Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Sep 25, 2017 2:17 AM

Dec 2014
I don't remember a lot about what's going on since the first episode came out over a year ago but I think I enjoyed it. I'm at the very least still looking forward to the anime next season.

7/10
Sep 25, 2017 9:22 PM

Dec 2016
They really saved all the feels for this final episode huh
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Sep 26, 2017 2:22 PM

Feb 2008
A delightful tale, with a few tragic notes. At least Chise found her glimmer of light in the dark world surrounding her. An intriguing conclusion.

The picture book also piqued my interest for a few moments. It seems there were rocket (or missile) launches depicted in one of the works. Given the current geopolitical situation, it felt a bit ominous...

I'm looking forward to the following series.
Sep 28, 2017 10:31 PM
Jan 2016
A beautiful way to end this OVA
Poor Riichi he had such a sad past
The lonely little star is like Chise I loved how Riichi talked about that book and you could see that Riichi was talking about Chise
Is it just me or the animation in this episode was more beautiful than the previous OVA ?
If the TV series maintain the same quality as the OVA the anime could become anime of the season and can be easily in the top 5 anime of the year
Can't wait to watch the anime
So hyped up for it
Definitely a 10/10
Oct 1, 2017 1:08 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I felt somewaht underwhelmed by this episode to be honest. I expected the finale to be more dramatic. I suppose I should be more forgiving since this is only a prequel to the meat and bones of the story.

Still lovely OVA though. Look forward to the next phase.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Oct 4, 2017 3:22 PM

Nov 2014
Dang man he been trapped in there for a long ass time, if only he knew how long and got to see her old as hell he'd freak.

I bet she still loved him after all those years.

Hyped about the tv series starting soon though man!
No drop crew, Loyal husband, sadomasochist, H&E bully, AWC fan. Click sig for n00dz!
Oct 4, 2017 4:24 PM

May 2012
Really wonderful OVA I must say, really has a nice vibe and atmosphere over it. Really looking forwards for the TV series!
Oct 6, 2017 11:39 AM

Nov 2016
This was rather enjoyable. Really lovely story. The animation was pretty solid too. 7/10
Oct 7, 2017 1:01 PM

Oct 2014
Teared up a few times throughout this, what an amazing episode
Oct 7, 2017 7:54 PM
Mar 2012
Awww the stars, Miura's calming voice.
So the library's an isekai?
Mayoiga s2 when lol?
Oct 9, 2017 5:16 AM

Apr 2016
A masterpiece ova , glad i watch before the anime
BRAWLERS
Oct 9, 2017 8:01 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
dramatic and tearful for closed this flashback episode, and how showcase for the anime series that is near to start was vry wise!!!

Oct 11, 2017 5:55 AM

Jun 2013
This OVA looked beautiful. Feeling like nothing but a nuisance, Chise felt appreciated for once. I'm probably missing a lot of context, since I haven't read the manga, but I understood this much. I'm more intrigued by the TV anime now.
Oct 11, 2017 6:09 PM

Aug 2015
That was so beautiful! So hyped to watch the anime series now.
It's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer.
Oct 14, 2017 1:10 AM

Jan 2013
Good wrap up. Something about this feels a bit weird though, maybe its just the character interactions
Oct 16, 2017 4:40 AM

Oct 2015
I wonder what is the relationship between Hatori and Elias, and most of all what is he? Damn i wanna know so badly, but this OVA was emotional and full of promises for the series so i cant wait to watch the series.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Oct 16, 2017 10:44 AM

Jul 2017
gud stuff. nuff said
Oct 23, 2017 12:42 AM

Feb 2014
Older Mayumi could have used some better voice acting. It seemed too flat to me. Until she explicitly said it, I couldn't tell if she actually remembered what the book was and who it was from from.

Besides that, this was a great conclusion to the prequel. So Miura was trapped in the library for several decades, until Chise showed up. All the while carrying the regret of not being able to fulfill the promise. No wonder he was losing his mind.

All in all, this was an 8/10 for me. Been a while since I watched a newer anime with some proper directing, cinematography, and the atmosphere to go with them. Especially considering this is based on a manga, since that would allow the studio to lazily copy-past the panels, like so many adaptations these days.
Oct 28, 2017 5:36 AM

Dec 2015
Story was a bit too shallow in comparison to all other aspects, still a beautiful introduction to what should be a good series. I wished we could have gotten an explanation from Mira about all the monsters +why they don't attack those who can't see them.
~
Oct 31, 2017 1:42 PM

Oct 2012
First two episodes were good but, I dunno, they kinda made very average conclusion, didn't like this episode much...
Maybe it's because of time spent between watching those OVAs but I felt nothing special here.

6/10 Let's hope the new series is better than this.
Nov 1, 2017 7:49 PM

Feb 2013
Awesome!! Now to start the series!!

8/10
Nov 20, 2017 12:41 PM

May 2015
Yeah, sure. Nothing new. 6/10.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Nov 21, 2017 4:34 AM

Sep 2011
I'm a little sad that this wasn't about their meeting with Elias, but I guess that will come in the actual series. I'll have to start right away.

Nov 26, 2017 6:00 PM

May 2014
And now I'm a snivelling wreck.
Probably because I decided to watch the OVA after the most recent episode, and it just makes everything way more emotional.

I sort of had the feeling Miura was a spirit because the library had this whole "spirited away", otherworldly aura about it. It seems like he'd been stuck there for a long time too, given how old Mayumi was. When she hugged Chise I cried ;-;

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 28, 2017 2:55 PM
Oct 2017
Honestly I was almost late to my class because I wanted all the feels to sink it I was hoping that the grandmothers family will adopt her in the next one. It broke my heart to see Richii's ,memories wish i knew how to do that.
Dec 6, 2017 2:45 PM
Dec 2017
Bravo, bravo! On to the actual actual series!
Dec 16, 2017 9:35 AM

Mar 2012
It was alright though it's probably better to watch this after completing the main series or at least watching the episodes after she meets the magician. I find it odd that they decided to air these episodes first since people like myself who haven't read the manga don't have as much of an attachment to the characters as they would've had they read the source.

It was also a bit random how Elias just carried Chise whenever he felt like it and how she was just sitting on his lap while reading the book. It's like a weird mentor/student relationship except the mentor has a demon skull for a head.

As for the backstory itself, how exactly did the guy impale himself with that piece of wood? Was there just one random piece of wood sticking out of the ground upright? Quite an odd way to have him die when you could've just had him fall head first on a rock/boulder instead. Also why did the rat demon eat the books and attack Miura but left Chise intact? Pretty weird that it was trying to attack her this whole time but ignored her completely when it had the chance to kill her.

There was also the great grandmother's underwhelming reaction after Chise returned the book to her. Maybe it was her voice acting or the soundtrack but the scene just didn't click with me.

Anyway, wasn't the biggest fan of this OVA series but it has intrigued me enough to check out the main story so I guess it did its job.
Dec 27, 2017 4:58 PM

Aug 2015
That was fantastic. Now onto the TV series which I'm hoping is just as good.
Dec 27, 2017 5:30 PM

Jul 2012
This was a really beautiful and bittersweet story. It was really sad, but ended on a hopeful note. I'm glad the book ended back up with Chise :)

Just one question though. How did Angelica get the book and know it was important to Chise? Maybe we'll find that out in the main series~
Dec 27, 2017 9:18 PM
Feb 2017
Question, the Japan book is sent by Angelica... Why does Angelica have the book?
Jan 16, 2018 11:53 PM

Mar 2011
Beautiful. This really raised my expectations for the main series.
Jan 21, 2018 1:14 PM

Dec 2012
Great ending, the grandmother looks so kind. Poor Miura, his story was sad, why did Chise forget to close the door :/.

It was beautiful, I really loved these OVAs.I hope the main story will be as good as this one.
Feb 11, 2018 11:39 PM

Jan 2016
Avenger-senpai said:
It was alright though it's probably better to watch this after completing the main series or at least watching the episodes after she meets the magician. I find it odd that they decided to air these episodes first since people like myself who haven't read the manga don't have as much of an attachment to the characters as they would've had they read the source.

It was also a bit random how Elias just carried Chise whenever he felt like it and how she was just sitting on his lap while reading the book. It's like a weird mentor/student relationship except the mentor has a demon skull for a head.

As for the backstory itself, how exactly did the guy impale himself with that piece of wood? Was there just one random piece of wood sticking out of the ground upright? Quite an odd way to have him die when you could've just had him fall head first on a rock/boulder instead. Also why did the rat demon eat the books and attack Miura but left Chise intact? Pretty weird that it was trying to attack her this whole time but ignored her completely when it had the chance to kill her.

There was also the great grandmother's underwhelming reaction after Chise returned the book to her. Maybe it was her voice acting or the soundtrack but the scene just didn't click with me.

Anyway, wasn't the biggest fan of this OVA series but it has intrigued me enough to check out the main story so I guess it did its job.

I had to rewatch it to make sure how he'd die.. So he fell-- slid down and that's how he got stabbed. Very unfortunate way to die. :(
Feb 12, 2018 12:03 AM

Jan 2016
I like the OVA.. Just kinda a bit disappointed.. So many questions going on..

So I understood that Mirua's been dead for a long time (he fell and landed on the wood piece..Very unfortunate). He gave her a library card so she can be able to leave the library (as long as she has one item with her); he also gifted her a book. I understood since the library is his "afterlife", no one has gifted him anything, therefore, he's trapped and held "captive" in that place. I can understand why he went insane; being there for so long and not being able to return the book back to his love-- heck I'd go insane too. What makes me question is that, why did he decide not to have Chise around anymore? He teared up her "library card", used magic for her to return home. But when she came back to the place, she somehow obtained a new one without Mirua's consent. I wonder who Miura's talking to? I feel bad that he had to die because of Chise's clumsiness. He's a good guy.. RIP :(
Mar 24, 2018 6:12 AM

May 2016
What an amazing anime. It's really magical as I thought it would be. My expectations were met.
Mar 31, 2018 5:18 PM

Jan 2017
wow it was so beautiful. i've just watched the best three episodes of my life.
Apr 19, 2018 7:23 AM
Jun 2017
It was indeed the book Chise needed, she found the child of star after all.
May 10, 2018 2:51 PM

Aug 2016
So, first two OVA are here for getting you really depressed and all and third one should give you hope with advertising the proper TV anime I guess.
But damn, those feels, I had to prepare for last one like half a year or more and then I lost it in five minutes after hearing librarian backstory. But it was kinda hopeful after that. Still not sure if to read and watch full anime and manga.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 11, 2018 4:19 AM

Jun 2011
Can't believe this OVA turned out to be something so incredible after the rather boring first episode. There were still moments that stayed on for far too long, but they added music and actually tried to convey something through those moments, instead of just silent stills.

Now I am more excited for the TV series, but at the same time, fear for the imminent romance between a faceless bonehead and Chise. Hopefully it develops well enough for it not to be creepy.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Oct 22, 2018 4:16 PM

Feb 2012
How is Miura talking with half of his torso eaten by a rat yokai thing

Bittersweet episode Miura didn't reunite with Mayumi Niikura but Chise found parental figures in strangers..

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Jan 28, 2019 9:06 PM

Jun 2011
I liked it but they kind of overdone Chise's depression since she spends most of the series in fetal position with bags under her eyes (I reckon she doesn't get too much sleep?). Not a fan of characters who say sorry a lot like she does.
Numbuh 3, you've got to get off the couch, you cannot sit in that tree house, girl you like Rainbow Monkeys so grab your little shit and then swing!

Hand tracks be tracking me to different doorways. In a maze, and I don't know what to do. Guaranteed though, Ima find the emeralds.
Mar 25, 2019 11:44 AM

Oct 2017
I meant to watch the OVAs at the halfway point or after I finished the first season but I forgot until now. I greatly enjoyed the story this prequel brought to us and it had me crying between Riichi and Mayumi scenes. It really made me miss this series.
Apr 14, 2019 4:39 AM

Nov 2010
I am still very salty about what happened to Mayoiga. It seemed such a peaceful place with those peaceful little ghosts just reading and minding their own little world and at night you get to star gaze as well. It really sucks to see it destroyed like that

Anyway very good episode over all and as usual the soundtrack awesome!
Sep 6, 2019 3:40 AM
Jan 2017
aah.. a poor litle chise. she suffered after her om died and her father left her.. and everyday she must see the ugly creature who always haunted her..
and that make the people arround her feel strange about this and chise can say anything about this to her step parent.. and her step mother feel stress because chise always doing something that unnormally and her step mother think that chise not listen to her,,
chise dont have anyone to share about this vission and always alone until he lost into forest and meet the forest library and also called 'mayoiga' or lost in another world.
the time has passed chise found the place that she can forget her problem with the book and at last chise has kicked by the man that traped there to save chise that he can get out from there after long time..
but as a kid chise back again another day and forget the rule to always close the door and make the creature from outside enter and destroy the book and attack the man..
at this time i think how poor the man leting chise enter and bring the creature to destroy his home..
but then i realize that he traped in hat library and chise save him from there and chise give the bok to woman as the final wish of the man,,
at same time chise relise that she would find the other people who has the same thing with her,, and after few years she meet ellias.. and they complete each other like the book that given by the library man..

this story was very sad . i can't imagine how suffer chise is..
Feb 27, 2020 10:52 AM

Apr 2013
So he's been in that library for quite some time, eh? Poor guy, at least Chise was able to fulfill his promise in the end. These OVAs were kinda boring at times, I hope the TV show is better.
May 29, 2020 2:18 PM

Mar 2010
I was hoping the old lady died from a heart attack knowing the guy died. But I guess we can't always get what we want.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Dec 19, 2020 9:26 AM

Jul 2017
Beautiful conclusion to this short arc. It was simple, not too overdramatic but incredibly charming to read about. Quite the moment when we got to learn the real age of Mayumi and learn exactly how long Riichi has been around, but when Chise returned the book to her, it was a genuinely sweet moment. Superbly done too, felt tranquil yet ethereal in a way, complemented by these calm, luscious soundtracks playing in the background. Elias was good too at the end, comprehending the whole story Chise was talking about and relating it to the Mayoiga story and just being there for Chise too. She only smiled once during her past arc from what I saw but with Elias, she looks like she's comfortable in that environment and genuinely grateful to be there with someone like him and Ruth and Silky.

Overall, really simple but really well done by WIT Studio. From a narrative to an audiovisual perspective, this OVA series was excellent. Not a surprise that WIT can nail OVAs before anime even happen for them, since later they made a 10 minute OVA of Totsukuni no Shoujo and that was beautiful too, even with no dialogue whatsoever.

9/10 overall.
Apr 15, 2021 1:04 PM

Nov 2009
man, this made me cryyyyyyyy~
May 9, 2021 3:55 AM

Aug 2019
one thing I’ll say after finishing this OVA is fuck those two kids
Jun 14, 2021 3:48 PM

Jan 2021
This was a beautiful story these 3 episodes were amazing the animation the soundtrack and the whole thing was well told I really did enjoy it
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Confuse about the end credits of episode 2

Kreshre - Jun 8

3 by Alexioos95 »»
Jun 8, 11:08 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome: Hoshi Matsu Hito Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 10, 2016

180 by tsuunaami »»
Mar 13, 6:27 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome: Hoshi Matsu Hito Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 9, 2017

81 by SenseiSempai-san »»
Oct 6, 2023 10:15 PM

» Am I the only one who finds this creepy?

ChrisHanson - Jan 18, 2017

26 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Aug 13, 2023 2:53 PM

Poll: » Is it just me or is this way better than the main series?

dc22 - Jan 10, 2018

9 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Aug 13, 2023 2:50 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.