Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 29, 2008 5:00 PM

Sep 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Wow, that was an awesome improvement from the last two episodes. Well... maybe that's not quite right. More like, it establishes the context of the previous two episodes, which were intentionally silly, in order to set up the gravity of this episode. I'm pretty amazed at the production quality, too. Stuff like this was possible in the 80's? That's intense.

Anyway, the plot is progressing nicely. It's easy to see Noriko's character developing (good thing, because there are only 3 episodes left). I think we could have used a few more scenes with Noriko and Smith, but it's fine as is. I'm going to predict right now that either A) Coach is the guy Noriko's father saved, or B) Coach is Noriko's father.
Jan 10, 2009 5:59 AM

Jul 2008
It's pretty obvious Coach is the guy Noriko's father saved because it was shown in one of the earlier episodes wasn't it?

Anyway, wow Amano is a bitch. Also, even though Smith only had about two full minutes of screen time, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the guy at his demise. This is definitely getting better, can't wait for whats in store in the next few episodes.

The Gunbuster forum is dead though. What's up with that?
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla
May 9, 2009 1:15 PM

Feb 2009
One of my favorite moments was when Noriko opened the door to the guys' quarters after Smith died. Just that one shot said so much.

Aug 18, 2009 11:54 PM

Jun 2009
Wow, a fantastic episode. Seriously, well done. I can see why this is considered a classic. The voice acting, character expressions, and music made for one hell of an episode.
Ston3_FreeN7Aug 18, 2009 11:59 PM
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Nov 4, 2009 7:56 AM

Feb 2009
Great episode, the fear in the battlefield could be felt... it was real, I'm really eager to finish this series, the ending looks like it's gonna be awesome and bitter.
May 1, 2010 6:53 AM

Apr 2009
Touka said:
Also, even though Smith only had about two full minutes of screen time, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the guy at his demise. This is definitely getting better, can't wait for whats in store in the next few episodes./quote]
May 9, 2010 7:02 PM

Apr 2008
That was surprisingly good. I hope Smith is actually dead, if he is alive it would hurt Noriko's little character development.
Jul 5, 2010 3:45 PM

Jan 2010
TuzoAnime said:
That was surprisingly good. I hope Smith is actually dead, if he is alive it would hurt Noriko's little character development.
She is useless anyway...
Jul 16, 2010 6:02 PM

May 2009
It's getting better by the episode. Poor Noriko, but I hope that with this she can grow stronger and kick some ass.

Wakamoto singing at the beginning of the episode was simply glorious!
Dec 26, 2010 4:52 PM

May 2010
Are you serious? It's getting better? I don't get this, what the hell is going on? Did they just mercilessly killed a guy so that whimp can grow a pair? I know she is a girl, but the figurative speech's meaning stays
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Feb 4, 2011 10:20 AM

Aug 2010
Smith was a pretty cool guy. Sad to see him killed off so soon.
Apr 1, 2011 11:25 PM
Mar 2009
...wow. Noriko is way too naive. You go into space to fight space monsters. Of course there's a risk of dying. What the hell did you expect?!? At least Smith's death drives her character development.

By that I mean instead of her just yelling, "Coach!" she'll add, "Smith!" now...

These first 3 episodes kind of suck...Noriko apparently only knows the word, "Coach!" or cries for half the episode.
May 21, 2011 10:51 PM

Apr 2009
Almost got a nosebleed from reading the running text in the opening, presenting the foundations of Tannhauser physics in Gunbuster universe and in contrast to that, I enjoyed the brief and goofy karaoke duet accompanying it.

The Exelion is so big they have to run trains for mass transport on its bowels! And for a supposedly utilitarian space battleship I find it weird that they have decorative flowers on vases and plants at the bridge. In spite of that, I like how they put attention to details on it, including the technical operations and procedures.

Smith's screen time is too short and then he died just like that...anyway at least the male pilots apparently don't wear weird uniforms like their female counterparts do. XD First look at the aliens, they really look like space monsters after all.

ChronosXIII said:
...wow. Noriko is way too naive. You go into space to fight space monsters. Of course there's a risk of dying. What the hell did you expect?!? At least Smith's death drives her character development.

I agree to everything you posted there.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Aug 6, 2011 10:29 PM

Nov 2009
i mean yea noriko is a whiny little bitch but i can understand her character and the point the show is making so far. it excellently depicts the fear and feeling of insecurity of being thrust into a situation you are completely and utterly unprepared for. Coach was an idiot to bring noriko into something like this. she has no experience and is clearly way too young to be making life and death decisions on the battlefield. props to the sad music. that scene was heart wrenching.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 24, 2012 10:30 PM

Apr 2008
Smith was a really cool guy. Protected Noriko and doesn't afraid of anything.
It's a shame he's gone. I feel sad.
"Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. And some will lose more than the tips off their fingers, I promise you. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that"
Sep 7, 2012 12:37 AM

Sep 2012
Smith was here to show Noriko the cruelty of space. I thought that she understood that after the death of her father, it seems not.
Dec 29, 2013 2:33 PM

Nov 2011
Oh dat feels this episode...

Smith ;.;
Feb 22, 2014 7:49 AM

Aug 2013
Smiiiith :(
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Apr 11, 2014 6:40 PM

Apr 2013
That "onee-san" (or was is 'sama') was such a bitch. Smith had such a little screen time and then he died...
Apr 23, 2014 8:39 AM

Apr 2012
Oh man, not Smith.
Jul 8, 2014 6:24 PM

May 2012
That's pretty impressive development, I really like where this is going! So let's see what's next.
Jun 22, 2015 8:22 PM

Sep 2010
That was quick I knew Smith was going to be fodder, but in the same episode 15 minutes later? lol. xD
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Aug 12, 2015 6:12 AM

May 2015
Rest in Smithereens
Aug 15, 2015 6:44 PM

Mar 2011
SnotPockets said:
Rest in Smithereens

ayyy
Sep 6, 2015 12:36 PM

Nov 2008
Damn it, Smith!
Nov 19, 2015 2:04 PM

Jul 2015
noooo Smith :'(
Mar 8, 2016 3:29 PM

Jun 2014
........And this episode is no better than the last.

I'm still not impressed with this OVA, but I'll keep watching for now.

May 2, 2016 10:07 PM

Dec 2014
It wasn't even the fact that Smith died that made my chest tight because he was just introduced 20 minutes prior but the aftermath of it. Noriko looking at the headbands and when she went into the men's quarters especially, seeing the devastated faces of all the guys got to me for some reason. On the plus side it looks like she's going to get stronger because of this and start to become the badass I want her to be.
Jul 21, 2016 9:22 AM

Sep 2015
RIP Smith we hardly knew ye. This episode reinvigorated the series for me and really hooked me into it. Smith was such a great character for how little time we get with him. Small scenes like him and Noriko doing maintenance on the outside of the ship, produced some engaging banter and subtle characterizations so much so that his impromptu kind of cheaply animated death is pretty effective. I liked Smith because his heated flirting with Noriko deepened her character a little bit I think, gave her emotions to work with besides motivated and emotionally besot. I think this is the episode where I really became attached to her as a protagonist and not just because of that pretty sad ending.

I like how much like Jung is similar to Asuka, Smith is to a lesser extent reminiscent of Kaworu. He's a little too down to earth (ie. not a crazy alien) so the comparison doesn't entirely work. But I think it's no coincidence both of Anno's major original works feature a mysterious outgoing white haired boy who makes the protagonist open up and then is tragically killed. In the latter regard I guess this makes Smith the Goose of Gunbuster in the Top Gun comparison. That's kind of funny.

There are a lot of shots in this episode I keep coming back to. Her first meeting with Smith, them doing maintenance in space suits and their vending machine rendezvous are all dynamic and memorable visual and narrative scenes. So I find it interesting his death is the most questionably depicted part of the episode. It was pretty effective given all the buildup and the nice dialogue cue of her calling out to him. When he doesn't answer the last time you can't help but get a sinking feeling. But its still done entirely from Noriko's cockpit so you wonder if this was due to budget restraints or what.

Call me a little too prescient, but given my knowledge Top Gun inspired this OVAs plot I'm going to predict that Smith's death is going to break Noriko at least temporarily. Not necessarily looking forward to seeing her slowly build herself back up. But at least with an episode as good as this one they've earned it.
Jul 21, 2016 9:53 PM

Jun 2007
aelove said:
i mean yea noriko is a whiny little bitch but i can understand her character and the point the show is making so far. it excellently depicts the fear and feeling of insecurity of being thrust into a situation you are completely and utterly unprepared for. Coach was an idiot to bring noriko into something like this. she has no experience and is clearly way too young to be making life and death decisions on the battlefield.

Amano has no battle experience in space either, she said she only has been in space few times "on vacation". So... that all is stupid

But i think i'm going to finish this just to make 100% sure it's garbage
(and for them girls' suits..)
SorvarinJul 21, 2016 10:01 PM
see you, space cowperson . . .
Sep 20, 2016 12:02 PM

Aug 2015
smith smith smith .... *dead* , ermm wow ?
Nov 24, 2016 7:47 AM

Jun 2016
Damn, this show proceeds with breakneck speed! I suppose that should be expected from a 6-episode OVA with a story to tell.

I greatly appreciate the attention to science-related details; on the first sight of the enemy (when Noriko and Smith are outside cleaning the laser cannon lenses), when it is coming towards them, it is blue, but when it rushes past and heads away, it turns red. That's relativistic Doppler shift at work. Also, when the laser cannons are fired, they bend slightly when passing over a planet due to its gravity. The last episode was a great illustration of how general relativity can cause a space-traveler to, in a sense, travel to the future - the classic twin 'paradox' scenario. Anno doesn't shy away from the physics at all! Much respect.

Everything else was masterful too, from the chaos of the battlefield to the tension caused by a strange and unknown enemy. We got to see only a little of Smith, but I think he succeeded in winning a lot of hearts very quickly. I liked how his death was silent and off-screen - no unnecessary drama. The silence spoke much more loudly than some typical sudden death scene.
Nov 30, 2016 5:34 PM

Aug 2014
Smith had death flag written all over him from the very moment he showed up, so I'm not surprised at all by his death.
Jan 8, 2017 8:00 AM

Jun 2011
ArnoldK said:
One of my favorite moments was when Noriko opened the door to the guys' quarters after Smith died. Just that one shot said so much.

bdsbff said:
Noriko looking at the headbands and when she went into the men's quarters especially, seeing the devastated faces of all the guys got to me for some reason.

+1 .. I totally agree with this .. And that music too </3

I'm really liking this anime..
Satou0KunJan 8, 2017 8:15 AM
Mar 25, 2017 3:25 AM

Oct 2014
No why smith had to die
Sep 30, 2017 4:59 PM

Nov 2016
Good episode, everything was top notch and I can't believe that I cared about a guy like Smith after the very little screen time he had.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Nov 4, 2017 3:13 PM

Oct 2015
So really Smith is gone I kinda did like him too, that silver wolverine. I guess they had to kill him off since the story was about Noriko and Kazumi, but still he was interesting. Noriko did love him and would have made a great partner.
lihle808Nov 4, 2017 3:20 PM
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Feb 16, 2018 7:49 PM

Sep 2013
Poor Smith. He really picked the wrong partner. That girl is really bad at her job.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Feb 28, 2018 9:39 PM

Aug 2016
I was wondering why attachment between Noriko and Smith seemed forced and rushed, till he got killed, this episode was weak compared to the 1st and the 2nd one.
MichaelJacksonFeb 28, 2018 11:01 PM
:v
Nov 23, 2018 8:53 AM

Apr 2014
Man, that sad, slow ending, to the upbeat happy outro :P

I hope this buckles her up to fight and get good. Getting some annoying Evangelion feels here. -Insert Shinji meme-
Jan 13, 2019 8:10 AM

Oct 2014
kladjfjadfjkj they have no right to play with our feelings like that!! The gall, introduce a character and kill him off in the same episode will they?! ... Q____Q
Mar 19, 2019 5:23 PM
Jul 2018
Better than the last two episodes but that's not saying much. Feels forced and disjointed honestly.
May 3, 2019 5:27 AM

Aug 2017
I wonder why so many people whine about Noriko being a "crybaby". I guess it's the same public that would bash Shinji from NGE for being a "pussy". Of course, a 14-year old child has to be an instant superhero in space fighting giant monsters to death without showing any human emotion which children typically show. I mean, it's so easy, anyone could do that, right? And surely no girl would even care about a dead guy whom she'd recently met and liked, it's ridiculous! Where are my flawless overpowered protagonists?
May 7, 2019 1:50 PM

Sep 2018
Fist episode was great, the second episode was meh, it felt rushed and disjointed, this episode is a step back in the right direction but still didn't enjoy it as much as the first.
KristiwazhereMay 7, 2019 1:58 PM
May 7, 2019 1:56 PM

Sep 2018
St0rmblade said:
I wonder why so many people whine about Noriko being a "crybaby". I guess it's the same public that would bash Shinji from NGE for being a "pussy". Of course, a 14-year old child has to be an instant superhero in space fighting giant monsters to death without showing any human emotion which children typically show. I mean, it's so easy, anyone could do that, right? And surely no girl would even care about a dead guy whom she'd recently met and liked, it's ridiculous! Where are my flawless overpowered protagonists?

Actually she's 17, but yeah, still esentially a kid. But yeah, those people that always do this always get to me, though it feels odd to see those sort of comments here, usually you are more likely to see them on like kissanime our youtube, usually comments here aren't that mean spirited and reactionary.
May 17, 2019 9:30 AM

Jul 2016
Ok episode, a 3/5 tbh
May 17, 2019 9:30 AM

Jul 2016
I was hoping they would develop Smith instead of offing him like that.
May 17, 2019 9:31 AM

Jul 2016
Wanted to see more Noriko and Smith romance, ah well, pretty boring episode for the most part.
May 29, 2019 11:07 AM
Jul 2018
I am suprised to see that some people really think Kazumi(one-sama) is a ''bitch'' because of that talk with the coach, she did the right thing there.From what we have seen so far,Noriko clearly wasnt ready to fight in a real battle.Now, Smith got killed and it is a sad situation for everyone.
removed-userMay 29, 2019 11:13 AM
Jul 10, 2019 6:11 AM
Apr 2018
Definitely feel that this would've been better with 12 episodes. How am I supposed to give a fuck about a guy who got like 5 minutes of screen time? At least it's still entertaining
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Top wo Nerae! Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

naikou - Sep 29, 2008

61 by gannoncannon55 »»
Jun 7, 8:02 PM

Poll: » Top wo Nerae! Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

naikou - Sep 28, 2008

79 by gannoncannon55 »»
Jun 6, 7:21 PM

» Is the dub good?

AustinJamB - Jul 17, 2023

7 by Billy-storm »»
May 13, 12:30 AM

Poll: » Top wo Nerae! Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

MK - Aug 10, 2008

192 by jal90 »»
Feb 4, 7:04 PM

Poll: » Top wo Nerae! Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Ston3_FreeN7 - Aug 19, 2009

77 by Adriannitro »»
Dec 19, 2023 9:21 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.