Forum Settings
Forums

Do you have a genre you prefer or no? Are you picky on certain genres?

New
Jun 11, 2017 9:35 PM
Apr 2016
Just something I was curious about. While I personally like psychological/thriller/horror more I will watch comedy/drama/slice of life/romance ect extra. Although the pickiest genre is romance, I'm very picky on that genre.

Do you have a genre that you prefer? Or do you have a genre that you're really picky with? If so to either of them I'm curious what they are.

Also I tend to hate harems and not give them a chance just because it seems to be the same story just with different characters. No offense to those who do enjoy harems.

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jun 11, 2017 9:40 PM

Oct 2015
acording to my mal stats, i prefer action, sci-fi, psychological, supernatural, mecha. that being judged by the genre tags used on mal, which for the most part is true. now, the issue is i don't really trust the tags used on mal and i don't think they're very accurate generally. there are somewhat more specific things i prefer, like the over-the-top gainax/trigger shows (or similar done by other studios), urban fantasies, magical girl etc.
funnily enough, it also says i really like mysteries, which is in fact false, because i think most mystery anime is weak and i prefer it in other mediums.
"I came here to sniff Madoka panties and kick witch ass and I am all out 'doka panties" - Homora Akemi
Jun 11, 2017 9:46 PM

Mar 2015
my comfort zone is comedy... i also like to try outside my comfort zone...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Jun 11, 2017 9:48 PM

Apr 2017
Neither But I despite Shoujo Ai/Yuri and Shounen Ai/Yaoi cause I loathed them even more.

My unusual routine when it comes to genre, From Comedy - Mystery - SoL - Action - Psychological - Seinen - Thriller - Romance
-HippySnob-Jun 11, 2017 10:00 PM

"Think about that glowing dust
That destroys the night sky's dream of
Just being nothing"
----
Jun 11, 2017 9:54 PM

Aug 2016
I prefer action and/or comedy, but I'm open to watching other genres.
Jun 11, 2017 10:05 PM

Apr 2017
I usually like Comedy or Slice of life but I am okay with most genres around, just not horror & gore. I cannot watch it for too long. I am too lighthearted and easily scared. -_-
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 11, 2017 10:11 PM

Jun 2015
SoL and comedy are my favourites. I usually avoid action anime.
:)
Jun 11, 2017 10:15 PM

May 2017
I prefer romance/slice of life/drama/comedy. And very very picky with action/adventure/fantasy types.

"We're all human. We all make mistakes sometimes.
Just don't make mistakes when lives are at stake."
~ Great-Grandmother Mikage, Gin no Saji

Jun 11, 2017 10:20 PM

May 2009
I prefer action-packed series. So mostly, I prefer shounen, adventure, fantasy, psychological, thriller, seinen.
I'm not picky with any other genre. I'll watch anything, though other genres are lesser priorities.

“I despise common sense.
I’ve seen the world from every possible angle.
This cruel, ridiculous, beautiful world.”

- Lacie Baskerville

||❀||
Jun 11, 2017 10:23 PM

Apr 2017
i like horror/thriller/drama/comedy the most. i hate most of sci-fi animes or anything that has something to do with robots. ecchi and harem are both starting to gain a no from me

still life: pink roses
Jun 11, 2017 11:23 PM

Jan 2013
I don't really have any favorite genres, I don't think there's any genres/types of anime I like more than others. There is some stuff I avoid though: harems (I never watch reversed harems, but I'll still watch a regular one from time to time if I feel like it), yaoi/yuri/hentai (I don't like sexual anime, I'm okay with yaoi manga though), shoujo romances (I've had enough after 8 eps of Kaichou wa Maid-sama), ecchi (just don't like it animated, but it's okay in manga format). Other types of anime are all equally okay for me and I'm not really picky. I usually pick stuff to watch on a whim anyway.
Jun 11, 2017 11:27 PM

Feb 2017
Well I do prefer the Action/Adventure and Comedy/Slice of Life genre more than the others, I don't really try to avoid any other genres. I mean as long as I am enjoying watching it, I can watch it no matter what genre it is. Well maybe not Harems, I mean harems are worth watching if you have an MC who maybe has some personality and isn't the densest being on the planet.

"All it took was an arm and a leg"
Jun 11, 2017 11:30 PM

Jun 2016
I really like to watch/read different genres, but I definitely love horror.
Jun 11, 2017 11:32 PM

May 2017
No, not really. A lot of times, I feel like it's fun to have more variety in watching anime. I used to watch harem a lot, until I switched it up - slice of life, school, comedy, shounen, thriller, sci-fi: all of those were watched in just one month for me.
Jun 11, 2017 11:38 PM

Apr 2016
I like all genres. I'm not particularly picky about them. Although I do sometimes avoid anime which are too artistic or philosophical. My brain cannot really handle those. And I think most yaoi anime which are meant for a fujoshi and/or female audience. I do like shoujo though.
Jun 11, 2017 11:43 PM

Dec 2016
I don't have a exact genre. If the anime doesn't have a bad ending then i'm fine with everything
Jun 11, 2017 11:50 PM
Apr 2016
So it seems like people are pretty open to quite a few genres, while maybe not liking a few certain ones. That's what I figured, I do remember that I was extremely picky when I started to watch anime, but then loosened up on the different genres that there were. (Happy I did as well; otherwise I would have missed out on some great ones).

Jun 11, 2017 11:55 PM

Dec 2015
I hate shoujo, josei, and anything that has a female MC
edit: shounen/shoujo-ai as well, and stuff with wimpy male protagonist
_Rhapsody_Jun 12, 2017 12:01 AM
Jun 12, 2017 1:26 AM

Jun 2012
I'm picky enough with shoujo/romance, they have all the same circumstances with different characters.

I don't dare to try Yaoi, I've seen some of it accidentally, it's tragic.

My favorite type of anime is fantasy. In a world view entertainment, probably horror.
Jun 12, 2017 1:28 AM
Jul 2018
I don't prefer any genre more than the other but well if we talk about which I prefer.

Anything that has Fantasy, Action, Supernatural, Slice of Life, Comedy, Psychological Drama, and Mecha are my most preferred compared to others.
Jun 12, 2017 1:33 AM

Nov 2015
RnDNEET021 said:
Neither But I despite Shoujo Ai/Yuri and Shounen Ai/Yaoi cause I loathed them even more.

My unusual routine when it comes to genre, From Comedy - Mystery - SoL - Action - Psychological - Seinen - Thriller - Romance

This is basically me except that i'll switch action and mystery position
And i dont really mind Yuri/Shoujo Ai
~Yume's Ass and Shihiro's Boobs are gifts from God for us foolish Mortals~

Jun 12, 2017 1:42 AM

Aug 2013
Slice of life, romance and drama all the way. I like Sci fi (especially mixed with mentioned genres), but unfortunately many Sci fi series are unwatchable for me, because of high amount of forced 'deep' and thick atmosphere. I like psychological series too, but truly psychological (can me mixed with horror or thriller), not something like Death Note. Rather something like Higurashi or Bokurano.
I avoid most of action series (especially battle shounen crap) and most of pseudo philosophical and/or overartistic anime, most of isekai. I don't watch any long running series, anything with yaoi and fujobaiting, anything with full 3d animation.
rsc-plJun 12, 2017 1:46 AM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jun 12, 2017 1:52 AM
Jul 2018
I'm only picky with genres I really love. Psychological for example. I adore the genre, but it's quite hard finding an anime with that genre that satisfies me completely. Same thing for mystery.
I used to avoid ecchi, but then I decided to get out of my comfort zone and started watching it, so now I'm quite fond of it and I haven't really been disappointed by it so far. At least not a lot.

Things I avoid now are music series, idol series, most mecha and most of the sports one.
And romance, when it comes to it, it's not that I don't like it or that I'm picky with it, but I have to be in a certain mood to enjoy it. There's absolutely no way that I would've enjoyed Toradora or Special A if I watched it while I was stressed by tests or smth like that.
Jun 12, 2017 1:53 AM

Apr 2013
I prefer comedy, action and ecchi.
I'm not fond of mecha and drama anime in general.
Jun 12, 2017 1:59 AM

Aug 2015
my favourites are romance and psychological/thriller. But i wont just watch a bunch of the same genre in a row, because then they get boring. I like to watch everything, im not picky about what i watch.
Jun 12, 2017 2:00 AM

Oct 2014
rsc-pl said:
Slice of life, romance and drama all the way. I like Sci fi (especially mixed with mentioned genres), but unfortunately many Sci fi series are unwatchable for me, because of high amount of forced 'deep' and thick atmosphere. I like psychological series too, but truly psychological (can me mixed with horror or thriller), not something like Death Note. Rather something like Higurashi or Bokurano.
I avoid most of action series (especially battle shounen crap) and most of pseudo philosophical and/or overartistic anime, most of isekai. I don't watch any long running series, anything with yaoi and fujobaiting, anything with full 3d animation.

Does that include the FF movies? Although they are in full CG, they certainly look a lot better than anything on TV.
Jun 12, 2017 2:16 AM

Nov 2016
Isekai anime immediately catches my eye but if it's too ecchi then i lose interest. I love OP animes too.
Jun 12, 2017 2:19 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
ecchi harem and slice of life i'd say, although i like anything with fanservice mixed in
Jun 12, 2017 2:20 AM

Jul 2015
Yes im picky when it comes to genres
I prefer drama thriller action fantasy romance
I avoid sports mecha sol parody
tragedydesuJun 12, 2017 2:25 AM
Jun 12, 2017 2:22 AM

Oct 2016
sure i enjoy Supernatural and Action but i don't watch it because it has Action and Supernatural in it, i watch it cause of the anime as a whole, not just 1 or 2 genre.
Jun 12, 2017 2:25 AM
N/A

Jan 2014
This depends on the mood really. SoL is probably my favorite genre.. well that is what you see in my top10, but in a different timeline or mood - supernatural/horror, romance/drama/comedy or shounen/action/sports. Shoujo is the genre I try to steer away from because it is usually hit or miss for me.
Jun 12, 2017 2:47 AM

Oct 2014
I'll watch any anime if it's good, but comedy slice of life is a genre I'm more willing to watch regardless of quality. I tend to avoid battle shounen and sports anime just because I feel like they wouldn't appeal to me, but of the few I have tried most I've liked.
Jun 12, 2017 3:01 AM
Jul 2018
I'm not sure is this a genre but personally I can't stand those anime where one female protagonist is surrounded by many good-looking guys (for example Brother's Conflict, Uta no Prince Sama, Kamigami no Asobi, Diabolik Lovers...) and every episode focuses on one guy getting to know the protagonist.

Usually the problem is that these are based on otome games where you have freedom to choose the guy with the protagonist should fallen in love but in anime every guy needs to get attention, so we end up spending most of the anime just getting to know boys but we don't get a good story and our protagonist usually stays bland sweetie who just follows along.

It's just...let' just say frustraiting
Jun 12, 2017 3:07 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Glorious harem/ecchi master race

They're separate genres but they go together hand in hand so often I usually just put them together at the top whenever I'm talking about my favorite genres. I can like them both separately, but when it's separate I'd lean towards ecchi over harem so it could definitely be argued I prefer it of the two.

CGDCT is pretty great too, I'll usually look towards those sometimes for the sake of appearing as so, but not as heavily as H/E stuff.

Other than those three my preferences aren't strong enough to turn away most things based on genre, except I'm not super into spacefaring-type sci-fi (which isn't much of a thing in anime to begin with, the type of sci-fi usually found in anime is cool with me) or parody stuff, which would both be stuff I'm capable of liking but rarely do.
ManabanJun 12, 2017 3:11 AM

Jun 12, 2017 3:11 AM

Aug 2016
I don't even check the genres, sometimes. I just go ahead and watch it for the premise and stuff. Sometimes knowing genres might lead to expectations and false assumptions.
Jun 12, 2017 3:32 AM

Feb 2013
everyone has genres they prefer >_>" wtf

++ yuri, mystery, drama, sci fi, psychological

+ supernatural, slice of life, mecha

- action, adventure, fantasy AKA shounenshit

avoid sports, yaoi

picky idk not often... maybe shoujo
romagiaJun 12, 2017 3:59 AM
Jun 12, 2017 3:54 AM

May 2015
I prefer to Slice of Life, romance and comedy thou. But sometimes, i watch other genres too
Visit our website, Loligane Indonesia!

Jun 12, 2017 4:19 AM

Feb 2013
REOSW said:
romagia said:

- action, adventure, fantasy AKA shounenshit

Implying that every shounen is battle shounen; and that every battle shounen is shit
shounenshit was a priori defined as this particular combination of genres
the latter is more debatable but the truth value empirically approaches 1
Jun 12, 2017 4:22 AM

Jul 2013
According to MALgraph, my favourites genres are:

1 Supernatural
2 Mystery
3 Comedy
4 Parody
5 Military
6 Shounen
7 Drama
8 Seinen
9 Thriller
10 Vampire

And I think is more or less true. I also tend to like Action and Harems.

My least favourites genres are Mecha, Dementia and Shoujo/Shounen Ai.
Jun 12, 2017 4:30 AM
VA-11 HALL-A

Aug 2014
I usually avoid sports shows since I'm not an avid sports fan as is and since a lot of sports anime play to the fujo's out there *cough cough*... Yuri on Ice
Mech's aren't my thing, but that said, my fave anime is a mecha one.

SoL's are my jam though. Which is ironic that I find them the most entertaining when not much really happens.

"πšƒπš’πš–πšŽ 𝚝𝚘 πš–πš’πš‘ πšπš›πš’πš—πš”πšœ πšŠπš—πš πšŒπš‘πšŠπš—πšπšŽ πš•πš’πšŸπšŽπšœ."
β˜† π™°πš—πš’πš–πšŽ π™»πš’πšœπš β˜†
β˜† πš…π™½π™³πš‹ β˜†
β˜† π™±πšŠπšŒπš”πš•πš˜πšπšπšŽπš›πš’ β˜†
Jun 12, 2017 4:34 AM

Jul 2009
Though I might prefer some genres over others, I pretty much enjoy every type of anime since I've got favorites from all over.
Jun 12, 2017 4:45 AM

Jun 2016
My definite favorites are Slice of life and Comedy.

I'd say i'm picky on almost everything or nothing, depends on how you interpret it.
But certain genres i generally dislike (for example: action, mystery,..) have to be better to be as enjoyable to me as a technically worse Slice of life/Comedy.
Jun 12, 2017 5:20 AM

Jun 2016
My ultimate faves are slice of life and comedy. I honestly LIKE all the genre, except romance. Ew. Hahaha! Though, I'm into yaoi and shounen-ai, definitely the reason why I can't handle romance because of STRAIGHT ROMANCES are so freaking cliche with them annoying MCs and cliche plots. -_-

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)οΌβ˜†β™ͺβ™ͺβ˜†οΌΌ(^0^οΌΌ)
Jun 12, 2017 5:23 AM

Feb 2017
I usually prefer shōnen, seinen, action, sometimes mystery or horror or thriller. But once in a while,a bit romance or slice of life is good too for relaxation. But if the anime is good, really good, I don't judge. I really love Haikyuu!! And Yuri!!!On Ice while I don't actually prefer sports anime.
Jun 12, 2017 5:32 AM

Apr 2017
I will watch any genre even the ones I hate. For example I hate harems, but every once in awhile you have that one awesome character. Date A Live has Kurumi Tokisaki. I think most ecchi is poorly done, but there are a few gems among them like Prison School which has ecchi/fanservice that is actually funny. I didn't find the characters designs that appeal, but it's whatever. I watch ecchi for the sexual humor not as fap material like most people seem to do.

Genre Preferences: Romance, Seinen and Yuri

Genres I'm Picky about

Hentai- When it's comes to visuals I harsher on hentai since its main appeal is sex. Also it's pretty much fap material and there plenty of kinks that are major/instant turn offs for me. So yeah I have to selective when it's comes to things like that.
Jun 12, 2017 5:38 AM

Oct 2016
Drama. Fantasy drama, psychological drama, romance drama, historical drama, mystery drama.... Basically any kind of drama (with zero fanservice, because that's disgusting). I'm also into slice of life, especially if it has some delicious cooking along with it. I'm not big fan of shoujo, much more into josei, but I guess that has to do with me being in early 20s and getting bored with your usual kind of manga. I see a lot of manga (especially shounen fighting manga and shoujoish romances) I would read 3 years ago, but no they are big NO. Actually lack of manga like Vagabond, Innocent or Monster really bothers me.
I'm picky about romance. I actually don't read manga that has romance as a main gender. I read manga for inspiration and if I want to read romance, I'll read books. And I barely watch anime, 'cause it downgraded in every aspect (Čast izuzecima).
Jun 12, 2017 6:05 AM

Apr 2015
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Mahou Shoujo, Mecha, and Psychological/Dementia is my life.
(Well and motorsports but that's a totally different thing).
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Jun 12, 2017 8:51 AM

Nov 2016
I'm usually not too picky regarding the genre of a show, there are just two or three I avoid.

If I have to pick favorites I think they would be sports, drama, romance and slice of life.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jun 12, 2017 9:12 AM

May 2015
I'm not picky over genre unless it says 'psychological'. Then again, for many people 'psychological' is just 'whoa weird visions'. I rely on art style when I look for anime.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jun 12, 2017 9:14 AM

Feb 2015
I like SoL, Psychological anime and mecha. I hate shounen.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Recommendations of Disappointment ( 1 2 )

JaaShooUhh - Jun 12

54 by TransferUser »»
6 minutes ago

» Why do you think about Orihime from Bleach?

isolated-otaku - 5 hours ago

18 by SubstanceAnime »»
13 minutes ago

» An anime analogue of your favorite Western animation

RobertBobert - Apr 9

27 by Doukanon »»
14 minutes ago

» Who here has a more Unconventional first ever anime?

TheBlockernator - 2 hours ago

8 by 3miL »»
15 minutes ago

» First look at "THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE WAR OF THE ROHIRRIM" Anime Film. ( 1 2 3 )

Old_School_Akira - Jun 11

111 by Viriathus »»
33 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.