Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 20, 2011 3:00 PM

Jan 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
WOOT it's the end ;D.

Fantastic, really. Even for it's time, it was a wonderful anime.
Feb 16, 2012 10:49 AM

Feb 2012
I'm glad I stuck with this anime. I was worried at first, but like most reviews said, if you stick with it, things get really good.

I'm happy with the ending, despite it being a pretty happy ending.
Aug 5, 2012 7:07 AM

Jul 2011
FINIS!!
What a great anime indeed... phewwwww! it was like a drama roller-coaster!
but that never hurts anyone (^_-)

I'm really satisfied by the ending it was happy for all, however I didn't want Miya to end up lonely.... it's good that Nanako found someone (n_n)

this anime deserves 9/10 for sure (^_^)
Mar 26, 2013 9:05 PM

Jun 2009
The drama was honestly a bit hokey at times and I didn't always connect with the characters, except for Miya who got a pretty crappy ending imo. However the themes of the show were pretty solid, if not always explored to my liking. I'll give it a 8/10 for now though I'm honestly considering a 7.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
May 7, 2013 9:38 AM

Nov 2011
Wow, a surprise, HAPPY END! ^^
I really loved this anime and it gave me lot to think about.
The only thing that i didn't like much was that the end suggested that the real love is only between men and women. And it's somehow hard for me to digest Prince Kaoru's turning into a (house?)wife by the last episode >(
Well, I think it's ok as long as they're happy. I'm so glad they had a baby!

There should be more animes like this!

Nov 18, 2013 2:57 PM

Jun 2010
This last storyline was really pretty weak; something of a disappointing way to close out the series.

It does highlight its nature, though; there is no explicit long-form storytelling in this series. It is rather composed of a series of more or less independent storylines composed of a few episodes each. We might learn something important about one of the small cast of central characters, but what happens in each storyline does not have much significance going forward. I don't want to be proscriptive about form and these storylines are almost all quite good but I have to say I missed something running through the length of the work.

There is arguably some nuanced, unstated things running through the series, like character development. For example, Nanako starts the series in awe of various older people around her (Henmi, Fukiko, Kaoru, Rei, perhaps her own parents) and through the series each is demystified and she engages them on a more realistic level. Fukiko seems be more aware, despite herself, that she cannot force the world to be to her liking. Rei's fixation on Fukiko became less passive and fawning. This kind of light touch (or even unintentional touch!) to storytelling is really rare (blunt overstatement being much more common), so I really like that it's there.

A small thing, but I also rather liked the older design for Nanako in the final scene. This kind of thing often isn't done very well (just changing the length of the hair is a common shortcut), but her face looks different and less round and childlike. It's a convincing attempt at the same person, but older.
Mar 3, 2014 10:32 PM

Aug 2013
What an awesome series. Melodrama at its finest. It was like riding an emotional roller coaster and I enjoyed every minute of it.

CinnamonHime said:
The only thing that i didn't like much was that the end suggested that the real love is only between men and women. And it's somehow hard for me to digest Prince Kaoru's turning into a (house?)wife by the last episode >(

Haha I know what you mean. This is probably why I didn't enjoy the last arc as much. The princely Kaoru vanished. She was still the same strong woman sure but maybe if they showed us more of Kaoru's feminine side her transition would have been easier to digest.

The the source material was written in the 1970s so perhaps even if Ikeda Ryoko wanted to do a yuri end, the backlash would have been greater then.

Ahh...so sad that we don't get series like this anymore nowadays.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Apr 27, 2014 8:41 PM

Dec 2011
Wow I'm glad I watched this on a whim, I forget how I stumbled upon it. I thought it was great all the way up to episode 33. The relationship between Kaoru and Henmi seemed really forced to me and I just wasn't feelin it. There's just something missing from the ending and it doesn't seem complete to me. Still enjoyed it nonetheless 8/10, great character development and loved the design of it all.

Jun 12, 2014 12:06 PM

Sep 2010
Kaoru had a baby! I hope Miya finds love one day again!

7/10 might change to 8 later.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Jul 30, 2014 2:08 PM
The Priest Esser

Nov 2011
The lst 7 episodes should've never happened that way.
idk why I was here but I'm prob back to playing Hunt: Showdown 1896 again when you read this

Oct 25, 2014 7:20 PM

Apr 2009
nice happy ending! this anime was an emotional rollercoaster and it's been a while since I felt that emotional while watching an anime. Admittedly, it was at times overdramatic, but considering the time it was made I could overlook that, and it didn't make it less enjoyable. Funny that I discovered this anime by pure coincidence (rec-list of Daddy Long Legs). I honestly like this ending for Kaoru better than in the Manga (which I read afterwards). Couldn't deal with it if they chose the canon ending, Rei's fate was enough for me.
Overall, 8/10 from me.
Feb 13, 2015 2:08 AM

Sep 2014
What an emotional rollercoaster. I don't usually like drama (okay, maybe I do) but I could tolerate it for this series. I laughed and yelled out a lot; the fact that this show evoked so much emotion from me proved that I was into it. I really didn't like the last arc at all though.
Feb 16, 2015 4:43 PM
Apr 2014
The emotions this anime made me feel really..it was good and made me think a lot and there were many feelings that are so understandable.
Really I do not remember an anime that made me cry in so many episodes or let me feel and think like I am living at Nanako's side.
Like a new own world I was driven in.
It was so beautiful and I am sad it ended. I want to be more in Nanako's lives.
And at the end I understood that people who we judge superficially have more really more than we think and that really everyone can take part at doing something very nice together.
Many things I am left with to think about. Loved it.
Feb 16, 2015 4:46 PM
Apr 2014
MeleVas said:
The lst 7 episodes should've never happened that way.

I was at the beginning thinking what am I watching and what is going on.
But I think it is good that it was the way it was.
There is so much we can never know about circumstances of other people and perhaps it is a good message for me and everyone not to judge...
Really interesting.
May 20, 2015 9:00 PM

Feb 2008
I actually liked the final arc. They properly gave each character some closure, with Miya finally giving up on Henmi. The final episode was a bit weird, considering the show was constant drama and latest episodes went even into tragedy, so the final episode being pretty light on content was weird, but a good ending.

I guess I had some minor problems with some bits here and there, but I'd say that it's a pretty strong 9/10. Brilliant drama by the genius himself. Now that I've finished both RoV and Dear Brother I might finally tackle Utena properly.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Sep 29, 2015 11:37 PM

Jun 2009
Eh, fairly disappointing overall. For some stupid reason I watched this mainly because I was told it had yuri. It had none. At all. It did have one of the most ridiculous deaths in anime history though, so yeah...

In the end just a regular shoujo and I know why I usually don't watch them. Liked the final episode so I guess I'll rate it 7/10, was honestly considering a 6/10 though.

No yuri...
Mar 21, 2016 7:33 AM

Sep 2013
Huh... Well, I'm glad no one else died, except for a few moments, I can't really say I liked the last arc either. Kaoru was my favorite character, so I'm kinda disappointed her character changed so much, she got a happy ending though so I can't complain too much I guess. I'm a bit disappointed how class s this turned out to be too, but overall, this anime has aged well and was pretty enjoyable.
May 6, 2016 10:34 PM
May 2016
It was a very satisfying ending. It left me feeling very happy. It was certainly happier than the ending to the manga.
Jun 17, 2016 10:00 AM

Nov 2011
Well, happy end. I'm going to read manga now. As I know, it has a little difference.

I love characters, they are strong. Sometimes I don't like the plot, it's a little bit weird. Sometimes it turned out very controversial.

I do hope, that the strange endings of some storylines were because of censorship, unfortunately. It's pretty old thing and super bold for that time. Kaoru seems to be the most suffering person. She is so strong and that ending... Well, at least she's alive. I believe that for Rei dying was the best way there. Because... Would you imagine her going out with Henmi or something like that?

All yuri and shoujo-ai hints faded away at the end. But the most wonderful scene is with Rei and Kaoru at Rei's appartment.

There are beautiful music, art and so on. Don't know about rate. So many marvelous things there, as well as frustrating. 10 would be too much, may be 8 or 9.
Jul 23, 2016 5:47 PM

May 2010
Okay, they've changed ending A LOT from the manga, and I'm not sure if I like it... It feels a bit forced, almost as if it was changed just for the sake of having happy ending for this series. Last page of manga felt really tragic, but also realistic, it made a huge impact on me. Here I was just like "oh, okay". Weak reaction in comparison.

Besides that, it was a decent series. Not the best, I wouldn't call it a shining, hidden gem, but I'm glad I saw it. Loved the music, artstyle was okay-ish. The best part were definitely seiyuu, they did a great job here. I wish I could them in some other series, especially Rei's voice actress.

As for the plot - arcs and storylines in manga weren't nearly as developed and complex compared to anime adaptation, but because of that that series was often dragging on. This could be easily adapted into 26 episodes, probably for the better.
Also, it's really a shame it had almost no yuri, it was more like some soap-opera, only dealing with slightly darker themes. And even one kiss and giving more screentime for one of the couples would make a huge difference. Too bad!
Oct 17, 2016 9:41 AM

Jul 2009
Was putting it on-hold for awhile cause of my massive backlog, but I finally decided to finish this. Never read the manga, but all I gotta say is that this show was just incredible. Maybe I'm being biased cause it's my first taste of old shoujo-ai, but I really love the sharp drama here. It really reminded me of those telenovelas I used to watch with my parents when I was a kid XD

The themes all hit home for me since I'm in an organized group myself, so I can relate to Nanako pretty well. Nanako herself was a bit unlikable at first, but her development throughout the series is nothing short of impressive. My favorite is definitely Kaoru though. Dunno why I'm attached to bitchy characters in anime so much lol.

As for the pacing, I never felt like the show dragged on even in the final bits. Maybe it's cause I was enjoying it a lot. Artstyle was eye-catching and the character designs are nice. The freeze-frame shots were never annoying and instead helped dramatize the scenes.

Easy 9/10 and an addition to my favorites. Now that I'm familiar with the directing style of Mr. Dezaki, really can't wait to see Ashita no Joe later!
Nov 8, 2016 1:20 AM

Jan 2010

The last episode, my goodness. It feels like a weight has been been lifted off my shoulders.

I don't know what to say about this series anymore. It was an amazing experience, and I resent it for being so tightly woven that I'll need to rewatch it in the future to catch some of the earlier foreshadowing bits. Yeah.
Mar 11, 2017 7:24 PM

Oct 2014
Absolutely awful ending, complete garbage.
And this is from someone who was a huge fan of the manga and loved the series up until episode thirty-three.

What a slap in the face.
Mar 11, 2017 7:37 PM

Oct 2014
CinnamonHime said:

Yeah, the stuff with Kaoru was a huge turn-off. And the point about real love being between men and women was super strange, because they made it clear for the first 90% of the show how real the bonds between these women were. Like when Nanako's parents were talking about how "Soon you'll fall in love (with a man) and it'll be a special love," I was just like "But she already fell in love, and it was real and special. What the hell is this??"

God, when a show is bad from the start it doesn't hurt as much when it ends like crap. But when it's like this and it starts so good, it's just so exponentially painful.
Jun 15, 2017 7:37 PM
Jan 2017
I feel so sad after finishing this anime. I don't quite understand why. It had a seemingly happy ending, yet I just feel so sad.
Jun 15, 2017 10:14 PM
Jan 2017
alex_ichiban said:
CinnamonHime said:

Yeah, the stuff with Kaoru was a huge turn-off. And the point about real love being between men and women was super strange, because they made it clear for the first 90% of the show how real the bonds between these women were. Like when Nanako's parents were talking about how "Soon you'll fall in love (with a man) and it'll be a special love," I was just like "But she already fell in love, and it was real and special. What the hell is this??"

God, when a show is bad from the start it doesn't hurt as much when it ends like crap. But when it's like this and it starts so good, it's just so exponentially painful.

I think so too. It might be why I feel so sad about the ending.
Jun 17, 2017 7:55 AM
Nov 2015
I won't hear "Onii-sama, namida ga tomarimasen anymore"
Nice ending, everyone's grown, though the last arc don't measure up to the "school revolution" arc.
Oh man Saint-Juste didn't have to die. But well, her death brought new experiences and emotions to all the characters, so it was "good" in a way.
Even Fukiko dreamt of Saint-Juste telling her to seek a real love, not idolatry. Though I would like the show go deeper into that really.
Jun 17, 2017 8:10 AM
Nov 2015
The talk with Nanako's Dad where she demands to know everything about her family and her dad says she is her own person, if she wants strongly to, she should ask her mother. And that each person has a deep secret that maybe cannot be said to even the closest person, but that doesn't change that they love each other.
Well, telling all about her dad woulda been good, but going so far to say the above is even better. Well, life has mystery, there's no answer to everything.
Jun 17, 2017 8:30 AM
Nov 2015
It got me back to watching long animes, by being such a wonderfully comedic show at the start. of course it was unintentional, but all the still frames, dramatic music, melodramatic events of the first 5 episodes are just fukking insanely hahaha. I'm remembering that feeling now.
Well, to be able to draw out real emotions and make me almost cry after that is already an accomplishment in itself.
And I also treasure this last episode, because it is the happiest and most quiet ep in a rollercoaster of ridiculously awesome melodrama.
Jun 19, 2017 12:06 AM
Jan 2017
The last episode ended with Nanako leaving for school on her first day as a sophomore right ? Orihara went to Germany with Henmi after her first year. So how come by the start of the next year, she's already had a baby with him ? Well I have the answer to that already which is adoption. But just saying, it didn't occur to me at first.
Jun 19, 2017 12:25 AM
Jan 2017
Roloko said:
Kaoru had a baby! I hope Miya finds love one day again!

7/10 might change to 8 later.

Or did she ? Think again. 9 months had not passed since she married Henmi. The child was adopted.
Jul 4, 2017 4:23 PM
Aug 2014
Where are Koaru's parents in all this? She's also apparently 18 and still a first year high school student. Mariko's father also really screwed them in the divorce it seems.

Liked the show a lot more early on and didn't really care fore the last arc at all. It also became apparent that this show was more arc based than I was hoping with characters left to the side till they were needed again.
Jul 21, 2017 6:32 PM

May 2016
liked the ending

im glad we got to see kaoru have a happy ending

also older nanako ;_; just wish tomoko was by her side in the last shot
pureJul 21, 2017 6:36 PM

Sep 8, 2017 6:52 AM

Nov 2008
The ending kind of left me unsatisfied with Kaoru's change of "atmosphere?" from princely charming and reliable to a more subdued version of herself, but she also had lots of things happen to her so I dunno what to say tbh. I just felt meh at the end.

I'm still angry at the way Rei died, but her death disentangled all the negative feelings and drama of Onii-sama e. Well, I'm glad that I stuck with this anime through its first episodes and didn't drop it. It was a great show.
Dec 25, 2018 11:47 PM

Aug 2016
yeah, solid end with some good christian marriage between man and woman and less lesbians. cool stuff.
:v
Dec 26, 2018 12:56 PM

Jan 2013
mono-breastfeeding is the perfect solution. dezaki knew his stuff well enough. well played, well played.
Apr 21, 2019 5:27 AM

Feb 2017
Although that Saint-Juste's death and the few episodes after that felt forced, it's back with its usual heartwarming feels and ended up with a satisfying ending. Truly one of the best anime I've ever watched. 9/10
Aug 29, 2019 2:26 PM

Aug 2015
This does follow a Confucian trajectory in which the homosexual dalliances for most of the anime are redirected into heterosexual relationships and the parents suddenly become more important to the story. At the same time, this is one of the rare anime that not only acknowledges the existence of divorce, but it's an important transition in the lives of the characters it affects (Shinobu and her mother and father).

Funny enough, the only character who explicitly expresses homosexual feelings is Nanako, iirc. There's enough fuzziness around Rei, Fukiko and Shinobu to be plausibly "non-gay" despite what seems to me to be pretty obvious homoeroticism around these characters. The story ends with a wedding and Nanako's affections turned towards the opposite gender, indicating Nanako is on he socially-approved Confucian path after a turbulent adolescence of sexual experimentation and furtively smoking cigarettes-that is rather disappointing to me, but not unexpected for 1992. Dear Brother seems to be a classic example of yuri relationships coming to "bad ends" in anime-specifically, Rei dying en route to her (very obvious) date with Nanako- like, for real? Can't Rei and Nanako at least get their date before Rei dies? Can't Rei at least die doing something cool and nihilist, like a heroin overdose?

Despite initially feeling Nanako was a cipher, I actually think I like her the most, perhaps for the sense of having had a journey with her. Shinobu also grew on me considerably during the course of the series after taking an instant dislike to her and her borderline behavior. Honestly, I felt in the first two-thirds of the anime I was watching a visual novel in which Nanako seemed to be route-switching between Rei Asaka, Fukiko and Shinobu lol The overthrow of the Sorority was my favorite part of this anime actually, tbh it was better than the French Revolution in Versailles no Bara.

The Japanese cultural theme of transience becomes prominent in the last 10 episodes. The summer festival in this episode highlighting the change in seasons, the end of summer and symbolically the end of adolescence. The transience of Nanako's homosexual affection for Rei Asaka, the transience of Kaoru's relationship with Henmi due to her cancer, the transience of Fukiko's one-sided love with Henmi; and Rei Asaka's pointless death that I am still salty about. In Japan, transience is celebrated as making something beautiful because it has a short life, and we certainly see that here. Fukiko tries to fight that transience unsuccessfully by preserving that summer in her room, and in a more extreme example, insists on double suicide with Rei to preserve the beauty of their relationship, before time destroys it. Ironically, the allegedly deep-rooted tradition of the Sorority is also transient, and the hierarchy is abolished. Perhaps there is a more radical kernel to be gleaned from the overthrow of the Sorority is that Confucian rules governing society are also transitory, but as is typical for Japan.

It's also interesting to see realistically fucked up Japanese families in anime for once, e.g. family situations arising out of male improprieties, drug use, bad behavior, etc.

I found the soapy drama around the school and family problems engrossing though there is an over-the-top tendency for objects to literally break at important dramatic moments that borders on camp, if not walking right into camp. Art direction and art quality is on the whole fabulous.
glassknucklesAug 29, 2019 2:35 PM
Dec 23, 2019 3:00 PM
May 2019
Oh wow. There ends one of the greatest shows I've ever watched. I simply loved every single minute of this. It's really sad this isn't all that popular because this is a truly beautiful show.
Sep 21, 2020 9:44 AM

Jul 2015
I know I shouldn't expect otherwise from an old shoujo series, but the overdramatic scenes were a little bit too much for my taste even to the point were I found them rather comedic. But still overall pretty good series with some eccentric characters who all at some point had to improve themselves with a nice happy ending (except for Rei who is dead because she jumped to catch some silly flowers....)

Nov 23, 2020 5:45 AM
Apr 2016
At the last few episodes the show went a little downhill for me, but that doesn't nullify the greatness of the first 3/4 of the series. This is likely the most psychologically accurate anime I've seen so far — I've seen a lot of psychological anime, although not as many as I'd like to.

Watching the hardships of Rei, Mariko, Nanako, Kaoru, and Fukiko from point 1 (foundation) to 2 (influence) and then 3 (resolution) was a ride I'd buy tickets for any time of the day, one I'd recommend to almost anyone. It boggles my mind how this show is rated PG-13 in spite of depicting extremely controversial subjects such as suicide, drugs, bullying, and more in an upsettingly realistic light.

I'm going to go check how Rei died in the manga (I heard it's changed in the adaptation), since I'm incredibly unsatisfied with how it went over here.

EDIT: Just read the manga and in it, Rei died from overdosing (likely suicide). @Reapermask we can only blame the studio!
blankNov 23, 2020 6:00 AM
Feb 9, 2021 3:22 AM

Apr 2020
woah ! i really fell in love with this anime such a beautiful ending and character development just wondering if mariko and takashi ended up together
Sep 3, 2021 10:04 PM
Jan 2019
The ending was horrible. Kaoru's character was decimated and Rei's death was pointless. How the hell did it take Kaoru, an active princely person and turn her into some subdued baby machine in a boring hetero relationship. Bordline homophobic, left such a bad taste in my mouth after 37 amazing episodes!!!!
Sep 6, 2021 12:57 PM
Aug 2021
I loved the show. I wish they didn't turn everyone straight in the last episodes though.
Sep 29, 2021 6:18 AM

Mar 2014
Well any positive thoughts I had about this were ruined by the weird Kaoru romance crap. Also found it funny how girls were tryna commit suicide throughout yet the only death was a laughably bad accident.
Jan 7, 2022 1:19 PM

Nov 2016
I'm pleased with the conclusion. Kaoru in a wedding dress and Nanako 2 years later looked nice. Too bad Mariko x Takashi wasn't confirmed, tho.

On a more serious note, the last stretch of episodes were tainted by one minor issue. Reis death had some sort of foreshadowing, yet the execution left a bad taste. The accidental nature made it seem like the sole purpose of including it was to affect the other characters and more misery porn xD How she died could be perceived as callback to her delirious state from episode 12

FMmatron said:

I swear she will eventually succeed if this keeps going on

But I dunno, such a portrayal didn't do her justice. I finished the manga by now as well, how it went there felt at least more in character.

The anime was nonetheless fantastic as a coming of age story(especially Nanako's and Mariko's progression was a highlight; the latter tied with Kaoru as favorite character) It fleshed out characters more, added a few scenes and the gorgeous style really elevated the drama to the next level. Dezaki and Sugino are a W duo. Could've been a 10 in terms of aesthetic. Unfortunately, aforementioned aspects held it back. I think I'll go with a 8,5-9/10.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 9, 2022 6:00 PM

Oct 2021
The anime was very excellent and pretty deep in social issues that most anime are afraid to touch on at the time. Everything in Onii Sama E was good up until the school revolution arc mainly because characters were losing their characters and consistently. Especially with Miya. She was the kind that was very bent on doing anything to keep and get what she wants. But for some reason she became laxed. Also things were sort of falling apart in characters to the end. But i'd say things were very good until school revolution.
Jan 25, 2022 5:02 PM

Aug 2013
bruh that engrish though lol
i will say that the VERY ending with Nanako expressing how she has a boyfriend is a real punch in the guy knowing that this show was VERY GAY from the start. it invalidates Rei's presence and their relationship to a certain degree, but I guess this was a change that had to be made because of the time that the show came out (90s)
Other than that, i LOVED this show so much. It touched so many heavy topics and each character had such good development. I'm not leaving the show unsatisfied wondering what happened next.. overall very lovely, and definitely a new favorite. 9/10!
Jul 1, 2022 6:14 PM

Jul 2015
So no more "Onii-sama, namida ga tomarimasen anymore", or the bell / train sounds. I am truly gonna miss this show with all of its characters.

I started this show at the beginning of my last semester at university. I wasn't able to watch it continuously because of my assignments, depression, or simply boredom as the style of still images was kind of a new thing for me. I still remember how the first episode made me feel. I fell in love with Rei the first time we saw her on the bus and I thought she was a very handsome dude. Was a bit shocked learning it was a girl and the same with Kauro but it made me love them even more. I just didn't know what to expect from such an anime. None of the girls were truly intriguing to me so I would watch an episode or two every now and then. With time the show had grown up on me and I started liking all of our main girls. There was just too many mysteries that I wanted to know. And here we are almost 4 months later I finished the show after I was done with my finals and graduation project about two weeks ago. The ending of it was truly sad yet made me happy. In a way, I felt so close that I am also along their side going into adulthood that I am not ready yet to embrace. And what a journey it was full of joy, sorrow, mysteries, love, and self-exploring.

My favorite arc was as the majority, the "school revolution" arc. It was full of many surprises.

And as much as I hate the fact that Rei had to die (also in this stupid way) I honestly believe that it was necessary. We all need to go through hard times and may even need to lose people that we held dear to our hearts in order to grow and become a better version of ourselves. Rei's death as dumb as the execution of it was, it brought new experiences and emotions to all the characters and it made them grow.

What I also loved dearly about this show is how it touched so many heavy topics (drugs, divorce, unattainable love and unhealthy relationships, etc) and each character had such good development by end of it.

My only complaint is that I wish we knew where our other main cast ended after those 2 years. Did Fukiko find true love as she wished for, did Mariko and Takihiko end up together? Other than that I am happy yet sad that this part of my life had ended alongside this beautiful show.

Can't end this discussion without talking about how wonderful the music was till the very end. As well as the beautiful old-school art style. Definitely a new favorite of mine and I will watch it again a few years down the line If I was still alive. I would give it a 10/10. (I would normally give it a 9 but because it means more to me due to the significance of the time I was watching it in I can't rate it less than a 10)

Good bye Oniisama
I am sleepy
Oct 4, 2022 3:10 AM

Jul 2016
i'm very conflicted. i never continued it years ago and i'm not sure why, since i was extremely invested in it. but this was the fastest amount of episodes i've watched to the amount of days in a year and some at the very least. even if i was dragging myself through the last arc... i thought this would stay a 10/10, it seems like the best rating but i can't give it that anymore. these last handful of episodes... perhaps it starts before handful and rather began from rei's death. oniisama e was the definition of frustrating and bitter. not because i wanted rei to live. goddamn it... this anime was so heavy that i'm not sure on how to even word my unsatisfaction, i feel a tornado in my core. it's like the anime's direction lost its way ever so slightly and became 'unbecoming' per nanako's vocab. was it rushed? i'm sure that if it had been spread to 50 episodes, i wouldn't be as sorely disappointed. i still can't buy what the hell that romance was with kaoru and henmi and i still can't give a f*ck. i get that rei's death changed her but damn, that last domestic photo of her and their baby is one strong whiplash. the anime moved away from gl to heteronormativity (understandable). miya and rei were the resident wackos, kissing and proclaiming love higher than what two full blooded siblings are expected of... yet, that too is just good ol' platonic alabama angst in the end since she can't forget that summer and henmi with an acquaintanceship of seven days. you too would roll on the floor for a chance to proxy kiss an earlobe and pound on the bathroom wall that you love, hate, love, hate your sister. shinobu crushes on kaoru, has to give it up, and then it's possible to make a prediction that takashi may end up with mariko due to his interest in her. even nanako who had the biggest case for loving another female was told by her own mom that she'll get a guy eventually. and what do you know, right indeed.

9/10. i'm mad, empty, dazed. you might think i hate it but it's an amazing show.
the duality of man is wanting more episodes of oniisama e and not wanting more at all. i need a break...
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Onii-sama e... Episode 15 Discussion

MagEarwhig - Oct 2, 2011

17 by LastLuminescence »»
Sep 20, 6:27 AM

Poll: » Onii-sama e... Episode 21 Discussion

KWabbit - Sep 2, 2013

32 by artwasamistake »»
Sep 7, 10:18 AM

Poll: » Onii-sama e... Episode 27 Discussion

Naivette - Nov 13, 2011

41 by shikoiru »»
Sep 6, 12:48 PM

Poll: » Onii-sama e... Episode 24 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Mar 11, 2013

31 by shikoiru »»
Sep 5, 12:28 PM

Poll: » Onii-sama e... Episode 23 Discussion

xchee - Mar 3, 2014

21 by shikoiru »»
Sep 5, 11:52 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.