Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jan 7, 2016 8:32 AM

Oct 2010
I guess the ED will grow on me eventually. The OP was fine in terms of music, but quite mediocre to bad in terms of visuals. Too oversaturated with superimposed images, at some points I couldn't see anything clear at all.

The episode... a mixed bag to me. Obviously the most fascinating part was in the effort they put on the fights, it's quite clear that Takasugi vs Gintoki was perceived as the most hyped moment in the series and they delivered. The fight looks great (though some say that it's even better in the manga) and very dynamic. And the same I can say for Kagura vs Kamui, though it was shorter and less emphasized. I also loved the motivational discourse, I wish I had a Sadaharu flag to wave it at home when Gintoki talked about the Yorozuya xD

Now, about the flashback, this is where I found most of my personal issues. I admit this probably has no good basis but the figure of Shouyou has been so exploited through openings, endings, brief references and etc. that I got here and felt while watching the flashback that it didn't add anything new or significant. Of course it's relevant to the series but it simply didn't work emotionally on me. On the other hand, I'm also a bit underwhelmed by the figure of Shouyou at this point. Too perfect, too idealized to make me care for him and/or find him interesting.

Another issue I had with this episode is that it was way too solemn. Not filled with jokes or tearjerking moments, just dead serious. I guess we needed one of these in this arc but I think it could have shown more variety of mood.

Really, I can understand that this episode is so well-received due to what it represents, but I couldn't enjoy it that much, and honestly any random episode in this season has made me feel more attached to its mood. Maybe I expect other things in the series or just haven't fully adapted to the change of mood, but to me this has been by far the least thrilling and/or emotionally compelling episode of the current arc. Maybe it helps that I'm not that fond of either Takasugi or Kamui, nor that hyped about their role in the series, but still.

Freestyle80 said:
Dammit Gintoki y u no use a real sword this time? just cuz Takasugi is human? :/

Are you seriously implying that Gintoki's wooden stick is not a real sword? Damn, that's not what they said in the teleshopping advert!
jal90Jan 7, 2016 8:45 AM
Jan 7, 2016 9:45 AM

Dec 2015
^ watch it again if you can :D there are things I'd missed the first time and it got better the second, and the next episode may into you more too
and I think you see the metaphor of Sorachi pretty well, that gori sure is a damn genius, but sometime you shouldn't too concentrate in analysing and try to relax and feel the characters
but then again it's quite hard cause you're not in the same situation as the characters to actually feel them and this is what makes people have different opinions in an anime
“The greatest crimes in the world are not committed by people breaking the rules but by people following the rules. It's people who follow orders that drop bombs and massacre villages.” -Bansky
Jan 7, 2016 10:24 AM

Oct 2010
The art was a little wacky at times (as seems to be the case for this particular season) but I'm completely blown away by how well the Kagura vs Kamui part was executed. Love it!

You can also clearly see how much of their time and effort went towards the close-ups on Gintoki and Takasugi especially that blood splatter lol

And the part where Takasugi asks sensei isn't he a samurai...... well......

I've read the manga so it's kinda creepy to see how sensei talks about samurai considering what you find about him later on xD
Jan 7, 2016 1:09 PM

May 2012
The fights between Kamui/Kagura and Gintoki/Takasugi were amazing.
and the flashbacks actually made them more engaging.
Jan 7, 2016 2:36 PM
Jul 2013
Incredible, jaw dropping episode! Can't wait for next week though, I don't know if I can handle it if they do it like the manga did.
Jan 7, 2016 5:57 PM
Dec 2014
Joy4ever said:
treedude said:

You're blind. That was not average animation. Especially near the end of the episode where Takasugi and Gintoki are swinging ferociously at each other. Screenshot frames and you'll notice how detailed this fight is. Are you sure it's the animation you're complaining about and not something like the choreography?

The only better fight in this season has been Saito vs Katsura, but that was only one fight. This arc has soooo many, so of course the quality won't be as perfect as that.

I do notice the details but those details shown in the manga better, I think they push the fight faster, too much details are combined in one scene, but then again remember the Benizuka arc which gintoki and zura fight the harusame together, a lot of details shown in one scene but somehow it was perfect

So in other words, you didn't like the pacing of the fight. That has nothing to do with the animation as i expected. Don't say stupid things like it has average animation, if that's not even what you're talking about..

You can complain about the pacing or combining too many details, but not animation.
Jan 7, 2016 6:19 PM

Nov 2014
Pocoyoyo said:
KannaAyasaki said:

Glad to know I'm not alone :)) Being a shipper sure is hard and convenient at the same time~

But for the most part it's fun :'D I pity people who don't think they're adorable together xD This has nothing to do with the episode but who cares

Just at look at them :o fangirling all over again
I don't know if you read the manga but there are more Okikagu moments incoming xD

I know right, both of them are so adorable it clutch my heart <3

No I don't read the manga, I plan to read it after the anime stop airing but this arc sure has weaken my resolve haha :')
That's good then, keep the fangirl material coming X)
Jan 7, 2016 6:23 PM
Oct 2014
The fighting scenes were just epic and the flashbacks were beautiful! (i really like shouyou-sensei qwq) I liked the ED but the OP didn't sound that special to me (sounded still good)
Jan 7, 2016 10:44 PM
Oct 2013
Great episode!! The fights, the flashbacks in "letterboxed" style, Shouyo sensei.

Not fan of the OP but the ED is great.

cant wait for the next ep. This would shed a new light about things with Gintoki
Jan 7, 2016 10:57 PM
Sep 2012
DOES is perfect for Gintama especially during the serious arcs
Jan 8, 2016 12:13 AM

Jul 2014
OkitaSadist said:
Great episode!! The fights, the flashbacks in "letterboxed" style, Shouyo sensei.

Not fan of the OP but the ED is great.

cant wait for the next ep. This would shed a new light about things with Gintoki

Finally, someone that gets the ED!

Rewatching it and my God the animation and art are certainly movie tier. Just look at them fast moves with details! must have used up a lot of their budget for this, cant wait for NEP!!!!!!!
Jan 8, 2016 1:55 AM

Dec 2015
treedude said:

So in other words, you didn't like the pacing of the fight. That has nothing to do with the animation as i expected. Don't say stupid things like it has average animation, if that's not even what you're talking about..

You can complain about the pacing or combining too many details, but not animation.

ok maybe we have some misunderstanding here, it must be my bad cause english isn't my native language
I didn't meant the animation = the quality of the arts and effects but actually the pacing if that the right word you said
“The greatest crimes in the world are not committed by people breaking the rules but by people following the rules. It's people who follow orders that drop bombs and massacre villages.” -Bansky
Jan 8, 2016 2:08 AM

Jun 2013
Shouyou-sensei is amazing and so wise and the fight was fucking epic dat animation man
Jan 8, 2016 3:04 AM
Nov 2014
The OP's arright, but I love the visuals (and all the photographs!!) in the ED. Both songs're pretty nice.
The flashbacks were really really well done, and I think it was super cool how they faded out everyone's laughter and only left in that lovely piano OST when smolsugi laughed- I felt a shiver run down my back at that.
Next episode's gonna be interesting, to say the least. (oho)
Good at offending and bad at letting things slide.

Jan 8, 2016 6:32 AM
Jan 2016
This is just soo good, too awesome, even though i've read the manga, i was teary when watching this episode due to pure epicness !!

10/10
Jan 8, 2016 7:02 AM

Feb 2008
The fighting scenes were superb, proof that you don't need Unlimited Budget Works level of expenditures to create enjoyable and thrilling action scenes. The intermittent flashbacks added some well deserved depth to the confrontation between Takasugi and Gintoki (as well as the Yato siblings).
Jan 8, 2016 10:05 AM

May 2015
KannaAyasaki said:
Pocoyoyo said:

But for the most part it's fun :'D I pity people who don't think they're adorable together xD This has nothing to do with the episode but who cares

Just at look at them :o fangirling all over again
I don't know if you read the manga but there are more Okikagu moments incoming xD

No I don't read the manga, I plan to read it after the anime stop airing but this arc sure has weaken my resolve haha :')

Hahahaha same here :'D I didn't know I had a inner fangirl in me untill I watched Gintama and saw Okikagu xD

That's what I wanted to do at first but when I had watched all the aired episodes and had to wait a week I didn't know what to do with my life anymore (and I heard there were more Okikagu moments in the manga) I just read the manga xD I'm already excited how you're going to react when a certain Okikagu moment happens :'D Also next arc is amazing (I thought it was even better than this one xD)
Jan 8, 2016 10:41 AM

Jan 2013
Jesus fucking Christ what a great episode! That Gintoki x Takasugi fight was so intense, and flashback made it all more awesome. Hype for next episode is up to roof!
Jan 8, 2016 11:49 AM

Aug 2014
The change between Gintoki vs Takasugi and flashbacks was so damn amazing! I'm hyped af for next week!!!
Jan 8, 2016 1:07 PM

Jun 2015
Between the happy memories and the bloody fighting hot and cold.

The opening animation is very serious. It goes well with the arc and damn the ending made me cry. I don't know why honestly maybe I was very emotional because of the episode and all.
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Jan 8, 2016 4:35 PM

Jan 2015
Great episode, I loved the new ending! it's video was a fucking nice trip down the GinTama lane!
AhoNoGinJan 8, 2016 4:52 PM
Jan 8, 2016 4:45 PM
Nov 2013
God tier episode. 100/10

I'm glad that they're saving the budget for all the big 1 vs 1 matches, some of the best animation in the series. I thought yoshiwara would be impossible to topple in that department as far as Gintama goes. But if this keeps up I may be (happily) wrong.

The flashback was really nice and i can't wait to see what all the hype is about with THAT scene the manga readers keep talking about. You guys are killing me lol, I'm already impatient enough.

I hope the studio can keep this perfection up! Gintama for life!
Jan 8, 2016 5:36 PM

Jun 2013
Definitely a 10/10 episode in a 10/10 anime as someone said above.

This episode was epic and I'm glad that next week's episode isn't the end yet, I want to watch this arc for as long as I can! One of the best arcs in the entire series!

Finally got to see Yoshida Shouyou's face animated. He looks like Katsura + Okita combined with gray hair lol but he's awesome.

Kagura versus Kamui, she caught Kamui off guard by blocking his fist and that epic battle between Takasugi and Gintoki!!! Great way to start off the new year with a new Gintama episode!
臭い-
Jan 8, 2016 7:39 PM

Mar 2014
^ We saw Shouyou's face in Enchousen.
Jan 9, 2016 6:07 AM

Nov 2014
Pocoyoyo said:
KannaAyasaki said:

Hahahaha same here :'D I didn't know I had a inner fangirl in me untill I watched Gintama and saw Okikagu xD

That's what I wanted to do at first but when I had watched all the aired episodes and had to wait a week I didn't know what to do with my life anymore (and I heard there were more Okikagu moments in the manga) I just read the manga xD I'm already excited how you're going to react when a certain Okikagu moment happens :'D Also next arc is amazing (I thought it was even better than this one xD)

Hgggggh please don't weaken my resolve even more :'DD
Yeah I've seen a lot of people discussing about the future arcs, the arc after SSA is FS right? So many people talking about them I nearly spoiled myself a lot of times :'D

I' can't wait for the day they animated those OkiKagu moments then xD
Btw looks like we'll trashed this forum if we kept talking here haha, let's stop this conversation for now :))
Jan 9, 2016 12:56 PM

Oct 2013
This what i wanted to see !~ Gintoki's childhood, finally they showed us the flash back, usually i'm not this excited when it comes to flashback in anime, but this one is different, the long waiting moment has been paid off, EHMERGERD i can't wait for the next episode, and that last scene tho.
Jan 10, 2016 2:53 AM

Jul 2015
I translated Shougun Assassination Arc New Opening and Ending song's lyrics into English.
I hope you enjoy the songs.
OP: http://myanimelist.net/blog.php?eid=780489
ED: http://myanimelist.net/blog.php?eid=780488
I'm just Japanese who loves Anime, Manga and Light Novels.
And I translate Japanese into English to be fluent.

Jan 10, 2016 12:15 PM

Nov 2014
No amazing OP for this season yet sadly =/. But the last 2 ending songs are good

anyway 5/5 episode !
Jan 15, 2016 8:41 PM

Jan 2014
Thought I'd be tired of senseis by now, but I do like Shoyo.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Jan 17, 2016 1:49 AM

Dec 2012
What happened to Katsura, he seems intelegent and wise back then. But now grown up to be Bakatsura.

Jan 20, 2016 11:49 PM
Ceasefire NOW

Aug 2009
Gintama OP and ED quality felt like it was below average; I didn't like the fully saturated blue splotches all over the screen. =/

Anyways, awesome fight scene as usual! Always looking forward to seeing the past. ~
Jan 22, 2016 12:16 AM

Jul 2009
I actually love the new OP, ED is okay too.

Finally it's here!! Takasugi vs Gintoki!!! Animation was godly and BD will make it even better!!! Kamui and Kagura fight is good too!!

I love how it transition from past to present. Good stuff!!!!

More of this!! I want to see both guys pushed to the limit!!!

Can't wait for the next episode!!
Jan 27, 2016 1:30 PM

Mar 2015
OP - nice music/not so nice bg
ED - didnt like the music but the bg was amazing

as for the episode it was fucking awesome!!! But where is Katsura? Doesnt he have anything to say in this arc?
Feb 3, 2016 10:06 PM
Aug 2011
Ever since I started Gintama i've been obsessed with the Yato.

I don't really care about Abuto and company going 'hurr hurr we're strong' but they are kind of the only Amanto that has actually had some relevance even after that "Amanto landed on earth and fucked up our shit" premise from the very beginning of the series.
You guys remember when Shinpachi used to narrate that? lol

Not to mention that I really like their rainy planet and such.
Mar 11, 2016 7:29 PM
Jan 2016
Loved the episode even if I had a <Naruto> feeling, because of the way the flashback were intruding into the fight. Still they were so filled with information and the situation were looking natural, not only to fill a gap in the script.
Stress makes you bald, but it’s stressful to avoid stress, so you end up stressed out anyway,
so in the end there’s nothing you can do.
(Gintama)
Mar 11, 2016 7:31 PM
Jan 2016
AC_4ce said:
OP - nice music/not so nice bg
ED - didnt like the music but the bg was amazing

as for the episode it was fucking awesome!!! But where is Katsura? Doesnt he have anything to say in this arc?

Omg so true ahah hope he'll show up at some point! Haven't noticed though until it red your post xD
Stress makes you bald, but it’s stressful to avoid stress, so you end up stressed out anyway,
so in the end there’s nothing you can do.
(Gintama)
Apr 17, 2016 4:20 PM

Mar 2012
That was probably the most in depth backstory we've gotten about their past so far :o Not the biggest fan of flashbacks/backstories in the middle of a major fight but we got to learn a good amount of their past compared to the small teases we get once in a blue moon.
Apr 18, 2016 3:02 AM

Jul 2013
Dude what the hell. Takasugi is evil to the core so stop showing those flashbacks about their childhood. It makes me doubt myself about who to roof for. But that fight was soo good.

Imagine if Shoyo-sensei suddenly appeared lol.
May 11, 2016 8:26 PM
May 2009
F12x8 said:
What happened to Katsura, he seems intelegent and wise back then. But now grown up to be Bakatsura.

I was thinking the same thing. He just seems like a regular but really bright kid in the flashbacks.

I'm not sure but didn't they hint that something happened to screw him in the head? I think Gintoki might have said something that hinted at this like a ton of episodes ago....
May 11, 2016 9:16 PM

Mar 2014
dinho said:
F12x8 said:

I was thinking the same thing. He just seems like a regular but really bright kid in the flashbacks.

I'm not sure but didn't they hint that something happened to screw him in the head? I think Gintoki might have said something that hinted at this like a ton of episodes ago....
It's his way of coping with reality. Just like Gintoki's is to drink and act retarded. Hence why if you rewatch Benizakura, you'll see Katsura is similar to how he was as a kid. This is somewhat cleared up in the current arc.
Jun 23, 2016 9:00 AM

May 2012
Quite a good episode and I do like the OP/ED of this one!
Aug 7, 2016 10:00 AM

Sep 2014
So Takasugi used to have a warm soul. I really wanna know more in depth of what happened.

I really liked Gintoki's Sensei.

I now realize that Gintoki had too much of an influence on Katsura LOL

Topnotch animation this episode :D
Nov 5, 2016 3:53 AM

Jul 2012
this episode has been so worth the wait holy fuck
Jan 21, 2017 9:03 AM

Dec 2015
Their teacher Shoyo was really a kind person...

The new ED is pretty cool with the photos.
joe_g7Jan 21, 2017 9:08 AM
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Feb 11, 2017 1:39 AM

Dec 2012
Fantastic episode T_T Only Gintama can give me chills at a point that I have tears in my eyes.
The action scenes had an incredible animation and the mix with the flashback was perfect. We learned a lot about Shouyou-sensei and how he taught to our 3 boys.

Kagura made a lot of progress too. I am eagerly waiting to see her complete fight.

Regarding the songs, I find the Opening song very good, but I prefer the Ending for the animation. There are so much feelings in these pictures.
Gintama is so good!
Jul 2, 2017 2:35 PM

May 2012
I was in a constant stream of tears this episode. Shoyo sensei with young Gintoki, Takasuki and Katsura always makes me cry :((((
Nov 3, 2017 10:20 AM

Jul 2016
New OP is good but I really like the new ED

I don't mind the reused clip on the OP, obviously they saving their budget to show us a close godtier battle.
Feb 21, 2018 7:19 AM

Nov 2016
Great fight between Gin and Shinsuke,the flashback was really giving it even more spice.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 12, 2018 6:27 PM
Sep 2017
KannaAyasaki said:
Holy shit what the hell are they doing, how could they toying with my feeling like this, one sec it was an intense fight another sec it was a fluffy flashback, which direction are you going to lead me to you've literally torn my heaaaaarrttt

And I can't help but thinking about OkiKagu during the sibling quarrel--I mean, Okita indirectly helping Kagura in this fight, yeah? Lol I'm sorry but my shipper soul just can't help but taking over my instinct at that point

Yes and yes! All of this. ^^^
Nov 7, 2018 11:42 AM

Apr 2012
This arc has been so good already and now we're graced with Shouyou's presence.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gintama° Episode 51 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Tyrel - Mar 30, 2016

253 by Gentoki01 »»
Today, 1:02 AM

Poll: » Gintama° Episode 41 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Tyrel - Jan 20, 2016

160 by wibugar »»
May 9, 3:23 AM

Poll: » Gintama° Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cupc - Jul 29, 2015

125 by Jellybeanx »»
May 6, 9:10 AM

Poll: » Gintama° Episode 40 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Tyrel - Jan 13, 2016

252 by sno0pcatt »»
May 4, 5:19 PM

Poll: » Gintama° Episode 47 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Tyrel - Mar 2, 2016

113 by HyperNova06 »»
Mar 20, 11:57 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.