Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sound! Euphonium (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Dec 1, 2016 5:28 AM
Dec 2008
TitanAnteus said:

People just don't pay as much attention to male characters in anime,

Eh I don't blame them. Kyoani really toned down Shuichi's scenes there's just so much friction and not enough affection between him and Kumiko.

Waller said:
can anyone tell me how much of the novel is covered in the anime by now? maybe spoiler tag

3 volumes. We're reaching the final stages of story.
Dec 1, 2016 6:05 AM

Nov 2011
No stories, to make the characters, but they themselves to them, and a great storyline coming out of rich characters, that's what I'm appreciating this anime. Storytelling that supports all my desires, graphically is FAB! :D
Dec 1, 2016 6:18 AM

Oct 2016
That piece at the end almost made my eyes sweat oh and I hope the operation "Bring back Asuka-senpai" will be a success .. i will be glad if she comes back and fix her issues to her mother..
Dec 1, 2016 6:45 AM

Jul 2012
What an amazing episode, one of the best for me!
Now seeing full picture for Asuka's problem i still think she is the one to blame for Nozomi and Mizore's situation and she is not denying it herself, but i can see where she was coming from.
Nice interactions with Reina and Natsuki, feels like Reina was always pointing Kumiko in the right direction or mb it was both ways for them and Natsuki is such a sweet girl, pretty sad that their characters are falling out bit by bit.
Obviously was waiting for meetup with Asuka and it was even better than i expected. Kumiko always had hard time with all the problems falling on her, but she (gladly) will accept them again even if she wouldn't admit it. And i think at this point it would be strange if Asuka wouldn't rejoin the band.
Dec 1, 2016 7:33 AM

Nov 2007
Waller said:
can anyone tell me how much of the novel is covered in the anime by now? maybe spoiler tag

Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Dec 1, 2016 7:34 AM

Jan 2010
uh, those are pretty nice info, thx man
Dec 1, 2016 8:19 AM

Nov 2007
TitanAnteus said:
It's also why Kyoukai No Kanata has such a bad rap among kyoani fans, even though it really shouldn't.

I just had to give an opinion here because I think I am one of the biggest fans of the studio and love most of their work with a lot of passion. I am the same person who trash-talked how annoying K-ON! season 1 was particularly mentioning Yui being an annoyance until I re-watched it and then followed through with the sequel season 2 and the movie to really understand the subtle character growth of Yui. It was an amazing ride and eventually became a huge fan of the franchise.

I am the same person who was reluctant to watch the infamous endless eight until watching it right before watching Disappearance and then realizing the importance of endless eight in the build up to one of the best animated featured films I have seen in the industry.

I am the same person who thought Tamako Market is just a random comedy/slice of life show until I saw TLS, an incredible movie with every single segment had deep meaning behind them as I watched it with awe, almost spellbound with the powerful presentation of the story. It sucked me in like Miyazaki's Spirited Away. It remains one of Kyoto Animation's greatest creation in my opinion and coming of age stories.

However, I think Kyoukai no Kanata doesn't have the same flavour as shows like Hyouka, Chuunibyou (season 1 in particular) or even Amaburi does. It just felt like a pile of emotion thrown at fans. While emotions can be great way to attract fans, I need more than just emotions to appreciate a properly written story with attention to details, small moments that are significant but impossible to notice unless someone pays careful attention. That is where Disappearance, TLS, Clannad AS or Nichijou shone the most. I hoped Kyoukai no Kanata Mirai-hen would be able to change my opinion about the TV series like Disappearance or TLS did to their prequel TV series but it didn't. It was the same thing all over again. Emotional characters trying to make viewers feel empathy for them. Not through the story or the characters themselves; just through the emotional state of the characters. I find stories like these good, but not great. Great shows must have more to offer.

As for E7, I think it's one of the best coming of age stories, which makes it a great story. I wasn't however a fan of the romance that was building up but the final episode did the anime justice which alone made it one of the best TV anime of all time.
Coronavirus.
Dec 1, 2016 11:04 AM

Jan 2013
shanimebib said:
TitanAnteus said:
It's also why Kyoukai No Kanata has such a bad rap among kyoani fans, even though it really shouldn't.

I just had to give an opinion here because I think I am one of the biggest fans of the studio and love most of their work with a lot of passion. I am the same person who trash-talked how annoying K-ON! season 1 was particularly mentioning Yui being an annoyance until I re-watched it and then followed through with the sequel season 2 and the movie to really understand the subtle character growth of Yui. It was an amazing ride and eventually became a huge fan of the franchise.

I am the same person who was reluctant to watch the infamous endless eight until watching it right before watching Disappearance and then realizing the importance of endless eight in the build up to one of the best animated featured films I have seen in the industry.

I am the same person who thought Tamako Market is just a random comedy/slice of life show until I saw TLS, an incredible movie with every single segment had deep meaning behind them as I watched it with awe, almost spellbound with the powerful presentation of the story. It sucked me in like Miyazaki's Spirited Away. It remains one of Kyoto Animation's greatest creation in my opinion and coming of age stories.

However, I think Kyoukai no Kanata doesn't have the same flavour as shows like Hyouka, Chuunibyou (season 1 in particular) or even Amaburi does. It just felt like a pile of emotion thrown at fans. While emotions can be great way to attract fans, I need more than just emotions to appreciate a properly written story with attention to details, small moments that are significant but impossible to notice unless someone pays careful attention. That is where Disappearance, TLS, Clannad AS or Nichijou shone the most. I hoped Kyoukai no Kanata Mirai-hen would be able to change my opinion about the TV series like Disappearance or TLS did to their prequel TV series but it didn't. It was the same thing all over again. Emotional characters trying to make viewers feel empathy for them. Not through the story or the characters themselves; just through the emotional state of the characters. I find stories like these good, but not great. Great shows must have more to offer.

As for E7, I think it's one of the best coming of age stories, which makes it a great story. I wasn't however a fan of the romance that was building up but the final episode did the anime justice which alone made it one of the best TV anime of all time.

I feel like Amaburi was more of a pile of emotions thrown at fans than Kyoukai No Kanata was.

The thing with that anime is that the male protagonist doesn't really make all that much sense in how he interacts with Mirai at first. Then you slowly learn more and more about him so you slowly understand his reasons for meddling in her affairs more. Then the show does this wonderful 180 where after you think you understand him, the show lets it on you and Mirai's "chasing" after him.

While I do admit that there was some melodrama. Mostly because of small plot threads that didn't have too much relevance to the overall story structure, the show is very down to earth about how the characters see each other and why.
Dec 1, 2016 11:21 AM

May 2015
Good episode. Great animation really.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Dec 1, 2016 11:52 AM

Sep 2015
I really hope Asuka comes back before the end of the second series. Because this would be a satisfying conclusion to her story, but a terribly sad one. Still if this is her last hurrah I think the show gave us a powerful episode for the fan favorite character to go out on. I like how this episode takes its time and Asuka doesn't even show up until the second half. The ending song was a genuinely emotional one a slight but powerful performance. I think one of the things that interested me most about the episode though was Reina and Kumiko's brief little flirting outside the music room, it really seems like they might just go straight yuri with this show instead of just hinting at and playing around it. I'm also genuinely interested in Natsuki's role as we enter the end of the second season. And on a purely superficial level does this episode being named "Hibike! Euphonium" signify this is the last season they're going to do?
Dec 1, 2016 12:17 PM

Oct 2006
Burger-Meister said:
Nice to see more Kumiko and Reina interactions. Also, the "her blood is probably tasty" line is FAR from being subtle.

Looks like it was too subtle for most people here
Dec 1, 2016 1:36 PM
Jun 2016
Is it just me or it's just from episode 7 (or 8) on this show peaked the same quality of first season? I was really bummed with the drama quality of the first episodes ): but i'm glad it is getting better and better ^-^
Dec 1, 2016 5:45 PM

Nov 2016
This was a beautiful episode. There were so many things I enjoyed in this episode. I liked how Kumiko and Reina's friendship has gotten very close as Reina was able to point out some of the things Kumiko was able to see through people's feelings and notice them. I thought that was incredible and Kumiko has been growing so much as a person that she's to be commended for that. I do feel sorry for Reina as she was flustered seeing Taki-sensei sleeping peacefully and looking at the photo which may have put her feelings at rest. Kyoani is doing a pretty good job when handling the visuals and the animation which has been top-notch quality.

The second half I enjoyed so much. We get to see Asuka's real self as she was growing up learning how to play the eupho and her upbringing. I think I know why Kumiko wanted to hear Asuka play as she was very important to the band and things wouldn't be the same without her. The solo performance was amazing to listen and I do believe that Asuka's smile was the best I've ever seen which was her real self after all this time. :)

Next week will be interesting to see how things will go for the Nationals!
Dec 1, 2016 7:16 PM

Oct 2013
That was a 10/10 for me. The closing credits appearing with Asuka playing her father's piece was perfect. I kept waiting for the cheery closing theme to spoil the moment, but hooray!, Kyoani resisted the lazy temptation.

I can't truly judge the voice acting since I am not fluent in Japanese, but the change in Asuka's personality as she opened up to Kumiko seemed very subtle to me. Not jarring and fake. By the last segment of the episode the two had become genuine friends. Asuka didn't really seem to be close with anyone in season 1 or the first part of this season. Maybe Kaori and the president.
Dec 1, 2016 8:11 PM

Apr 2011
The beautiful Asuka's mysterious has finally been revealed. I'm surprise that her dad is famous.

Reina super adorable this episode. That scene with Taki-sensei got me smiling and giggling. She like got an orgasm when Taki-sensei took the key from her. Must have wet herself

Dammit, Reina! Why are you so damn cute. My heart skipped a beat when I saw her cute expression.
Dec 1, 2016 10:06 PM

Dec 2014
Ah, we finally get answers to Asuka's mystery. That was definitely a lot more satisfying to watch than the seemingly forced drama we got with Mizore who seemed to come out of nowhere and became forgotten again after the arc finished.

Great episode.
I need sleep.
Dec 2, 2016 5:56 AM

Jun 2013
That was FUCKING BEAUTIFUL
Dec 2, 2016 12:20 PM

May 2010
Probably my favorite Asuka moments so far. Loved to see her show a more honest side. And love how she trusts Kumiko.
Dec 3, 2016 11:09 AM

Jul 2016
oh bad, Reina is going to know about Taki's wife, another problem will rise.

btw, that music played by Asuka, make me imagine about some soldier came back from wars.
Dec 3, 2016 11:18 PM

Jun 2015
Is there already a confirmed episode number? Still hoping for 24 episodes, I want more of this anime!

However, based on the OP, I think the last arc of the season will be about Taki-sensei.
Dec 4, 2016 2:15 AM
May 2016
ramenshoujo said:
I never liked Asuka in the first season, with the forced and fake cheery persona. But she's grown on me a ton since.

SoraSenpai said:

They never really did explain that look on Asuka's face when Kaori was tieing Asuka's shoes. Even Kumiko noticed but they kind of ignored that. (I was a little preoccupied when I was watching so I may have missed an explanation.)

I don't think there is an "explanation" for something like that. It's just a characteristic or behavioral quirk. Scenes like this make me appreciate Asuka as a character. There's a big part of me that can relate to her standoff-ish side.

In a sense, unlike Kumiko, Asuka is the type that doesn't lie to herself. Is aware that she puts on a mask, why she does it, and what she is underneath it all.

In my opinion, Kaori's behavior reminded Asuka of her mother's domineering behavior because that Asuka's shoelace was tight or loose was only Asuka herself knew exactly(Asuka told Kumiko that her sneaker happend to be her size.But later Kaori thought her shoelace was untied, and said that you aren't used to them yet,are you?), Asuka knew Kaori and her mother both just showed their concerns to her,so that's why she told Kumiko that Kaori was really cute later. However these concerns did Asuka really needed? I think shoelace here are equivalent to shackles that Asuka's mother gave her.

Exaggerated concern could easily make someone feel stressful,so that's why Asuka showed that look on her face. Kyoni cunningly used shadow on her face in order to make we audience knew nothing about her feeling,and it also showed that Asuka still wore thick mask.However,after a conversation between her with Kumiko, Asuka gradually let her hair down and started told her her past.This change really impressed me and I was really glad that Asuka finally took off her mask before Kumiko.

Good job! Kumiko,that's why she is main actress in this anime
saberlove123Dec 4, 2016 2:58 AM
Dec 4, 2016 2:25 AM
Apr 2016
Asuka senpai's opend legs show her opened mind.

Kyoto Animation is so fine.

[Topic] Seiza - siting on tatami with formal style
Dec 4, 2016 6:32 AM

Jun 2014
saberlove123 said:

In my opinion, Kaori's behavior reminded Asuka of her mother's domineering behavior because that Asuka's shoelace was tight or loose was only Asuka herself knew exactly

I suppose that's one way to interpret it.
It can just as easily be seen as Asuka getting annoyed or angry at Kaori for trying to meddle with her personal affairs (having Kumiko convince her mom). She saw right through her with the gift/ bribery thing.

The way she comments about Kaori being cute feels like she's analyzing her curiously in an objective sort of way. When I do something similar I tend not to feel any particular emotion. Then again, clouded eyes tends to be indicative of a negative mood in anime language, so who knows.
Dec 4, 2016 3:02 PM

Nov 2007
S0rahana said:
Is there already a confirmed episode number? Still hoping for 24 episodes, I want more of this anime!

Regardless of whether Kyoto Animation plans to make an OVA later on or not, I guarantee that the anime's gonna end by the end of this month and this shall be the final season.

Unless Rikka's story is animated which of course I highly doubt they would. There's also a thread out there and if you're interested, here's more information on Hibike! Euphonium 2.
Coronavirus.
Dec 4, 2016 6:26 PM

Jun 2015
shanimebib said:
S0rahana said:

Regardless of whether Kyoto Animation plans to make an OVA later on or not, I guarantee that the anime's gonna end by the end of this month and this shall be the final season.

Unless Rikka's story is animated which of course I highly doubt they would. There's also a thread out there and if you're interested, here's more information on Hibike! Euphonium 2.

Thanks for the info. :D
Dec 5, 2016 9:34 AM

Nov 2007
@S0rahana: you're welcome. :)

shanimebib said:
Off topic: I find it amusing reading the words 'forced' and 'plot device' every time Shuuichi gets some screen time. It just seems they were not paying enough attention to this brilliantly created anime.

(Self-quoting) Expect more in the next episode, Ore~.

So they are going to follow the novel to this extent?

Coronavirus.
Dec 5, 2016 1:42 PM

May 2010

How can you explain please ?
Dec 5, 2016 3:20 PM

Aug 2011
Stunning episode with beautiful visuals. Loved learning more about Asuka and her chat with Kumiko was very interesting.
Dec 5, 2016 6:06 PM

Nov 2007
mangakam said:

It looks almost imminent. They are going for

There's still this chance that it will be different in the anime, but right now it has a 90% chance of happening. We will find out on this Wednesday for sure.
Coronavirus.
Dec 6, 2016 4:50 AM
Aug 2015
shanimebib said:

The best character of the (Shuuichi) show is back! I really hope that we'll get to see him more!
Dec 6, 2016 9:02 AM

Nov 2007
Kirie-san said:
shanimebib said:

The best character of the (Shuuichi) show is back! I really hope that we'll get to see him more!

I didn't know there's a Shuuichi fan out there to that extent so I commend you! I mean I acknowledge that Shuuichi is as real a character can be in the story and there's absolutely nothing to dislike about him, if I dare say so, I think he is a wonderful character, but to consider him to be the best character of the show is a pretty bold statement given that how his role has been reduced and he is practically given the role of a background character. I think he is far behind in the pecking order as far as the anime goes.

For me, it's Kumiko > Reina > Asuka > Taki-sensei > Natsuki > Shuuichi > Midori > Hazuki > Hashimoto-sensei > Kaori > Yuuko > Haruka > Riko > Goto > Azusa > Mizore > Nozomi > Niiyama-sensei > Matsumoto-sensei > Mamiko > Aoi

*denotes characters with less contribution in the overall story, to be more accurate, didn't have a story arc of their own or didn't play a significant role.

In the novel, I think I would put Shuuichi right between Kumiko and Reina. But either way for me, Kumiko is the best character in both versions of the story (novel and anime).
Coronavirus.
Dec 6, 2016 10:00 AM

Nov 2009
shanimebib said:
mangakam said:

There's still this chance that it will be different in the anime, but right now it has a 90% chance of happening. We will find out on this Wednesday for sure.

Some of vol.4 content are already in the anime BTW. School festival for example. I think Kyoani will put anything from vol.4 that can fit into the timeline of the story. For me I hope...

As for Movie/OVA
Dec 6, 2016 12:17 PM

Nov 2007
Marina2 said:
shanimebib said:

Some of vol.4 content are already in the anime BTW. School festival for example. I think Kyoani will put anything from vol.4 that can fit into the timeline of the story. For me I hope...

As for Movie/OVA

Yes. That would make sense. But for me, I would prefer that they don't animate

I really need to stop writing this much in Hibike! threads. O_O
Coronavirus.
Dec 6, 2016 9:00 PM
Jul 2018
Meta_Yoshi said:
... bridge ...
It isn't a real bridge though. It is a pipeline. I think that is important enough to -somewhat unfairly - single out this single word from your comment like this.

There are several bridges in those final scenes. The real ones, existing in the area, are shown at some distance. The euphonium is a bridge and so is Kumiko. Bridges to Asuka's father. Out of reach. Kumiko sits there to listen and facilitate but does Asuka really play to her? To some extent but not completely. It seems to me that Kumiko is once again cast in a male role. This time as the body double for Asuka's father, whose instrument she embodies and whose personality Asuka projects onto her father.

To me, the most important element of the scene is the revelation that Asuka does not associate herself with that instrument. It represents the choices and expectation of her other parent who may well have written that book with her in mind but who doesn't truly know his real daughter. It is his instrument, not hers.

At first glance it may look like they're sitting under a bridge across the indifferently flowing water, across the obstacles in her way towards a future of her own, but that is a visual illusion. Asuka, the gifted eupho player, prone to lace her speech with English phrases, might well call it a pipe dream.
Dec 7, 2016 6:55 AM
Aug 2015
shanimebib said:
Kirie-san said:

I didn't know there's a Shuuichi fan out there to that extent so I commend you! I mean I acknowledge that Shuuichi is as real a character can be in the story and there's absolutely nothing to dislike about him, if I dare say so, I think he is a wonderful character, but to consider him to be the best character of the show is a pretty bold statement given that how his role has been reduced and he is practically given the role of a background character. I think he is far behind in the pecking order as far as the anime goes.

For me, it's Kumiko > Reina > Asuka > Taki-sensei > Natsuki > Shuuichi > Midori > Hazuki > Hashimoto-sensei > Kaori > Yuuko > Haruka > Riko > Goto > Azusa > Mizore > Nozomi > Niiyama-sensei > Matsumoto-sensei > Mamiko > Aoi

*denotes characters with less contribution in the overall story, to be more accurate, didn't have a story arc of their own or didn't play a significant role.

In the novel, I think I would put Shuuichi right between Kumiko and Reina. But either way for me, Kumiko is the best character in both versions of the story (novel and anime).

Lol!! :)
After I've watched season 1, my favorite characters were (in the order) : Kumiko, Shuuichi, Natsuki, Asuka, Hazuki, Sapphire. I enjoy season 1 thanks to them, but for season 2, it is just like I'm watching it for Shuuichi. I'll explain for Kumiko latter, but Hazuki and Sapphire are barely shown, that's sad.

I liked Kumiko as a heroine, and there were good interactions between Kumiko and Shuuichi, and with Hazuki and Sapphire too. It was really refreshing to see the four of them for example when they ate together at the fast food. And I wish we could see more of this group. But then they decide to go for the "Reina route" which I didn't really enjoy. Moreover it's a character I don't really like. Even if she's more open now, she's still a narrow-minded girl (and she's not interesting at all).

At the end of season 1 we see before their performance that Kumiko and Shuuichi hit their fist as a sign of encouragement. But because Reina heard Shuuichi saying something "bad" about Taki, she doesn't like him (she even says something mean to him during the festival). And there's gap between Kumiko and Shuuichi which is apparently deeper in the anime. I'm not really enjoying what Kyo Ani is doing (putting Shuuichi in the background so that they could emphasize Kumiko and Reina's relation). We know that Reina loves Taki so why do they bother with the yuri bait instead of focusing a little more on Shuuichi?

Moreover I'm not liking Kumiko as much as in season 1 because in season 2 it always seems that she's the one who ends up resolving everything just because she's the heroine. In season 1 it was interesting to see that she did her best for the performance whereas she was not eagger to join the club at first, but now what, she doesn't really do something, she's just here because she's the heroine.

Shuuichi is good character since he's nice (and Hazuki felt in love with him because of that), he's seeing right through most of the people (he knows that Kumiko has a cynical side, he said in season 1 that Asuka seems too perfect to be really honest and we're seeing this now, and he's the one who said to Mamiko that's she's the reason why Kumiko decided to play music).

That's just my opinion but while season 1 was refreshing (except for the useless Kumiko-Reina thing), this season is my less entertaining anime of the season. I didn't like Mizore's arc and although Asuka and Mamiko's arc are interesting, I think they're doing too much with Kumiko being the heroine.
Dec 7, 2016 7:38 PM

Mar 2009
Natsuki continues to be a wonderful and selfless person.

Nice to finally get an Asuka episode. The show was in dire need of one. Little Asuka was so cute, btw.
MormegilDec 8, 2016 9:52 PM
Dec 19, 2016 2:22 PM

Jan 2013
Well that was some nice character development from Asuka.
Can't wait to see the nationals.
Jan 2, 2017 5:57 PM

May 2010
Surprisingly honest part of Asuka, can't say I dislike it.

Still, wtf was with Kaori tying her shoes? Pretty sure that at least Kumiko should be more disturbed by it :v It was pretty weird even for friends.

After this ep I'm starting to think that Asuka deep inside hates how innocent and caring Kaori is, I hope there will be some more drama about it >:D
Jan 8, 2017 7:32 AM

Sep 2016
nice suprise in asukas storyline, and i admire her friends for looking out for her 3 eps til those nationals
Facta Non Verba
Jan 20, 2017 6:55 PM

Jan 2016
It looked like Kaori was gonna die.

The comments about her blood being tasty didn't help.
Jan 24, 2017 5:40 PM

May 2012
Great development! Really like where this is going, let's see what the next episode has to offer!
Jan 27, 2017 3:04 AM

Mar 2015
Nice heart to heart stuff between Kumiko and Asuka
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Jan 27, 2017 10:52 AM

Jul 2009
So Asuka's dad is very famous, but it's odd that he never looked for his child to say something...
Feb 1, 2017 8:28 AM

Oct 2012
Reina and Kumiko
I can't see them together
It's not good for my mental, they're way too cute together

Seems Reina noticed about his wife now

What a beautiful sound
I wish I can hear it in real life
Eupho eh.. I want to find one!
"Signature removed"
Apr 15, 2017 10:18 AM

Apr 2015
8 objectively, 7 cos MC's Asuka
Apr 24, 2017 9:48 AM

Jun 2013
I've been waiting for something like this, getting to know Asuka on a more intimate level. The episode surely delivered. Kumiko seems to have managed to make her open up, but I don't think we're quite done yet.

I absolutely loved how, in the scene where Kumiko and Reina find Taki sleeping in the faculty room, the focus seamlessly transitioned from Kumiko to Reina. It also seems like while, at this point, Reina has become Kumiko's confidante (and the reverse is probably true), her personal issues are not ignored either. She's already onto the truth about Taki, and the truth will be very painful.

I'm not sure what the scene where Kaori ties Asuka's shoes really means. Is it a form of irony, that Asuka poses as someone independent, but she can't even tie her own shoes, figuratively? Is it a sign of progress, that she might actually accept help from other people, eventually?

It makes sense why it's been Natsuki who was able to keep in touch with Asuka, as the latter expressed a sense of camaraderie with Kumiko due to both of them playing the eupho. (Well, Natsuki is pretty awesome anyways.) This instrument from the title also seems to be an ironic symbol for Kumiko. The name "euphonium" (euphōnos, Ancient Greek) refers to "sweet voice", which is something that Kumiko doesn't quite have. I don't mean that her literal voice isn't nice (because it is), just that she is usually awkward in conversations. Still, she is indeed surprisingly perceptive, and when it matters the most she always has the right words, as Reina put it.

A little bit on-the-nose, but I like this transition. A fun bit of show-don't-tell.

You all brought up some very interesting points, but I still disagree about Shuuichi, and that any of his involvement in this anime adaptation is a mark of genius. I'd even go so far as to suggest that he could be completely cut from the anime, and the story wouldn't be all that different. I admit I definitely have a bias against him, but I also have a hard time identifying those subtle moments as evidence for Kumiko's true feelings for him.

"Kumiko tightened her grip on Reina's hand as Hazuki and Shuuichi left the scene with a close capture of her dejected face to the moment she is shown standing in front of the shoe-locker"

I interpreted these moments as to imply that Kumiko didn't want to reject Shuuichi head-on, because she was afraid of hurting the feelings of her childhood friend, or because it would be awkward and bothersome. She's been afraid of confrontation at that point, so it didn't seem far-fetched. So I don't think you should assume that no one else notices these moments; some people just interpret them differently. Creative intent be damned; this is art, after all.

The line about peeling the mask off sounded a lot more like "I want to get to know you even better," as opposed to "I'll make you realize your true feelings for Shuuichi". It's a surface level read, but this is just how I see it.

I'd also add that, to me, an arc about two characters engaging in some fun banter and visibly enjoying each other's company while gradually becoming closer friends, is a lot more interesting, and a lot more fun than a character harboring a hidden crush for another character who lacks any allure or mystery and barely has screen time anyways.
LeeTailorApr 24, 2017 10:31 AM
Feb 16, 2018 5:36 AM

Dec 2015
So much real talk in this episode, all the characters have grown a tonne since season 1. Asuka's tone is really beautiful, she's probably the best player in the band tbh. 100% confirmed now that she will play at nationals.
~
May 14, 2018 3:11 PM

Nov 2016
That Asuka smile must be protected,great to learn more about her.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 4, 2019 2:10 AM

Oct 2017
It was interesting to learn about Asuka’s past. I figured it was something like this since her mom seemed to have such a big problem with her playing euphonium. But it was sweet that her dad sent her the euph. It showed he was really still thinking of her. And I’m glad she continued to play even with her mom being against it.
I also really loved hearing her play for Kumiko at the river. It was a beautiful scene.
Jun 22, 2019 6:06 PM

Feb 2018
It seems like this time Asuka's smile is different from usual.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 7, 2016

145 by Remsimp333 »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 16, 2016

114 by narwhaal »»
Aug 3, 12:33 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

shanimebib - Dec 28, 2016

288 by qxoa »»
Jul 24, 11:01 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Nov 2, 2016

219 by slayer70 »»
Jul 7, 8:38 AM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 19, 2016

127 by Ston3_FreeN7 »»
May 25, 10:54 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.