Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Sep 10, 2016 1:52 PM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Very beautiful show. Only 23 minutes for the first OVA but I think Wits Studio captured the very essence of it with the main characters.

Chise is also someone that I find interesting so far in particular with her ability to see spirits. Elias is portrayed well in regard to his personality and I love the world setting so far including that fantasy forest. Can't wait for the other two OVA episodes.
Stark700Sep 10, 2016 4:00 PM
Sep 10, 2016 2:22 PM

Oct 2015
Visualy really amazingly done and so far the story looks really interesting, this will be long and painfull wait for the next 2 OVAs for next half year and 1year from now. Really hope once they are done with this 3part prequel, wit studio goes and makes the rest from the manga i believe there is or will be enough material to use for a 12ep season :)
Sep 10, 2016 2:32 PM

May 2015
That was a really good and interesting first OVA. Visually appealing, and the animation was good. I'm looking forward to the other two OVAs.

Stark700 said:
Very beautiful show. Only 23 episodes for the first OVA but I think Wits Studio captured the very essence of it with the main characters.

You mean minutes, lol.
ReverberateSep 10, 2016 3:10 PM

Sep 10, 2016 2:43 PM

Apr 2014
Chise had a pretty terrible childhood

The animation quality was stunning

OrangeJPSep 10, 2016 3:37 PM

Sep 10, 2016 2:55 PM

Sep 2015
I really love this kind of atmosphere SoL/fantasy
This episode is relaxing, the backgrounds are amazing, and the plot seems to be ok

5/5
(march 2017 for the 2nd ;w;)
xSkipiSep 10, 2016 3:01 PM
Sep 10, 2016 2:56 PM

Jul 2011
Loved it but it seems like only the manga readers will REALLY be able to enjoy it. For anime only people, I highly recommend reading the manga as well :-)

Wonderful episode btw
Sep 10, 2016 3:03 PM

Nov 2014
I enjoyed it and her childhood sucked, but doesn't everybody's, or was the just me?

Sucks there is only 3 episodes. How much content is in the manga? i have yet to check myself but if it is a decent amount i will read it for sure.

Also she reminds me a lot of Shirayuki which is a good thing, plus very cute! :3
No drop crew, Loyal husband, sadomasochist, H&E bully, AWC fan. Click sig for n00dz!
Sep 10, 2016 3:06 PM
Jul 2018
Visually it reminded me of Ghibli movies. I will definitely check out the manga while I'm waiting for the next episode. So far a great start.
Sep 10, 2016 3:17 PM

Jul 2015
Fuck this was great, the hype wasn't for nothing !
Sep 10, 2016 3:34 PM

Sep 2015
A beautiful looking first part, 9/10 so far!
Sep 10, 2016 3:35 PM

Jan 2015
This was very good, especially the flashback!
Sep 10, 2016 3:49 PM

Jun 2012
I don't remember the part where she found the magician in the forest in the manga. Did it not happen yet in the manga? Since from reading the manga I already knew about all her past history and how Elias found her but I don't remember the magician in the forest at all. Anyone know what chapter that was from if it is out yet?
Sep 10, 2016 4:06 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
Everything about this episode was stunning. Was so looking forward to this and it did not disappoint.

I've only read the first few chapters of the manga and I'm holding it off till there's more material since I loved everything I read. Hopefully by the end of it's 3 OVA run it'll get a full TV adaptation.
Sep 10, 2016 4:12 PM

Apr 2015
LimeNade said:
I don't remember the part where she found the magician in the forest in the manga. Did it not happen yet in the manga? Since from reading the manga I already knew about all her past history and how Elias found her but I don't remember the magician in the forest at all. Anyone know what chapter that was from if it is out yet?

It's an original story written by the mangaka.
Sep 10, 2016 4:14 PM

Jan 2014
LimeNade said:

As far as I know this is a side story which (so far) couldn't be included in the manga^^
Sep 10, 2016 4:22 PM
Jul 2018
LimeNade said:

This is apparently a prequel story that isn't really from the manga.
Sep 10, 2016 4:45 PM
Jan 2013
Almost screamed when it got subbed today and immediately torrented it. Love LOVE LOVE!! this series and it especially holds a special place in my heart. Was definitely a bit surprised they decided to go with the 'prequel OVA' line in their advertising method, but I can why they would choose this route to try and whet the appetite of new readers and fans and I'm definitely not complaining about getting to see new content from the mind of the creator.
Atmospherically I could feel a Spirited Away vibe, set in a Euro/asian setting which is also what I live for. Bless this series!
Sep 10, 2016 5:12 PM
Jul 2018
Just finished the episode, holy shit I fucking loved it. From the Visuals towards the characters, it actually felt relaxing at the first half. Some pretty nice atmospheric tone to it as well, which is pretty good considering that I needed it. The chemistry at least for Elias and Chise is pretty interesting, and of course music wise... Oh boy, I love the music from there. It totally fits with the scenarios.

Also, the second half though... Oh boy do I feel bad for Chise to be honest >w<
Sep 10, 2016 6:01 PM

Jul 2015
Love this. The flashback is sad and I'm feeling bad for Chise. Elias is lolicon :D, Chise reminds me of Natsume from Natsume Yuujinchou that can see supernatural thing and have a bad childhood.

Overall, good OVA
Sep 10, 2016 6:06 PM

Oct 2008
LimeNade said:

It did not appeared in the manga itself, but could have. I can't remember very well, but:

Sep 10, 2016 6:11 PM

Jan 2011
I'm going to regret starting watching this given the....one flipping year air time for 3 episodes.

Wonderful intro episode. Thank God an OVA was actually subbed.
Sep 10, 2016 6:14 PM

Oct 2011
Damn the art is gorgeous.
I was expecting something i already know from the manga, but it's something entirely different and i like it that way.
and Chise voice is not like i was imagining so it's kinda feel funny lol.

I think this Ova is a bit hard for newcomers who haven't read the manga.
Sep 10, 2016 6:33 PM

Jan 2009
That was beautiful!
Sep 10, 2016 7:03 PM

Mar 2013
Chise's appearence reminds me Shirayuki from other anime.

Sad that this going to have only 3 OVAs, and 1 YEAR to watch tem all. ;(
Sep 10, 2016 7:04 PM

Jul 2015
It is a shame that crap such as RElife has 100K+ members while this flies by sort of under the radar.

I think there will be some word-of-mouth movement though.
Sep 10, 2016 7:26 PM

Jun 2016
First of all, I was waiting for this anime for a long time. Secondly, after watching the first OVA all I can say is WORTH IT! The animation was amazing and brilliant, the characters were well developed especially Chise (like damn what an awful childhood).

The story is very interesting seems like it will span her entire past leading up to when she first met and started training under Elias. If not it doesn't matter either would be great. Just hope the next two OVA's are longer.
Sep 10, 2016 8:26 PM

Oct 2011
I'm amazed with everything... The art, animation, seiyuus, etc. Can't wait to see more of this, and I'm really considering read the manga right now.
Sep 10, 2016 9:33 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
apalagi said:
and Chise voice is not like i was imagining so it's kinda feel funny lol.
For me, it was pretty much as I had imagined she might sound like. Same with Elias. Ruth's voice, however, threw me.

It also firmly established that Silkie enforces the rules of the house :D
Sep 10, 2016 9:55 PM

Dec 2014
Very charming episode, I loved it.

Absolutely stunning presentation, The way all those magical creatures moved around the rooms, The sparkles when Elias casted magic and the lamps lighting up, The library in the forest, . Everything gives the show a real fantastically immersive atmosphere. All in all the visual presentation is nothing short of outstanding.

Quite a sad backstory for Chise. :(

Overall that was an excellent start, I was gonna decide whether I would pick up the manga after seeing the OVA and now I definitely am.
Sep 10, 2016 10:03 PM

Jul 2011
Love how magic is handled, and the music at the end was lovely. :)
Sep 10, 2016 10:05 PM

Jul 2012
What beautiful animation this show has, the wait will be painful but worth it.

"There are three things you can never get back: The word after it's said, the moment after it's missed, and the time after it's gone."
-Koe no Katachi

Sep 10, 2016 10:15 PM

Sep 2013
The wait is going to be deadly...
Sep 10, 2016 10:20 PM

Aug 2015
Why can't we have a fucking animated series rather then 3 ep OVA,this episode was so fucking beautiful.Japan why you do this to me (ಥ﹏ಥ)
Sep 10, 2016 10:31 PM

May 2013
I always heard Chise's childhood is worse in manga, but don't expecting this worse level. And why japan has many blackie one eyes creepy monster but in England have cool dragon and cute and ero fairy.

The Library shot at the end is amazing.
megmicaSep 10, 2016 11:51 PM
Sep 10, 2016 11:31 PM

Aug 2012
That was pretty damn pretty. No complaints really. Direction was very on point on all fronts. Soundtrack through the roof.

Wondering how this will do for anime only's. Manga readers are obviously going to love it. I especially liked the mention of Chise being Elias' human teacher, hngggggg.
Sep 10, 2016 11:56 PM
May 2014
It felt as if it was harry potter+narnia on steroids.
The atmosphere made me have tears in my eyes which werent exactly sad tears, I was that moved.
I love atmospheric SoLs and this was right at the top tier level.
This is the most beautiful thing I have seen from anime this year.
easy 9/10.
ANd the manga managed to give me goosebump just from the writing, if this gets animated in this quality.. boy...
Sep 11, 2016 12:01 AM

Jul 2013
I need the full version of that ED song so badly
Sep 11, 2016 1:15 AM

Aug 2014
so gooooooooooooood, the ending made up for that heart-wrenching middle. great watch
Sep 11, 2016 1:54 AM

Oct 2013
Sep 11, 2016 2:05 AM
Jul 2018
From the first seconds I already found it interesting... When the characters appeared and started talking it was confirmed... But then I come here to check and see that it's only 3 eps? Instant disappointment.

Hey Re:Zero, this delivery system was so imaginative... It'll be hard to beat.
removed-userSep 11, 2016 2:14 AM
Sep 11, 2016 3:15 AM
Sep 2014
I love that they managed to emulate the original art style so closely.

apalagi said:
I think this Ova is a bit hard for newcomers who haven't read the manga.

Not really, this is completely new material that was never in the manga, and the only issue is that since it's framed as a story being told by Chise somewhere in the middle of the currently released chapters, there are a whole bunch of characters popping up with no real introduction whatsoever. The most obvious ones being Angelica and Hugh, we learn barely anything about them from their scene at the beginning of the episode. On the other hand, without beating us over the head with it they managed to give us an idea of what our main characters are like.

- Chise's something known as a Slay Vega, and she can also see supernatural creatures. She's supposed to be teaching Elias about humans.
- Elias is Chise's magic teacher, and from that job and his lighting of the lamps in the study we can safely conclude that he's a powerful mage. He appears to either be caring but shy, or overly logical since he ordered the stuff for Chise because he was "supposed to", according to himself.
- It's not clear what Ruth is exactly, but he can shapeshift between dog and human form.
- From what she's been doing in the background and from Elias implying that she does the cleaning, Silkie must be the housekeeper. And everyone seems to fear her for some reason.

Though I am a manga reader, the above conclusions were drawn using just the information from this episode itself.
Sep 11, 2016 3:48 AM

Dec 2014
heinrich6745 said:
I enjoyed it and her childhood sucked, but doesn't everybody's, or was the just me?

Sucks there is only 3 episodes. How much content is in the manga? I have yet to check myself but if it is a decent amount i will read it for sure.

Also she reminds me a lot of Shirayuki which is a good thing, plus very cute! :3

Is a monthly manga, and has 31 chapters up till now. So there is quite enought material to enjoy reading.
Sep 11, 2016 4:07 AM

Aug 2015
BlueBalls said:
It is a shame that crap such as RElife has 100K+ members while this flies by sort of under the radar.

Because ReLife has been shown for quite some time now with all the episodes being completed NetFlix style while this show is on a premiere as of now heck I bet some of the people even knows this show is being premiered. Damn harambe didn't die for that shit bruuhhh.
Sep 11, 2016 4:12 AM

Jul 2013
This was absolutely beautiful. Felt like I was watching a movie adaptation.

Gonna have to read the manga, the wait is going to kill me.
Sep 11, 2016 4:33 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Her past is one of the saddest i have seen lately in anime. Poor girl.

She can see monsters (aren't they illusions though, the food was still there when the foster mom threw it away).

The music was very nice.

Very magic focused, it's gonna make for great animation also :D
Sep 11, 2016 4:49 AM

Jul 2014
Seems very promising so far, but the wait between episodes (and the fact that there's only three of them to begin with) is going to be pretty annoying. I already want to see a full series just from this and the first chapter of the manga alone, so based on that this is one hell of a good start.
Sep 11, 2016 4:57 AM

Jan 2009
Aww man poor Chise...
I'm gonna go read some of the more happy-go-lucky chapters from the manga now

But damn this was really good, it's been a while since I have seen an adaptation done this well.
The wait is gonna kill me, but if it allows them to keep this level of quality then I can deal with that.
Smudy said:
Her past is one of the saddest i have seen lately in anime. Poor girl.

She can see monsters (aren't they illusions though, the food was still there when the foster mom threw it away).

The music was very nice.

Very magic focused, it's gonna make for great animation also :D

Nope those monsters(spirits) are very real. Altough I have idea why the food didin't disappear.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Sep 11, 2016 5:11 AM
Jul 2018
YES SEEING MY FAVORITE MANGA ANIMATED, ITS THE BEST FEELING EVER! THEY NAILED IT WITH EVERYTHING. THE VOICE ACTING IS SUPERB, THE MUSIC IS SOOTHING AND THE ANIMATION IS BREATHTAKING.
HER PAST THOUGH ;;-;;
SUCH A LONG WAIT NOW
Sep 11, 2016 5:42 AM

Sep 2015
Chise's voice actor sounds so much like Saori Hayami (one of my favorites) I love it xD
Sep 11, 2016 5:45 AM
Nov 2014
This was so nice and cozy.
The animation style is amazing, the story seems to be promising.
Let's see how this one turns out.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome: Hoshi Matsu Hito Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Leo - Sep 9, 2017

106 by SenseiSempai-san »»
Oct 6, 2023 11:01 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome: Hoshi Matsu Hito Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 9, 2017

81 by SenseiSempai-san »»
Oct 6, 2023 10:15 PM

» Am I the only one who finds this creepy?

ChrisHanson - Jan 18, 2017

26 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Aug 13, 2023 2:53 PM

Poll: » Is it just me or is this way better than the main series?

dc22 - Jan 10, 2018

9 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Aug 13, 2023 2:50 PM

» What order do I watch this

Bunniedoll - Jun 23, 2021

9 by little_raven »»
Aug 12, 2022 10:05 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.