so far. They are trying to adapt the manga as minimalisticly as possible.
Well, it was expected. Man, they have even got the anime title wrong lmao.
Oct 9, 2019 10:06 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Pacing seems fine to me. The tidbits they've skipped aren't too bad. This episode adapted a bit more than half a volume. As long as they keep it 90-100 pages per volume, it's all good. I'm pretty sure there's episodes that can do almost an entire volume because there were volumes with not much dialogue.

What worries me more is the visuals. They're not bad, but not too impressive either. The manga had some of the greatest action choreography I've ever seen/read. It would be a shame to see those fight not getting the treatment they deserve.
Oct 10, 2019 12:51 AM

Mar 2019
I'm not a fan of the visual style. It reminds me of Shigurui. That sun bleached look that is low on color, high on white as if the contrast is set on max. It feels like it's trying to blind the viewer most of the time.

And the action scenes weren't impressive at all.
Oct 10, 2019 1:38 AM
Feb 2016
The animation, directing, and music are all great. The only issue is the pacing. Let's hope we get another 24 episode season.
Oct 10, 2019 2:23 AM
Sep 2019
I still don’t know how to feel about this show. I’ll watch some more an see.
Oct 10, 2019 3:03 AM

Jul 2017
Episode 2 in a row...and it lacks a lot of the conflict from the manga and the tension, it all felt like fodder for Manji and uncecessary gory for us. Not to mention that Liden Films' quality is subpar when compared to the original source. Heard that it's like through artistic vision of the director who did Texhnolyze/Shigurui but it's like, is it really? Those shows felt like it's been quite sometime.

I mean like another episode (like Babylon's 3 episode premiere) would be nice, but it seems that they have no intentions to go further. Glossing through Chapters 2 and 3, I was laughing internally than taking this seriously, and it seems that way.

1st arc coming soon, and I really wanna see some action. Like legit craving for it.
KANLen09Oct 10, 2019 3:10 AM
Oct 10, 2019 9:08 AM

Apr 2017
This episode adapted 2nd and 3rd chapters of the manga. People who say it's rushed don't know what they're talking about. They only skipped some unimportant dialogue. Phasing from one scene to another is not good that's why it looks rushed.

And for people who think it has no tension. Well, you are right, for now. I don't wanna spoil so you will find out if you continue watching.
Oct 10, 2019 10:07 AM

May 2018
I don't get having an OP and an ED if there is nothing to show there except the people involved and the music? If that's the case they should have shortened them both (I am not a fan of the OP song either).

Other than that a good episode (the animators probably saved a lot of time not having to animate the OP and ED anyways xD)
Oct 10, 2019 2:04 PM
Oct 10, 2019 3:34 PM

Jan 2013
Love the directing, it draws you in and never bores you. Rin is too cute at this point.

I liked that guy Manji fought. Hope we see him again
Oct 10, 2019 6:44 PM

Sep 2011
Some aspects are amazing. Some aspects totally suck. The art is amazing in some places. It is literally seizure inducing in others. The writing is not cohesive in some places. In others it is really interesting. Overall the pacing is just atrocious.

I can't pin this series down.
Oct 10, 2019 10:16 PM

Jul 2016
Mostly at the same level that the first episode. It was just OK.

The pace felt fast for moments and the fight between Manji and Magatsu, though a bit more fluent in terms of animation, wasn't something really impressive if I'm honest.
Oct 11, 2019 12:40 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Pretty solid show so far but not exactly amazing either. But the manga is pretty well-established so I have decent hopes for it at least
Oct 11, 2019 1:01 AM

Dec 2018
Really enjoyed this so far ,,This is how i want my samurais anime to be ,,Dark very brutal and with a serious tone ,,Rather than stupid jokes running around screaming and crying,,,,, If Manji get sick of being a samurai he can always start to paint!! He seems to have a talent for it

I like the art style and it fits very well overall ,,I give you 6/10 ,,,Great start!! Love the two first episodes,, Keep it up!!!

Yuri-CrusaderOct 11, 2019 1:19 AM
Oct 11, 2019 1:34 AM
Jun 2009
I am watching 2 episodes in a row and have to say I like it. The first episode was mediocre and this one is actually good. It is far from a masterpiece but I enjoyed it. Definitely not dropping the show.
Oct 11, 2019 1:44 AM

Jan 2019
You look at r/anime's consensus on this show, lots of praise.
Then you look at this site's consensus... Pretty mixed.

Anyways, despite losing some charm in terms of rich story and complex dialogue in comparison to the original, it is still quite a competant adaptation and pays homage to the original's atmosphere. The manga was never really about the action, as Manji never dies, and I think the director is well aware of that.
It was jarring at first, but I don't mind that this adaptation makes Manji's origins shrouded in mystery as it suits the atmosphere well. I might have to get used to the pacing as well, too used to slow shows.

Overall, very good adaptation so far. It could be godly if it adapted the manga slow and steadily.
Oct 11, 2019 5:13 AM

Aug 2012
JudoJD said:
JOBEY-C1 said:

read the manga or watch the older anime. Everything is explained way better.
Yazan_Aot said:
i didnt watch the first episode
but i have question for the manga reader
did they skip anything? if yes, was is a lot?

They skipped a lot. The reasons behind the actions of various characters, what happened to his sister, why he killed those people, the actual fight between the Itto Ryu and the little girl father. Also discussions between the Itto Ryu members and so on.
As a comparation the action in this 2 episodes is spread over 5 in the original version
nightcrawlercypOct 11, 2019 5:16 AM
Oct 11, 2019 6:20 AM

Sep 2019
They really like their interesting weapons in this series. Blades with hooks, multiple blades, deadly fidget spinners, and more. Although, I won't lie, they really brought out the brutality.

Will say, I was uncertain on the slow pace, but I'm sold now., and that Rin-chan reminds me of To the Abandoned Sacred Beasts 's Schaal, but... better in a sense. Apart from that, I don't think there'll ever be a chase where I don't like a Kenjirou Tsuda character.

I'll most likely keep continuing to watch this. I'll give it a Manji backstab/Dark Souls backstab.
"You know you've reached peak quality when a doujin is better than the actual source series." (Eg. To LOVE-Ru)

Just to list a couple of biases.
Likes: A good story, characters, writing, romance, a good plot twist or something that breaks expectations (In a good way), 'backstory' and justice.
Dislikes: Bad romance, too much fanservice, the harem genre, yuri, yaoi, and bad writing.

Oct 11, 2019 11:51 AM

Feb 2017
Enjoyed this episode as well, but definitely feels like they are speeding through the source (which seems to be the case judging by other replies here). Almost like a highlight reel. Though I don't find it much of a problem... yet.
Oct 11, 2019 7:19 PM

Dec 2018
Didn't read the manga so i don't care if it is being rushed or not, but the pacing sure feels fast. Don't even know if i can call these fight scenes since they are just slicing each other. Direction is good as expected and i'm liking it overall.
Oct 11, 2019 8:51 PM
Aug 2019
The art of this episode is magnificent, I'm enjoying this anime so far
Oct 12, 2019 3:00 AM

Oct 2008
when i comes to first blood Manji looses, but when it comes to ending-up whose gotta be alive in a brutal battle, Manji 100% wins!
5/5.

Oct 12, 2019 3:07 AM

May 2015
Anime of the season right here.
I can't believe I was gonna skip this one.
Oct 12, 2019 7:39 PM

Apr 2007
I wasn't sure what to expect from their relationship, but to hear Rin refer to Manji as her brother just because he always says she looks like his sister, that's amusing lol

I'm enjoying this series, but I feel like it could be better. I just need to stop being lazy and read the manga already.
Oct 13, 2019 2:02 PM

Mar 2018
This adaption is too rushed. It's just jumping from scene to scene without any transition or explanation how they got there.

But I guess that's to be expected when they intend to adapt everything. Maybe I should just go back to reading the manga.
Oct 13, 2019 3:13 PM

May 2017
i dont know if i can endure 24 episodes of this. The story is lacking substance the characters are pretty uninteresting so far and the writing feels off. I cannot imagine a scenario where you would feel any tension in any of the fights just for the sole factof him being immortal. I think that was the third time in 2 episodes where the enemy thought that he had finished him off and got stabbed in the back.

the art style, the setting etc is cool but idk about the rest.
Oct 13, 2019 7:13 PM
Jan 2019
The OP is great, I mean the song, it's great, although if I had more dynamic in the scenes, I would top my list of openings of the season.
It is now known that Manji was a former armed police officer, and that Rin is 16 years old.
A touching scene when Rin calls Manji "brother", now she sees him as more than just a bodyguard. That man has my respect, he took the trouble to recover Rin's father's sword. I take my hat off. peculiar couple 😅.
Oct 13, 2019 8:28 PM

Mar 2012
anikevin said:
Anime of the season right here.
I can't believe I was gonna skip this one.

It we take the source MnJ was the best material by far (Beastars n°2) this season. You could only blame yourself if you miss it. :p
Oct 15, 2019 12:19 PM
Mar 2015
That artist loved the blood and would only fight when they ruined his painting. The other guy needs to learn to never turn your back on the immortal.
The immortal's new name Baka Nee-san
Oct 16, 2019 6:21 PM

Jul 2016
landofthekwt said:
That artist loved the blood and would only fight when they ruined his painting. The other guy needs to learn to never turn your back on the immortal.
The immortal's new name Baka Nee-san

I hope every fight does not just turn into immortal gets killed.

then stabs them in the back.
Oct 17, 2019 6:23 AM

Aug 2018
I like where this is going. I can't wait to see more.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Blade of the Immortal (a hidden masterpiece).

Thecrot - May 14

10 by Thecrot »»
May 14, 10:24 PM

Poll: » Mugen no Juunin: Immortal Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Mar 25, 2020

54 by Apreggi »»
May 14, 4:33 AM

Poll: » Mugen no Juunin: Immortal Episode 23 Discussion

Illyricus - Mar 18, 2020

19 by Apreggi »»
May 14, 4:31 AM

Poll: » Mugen no Juunin: Immortal Episode 22 Discussion

Hatsuyuki - Mar 11, 2020

22 by Apreggi »»
May 14, 4:25 AM

Poll: » Mugen no Juunin: Immortal Episode 21 Discussion

Hatsuyuki - Mar 4, 2020

11 by Apreggi »»
May 14, 4:24 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.