3It was OK
31.0%
2Disliked it
16.9%
1Hated it
13.3%
Average 3.1
248 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Oct 7, 2018 6:23 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This show is a bit strange especially in regards to presentings its main characters.

Despite the episode being standard length, it felt like a lot happened with Montmorency. There's also tragic scenes of war that shows its aftermath too. Poor Richemont.

Pretty much an introductory episode that sets up for rest of the season. There's also some historical references, something that I'm sure will be recurring in some upcoming episodes. Also, the themes of alchemy will likely be revisited often in the show.

Stark700Oct 7, 2018 7:57 AM
Oct 7, 2018 8:12 AM

Dec 2014
Hmm, not sure what to think of this. Compared to ever other show this season that's making strong starts and impressions, this felt pretty weak in comparison.

I'm assuming that this is nowhere near factually accurate to history but I guess it's fiction anyway so they can put their own twist on it. My only question in these types of shows is why not just make it fully fantasy if all you're gonna use is the names of some historical people and events by their name. Anyway, that's not really a gripe I have with this show in particular.

Took a liking to Richemont and Astaroth, they're pretty cute and have good designs. For a show that has Jeanne d'Arc in the title, we didn't see her in the first episode. xD

Montmorency didn't really appeal to me as an MC but let's see if he can grow on me.

As I said, I don't know what to make of this at this point nor am I sure where this is headed but I'll stick around to see what happens. Hopefully this doesn't turn into some Montmorency harem in which case I'm probably out.
Oct 7, 2018 8:40 AM

Aug 2017
I think Ill have to drop this after 1 episode...
THis looks like it will be able to compete with Blesser of Harem bullshit for worst anime of the year!
Oct 7, 2018 9:03 AM

Dec 2016
ughhhhhhhhhhhh no
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Oct 7, 2018 9:20 AM

May 2010
yeah im good after 1ep.
Oct 7, 2018 9:25 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
This could have been a lot worse but it wasn't bad imo....Kinda curious to see where this is gonna lead to story wise so I'll stick with it

Oct 7, 2018 9:27 AM

Apr 2016
I guess since I’m a degen I will keep watching heh
2D > 3D
Oct 7, 2018 9:46 AM

Jul 2015
Jesus Christ. Pass
Oct 7, 2018 10:07 AM

May 2013
looks like tits and swords, I'm in
Oct 7, 2018 10:17 AM
Oct 2009
Jesus Christ... I... I can't even come up with the right words to describe this. Any hopes for historical accuracy are dead, it's an insult to any person who has at least some knowledge about people's lives of that period(The poster kinda gave it away from the start, but ep1 confirmed the bs).
Well, looks like it'll be my mandatory "Hard watch of the week", since seeing the use of historical figures names of that period, while knowing their real deeds is painful.
Oct 7, 2018 10:23 AM
Mar 2018
Another idiocy around Jehanne Darc. Sasuga Japan!
Oct 7, 2018 10:39 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Mont sure is pretty popular with the ladies. Their little foray sure attracted the wrong kind of attention to them though. Arthur's skill with the sword was impressive considering her age. The bluff while thin sure worked out pretty well. Arthur and Mont's talk in the sunset sure was interesting. To think that in his desperation Mont really did summon a fairy and a queen as well. Hmm an interesting first episode that did well in introducing the cast and the setting. Teenagers, magic, 15th century france sure is a interesting combo though.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 7, 2018 10:39 AM

Feb 2015
Japan's obsession with Joan darc continues. I wasn't impressed with this first episode.

If your going to take a big steaming shit on history at least try and do it with some originality. It's almost like they went of Wikipedia and cherry picked people and events to fit the anime. What a huge stroke of luck he had the Philosopher's stone already.
Oct 7, 2018 10:49 AM

Aug 2013
shitty animation, so lazy

but I like my fantasy magic show, so, damn it I'll gonna watch it
Oct 7, 2018 10:54 AM
Aug 2018
This can't compete in the fall 2018 against other blazing seasons like fairy tail.
After watching the ending it looks like it goes with another flat chest magical harem series.
I hoped that idiot smooched the blonde haired beauty(richomontene) instead of that flat kid πŸ˜₯πŸ˜₯.
Oct 7, 2018 10:57 AM

Jul 2013
This honestly looks like it's going to be bad, but well, at least it's an anime about the Hundred Years War (even if it is hystorically inaccurate). Let's hope it ends being entertaining at least.
Oct 7, 2018 11:01 AM

Feb 2011
This was so badly directed lol, I got a good laugh out of it. If it wasn't for the unintentional hilarity though this would be an instant drop.

Even Taku Iwasaki can't save this.
Oct 7, 2018 11:08 AM

Sep 2017
Another instant drop of this season.
Oct 7, 2018 11:11 AM
elk sensei

Oct 2013
OK, while a bit slow, the show hopefully has potential to be better.
Oct 7, 2018 11:31 AM

Oct 2017
Well, it got seems to take some random background from the 15th century French vs the British and make it into a fantasy kind of story and that's all not sure why ppl think it is historically inaccurate while most of the anime out there are basically wrong too, you know, anime usually have different logic (why would ppl care it is a fantasy genres tag anyway ) . Well, I don't expect it to be like the underdog or sth huge but it doesn't look so bad to me, at least most fantasy/isekai magical stuff are pretty similar as long it is enjoyable whatever.

“It's okay to live, even if there's no greater point to living. -” Konno Yuuki

“God would never put us through all this suffering if he didn't think we could bear it.” -Konno Yuuki

“Life is not a game of luck. If you wanna win, work hard.” – Sora

Oct 7, 2018 12:27 PM

Sep 2017
This show is an instant drop for me. It looks like it can't choose on wether to be magical fantasy or historical, and in the end it ends up as a senseless hodgepodge of both, with overdesigned characters clashing against the historical background.

Also, the main character is your typical, blander than oatmeal, goodie two shoes who, for some reason, has a harem and magical powers. Not interested, and I would recommend everyone reading this to stay far, far away from this series. There are much better shows this season.
Oct 7, 2018 12:42 PM

Jan 2008
I heard this show had sloppy kisses and sold drinks where you could drink the main girls saliva. That's the only reason why I even bothered.

Just going to be another generic magic light novel with a lot of cute girls, the only redeeming feature it seems.
Oct 7, 2018 12:56 PM

Apr 2016
Nice 1st episode.. I like it so far
BTW why in the anime title on MAL is " Jehanne Darc" instead of " Jeanne d`Arc?? the person who made the page for anime doesn't know how to spell Jeanne d`Arc??

Oct 7, 2018 3:51 PM

May 2015
wow that was just awful, I'll give it the old 3 episode try, but I don't see myself going much further than that unless some miracle happens
Oct 7, 2018 4:15 PM

Nov 2016
This could've been nice if it wasn't aiming for more that it can handle.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 7, 2018 4:23 PM

Dec 2011
I have looked through the first episode and I can't stomach the artistic liberties taken.

A massive library with barely any security and an old scholar throwing a book to a child? That's preposterous for a time period where Gutenberg had yet to invent a printing press.

Modern style school with both boys and girls attending, and some girls are wielding swords too? In the early XVth century? ... Right. And they couldn't even mention the succession crisis in the infodump.

I can understand fanservice though I'm not a fan, but please Charlotte, don't dress like a harlot when you want to do sneaky adventures in the middle of the night.

And it's way too soon to hope for Haussmann to renovate the streets.

And the Japanese tradition of using some unstranslated name/word to describe the MC/Chosen One could have been handled way better since they picked Ulysse this time, the quintessential trickster.

Fairies are tolerable at least in this paradigm. Astaroth though isn't supposed to be a fairy, but an Ars Goetia demon, and male.

And now I'm scared of actually what they chose to do with Jeanne.

I wouldn't actually bother making this kind of rant had they inspired their story elsewhere, but I happen to be French. So I find it painful to see such a melting pot of contradictory ideas.
Oct 7, 2018 4:30 PM

Jul 2017
Nothing made absolutely makes sense, and that was some trashy directing even for the 1st episode.

Time to stake in the 3-episode rule here again...
Oct 7, 2018 5:25 PM

Jun 2012
Why are people whining about a FANTASY series not being historically accurate? Who expects historically accuracy from a fantasy series?

Anyway, it was alright. Not the best thing this season but it has potential depending on where the series decides to take it.
Oct 7, 2018 5:49 PM

May 2015
The scene transitions are...weird...

Wow, the sword choreography with Richemont was actually pretty good..

Hey! Alencon wasn't in the wrong! Erotic books are one of the best sources of learning about love!

Oh my God, they brought Jesus Christ into this, didn't they?

Well now, Alchemy, politics, religion, good choreography, fairies, girls, and the Hundred Years War. This is a lot of potential. Don't disappoint me!
Oct 7, 2018 6:30 PM

Sep 2013
this wasn't very good and the animation was bad but i got some kind of shallow enjoyment from it
Oct 7, 2018 6:36 PM

Jul 2014
Way to much information for one episode, the story barely makes sense.
Oct 7, 2018 6:39 PM

Jan 2013
Well... That was a thing. I'll give it the three episode rule, but I found the anime to be confusing and moved way too quickly.
'Dreams Start by Believing' ~ Haruhi Suzumiya

Oct 7, 2018 6:52 PM
Oct 2018
FzBlade said:
THis looks like it will be able to compete with Blesser of Harem bullshit for worst anime of the year!
nothing can beat blesser of shitty isekai shows for worst anime of the year
Oct 7, 2018 8:36 PM

Jul 2017
Dropped. I rarely ever do this but I don't see any hope in this show getting any better.
Oct 7, 2018 9:12 PM

Mar 2016
Dynpai said:
FzBlade said:
nothing can beat blesser of shitty isekai shows for worst anime of the year

Who knows? At least I finished this series, and when watched Blesser of I-don't-know-what couldn't do it
No tomo malas decisiones, solo me gusta apoyar causas perdidas.
Disfruté Mayoiga, Ou-sama Game, Evil or Live, Mirai Nikki, Big Order, Arifureta, Ex-Arm, Tesla Note, Shuumatsu no Harem y Platinum End
nope les falle con esa, lo siento pero todos tenemos nuestros límites.
Así de jodido es mi gusto en anime, ¡Y estoy pinche orgulloso de ello!

Oct 7, 2018 11:28 PM
Oct 2015
Show will probably suck but I am curious about what happened to Richemont. I couldn't see the ed properly cause my service is lagging, but was she being groped in the ending? Mont vs his old flame possibility?
JokersWorldOct 8, 2018 9:57 AM
Oct 8, 2018 1:08 AM

Nov 2016
really hoping richemont here is just a prisoner of war after that battle now and not someone who got mind fucked
Oct 8, 2018 2:23 AM
Nov 2014
FzBlade said:
tf u got problems if ur just gonna drop an anime after one single episode it just doesnt work that way
Oct 8, 2018 2:45 AM

Aug 2013
Animefan2k14 said:
FzBlade said:
tf u got problems if ur just gonna drop an anime after one single episode it just doesnt work that way

Not really if that's his kind of thing. There are those select few titles that can tell you quite a bit from just the first episode. It's just rare.
Don't believe the hype.
Oct 8, 2018 2:48 AM

Aug 2013
To say this was the weakest pilot episode of the Fall 2018 anime season is an understatement. In reality, this is just pathetic. Like this guy's backstory doesn't even make sense and who I'm guessing is going to be the main character hasn't even shown up yet. I feel like the selling points of this series will be: alternate history, big tits, and the generic war plot. So basically we got Grancrest Senki with an alternate telling of historical events/references of events for this season. 1/5
Don't believe the hype.
Oct 8, 2018 3:15 AM

May 2012
6.5 ?!

I thought 1st episode was good. I did like it
Oct 8, 2018 6:39 AM

Sep 2016
That was....pretty bad.....animation and voice acting was also pretty bad.....and is it just me or is the pacing off?
Oct 8, 2018 6:54 AM

Sep 2015
HeroSoulReaperX said:
really hoping richemont here is just a prisoner of war after that battle now and not someone who got mind fucked

That's not what the look on her face and the creepy dude groping her in the ending suggested. =/////
Oct 8, 2018 7:10 AM

Aug 2013
Not a bad episode tbh. It has the potential to be a good series.

Oct 8, 2018 7:46 AM
⚧ | ζ„›γ¨εΉ³ε’Œ

Oct 2010
Flairway said:
Why are people whining about a FANTASY series not being historically accurate? Who expects historically accuracy from a fantasy series?

Anyway, it was alright. Not the best thing this season but it has potential depending on where the series decides to take it.

I never get why people get so worked up about anime with historical elements. They're not intended to be historically accurate or anywhere close to it. This isn't even categorized as a historical anime (only action and fantasy). On the contrary, many (probably most) anime tagged as historical cannot possibly be accurate. As an example, Gintama, Black Butler, and Hakuouki all have supernatural elements (aliens, demons, and demon-zombie-things, respectively) that are even more divergent from history, yet I haven't heard criticism regarding their historical accuracy. (Joker Game is a notable exception, where the events could have been entirely accurate, but were not.) To put it in simple terms, anime is fiction.

And I agree, @Flairway. When you don't let every little historical inaccuracy keep you from taking the story in stride, it makes for a decent (though not particularly notable) first episode with the potential to be a decent (though not amazing) series.

As for the harem elements, I didn't particularly notice, as I was too focused the first 15 minutes trying to decide if Phillip was a trap/otokonoko, or a girl who should've been named Phillippa or Philomena instead. Then there's that other character who is implied to be a shounen/cross-dressed boy, though seemingly by Catherine's will and not his own. That said, the preview makes it pretty clear that this series won't be entirely devoid of sexual elements.
βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£
“The right to think is the beginning of freedom, and speech must be protected
from the government because speech is the beginning of thought.”
  — Ashcroft v.Free Speech Coalition,
βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£β€„βœ£
Oct 8, 2018 10:46 AM
Jul 2018
One of the weirdest time skips I've ever seen lmao
Oct 8, 2018 11:41 AM
Mar 2018
Let me guess. They captured her and have been raping her 7 years and now MC is going to save her.

Original content.
Oct 8, 2018 11:45 AM

Nov 2016
Anamartesie said:
I wouldn't actually bother making this kind of rant had they inspired their story elsewhere, but I happen to be French. So I find it painful to see such a melting pot of contradictory ideas.

As a French gal I have to agree.. I wasn't expecting so many historical contradictions when they obviously made an effort to spell some words correctly (except for Jeanne... why do they pronounce it and phonetically write it correctly but chose to spell it as Jehanne in romaji ??) : the title names that appear in the background surprisingly don't have mistakes, for once !
And they even made the effort on placing correctly most of the French cities on a map... not exactly sure that France was so thin on the eastern side, but I'm no expert in History..
Hell, they even chose a really weird sentence to 'educate' viewers at the end of the episode.. and make us appear as weirdos for having such phrases imo.. I mean really ? "encore en rut" ?? How is that a useful lesson ?? Please let me know if you ever get to use it naturally thanks to this show..

With all of that, why did they mix things up so badly ?.. As said before, role of women in society, schools, architecture and clothing are just completely off and I doubt I'm the only one who just couldn't take it seriously when the creators simultaneously try to add historical accuracy. At the very least, either try and make sure 80 % is accurate, or just go completely off-track.. doing both at the same time doesn't work.

I'm not even going to mention the over-used setting and character designs.. or the weird character names...
Oct 8, 2018 12:11 PM

Oct 2013
Seven years ? what a dumb transition just to surprise people
Nobody's came here ? He didn't remember sleeping / eating ?

Come on you can do better seriously...

The girls names made me laugh too

SNDT said:
Let me guess. They captured her and have been raping her 7 years and now MC is going to save her.

Original content.
You forget part 2

Well probably ahaha... of course she's a warrior right ?
This show came from average to stupidly bad quickly
Oct 8, 2018 12:23 PM
Mar 2018
Titadou said:
Seven years ? what a dumb transition just to surprise people
Nobody's came here ? He didn't remember sleeping / eating ?

Come on you can do better seriously...

The girls names made me laugh too

SNDT said:

Original content.
You forget part 2

Well probably ahaha... of course she's a warrior right ?
This show came from average to stupidly bad quickly

Yeah, as always OP warrior girl destroyed enemy army and in the next moment capured by 2 guys and after that suddenly forgot how to fight, became weak and obedient for 7 years in captivity while they fucked her rofl. Give me a break fucking japanese light novelists...
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ulysses: Jehanne Darc to Renkin no Kishi Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 30, 2018

46 by Ittan_Momen »»
Jun 19, 11:02 AM

Poll: » Ulysses: Jehanne Darc to Renkin no Kishi Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 14, 2018

74 by Ittan_Momen »»
Jun 18, 12:07 PM

» Low Rating ?????

quirkywolf - Feb 18, 2019

9 by Hanamura_Hina »»
Nov 24, 2020 12:15 AM

» who rated this 10 ?

Satan-sama - Aug 22, 2020

1 by mhkr »»
Aug 22, 2020 1:05 PM

Poll: » Ulysses: Jehanne Darc to Renkin no Kishi Episode 7 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 18, 2018

32 by ClickBaitBuster »»
Jun 7, 2020 1:16 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.